Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Civar Kit'An (Eosis)

I touched my Hammerite icon, hidden in plain sight as a simple necklace, to activate it and contact those smiths nearest to Eosis. Shortly, I had a list of names, safe places to stay and reliable sources of information. Turning to Aideen I said: "I want to try and find the evil I sensed in this town without warning it that we're here. That means I can't use my powers to find it at least not directly and I think it's best that you don't either. It's bound to have left a trail of chaos and bloodshed though, if it wasn't for these riots it would be easy to find, but the friends we've been making have given me the names of some people who usually have a good feel for what's going on. Time to beat the pavement and see what we can scare up. Fortunately, I come into new towns all the time as a tinker, and always have to tease news out of the locals in order to avoid running into bandits or getting cheated by the town trickster, this shouldn't be too different."

As we exited onto the street I wondered where Eisner(Ilvis) was? He should have been here by now. I sent a thought winging his way through the badly mutilated Raven's Claw token I'd forged for him. "Where in the Three Hells of Haref are you? This city is a battlefield just waiting to run red. The place is split straight down the middle between some nutjob named Edo and the Emperor."

Trying to track down Beltheus's house by locating the area of greatest non-war-related violence. If one of my contacts has heard about the Emperor's transformation that would be awesome. The kind of questions I can ask without leaving a trail pointing back to me are pretty vague, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if I got pointed to Edo instead.

Mortal action total +6
Tinker +4
Stage Magician +2 (to pick out the lies and exaggerations and discard them)
Hammerite Cult contacts
Aiden +? Witches are supposed to be good at reading/understanding people, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Adam - coming home to Sellos

Well, that had been, despite nearly dying, fun. Definitely fun. Sighs had been seen, people met, he had come up with a new metal somehow that blew everything he had ever made away...

wait... he thought, as he and the entourage neared the village of Sells. That means that all of my axes are obsolete...

An itch ran through his mind. It had been a good month since he last made anything even remotely Axe-like, and his mouth was drooling at the concept of new shapes he could pull off. Hell, steel was light enough, he could make that double headed axe he had been dreaming about since he turned dwarf.

Not that he dreamt about axes... Much... Anymore...

He straightened his head with a knock on his temple. This was not the time for that. He had business to take care of first. Then... he thought grinning, he would be hitting Fel's forge like there was no tomorrow.

Action: home sweet home. Going to double check the new recruits. Make sure they're all comfy.

Leader + 2(divine): these are my people now. Have to keep them happy
Calm and composed +2: just taking my time with them. They all already know me, so no big deal.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo, Eosia, Eisos Marketplace

With a brand new spell fashioned, Edo and Val get to work, first tracking down a user, then grilling them about their supplier. Slowly but surely the failed leader and possible son of the sun god tries to make his way up the chain towards the originator of the corruption.

As he goes, Edo enlists the help of his followers, especially the fishermen and sailors down at the docks who keep the city supplied and are often aware of the most questionable of endeavours, but also the magisters and the common people, calling on them to find out who's behind the drug that's destroying the city.

By working together, he hopes, the people of Eisos can free themselves and in the process unearth the evil at the root of the city's problems.

Continuing the action of last round. Relevant qualities are +?? followers, +2 Charming, +2 strength (intimidation where charm doesn't work), +?? Val, +2 Divine Magic (there's a spell to compel truth, another to compel wisdom, a third to heal a man of vice - even if only for a moment), and of course whatever upshift comes from developing a spell purely to locate the afflicted.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir-Elysian Sands

Mazir had been pleased at the result of the armor test. They were automatons, they would do what he asked to the letter. The perfect soldiers.

The concept has worked, and we have a beautiful creation. My learners, in a short amount of time, we will be leaving these lands to spread the sands. I need you to make a force of these things, as many as you can. As you can see souls are floating around us, wasting away, use this fuel to create these new engines of war. I require 24 to be made each day if you can manage that. We march in one month, if you can work hard that can mean 700 such creatures ready to march and fight for us. Think, an army of immortal warriors fighting for our cause, acting as shock troops, fighting the harder battles so your loved ones do not have to risk dying. Think of them while you assemble these creations, each one you make will save scores more of our own soldiers in the field!

Looking to an assembled crowed, Mazir raised a hand and spoke, amplifying his voice with his magic, enhancing his presences to help stir passions and motivate his people for the coming crusade.

PEOPLE! He boomed I am pleased with this progress, soon the great crusade of sand will begin. In one months time we ride to our destiny! As we speak our, new automated soldiers will begin to rise, they will be our core shock troops. Our magisters train with ever greater diligence, our smiths craft finer and finer weapons and our soldiers learn new deadly arts everyday! The world will be unprepared for our glorious advance and when the sands pour forth, the world will know our glory. Work hard my friends, for the hour is approaching and every small contribution helps! The smallest stone, the tiniest repair, the extra rivet forged brings us one step closer to victory!!!

Motivating my people to get some extra war production out before we kick start this crusade. Then helping manage production.

[+2 Charisma] Using my natural speaking talents to motivate my people

[+4 Magic] Magically enhancing my voice and presences to help with said motivations to prepare for the war.

[+4 Intelligence] Using my intelligence to help with book keeping and planing out the production needed to prepare for this grand crusade.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Ilvis (Eosia, south east districts)

As Eisner sweeps the area with his sword the fire running along it seems to dim for a moment, flickering as if it was about to go out. Yet the blade is not extinguished and in the dying light something is illuminated. The plants around the group and the sight begin to glow in a soft black light as strange as it was to see. The light reveals something that Eisner had not truly noticed before, that the plants themselves seem to be covered in far more blood than they ought to be. The sword shudders in his grip and Eisner feels the touch of another at work here. The feeling is fading but whatever Ilvis, Civar and Daveron have become, she knows that the same force is at work here. The feeling starts leading off to the mountains to the south east, which separate the desert east of Eosia to the east of Arandia. Those are tough duchies that make their money from metal and goods made in the smith. They've always been a hotbed, mostly because they have the natural resources to be the best equipped in Arandia. Fortunately their arrogance in this meant they were also not as well trained, which offset their advantage and kept them on an equal footing with the other duchies of Arandia. Still, Ilvis knows she will likely face a hostile reception is that is truly where the culprit went.

Success, you have the start of a trail, or a full trail, you're unsure right now, to follow. Additionally you know that something with powers like Civar, Daveron and yourself is at work here.

Kovar (Taeless, Mount Wurde)

Kovar soon discovers that a mountain lion does not act or think in the same way that a person does. That is not to say that he cannot figure out what it will do, for in its own way the lion will act along a very predictable set of variables. However this does not mean that his chase is easy. It takes some time to track a lion and during this time Kovar swiftly learns that his new size is not always a boon in the rocky mountains. For a while Kovar tries to chase down a lion, but the beasts can slip through gaps between boulders and crevices that Kovar now cannot. It combines the grace of a housecat with honed experience and a greater size.

But that wasn't what Kovar needed to do. He did not need the best, the most wily, the most powerful mountain lion for his task. Such an endeavour would still be risky for him, although he felt sure the beast would find it very difficult by now to actually kill him. But he could do with a little less, as long as he had one in front of him he could work with it. So instead of trying to find the mountain lion, Kovar brought it to him by killing a wild goat and leaving its carcass out in a clearing. Surely as he knew it would, after some time a lion sneaks forth warily into the clearing to investigate the chance of a free meal.

Success, although if you do actually want the very best mountain lion around you'll need to keep chasing it down.

Civar (Eosia, Eisos)

Civar finds that most of the violence occurring in the city that is not directly connected to the war seems to stem from a drug of some kind. All of the people who know of it call it the Demon's Dust, although none are sure why. It gives a short period of euphoria and confidence, before leaving the user frustrated and wanting more. Logically you assumed that if you followed the chain of supply you would find the one responsible for its manufacture, or at least local distribution. Yet you are stymied by the fact that no one seems to know who is really supplying it. Strangers seem to appear, or people who are dead or cannot be there and hand it out to people, seemingly for free which is the most confusing part of the whole affair. Some small time criminals seem to be trying to horde and sell it, but their supply comes free from elsewhere.

But the most concerning thing of all is the stench of chaos and something else it leaves behind. The slums and poor sections of the city stink of it, the sensation almost overpoweringly disgusting to Civar. You do find out that the man this side of the city seems to be following, Edo Blackwater who was the one with the walking and talking statue, is trying to track down and cure those afflicted by it. Often against the sufferer's desires, until they are healed.

Partial success. You find out something is going on, but your mortal qualities aren't quite enough to beat out the demonic distribution network Beltheus has going.

Adam (Taeless, Under-Sellos)

Wait. He had a temple? When exactly had this happened? Adam didn't really remember building a temple, or even asking for one to be built. The most disturbing thing of all was that it was a temple dedicated to him. This had to be Thadroin's idea, but there would be time to deal with that later.

The travellers seemed to be settling in alright. Only three of them had been dwarf-ified already but the others seemed to be getting close to it as far as Adam could tell. Having watched it happen enough by now he was starting to get a handle on the process. The first part seemed to be getting over the shock and fear of the Dwarves being different enough to essentially be their own race. Then after this acceptance the person started to realise that they had things in common with them, or wished to have things in common. Adam was also suspicious this step was sped up substantially if they had family involved in this process as well, or at least a very close friend. Finally there seemed to be a point where the person stopped thinking of themselves as outside of the group of Dwarves and mentally started including themselves. There was a short period of starting to take on habits and mannerisms before the actual final physical and full mental adjustment.

But it seemed that many of the blacksmiths were close enough that they had little to change, although the other craftsman might take a bit longer. There was a joy in gaining more people to his people, as well as a little addictive rush of power. As more people became Dwarves Adam himself felt...well not literally bigger but metaphysically bigger. A reservoir within him grew a little bigger each time. And this temple...well despite being incredibly embarrassing fed into this as well. However it felt right and good to Adam in a way that he couldn't quite explain. Maybe Thadroin or Kovar would get it though.

The people are mostly fine and comfortable (when not hitting their heads), and are adjusting well. I added in more flavour as well to give you a bit more to work with.

Edo (Eosia, Eisos)

Every time Edo gets close to someone truly important, they seem to vanish into thin air or disappear as if they had never existed. It is unbelievable, with his art and power that someone and something is managing to evade him. He knows it is out there but he can't track it down.

Later that day reports come from the front lines that the Emperor has publicly renounced the Sun God. More disturbing is that he seems to be invested with magic of his own now, and pays homage to to a new god named "Beltheus".

But during all of this there comes some good news, possibly. Someone else in the city is trying to track down the source of the Demon Dust, a man named Civar who hails from Arandia and is accompanied by a witch. They too struggle to track down the final source of the Dust but perhaps together you might have better luck. Or he might have another agenda at work, you're unsure. What you do know is that more...power has begun to congregate in Eisos.

You had a similar run of bad luck to Civar, but with your Divine attribute (I ignored Strength as it wasn't relevant to the roll) you had a better chance. Unfortunately you failed your contested roll against Beltheus this time.

Mazir (Elysian Sands, Elysia)

Mazir found his work effective, until he ran into a critical issue. Metal was not plentiful or easily acquired in the desert. Your worshippers would need a supply to continue the work, as well as additional souls. For the time being your people cannibalised any available smithable and workable materials but they would only go so far for now. It was a catch, you would need those forces to acquire more and yet you were currently unable to make them until you had the resources. Your people estimated they could make about 100, which they could get done within the week. They were very eager to impart that they were not being held up by lack of will, and there was a fevered and fearful fervour to their attitudes. Clearly they were still all mortally afraid of you, but no one wished to risk your displeasure and so were eager to impress and appease you as much as possible.

Success, but you've got other issues to deal with first unless you can think of workarounds.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Mount Wurde

Kovar leaps, grabbing the cat in his large arms. His size might be an impediment when trying to nimbly move through the mountain passes, but when it came to getting the upper hand wrestling a big cat into submission it was a major asset. Once he finally had the cat properly grasped and restrained, he turns his focus inward, tuning out the lion's snarls. There is no fire, no trite metaphor this time. He has come to a deeper understanding of his power, and so having centered himself he simply wills the lion to change. As he did with Burd, he seeks to grant it power, he wills it to be strong, fast, and tough, more; and as with Burd he seeks not simply to make it powerful, but to make it a soldier. He pours in discipline and soldierly traits such as respect for superiors in from the inexhaustible well within him. The same well that has given him the understanding of war and conflict necessary to read the complex tides of battle like one might read a book.

So it is that the general tries to tame this beast, and make it into his soldier and companion, just as he has tried to tame Sellos and make into the cornerstone of a new and better world. He did not need to hunt down the best mountain lion, just as he did not need seek out the strongest town, because he knew down to the very core of his being that he would make them the best, the strongest. He would make his new, better world or he would die trying. He knew he was not alone in his goal, Adam strove with him in the dwarf's own way. In these hills however, all that existed was he and the beast below him, so he turned all his will and all his power to complete his task, his entire cause in miniature.

Trying to super-soldierize the mountain lion, much like Burd.

Strength[+2] - To grant the cat power, stamina, agility, to make it more than it is.

Divine Strategy[+2] - To tame the cat/make it a soldier, to share that ineffable spark just as he did with Burd before.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar Kit'An (Eosis slums)

I let the small time criminal slump in his seat. Disgust filled me as his whimpering followed me out the door. Disgust at him for the most part, but also from the fumes rising from the ashes of his stock of dust that I'd tossed in the fire. I'd only had to show him my knife trick twice before he broke. And I'd barely knicked him. He didn't know where the dust came from, but he knew a bar nearby where a stranger appeared every night with more of the foul drug. I looked up at the stars and breathed deeply of the sewer-stench filling the cold night air. Even with the hint of smoke in the air from fires started by all the fighting recently, it still smelled as sweet and pure as the air of a mountain clearing compared to the stench of the dust. The delivery man should be arriving soon. I was tired of questioning these idiots, the delivery man would have to know where he got the dust from. I'd follow the chain all the way back to the source, and I'd do it before this Edo did. I would be the one to restore Order to this city. I felt it in my bones.

As I walked towards the bar, I checked my chosen tools. A forty pound bar of iron-stock with a rough manacle crudely hammered onto it. When the delivery man tried to give me some of the dust, I'd snap the manacle closed around his wrist and lock it, that ought to make running difficult for him. Next, a handful of potions on my belt. Most notably a pair of speed potions I'd prepared when I was still worried that pursuit might catch up to me and Aideen. Finally, Tinker's Treasure. I'd only had it for a short time now, but it felt right riding on my hip, and light as a feather in my hand. If the delivery man tried to fight, well... any fight between human bones and a fifteen pound forge hammer is a short one.

Where was Eisner? I turned my thoughts towards the token he bore and once again sent: "I'm on my way to talk to a man who might know where to find that world-shaking evil we felt. I'm meeting him on the Street of Foul Smells. If I don't see you there, I'll get in touch again and let you know what I learned. Just in case."

Mortal Action: Catching/interrogating a demon dust delivery man (demon)
M Tinker +4 - I'm strong, and I've got heavy shackles
Tinker's Treasure +? - A magic order, truth, justice, witch magic hammer
M Maybe Alchemy +2 (If I have to chase him)

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 17, 2013

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Beltheus

Beltheus has had success with the Emperor, but there's also Davos to deal with. He hates. Beltheus is comfortable with hate. And he suspects this Edo is his enemy. So, if he can turn Davos to his side, he could be a powerful servant, or at the least, tool to stop Edo. He hunts down the man, trying to focus on his hatred, his resentment...all that is a beacon to one such as Beltheus. Yes, this man was his. He just didn't know it yet.

Beltheus appears before him. "Hello, Davos. I'm Beltheus, and I'm here to give you what you want." He holds out a package of Demon Dust. "Oh, not this. This is just a gift for you. I'm here to give you the power to defeat your enemy. I'm here to give you your revenge against Edo Blackwater." He smiles.

Talking to him. If he's willing, demonizing him. +2 Demonic Duke, +4 Persuasion

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

"No, none of this seems quite right. Alright I'll tell you what, I'll-"

Sensing a tingling in my pocket I pull out the magical coin Civar minted for me, holding up a hand for silence as I listen to his magical message.

"I'll go to the capital and report this to the Magisters myself, at once. Head back to your homes, make sure your doors and windows are barred at night, keep up your patrols, and please do try to look out for one another."

Whistling for my horse I step back as it bursts into the clearing dramatically, waiting patiently for it to finish cantering and staring down the locals before slipping atop it's back. Leaning forward I whisper into it's metallic ear as I snap the Sword into place.

"To the capital then, I think Civar may have a sudden and dramatic need for a knight in shining armour."

Nah I'll call it good enough for now and head on over to Civar then. Maybe use the coin/horse/sword to zoom in on his location somehow? Might be it works that way if I use all three in conjunction like that? Either way Action: Travel to the capital atop my amazing mechanical horse, homing in Civar (presumably uncontested).

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Farro Kapersi - Taelos, Amast Bevy
Update 3

Farro turned and gave her one of those looks. You know, the one that says ”You’re good. I’m better.” He nodded his head over her shoulder, gesturing that she should join with the others. Twilight filtered down onto the procession through the leaves and branches of the small copse of trees he had marked for the meeting spot. Leaning his back against a gnarled old beech tree with his arms crossed (and not unintentionally in position to throw a few knives if the situation warranted it), Farro addressed the others.

“I’m not a patient man, so I’m going to get down to brass tacks. You lot know firsthand that life’s a bit poo poo round these parts. Well, turns out it’s a bit poo poo everywhere. I was in Taelos a week ago and it was poo poo. I was born in the crummy part of Val Lichett, and guess what? It was poo poo there. Hell, it’s why I got into The Business.”

He leered at one of the younger ones about to ask a question: “Yes, Val Lichett is a real place. No, it’s not near here. No, it doesn’t matter if I’m lying because you drat well know everywhere is a lovely place to be right now anyways. No questions, just listen.”

He paused to sigh and continued. “The root of the problem is simple: it’s just how the world works. The strong kill the weak, the rich own the poor, the smart trap the stupid, the fast beat the slow. Everyone has to clamor all over each other to claim their own little piece of the dungheap. ‘Course, that’s how the animals do it. But humans ain’t beasts. We’re smarter than that, and we’ve come up with a better solution. It’s called Order. You put all the little duckies in a row, and things move smoother. Food gets where it needs to, the sick get tended to, and there’s no need for backstabbing sneakthieves like us. But the idea’s tainted. There’s still that little bit of the natural way stuck in our heads. So instead of the well oiled wheel, Order’s all gunked up with greed, self-interest, all the fun little trappings of Chaos.”

Taking off one of his gloves, Farro picked idly at some crud under one of his nails. “So most people put that idea of Order out of their heads. True Order isn’t possible, they say. Or maybe only an imperfect realization of it. Turns out that’s all a load of hogwash and we just need to get off our lazy asses and make it happen.”

His eyes burn with the flame of confidence in what he’d seen. “I’ve seen it. Or felt it. There’s not a word for it, to be blunt. But it’s there. And it came to me, because as some hilarious cosmic joke, turns out I’m one of the schmucks who can do something about it. I’ve got a little bit of that Order in me that I can use. And I know what you’re thinking: ‘He’s a goddamned delusional madman, going on about primal Order and he’s got magic fiddlybits and I’m going to stab him a lot of times in a few moments because he’s wasting my time and he’s dangerous blah blah et cetera et cetera.’ And you’re welcome to have a go, if you like being facedown in the dirt with a knife in you throat. But before you do that, let’s all be quiet for just, oh, 30 seconds.”

It was a tense 30 seconds. This Farro guy was amusing, at least. Maybe he’d say some more laughable dribble before they got tired of him. “Now think about that. You’ve all got keen ears, otherwise you’d have been drummed out a long time ago. So tell me: What did you hear?”

A beefy specimen with a nasty scar across his cheek squinted and gruffly responded. “Ain’t heard nothing. No wind out today, I’d hear a fly fart round these parts.”

Farro nodded sagely. “Then how do you explain that dear Elice has been pacing back and forth for the last few minutes, on half a foot of dried leaves and foliage, not a yard behind you?” There was a brief explosion of movement as the group all turned and watched Elice walking back and forth, clearly lost in thought. She perked up and stared back at everyone, shrugging. “Crazy of not, Farro’s got something I’ve never seen before. He asks me to round you guys up, says if I do it I get light feet for two weeks. And damned if it didn’t work. ‘Course he also told me once I agreed to the bargain, I couldn’t turn back. Tried to do it too, thought he was an idiot for... “paying” me up front. Turns out he’s not lying about that either. Just... an itch in the back of your head that gets worse and worse if you try to break the deal. A little creepy, to be honest, but if some loony magic contract makes you keep your word, I can believe all this praddle about ‘Order’ he’s spouting.” She emphasized the “Order” with scare quotes using her fingers.

A loud whistle came from behind their heads, and they all turned around again to focus on Farro. “So all I have to do is fix the whole damned world. Which, being honest, is a little much for one man to do. I need help. But if you want to treat a wound, you have to clean it first. Get all the dead and diseased tissue out. And you can either cut off the whole damned limb, or you can be more subtle about it. Drain the bad blood with leeches. Use dayfly maggots to eat all the bad flesh, and save the healthy stuff. Fight fire with fire, fight chaos with chaos. That’s me, and that’s you. We root out the bad side of things, the nasty unmentionables. We do it because we know where it is. It’s us. It’s the people on the bottom scrambling up trying to pull the people on the top down, and it’s the people on the top stepping on everyone else to keep them in their place.”

“We’ll need help, of course. Even assuming you all feel like joining up, it’s 14 ‘gainst the whole natural world. That’s where the Other Place comes in. The place where Order exists, that hired me for this job. They’ve got power and knowledge. But Order’s not stable in this world. It hasn’t coalesced here yet. So we have to pull it in, kicking and screaming through whatever has kept it out. And for that, we need a sacrifice, a source of energy.”

He cut off the interjections again: “No, no. I’ve already considered slicing up a goat or something but it needs to be voluntary. We have to want Order, we can’t bring it here with an unwilling sacrifice. Maybe money or food or whatever the hell else people’ve used in sacrifices before might work, but I say that’s too drat easy. No, we need to sacrifice a life, or even a few lives, willingly and preferably without bloodshed.”

He leaned forward onto the balls of his feet, and stretched his back, finally ending up standing straight in from of the tree. “So here’s the fun part. I told you this’d be an easy job with good rewards. And that’s an option; one of three, in fact. Option 1: You do the right thing for once. You help yourself, your loved ones, hell, the whole damned world. You come with me to the ruins of Kitan-Atan and we do a magic jig or something to break down the wall, we we save the loving world. Option 2 is the easy job I was talking about : We enter a little contract here and now. You get a minor boon of your choice like I gave to Elice, and in turn you never speak of what I just told you again. To anyone. And trust me when I saw Elice is not lying; this is a deal you can’t weasel out of. Option 3 is the one you’d rather not take. Option 3 is where you don’t agree to help, you don’t agree to silence, and then I have to kill you because I’m not ready for the party to start yet.”

He calmly drew a pair of throwing knives from his underarm holsters, and turned his head to one side, spitting on the ground.

“Make your choice. Daylight’s burning, and I’ve got a job to do.”

Using Divine: Contracts +2 on anyone who agrees to option 2: sealed lips in exchange for a relatively insignificant boon.

Using Mortal: Charismatic Leader +4 during the speech to emphasize my point, and attempt to recruit some followers.

And if anyone decides to get sassy, looks like I’ll be entering combat unless they feel like just letting me fill them with lethal holes.

Farro Does Not gently caress Around Count: 1

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 23, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Val Aman, Val Setin, Crypts

Octagon calls upon the favor Elkud promised so long ago. The priest is, of course, none-too-pleased with getting his marker called in, finding himself back in the catacombs.

"Welcome home, Elkud. I trust you are well? Good, good. I have a task for you. You shall be my ambassador, for I have business with the men and women of the city above. A sickness looms over your city. But do not fret, for I have the cure. I needs speak with a particular alchemist, and then a few more. We will need them to distribute the cure. As I'm sure you realize, I cannot very well ask them to do so directly! Wouldn't want to cause a panic, after all..."

I am calling upon Elkud to act as an emmissary for me to alchemists and convince them to go along with my scheme and help distribute the trigger toxin. First stop is going to be the guy who sold me the poisons! Elkud better be a smooth talker, or he's lunch.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 17, 2013

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Farro Kaperski

Everyone around the circle sort of went quiet for a while. In the end it was Elice that spoke in the silence, her voice piercing through it like an arrow through the night. "Farro. Will you protect my daughter?" She asked softly, which earned her a number of surprised looks from the circle. Had she managed to keep it a secret all this time? She was the last person you imagined to have a child and yet, there was a sincerity to her which inclined you to believe she spoke truly. Farro never remember exactly what he said after that, he agreed but the words seemed unimportant when Elice nodded, took out her dagger and stabbed herself with it. She crumpled to the ground wordlessly, a distant and serene look in her eyes as she did so.

The world exploded into light and sound, blinding and deafening everyone in the clearing. Although Farro would always swear he heard a voice saying "It is always the mother who will give all for her child." Then it struck Farro, a wave of emotion so deep and intense that it threatened to tear him apart. Unable to stop himself tears filled his eyes as the full force of Elice's love for her daughter ran through him like lightning striking a tree. That she was willing to destroy herself and everything else to ensure her daughter's welfare and safety. Farro had never experienced anything like it in his life and understanding it now made him feel more complete, whole in a way he would have been unable to define before this.

In the aftermath of this stood a single shining arch made of what appeared to be white gold marble. Then a crack in the air like the crack between two doors opening split, spilling radiance out onto the field as Elice opened the door. There hovered behind her for a moment the figure of Anmiel smiling gently and regretfully. Farro sensed though he had not done anything wrong, but could not shake the feeling that the angel had somehow expected this. Inside the door was a world of light. Simple, orderly, clean and pure. It was familar to Farro, almost a part of him and he knew that it belonged to him, somehow.

Farro gains the Divine Trait of Love [+2] as well as a mirroring Demesne to Beltheus.

Kovar

Wrestling with a lion even at your size is not a thing to be taken lightly. Fortunately though Kovar has the advantage of literally super human strength, once he grabs the lion the battle is over. The lion for its part did a fairly good job of circling Kovar and feinting, unfortunately Kovar was able to figure out which was actually a proper lunge and which was not as the lion was a simple creature by nature. The first true lunge it made at Kovar, he grabbed it and held it into submission. This was not a particularly pleasant transformation for either of the pair wrestling. The lion struggled against Kovar's will and power and the change that invaded its body was as a result painful for it. Kovar for his part could feel the pain as well.

Monster to leprechauns and tiny-folk everywhere

It worked in the end, and the mountain lion was bent to Kovar's will. But there was a fire in its heart and a wildness that he could not quite stamp out without making it less useful. As a result the beast would obey Kovar's commands, such that a creature no matter how large can, but should any other try to touch it or order it around it would become agitated and likely to turn on them.

Partial success, it's not a perfect soldier for anyone except for you.

But then you felt another gut wrenching crack as something else happened. This one was closer, to the south east of you. It felt less wrong, closer to your nature in some ways than the other one. Yet it tore through you like a pain as the world was once again physically changed in a fundamental aspect.

Civar

God Combat in an alleyway posted:

Arhuon's attack
Defence +2 Divine: 2d6+2 7
Attack +2 Divine: 2d6+2 7

Civar's counter attack
Attack +2 Divine: 2d6+2 10
Defence +2 Divine: 2d6+2 13

No damage either side.

Civar was quite surprised the man he started fighting, stopped his hammer with his second set of hands. His second set of hands that smouldered. Then he looked closer, for a moment peeling back the veil on the man and seeing the creature's true form.

The creature for it part sensing that you have realised its true nature begins hurling fire at you. Diffusing the fire, which you found to be made of something other than fire kept you on the defensive and the creature began pushing you back. Until Civar worked out the trick to deflecting the attacks and lunged in with his own counter attack. Again one combatant was forced backwards, the burning thing figuring out your attacks until it could block and defend as well. You were both at an impasse and into the silence for a moment the creature, with an entirely inhuman and nasty grin says;

"I don't suppose you might be interested in a job? Perhaps some more power. I know someone who can make things happen for you."

You found Arhuon, although you don't know his true name or nature he is clearly not a being of order. He seems less powerful than you though, so something else is acting as a proxy for it.

Additionally I'm keeping an eye on actions at this point for potential new Traits.

Civar and Arhuon both keel over in pain for a second as reality changes again, although this time some part of Civar rejoices. There is somewhere a bastion of Order, to the east. This knowledge helps alleviate the physical torment of reality altering, although Arhuon seems not to share your sentiment.

Beltheus and Edo (Eisos)

Beltheus

Were you still vested of your mortal sensibilities the man's response might have been unnerving. As it was the fanatic zeal, the burning hatred and thirst for revenge in his eyes was almost a tangible aura. "Oh yes. I'd like to do that bastard in. Maybe I'll even get a reward from the Emperor, I hear he's been trying to get rid of him." He said licking his lips eagerly. Your other converts had at least required some convincing, this man was practically jumping for the chance to gain power and revenge. Beltheus burned his power into the man's soul twisting him into what he wished, an assassin with the strength to leap in and out of the shadows. Davos proved to be quite dedicated to his purpose and quickly bled away to enact part of his revenge.

You were about to stop him when you are wracked by intense pain. Something, somewhere, someone has done something like you, changing the nature of the world. It is utterly foreign and alien to you, and it makes you angry and a rush of boiling and fiery need to destroy it so utterly the mere memory and concept of it is wiped from the world. Yet it is some time before you recover enough to do so and by then Davos has gone to where Edo is. It came from the east, the other side of the world.

Edo Blackwater

Combat in an open street posted:

Davos
Attack +2: 2d6+2 8
Val
Defence +2: 2d6+2 4

As Edo was searching for the culprit, one of the shadows literally burst out of the ground rushing at you. Before you could react properly, the statue of Valamnis had interposed himself between you and the attack. The creature was roughly human, although made out of sinister shadow and something else. In one swift movement it decapitated the statue and then smashed it into pieces with the hilt. Edo could already feel the essence of Val begin to drift away, he'd need to act fast if he was to save him.

The creature looked at you for a moment and then spoke in a whispery shadowy voice that while lacking substance managed to be heard quite clearly. "I do not forget Edo, I do not forgive. What you took from me, I will take from you a hundred fold in return." Then the creature leapt back into the shadows, leaving Edo with a choice. Turn his power to saving Val, or hunting down his murderer and leaving him to his fate. But worst of all he had recognised that voice. It belonged to Davos, the man who had been an alcoholic and a wife-beater.

As a side note, creatures like Val and Davos will have a single rank for attack and defence purposes for now. They can't use it like gods, but they have enough power to actually deal damage do Divine Traits first.

Edo too feels the change in the world, and while it gives both him and the changed Davos pause, it does not pain him like it did Beltheus. Not in a metaphysical manner as such, though there was an unpleasant amount of literal pain as the fabric of reality was once again forcibly altered. This feeling comes to you from the east.

Octagon

Elkud was to his credit, surprisingly tactful when dealing with the alchemist. It seemed he had run slightly clandestine errands before you guessed. There was a wave of dizzying pain and nausea as you arrived in the shadows as reality changed. It came from the south west, someone there had changed reality again and it was not pleasant at all. It was like a chill poison numbing your body until you shook the feeling off.

The alchemist is naturally alarmed by the sickness and queries Elkud about how he knows about this. Elkud manages to come out with a somewhat convincing cover story about a parishioner coming to him from a town stuck down by the plague. The alchemist seems to buy the story, although raises an intrigued eyebrow when Elkud in a fit of fancy mentions the alchemist who made the counter agent is called "The Spider Lord". Neither of them are of course aware that they themselves carry the imminent plague within themselves, although the alchemist wisely advises Elkud to return for a 'free sample' of the cure once he has reproduced it.

Success, you are ready for stage 2 I guess. Let me know if you want to do anything else before the plague breaks out or if you just want to skip to it.

Ilvis

The trip to Eisos will take a few days, but on the first day you are struck down by a feeling of the world being torn and remade again. Although the feeling behind it is closer to your nature than the last, the physical resonance of reality being forcibly changed is for a brief moment mind-numbingly painful.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 18, 2013

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir-Elysian Sands

His people came to him and told him of the iron shortage. Mazir could see the fear in their eyes and notice they had send to the old and decrepit to tell him, concerned that he might strike down someone in his anger.

Hmmm, I might have overestimated our supplies. We'll need the iron for weapons as well. A small force of 100 will form a decent core, but what about the rest?

As he thought, he saw Nomad walk by, continuing his routine and work, when it struck him.

I wonder? he mused as he began to mold a small pile of sand. Calling to others they worked feverishly to mold the sand pile into a rough man shape. After several minutes, the outline had been formed into a shape roughly resembling a man. Ordering his people to catch some wandering souls, they arrived half an hour later. Rubbing his hands together, Mazir began to channel the familiar spell. While the creation wouldn't be as advance as Nomad, if it was like the Ironman, it would serve well, especially given the sands plentiful nature.

Making a sand golem, like how I did with the suit of iron.

+2 Soul Magic Fusing the various souls that wandered around into the sand to give it life.

+4 Magic: Working with a spell I'm now becoming familiar with, I'm attempting to give life to this sand pile to create a sand soldier.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo

As Val is mortally wounded before his eyes, Edo realises in a moment of stark clarity that there is no such thing as justice in this world. While there are clearly others like him, they are creatures of overwhelming evil and corruption. The worst of humanity and gods hold the power, they shape the world as they see fit. Edo can't see the flows of magic that make these creatures possible and he has failed utterly to counter them at every turn. Now they kill his friends in front of him and he's so slow he cannot even react in time to help fight.

It's time to stop pretending the world rewards the righteous, or that humanity can be saved from the darkness . He thinks through centuries of magic knowledge for a spell of suitably cataclysmic blood sacrifice. It's time to fight fire with -

But at that moment, he feels the change from the east. Another has broken the universe to allow a new force in. It doesn't feel as malevolent, but Edo is yet to meet a powerful being that hasn't made the world a worse place for its presence in it. But it's enough to give him an idea.

When he gave life to Val, he felt that he took it from somewhere. Perhaps it is time to open that door for all to pass. Summoning everything he has, Edo combines his instinctive understanding of magic with his powers of miraculous healing to tear open a doorway to life itself.

Divine magic +2 and Divine healing/lifecarving +2 to open a portal to the plane of life (death?) where souls come from and go. Edo will tap it for power just like the demon and mysterious angel plane are tapped.

Edo's not exactly ignoring Davos and Val, but it seems pretty clear that Davos will do a runner and if the life thing works Val can be resurrected anyway, so from Edo's perspective no big deal. If attacked, he'll defend by unmaking Davos with his divine qualities.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar Kit'An (Bad Idea Bar, slums, Eisos)

I ducked under the thing's smoldering arm. The 40 pounds of wrought-iron barstock I'd manacled to the thing's wrist didn't seem to be slowing it down any. I couldn't risk letting something that strong get ahold of more or it would tear me in half. I needed a distraction, badly.

My mother taught me to be careful what I wished for, before she was murdered. She was right about this too I thought muzzily as the universe provided a distraction and crippling pain dragged both of us to our knees. Someone had torn another rift in the world's fabric. I staggered back to my feet moments before the monster did and I gasped my defiance: "Bite me pipsqueek. The monsters under my bed when I was six were scarier than you." I refrained from mentioning that my bed when I was six was a tree limb far enough above the ground that the winter-starved wolves couldn't, quite, leap high enough to pull me down and eat me. I turned and ran for the door, rolling over a table that the red beast charged straight through seconds later.

As I ran out the door I screamed: "Now Aideen!" Her cloak swept over the demon drug dealer's head, buying me the rest of the time I needed. I'd almost been struck by lightning once as a child. It's the sort of memory that stay with you. I reached out to the skies above us and strove to recreate that same tingling buildup I'd sensed back then. I ordered the air molecules in a long chain stretching from the heaven's down to Tinker's Treasure and from the hammer's head to the demon as it ripped the cloak to shreds. As he charged towards me I glanced up; now would be a really good time for this to work...

D action: lightning bolt the demon total +4 - I'm hoping for something like (:nws:) this.

D: Order +2
D: Tinker's Treasure +2 (I assume it's +2 since that was my net bonus in the previous combat)

As for a new quality, I've always been fond of Electrodirection

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Beltheus

Beltheus, in pain and confused, flees back to Hell. Things were bad. He thinks as he sits in a room on the top of the Infinite Tower. Things were very bad. He was being hunted, at least by this Edo, and maybe by more beings with levels of power like his own. And there was a new presence in the world. A wrongness. Something perverse, alien, and strange. And he was weak right now. He was vulnerable, the demons he created, while full of potential, still weak and inexperienced. His mind turns to thoughts of escape. Something, at least, that will strengthen his position. Perhaps another gate to the Mortal Plane. That way, the connection would be less vulnerable. And there was a whole other continent that had not seen his presence.

He begins warping the stuff that connects Hell to the land of mortals, and, by weakening the barrier, hopes to create another doorway.

Demonic Duke +2. Opening a new portal in Val Aman.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 18, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

"Ow!"

Doubling over in my saddle from the pain, I grab the hilt of the Sword safe in its socket to steady myself. I look down at the ground rushing past us at a (albeit respectable) canter and urge the horse to go faster with my heels as I climb back up.

"Did you feel that too? Can you feel that? Whatever the hell it is, clearly we need to get there faster. Come on now drat it, are you a tireless mechanical steed or an old sorrel nag? Go faster, drat it! Faster!"

Leaning into it's back, I feel the familiar heat again and let the fire pass through the Sword, through me, and into the massive thudding hooves of the horse beneath. Not at all light headed despite riding all night I relax and grin as each impact gains force and momentum, synchronising with the beat of my heart.

"Hiya! Avenger away!"

You know if I was really clever I'd have done this last round to save myself the extra travel time, but really it works better here from a narrative/dramatic perspective. Civar's message goes out and then all of a sudden we get ANOTHER crampy no good achy tooth not so fresh hurty tummy feeling? Gosh I hope the two events aren't somehow connected.

Action: Make the journey of many days a matter of a single day/hours by RIDING HARD FOR JUSTICE straight for Civar.

D: Justice +2- There are evil deeds afoot in this land, of that there is clearly no doubt. Our cause is just, and so long as the wretched and evil ply their works we must not, cannot submit to rest or surcease. For Justice! Robot horse aweigh!
D: Sacred Sword+2- As Ilvis leaned lightly against the metallic back of his steed a shine, a spark caught at the edge of the sword atop it's brow. The light, once merely reflective of the bright day, rose to a blinding incandescence as the beast began to pick up speed until such at that observers and passerby could only make out a bright blur as it passed them by, followed by a thunderous clapping of hoofbeats in its wake. It rocked as it drove through the land, smashing through lesser obstacles but leaving people, livestock, and buildings strangely intact in its wake.

??? Swordicorn- Well I'M drat well not going to tire out and flinch on this ride, and as far as I know a metal horse doesn't need to eat, sleep, drink, crap, or stop. So we're drat well going to ride until we get there.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 18, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Val Aman, Val Setin, Crypts

The sickening pain and dizziness gave octagon pause as he sat within the comforting darkness. Was he dying? Was it someone he ate? No, it was something else. Something terribly wrong in the world. For his part, Octagon hoped to avoid whatever it was that was warping reality so. It must be horridly unpleasant in person.

As the night drew on and Elkud managed to successfully charm his way into the alchemist's good graces, Octagon was quite pleased with his success. And he would be to tell him so! The Spider Lord was busy doing spider-things in the Crypts by the time Elkud made it back, experimenting with silk and spiders alike while he spoke with his favorite (only) human lackey. He was much faster than any mortal man, after all.

"You have performed admirably, Elkud. You have one more task to complete. I shall supply you with the counter-agent to this sickness. One night's bed-rest shall be required to purge the illness from the stricken, for this is powerful, potent stuff and will not be pleasant. The cure is usually worse than the disease, after all. Thus, it is important that you not take it until you are done tending to the city, as it will leave you weakened for the day. Except in an emergency, of course. I trust you can accomplish this. Succeed, and I shall grant you a favor in kind. A reasonable one, of course."

I am using Toxin [+2] to produce the Trigger Agent in quantity, aided by Spider-Lord [+2] as the toxin will be remaking people in my image; that of spider-people, of course. The transformation should take place during the night as they sleep, as it was done to me! And having Elkud distribute it to the Alchemist(s) with instructions. Once this is successful, on to Stage 2!

Edit: Edited to include a reaction to reality rip, which I forgot about. WHOOPS. Also hey, look, a halfway decent spider picture:

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 21, 2013

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos

quote:

***Kovar has returned to Sellos after over a month of traveling around mount Wurde. He returns, his new lion companion in tow, seeking out Algard. It has been a while since they last spoke, and Kovar has a gift for the ex-guard.

Algard: "That's quite the monster you have with you boss." Algard says very, very warily eyeing your lion.

Algard: For his part Algard is actually a bit leaner than when you first met him, it seems that he has been making a genuine effort with the training regime.

Kovar: "He is indeed." Kovar sees a nice sunny rock and directs the enhanced lion to rest itself upon it. The cat leaps up and proceeds to sun itself. "You're looking pretty good. How have you been doing?"

Algard: "I have been trying not to die under Barbara's orders. I don't get to eat enough, there's less ale and I have to get up before the sun rises. It's not right I tell you." He says, although his complaints are somewhat in jest.

Kovar: "The price you pay for such a trim figure." Kovar returns the jest. "Anyhow, I'm glad to see you adjusting so well, especially with all the strange happenings." Kovar does not need to provide a list, because his current form, not to mention the huge lion sunning itself a few meters away are the most definite examples.

Algard: "Things seem to becoming larger than life when you are around." He admits.

Kovar: "All too true, though perhaps with the goal I'm seeking it's for the best."

Algard: "Maybe. But Jusep and Barbara do eat more food than they did before. How are you going to feed everyone if you make more people like them?"

Kovar: "That is an excellent question. I've been experimenting with using my power on crops. If I can make giant men and lions, I should be able to make giant vegetables and livestock as well."

Algard: "Oh, how did that work out?" Algard asks with the curiosity of a man who loves his food.

Kovar: Kovar pulls the small piece of the fireberry plant from his pocket. "Results were mixed, apparently I've also gained power over fire, and at the time I didn't have the best control of it. So I made one hell of a plant, but the fruit contained liquid fire, which is... less than edible."

Algard: "Um. Maybe it will make good ale?" Algard offers helpfully.

Kovar: "Well if I can make it work it'll make a hell of a weapon. Imagine being able to sling fire across a battlefield, or simply leave the berries on the ground like caltrops. Not so great for the logistics problem though."

Algard: "Using fire on people doesn't really sit well with me boss, seems kind of...wrong." Algard says with a shudder. "You stab a man fair and square, that's one thing. Setting them on fire is...it ain't right."

Kovar: "Perhaps. Either way, I'd like to keep our options open, in case there comes a day when it's not men we're fighting."

Algard: "I don't think the Dwarves would really do that sir, most of them are still pretty close to the people here."

Kovar: "I'm not talking about the dwarves. The people are Sellos are still close, and Adam and I are almost like brothers. I'm more worried that there are others like Adam and I who might be less benign. I know there are at least two others, and all it takes is for one of them to be a madman, and then who knows what we'd be facing."

Algard: "Oh. That does sound like a problem I guess. But, I'm not sure I'd be okay with using fire on them as well you know? Well, anyone following them. They just might not know better or have a choice."

Kovar: "True, but would you have a problem with using it on monsters?"

Algard: "Um...I guess not. But giant lions aside, monsters don't really exist." Algard said with a remarkable amount of conviction and practicality in the face of everything that had happened so far.

Kovar: "Well, I hope your right. Anyhow, the berries make just as good flints as ammunition, and I hope now that I've got this whole fire-thing under control I can get some real super-crops going."

Kovar: At the same moment, the giant lion decided to roll over and gives a toothy yawn.

Algard: "Did something happen with that fire thing you're mentioning? You seem kind of uneasy about it."

Kovar: "Well, you know I went out to get the towns at the base of the mountain to join to form a new kingdom right?"

Algard: "Aye, I mean yeah." He says with a grimace. "Thadroin came and talked to Jusep about it and I listened in."

Kovar: "Well, there are two. In each I tried to change one of them like I changed Burd, as proof I was truthful about my powers and to act as my surrogate after I'd left. One time it went fine, the other... not so much. Let's just say, I suddenly had power over fire, and instead of just being huge, the guy also had burning eyes and furnace where his stomach should be."

Algard: Algards eyes go very wide and he goes very pale.

Algard: "Gods above and below. Was there much of him left after he stopped burning?"

Kovar: "He didn't burn. He's still alive, the fire doesn't hurt him."

Algard: Two blinks. "That's....I think it's early in the day and I need a stout ale boss." He says with a sigh, "This is all a bit much for me.

Kovar: "I'm not really sure what to think of all this either. The whole world has changed, and Adam and I are at the center. It can be a lot to take in."

Algard: "So did you need anything else from me boss? It seems like you'd want to talk to Barbara and Jusep more than me." He says with a bit of a self-deprecating grin.

Kovar: "Well I'd been so caught up with find Jusep his partner that we haven't talked in awhile, so I wanted to see how you were faring." He seems as though he's trying to remember something for a second, "Ah right, I almost forgot." He pulls a set of armor out of his pack. He'd already managed to snag some appropriately sized cloths from a tailor in one of the towns at the base of the mountain. He hands to the magical armor to Algard.

Algard: "Who am I giving this to?" Algard says looking at the armour appraisingly. "Jusep or-" He pauses as the armour visibly shrinks and resizes in front of his eyes.

Kovar: "It's for you. You might have noticed that it's magical."

Algard: "For me? Cripes you can't just give something this good to me boss. You need to give it to someone important." He says shaking his head in surprise and a little denial.

Kovar: "I am."

Algard: "Look at it. This is armour fit for a king. I'm not even a particularly good guard." Algard says stubbornly.

Kovar: "Well, as a soon to be king, I'm giving it to you. You've been with me since the start, when for all the world I looked like just another beggar. Now put it on."

Algard: Algard looks like he is going to object and then sighs. "Whatever you say boss, I'm going to need some help putting it on though. I saw a noble come by once, these armours are a two person job."

Kovar: "Good thing I'm here then."

Algard: It takes a couple of minutes to put the armour onto Algard, who seems to be somewhat conflicted about it during the process.

Algard: While it is an amazing gift, it is fairly clear that the man does not feel comfortable taking it.

Kovar: As he finishes with the last strap, Kovar speaks to Algard once more, "I know you may not feel right about taking it, but the magic is only good for someone who hasn't been changed. Not to mention, you sure as hell are important enough to merit it. So stop being so self-conscious."

Algard: "What's this magic you're talking about?" Algard asks warily, apparently still remembering the burning man.

Kovar: "It's the same one on Jusep and Burd, only slower."

Algard: "Oh. I see. I always expected these things to be heavier you know? Or maybe I'm stronger than I thought." Algard says and looks at the helmet.

Algard: "Do I need to wear this all the time?"

Kovar: "Well the more you wear it the more the magic works. It's up to you, but I'd wear it as much as you were able at first, to give it time to set it."

Algard: "Okay. Well I guess we'll see how much I smell after a while?" Algard says with a nervous laugh.

Kovar: "Well it is magic, and I didn't notice any smell after spending weeks on the road, so maybe it takes care of that?"

Algard: "That sounds mighty handy."

Kovar: "It does indeed. Anyhow, I'm not really sure how quickly the magic will take effect."

Kovar: "Anyhow, I need to go check in with Adam. Let me know if anything changes."

Algard: "With me or around here?" Algard asks with some confusion.

Kovar: "With you. Like I said, I have no idea how long it will take for the magic in the armor to play out."

Algard: "Sure thing boss." He says awkwardly and puts the helmet on. As you walk away he raps it on the head, testing it a little.

His gift given, Kovar heads towards Under-Sellos to seek out Adam.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Adam and Kovar - Sellos

quote:

Kovar: Having returned from the mountains with his new war-lion in tow, Kovar heads down into Under-Sellos to seek out Adam and confer on their next move.

Adam: Adam, naturally, sits in the Fel forge by himself, hands over head, quietly moaning to no one in particular. He stares at his anvil in what can only be described as Resignation.

***Kovar walks in, with the transformed mountain lion at his heels, and sees Adam slumped over once more. "It seems as though every time I return I find you here, mulling over some problem."

Adam: "Ah." He said, half smiling. There was no denying it. He made a mental note to at least pretend to be enjoying himself when Kovar came to visit. "And it seems whenever you turn up here, you have something new to show me. So.. please.. explain to me what on earth that is?" He points to the lion, but gingerly, as if he feared it would eat his fingers

***Kovar smiles, "Yes, this is a new friend of mine. I still haven't given him a name, but I went looking for one of the mountain lion's you had told me of to test my powers." The lion rubs itself against Kovar's leg and purrs. "He's friendly to me at least, but you might want to avoid pestering him."

Adam: "don't worry, pestering anything with more teeth than sense is the last thing on my agenda right now. Besides," he said, sighing, "I have my own problems to deal with. They built me a temple Kovar."

Kovar: There is a moments pause as Kovar processes this information, "I can't say I expected that. I assume you're upset, but have there been any other effects. After all, we know that there is a two way connection between us and those who follow us."

Adam: "That is a good point. I suppose owning a temple to your name and setting a man's eyes on fire are about the same class.." he did his best not to giggle, recalling the incident just earlier that month.

Kovar: "Ah yes, I think I've gotten that under control. Made an interesting new type of plant in the process, but please have you noticed any change?"

Adam: "Well... actually.." he frowned, moving towards the anvil and leaning on it. "Yes.. Yes there has been a change. Actually it's what I wanted to talk about. So.. I come back and there's a temple right? and I'm all sob-eyed and panicking like my usual self, but... well.. My heart isn't really in it."

Kovar: "Oh?"

Adam: He closed his hands into a fist, eyes lowered. "Well... no. You know me well enough to know that I'm not one for drawing attention to myself. For making big overblown things and generally being a giant magnet to trouble. And I've always sort of gone into this whole dwarf business on tip-toes. But... well.. the moment I saw that temple, the moment I saw my name written on it, I swear it wasn't on purpose... but it felt... good. Like real good. Like it was meant to be. Not like an ale or a good lay or finding a lot of easy money or anything. Just.. drat good. My chest heaved, my head grew. I felt the spark in me, the one I draw on when I'm trying to take charge and help out and craft and build. I felt it strengthen, l felt it build. By stone, it got even worse when some of the smiths started turning. It's like I can feel it suffocating me somewhere, like it's starting to become more of me than... well me. Scary part is... I liked it."

Kovar: "Hmmm..." Kovar is lost in thought for nearly a minute, Adam can hear him mumbling under his breath, "Response to worship, physical effect on 'followers', supernatural powers, and indefinite lifespans." Then, you can see inspiration strike, and he turn to face Adam, shock written all across his face.

Adam: Adam clicked his fingers, his eyes widened "I have indigestion!"

Kovar: The mood shattered, Kovar attempts to lead Adam to the answer, "When you think of beings that receive worship and do miracles, what's your first thought?"

Adam: "What.. you mean Gods?"

Kovar: "And here you are feeling a physical response to worship and possessing miraculous powers. Perhaps the temple isn't so far-fetched after all."

Adam: "Well... uh... I.. guess.. " He scowled, frowning. "Thadroin said somewhat the same thing too, but I don't think he mentioned miracles. Something about being able to do whatever we wanted. Like some kind of spark, like I said... Kovar, if you are saying that whatever is happening to us.. is turning us into actual gods, then we need to get Thadroin's memories back."

Kovar: "I'm not really sure how we'd proceed in that direction, and let's not forget that for the moment this is nothing more than a guess on my part."

Adam: "couldn't you.. you know.. do that thing you do to make me relax... but to him?"

Kovar: "I suppose, but I'm not sure he'd be interested. Especially since something like this seems like it would take a significant number of sessions, and I get the feeling he would be very unhappy with the potential side-effect."

Adam: "Hmm.. alright... but.. Kovar, even with all that aside, what does it mean if we're becoming... you know... Gods.. I mean, I don't know a single thing about being worshipped, or how people work..."

Kovar: "I really have no idea, to be honest. There isn't exactly any precedent for this that I know of."

Adam: "So.. what should we do? Come on Kovar, you always have a plan or sorts.."

Kovar: "I think for the moment we should continue as we did before. Things seem to be proceeding on their own, and for the moment the change doesn't seem dangerous. If the situation changes we can reevaluate."

Adam: "Alright.. fine. Then... I guess I'll just keep working on Under-Sellos, and hope I don't just randomly spout wings. Kovar, should we... should we tell the others?"

Kovar: "I think that would be... premature. After all, this is just an educated guess and nothing more. No, until we have more proof I think announcing ourselves as gods might give people the wrong idea."

Adam: "fine. But if they build you a temple and start sacrificing virgins to you don't come running to me!"

Kovar: "Well, if they start doing something you don't like then feel free to tell them to stop. If they truly think you're a god then they'll probably listen."

Adam: "...probably."

Kovar: "Anyhow, we can cross that bridge when we come to it. The other reason I was here, was to tell you that I think you're ready for the next stage of your training."

Adam: "Wait... what? We're moving off from Axes?"

Kovar: "Indeed. We'll get back to them eventually, but until you've mastered more types of weapons you won't really be able to get more from axes."

Adam: He looked at his anvil and sighed. "Hmm.. well... just as well. I haven't made an axe for Stone knows how long. Maybe it's time I moved on. I think I've outgrown them."

Kovar: "I think it would be best if we moved to a related weapon, something else heavy and two handed. I was thinking something like this," Kovar gently lofts a large hammer he had picked up in one of the the towns at the base of the mountain across to Adam.

Adam: A wide and rather impressive grin spread across Adam's face. "Oh... Oh... OH YES! He moved forward, taking the hammer into his hands. "This.. this is going to be fun..."

Kovar: "Indeed. Do you want to start right now?"

Adam: "Today? Sure! we have time till sunset, and I have to see to the others that they are settled in with bedding and sleeping parts before I nod off."

Kovar: "Excellent. With each new stage of the training, I'll take you deeper so that you'll be able to complete each step faster and faster."

Adam: "and I can design some new warhammers to make in the forge!" His eyes were lit, like a child receiving presents

Kovar: "Once you get a grasp on them from the training, I have little doubt you'll be able to make some amazing weapons."

Adam: "you darn right I will! I can not wait! Alright. Come on, before my accent starts changing again!"

Kovar: Kovar's voice takes on an even and soothing cadence, "Start by going to the safe relaxing place we use for training... Then I'll help teach you to be even more relaxed and open for this new stage."

The ‘safe place’ in Adam’s mind had changed over the course of his training, slowly turning from a forge that he worked from, into what seemed to be what passed as Under-Sellos itself, with it’s people passing by him in a blur, each taking a time to nod to him. He envisioned himself sat by the Fel forge on a bench, a drink in one hand, leaning on the wall, and watching his people walk by. It was a new kind of calm for him, one that he was still getting used to, but the difference was, for once, it was a place he could go that didn’t have him working.

Seeing Adam relax, Kovar continues, “Now, imagine you’re at the top of a stair case. With each step down you’ll feel 10 times as relaxed, 10 times as safe, and 10 times as open. When you feel ready go down the stairs.”

In his head, he turn to his right, and a stone staircase leading deep down into the mountain stood before him. Adam took the steps gingerly, taking time to note how precise the cuttings into the earth were with each step. Someone had really outdone themselves on this one.

Kovar picks up the war hammer and places it in Adam’s hands, then takes a step back. “Just as we did for Axes, the first step is to familiarize yourself with the weight of the weapon. Let it sit in your hands, grip it and move it until it begins to feel natural. Then let me know when you’re ready.” This portion could take a while. It had taken over an hour for Adam to acquaint himself with his first ax, and Kovar was reliably informed it took him nearly a day when he had started with his first sword. Though, he couldn’t be sure as for the student the perception of time was warped. For Adam it might seem like just a moment had passed.

The hammer felt good in Adam’s hands. mostly because of the feel of metal at the top of it. He pondered if he could etch another one out of stone from the lava pit next to where Fel passed away, and, in his mind’s eye, began to design one as he felt it’s weight. He managed to mumble a small phrase to Kovar, indicating that he was ready.

Kovar smiles, “Good, now I’m going to move you through the basic Katas. Clear your mind and focus on remember how your body moves.” Kovar walks behind Adam, while the lion stays on the perch it had found, looking on imperiously. Moving Adam like a puppet, Kovar slowly guided him through the basic hammer movements. The swings and blocks from which all further use of the hammer would build upon. He did this several times, until Adam began to repeat the motions on his own.

“Now, just as with the ax, your body knows the basic motions, but you need to speed them up. Start slowly and repeat them faster and faster till you’ve reached the right speed. You’ll know when you’ve found it.” This next part was important, the ability to intuitively grasp things like proper speed was heightened in the trance, but there still needed to be some natural talent there. Kovar was certain Adam had it, otherwise he never would have chosen him. It was with a mix of pride and apprehension that Kovar waited and watched his student.

Although Kovar kept talking, Adam’s mind was on other things. In his head, he wielded the hammer as instructed, but as he did, it slowly changed with him. each swing changed it’s design, its weight, its strength, its balance. One moment, it was a large, hefty warhammer that he needed both hands to wield, the other it had split into two, now held in separate hands. His style and signature mark glowed in an odd mystic rune on each one as he did so.

Satisfied that Adam had mastered the basics of the warhammer, Kovar speaks once more in a soothing tone, “Good, that finishes today’s session. Now I want you to remember this new more relaxed state, so that when you go to your training place that place will now be here.”

“Now, slowly but surely begin to resurface. Happily and safely going up until you’re all the way back and feeling refreshed... now.”

Slowly, the kata image began to fade, closing as he slowly brought himself back to the real world. Adam felt himself drenched, having worked up a sweat in the forge while practicing. Still groggy, he looked up at Kovar. “Well... that was new.”

Teaching Adam the basics of wielding a warhammer.

Kovar:
Weaponsmaster[+2] - Using the same method he was trained with, Kovar passes down this knowledge to Adam

Experienced General[+4] - Each teacher’s method is slightly different, affected by how they have lived and how they have fought, each adding their own little changes and evolutions. Kovar’s experiences are guided by his many years as a soldier and a general, and it shows in his teaching.

Adam:
Dwarf (divine) +2: WARHAMMERS! HELL YEAH! NEW WEAPON TYPE GET!

Henched +4: Sometimes, having the muscles of a miner can get you far in life

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Farro Kapersi - Taelos, Amast Bevy
Update 4

Having fallen to all fours during the emotional onslaught, Farro pauses to regain his composure. He’d felt things like it before: passion for a woman or the occasional desire to protect those he worked with. Now though, those feelings seemed... incomplete. Derivative.

Part of him smirked at the ridiculousness of the whole thing. A “noble sacrifice” and a “hero finds true love.” Like this was some sort of children’s fairy tale. Next it would be magic swords and destinies and big fiery monsters. But it was only a small part, and quickly faded into the depths of his mind. Something big had happened.

Whatever Elice has done had opened a door, alright. And not just a metaphorical one, judging by the archway and the world behind it. And what a strange world it was! Eye-searing light that felt soft and inviting. Peace and contentment backed by a severe, totalitarian sensibility. It emitted a sense of austerity, but nothing Farro had ever seen could have come close to matching the splendor. In short, it was a good visualization of why the idea of Order was still foreign to the world: it felt right, but it was still completely alien; it didn’t fit right in the world. Its appearance had certainly evoked a strange feeling, like reality had been run through and forcefully rearranged from the inside. Farro couldn’t help but wonder whether anyone else had felt it.

He stood back up slowly, not entirely sure he had regained his sense of balance. Sheathing his knives, he noticed that the world had stopped around him, or at least slowed dramatically. The 12 remaining others were still turned around, reacting to Elice’s sudden bout of self perforation. The only other movement was from the other side of the arch, where Anmiel and apparently, some representation of Elice were waiting. He took a minutes to wipe the tears from his eyes (he had no idea if he was still crying, or his eyes were still watering from the blinding illumination. It didn’t really matter, he supposed), and stepped through the arch into a world beyond.

(1:02:11 AM) ***Farro blinks a few more times as his eyes adjust to the light. He is visibly quite upset.

(1:02:49 AM) Nenji: Anmiel holds up his hand, ever standing behind the gate and smiling softly.

(1:02:54 AM) Nenji: "Peace be with you Farro."

(1:03:33 AM) ***Farro reaches down to adjust his... robes? His normal leathers and cloak seem to have been replaced with a shining white drape of cloth.

(1:04:17 AM) Farro: "Well that answers that, I suppose. We are obviously no longer in the real world because what the hell am I wearing?"

(1:04:23 AM) ***Farro shakes his head.

(1:04:54 AM) Farro: “We need to talk, Sparkly. First things first, you said no blood! What's with that then?”

(1:05:11 AM) Farro: “I sure didn't ask her to kill herself. Or... whatever she did.”

(1:06:45 AM) Nenji: "We believe that the human phrase is that 'the world is what one makes of it'. Until you adjust fully into your station it might be simpler to say that Elice did not actually die."

(1:07:04 AM) Nenji: Elice nods at that comment but says nothing else.

(1:08:08 AM) ***Farro idly picks at his new attire. It seems his normal accoutrement of equipment is gone, and replaced by what appears to be a simple longsword in a silvery sheath run through the belt.

(1:08:32 AM) Farro: “So Elice was one of your guys, or?”

(1:11:49 AM) Nenji: "Nay. Even in this place we are not truly in these lands. Elice gave up her motherhood, the time that she would spend with her child and her love for her daughter to open the gate. We used you as a conduit to guide her as she struggled with the choice, but the choice was her own. The strongest love is that of a mother for their child, and no sacrifice can

(1:11:49 AM) Nenji: ever be greater."

(1:15:26 AM) Farro: "Given I'm still recovering from whatever the whole thing did to me, I am inclined to believe you. Speaking of 'this place', where exactly, and what exactly is it?"

(1:17:15 AM) Nenji: "It is a Gate. In time your power will be such that your will shall be the Gate, but until you realise your power you are bound by the Gate. It connects the world of the living to your Demesne. Only one of Divinity or one who is marked and serves Divinity may walk in such a place."

(1:20:47 AM) Farro: "Bound by it? So what, I can't be very far from it? Can people unmarked by this "Divinity" see it?"

(1:21:17 AM) Farro: "Did you just imply I'm some sort of deity? This is getting to be a bit much, even considering the circumstances."

(1:22:36 AM) Nenji: "Your word is power enough to change people Farro, a power that once entered into is inescapable by mortal means. If not the power of a God, then what is it?"

(1:25:13 AM) ***Farro grunts noncommittally. "And the other questions?"

(1:35:07 AM) Nenji: "Mortals can see the Gate if you wish it to be so. The Gate is the intersection between your Demesne and the mortal world. As you are now, it is the only way you and your servants can cross between them. Do not dally betwixt, such a place is dangerous even for one such as yourself as you are now Farro."

(1:44:02 AM) Farro: "Mmm. I think I've got enough on the plate on the moment to bother with wherever else you're insinuating. So if this is my Demesne, can I move the gate? Nice that it's out of the way and all, but sounds like it would be inconvenient when I end up moving elsewhere."

(1:46:11 AM) Nenji: "You can, as well as create extensions of it. The Gate is a single entrance, but many exits. The Enemy works in a similar manner, we have sensed the foul presence in this plane for a time now. It was their influence that moved our master to bid us to find the most suitable Divinity on this world."

(1:47:53 AM) Farro: "MOST suitable? So there's more than just me running around with these powers? And this Enemy you keep mentioning is one of them?"

(1:49:41 AM) Nenji: "Surely you felt the world change when they remade one of your number into the image of themselves. They breached the plane and created a terminus, a vortex into which wicked souls would be attracted to. Even now they act to spread their sin and corruption to draw more power to themselves. Nay Farro, thou art not alone in this matter."

(1:56:05 AM) Farro: "Well, I suppose I did feel a little... uneasy a month or so ago. Just wrote it off as bad meat."

(2:00:11 AM) Farro: "So I've got this power, fine. I'll lead your little crusade for Order, as misguided as everyone seems to know it is. But how am I supposed to be some kind of... some kind of God? You of all people/things/whatever you are should no I'm not some praiseworthy hero what you put on a pillow. Is force alone enough to instill your Order? Just because I have a big metaphysical dick I'm somehow King Dude of poo poo Mountain and people are supposed to follow me?"

(2:00:31 AM) ***Farro is visibly distressed at the idea of being some kind of moral pillar.

(2:07:32 AM) Nenji: "Free will. It is the blessing and curse given to men. We do not have it, but you do Farro. You can chose where your journey takes you. There is great Darkness in your past, but is our belief that you can reach the Light and guide others to it."

(2:07:46 AM) Nenji: "Walk with peace Farro. Even should thou need to make it."

(2:10:17 AM) ***Farro gives Anmiel a smoldering frown. "Easier said than done, Sparkly. Fine. I've got a promise to keep. You just keep on doing the whatever the gently caress it is you're doing. Can I reach you here if need be? You know, if I really want to get worked up about something and I'm being particularly self loathing."

(2:12:22 AM) Nenji: "We will be watching Farro, but some lessons must be learned alone. As a parting gift, you may shape your Demesne as you wish. It will grow as you bring Order and Righteousness to the people of this world and they pass from the land of the living."

(2:12:41 AM) Nenji: He smiles radiantly in the most serene and infuriating manner possible and then fades.

(2:12:53 AM) Farro: "What a dick."

(2:13:41 AM) ***Farro turns and walks back out of the arch.

The first thing he notices is that while his normal attire has returned, he seems to have retained the sword. He decided to inspect it closer, and drew it out of the slivered scabbard. As far as he could tell, it was more or less a normal sword. Good quality iron, no pointless ornamentation, well balanced. A good length, too- short enough to concealable under his cloak but still long enough to offer a standoff advantage against daggers and the typical shortsword. It fit nicely into the job it was designed to do, and did nothing else. That was a kind of Order, he supposed. The scabbard itself was apparently leather, wrapped in some sort of soft silver cloth. Silk, maybe, but he wasn’t sure. The throat and chape appeared to be of actual silver metal. All in all it was an impressive enough weapon, but nothing magical or divine or anything of the sort as far as he could tell.

The next thing he noticed was whatever weird time alteration whutsit had been going on before was no longer going on, and the others in the copse were looking at him in stunned silence. Or rather, behind him, at the arch. He took advantage of the admittedly confusing situation by calling out to them.

“Alright. That wasn’t exactly the plan I had in mind. Especially the violent bits. Nothing to do about it, though. If there’s any more questions about my mental well being, can we agree it’s a shared insanity?” There were a few dazzled nods of agreement.

“Here’s the plan then. We need a group if we’re to get anything done. The 13 of us will do for now, but we’re going to need more. First things first: make no mistakes about what you’re signing up for. It’s not as... extreme as what Elice did, but once we’re in this, we’re in it for good. None of us can ever back down from the vows we now take. I’m gonna try to give us a little edge, but I’m not omnipotent, I’ve got limits just like every other person living in this place. Last chance if you want to leave. Options 2 and 3 are still open.” There were no takers.

“Right.” Farro draws a symbol into the dirt at his feet; a chevron and a line falling down from the inner point. “You all know what this is; it’s an arrow. They’re all over the damned place. Useful symbol. But to us, this means something different. This arrow is Order. Like Order, the arrow guides you on the proper path. The ONLY path. That’s why there’s only one point, and it’s straight as- well, an arrow. This is your Key. This is how you will identify others in our secret club. You’ll be able to draw an arrow same as ever, but you’ll also be able to draw a Key. And you’ll be able to recognize any Key as belonging to a particular member of the Order. If you’re not in the club, you can’t do the handshake so this will always be a secure way of identification. Draw your arrows in line with this one, and stand on ‘em. Doesn’t matter what you draw it with, a knife, stick, your finger, just do it.”

He waited until his orders were followed. They all looked stupid as hell standing in line like children, but it felt right so gently caress it. “As I speak the oath, you repeat it after me. And while you say those words, you think about why you’re about to devote your life to this cause. What is so important to you, what do you love so much, that until your dying breath you will do everything in your power and more to bring Order into this world, so that you can give it a better world to exist in.”

When Farro next spoke his voice had changed. While it was no louder in terms of volume, it had a deafening, forceful pressure to it; it was a voice of absolute finality, of crystallized intent, a sepulchral mode suggesting the death of the present and the heralding of the future. “This is the Contract. We who stand before the Arch pledge in the service of Order our lives, possessions, and abilities. From henceforth, all actions We take will be in the name of Order. We are the hand holding the knife in the dark, We are the voice in the listless crowd, We are the plow that tills the soils of the world, We are the leaders of men, the destroyers of men, the creators of men. We are the holders of the Keys. We are Arrows.”

Using Divine: Contracts +2 to found the Procession of Arrows. Once sworn into the Procession, a person is bound for life in the service of Order. Each Arrow is able to draw a special symbol, called a Key. To anyone not of the Procession, it is no different than any other arrow. To those within the group, the Key is different on an instinctual level; by touching a Key they may identify who’s Key it is, and will hear in their head a message from the Keyholder if said message is mentally planted at the time of creation. Only the Keyholder can create or erase their Key, with the exception that when a Keyholder dies, their Keys disappear with them. TL;DR it's an uncrackable secret handshake/encrypted message system.

Using Divine: Love +2 to assist in the founding of the Procession by drawing upon the power of the assembled people’s intent to protect and preserve that which they Love.

Mortal Drawback: Self-Loathing -2 arguably applies here because while Farro isn't really putting himself above the others directly, he is sort of implying that anyone outside of his club is Doing It Wrong.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 23, 2013

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Mazir (Elysian Sand, Elysia)

Mazir found that he could create the golem without too much effort, but the problem was keeping the sand together. Leaving some part of himself in the first one to keep the enchantment persistent was more draining than he had anticipated. But, the spell could also be taught. As such Mazir could teach those with sufficient power and talent to create similar golems, and they could control them until a certain distance away. The golems were naturally vulnerable to water, but sand was an easily accessible material in the desert. Nomad could control two golems at once, although neither he nor Mazir could determine whether this was due simply to his greater skill and power, or if it had to do with his having been two people once before. On the matter of his own body and hydrophobia, Nomad simply said; "I am bound to sand, but not merely this sand. It will take more than water to extinguish me."

Success, but right now animating more than one permanent construct is difficult for you. Given time you could do what you wanted, but this is a more practical solution and will do more what you want quicker; it's less powerful but on the other hand the golems are potentially renewable and they are not obviously sand, so people would need to figure out the flaw first.

Edo Blackwater (Eosia, Eisos)

In his grief and anger Edo tried to plunge towards the centre of life, a plane of unending creation and life. There two spells that came to mind, a spell of traversing to a place...well somewhere other, or at least outside. The understanding was strange and bound up in the spell for Edo, but it felt right to use. The other spell was a spell of creation, one that could take energy and create something new, a small shard of reality to me shaped by the caster. In mortal hands it would probably burn away the life of the caster and more to fuel it, but for Edo he had enough energy to spare. Mortals dealt with words and gestures, but Edo just turned his will to it and constructed the spells in his mind. Recklessly he brought forth energy, such great energy that the paved stones around him began to buckle as the very earth itself trembled as the spell reached its conclusion. And then-

Creation. In a single instant the void shone with a Light so bright it would echo until the edges of the universe even when the universe gave its dying breath. At the centre of eternity lay a single Will, which spoke a single Word. Thus the world came to be. Life grew, small and simple at first until men were created and began to walk the world in the infancy of civilisation. The world lay open and Others looked upon it with greed and intent. The Will took forth some of the Light and wrapped it around the world. As it did so the light changed and became solid, real and tangible having a discernible beginning and end. The Light was charged with the energy of Creation and the Others turned away, knowing that the world was barred from them forever. Under this protection mankind grew, men began to build homes, then towns, cities until the empire of Eosia was formed. Time span until in a small village a child was born, a fisherman who upon a certain day travelled to a large city and came to be in the place where he cast himself into a spell greater than he was, despite him being much, much more than other men. Time stood still in that single instant as Edo saw into himself and the Will spoke two words.

Not Yet.

Edo shuddered, suddenly feeling weak and insignificant. He had failed, and yet...in his hands he held something warm and alive. But it wasn't a living creature, it was magic. Magic that had will, intent and purpose. It sang in his hands with a joy of being alive and aware.

You rolled a 12, unfortunately creating a plane is currently beyond you. Beltheus and Farro cheated. But you have something for your effort, literally magic that is alive and aware.

Everyone Else

The world seemed to tremble for a moment, before quieting down again.

Civar Kit'An (Eosia, Eisos Slums)

The air tried to obey, but it could not do so without other changes. There was a certain level of humidity, temperatures and pressure before it could comply to Civar's demand. So in that moment he methodically proceeded through each step until-

There was a tremendous crack of thunder and the air reverberated as the sky literally darkened with cloud in a second, swelling with stolen water until a bolt of electricity cascaded down the path the God demanded. The creature jumped back in time to avoid another bolt of lightning. As rain began to pour the energy in the air chased after the creature as Civar chased as well until he found himself in a crowd of wet people. There were many figures moving around which made it hard to track down the figure. Civar turned to Aideen who pointed to a house, a book store by the looks of it. A shadowy voice seemed to whisper to you; "I can hear your anger, your need to control and conquer. We are not so different as you think Godling. Arhuon is watching you."

Aideen blinked for a moment and then said; "He's gone. I felt him from that house and then he was gone. I am not sure how though."

Success, you have gained the Divine trait Weather [+2] and found Vanthos' bookstore.

Beltheus (The Demesne of Beltheus)

There were two places towards the west you could open a gate most easily, so picking the one where you could feel the most sin and vice, Beltheus stands straight and concentrates as he moves his hands into the air in his realm. His fingers slipped into the space between worlds and he pulled apart. The action was difficult, and the Duke strained as he exerted all of his might to pulling apart space between the two points. It seemed to open up into a church, and there was a fat man in the rich robes and garments of a priest staring in horror as a trio of what seemed to be giant spiders with the upper torsos of something mostly like a human advanced on him. The creatures paused for a moment as a flaming archway opened behind the priest, who turned and stared in blank incomprehension as Beltheus looked through the gap at him.

Success, also this is not the same church as Octagon. Also feel free to name your realm, it doesn't have to be hell or anything like that.

Octagon (Val Aman, Val Setin)

As time passed the people of Val Aman began to fall sick, it happened within the span of around three days and by the time the plague had become known the medicine that Octagon had surreptitiously provided was into circulation. And for a number of days people recovered and the worst was thought to have passed.

But the people were very, very wrong indeed.

On the first morning many people went missing and there was an air of unease. By the time night fell it was known that houses where people had lived who were missing had great spider webs in them. It seemed to be located mostly in the middle class areas of the city and the poor, frightened by what had happened gathered together for safety and comfort. The second night was the worst, as the plague was revealed to be a curse, turning men and women into foul creatures that fed on the flesh of men. By the time the third night came by the city was in chaos. Most of the rich drank fruit juices and wines and so were not affected, but the rest of the city had turned on them as the men and women regained their minds and adjusted to their situation.

Octagon moved around the city noting that in a few situations there was the occasional odd pet who had been transformed as well, although most had died and also been eaten. On a whim he travelled to Elkud's house where he found a cocoon of silk there. Yet the priest had not left his cocoon yet and seemed to waiting for something, Octagon could sense his mind and form swimming in a viscous fluid inside of it.

Success, you have destroyed Val Setin and given birth to your race essentially. Do you want to name them? Also you gain the Divine trait Transformation [+2] and have the chance to exercise it on Elkud if you wish.

Adam and Kovar (Taelos, Under-Sellos)

Adam and Kovar are training when Kovar notices something click in Adam. At first he's not really exactly sure what but without really realising what his is doing, Adam walks over to the rack of training weapons that Kovar had brought with him and examines each in turn. Then he picks up a spear and holds it as if he had held a weapon like that all his life. "Do ye fancy a dance?" He asks Kovar with a grin on his face, lapsing back into the Dwarven brogue as he didn't pay attention to his words. Curious as to the behaviour of his friend, Kovar agreed and was surprised when Adam leapt at him.

It would have been more accurate to say that Adam danced with the spear, and Kovar needed to pull on all of his training and experience to keep on the defensive. The skill that Adam suddenly had seemed to surpass competency or grace, Adam was more metaphysically connected with the weapon and the two seemed to be a single entity in his hand. At the end Adam had the point at Kovar and he had to concede the match, unable to keep up any longer. Kovar was drenched in sweat while Adam seemed as though he had only been jogging lightly.

Then it hit Adam. He had never used a spear before. Kovar hadn't taught him a single thing about them, and he had just not only beaten him but made Kovar look like an amateur. As he looked at the rack of weapons he knew how to hold and use them almost as though it were instinct, the sword, the bow, the javelin and more exotic things. It wasn't even just weapons, looking at his hands Adam could think of different ways to use his body as a weapon. When it came to fighting and killing Adam suddenly knew it all.

Adam gains the Divine trait War [+2]

Farro (Taelos, Amast Bevy)

The bargain was a heavy one and not made by a light decision, but those present had seen what Elice had been willing to sacrifice and she had been one of the hardest people they had known. As such the convocation was made and the contract struck, those 12 present bound to the Promise they made and scattered to the winds. One was not bound to always directly work for the sake of Order, one could take a wife and raise a family for example, to try and continue their line and to bind more to the idea of Order. In this way each of them could make small concessions and from time to time, escape from the most arduous of their responsibilities. Of course the responsibility could not be shaken for too long and there were difficulties with even thinking about acting against it. But when they had drawn the keys and spoken the words; "So we promise, here in this place with each other as witness." There was a unified purpose to it, as well as a sense of brotherly and sisterly love for those also bound to their Order. From that day on none of them would ever truly be alone.

So it was that they left, one to return to Amast Bevy, but the others scattering to find out what was happening in the world and to try and guide it to order. Farro was left there on his own with his own next choice to make.

Success, as their first task the Procession of Arrows scatters to try and find out what is happening in the world. From time to time you will receive updates, general information on big events and situations in other lands.

Ilvis (Eosia, Eisos)

The horse began to gallop and Ilvis matching her beat to its hooves striking the ground. Whump whump. Whump whump. The metallic hooves dug up the dirt as the creature of iron and will ran until Ilvis, focusing on where she wanted to go saw her hand and sword glow brilliant white. With a swipe of the blade that seemed to cut the very air into the colours of the rainbow the horse swung its head causing the blade to cut open the air in front of it. The beast leapt through the air and the world stopped for one terrifying second.

Thwop thwop. Thwop thwop. This time the hooves struck the sound of paved stone and Ilvis had to blink the rain out of her eyes as she found herself in a market in a busy city. The horse managed to turn around and canter to a stop right in front of a rather surprised looking Civar. Ilvis' sword sizzled slightly in the rain as it cooled down from what it had done.

Success, Ilvis gains the Divine trait Travel [+2]

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 22, 2013

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar Kit'An (Eosia, Eosis, Vanthos' Bookstoore)

I swept my cloak off and draped it around Aideen since Arhoun had destroyed hers. I was soaked to the bones in seconds from the downpour I'd created. Maybe I should work on control. All I'd wanted was a giant lightning bolt. Nothing big. "Thank you Aideen. You've been a tremendous help. Regardless of where it is now, it ran right here. Maybe there's a clue inside." Together, we trudged through the rain towards the store. Noticing an elegantly carved sign reading 'Vanthos Books' beside the door I focused on the Raven's Claw token so Eisner could hear too when suddenly he appeared out of nowhere and reined up in front of us.

"Just in time Eisner. I'm drat happy to see you The Demon Drug Dealer ran in there, and Aideen says she can't sense it anymore. Let's go take a look and see if it left any clues behind. Be careful though, it's a hell of a lot stronger than me. I say it, but it called itself Arhoun. I've never heard that name in my travels before, have you?" The front door was locked when we got to it. Trying to keep a blacksmith out with a lock? Ridiculous. I slipped my tools back inside the lining of my belt before toeing the door open. No-one objected so I led the way in and almost jumped out my shoes when Aideen closed the door behind us. My nerves were strung tight as harp string. That thing could be hiding from Aideen anywhere in here. The same way it had hidden its true from earlier, but we had to be sure so I gestured for her to keep close as I prowled inside.

Some crazy part of my mind couldn't help noticing a copy of Eorland's Tales. I'd been looking for a copy for years since Catullus had mentioned in it one of his poems and I thought it might have clues to my parent's murder. I'd have to come back to grab it and see what other treasures might be here, but first things first. Like not getting immolated by giant four-armed monsters.

Divine Action: Looking for where the demon went
Order +2: To sense the break in reality if the demon portal is here
Weather +2: To sense where the weather of this world is disrupted by the weather from the hot demon world if the demon portal is here

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 22, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Val Aman, Val Setin

The Spider Lord was, on some level, a bit perturbed by the occasional spiderdog and spidercat. That's more than a little bizarre, really. Were they administered the antidote by anxious owners? So strange. Perhaps they could be of some use in some way, but for the moment they were of little concern. More important were his emerging children, who would need guidance. And so he dispatched his minions to gather newly-reborn at the Palace, where he would address them in person. They had questions, no doubt. But first, he would need to visit a very special friend...

Octagon stared down at the cocoon containing Elkud's malleable form. He could feel the potential waiting within that silken sack, waiting for... what? His touch? Yes, just so. The viscous soup that is Elkud's body responded to the Spider Lord's will and whim. Octagon began to mold Elkud into a most useful tool, and realized this was the start of something... special. A world of endless possibility was beginning to unfold.

"Awaken, my child, and be reborn as something greater than you were. You, who made all this possible. You shall be my emissary, the first of many. Emerge from your slumber, and join your new family."

LATER, AT THE PALACE...

Octagon made himself at home in the Great Hall of the Palace, perched upon, or perhaps above, the throne. The room was, by now, full of his newly-created hybrids. His children. They filled the Hall, clung to the ceilings and walls. Fighting was, of course, very strongly "discouraged" by his loyal minions. From his vantage point, his children appeared to be without number. With the Queen at his side, Octagon addressed the gathered spiders.

"Many of you are, no doubt, wondering just what has transpired to bring such... miraculous change to this city. I have gathered you here so that you might understand. Know that I am your Father, for it was by my Will and my Power that you have been freed of that frail, weak body you once inhabited. Freed of those frail... delicious creatures who would claim to rule over you. I have given you power and, in so doing, created a new race of people. A better race. Humans may call us 'monsters', but what is the opinion of an insect to us?

"This city... is now yours. Its lands, its forests, are yours to do with what you will. Go forth, be fruitful and multiply."

VICTORY! :toot:

I am completing Elkud's transformation. Using Spider-Lord [+2] and Transformation [+2]. I am going to enhance Elkud's natural Spying tendencies and abilities, and turn him into a Human-Mimic Spider. He will be able to pass as human, should he choose, while actually being a spider-person, with all the benefits that provides.

Then I am gathering everyone and telling them what's up. I'm not trying to "do" anything so no roll is needed, I imagine. I just hope these dopes don't start a big fight. That would be silly!

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 23, 2013

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo

As the spell broke in the face of the unknowably vast and powerful force of Creation itself, Edo felt yet again the crushing sense of his own insignificance, his own utter meaninglessness. But the voice had spoken, and it had not said "No". It had not said, "Never". Edo knew now that his doubts were misplaced. It had said, "Not Yet".

One day, Edo knew with the conviction of the newly converted, he would be one with the Will. He would transcend even the great powers he now held and become more than a fisherman or even a mage. It was just a matter of getting to that point; of becoming ready and of fulfilling his purpose on this place so that one day he was ready to cast the spell that would bring him into unity with the universe. And to show him the path, the Will gave him a gift - magic given life.

The living magic was a curious thing; Edo's gift for magic told him that it was made up of thousands of trivial spells, somehow working together to create a cohesive whole. It was no imp or lesser spirit summoned by a witch; it was complex beyond anything he'd seen before, with the potential to expend some of the energy of which it was made to cast further spells to change its shape or purpose. It was beautiful.

Edo could not forget the fallen body of his friend, Val, but nor could he ignore the creature with him. So, by way of introduction, he smiled at the creature and, waving it to come closer and observe, he laid his hands on the golem and cast the spell of resurrection. It was a curious one, drawing on the light and heat of the sun to build a tunnel for a lost soul to be reborn in a body healed of destruction and ready for the spark of life.

Power flooded into him and Edo was surrounded by a pillar of sunlight brighter than the ground nearby. And as he worked he prayed, that the same power revealed by his previous spell would aid him to cheat the injustice of death itself...

Divine healing/lifecarving +2 and Divine Magic +2 to resurrect Val. I assume Davos has run away by now; if not, defending with those qualities if required. On a side note, can Edo go talk with the loyal magisters in any post, or do I need to spend an action finding them?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Beltheus

Beltheus stepped through the portal and gazed at the scene. He noticed the strange spiderlike creatures as they observed the priest with hungry eyes, and he took in the confusion and fear on the priest's face. With a snarl, he sent bursts of black flame at the two beasts and watched them scream and pop as the fire consumed them utterly.

With them dead, he turns to the priest. "Have no fear, Father, you are safe as long as I am here. But what are these things? And why have they invaded this church?"
<Nenji> The priest looks visibly shaken by what has happened, and by both Beltheus and the dead spider creatures.
<Nenji> "They...they were people. Before. There was a plague and...there was medicine...but those who grew sick and took the medicine became those...monsters." He said shuddering visibly.
<Beltheus> "Father, are you all right? Here, take a little bit of brandy." He holds out a flask
<Nenji> "They...they feed on people!" He cries out a little hysterically.
<Beltheus> "You're safe with me. I won't let them hurt you."
<Beltheus> "Do you know who provided the medicine? Was it a man named Edo?"
<Nenji> "They ate the alter boy." He whispers, tears falling down his cheeks and his eyes wide. "They wrapped him up and ate him. He screamed so much. So much...so much..."
<Nenji> The priest right now seems a little out of it, Beltheus probably needs to either smack him and startle him out of his trauma, or calm him somehow.
<Beltheus> "Father! I know you're frightened, but if you want to get out of this, you have to snap out of it! Trust me, I know what it's like. My wife and son were horribly murdered."
<Beltheus> "But, you have to grieve later."
<Nenji> "Right...right...um...you asked who gave the medicine? I don't know. The alchemists stocked it, although I think there was one in particular who got it first."
<Beltheus> "I might be able to help you, but I need to know what you want and what price you're willing to pay for your desires to come true."
<Nenji> "I do not know this Edo you speak of though."
<Beltheus> "Who? What was his name?"
<Nenji> "I don't know. I didn't think about it at the time."
<Beltheu> "All right. We can figure that out later."
<Beltheus> "The portal I've come through. We can take it to get you to safety. Do you want that?"
<Nenji> "Um." He says, looking behind you at your demesne.
Beltheus thinks, and the plane turns into a garden
<Beltheus> "Better?
<Nenji> The man visibly relaxes a little.
<Nenji> "Yes...I think....the Gods have forsaken this place. If I remain here all that is left for me is to be eaten."
<Nenji> The priest shudders again, an impressive display on his round body.
<Beltheus> "Good. Then come with me and we'll talk about what you want to do next."

They step through into the cool and relaxing garden.
<Nenji> "I feel a little...strange." The Priest says as he steps into your realm.
<Beltheus> "You've just had an unnerving experience. It's natural to feel strange."
<Nenji> "What is this place, and where is it?"
<Beltheus> "That is a complicated question. This place is my home, and it exists somewhere not in the world we have just come from."
<Beltheus> "Tell me, Father, what does your religion say about the universe?"
<Nenji> "Well, the Father spun the Sun from the Void and the Mother gave birth to the World. Then the Son shaped the World and all made the creatures who lived upon it. The Mother gives birth to us, the son keeps us until we die, when the Father takes us into his care in the afterlife."
<Nenji> "Those who are pious will know peace and plenty,
<Beltheus> "And those who are not?"
<Nenji> "While those who are lax in the piety, or even sacreligious, will face further hardships in return for their sin and unfaithfulness."
<Beltheus> "It isn't my religion, but for all that I know, it may be true. I know that those who choose to serve me come here after they die. Undoubtedly with the permission of the Father you speak of."
<Nenji> "Wait...am I...dead?" The priest asks confused.
<Beltheus> "I don't believe so. This is my place. Anyone can come here if I let them, living or dead."
<Nenji> "But...who ARE you then?"
<Beltheus> "I brought you here so that we can have a safe place to talk"
<Beltheus> "A friend, I hope. Someone who wants to help you. Who wants to give you what you want. I have different names, but you can call me Beltheus."
<Nenji> "Beltheus...that sounds like Belenar, Saint of Apothecaries." The priest murmurs with a frown.
<Beltheus> "So, what DO you want?"
<Nenji> "I...uh..."
<Nenji> The man sort of flounders.
<Nenji> "What do you mean?"
<Beltheus> "Well, I feel that I was drawn to your church for a reason. Maybe it was just to save you from the spider creatures, but maybe there's some other reason. I sense in your great potential. Clearly, you're a man gifted by your Father. I can help you develop those gifts, if you let me."
<Nenji> "Gifts...potential...I'm not sure what you're talking about. I wasn't Head Pontifex, but it was just a matter of time for waiting for the old fool to die until I was. I had food, money, an estate...all I did was make sure people were happy and did what I want, or were scared of what I'd make happen if they didn't."
<Beltheus> "An admirable life."
<Nenji> "Never let it be said I had it easy, I worked hard to make things happen for me."
<Nenji> The Priest doesn't seem to realise he is speaking quite so freely.
<Beltheus> "Of course. And you were rewarded for your dilligence, as you should have been."
<Beltheus> "That's the way of it. Those who are worthy and work hard get the power they deserve."
<Nenji> "What about you Beltheus? How did you come across this power?"
<Beltheus> "As many do. I showed one greater than I that I was worthy of being his servant, and he rewarded me."
<Nenji> "Is that what you want? For me to serve you?"
<Beltheus> "Do you wish to? I can make you powerful. Give you things you want. But you know as well as I do that nothing comes without a cost. Nothing is free. I could make you Head Pontifex if you desire it, or something else. Something you desire more."
<Nenji> The Priest thought about this long and hard.
<Nenji> Then very quietly he says,
<Nenji> "I do not wish to die. I am weak, I fear that there is nothing that waits for me. The Father, The Mother, The Son...none have ever spoken to me. Are they even real? I am plagued by doubts and fear that when I die I will simply disappear."
<Beltheus> "Many have those doubts. Even religious men doubt. I can promise you that, if you enter into my service, you will not die of age, or disease. You'll have stamina greater than that of ordinary men, able to survive injuries that would kill even a strong man. You may die of misadventure, or if you're foolish. Know that I won't protect you from your own stupidity. But I promise you this, I am real. I will speak to you. I will have a place for you. Does it serve?"
<Nenji> "Why not? Everything I had in Val Setin has been taken by those spider things now. I have nothing and no one else to turn to. So yes, I will do what you say Beltheus."
<Beltheus> "Then take my hand."

And with that, Beltheus infuses him with his power. As their hands touch, the priest seems to change. While he still is, by all outwards appearances, an old man, there does not appear to be any more weakness in him. He radiates vitality. More than that, though, he radiates conviviality and trustworthiness. This is a man you can tell your secrets to, one who you want to take into your confidence. He's so obviously kindly and wise, and full of good advice.

Beltheus smiles. "My servant Ochsbright. I have given you power over men's minds. Yours is the gift of illusion and charm. People will see and hear what you wish them to see and hear, think what you tell them to think, believe what you tell them to believe. No secrets shall be hidden from you, and mankind's deepest shames revealed, for you to do with as you will. Go forth in my name. Win yourself followers and servants and grow in power."

His benediction done, Beltheus watches Ochsbright go back out through the portal, the spider creatures no longer a danger to him. Beltheus follows, his goal to discover the source of these creatures, and what dark brilliance is behind them.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 26, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis - (Eosia, Eosis, Vanthos' Bookstoore)

"Oh hello Civar, you're alright then? Before we get too further here can I just make sure of one thing? Just a moment ago did you happen to feel a sort of horrible twisting aching gut feeling, like a cramp but worse? Sort of like the world's gone wrong altogether? And then it almost happened again right after?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Adam and Kovar

quote:

Adam: It took less than a moment for Adam to catch onto his breath, his grin wider than it had ever been. He had done it. He had taken Kovar's training and used it to make himself a better man! Good thing he was so good with a Spe... He paused, his eyes widening, the grin disappearing, and he dropped the spear in shock. He looked over at Kovar, surprising himself at where his eyes were going. His neck - slightly exposed to the right. Perfect lean in for a thrust. His legs, breakable with the right pressure. He could be pushed into the jutting rock on the left side of the wall - And he screamed: "Fer Stone's Sake Kovar! Somethin' bad just ruddy 'curred!"

Kovar: His breathing still heavy, and his heartbeat pounding like a drum in his ear, Kovar takes a minute to catch his breath before responding, "I had noticed."

Adam: He reached in to give Kovar a hand - hands, not straightened. Grabbed from the left side, he could put him in a hold - and gestured to one of his tabled, giving the rather large and well built man a place to sit. "Oh... I cannae think ya did Kovar. I cannae think I like it either."

Kovar: Sitting down Kovar responds, "Well, liking it is not really relevant. Whatever happened, happened, and now all there is to do is cope with it."

Adam: He leaned back, looking at his weapon rack in disdain - "I'm... I'm a bloody killer."

***Kovar looked at him with hard eyes, "So? I've killed many people, some with my own hands, and some by my order. It's the way of the world."

Adam: "No.. no no no that's not what I mean... Kovar, I'm an actual killer." He pointed to the weapon rack, eyes widened. "Ye may be efficient Kovar, but can even ye use all of those things in a fair fight? Looking now, I can see things. The spear. Balance on its tail. Swift with ye strikes, best fer larger enemies. Warhammer. Crushing. But notch on corner 'er stone makes it a wee bit wild ta swing from me left. Right swings best advantage." He turned to Kovar, looking at him dead in the eyes. "Ye right hand. On the table. A kick to it's legs will make ya drop. The drop will bring ya to me level, where I can finish ye off with the table leg from the fall. Yer shoes. Left one has a stone just above it. I stomp on that, ye pain will be enough fer me ta make a grab at yer throat. Yer breathing. Yer heartbeat. I can here it. It's like... it's calling ta me. It wants me ta crush it in the palm of my dirty, bloody hands! AND I CANNAE STOP THINKING LIKE THIS!"

***Kovar sighs. "I know most of those things you said, at least about the weapons, being a weaponsmaster is knowing those things, though I can't say I'm even nearly as in touch with them as you are now. As for your problem, I may have a way to help."

Adam: "N-no... No Kovar.. I can't do this.. I'm not a fighter. I don't want ta hurt nobody..." he starts to back away from Kovar, although as he speaks, his words become slightly more slurred, his eyes drooping, and his actions seemingly slowed. He seems to drift almost into his meditative state for a moment, before snapping out of it when his leg hits the end of the spear, and he yelps in pain.

Kovar: "You are a fighter, it's in your blood now, but you're not a soldier, and that's the heart of your problem. You've got all this talent, but absolutely no control at all. It's why you can't turn it off, and it's also why right now you're dangerous to those around you."

Adam: He drifted again for a moment, but kept his ground, biting his lip. Kovar's words were against everything he liked, but he couldn't really bring himself to just outright refuse him. At least not wholeheartedly anyway. The man did make quite a bit of sense. He looked over, and bit his lip, praying to the stone beneath him for strength. "I see what ya mean... I just.. I just need a bit of a break from the training that's all. Maybe a break from it all. Maybe a holiday."

Kovar: "Normally, I'd agree, but until you are taught at least the most basic level of discipline, something that would have normally been woven into your training, I'm not sure if it would be safe."

Adam: "I... I don't know... just something.. small.. right?"

Kovar: "What do you mean?"

Adam: "Just.. you know... a little more training. Nothing too serious. Nothing that's going to make me do more of this..."

Kovar: "Well, I'm not really sure I could teach you to kill things any better, I doubt there's a better warrior than you in the world. What I'd be teaching you is the discipline and the control so that you don't have to worry about getting angry and lashing out, and that you can stop or at least ignore your mind calculating the most efficient means to inflict damage all the time."

Kovar: "Normally the training in discipline and control would be woven in throughout the whole process in gradual doses. Seeing how you've short-circuited the normal process, you'd have to deal with getting nothing but training in discipline and control, all at once, in huge doses. We're in uncharted territory here, so I have no real idea what the side effects of that might be, but I do know it will help you."

Adam: "Well... I suppose that wouldn't be too bad... but on one condition."

Kovar: "Which is?"

Adam: He took a breath. "Something calming. Gentler, simpler, easy. Like farming. Or... note taking. Like paper work of the people here. Anything that doesn't have to do with weapons and soldiers and running an underground city."

Kovar: "I think we can manage to retreat into seclusion for a while. Though I will say one thing, you're going to have to come to terms and accept this new part of your self if you want to have any hopes of controlling it."

Adam: "I'll control it, when I'm ready to accept that can think of various ways to kill you through your nostrils. Until then I am more than happy to just let it past. Let's just go away somewhere. Like the isles you are so fond of. Just for a while."

Kovar: "Going there would be a very bad idea. If I ever go back to Mirn, I'll be killed on sight. So if I do return it had better be at the head of a massive army. We can head for the coast of the Sun Plains though. People are sparse there, and you'll be able to see the ocean and the beeches I keep talking about."

Adam: "The sun plains... that sounds... kind of relaxing. To be honest.. I would rather go see where your home is Kovar, but I suppose the sun plains will do as well. The thing I know is, I can't stay like this.. what if I hurt someone?"

Kovar: "Good, you prepare for the journey, but before we go I do need to speak with Burd and the others to leave them some orders for while we're gone."

Adam: "Alright. Out of curiosity though... can we... if just for me own sake... go to Mirn somehow? Even if it's just for a day?"

Kovar: "Mirn is surrounded by storms and choppy water, so getting to there and back is difficult, but that's not the real problem. I was exiled, the people there know only the lies of the king who betrayed me and would kill me and those who traveled with me as soon as look at me. There's nothing I want more in the world than to go back, but I know all too well what will happen if I do."

Kovar: "The Sun Plains are were I washed up, they're as close to Mirn as I can get for the moment."

Adam: "Then... then they will do. We only just got back. Let's give it a few moons... then we should go. Please."

Kovar: "You have my word. I think you should take it easy. Maybe Thadroin will be able to ease the burden for you till we leave."

Adam: "I will.. I will try to. I just.. I just need... ah... Sorry Kovar. I lost my way there. What would I do without you?"

***Kovar gives a warm smile, and reaches down to encircle Adam in a comforting embrace, "It's not something you'll ever have to worry about."

Adam: Kovar's arms - His left bicep, under the elbow. An excellent place to aim when needing leverage to break his arms - were warm, and he sighed quietly, taking them in. Kovar hadn't done him wrong before, why would he start now. Besides, they were going to go see the Sun plains soon, that would be excellent.

Kovar: Kovar's voice rumbled comfortingly over Adam, "Make sure to focus on taking deep, even breaths. Until we leave it'll be important for you to stay as calm as you are able to. Do what you have to, but the calmer you are the safer you are for others."

Adam: "Alright.. alright... I got it already... Umn... Can you.. uh... let go of me now? This is a little bit unruly."

***Kovar laughs. "You mainlanders are always so touchy and prudish about physical contact, I don't understand it."

Adam: He cocks a gentle smile. "Well maybe you southerners should keep ya hands to themselves sometimes. Or are you all crazy huggers back on the isles?"

Kovar: "I can't say I'm very different than anyone else, though I do try and restrain myself since I've come here."

Adam: "good. In the meantime, I better get back to work. There's a bloody lot of things to do with the new people in. And we need some kind of income, if we're going to be trading with the neighbouring villages. Best way ta get our name known."

Kovar: "Good, and I need to make some plants that can support a population of Burds and Jesups.

Adam: "Ye gads... what do ye know about farming then?"

Kovar: "Only a little, but I do know that I can use my power to make extremely hardy and huge plants."

Adam: "Ye want ta create a hardy plant? Like a tree?"

Kovar: "Hardy crops, at least. Also, perhaps especially large food animals. I was able to make both a giant goat, and a goat that could eat rocks when I was experimenting."

Adam: "Aye.. well.. if ye think ya can handle it, It's up ta you. I got me a little bit 'er work ta settle, so I'll get to it."

Kovar: "Just remember to do what you need to in order to keep calm."

Adam: "Aye aye.. just remember to water those plants."

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar Kit'An (pure fluff, Eosia, Eosis, Vanthos' Bookstoore)

"Yes, and yes. I'm starting to think we could spend the rest of our natural lives hunting down these reckless madmen and freaks without catching them all. First things first though, the devil before us."

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis - (Eosia, Eosis, Vanthos' Bookstore)

"Ah excellent, preempting my second question then. We're in agreement that whoever is doing it and whatever it is, clearly it needs to stop. But demons. I can do demons. Find them, interrogate them, help their victims, and put them (the demons anyway) to the sword?"

I swish my blade experimentally, watching the rainbow flicker as it sings through the air.

"Anyway, inside the store you say? Well then, I'm more than happy to lead. I trust the two of you at my back."

Sliding off Avenger, I check my vambraces just in case before grabbing my shield from its back and kicking the door of the shop open.

"Guess it's time to hit the books?"

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 25, 2013

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir-Elysian Sands

Mazir contemplated his golem. In time perhaps he could build an army by himself, but for now, he could maintain one at a time, same for all his disciples, Nomad could control two, which would help. So in addition to the one hundred metal men, he could have a core of golem who could act as incredible shock troops. Plus as he and his people moved out, they could incorporate more elements into the golems to make them more hardy, and increase their survival odds.

He gathered his disciples and taught them the spell, he then ordered them to make one golem and train with it, to ensure that when they left in several weeks, they would be prepared to control their new soldier in a fight. While the rest of his people forged their weapons and made hardy their martial training, the spell weavers prepared the shock soldiers who would bring the sands upon the world!

Training my disciples to make sand golems, then instructing them to each make one.

+2 Divine: Soul Magic. Using my abilities to demonstrate how this is done.

+4 Intelligence: Using my intellect to break down how this spell is preformed and how the cooperation between golem and spell caster can be achieved. This way each spell caster understands how to work this (I'm being a kick-rear end teacher!).

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos

Leaving the passages of Under-Sellos, Kovar returned to the surface. Before he consulted with Burd and the others and informed him of what was to come, Kovar wanted to be ready with some solutions to the issues such as food production. So, he strode out to the small fields outside of Sellos, and took one each of several varieties of food crops that were planted. Taking the plants he had dug up, he walked to a secluded area far separated from the main fields, and replanted them. Then, he focuses his power, attempting to strengthen them, to let them produce more food from less, to allow these new plants to feed his new people.

Wheat, potatoes, carrots, these were all staple crops, and now Kovar was experimenting with altering their very nature by will alone. Perhaps there was something to this whole god business.

Experimenting with making improved food crops. Strength[+2] to try and strengthen the crops so that they can make more food with less soil nutrients.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Farro Kapersi - Taelos, Amast-Bevy (Now with wiki link!)
Update 5

Farro watched with a feeling of deep satisfaction as his fellow Arrows silently turned and dispersed into the night. He knew they’d leave any information they found here, inside one of their Keys. He’d have to check in periodically to gather the intel. Still, with the first Arch right here, that should be easy enough.

He turned to Elice’s lifeless body, and a pang of sorrow and regret shot through him. Whether it was truly a death or something else, as Anmiel had suggested, it was close enough to death to him at that moment, in that place. And he couldn’t just leave her to rot on the ground. After all, even if he didn’t feel indebted to her in a strange way, the less attention brought to this place the better. He picked up her body and stepped through the Arch into his Demesne.

Anmiel said that he had power over this place. He thought about that. What kind of power? Could he physically change the place? As if in answer, he a small alcove off to the right that he hadn’t seen the first time he entered the Arch. Something compelled him to investigate it, and he did so. The light in the alcove was still intense, but it felt darker than in the rest of the area. Somber, perhaps. And before him, on either side of a path of solid black obsidian, were rows of stark white marble sarcophagi extending into the distance as far as he could see. There was no label or signage in the alcove, but he knew instinctively the name of the place: Martyr’s Rest. It was the Hall of Broken Arrows, those who swore their lives to order and in their service made the ultimate sacrifice. On his left, the first sarcophagus sat open. He gently deposited the body into the edifice and hoisted the cover into place. He shouldn’t have been able to move and secure half a ton of stone as easily as he did, but then a lot of things had been happening that were abnormal as of late. He traced his Key upon the lid of the receptacle with his finger, leaving an arrow of softly glowing golden light. And within the Key he left an inscription: “Here lies Elice, mother to one and many. The First of the Procession and the First to complete her Duty. May her sacrifice by a light to us in dark places.”

He sat on the opposite sarcophagus for a few minutes, deep in thought. The message of the unending hall was not lost to him; many more would have to fall in the line of duty to complete their appointed task. Even him, perhaps, if he could even die. In any case, he had a promise to keep and a job to do. He stood up and exited the alcove. Returning to the main plaza, he stood before the Arch. This place was going to need a name. He reached into himself, and the names became apparent immediately. The Arch he marked thusly: Gate of the Procession. An inscription slowly formed along the top of the arch, small flakes of marble falling away and dissolving into nothingness until perfectly shaped letter remained. And this place, his Demesne, was the goal of the Procession. It was the beginnings of Order in the world, but it was also the destination. It was Terminus.

His labeling done, he turned to the task at hand. He needed to find and protect Elice’s daughter. And to do that, he had to travel to the last place Elice had seen her. He needed to travel to Harlakake. He closed his eyes, and attempted to open a gate to that place, the Gate of the Loved.

Farro’s demesne reacts to his desire and creates Martyr’s Rest, a burial alcove for dead Arrows.

Farro uses Divine: Love +2 to open a gate to Harlakake, where Elice last saw her daughter. He draws upon the motherly love she sacrificed to him to bring himself closer the the object of her greatest affection.

He also attempts to use Divine: Contracts +2 to assist with the gate. He’s not sure if it will work because he’s never called on the power of a previously made Contract to complete and action related to that Contract at a later date, but it feels right for him to try. And he needs to know more about the limitations of his power.

If possible, he is trying to direct the gate to open in as private a location as possible.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 23, 2013

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Adam - Under-Sellos

There was work to be done, and things to do with it. Speaking to Kovar was did not hurt his confidence in his abilities, but he did his best not to catch people in the eye as he slowly worked out their weak points and vunerabilties.

For now though, he needed to focus, keep himself straight, and distract himself with as much paper work as hum - dwarvenly possible.

The other two towns had been well established, and he had - hopefully - gained enough of a reputation for them to trust his word. Time he solidified that. He had Thadroin to keep an eye on the people - that man was equal to importance to him as Kovar was at this stage - and he had the bandit kid to tell him of the more dangerous routes through the villages. With this in mind, he began to compose letters, and start up caravans to and from those areas.

Action:
Going to see if I can't start keeping up with the other two towns that we ran into, that way people can go home and see their families and loved ones, and we can start a proper exchange of goods. Under-Sellos has an abundance of skillsmen, let's have them make and create stuff and put it to good use.

Leader (Divine) +2 Organising? Peace of cake! I got this! Not only will we be doing caravans, we will be sending them essential goods as well

Dwarf (Divine) +2 Creating things to send two and from the area (including arming caravans against bandits and making tools for people in need. Maybe some of that new metal stuff... I think I'll call it Steel. Sounds decent of a name).

Don't want no trouble -2 Of course, keeping all these people in check might possibly bring out something Terribad. Have to be careful how I treat them in correspondence.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Civar and Ilvis (Eosia, Eisos)

You spend the next hour or so searching the place carefully top to bottom. It looks as though no one has been living in here for a few months, dust is beginning to settle except for footprints that move around and seem to end in the bedroom. There is a double bed there and a single bed, but beginning to be covered in dust and cobwebs as well. It seems like whoever lived here had a child, but they probably had to leave in the event of the rebellion if they don't have something to do with Arhuon's disappearance. Regardless it seems like something happened, Civar can feel some vague perturbations on order, but nothing that really gives you any real information to go on. Arhuon's trail has gone cold at least for the time being.

Failure. Sorry, you didn't roll well and weather just didn't apply in this situation. Gates don't affect the weather in a meaningful way at the moment.

Octagon (Val Aman, Val Setin)

It was Octagon's touch that Elkud was waiting for. As the Spider Lord sent his power through the cocoon he could feel the changes begin to happen inside. It would take time for the transformation to complete, so Octagon left the place and went out into the city. By the time he'd reached the palace most of the fires in the city seemed to have burned out and rain began to fall. The water was...bothersome to the spiderfolk and although Octagon could ignore it safely enough it did make him feel slightly uncomfortable. The gathering in the palace seemed to be starting to run out of initial inertia. There had been a degree of frenzied instinct and adrenaline after the initial change but now people were beginning to realise to a degree what had happened and were confused and frightened.

Octagon's words though seemed to galvanise them. The people seemed to change postures even as he spoke, beginning to seem less like people in spiderfolk bodies, and more like they were accustomed to their bodies. Most of them moved out, although some remained behind speaking to each other. It seemed for now they would move out and try to rebuild new lives, although many were unsure what to make of it all even if they felt vaguely excited and energized by it all now.

Elkud's cocoon was ripe and swollen by the time Octagon returned and as if his return had been the cue Elkud had been waiting for he began to cut his way out of the cocoon with his incisors. Elkud was bulkier and more compact than the other spiders that had been made based off of Octagon's original work. He looked around slowly and then at himself carefully and with an alert and critical eye. He gently tested his new arachnid appendages for a few moments before he tested out his new ability. It would have been unsettling to watch for a human, as the body of Elkud sort of spun around and into itself as a fleshy exterior for his human body seemed to reveal itself from somewhere inside the bulk of the spider. Elkud's new form was in the same way as his spider form, bulkier than he had been and there was a great deal of muscle where the scrawny priest had not had some before. Had he not been a spider in disguise it was likely that people would naturally find him attractive, which would work well for what Octagon had in mind for him. Then Elkud changed back and made a curious bowing motion.

"I see that you made me different from the others Lord Octagon. I should have been more wary of the plague, at any rate it is no longer relevant. I am ready for your first commands."

Success, Elkud has been made into a special form of spider-man-creature (please name them soon) that will be hard to detect as not being human. Although magic and divine powers will have much more luck.

The next day one of your children reports that they have found three bodies in a cathedral, with terrible burns and holes in their chests. Not all of the city had lived through the transformations, some of the better defended estates had even managed to kill a few of the new people and escape the city. However none of them had done anything like this and it had been in a church as well. There was no sign of the priest that had ministered there either and none of your people had eaten him.

The work was hard, and Edo could feel that he might even risk draining himself until nothingness. But then he began to think about the sun, to reach out for power. At first it was a gentle sensation of warmth that began in his hands and began to spread. As Edo cast his spell, locked in the magic until he could finish it, the power crept through his arms and into his chest before suddenly rushing to all of the ends of his body. Val began to glow bright gold as the spell seeped into him and it seemed as though light itself began to gather itself into his chest. All in one last rush something beyond was sucked back into Val's chest and he coughed for a moment, despite not breathing or having liquid in his body. Edo stepped back and watched as Val's eyes opened. They were different now, almost a liquid fire...or...filled with sunlight. The statue was also not fading back to the normal white grey of the stone it had been hewn from. Then Edo paused. Not all of that colour was from Val.

Glancing down at his hands Edo Blackwater realised that he was glowing an incandescent white gold, and the rain that was falling steamed off of his body. He did not stop glowing as well, all the radiance of the sun that was hidden by the clouds pouring rain seemed to be contained within him, as if it had been taken and placed inside a new receptacle. Edo did not feel hot as such, but there was a deep warmth that pervaded into the very reaches of his body and mind. By channelling the power of the sun into Val to resurrect him, he seemed to have taken it into himself as well.

"You seem to be living up to my namesake more than me. I am glad you are still safe Edo." The great statue said weakly, but gently as he lay there in the rain alive against all the laws in the world.

Success, you also gain the Divine Trait: Sun [+2]. Whether you permanently glow is up to you though.

Beltheus (Val-Aman, Val-Setin)

Ochsbright seemed disappointed for a moment that he had not been granted youth as well, but he did not really feel age anymore and with illusions he could make himself seem what he appeared. He walked out of the portal and took the form of one of the spider creatures, but made to leave the city of Val Setin. He did not know how to tempt a spider after all.

Success, although next time you would be wise not to have your text narrate success pre-emptively. Your roll was only just over the mark and I was feeling generous.

Beltheus however wandered the city and watched as the spiders began to congregate in the palace. From outside he could hear a being speak, a being with power in his voice like Beltheus. (You can hear Octagon's speech to the spiders at this point)

Mazir (Elysian Sands, Elsyia)

The magic took a lot out of the caster and it seemed that not many of your people were competent enough yet to maintain the focus and control to sustain the golems. They had the skill, and they had the reserves but only barely so. As such most could not control the golems for long as they grew tired and their focus began to waver. In time people would gain more stamina, but at this point it did not seem like it would be in time for Mazir's plans. At least without some other form of intervention.

However during this time people had begun to redecorate Elysia. Although the great reservoir in the centre of the rock formations made the sand magics hard, people were beginning to use sand to cut away their caves and shape them, while the stronger of the casters had made small permanent features out of sand. They were not as elegant as Mazir's works, being more like sandstone than any other material, but it was the beginning of making the place into something more which was a welcome piece of good news in the string of set backs that Mazir had been having.

Failure, unfortunately your students are not kick-rear end pupils and there are complications in them mastering the ability.

Kovar (Taeless, Outskirts of Over-Sellos)

The results had good points and bad points. The good part was that the plants did produce more and were able to do so from less. The bad part was that their roots were invasive, destructive and three of the plants had begun to seek out Kovar before he moved away. Even now he watched as a poor hare was snared by vines and dragged into the middle of the bush that had been wheat stalks and now resembled some kind of tree made out of multitudes of wheat stalks. They'd grown together into a single voracious plant that seemed to even now devour the rabbit and the bottom of the wheat stalks, as Kovar watched them thicken and lengthen, had a concerning blood red tinge.

Failure. You've created monster plants instead, imbuing them with the wrong parts of Strength. Divine botany is more difficult than expected.

Farro Kaspersi (Taeless, Harlakake)

From this end Farro did not really make a gate. As Anmiel had said it was more of a terminus, many places could lead to it and it could lead to many places. But it was only one place. As such when Farro opened the new door, the Gate simply folded out into a new direction. Where once there had been one path there were now two. That in itself was simple, even if the act of doing so had left Farro panting and dripping with sweat. In the end it seemed that he had indeed been right in his estimation, as long as he used his power to the direct fulfilment of the contract he could tap into further power simply by virtue of the contract's connection. But he'd need to be wary, it seemed that it would be literal in its interpretation.

The Gate now expanded, Farro stepped out into the sun of Harlakake.

Success, you manage to expand the Gate. Your demesne also changing according to your whim, but isn't much larger than that single building right now.

Adam (Taeless, Under-Sellos)

The key to Sellos before had been trade. It would still be trade in the future, at least as far as Adam could see it. The export of Steel would do a lot, and giving it to nearby villages for a cheaper price would allow them to make more money and then have more wealth in circulation. Dwarves were naturally assigned to oversee the transport of the valuable cargo, although all agreed that they would have much preferred to be underground with a proper cave roof over their heads. But the caravans were not overly long journeys and furthermore they always returned home. The burden was not too great or too long. Adam likely wouldn't see the proper returns on the initial investment until he returned from the planned journey, but he felt confident he'd made a good start.

Success, although as a side note I would also suggest that you try trading with less isolated villages as they will have more goods that Sellos will need.

Rathin Stonewill (The Sun Plains)

Rathin toyed with the tiger heart he wore. Just a few days ago the second change had happened, he'd felt it ripple through his body like a pain that would be impossible to physically describe. This one had been closer as well, to the north and east a little. But the plains did not often give people much time to consider such mysteries for long. There was the business of life to attend to after all, and hunts did not conduct themselves in ones absence.

But here was a lush paradise, a pool that should not have been so full until the spring rains. It was summer and it should nearly be dry by now, but there were many beasts gather around it drinking and plants had began to grow even thicker than they should. There was food almost ready for the taking, but the question was why...and who.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos

There were times where having control over the element of fire was an unambiguously good thing, and now was one of them. With a simple gesture, and a flick of his mind Kovar reduced the monstrous plants to ash. This whole thing was turning out to be far more difficult than he initially suspected it would be. Kovar recalled having more success when he worked with animals, as the huge lion that was even now faithfully following after him demonstrated. Perhaps, that was the direction he should focus his efforts.

Kovar decided to start with something small, figuring it would be easier to manipulate, and also easier to handle if there were more... unpleasant outcomes like the evil wheat. Snatching up another hare, Kovar focuses in his power. He would try and make the creature's meat as nutritious and filling as possible, focusing on strengthening those aspects of the hare. At the same time, mindful of the plant, he attempts to impose a soldierly sense of order to the creature's mind, in hopes of making it easier to command.

Trying to make super-rabbits which will hopefully be bigger and more nutritious than regular rabbits. Also, trying to make them easy to command.

Strength[+2] - To strengthen the rabbits, make them larger and more nutritious.

Divine Strategy[+2] - To make them easier to control and direct.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009

Edo smiled, the tension of the past few hours and days slowly fading as the warmth of his father's light filled him. Following on so soon from the message, the gift of the sun must be a reward for taking the right path - restoring the balance of the world and righting the wrong of the demons was to be his purpose. Edo held out a hand for Val to pull himself up - suitably magically reinforced; even Edo wasn't strong enough to lift a statue on his own - and grinned at the statue. "I'm glad you're okay. I wasn't sure that would work. Welcome back, Val!"

After helping Val to his feet, Edo turned his smile to the magical creature born of the Will. Edo wasn't entirely sure that it could understand words, but as he spoke, he tried to project his intent via petty spells in an almost hieroglyphic representation of meaning. His voice flowed with a new-found confidence, his previous despair gone.

"I am Edo, son of Valamnis the Eosian sungod." In succession, a flicker of spells, each conveying meaning as close as Edo could match it whether with light, sound, emotion or simply the shape of the spell itself. Then he indicated Val. "This is Val. He is the living statue of the first ruler of Eosia; a great warrior of justice. But you came through the intervention of the Will itself. If I can help you, I will."

Edo then sent enchanted spheres of sunlight as messages to the magisters, telling them of the threat posed by Davos and his foul kin, and sharing with them moving pictures, audio and details of related spells used by Davos.

Special messages went to the two changed magisters, and to Stavos too in the hope that he had recovered. These messages included references to the new power over the sun granted by Valamnis, and requests to help persuade the other magisters and anyone else who opposes black magic to join the discussions.

Edo had tried to do things on his own, and had met with failure and ruin. The sun showed him the way - results would come, as always, through helping and empowering others. It was time to act against the demons in their midst; time to call on the famous legions of the emperor so renowned for destroying the remnants of an earlier, unspeakable age of blood sorceries. It was time for humanity to fight back.

I'd like to chat with the living spell if we're on IRC at a similar time soon, HiKaizer. Action for this round though is setting up a meeting or forum with all interested magisters and anyone they'd like to bring (witchfinders? military leaders?) at the University to discuss the new threat. Divine Magic +2 is relevant and maybe M Charming +2 if you're feeling generous. If the magisters don't ward the room against evil, Edo will do so on arrival by causing enchanted sunlight to pour through the windows and create a glowing sigil above any creature marked by the same energies as Davos (D Magic +2 and D Sun +2).

Cacto fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 30, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Eosia, Eisos)

"Looks like he's done a runner, Civar. Tell you what though, I have an idea. This demon, and having not seen him in person I'm going to have to make some assumptions on the classical definition of the word, he's a real bastard right? Hurt people, done horrible things? This demon, this uh..."

I push onward through the statement, wracking my mind for whether or not Civar had actually given the demon a name or much of a description and come up completely blank.

"Well he's out there and he's got victims left behind here like..."

Moving almost by instinct, I follow the soft tug of the Sword to a particularly emaciated young man at the edge of the growing crowd outside the shop. I kneel in the road in front of him, leaning on the Sword as it shines opalescent in the noonday sun and begin to question him quietly.

"The man who used to run this place, he's a bad man right? He's done things, caused other people to do evil things, and hurt other people simply because he was evil and because he could. What's your name lad? You can call me Eisner Faust, and d'you know what I think? I think he shouldn't be able to get away with it, should he? Put your hand up onto my Sword here, see how it glows in the light? It's a magical sword, sworn to Justice and putting right to wrong and if you hold the image of that man in your mind and make a prayer I shall swear an Oath. Knights swear oaths don't they? Everybody knows that. I'll find the evil jerk that's hurt you and those others, give him a couple in the face, drag him back here in chains, and otherwise bring him to justice, maybe stab him a little bit if things get rough. Sound fair?"

So here's my plan:

Find a member of the crowd who has seen the demon/is a victim of his wretched, evil misdeeds and make a solemn Knightly Oath to find the culprit and put prod to buttock for Justice purposes. LLSix you can ride pillion and I'll back up the Amazing Swordicorn up the road a ways, we get a good hearty running start, hit 88 mph, and then I'll cut a path in reality straight towards the son of a bitch gangbusters style. Or Kool-Aid Man, I've heard that's also a popular choice.

D: Sacred Sword +2: Points the way to victory, lights my path, cuts a small-ish and usually (well I say usually but I've done this all of once and it seemed to be ok then and I'm not going to question a going thing if it works) self closing rent in reality between two points of travel.
D: Travel +2: So here's the point of travel, or rather the thing I've got about using uh well points of travel. I've got a pretty solid starting point here, and it's just a question of building up the momentum and force to move fast enough and hard enough to our destination which I'm still a little bit vague on. But the Sword will definitely point us in the right way, and the sometimes a journey is not exactly about knowing the physical location of the destination but the uh, spiritual and technical aspects of it. You can set out on a trip to get to the top of a mountain without knowing where the mountain is exactly or what the summit looks like right? It all starts with one step, followed by another step, and then a lot of other steps on a giant mechanical warhorse very quickly in succession while it might also be bursting into flames. For justice.
D: Justice +2: Well this part is easy. FIND CULPRIT, PUT TO JUSTICE. Gotta trust my gut on this one, I think by now I'm developing a bit of a knack.

That is to say unless you want to hang around here in town for a bit and mop up whatever demonic remnants there are about. I could go for that as well, maybe work some sort of scan/stab combo to secure the area and safeguard the people who are here now? I don't really know what's going on here, but do you know if there are any other demons in town or something?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar Kit'An (Eosia, Eosis)

I waited impatiently as Eisner yammered on about taking an oath and hunting down the bad people, yadda yadda yadda. I just wanted to put the world to right so I could get back to my search without having to worry about freaky tentacle monsters or red, 4-armed freaks trying to eat my face. Dammit, didn't anyone listen to the stories anymore? Nothing good ever happened to the people who attracted the attention of the people and things beyond this world. At best they died young and gloriously. Otherwise they were turned into giant bug monsters or statues or tiny spiders or stags in the middle of a hunt, and those were the actions of the nice gods. I wasn't sure what Eisner was planning, but he'd showed up out of the crowd when I'd thought him days away, I'd give him a chance.

Eisner was done, finally. Taking his hand I swung up behind him then helped Aideen up behind me on the Swordicorn. Laying the head of Tinker's Treasure against the flank of the metal horse I joined the powers bound in the hammer to those imbuing the mount and Eisner's Sacred Sword, tying them together into a guiding beacon greater than the sum of their parts.

D: Chasing after Arhoun with Puppies
D: Order +2 - organizing the various domains so they work together instead of competing
Tinker's Treasure +2 - it has elements of truth and justice and maybe prophecy to help find the path

If this fails, can we get taken to the Emperor? Since any random peasant is just as likely to blame the Emperor as his friendly neighborhood drug dealer for his problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Eosia, Eisos)

"Right you'll want to hold on tight, I had to get moving pretty fast before to do this and you people down there, GET OUT OF THE WAY!"

Hey I don't have a horse in this fight, so "Whatever evil bastard that a probable victim/bystander of the demon-jerk whose shop this is can keep in mind" is as good a target as any. The way I figure it, the trail's already gotten mostly cold here so might as well catch a scent from someone else.

• Locked thread