Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Austrian mook posted:

It was so weird because nobody in this sub-forum gets suspended, hell, I wasn't suspended for something I posted here. You hear that? You're going soft Marty! Although I'm sure we'll all get banned come the playoffs.

there's a lot of leeway to tell someone they're being a retard and people tend to fall in line to peer pressure or something i dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

SAS is for chill bros who are chill :cheers:

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
I figured after picking last night I'd be picking again at some point today, and was ready to apologize for being so late on my pick. And here I am still like 5 picks out.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The New York Rangers are proud to select, yet another homer pick, Michael Del Zotto.

Signed through next year with a cap hit of $2.55m, at only 22 years old he already has over 100 points and nearly 250 NHL games played, regularly plays over 20 minutes per night, and has shown the ability to adapt and improve his defensive game. With a solid offensive game and an impressive and ever-improving defensive game, he is a player who will mature into an even more excellent defenseman.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yay I finally get to go!

With the final pick of the 5th round the Columbus Blue Jackets are proud to select

Joffrey Lupul

Joffrey Lupul has bounced around the league a bit, but he's a pure finisher, something that I don't have in abundance at the moment. A smooth skater with a wicked wrist shot he's a lock for 25g and 50pts a season. He excels when put on a line with speedy players and isn't short of skill. He's not the kind of player that can be counted on to lead an offence, but he's a premier secondary scorer.

His cap hit jumps up to $5.25M a season until he's 34 starting next year which is a far cry from a discount for a guy who has suffered from injury problems for the last few years, but I don't anticipate any big problems.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

ThinkTank posted:

Joffrey Lupul has bounced around the league a bit, but he's a pure finisher, something that I don't have in abundance at the moment.

Joffrey Lupul has been bounced around by the league a bit, and while he isn't finished, he has had an abundance of missed games this year.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh gently caress i couldnt decide between him and garrison. lupul is a legit first liner

picked garrison because you're a canucks fan and i forgot you watch toronto or something :mad:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lupul is good but I'd like to see him put 2 good, full, seasons together in a row.

If he were a lock for 50 pts he would have done it more than 3 times in his 8 year career. Has the skill, but clearly there are issues there.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 23, 2013

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Alex Goligoski is alright. He's a very valuable guy to have on the power play, and one of the better defenders around the league at the transition game - either by skating the puck into the attacking zone himself or making the first pass of a rush.

Yeah away from the puck he's not too good... I think he's a guy who would put up some really gaudy numbers on team with some major talent to work with, but he should also be protected from facing the tough defensive match-ups and PK time is probably not a good idea. Dallas just doesn't have those other options on their back end so Goligoski often ends up looking silly.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Lupul was actually 4th on my list (I ranked a few choices) for the last consensus pick. That cap hit/injury history scared me off juuuust a little bit.

I had

Purcell
MYSTERY MAN
MYSTERY MAN
Lupul

A Very Informative Post (TM)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Lupul is a lot to pay for a guy who might not even play half of your games but I probably would have picked him.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lupus loving owns, he is a lock for being awesome half of the time and injured the other half.

To be fair, most of the time he missed in his career was due to a misdiagnosed back/neck/whatever injury, but he has also been playing pretty recklessly with the Leafs so I am reasonably confident someone is going to cream him in the playoffs.

Also Zodijackwhatever you can suck it for making one of the first really good homer picks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Columbus Blue Jackets are proud (and surprised) to kick off the sixth round by returning to the Big Smoke and taking:

Jake Gardiner

Jake Gardiner is something of an enigma. At the age of 21 the fleet-footed blue liner stepped into the Maple Leafs lineup and immediately excelled. Putting up 30 points and playing 20+ minutes a night in his rookie season, and was repeatedly tipped as the next big thing in Toronto. However, a coaching change and the lockout saw him demoted to the AHL for the majority of 2012/13 having only seen a dozen games of NHL action this season with far less responsibility.

However, it's hard to pass up on a player like Gardiner. Part of a new breed of defencemen that developed following the most recent lockout, his game is built around speed and transition play rather than size and strength. Great vision and a nice outlet pass indicate that he has all the makings of a great PP quarterback. He'll look great paired with Alex Pietrangelo for the next decade. He'll be an RFA this summer, but his bizarre path to the NHL should see him sign a short term cap friendly deal that will give me the wiggle room I need to compete over the next few seasons.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Gardiner has undeniable upside but yeesh I'm surprised at how many prospects people are taking with great NHLers still on the board. Very, very surprised.

Like the Lupul pick though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

eXXon posted:

To be fair, most of the time he missed in his career was due to a misdiagnosed back/neck/whatever injury, but he has also been playing pretty recklessly with the Leafs so I am reasonably confident someone is going to cream him in the playoffs.

he missed most of his time to a blood infection! thats about as unrelated to hockey injuries as humanly possible

edit: lupul was my pick so uh, i'm about to go out and i might not be able to pick for a few hours. i seriously thought i was going to be able to just dump my exposition and go :mad:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Verviticus posted:

he missed most of his time to a blood infection! thats about as unrelated to hockey injuries as humanly possible

edit: lupul was my pick so uh, i'm about to go out and i might not be able to pick for a few hours. i seriously thought i was going to be able to just dump my exposition and go :mad:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/02/sports/la-sp-ducks-lupul-20101203

edit: pick someone arrgghh actually since jopo is next you can probably safely take your time cause there aren't going to be any more picks tonight.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Vigilance posted:

Gardiner has undeniable upside but yeesh I'm surprised at how many prospects people are taking with great NHLers still on the board. Very, very surprised.

I've watched enough of Gardiner in the last two years to say that at worst he'll a John-Michael Liles is his prime type. A great skater and a good passer, his style of play is the way the league is going IMO. Caryle's decision to leave him in the AHL makes no sense to me as he was clearly way too good for it (31 pts in 43 games)and he'd already shown he could play at the NHL level. Had he been with the Leafs all year he'd have gone a lot higher.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The New York Rangers are proud to select Andy Greene. A veteran defenseman who eats minutes like Dustin Byfuglien eats... everything... at a buffet, he's currently a #1D for the Devils and we need a savvy veteran to shut things down back there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I've watched enough of Gardiner in the last two years to say that at worst he'll a John-Michael Liles is his prime type. A great skater and a good passer, his style of play is the way the league is going IMO. Caryle's decision to leave him in the AHL makes no sense to me as he was clearly way too good for it (31 pts in 43 games)and he'd already shown he could play at the NHL level. Had he been with the Leafs all year he'd have gone a lot higher.

I just think some of these guys would have lasted far longer. I guess it's ok to spring on them now if you're super high on them but I feel like people are jumping the gun with some of these prospect picks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Vigilance posted:

Top prospects are worth way more than the veterans still on the board. Look at what solid veterans get traded for at the deadline and it's rarely ever a team's top prospects, usually a late 1st and the #3-5 prospect or something. Sure you know what you're getting with veterans, but some of these kids have a decent shot at being top 10 players in the league at some point in their careers.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

picked garrison because you're a canucks fan and i forgot you watch toronto or something :mad:

I've lived in Toronto for 5 of the last 6 years so I'm pretty familiar with their team (and can't help but love them). I was seriously considering Garrison though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

Top prospects are worth way more than the veterans still on the board. Look at what solid veterans get traded for at the deadline and it's rarely ever a team's top prospects, usually a late 1st and the #3-5 prospect or something. Sure you know what you're getting with veterans, but some of these kids have a decent shot at being top 10 players in the league at some point in their careers.

Part of why veterans are the ones traded is because that's what people actually want. Nobody wants Jake Gardiner to help them compete right now.

Heck, even the playoff-bound-Stanley-Cup-Winningly-Coached Toronto Maple Leafs don't want Jake Gardiner right now. ;)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
MDZ and Dandy Andy?

You son of a bitch.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

There are a lot of legitimate top line guys still out there, some of which aren't even old.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Part of why veterans are the ones traded is because that's what people actually want. Nobody wants Jake Gardiner to help them compete right now.

Heck, even the playoff-bound-Stanley-Cup-Winningly-Coached Toronto Maple Leafs don't want Jake Gardiner right now. ;)

Not many good veterans left out there are on great deals. In a cap world you have to look at bang for buck and hope that your younger players step it up while still on their rookie deals. Teams with depth are generally the best year in and year out, being top heavy tends to kill a lot of teams. Your bottom 2 lines still play 1/3 of the game for you.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

myron cope posted:

SAS is for chill bros who are chill :cheers:

i only really post in sas and yospos so i got probated for three loving days for posting in tviv where they are super uptight and you can get banned for improper use of punctuation

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Not many good veterans left out there are on great deals. In a cap world you have to look at bang for buck and hope that your younger players step it up while still on their rookie deals. Teams with depth are generally the best year in and year out, being top heavy tends to kill a lot of teams. Your bottom 2 lines still play 1/3 of the game for you.

Young guys are often on deals that aren't in fact deals. RNH is a great example. Right now his deal is mediocre. His cap hit is close to 4 with all those bonuses. Justin Schultz is in the same situation. I picked him, so I'm obviously ok with it in some cases, but I certainly don't think Schultz is worth the money he is being paid.

Also, great depth is not having a bunch of 21 year olds playing for you in your bottom two lines.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Dammit, I hoped Gardiner was going to slip under the radar.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

... okay, but buyers are rarely ever willing to trade their top prospect, even from a thin talent pool, and the sellers rarely ever seem to be able to drive up prices high enough to fetch, say, a former top 10 pick who's developed roughly according to plan. You didn't see the Leafs dump Gardiner to pick up ***REDACTED*** at the deadline.

Plus, drafting has become way better in the past few years. Erik Johnson's pretty much the only first overall pick who hasn't really met expectations recently and the success rate on top picks has been getting better. Most of the busts/dissapointments have been goalies or picks that even at the time were identified as reaches.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Dammit, I hoped Gardiner was going to slip under the radar.

Yeah, uh, that's not going to happen with players from the Leafs, Canucks, Rangers, or any other fanbase that's overrepresented here.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 23, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

the talent deficit posted:

i only really post in sas and yospos so i got probated for three loving days for posting in tviv where they are super uptight and you can get banned for improper use of punctuation

I posted in games and one guy got all look at me I'm so cool and I called him out and we goth got probated. Realistically I think I should have only been him but I can see why they want to cut down on bullshit so they don't put up with anything. Pretty fair I guess.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

It's jopo again right? Why doesn't someone just replace him? Myron? You can still be consensus.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

... okay, but buyers are rarely ever willing to trade their top prospect, even from a thin talent pool, and the sellers rarely ever seem to be able to drive up prices high enough to fetch, say, a former top 10 pick who's developed roughly according to plan.

Plus, drafting has become way better in the past few years. Erik Johnson's pretty much the only first overall pick who hasn't really met expectations recently and the success rate on top picks has been getting better. Most of the busts/dissapointments have been goalies or picks that even at the time were identified as reaches.

Yeah, uh, that's not going to happen with players from the Leafs, Canucks, Rangers, or any other fanbase that's overrepresented here.

Drafting hasn't gone better? It's pretty much the same it was before.

Go look at some of the drafts from the 80s and 90s. The first overall is almost always either a great player, or a defenseman. Hell, even Daigle (huge bust!) played 600 NHL games.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Young guys are often on deals that aren't in fact deals. RNH is a great example. Right now his deal is mediocre. His cap hit is close to 4 with all those bonuses. Justin Schultz is in the same situation. I picked him, so I'm obviously ok with it in some cases, but I certainly don't think Schultz is worth the money he is being paid.

Also, great depth is not having a bunch of 21 year olds playing for you in your bottom two lines.

For all intents and purposes the cap hits for Gardiner, Schultz and the Nuge are $925,000. Bonuses are calculated very differently than pure cap money (you can exceed the cap with them as much as you like and the money is then removed from your total allowable salary the next year). Adding to that rookie bonuses are pre-set and often quite difficult to hit so only Crosby/Kane/Toews types will hit them (usually based on awards like win the Conn Smythe, Win the Ted Lindsay, Win the Hart Trophy). Rookie contracts are a great deal no matter who has them.

And no having a team of teenagers isn't going anywhere, but young players that can actually play are invaluable because a) they're cheap and b) they allow you to fill out your team with actual NHLers on your lower lines and not just fill in scrubs or afford slightly better talent among your top end players.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

i am not so sure posted:

It's jopo again right? Why doesn't someone just replace him? Myron? You can still be consensus.

Verviticus, then jopo.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

Drafting hasn't gone better? It's pretty much the same it was before.

Go look at some of the drafts from the 80s and 90s. The first overall is almost always either a great player, or a defenseman. Hell, even Daigle (huge bust!) played 600 NHL games.

It's not just first overall, it's through most of the first round. Fewer players are becoming outright busts (<100 NHL GP) than they were in the late 90s/early 00s.

Like for example, GMs mostly stopped drafting giant defensemen who can't skate or pass worth a poo poo in the first round. Anyone remember uhhh what's their drat names Kristian Kudroc, Branislav Mezei, I guess Vitaly Vishnevsky turned out better than most, Mathieu Biron, Brad Ference, I think there were a few more European guys. Also sorry if any of these guys have AHL contracts still, they are terrible and half of them retired.

Oh yeah, Ruslan Salei. He actually played close to 1000 games but still sucked. Lance Ward, Jonathan Aitken and Dan Focht were all drafted around him for being big and played a whopping 335 games combined.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 23, 2013

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

eXXon posted:

THEN YA'LL GET THE gently caress OFF MY TEAM'S BANDWAGON

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

It's not just first overall, it's through most of the first round. Fewer players are becoming outright busts (<100 NHL GP) than they were in the late 90s/early 00s.

Busts / Number drafted

90: 3 / 21
91: 3 / 21
92: 8 / 24
93: 4 /26
94: 9 /26
95: 6 /26
96: 11 /26
97: 12 /26
98: 5 / 27
99: 12 / 28

2004: 9 / 30
2005: 10 / 30
2006: 10 / 30
2007: 8 / 30
2008: 11 / 30

Nope. Drafting hasn't gotten any better. It's still a loving crapshoot.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

i am not so sure posted:

I'll try it I suppose, if jopo doesn't return by his pick. I wouldn't want to continue doing consensus though if someone else wants to do it.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

myron cope posted:

I'll try it I suppose, if jopo doesn't return by his pick. I wouldn't want to continue doing consensus though if someone else wants to do it.

Please do take over for him. It's such a momentum killer to see I'm two picks off every other round, then have to wait for a day and a half to make my pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jordan7hm posted:

Nope. Drafting hasn't gotten any better. It's still a loving crapshoot.

Teams gave up on busts a lot later in 90s. Pat Falloon and Alexandre Daigle got 5 seasons each with the Sharks/Sens. Drafting is much better today.

• Locked thread