Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Reiley posted:

Okay that works too! Also when we're both around we could try the clan invite again, I wanna be GOON.

My goal is to be online by 8 pm EST if not sooner. You should join up the mummble server!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The only give away I remember going that fast was the Intel pack. Also, the Raptr stuff doesn't start today.

Elite Pack
Experienced Pack
Newbie Pack

Okay. Well, I'm 2k GP away from perming the M4X. I'll use this week to get up some GP to perm you a katana. You can hit me back at some future point in time.

I know. I meant I've got a class tomorrow.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
are you still looking for more officers? I'm fairly active right now and wouldn't mind helping out a bit. What exactly would I do?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Does anyone else feel like this when we roll up on a server in our multicolor power ranger armor?

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I would much rather be equated with a dalek then a power ranger for sure.

This is how I imagine most of the pubbies at the end of match.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

See, that just makes me feel like one of the random mooks vaguely working for the Daleks who gets offed 10 minutes into the episode. :v:

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
I'll be honest, I really just want the free shotgun.

If someone gets it and already had it, let me know and we'll see if there's something you want as a trade.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

My Har build. Tap fire and win.

Twostep, Rhino, Collapsible stock, 3x :catdrugs:

Merica fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 25, 2013

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Miss-Bomarc posted:

I'll be honest, I really just want the free shotgun.

If someone gets it and already had it, let me know and we'll see if there's something you want as a trade.

Sure. You can trade me for mine. I'm looking for a sniper helmet or a new pilot camo. If that's not possible just make me an offer. I'm flexible.

Edit: Had some delicious tears tonight.

Meet the twins. They are my new laser guns/headshot generators. Still trying to decide which one is my favorite. The better performer is the AR but the sounds them M4X makes are so lovely.

Reiley posted:

Okay that works too! Also when we're both around we could try the clan invite again, I wanna be GOON.

Somehow we missed each other. I was looking out for you. rallyyy is your in game, yes?

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 25, 2013

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Somehow we missed each other. I was looking out for you. rallyyy is your in game, yes?

Yeah that's me, and I just got it. Thanks!

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Sure. You can trade me for mine. I'm looking for a sniper helmet or a new pilot camo. If that's not possible just make me an offer. I'm flexible.
Score! If I don't get one today (probable) I'll pester you next time we're both in-game.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

The subject of tournament rulesets came up again last night in the middle of a TDM Seaport match. The pubbies had a raging hard-on over forcing all the participants to run “all default”. I’m not sure if that’s the case, I don’t follow the event scene in BLR too closely, but they were thrilled that everyone was going to be in 200 HP armor. They proceeded to cry buckets saying that having over 200 HP was OP. It hurts my brain even now when I think about the idea that having anything but 200 HP is over powered. The guy was so butt hurt that he was complaining that “90% of the people run 220+ HP builds”. Mind you I was doing decently well last night running 182 HP build. I just shake my head and sigh.

So, what do you think about rulesets and equipment restrictions?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The subject of tournament rulesets came up again last night in the middle of a TDM Seaport match. The pubbies had a raging hard-on over forcing all the participants to run “all default”. I’m not sure if that’s the case, I don’t follow the event scene in BLR too closely, but they were thrilled that everyone was going to be in 200 HP armor. They proceeded to cry buckets saying that having over 200 HP was OP. It hurts my brain even now when I think about the idea that having anything but 200 HP is over powered. The guy was so butt hurt that he was complaining that “90% of the people run 220+ HP builds”. Mind you I was doing decently well last night running 182 HP build. I just shake my head and sigh.

So, what do you think about rulesets and equipment restrictions?

I can understand stuff restricting certain gun parts or the number of heal injectors but forcing default gear is really dumb.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The problem is not "over 200 is overpowered", because yeah it's generally better, but nobody forces you to run a speed build if you don't think it's worth it - and depending on the game mode it may actually be worth it so the option should be left available.

The problem is that there are some items above level 30 that either:

a) no single player needs to have to be competitive, but a team should really have access to (Firewall pack, possibly HRV Cloak)

b) provide an admittedly small improvement over lower-level gear, but even a small advantage tarnishes the meaning of competition (Break Guard armour, arguably Fox+Cat helmet)

I like the variety and I think if those are problems it's better to just ban/restrict a few items than to kill the whole customisation, but where do you draw the line? I.e. which level can you expect participants to be if they want to be on even ground? Now consider that given the small player base you probably can't afford to exclude Americans from European tournaments or vice-versa, but asking them to play with low-level alts most likely puts them at am actual disadvantage. So I can understand playing it safe with a rule of "Level 1-10 gear only", or hell even "Level 1 gear only", but I see no reason to go as far as "default only".

I hope the announced "scrim pack" solves this issue, but we'll have to see.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

I’ve always been admittedly opposed to restrictions. Even if certain items are objectively better why is that actually a problem for competitive play? Does everyone using the Fox+Cat helmet and the Breakgaurd chest negatively impact things in the grand scheme? Is it game breaking? Does it prevent people from mastering the systems of the game? Yeah it might look a little silly visually (so would everyone wearing the same level 1 armor) but outside of that I see no problems. In fact, I’d even argue that the best players would avoid using those armors while becoming experts at combating that particular setup at which point people would change their armor load outs to something else which then the best would learn to dominate and on and on it goes.

Right now I build my guns to deal exactly enough damage to most efficiently kill 224 HP builds. If you came at me with a 226 HP build or a 230 HP build you’d have a much better chance of defeating me in a firefight because I’d need that one extra bullet. You’d also be no worse off if you came at me with a 182 HP build as it would take the same number of rounds to kill you as it would a 224 HP build.

That’s really the beauty of this game! All the configuration options give this game a huge amount of depth. Every time you take an item out of the game over some silly misguided and, in my opinion, incorrect notion “fairness” you make the game shallower. Blacklight doesn’t have the best gun mechanics and to me this kind of stuff is its real draw. Thinking through gun configurations and armor loadouts, what depot items to bring to the field, what grenades to equip, do you want to heal or carry a shield, etc are keep me coming back.

Only two things to me seem on the boarder of being game breaking: heavy depot item refills and datanodes. Being able to spam swarm rockets at a spawn point seems a bit out of balance and the datanodes allow you to actually break through stat caps and do weird things that make the game unfair in a number of ways. In tournament play I would probably ban the use of datanodes but I’d be on the fence about heavy depot item refills. Spamming depot items seems to be more of a cream the noobs tactic that wouldn’t work on more experienced players outside of siege.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I hope they do another promo for the silver camo. I want to be shiny.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Raptr Rewards are live in ~1 minute

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

:siren: It's live. :siren:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
For those curious: there were about 5000 packs for each one to start. I doubt it'll be difficult to get your own.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Claimed mine. 4,215 remaining.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
anyone else having problems redeeming the codes?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Also note: Facebook connect is working again.

Dalmuti posted:

Yes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dalmuti posted:

I don't think they're working yet.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
but but i demand my gratification be of the instant variety

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Apparently they messed up on my redemption and I got 2 ak470s and 2 shotguns in my mailbox. Uh ok

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Dalmuti posted:

Yes this always happens when there is a giveaway of free items. If you get the "There was an error sending your items." that means it was successful.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Also they are permanent.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Except the gold camos, they're 30-day.

On the plus side, the shotgun is actually the receiver, not the Metal Storm premade. (It's good because you can put the damage barrel on it now.)

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Oh yeah, looks like the weekly weapon pack gets updated to whatever the current weapon of the week is, so you won't be stashing hundreds of each weapon.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I actually have a question about the weekly weapon packs. I bought one, just to try the BPFA out, and when the transaction finished, all of my GP disappeared. I'm fairly certain the weekly weapon packs are supposed to be free, so is this a bug or something else?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

The Jumpoff posted:

I actually have a question about the weekly weapon packs. I bought one, just to try the BPFA out, and when the transaction finished, all of my GP disappeared. I'm fairly certain the weekly weapon packs are supposed to be free, so is this a bug or something else?

Relog and your money'll come back. It's a bug and you still have money.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

gibbed posted:

Oh yeah, looks like the weekly weapon pack gets updated to whatever the current weapon of the week is, so you won't be stashing hundreds of each weapon.

Nuts. :v:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Mauser posted:

Relog and your money'll come back. It's a bug and you still have money.

Oh good. I thought I'd lost 1k GP for a moment. Thank you!

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Apparently they messed up on my redemption and I got 2 ak470s and 2 shotguns in my mailbox. Uh ok

Hmmm... I spammed the redeem page until it accepted my codes but didn't log in to see what I got. Now I'm curious whether or not I got multiples too.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I've got around 5 permanent Machine Pistols now accidentally. Uhhhh. Woops.

At least I've got the AK 470 to play around with so that's fine.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Artificer posted:

I've got around 5 permanent Machine Pistols now accidentally. Uhhhh. Woops.

At least I've got the AK 470 to play around with so that's fine.

Goodbye economy! :science:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

So I'll trade them for something? Like maybe an extended mag for the MP or the TSMG? :downs:

Yeah they're probably not going to be worth much after this.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009
Got mine 3367 elite, 2792 noobie and 2886 experienced left.

Hooray bonebreaker helm i don't need to buy ak I don't need to buy and shotgun I don't need to buy

VVVVV Definitely perms. All of them

Merica fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 25, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Anyone confirm all the rewards are perms? I haven't had a chance to log in yet, just redeem, but I need to.know I'm going to have amazing hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Anyone confirm all the rewards are perms? I haven't had a chance to log in yet, just redeem, but I need to.know I'm going to have amazing hair.

The camos are 30 days, the rest are permanent.

• Locked thread