Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

VDay posted:

The endings in later games get pretty drat stupid too. Stuff like nonsensical cliffhangers and twists you couldn't have possibly seen coming kind of ruined the story completely for me. The gameplay's still fun as hell though so at least 2 and Brotherhood are worth checking out and playing.

Emphasis on later. I thought the ending to AC2 was brilliant and the best of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Desmond? ...Who's this "Desmond" you speak of?

edit: It's obtuse as hell but I know some goon somewhere would get pissed at that.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 21, 2013

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

In my mind the ending to rear end Creed 3 will never be as bad as Mass Effect 3 because AC3 never pretended to give you a choice.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lord Lambeth posted:

In my mind the ending to rear end Creed 3 will never be as bad as Mass Effect 3 because AC3 never pretended to give you a choice.

I actually was fine with the ending to ME3 (especially post-extended cut), but I'll back out now before I start that whole flame war up again.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I knew some people who were fine with the ending even pre-patch and I thought the consensus was that with the free and paid DLC the ending is basically fixed. v:shobon:v

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I wouldn't say fixed. It's still extremely lacklustre but it isn't awful like it was before.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to pick out a keyboard, mainly for gaming but also light typing. I'm mainly concerned with the type of switches I should get. Browns sound like the natural choice but I'm still concerned that they won't be comfortable. The Frys near me doesn't have kiosks with mechanical keyboards. The specific keyboards I'm looking at are Das keyboards and the Steelseries 6gv2. I'm open to other brands and people's experiences though.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Yesterday my girlfriend asked me if I could buy The Sims 3 for her to play on our Mac. I had a look on EA's website and saw that the game costs AUD80 which, to me, seems insanely high for a game that's been out for years and has had a billion expansion packs released.

I had a look at some online stores (ebay, ozgameshop) and saw that the average price for a physical copy of the game is AUD25 but a lot of the listings I looked at mentioned that they were selling 'import copies' of the game and that they may not work with expansion packs.

Would it be better to pay the crazy price to get the game directly from EA or is there some way to buy a physical copy of the game that isn't going to be a pirated copy / weird import version?

Sorry for the dumb questions; I haven't bought a PC (or Mac) game in maybe 15 years and, while I baulk at paying nearly a hundred dollars for a game, I also don't want to buy a product that won't work and then have to buy the expensive version anyway.

edit - looking at EB Games website shows they sell the game for AUD30, that should be a reasonably reputable place to get it from, yeah?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm trying to pick out a keyboard, mainly for gaming but also light typing. I'm mainly concerned with the type of switches I should get. Browns sound like the natural choice but I'm still concerned that they won't be comfortable. The Frys near me doesn't have kiosks with mechanical keyboards. The specific keyboards I'm looking at are Das keyboards and the Steelseries 6gv2. I'm open to other brands and people's experiences though.

All reviews on Gigabyte's mechanical keyboards are really good: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4179#ov this one has either Red or Brown switches. I'm personally going for this one next month since it covers my needs: red cherry switches, USB 2.0 port, USB 3.0 port, audio/mic port and reliable cords. It's kinda expensive (110€ in spain) but I already paid 86€ for my G15 in 2007 and I gave it quite a beat and is still working so if this one is just as good, will be money well spent.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I recently got a 6gv2, I'm happy with it. My only complaint is that there is no left windows button as that is replaced with a proprietary steelseries button that isn't good for anything besides controlling the media key functions. I didn't like the spacebar initially as I found it had a sharp edge but that was very easy to fix by just popping the spacebar off and turning it upside down.

It's also the heaviest and most solidly built keyboard I've ever had, you could probably beat someone to death with it and it wouldn't break.

The Cherry MX Blacks felt a little heavy for the first week I had them but I don't even notice them now and I think they're great, but then again I don't do any heavy typing at all - this forum post is probably the longest thing I've typed all week.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I switched from cherry reds to brown and prefer the browns. Gaming is somewhat better, but coding is vastly better on the browns so for typing they seem a good match. My particular keyboard is the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid and I really like it. Unlike the pictures of the silly looking older models the keyboard I got (and I think all the stock out there is like this now) is completely plain. Not a single logo anywhere on it so it looks like those much more expensive custom keyboards.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Out of curiosity, are there any mechanical keyboards out there that aren't ridiculously overpriced 1337 GAMING PR0 GEAR stuff like DasKeyboard?
Like, in a ~30-50$ price range, tops? Bonus points for volume control buttons.

I've been using run of the mill, $10 rubber dome keyboards for years but I have to replace them every now and then, usually because the W key starts to break one way or another so I might look into purchasing one, but I'm not going to spend a hundred bucks on what is essentially an old IBM keyboard someone removed the key decals from.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Burning Mustache posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any mechanical keyboards out there that aren't ridiculously overpriced 1337 GAMING PR0 GEAR stuff like DasKeyboard?

Funny that you say that--most mechanical keyboards tend to be more on the utilitarian, minimalistic side, and it's only relatively recently that it's been adopted on a larger scale where "gaming-grade" features get tacked on. Keyboards made by Filco and Leopold, probably the two most popular mechanical keyboard manufacturers, are very standard 104-key affairs (or 87-key for the "tenkeyless" variants) with no macro keys or backlit keys or any other extraneous features.

Unfortunately, the individual mechanical switches are going to drive the price way up compared to cheap membrane keyboards. I think the cheapest you can do, barring any special sales, is either Rosewill or CM Storm. For some reason the price varies wildly by the switch, but the cheapest I see right now is a Rosewill with Cherry red switches for $70: http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-RK-9000RE/dp/B005QW1UBU

That said, you should definitely look into the different switch types. Reds and blacks might feel too mushy, and blues might be too noisy. Browns are a decent middle ground, but a bit of research can save you some return/refund headaches.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Burning Mustache posted:

You're probably better off with those $10 Logitechs. Most people putting the money on a model M replica don't do it because it's cheaper than destroying ten Dells, but because they want the clack-clack or otherwise give enough of a crap about typing to throw money at the issue.

Or because they're very misguided nerd hipsters who need blank keycaps to express themselves. Either way, prime gouging material.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
That's mostly true, except those cheap rear end keyboards have some kind of limit that only lets you press 2-3 keys at a time. I learned this the hard way trying to play Binding of Isaac on a cheap MS keyboard. Move in two directions and shoot? Not gonna happen.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What makes Das a 1337 gaming pro gear kind of company? Their stuff seems way more tasteful than, say, razer, and they don't even push the gaming angle up front on their website. The first thing that pops up is focused on typing.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

Burning Mustache posted:

The cheapest I've seen are $70-80 like the Rosewill mentioned and I've also seen Cherry themselves sell their own branded keyboards pretty cheap like this one that's onsale for $55 CND right now.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Thanks for all the input everybody, I guess I'll stick with shelling out $10-20 for my Logitech ones every couple of years.

The thing is, I was considering a mechanical keyboard solely because the cheap rubber dome ones literally break after some years (as I said, it's usually the W key that shits the bed, go figure), I don't really have any strong feelings about the different mechanics one way or another.

notZaar posted:

That's mostly true, except those cheap rear end keyboards have some kind of limit that only lets you press 2-3 keys at a time. I learned this the hard way trying to play Binding of Isaac on a cheap MS keyboard. Move in two directions and shoot? Not gonna happen.

I've also never really had an issue with ghosting, but then I mostly play FPS games and I imagine it might be more of an issue with maybe RTS games or something like that.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What makes Das a 1337 gaming pro gear kind of company? Their stuff seems way more tasteful than, say, razer, and they don't even push the gaming angle up front on their website. The first thing that pops up is focused on typing.

It's not the gaudy LEDs type of 1337 thing they're going for, but the blank keys thing seems to cater to a very specific kind of target group and the price tag seems absolutely insane to me, but then to be fair, I gotta admit I didn't know that you couldn't get a completely plain mechanical for less than ~$70.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 23, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Just hunt down older models of gaming keyboards if your want then cheap. The Microsoft sidewinder X4 goes for under £25 now that it's been replaced with the X6.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mega Comrade posted:

Just hunt down older models of gaming keyboards if your want then cheap. The Microsoft sidewinder X4 goes for under £25 now that it's been replaced with the X6.

Neither of them are mechanicals though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ahh didn't see that bit when I skimmed his post, nevermind.

For some content, while I've always loved the tactile feel of mechanical keyboards they are just too loud for my use. My PC is in the same room as my TV and my girlfriend already complains about my keyboard but she can get past it by turning the TV up a little. I think she'd smash it if I switched back to a mechanical one.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 23, 2013

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
I'm quite fond of the Logitech G710+. It has decent bit of features such as macros/WASD backlighting and media keys and a volume roller. I'm not sure which switches are in it, but they have a decent click without out being extremely loud. You can grab it on Amazon for 100$ sometimes, but that may be more than you wish to spend. It's usually around 125$+.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Monoprice also has a house-brand mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches for $57.42 (or $49.83 if you buy 50 or more :v:): http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140102&p_id=9433&seq=1&format=2

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone try out God Mode yet? Looks like a neat little co-op game (I love me some co-op)?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
It's pretty fun. Much better with friends than without, but solid runny-shooty-upgradey gameplay.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is it similar to The Haunted: Hells reach? Because that game owned and devs put some patches that improved the game quite a lot. It had a fantastic melee system, simple but useful aside from really satisfying shooting.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010
I'd be up for 1 of a 4 pack (in UK so I think it's better a US goons buys). In reference to God Mode

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Manac0r posted:

I'd be up for 1 of a 4 pack (in UK so I think it's better a US goons buys). In reference to God Mode

If we can get a few more people together I'd be all for that, I'd ask for $7.50 in paypal.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

That makes rear end Creed 3 sound incredibly phoned in.

It was. It felt like a huge step backwards compared to the previous games. AC2 was amazing, AC:B was incredible, and Revelations was... alright. AC3 just poo poo all over that.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Bleh, Revelations was worse than "alright", ironically because the expectation had been set so high by ACB.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Revelations was disappointing as a full-price game because it was basically just more AC:B, but "More AC:B" is pretty nice, now that the game's removed from being a "more of the same" sequel.

Also, I loved the Master Assassin missions, it really sold the idea that I was in charge of an assassin den more than anything in AC:B.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Burning Mustache posted:

The thing is, I was considering a mechanical keyboard solely because the cheap rubber dome ones literally break after some years (as I said, it's usually the W key that shits the bed, go figure), I don't really have any strong feelings about the different mechanics one way or another.
Look into scissor switch keyboards, I find its a happy medium between membranes and real mechanicals, and more importantly are more durable and feel better than the cheapest of cheapass keyboards. Runs $15-30 generally.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Burning Mustache posted:

It's not the gaudy LEDs type of 1337 thing they're going for, but the blank keys thing seems to cater to a very specific kind of target group and the price tag seems absolutely insane to me, but then to be fair, I gotta admit I didn't know that you couldn't get a completely plain mechanical for less than ~$70.
Just look at this thing:

You're making a very specific statement with that, and I'd argue it's worse than the really gaudy gaming keyboards with extra buttons and lights all over.

That said, the one with labeled keys looks decent, I like the simple layout. But I think mechanical keyboards in general are overrated, I don't like the noise and resistance.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The unmarked keys started off as a cost-lowering measure, but then typists started phoning in saying their words-per-minute had gone up after using it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Just look at this thing:

You're making a very specific statement with that, and I'd argue it's worse than the really gaudy gaming keyboards with extra buttons and lights all over.

That said, the one with labeled keys looks decent, I like the simple layout. But I think mechanical keyboards in general are overrated, I don't like the noise and resistance.

I was planning on getting the one with labeled keys for the media functions, but I actually like the look of the unlabeled keys. I don't live in a house with someone who hunts and pecks, what are the labels useful for?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Looks like they left the bumps on the F and J keys. That's insufficiently austere. :colbert:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't think I could ever use an unlabeled keyboard. Why on earth do you want that?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It would drive me crazy for the F keys and the numpad, but all the central traveled keys makes sense. You don't look at 'em anyway.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

RightClickSaveAs posted:

You're making a very specific statement with that,

"I know how to touch type"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

HotCanadianChick posted:

"I know how to touch type"?

It really stands out when you meet someone that can't. Like really really stands out.

It's said the average speed is about 30-40 wpm, and most everyone I know that has always had a computer around from early ages and on stands around the 50-60 mark.

That said, you throw dvorak at me and I'm hosed.

• Locked thread