Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations. I never finished watching Zatch Bell or read the manga at all, so I'll definitely give that a try. Fate/Zero I've never heard of at all, and Dragon Drive looks like one of those shows I'll watch purely for the monsters, haha...

Endorph posted:

Also, have you seen every season of Digimon?

Only the first three seasons, and even then it was a while ago. Any particularly good seasons to watch/rewatch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

SomniumObmutum posted:

Thanks for the ideas guys, Baccano! is probably going to be number one on my list because it takes place during one of my favorite story telling periods, Prohibition! Also I guess Legend of the Galactic Heroes is good? I honestly can't tell if its a giant running gag or if its a legitimate thing I should watch.
Both of those are legitimately great series, and if you like Baccano! you'll probably enjoy Durarara!! too even though it takes place in modern-day Tokyo. Watch both Baccano and LotGH for sure, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

SomniumObmutum posted:

Thanks for the ideas guys, Baccano! is probably going to be number one on my list because it takes place during one of my favorite story telling periods, Prohibition! Also I guess Legend of the Galactic Heroes is good? I honestly can't tell if its a giant running gag or if its a legitimate thing I should watch.
LotGH is one of the few times that the hype has been justified.

I didn't really like Baccano, but a lot of people do, so there must be something about it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ViggyNash posted:

Also, having just come off of Steins;Gate and MHS, I REALLY want to stay away from time fuckery for a bit, so I'll pass on Tatami Galaxy for now.

Please don't do this, it's pretty much the best anime ever and has nothing to do with time travel :(

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Please don't do this, it's pretty much the best anime ever and has nothing to do with time travel :(

So it's more of a commentary on it than an actual exhibition? I guess I could deal with that. I've just started GITS:SAC, so Ill try that next maybe.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's basically a Groundhog Day sort of setup, though there are some differences. It's basically a vehicle to drive the story.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ah, so the time travel is simply an event to drive the discussion going on.

BTW, thanks Seagoon for suggesting Stand Alone Complex. 2 episodes in and it's already one of my favorite shows so far. And my god is the music and sound design amazing!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saturday Mornings posted:

Only the first three seasons, and even then it was a while ago. Any particularly good seasons to watch/rewatch?
Digimon Adventure is a pretty solid little show. It's nothing special but it's pretty decent.

Digimon Adventure 02 is a huge mess. It's got some nice ideas tucked away in there and the best villain in the series, but it had something like twelve different writers and two different head writers. So, yeah, it's about as much of a mess as you'd expect. Subplots get tossed in and dropped immediately - at one point a big bad villain shows up, hijacks the actual main villain's plan, then is almost immediately defeated and is never mentioned again. There's not even a big fight with him or anything, he just kinda gets thrown into a garbage can.

Digimon Tamers is legitimately a really good show. Like, no irony or 'if you like monsters' or whatever. It is a well-written show with a lot of interesting ideas, nice characters, and a cool plot driving it.

Digimon Savers has a main character who punches giant monsters in the face.

Those are the ones I've watched recently and can vouch for the quality, or lack thereof.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 24, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Endorph posted:

Digimon Tamers is legitimately a really good show. Like, no irony or 'if you like monsters' or whatever. It is a well-written show with a lot of interesting ideas, nice characters, and a cool plot driving it.

Tamers is written by Chiaki loving Konata, otherwise known as the guy who wrote Serial Experiments Lain. Why Bandai thought it was a good idea for him to write a show for children is anybody's guess, but the result is probably one of the most mature and thoughtful "children's anime" ever made.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He also wrote Big O, according to the mighty Wikipedia.

And I'm pretty sure he sought them out, not the other way around. He was one of the army of writers for Adventure 02, and I think he was really insistent about writing Tamers - he had a lot of ideas and really wanted to write a season of Digimon, and he really wanted to do it, please let him do it oh corporate overlords. They relented because, sure, what the hell was the worst thing that could happen?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Digimon Tamers sounds incredibly intriguing - does it stand alone or do I have to watch two seasons of boring-sounding stuff?

ViggyNash posted:

Ah, so the time travel is simply an event to drive the discussion going on.

I think so. Nothing confusing, just humour, depression, great animation, and one of the best endings I've ever seen.

1) This might be vague, but I would like to watch/read anything about characters having an adventure/traveling. It could be a grand quest, aimless wandering, just showing up when needed, or just having a "home base" of sorts and being deployed to new places. If there's action, awesome, but I don't mind a chill anime either: Mushi-Shi and Kino's Journey are some of my favorite shows ever.

A bit obvious, but what about Mononoke? (Not the Ghibli film.) It's a lot like Mushishi, with a bit more action.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If I remember correctly there's only one event in Tatami Galaxy that really counts as "time travel": towards the end Watashi meets a future version of himself and it helps scare him into getting his poo poo together. But it's more of a metaphor made literal than a science fiction plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Digimon Tamers stands on its own. It's it's own series - the other two seasons before it are referenced as existing as cartoons in its universe, actually.

There's one character who's a reference to a wonderswan game, but I'm pretty sure it was one that was only ever released in Japan, since, y'know, wonderswan, and he works fine as a character without understanding that.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

Digimon Tamers stands on its own. It's it's own series - the other two seasons before it are referenced as existing as cartoons in its universe, actually.

There's one character who's a reference to a wonderswan game, but I'm pretty sure it was one that was only ever released in Japan, since, y'know, wonderswan, and he works fine as a character without understanding that.

I've often thought about re-watching Digimon for nostalgia's sake. I remember watching Adventure, Adventure 2, and Tamers every Saturday morning as a kid. If some of them actually hold up, that'll be pretty nice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adventure holds up decently. It's a kid's cartoon, but it knows that, has some fun with it, and even gives the characters a decent amount of development.

The only really striking thing nostalgia might be protecting you from is the animation - pretty much every season of Digimon has a budget of about a quarter and five McNuggets, and it shows.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

unpronounceable posted:

If some of them actually hold up, that'll be pretty nice.

Adventure isn't any worse than every other modern shounen marketing vehicle. I'd go so far as to say the fact that it's actually a complete story with dynamic characters may actually make it better.

02 is almost universally considered the worst season. Especially that epilogue... which doesn't exist :ssh:

Tamers, as already stated is still legitimately good even outside it's own franchise. Like Princess Tutu for guys.

Frontier is pretty mediocre, but deviated heavily from the formula(basically becoming Digimon Super Sentai) and almost tanked the entire franchise as a result.

Savers is basically Digimon trying to ride the coattails of the "Big 3" by becoming more hot-blooded and mature(though not nearly to Tamers levels).

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

House Louse posted:

A bit obvious, but what about Mononoke? (Not the Ghibli film.) It's a lot like Mushishi, with a bit more action.

I just started Mononoke today on a whim and it's everything I wanted it to be. Fantastic, and it's going to break my heart when it's all over. What a wonderful, weird, and colorful (the colors!) ride.

Endorph posted:

Awesome summaries

Thanks for this, seriously! I'm looking forward to Tamers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I just started Mononoke today on a whim and it's everything I wanted it to be. Fantastic, and it's going to break my heart when it's all over. What a wonderful, weird, and colorful (the colors!) ride.

Keep in mind that Mononoke is a spin-off of an earlier series, Ayakashi. Although full disclosure, I've seen Mononoke and never got around to watching Ayakashi myself. :v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Keep in mind that Mononoke is a spin-off of an earlier series, Ayakashi. Although full disclosure, I've seen Mononoke and never got around to watching Ayakashi myself. :v:
Only the third section of Ayakashi is Mononoke-style. The other parts are okay, I guess, but they're not Mononoke. Great ED, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I can't seem to stick with One Piece and I don't know why. I haven't watched the anime in years, and I haven't read the manga very far at all (not to Arlong Park like someone said earlier).

2) Any anime where monsters/supernatural companions/living weapons/familiars etc. do battle with or under the command of human controllers. This is stemming from a childhood love of Pokemon/Digimon/Monster Rancher, so my standards are ridiculously low for this. I just like seeing different sorts of monsters. Anime I've seen even vaguely related to this already: Onmyou Taisenki, Natsume's Book of Friends (not monster battling, but there's lots of spirits), Blue Dragon, the anime adaptation of Persona 4, Medabots, Shaman King, I'm sure there's more. I have not seen Narutaru, but from what I hear it's a bit too hosed up for me to enjoy.

I hope you're not reading really awful scanlations of OP, that made it difficult initially for me to start on it, because they can be REALLY BAD.

Have you tried...Monster Rancher, I think it is? It had Suezo who is a little eyeball-on-a-leg, some giant rock golem thing, some other interesting characters. I always used to think it was a pretty hosed up show because dudes died a LOT. Probably more than Digimon. And it was on at the same time as Digimon, back in the days when Saturday morning cartoons still existed.

Also Zatch Bell is peak shounen, I can't think of a more trope-ey shounen series, but it does a drat fine job at it and the ultimate attacks are just loving BONKERS. It's also pretty drat funny when it wants to be. Victoreem is one of my favorite characters.

Redcrimson posted:

Adventure isn't any worse than every other modern shounen marketing vehicle. I'd go so far as to say the fact that it's actually a complete story with dynamic characters may actually make it better.

02 is almost universally considered the worst season. Especially that epilogue... which doesn't exist :ssh:

Tamers, as already stated is still legitimately good even outside it's own franchise. Like Princess Tutu for guys.

Frontier is pretty mediocre, but deviated heavily from the formula(basically becoming Digimon Super Sentai) and almost tanked the entire franchise as a result.

Savers is basically Digimon trying to ride the coattails of the "Big 3" by becoming more hot-blooded and mature(though not nearly to Tamers levels).

So which Digimon is the first American one with Tai and co, and which one was with them in the real world with the bad guy with the worm buddy, and which one was the one with those guys grown up? I remember watching them when I was younger.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Captain Invictus posted:

So which Digimon is the first American one with Tai and co, and which one was with them in the real world with the bad guy with the worm buddy, and which one was the one with those guys grown up? I remember watching them when I was younger.

01 and 02 respectively. 02 had a terrible ending where everyone grew up and married the person whose name they drew out of a hat, there was no series where they were adults. I think, Its been 10 years since I've watched the show too.

vvv I legitimately thought they made translation errors the pairings were so out of nowhere.

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 25, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Adventures was the first one, Adventure 02 was the other one, and the ending of 02 had them grown up.

And seriously the ending of 02 was terrible. Even beyond the 'must marry all characters off' thing, it had one of the characters from 02 - Davis was his US name, I forget his JP one - opening a noodle cart because that was his dream. Sure, that works - Davis was characterized as being a really simple little kid, I could see him growing up and being completely happy with just walking around town selling people noodles.

But no, that noodle cart becomes world loving famous and a multi-billion dollar franchise.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 25, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Adventures was the first one, Adventure 02 was the other one, and the ending of 02 had them grown up.

And seriously the ending of 02 was terrible. Even beyond the 'must marry all characters off' thing, it had one of the characters from 02 - Davis was his US name, I forget his JP one - opening a noodle cart because that was his dream. Sure, that works - Davis was characterized as being a really simple little kid, I could see him growing up and being completely happy with just walking around town selling people noodles.

But no, that noodle cart becomes world loving famous and a multi-billion dollar franchise.

That sounds horrible. Wasn't there a Digimon series where a human dude went around beating the stupid out of other Digimon without using one? Was that a thing? Was I tripping in one of those really hazy dreams that happen because your body suddenly hates you? Both?

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Try reading Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa. Here is my lovely endorsement of it from my FKMT thread

You were so right. This one is glorious. The other that was recommended: Beyond the, well... less than savory title, is it non-indicative of the development that happens? Oh well, might as well take a gamble. :ohdear:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wark Say posted:

That sounds horrible. Wasn't there a Digimon series where a human dude went around beating the stupid out of other Digimon without using one? Was that a thing? Was I tripping in one of those really hazy dreams that happen because your body suddenly hates you? Both?

You were so right. This one is glorious. The other that was recommended: Beyond the, well... less than savory title, is it non-indicative of the development that happens? Oh well, might as well take a gamble. :ohdear:

Molester Man? Yeah, the name is pretty misleading, don't worry about it. It's also not a fantastic example, I'd go with my other suggestion first.

The other one I suggested? Not at all misleading, but it's good, people'll back me up on that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Digimon Savers is the one you're thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrHdXHdVJ8w

He has an Agumon, but he spends 90% of his time punching poo poo. It's pretty great.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, change of plans:

• Watching the poo poo of out of the Digimon Savers show because that Agumon kept calling the dude doing the punching-screaming "aniki"; dinosaurs using honorifics and having that no-good punks attitude is rad. Also indiscriminate punching-screaming.
  • Going to read both Kurosawa (which is already a work in process) and the "other one".

You're both beautiful for making this happen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Masturbation Master Kurosawa is one of the best manga I have ever read.

I am being completely serious. It is an amazing series and I don't want to really describe it because I feel like saying much of anything about it is spoilery, but it is an awesome series about incredibly flawed people.

tsuki
Aug 30, 2005
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a completed series to watch with my husband. He liked the Rider/Waver parts of Fate/Zero (He stopped watching it after Rider died.), JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (especially the second part), Gunbuster, Kids on the Slope, Cowboy Bebop, and Rose of Versailles.

Right now we're watching Space Brothers weekly and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I guess a bromance or buddy show with fast-paced action or comedy would be a good fit. Old (80s, 90s) shows are fine.

He didn't like Bacanno! (found it boring) or Bodacious Space Pirates (too many girls).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

tsuki posted:

Right now we're watching Space Brothers weekly and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I guess a bromance or buddy show with fast-paced action or comedy would be a good fit. Old (80s, 90s) shows are fine.

Tiger and Bunny. (I didn't care for it but a lot of people here loved it, and it suits this description perfectly.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, Tiger and Bunny is one of the best shows to come out in recent years and fits that description flawlessly.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I want a few recommendations here.

First, I just read Assassination Classroom and it was amazing. I didn't like the sex-related joke so much, but it was really good everywhere else. Any other series like it, either anime or manga?

Second, I would like it if anyone could recommend a really well animated anime that is just no-nonense adorable. I'd like my heart to bleed.

Finally, I was just wondering what you consider to be the worst anime or manga? I don't actually want to watch or read it obviously, I'm just curious.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

Second, I would like it if anyone could recommend a really well animated anime that is just no-nonense adorable. I'd like my heart to bleed.

Nichijou.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jon Joe posted:

Tamako Market.

Jon Joe posted:

Finally, I was just wondering what you consider to be the worst anime or manga? I don't actually want to watch or read it obviously, I'm just curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWru5o07j_I

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

I think you confused my request for the worst as the the best. There's no way that's really the official dub, right? Somebody voiced over it ala an abridged series?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jon Joe posted:

I think you confused my request for the worst as the the best. There's no way that's really the official dub, right? Somebody voiced over it ala an abridged series?

That is the official dub.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Poor Byston Well. Never had a chance.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jon Joe posted:

Central park media is not known for their stunning dubs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The truly worst of the worst series we are not allowed to speak of on these forums. So there's that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm watching GitS:SAC at the moment, and I was wondering if there was any reason to watch GitS 2: Innocence before this? Are there any major plot points in it that would affect the series? Is it worth watching for its own sake? The premise doesn't seem nearly as interesting as the first, especially since Kusanagi, whose role defined the first movie, doesn't seem to play a part in the sequel at all (I could be wrong about that of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I actually feel like Innocence is a better film overall, but I'm generally in the minority on that, and it's not based on much more than how I felt after watching Ghost in the Shell and Innocence back to back. I'm also a big Oshii dorkus.
There's some references from and cues to Innocence in SAC, but you'll live without knowing them if it's bothering you. I'd say it's worth watching for its own sake though. It's beautiful and the music is excellent as heck.

• Locked thread