Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Colorblind Panda posted:

So yeah, give the new Hunter x Hunter a try.

I still think I prefer the original Hunter x Hunter tv and OVAs, but that is possibly just nostalgia talking. Also as you say they're finally to new stuff that hasn't been animated, so it is hard to suggest one over the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I really enjoyed reading Shamo and Ichi the killer, last time I posted here I was told to read Mad bull 34 which I loved but could only find about 30 translated chapters for. Are there any crime mangas similar to these 3?

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
I've got a rather weird request. I'm looking for an anime where a parent (or parent figure, such as a teacher) steps up to the plate to protect their child (or child figure, you get the idea), invoking their role as the parent figure in doing so, in some climactic or really tense scene. I don't really care whether or not the parent is in way over their head in doing so.

It's hard to think of any examples from what I've seen, but kinda like Hohenheim from FMA Brotherhood, or Holland toward the end of Eureka Seven, or for anyone who's read Rewrite, like the teacher near the end of Akane's route or the Kanbe parents in Kotori's route. Hell I'd be okay with something like the very last scene in Dragon Crisis, of all things.

I just really want to see a parent invoking their position and trying to do something cool/touching with it. I don't even know why.

fake edit: Actually let's generalize this to any character invoking their relationship with another character in something climactic. Boyfriend/girlfriend, parent/child, brother/sister, teacher/student, whatever.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Relambrien posted:

I just really want to see a parent invoking their position and trying to do something cool/touching with it. I don't even know why.

fake edit: Actually let's generalize this to any character invoking their relationship with another character as a reason for doing something climactic. Boyfriend/girlfriend, parent/child, brother/sister, teacher/student, whatever.

Gankutsuou should be right up your alley, and is excellent.

Phantom Memories Kurau is about a pair of sisters (sort of) but with an age difference such that the older sister acts like a parent to the younger one. Also their father figures in pretty significantly. I had issues with the pacing, but it's worth a shot.

The parents in Mawaru Penguin Drum are almost universally awful, but that aside the entire show is about different permutations of this.

I'm actually having trouble coming up with better examples because anime suffers from the Disney Orphan effect so goddamn badly.

Comedy option: One Piece is basically 600 episodes of nothing but "character invoking their relationship with another character as a reason for doing something climactic." :v:

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
Have you checked out Usagi Drop? There is both a manga and an anime, if you read the manga you should stop after the timeskip thingy.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Thanks, I'll probably check out Gankutsuou, and Penguindrum has been on my to-watch list for unrelated reasons for a while, so now I have some motivation to get it out of the way.

As for Usagi Drop, I watched the anime and loved it, and I know what happens in the manga. That said, it's not quite what I'm looking for right now. What I want isn't so much a parent being a parent, more like a superpowered MC is injured fighting a villain and dad steps in saying "I'm going to protect you because you're my goddamn son" while high-tension orchestral music reaches a climax. Or something cheesy like that :v:

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Relambrien posted:

Thanks, I'll probably check out Gankutsuou, and Penguindrum has been on my to-watch list for unrelated reasons for a while, so now I have some motivation to get it out of the way.

As for Usagi Drop, I watched the anime and loved it, and I know what happens in the manga. That said, it's not quite what I'm looking for right now. What I want isn't so much a parent being a parent, more like a superpowered MC is injured fighting a villain and dad steps in saying "I'm going to protect you because you're my goddamn son" while high-tension orchestral music reaches a climax. Or something cheesy like that :v:

Soul Eater has some of that

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
So I've been watching Kokoro Connect (throwing darts at Crunchyroll because I'm paying for a sub so why the hell not) and I like the show, I mean it's cool it's all about interpersonal relationships of Highschool students with magic thrown in by some omnipotent god figure for giggles. I enjoyed the first couple episodes but as the show goes on the whole cast got mashed over the head with a hammer off camera or something and blunder around like they're all competing to see who can be the stupidest - I mean the veiwer has some advantages when it comes to plot comprehension, but the whole cast can't be Generic Harem MC - whatever this isn't the thread for that... Anywho the first part was pretty cool - young people having relastionships and also magic so I'm hoping to find something else that's decent in that vein. I realize that's really vague, so to narrow it down...

Kokoro Connect is about a club of misfits blah blah blah power of friendship blah blah blah inseparable bond - I'm sure you know the type - but that's literally all there is to it, there is no other plot (romance subplots I guess) and it gets pretty ...annoying? Well I was getting annoyed anyway - normally when it's a Highschool setting with ~~the extraordinary~~ something gets thrown in to up the stakes and make things interesting (eg: Code Geass has a big fuckoff war, Hyouka has mysteries, Mx0 has MC aiming for the strongest magic, other examples that spring to mind are generic highschool love comedies that I'm ashamed to mention) so I have no objection if all the friendship poo poo is just a part of an overarching plot is what I'm saying. Seriously I was getting pissed when they were facing all this crazy bullshit magic and their huge concerns were exactly the same as if the bullshit magic wasn't there in the first place. Down to about every shounen ever I think?

To give some idea of my tastes, Iris Zero is probably just about the perfect example of what I'm thinking of, it's got friendship, magic, a protagonist that is really competent, and it can be dramatic even without big fight scenes and powerlevels. Sword Art Online was pretty cool, not highschool but friendship, (virtual) magic, MC that isn't pants on head... you get it. Code Geass had less friendship and more loyal henchmen I guess, but I still enjoyed the first season immensely. Higurashi had friendship, magic, and tons of murder which I'm not super keen on - but take the good with the bad. Hyouka has friendship, no magic, but still with the 'MC who can solve any problem he puts his mind to'. The World God Only Knows - this is also pretty much awesome in my opinion - magic, competent MC, friendship, dramatic but not grimdark. Mushi-Uta found this one from via the 'throwing darts at Cruncyroll' method and it was the first time I watched a show from end to end on Cruncyroll - so pretty alright in my opinon, friendship, magic, MC with godlike power at a huge price ...it's actually really depressing, but I enjoyed it despite that. Angel Beats similarly a bit sad, ending was a bit of a turn off, otherwise had friendship and magic was pretty great.

That's just what I can tick off the top of my head, I'm cool with anime or manga but I read a lot more manga than I watch anime so if it's anime it's a safe bet I haven't watched it. Prefer recent stuff - I never watched anime as a kid so the older art styles look a bit weird to me.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Your should try the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, School Rumble and Full Metal Panic Fumouffu since you said that you've only started anime recently and have only seen the newer stuff. Those 3 are arguably the must see highchool romantic comedies.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, this might be a long shot, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good romantic (dark, slice of life- poo poo, I'll go for ecchi in a pinch) anime that has really sappy, happy endings? I'm talking shouted declarations of love, happy smiles all around, tears of joy, deep kisses only broken when they come up for breath, hugging, soaring music, cherry blossom petals every-loving-where, "And they lived happily ever after", the WORKS. Again, genre or even level of fanservice doesn't matter, and hell, neither does the orientation of the characters. Just an awesome love story with a gloriously happy ending.

Bonus points if it has metal as a soundtrack, but that's less 'recommend me an anime' and more 'if I won all the lotteries, this is the anime I'd make'.

This was three days ago now, but whatever, I just thought of something. Spoilered because it having a happy ending is kinda a spoiler.

Ef: A tale of memories might work for you.

SomniumObmutum
Jul 23, 2007

The more smug foxes the better I always say.
So I've been in the mood for some balls to the wall crazy action. I finished Gurren Lagann about an hour ago, and watching that was inspired by watching the new Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and wanting more stuff in the same vein. I've had G Gundam and Redline recommended to me, and I wanted to get some ideas from another source. Hunter X Hunter is sounding like its probably going to be a thing I'll enjoy from reading what people were saying about it on the past few pages, what else can I watch that will make my jaw drop and my fist pump into the air while cheering?

ETA: I'm not really into blood and gore for the sake of blood and gore but its not completely out of the question if the associated stuff is awesome, if that helps, but what I'm really after is just over the top ridiculousness with likable characters and a generally fun vibe even if there is character death and pathos at times.

SomniumObmutum fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 23, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first thing that came to mind was Baccano!.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Sinking Ship posted:

friendship, magic, a protagonist that is really competent, and it can be dramatic even without big fight scenes and powerlevels.

Madoka Magica, though it may be a touch on the dark and dramatic side for you. It's a lot closer to Higurashi than it is to TWGOK, that's for sure.

On the lighter side, you can try A Certain Magical Index and/or A Certain Scientific Railgun. I suggest Railgun, but your mileage may vary. Also, Shakugan no Shana.

SomniumObmutum posted:

what I'm really after is just over the top ridiculousness with likable characters and a generally fun vibe even if there is character death and pathos at times.

Have you seen Code Geass or Star Driver?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

SomniumObmutum posted:

So I've been in the mood for some balls to the wall crazy action. I finished Gurren Lagann about an hour ago, and watching that was inspired by watching the new Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and wanting more stuff in the same vein. I've had G Gundam and Redline recommended to me, and I wanted to get some ideas from another source. Hunter X Hunter is sounding like its probably going to be a thing I'll enjoy from reading what people were saying about it on the past few pages, what else can I watch that will make my jaw drop and my fist pump into the air while cheering?

ETA: I'm not really into blood and gore for the sake of blood and gore but its not completely out of the question if the associated stuff is awesome, if that helps, but what I'm really after is just over the top ridiculousness with likable characters and a generally fun vibe even if there is character death and pathos at times.
Seconding Baccano! and Star Driver and adding in Baccano's spiritual sequel Durarara!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SomniumObmutum posted:

The Getter Robo OVAs are perfect if you want more stuff in the same vein as TTGL. New Getter Robo in particular is a good starting spot. Getter Robo Armageddon has the craziest action though it doesn't really introduce the characters which is why it's best to watch New first (even though they're two different continuities). Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo should be watched because it's only 4 episodes and has Texas Mack, who has too much high power man.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Please watch Dirty Pair instead of those other shows.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

SomniumObmutum posted:

So I've been in the mood for some balls to the wall crazy action. I finished Gurren Lagann about an hour ago, and watching that was inspired by watching the new Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and wanting more stuff in the same vein.

Gunbuster and Diebuster. Like TTGL, they're also made by Gainax and you will surely notice that there are similarities in their approaches.

I'd say the Giant Robo OVA also fits what you're asking for.

And yes, basically seconding (or Nth-ing) what has already been recommended above.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Please don't watch star driver it really tries as hard as possible in the end to kill retroactively any enjoyment the preceding episodes might have had for you.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If you want interpersonal relationships kicked up a notch because of something extraordinary happening, check out AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day. I can't check from here, but as far as I know Crunchyroll is still streaming it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have a somewhat easy to understand request, which is kinda what I was posting on another thread. I want to read/watch something where the protagonist is (whether implicitly or out in the open) told how much he sucks, or how he himself realizes that he sucks/he's an horrible person... and then he decides to grow up. "No loving excuses, boyardee, you suck rear end; you need to be whipped into some drat shape".

I don't really mind if it's fantastic or down to earth. Just... something that screams "DO SOMETHING".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SomniumObmutum posted:

Dead Leaves is an hour of solid over-the-top entertainment. Also whoever recommended Redline is correct, though you want to get the blu-ray version if you can. It's worth it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SomniumObmutum posted:

It's a movie, rather than a series, but you should check out Sword of the Stranger.
Trailer (in English):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iI31EKaLZE
It's not crazy and over the top like Gurren Lagann, but the action is pretty incredible regardless.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 24, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've been told I had a weird start to anime.

My first ever anime was the movie Redline. The style was really cool, but the story was meh.

I then proceded to watch Akira (HOLY gently caress), the Iron Man anime (does this count, I'm not sure), the first 2 Eva movies (umm, it was cool, I think, but really weird) Spirited Away (decent overall), and GITS (the original version; amazing, but short).

More recently I've watched Jormungand (it had potential but was always subpar), Gurren Lagaan (HOLY gently caress ^ HOLY gently caress), Black Lagoon (drat good, but I felt like it never really got anywhere).

I watched Cowboy Bebop only this weekend, and it really did not meet expectations. It was well done with great characters and action, but the overarching story lacked consistency between seasons and I found much of the second season to be boring. The ending also didn't meet my overblown expectation. It felt shallow and sensationalized.

Right after that, I watched Steins;Gate, and holy gently caress was I glad I did. It had a brilliant plot supported by the perfect rate of progression and an intertwined drama. Not only was each character interesting and exceptionally well defined, but their progression throughout the show in accordance to the various events was exactly what you would expect from their individual personalities.

The last anime I've watched was The Melancholy of of Haruhi Suzumiya, which felt like a more lighthearted version of Steins;Gate that focused more on the characters' interactions.

Now why have I posted all of this? Because I have no idea what to watch next. I'd like to stay away from actiony stuff (since much of what I've watched has been that) and much of the stuff that I've watched so far was at the suggestion of a friend of mine. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I'd prefer something with a good story, but suggestions?

E: I forgot to add Nichijou in there.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 24, 2013

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I have a somewhat easy to understand request, which is kinda what I was posting on another thread. I want to read/watch something where the protagonist is (whether implicitly or out in the open) told how much he sucks, or how he himself realizes that he sucks/he's an horrible person... and then he decides to grow up. "No loving excuses, boyardee, you suck rear end; you need to be whipped into some drat shape".

I don't really mind if it's fantastic or down to earth. Just... something that screams "DO SOMETHING".

Try reading Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa. Here is my lovely endorsement of it from my FKMT thread

quote:

The Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa

A samurai! They should've all disappeared in the late 19th century... But there was stil one samurai who managed to survive... and he's right here! Right here in 21st century Tokyo!

Kurosawa is 45 years old and has been doing the same thing for the past 25 years; working as a construction worker. He has no wife, no kids, no family. No friends. If he were to die tomorrow no one would care, and things are looking like none of this will change. He is going to die alone with nothing to show for it, never having made a single impact on the world. Well, Kurosawa decides he can't let this happen, he has to do something. He has to make friends, he has to find a wife, he has to have some kids. Just something, anything. Hell, even maybe just a little respect. And that what The Legend of the Strongest man Kurosawa is about. However, his strength isn't just the power provided by his big, burly body, though that's a part of it. There is another quality that Kurosawa possesses that makes him so strong. Unlike a majority of Fukumoto's works since Ten, Kurosawa doesn't involve any gambling.

Kurosawa is Fukumoto's best work. Probably one of the best manga of the last decade. There is something really special about that you won't be able to understand just by seeing a few panels. Behind Fukumoto's wierd art and goofy humor, there is a very serious story. Do yourself a favor and read this.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wark Say posted:

This is one of those things that can be hard to recommend, since the protagonist deciding to improve himself can be a spoiler. Either way, you should really read Onani Master Kurosawa (trust me). Molester Man too.

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Me and my roommate have been watching anime series together for a bit, trading off who gets what we pick to watch. My turn is coming up, and I wanted to go for a more series action series, preferably with some drama. I was looking over what Hulu had to offer, and I noticed that Guyver was available. I have heard of it, but I was wondering whether it's a good show or not.

Additionally, my roommate has taken a real shine to slice of life shows like Azumanga Daioh and K-on, and he asked me to ask you what other shows like those are out there. Thank you in advance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

My first ever anime was the movie Redline. The style was really cool, but the story was meh.

I then proceded to watch Akira (HOLY gently caress), the Iron Man anime (does this count, I'm not sure), the first 2 Eva movies (umm, it was cool, I think, but really weird) Spirited Away (decent overall), and GITS (the original version; amazing, but short).

More recently I've watched Jormungand (it had potential but was always subpar), Gurren Lagaan (HOLY gently caress ^ HOLY gently caress), Black Lagoon (drat good, but I felt like it never really got anywhere).

I watched Cowboy Bebop only this weekend, and it really did not meet expectations. It was well done with great characters and action, but the overarching story lacked consistency between seasons and I found much of the second season to be boring. The ending also didn't meet my overblown expectation. It felt shallow and sensationalized.

Right after that, I watched Steins;Gate, and holy gently caress was I glad I did. It had a brilliant plot supported by the perfect rate of progression and an intertwined drama. Not only was each character interesting and exceptionally well defined, but their progression throughout the show in accordance to the various events was exactly what you would expect from their individual personalities.

The last anime I've watched was The Melancholy of of Haruhi Suzumiya, which felt like a more lighthearted version of Steins;Gate that focused more on the characters' interactions.

Now why have I posted all of this? Because I have no idea what to watch next. I'd like to stay away from actiony stuff (since much of what I've watched has been that) and much of the stuff that I've watched so far was at the suggestion of a friend of mine. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I'd prefer something with a good story, but suggestions?

If you want something Nichijou-like (Bertilak, give Nichijou a try with your friend, they might like it), albeit a shade more grounded in reality, give Azumanga Daioh a look (the manga's a good fun read too if you can get the chunky omnibus edition). If you enjoyed Ghost in the Shell, give the series (GitS: Stand Alone Complex) a try; There's two full seasons and a movie, and they're pretty decent overall. For something more outlandish, FLCL is a good place to start - it's six-episode OVA and widely considered a classic.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bertilak posted:

Additionally, my roommate has taken a real shine to slice of life shows like Azumanga Daioh and K-on, and he asked me to ask you what other shows like those are out there. Thank you in advance.

For a comedic slice of life show, I'd recommend Shinryaku! Ika Musume (Squid Girl). There's something about Ika Musume's naivety that makes everything work really well.

I'd also recommend Minami-ke. The first season is good, the second (Okawari) is bad, and the third (Okaeri) was alright, but not as good as the first. From what I've seen, the most recent (Tadaima) has elicited some mixed reviews, but I found it to be better than the third season.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ViggyNash posted:

You should probably follow the thread title's suggestion.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ViggyNash posted:

Stuff I recommend to everyone:

Time of Eve - 6 episode series that focuses on the relationships between humans and androids with reference to Asimov's laws of robotics. It has snappy dialogue, nice animation, and a touching story.
Tatami Galaxy - Riotous art style matched to a continuous monologue tells a story with time and space weirdness.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Probably the best anime ever made, in my opinion. I haven't really recovered enough from watching it last year to stop comparing other animes to it (and finding they fall short).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ViggyNash posted:

How about Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood? FMA is one of the defining story-driven series of anime in the past decade.

Also, the reason why you sensed inconsistency between seasons of Cowboy Bebop is because 1) its supposed to be episodic and 2) it actually is two seasons jammed into one and mixed around.

The first airing of Cowboy Bebop on TV had to be edited due to censorship laws, so the season was cobbled together with the least violent episodes, centered around the Jupiter Jazz two part story. Afterwards they were able to show the full series, with the stories and episodes from the first showing put into their proper place (w.r.t. the in-story timeline), but you can tell the difference between first season acceptable episodes and full season episodes.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

1) This might be vague, but I would like to watch/read anything about characters having an adventure/traveling. It could be a grand quest, aimless wandering, just showing up when needed, or just having a "home base" of sorts and being deployed to new places. If there's action, awesome, but I don't mind a chill anime either: Mushi-Shi and Kino's Journey are some of my favorite shows ever.

I can't seem to stick with One Piece and I don't know why. I haven't watched the anime in years, and I haven't read the manga very far at all (not to Arlong Park like someone said earlier).

2) Any anime where monsters/supernatural companions/living weapons/familiars etc. do battle with or under the command of human controllers. This is stemming from a childhood love of Pokemon/Digimon/Monster Rancher, so my standards are ridiculously low for this. I just like seeing different sorts of monsters. Anime I've seen even vaguely related to this already: Onmyou Taisenki, Natsume's Book of Friends (not monster battling, but there's lots of spirits), Blue Dragon, the anime adaptation of Persona 4, Medabots, Shaman King, I'm sure there's more. I have not seen Narutaru, but from what I hear it's a bit too hosed up for me to enjoy.

TenWren fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 24, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, this might be a long shot, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good romantic (dark, slice of life- poo poo, I'll go for ecchi in a pinch) anime that has really sappy, happy endings? I'm talking shouted declarations of love, happy smiles all around, tears of joy, deep kisses only broken when they come up for breath, hugging, soaring music, cherry blossom petals every-loving-where, "And they lived happily ever after", the WORKS. Again, genre or even level of fanservice doesn't matter, and hell, neither does the orientation of the characters. Just an awesome love story with a gloriously happy ending.

Bonus points if it has metal as a soundtrack, but that's less 'recommend me an anime' and more 'if I won all the lotteries, this is the anime I'd make'.

The Revolutionary Girl Utena movie (not the TV series, there's no kissing there, though it's still awesome). No metal sadly, but the soundtrack is amazing anyway.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Saturday Mornings posted:

2) Any anime where monsters/supernatural companions/living weapons/familiars etc. do battle with or under the command of human controllers. This is stemming from a childhood love of Pokemon/Digimon/Monster Rancher, so my standards are ridiculously low for this. I just like seeing different sorts of monsters. Anime I've seen even vaguely related to this already: Onmyou Taisenki, Natsume's Book of Friends (not monster battling, but there's lots of spirits), Blue Dragon, Medabots, Shaman King, I'm sure there's more. I have not seen Narutaru, but from what I hear it's a bit too hosed up for me to enjoy.

Going to toss Zatch Bell out there. The characters who do battle are basically little demon puppets with various unique powers instead of monsters, but they get teamed up with human partners. It's funny and pretty well written for what it is, although the artwork can take some adjusting to. I never finished the anime, but the manga had a solid ending.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

2) Any anime where monsters/supernatural companions/living weapons/familiars etc. do battle with or under the command of human controllers. This is stemming from a childhood love of Pokemon/Digimon/Monster Rancher, so my standards are ridiculously low for this. I just like seeing different sorts of monsters. Anime I've seen even vaguely related to this already: Onmyou Taisenki, Natsume's Book of Friends (not monster battling, but there's lots of spirits), Blue Dragon, the anime adaptation of Persona 4, Medabots, Shaman King, I'm sure there's more. I have not seen Narutaru, but from what I hear it's a bit too hosed up for me to enjoy.

Fate/Zero.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dragon Drive is a show I remember existing. Wikipedia gives this summary.

quote:

Dragon Drive follows lazy junior high school student Reiji Ozora who routinely gives up on everything he starts and is terrible at his school work. Tired of seeing him give up at everything and continue to perform so poorly at school, his childhood friend Maiko Yukino shows Reiji the virtual reality game called Dragon-Drive. It is a fighting game in which players and their dragon partners face off within a virtual reality city. Reiji's general lazy personality and lackluster school performances lead him to gain a seemingly equally lazy small dragon whom he calls Chibi. Only later do both of their true strengths show as Chibi, despite being small and sleeping in his first appearance, turns out to be the rarest dragon in the game, a discovery which leads Reiji and his friends to another world called Rikyu.

Also, have you seen every season of Digimon?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want something Nichijou-like (Bertilak, give Nichijou a try with your friend, they might like it), albeit a shade more grounded in reality, give Azumanga Daioh a look (the manga's a good fun read too if you can get the chunky omnibus edition). If you enjoyed Ghost in the Shell, give the series (GitS: Stand Alone Complex) a try; There's two full seasons and a movie, and they're pretty decent overall. For something more outlandish, FLCL is a good place to start - it's six-episode OVA and widely considered a classic.

Oh, FLCL. I forgot I watched that too. Probably the best animation I've seen so far, but I just couldn't deal with the story. I agree though, it is definitely a classic. Were the animators as high/drunk as the guys who made PSG?

Ill probably try GITS:SAC soon, but I wanted to lay off on the actiony stuff for a while. Or is it a more story based show?

Chas McGill posted:

Stuff I recommend to everyone:

Time of Eve - 6 episode series that focuses on the relationships between humans and androids with reference to Asimov's laws of robotics. It has snappy dialogue, nice animation, and a touching story.
Tatami Galaxy - Riotous art style matched to a continuous monologue tells a story with time and space weirdness.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Probably the best anime ever made, in my opinion. I haven't really recovered enough from watching it last year to stop comparing other animes to it (and finding they fall short).

I saw Time of Eve on the wiki, but I wasn't sure if I would enjoy that. I should probably try it before I push it off though.
Also, having just come off of Steins;Gate and MHS, I REALLY want to stay away from time fuckery for a bit, so I'll pass on Tatami Galaxy for now.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

ViggyNash posted:

I REALLY want to stay away from time fuckery for a bit, so I'll pass on Tatami Galaxy for now.

It's just a groundhog day style story. Nothing particularly off the wall about it. I highly recommend you watch it whenever you can.

SomniumObmutum
Jul 23, 2007

The more smug foxes the better I always say.
Thanks for the ideas guys, Baccano! is probably going to be number one on my list because it takes place during one of my favorite story telling periods, Prohibition! Also I guess Legend of the Galactic Heroes is good? I honestly can't tell if its a giant running gag or if its a legitimate thing I should watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

SomniumObmutum posted:

Thanks for the ideas guys, Baccano! is probably going to be number one on my list because it takes place during one of my favorite story telling periods, Prohibition! Also I guess Legend of the Galactic Heroes is good? I honestly can't tell if its a giant running gag or if its a legitimate thing I should watch.

It's legitimately the best anime. And you should really watch it. It's a long running recommendation because it's that good.

• Locked thread