Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Vodos posted:

So which country are you going to play in tonight's EUIV stream? I think you should pick Austria and gently caress with Poland and the Balkans for maximum fun!

I'm going to need a direct link to the stream channel, how did I not know about this? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Mister Adequate posted:

There is at least one mod which changes you into the Kingdom of God, but yes, in vanilla you just remain the Papal States. I just did it a couple months ago and shared your disappointment.

Nope, Kingdom of God is a vanilla decision:

quote:

gods_kingdom = {
potential = {
NOT = { exists = ITA }
tag = PAP
NOT = { has_country_modifier = kingdom_of_god }
}
allow =
{
owns = 101 # Liguria
owns = 103 # Piedmont
owns = 104 # Lombardia
owns = 105 # Parma
owns = 106 # Modena
owns = 107 # Brescia
owns = 108 # Verona
owns = 109 # Mantua
owns = 111 # Friuli
owns = 112 # Venezia
owns = 113 # Ferrara
owns = 114 # Romagna
owns = 115 # Pisa
owns = 116 # Firenze
owns = 117 # Siena
owns = 118 # Roma
owns = 119 # Ancona
owns = 130 # Istria
owns = 1774 # Treviso
owns = 1862 # Cremona
owns = 1875 # Cuneo
war = no
}
effect = {
PAP = {
add_core = 101 # Liguria
add_core = 103 # Piedmont
add_core = 104 # Lombardia
add_core = 105 # Parma
add_core = 106 # Modena
add_core = 107 # Brescia
add_core = 108 # Verona
add_core = 109 # Mantua
add_core = 111 # Friuli
add_core = 112 # Venezia
add_core = 113 # Ferrara
add_core = 114 # Romagna
add_core = 115 # Pisa
add_core = 116 # Firenze
add_core = 117 # Siena
add_core = 118 # Roma
add_core = 119 # Ancona
add_core = 130 # Istria
add_core = 1774 # Treviso
add_core = 1862 # Cremona
add_core = 1875 # Cuneo
}
culture_group_union = latin
118 = { base_tax = 1 }
add_country_modifier = {
name = "kingdom_of_god"
duration = -1
}
country_event = 2021
}
ai_will_do = {
factor = 1
}
}

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

It was in the latest Paradox newsletter:

quote:

4/25 Europa Universalis Franchise - 75% off!
In addition to the sale there is a live stream showing off Europa Universalis IV on the 25th at 6 p.m. GMT/ 7 p.m. BST / 8 p.m. CEST/ 11 a.m. PDT over at Twitch: http://twitchtv.com/paradoxinteractive

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm going to need a direct link to the stream channel, how did I not know about this? :stare:

Yeah, there's going be a stream? I want in on this. I've spent the last week watching streams of Larian developers playing through Divinity: Original Sin, and it was surprisingly entertaining, connection problems and all.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Darkrenown posted:

Nope, Kingdom of God is a vanilla decision:

They're talking about actually changing tags so that the country's name changes. In vanilla you get cores and a nice country modifier, but you're still just the same old PAP on the map.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Varam posted:

They're talking about actually changing tags so that the country's name changes. In vanilla you get cores and a nice country modifier, but you're still just the same old PAP on the map.

Yeah, this. I was hoping I would actually become a country called Kingdom of God.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Changing the army system so brigades come from any culture would really make this game more enjoyable. Nothing more annoying than constantly having to reinforce your armies because this pop rebelled or this pop emigrated or whatever.
As for army stacks, it seems I found a really nice composition: 4 infantry, 2 guards, 4 arty, 2 cannons, 2x dragoon, 2x hussar, 2x cuirassier
Sieges are very fast and watching the battle line up nothing seems open, the result are also very nice as this almost always smashes enemy armies completely (even if they are bigger). Not sure if any country but my super China can field that many of them.

Speaking of China, it's 1968 and I just pushed Russia past the Ural.
One annoying thing tough, how do I gently caress up Great Britain without having to pay 80% warscore to release a single OPM satellite in India? My solution was to cheat and simply make them surrender after I occupied all of India and Australia, the infamy doesn't matter anymore at this point as it's above 100 anyway. Is there a way to do this without resorting to the console?

Fake Edit: Don't play with pop growth files, I had the entire World on 5000% popgrowth for about 8 months... it caused some small issues with rebellions, likely because of unemployed people. Good thing there's 3 autosaves.

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man
Whoa wait can uncivs seriously not take land from civilized countries? That's so arbitrary.

I don't suppose puppeting Two Sicilies would give me research points?

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Hey since Paradox devs seem to be in this thread more than the CK2 thread I need to post this because I found an issue thats going to make me look like a crazy sebjia nationalist from your paradox forums BUT:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/25/crusader-kings-2-the-old-gods-release-date-and-new-details-from-mondays-livestream/

quote:

Flavor events surrounding the great East/West schism in Christianity are still being considered, but are not currently in the game. Orthodox and Catholic are still being treated as “effectively separate” in 867.

I hope the person who wrote the article misquoted you guys because The Great Schism is a loving huge event so what the heckery is going on Wiz, Johan, Darkrenown?

Also i'm glad you're putting more interest into research and technology instead of having people just pick one and not look at that screen anymore ever.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Great Schism is a huge event from a symbolic perspective, but in actuality just confirmed a split that had been ongoing for centuries. I personally don't think it needs modelling other than as a flavor event, but this is just my opinion. I do not make the design decisions for CK2.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just finished my first game of Heart of Darkness as Scandinavia (and honestly I think this is maybe only the second grand campaign I've ever finished with V2). Nothing really amazing happened, aside from Prussia becoming a communist dictatorship around 1870 and only falling (and forming a democratic Germany in the process) after losing a massive Great War in 1920.

Started the GC with the goal of unifying Scandinavia ASAP, colonizing the heart of Africa, and finishing in the top 4. China was at 2nd place for awhile, but a four year-long war between them and Great Britain in SE Asia saw their military get totally decimated, so I managed to sneak up to 4th.

No idea who to play as my next game, though. Also no clue what happened to make that second screenshot looked so hosed up, but at least you can make out my sweet Scandinavian Pommerania and the rest of Europe's terrible borders.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Wiz posted:

The Great Schism is a huge event from a symbolic perspective, but in actuality just confirmed a split that had been ongoing for centuries. I personally don't think it needs modelling other than as a flavor event, but this is just my opinion. I do not make the design decisions for CK2.

No one that works primarily on CK2 posts here, but as far as I know, that is their feelings on the matter too.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Wiz posted:

Wiz, at least convince them make it more than just one pop-up or something. It's a huge event from a symbolic perspective but Religion plays a huge factor in CK2, especially with the Old Gods on board now.

Also get Avindian to write the Old Gods AARs. The Ulm guy is funny but Avindian is seriously Paradox's best AAR writer because he gives detailed information and explanations. Avindian making a HOI3 tutorial AAR or a EU4 tutorial AAR would probably be better than the manual.

(I tell Matrix/Slitherine all the time to hire Grey Hunter to make tutorial AARs too since he's the best for those types of games).

Darkrenown posted:

No one that works primarily on CK2 posts here, but as far as I know, that is their feelings on the matter too.

Pass the message on then. Just say "So a poster on another forum I visit was like "Hey, make the Great Schism more than just a pop-up because xyz and also hire Avindian because he's our best AAR writer." Then hand them beers (i'll paypal you the money to buy the beer).

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Necroneocon posted:

Pass the message on then. Just say "So a poster on another forum I visit was like "Hey, make the Great Schism more than just a pop-up because xyz and also hire Avindian because he's our best AAR writer." Then hand them beers (i'll paypal you the money to buy the beer).

I would like to lend my support to this model of game development.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Jabu posted:

Whoa wait can uncivs seriously not take land from civilized countries? That's so arbitrary.

I don't suppose puppeting Two Sicilies would give me research points?

Wait, who told you that? Absolutely you can conquer land from civs as uncivs.

In my current Johore game I took Singapore back from the Brits :smug:.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Patter Song posted:

What?! How?? Explain!

The only time I ever dared doing something similar was as a mega Dai Nam, annexing parts of Siam which was in the sphere of a Great Britain that was currently suffering from the effects of a Great War Capitulation and so had a military score of 6.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

fuf posted:

I would like to lend my support to this model of game development.

Avindian being the official AAR tutorial person for Paradox would be amazing. All of his tutorial AARs are great and full of detail on the Paradox forums. It's a shame because for example, all the HOI3 AARs are like lets play make believe! and I think i've begged Avindian twice to do a HOI3 AAR like he did with CK2 and Vicky 2 which actually helped me a lot in understanding the game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Thinking of starting a game with the ultimate intent of just completely breaking the United Kingdom. Which would probably be best/most fun for this between Russia, US, Germany, France, or China?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Drone posted:

Thinking of starting a game with the ultimate intent of just completely breaking the United Kingdom. Which would probably be best/most fun for this between Russia, US, Germany, France, or China?

United Kingdom.

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

Patter Song posted:

You can take colonies, it seems. But not states.

Not that it matters because both France and Spain intervened anyway :v: Forgot about that mechanic. Also Two Sicilies can raise a surprising number of conscripts! At least I got away with just losing some prestige.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Jabu posted:

You can take colonies, it seems. But not states.

Not that it matters because both France and Spain intervened anyway :v: Forgot about that mechanic. Also Two Sicilies can raise a surprising number of conscripts! At least I got away with just losing some prestige.

You...totally can, though? Like, you can conquer Transvaal and the Oranje Freistaat as Zulu.

DrSunshine posted:

What?! How?? Explain!

The only time I ever dared doing something similar was as a mega Dai Nam, annexing parts of Siam which was in the sphere of a Great Britain that was currently suffering from the effects of a Great War Capitulation and so had a military score of 6.

More the AI than me. They DOWed me to annex Johore and three years later their over -30 Ticking Warscore made my own 5 warscore "Acquire British Malaya" deal seem reasonable.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Ok, I've just got another quick CK2 question (boy this thread moves quickly; my old question was pages ago now): How come the small arsenal I built in my republic a little while ago (the republic of Cyprus. I should be fine unless I invest all my gold into internet monopoly money, eh?) disappear when a new Grand Mayor took charge? I'm sure that didn't happen in my old Gotland game, so I'm not certain about what's up. I don't suppose anyone here knows?

Yeah I've run into this as well, seems like a bug, would sadly recommend just never building arsenals as a Republic unless it gets fixed.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Drone posted:

Germany: Excellent chances for continental domination and with a bit of grit and hard work, you can even make a navy to outmatch Britain. However, your central position means that you're almost certainly going to need to tie up a lot of resources defending yourself from British allies in any war with Britain, and until you get unified, you're not really going to have a navy and thus won't really have the ability to gently caress with the UK early on.

France: Like Germany, excellent position for continental domination, but with a smaller front to worry about and a larger coastline with which to build ships. Also, historical rivals. Excellent choice for straight opposition against the British, if perhaps a bit bland because of that.

US: Good prospects as a country and an actual land border with UK territories means that you if you can muster up the manpower, you've got a good chance of hammering Canada into the dirt one way or another. Will be distracted by the Civil War and Mexico, however, and any continental invasion is going to require shipping all the way across the Atlantic and the Royal Navy.

Russia: Terrible literacy, vast manpower, not a lot of good port coastline. The main strength of Russia, its population, is difficult to bring to bear across the waves, and your lousy literacy means it's going to be a good long time before you can outmatch the Royal Navy. On the plus side, though, if you invade the right places you could try to invade India by land. Possibly the most difficult of the choices.

China: When you civilize China, you don't just break the UK, you break the GAME.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
To nerf China I recommend http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?684459-HoD-Better-China-Mini-Mod

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Patter Song posted:

You...totally can, though? Like, you can conquer Transvaal and the Oranje Freistaat as Zulu.

The state has to border you.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.
Moving to lifestream room now!

http://sv.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Hmm they have some kind of friend recruitment scheme below the stream. DLC and poo poo for recruited friends, it just doesn't say what they mean by recruited. Ok looks like you just need people to register at their site, then you get a recruitment url that others can use to sign up at the site. There's no downside to using someone else's link to sign up, so make sure you use another goon's, like mine! http://signup.europauniversalis4.com/r/1549bc951cc

Vodos fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 25, 2013

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

Wiz posted:

The state has to border you.
But I couldn't choose a conquest CB against the Ottomans either :confused:

As Egypt.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

And I was just in Elentor's FFVII LP too!

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Vodos posted:

Hmm they have some kind of friend recruitment scheme below the stream. DLC and poo poo for recruited friends, it just doesn't say what they mean by recruited.
You just get people to sign up to the website using your referral link. And speaking of which, here's mine http://signup.europauniversalis4.com/r/3b2757392e0
Gotta make 100!

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Jabu posted:

As Egypt.

Conquest CB is only available against 1 state civilized nations and <5 state uncivs. The result of a successful conquest is the annexation of the nation, so if it's too large you need to "acquire state" until they are small enough to annex.

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

Nightblade posted:

Conquest CB is only available against 1 state civilized nations and <5 state uncivs. The result of a successful conquest is the annexation of the nation, so if it's too large you need to "acquire state" until they are small enough to annex.
I didn't literally mean the Conquest CB. I couldn't remember what the right one was called.

Either way, I couldn't justify war to take land against either the Ottomans or Two Sicilies.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think France needs to be a more different blue to the sea.

e: oh wow interaction with potential rebels, that's something I've silently wanted for a while

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 25, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

How do you guys always start livestreams exactly when I am leaving for work :mad:?

Ah well I can always take a look at it later :v:.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jabu posted:

As Egypt.

Yeah sorry, I actually misremembered. Turns out uncivs can only take colonial states.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Jabu posted:

I didn't literally mean the Conquest CB. I couldn't remember what the right one was called.

Either way, I couldn't justify war to take land against either the Ottomans or Two Sicilies.

OK, I only have AHD, but I checked the CB and it looks like you're right. Uncivs can only conquer colonies from civilized nations.
To fix that you could add
code:
			AND = {
				civilized = yes
				THIS = {
					civilized = no
				}
			}
to the "acquire_state" cb in cb_types.txt in the common folder.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It still really wigs me out that EUIV has ships under the 'diplomatic' tech group. It's like Skyrim throwing axes under 'blunt'.

Seems like it ought to be Admin/Diplomacy, Naval/Trade, and Land.

Or just find a better localization name then 'diplomatic'.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Watching the stream, there is a lot of new choices in the game. I love the rebel choices, the trade routes and the new ideas system. It looks really, really good.

Edit: The different resources (diplomacy, administration and military) are really cool too, and will definitely make me play the game in a lot more ways, especially if there's a cap to how much of each resource you can stockpile.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I want this so bad, all the choices and system changes look amazing!

PDX guys, is the National Monuments DLC cosmetic or actual buildings you can build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Vodos posted:

I want this so bad, all the choices and system changes look amazing!

PDX guys, is the National Monuments DLC cosmetic or actual buildings you can build?

Doesn't it include Old Faithful? Gotta be cosmetic.

But, yeah, EUIV is looking pretty awesome.

• Locked thread