Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

The MSJ posted:

You should really watch the movie Oblivion. It has many things in common with Mass Effect. There's the art direction, which I am sure was inspired by the same things as Mass Effect, and its juxtaposition of sterile futuristic settings and a grungy post-apocalyptic world reminds me of the places you go to in ME2 and ME3. Actually, some part of the plot is really similar to Mass Effect: the Earth is being harvested by a gigantic sentient AI space station that has done this to other planets before, using an army of modified humans and spherical flying drones (which make sounds that reminds me of the Reapers). The protagonist is assisted by someone who was in a stasis pod for a long time, fights his own clone, and it even ends with him talking with the AI for a bit before blowing it up with the help of an elderly black soldier.

Thank god I'm not the only one that thought the movie reminded me of Mass Effect. Also I think it had some influence from a british film called Moon (which I highly recommend).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So I was pretty sure I would be using the mattock all game but I just found the revenant and it's drat fun. Are there any automatic ARs more powerful than it? I was thinking of grabbing the inciendary ammo power that has a chance to trigger a 100 damage explosion per bullet which would just be insane.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Bob NewSCART posted:

So I was pretty sure I would be using the mattock all game but I just found the revenant and it's drat fun. Are there any automatic ARs more powerful than it? I was thinking of grabbing the inciendary ammo power that has a chance to trigger a 100 damage explosion per bullet which would just be insane.

The Typhoon, Cerberus Harrier, and Lancer, for the most part.
Also, for maximum incendiary ammo hilarity, give the Prothean Particle Rifle a shot :I

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

I believe it's the strongest one in the game; the only other fully automatic rifles, I think, are the avenger (which suuuucks) and the Geth Plasma rifle, which you can only get on hardcore mode and I hear isn't that good either.

I wanted to like the Revenant more, because it's clearly an amazingly powerful gun, but I just can't stand the look and feel of it. The design and the color scheme make it look a nerf gun or a super soaker or something, and I don't like trying to fire it at longer distances. I know how to do it, I just don't like it much, it doesn't feel right. I usually end up using the Mattock or the Vindicator, which feel more like proper guns.

edit: whoops, wrong game

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wanted to like the Revenant more, because it's clearly an amazingly powerful gun, but I just can't stand the look and feel of it. The design and the color scheme make it look a nerf gun or a super soaker or something

I know they basically look like toy guns, but I've always been a sucker for the red guns in ME1, especially the pistols :allears:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Burning Mustache posted:

I know they basically look like toy guns, but I've always been a sucker for the red guns in ME1, especially the pistols :allears:

I will purposely avoid installing a mod on a gun in ME3 if it turns it red. I mean why not just give me pink armor for god's sake :mad:

not that there isn't precedent for that (or that it isn't hilarious to do to Wrex)

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It seems that the Priority: Citadel mission nulled a whole a bunch of side missions for me. :negative:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

forever gold posted:

It seems that the Priority: Citadel mission nulled a whole a bunch of side missions for me. :negative:
Anything "Priority" is a story mission. Make sure to finish all side missions before you do those. Sorry, man.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Burning Mustache posted:

The Typhoon, Cerberus Harrier, and Lancer, for the most part.
Also, for maximum incendiary ammo hilarity, give the Prothean Particle Rifle a shot :I

You neglect to mention that those are all DLC assault rifles. The vanilla ones are pretty mediocre, with the Revenant being the top of the pile.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, the hilarious thing about the mission structure is that you should make sure you do all available non-priority missions before doing Priority marked ones.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
A lot of N7 missions work on timers too. Some of them might have gone away after you did x amount of other missions.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TheLoser posted:

A lot of N7 missions work on timers too. Some of them might have gone away after you did x amount of other missions.

I'm pretty sure that it's only doing priority missions that makes side missions go away...

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's only doing priority missions that makes side missions go away...
There are two "timed" side missions:
Grissom Academy: Emergency Evacuation - Will fail after 3 missions
Tuchanka: Bomb - Will fail after 3 missions

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

There are two "timed" side missions:
Grissom Academy: Emergency Evacuation - Will fail after 3 missions
Tuchanka: Bomb - Will fail after 3 missions

I wasn't aware of that. Are there even enough non-priority missions available to do 3 of them and run out of time though?

I think if you follow the general "do every mission as soon as it becomes available, and before doing any 'priority' mission" rule of thumb you'll be fine...or just make a note of the above two exceptions I suppose.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wasn't aware of that. Are there even enough non-priority missions available to do 3 of them and run out of time though?
You basically have to purposefully miss them.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Crows Turn Off posted:

You basically have to purposefully miss them.

Or do all the Tuchanka missions except the timed one (but be completely unaware that it is in fact timed), and decide that you're so loving tired of fighting Cerberus on a desert planet that you just want to leave and come back later.

That wouldn't do, so I quit for the night and replayed Tuchanka the next day from my last save. I killed a lot of Cerberus guys. :sigh:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

UnknownMercenary posted:

You neglect to mention that those are all DLC assault rifles. The vanilla ones are pretty mediocre, with the Revenant being the top of the pile.

Yeah, that's a really good point. I suppose I was basing that list on the performance of MP guns (which, as of the latest update should perform equally in SP mode, but not all of the guns are available for free, unlike in MP). I've only played through ME3 SP proper once, back when it was released, so I guess I should shut up about it :I

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Burning Mustache posted:

Yeah, that's a really good point. I suppose I was basing that list on the performance of MP guns (which, as of the latest update should perform equally in SP mode, but not all of the guns are available for free, unlike in MP). I've only played through ME3 SP proper once, back when it was released, so I guess I should shut up about it :I

The post is probably lost in the BSN abyss now, but I got a response from one of the developers who told me that for all of the gun DLCs, they just pulled the stats from whenever they packed it together.

Somebody did a handy list of all the MP changes that got ported to SP. I can also confirm that Geth Prime drones also fire Incinerate at you, although all it does is kill your shields instead of continuously stunlock you.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I really can't imagine playing a vanilla ME3 (bought the Collectors Edition). Just having the N7 guns is a huge help if you don't have access to any of the gun DLC's, and for the most part they're all upgrades compared to the vanilla guns (except for the stupid Eagle).

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Finally got around to this game after getting it on sale. I don't think I've ever played a game this broken. Over the course of ten hours, I've had to edit my save file to fix a mission, gotten stuck in the ground after a conversation, gone flying in the air to fall to my death after climbing a ladder, jumped over cover only to slide into a teammate and get stuck, and more. Save often, folks.

And that's just game-breaking bugs I've run into. I've also run into dozens of little bugs. I've appeared all over after conversations. My favorite was when Shepard ended up standing on top of someone in a hospital bed, then just floated around all the sick people for a few minutes.

I wish Bioware had thought of casual fans of the series and given us little story reminders. It's been years since I've even thought about Mass Effect. I don't remember who the Asari arkhat-rashi or whatever are, and I don't care enough to look it up. Just give me one line to explain who these people are.

Combat is also extremely easy as a Vanguard, even without using anything buy charge, punch, and sometimes nova. Guess I'll turn the difficulty up when I play again today. The combat is actually kind of fun. I just wish there weren't six "walk around the Citadel" missions for every combat mission.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Man, I just wanna vent here a little bit. ME1 trophies are so loving grindy.

It doesn't help that I learned the hard way that you have to use all the powers yourself to earn the trophy. I did them on the xbox and was able to use my partners powers to get the achievement. And some of those powers require targeting enemies, so you can't sit there and throw AI hacking in a corner 75 times.

But nope. gotta finish this hardcore playthrough, do an engineer playthrough for a couple of hours, then start and finish an insanity playthrough.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Man, I just wanna vent here a little bit. ME1 trophies are so loving grindy.

It doesn't help that I learned the hard way that you have to use all the powers yourself to earn the trophy. I did them on the xbox and was able to use my partners powers to get the achievement. And some of those powers require targeting enemies, so you can't sit there and throw AI hacking in a corner 75 times.

But nope. gotta finish this hardcore playthrough, do an engineer playthrough for a couple of hours, then start and finish an insanity playthrough.

You must be remembering ME2 on the Xbox and not ME1 as on the Xbox you had to do ability achievements with Shepard alone. I know it was annoying but I found a few grind-able spots to do a few of the Engineer ones. Namely get a level 6 Shepard to the Fist fight without using any talent points. Then create a separate save for AI hacking and put all points in there load and hit the turrets repeatedly then load again and again. The game records it regardless if you save afterwards which makes it go much faster.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Unclouded posted:

You must be remembering ME2 on the Xbox and not ME1 as on the Xbox you had to do ability achievements with Shepard alone. I know it was annoying but I found a few grind-able spots to do a few of the Engineer ones. Namely get a level 6 Shepard to the Fist fight without using any talent points. Then create a separate save for AI hacking and put all points in there load and hit the turrets repeatedly then load again and again. The game records it regardless if you save afterwards which makes it go much faster.

It's possible they patched it out somehow. I could have sworn I did the ability ones using partners in the Xbox one in the first month it was out.

In me2 and 3 I could still use my partner to get overload and warp.

Anyways, me1 is still stupid grindy. The ally trophies are annoying too, so you have to do 3 playthroughs and you can't rush through the game, you have to do a lot of stuff.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
What does it matter? It's not like it will be the end of the world because you don't have all some bunch of stupid trophies, is it? Just don't bother with it.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
The attacks that need to target an enemy can be used on the fast transit terminals on the citadel or on the mako.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So is this game worth getting for $20? I enjoyed ME1 and ME2 but the ending was awful. Are the new endings still a free DLC if I buy it from Amazon, and did it fix most people's complaints with the story?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Definitely for $20 if you enjoyed the first two. There are a lot of callbacks. The EC didn't really "fix" anything, but did elaborate enough that it went from "this is loving terrible" to "meh."

edit: and yes, the EC is still free

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

You can use powers on the Mako.

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...
Am I the only one that tries to never use human allies? They're just so boring. Does that make me racist?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I sometimes forget that there are human allies.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Miranda is just to good in ME2, but in ME3 I never used Ash/Vega

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

professor muthafukkah posted:

Am I the only one that tries to never use human allies? They're just so boring. Does that make me racist?

Kaidan was boring, Ashley was grating (and probably not getting picked this playthrough either), Jacob was also boring so I got him killed in ME2 and forgot he even existed... I never liked Miranda for her personality or the fact that her rear end was in my face all the time. I tried my damnedest to off her during the Suicide Mission, but it doesn't actually seem possible.

But I liked Vega - he was a staple of my ME3 crew. Still, in a big universe and a squad of hilarious frog doctors, adorable lizard guys, blue ladies and ladies in space suits, giant murder rhino-tanks and robots with a thousand minds each, I wouldn't blame anyone in the least for skipping over the human allies.

ME2 for me was all Mordin/Legion, all the time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

morcant posted:

I tried my damnedest to off her during the Suicide Mission, but it doesn't actually seem possible.

It doesn't help you now, but sending her into the vents or using her as a biotic barrier in the seeker swarm section would have done it, I think.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

It doesn't help you now, but sending her into the vents or using her as a biotic barrier in the seeker swarm section would have done it, I think.

I sent Jacob into the vents instead and that's what got him killed, but I'll try with Miranda when I get back there on this playthrough.

I picked her for the biotic barrier for that reason, but all it did was get Legion carried off by bugs. :( I wasn't having any of that, though, so I reloaded and took Jack instead. My friends gave me poo poo for it, but I bet they'd have done the same if it'd been Garrus. (And so would I.)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sentinel Red posted:

What does it matter? It's not like it will be the end of the world because you don't have all some bunch of stupid trophies, is it? Just don't bother with it.

The ME1 trophies are the only ones which give you in-game bonuses for achieving them, which isn't all bad. I agree the playthrough ones with all 6 companions are just rude, though.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Literally the Only Way to kill Miranda is to have her be disloyal and bring her to fight the final boss. She will survive anything else.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Chexoid posted:

Literally the Only Way to kill Miranda is to have her be disloyal and bring her to fight the final boss. She will survive anything else.

I dunno about that - she's disloyal in most of my playthroughs, I never take her along to the final boss, and she dies more often than pretty much anyone else across my playthroughs.

On my last ME3 playthrough, when Ashley asked for permission to rejoin the Normandy, I said no, because that's what you get for doubting Shepard back on Horizon during ME2. So it turns out that pretty much takes her out of the game - she doesn't show up when you check in with your allies at the end, she doesn't show up on on comlink even. And so it turns out she's not available for the combat simulator in Citadel, and now I don't think I can do the all-Alliance challenge. :argh:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

You can run the simulator with only 1 teammate, did you try that?

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Chilly McFreeze posted:

You can run the simulator with only 1 teammate, did you try that?

I hadn't thought of that - I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...

jackofarcades posted:

Miranda is just to good in ME2, but in ME3 I never used Ash/Vega

Yes, this. I have been playing through the trilogy and just reached ME3. During ME2 I could maybe justify using Miranda, but... Vega?? Useless.

• Locked thread