Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm just. I can't even begin to imagine how you guys can see how badly Nintendo's approach to marketing and presenting this system has stunted the system's growth worldwide, and respond with "Yeah that's good, they should keep doing this not marketing and presenting thing. They should do even less, actually."

Maybe they can take Nintendo Directs a step further and announce them 60 seconds before they start, and hold them out in the desert where Nintendo fans can wander out like Burning Man and build terrible Mario LED floats.

The blind faith in Iwata drives me nuts.

Yes, he contributed to an era where Nintendo captured an audience no one ever had before and made them a ton of money. That doesn't mean he's infallible and can't make mistakes. A second hosed launch in a row should prove that.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Sony is already releasing consoles that act as Blu-Ray delivery systems so that's exactly their business MO. Nintendo is a toy manufacturer so we'll get consoles next generation as well. But Microsoft? Unless they are married to the Kinect, they should consider just moving their gaming division to their PCs again. Especially if they could sell a "Windows X-Box Surface" that people attach to their tablets to play Halo on the go.

Microsoft are making wayyyyy too much money off of the 360 to get out of the console game at this point.

Random Stranger posted:

A lot of people can't effectively get the benefits of 1080p from their television. We're pretty close to a maximum useful resolution; you'll need absurdly giant screens and sit close to them to do much better.

This is very true. Also, 4k TVS are going to require an absolutely massive jump in graphics card tech to game on. 4x the pixels means you need 4x the power.

Plus we've only recently gotten to the point where a majority of TVs in US households are HD. There's no way 4k will be A Thing in the near future.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Craziest part about it to me is that it's a port of the JAGUAR version.

The Jag/32x/3DO/GBA versions are all based off the same set of changes. At the time the Jag version was really the best port; it was one of the few to retain monster infighting. The SNES port was interesting in that it was developed separately from all the other contemporary ports with a different engine, and as such several levels are much different (generally closer to the PC).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

As I said, they do need to step up their marketing, but the E3 presentations are the wrong thing to throw a shitfit about because they don't reach the part of the playerbase that has dropped off.
I disagree completely. The only people who watch Nintendo Direct are system owners. But there are plenty of people who watch E3 keynotes that are on the fence about buying a system, or are owners of other systems, or are trolls looking for trainwrecks (the main reason I watch), or are people watching on Spike that are completely outside of this bubble. Like another poster said, it's a difference in the millions of people. And if you show a great lineup of software, those people will come out saying "huh maybe I will buy one after all".

Maybe Nintendo feels snakebitten after last year's E3 did not go super great for them, but their presentation was not very good either. They spent a half hour talking about a year old Arkham City port, their games on the showfloor had framerate issues, and they made Nintendoland look like a trip to the dentist (I'm still convinced some Wii U owners avoided Nintendoland because of how bad that presentation was). And Nintendoland's a great fuckin game.

I think E3 is just part of what I think they need to step up their game at. Shrinking away and spending less money on advertising this year is just weird to me. I'd be touring America with kiosks, going on every talk show, buying ads during national sporting events, taking billboards in NYC... some of the things that they did to market the original Wii to the uninitiated that they're clearly not doing now, either because they assumed those people would just show up, or some other unknown reason.

It doesn't have to be fireworks, or syncopated dancers, or a celebrity endorsement. How about just doing what they did last year, but actually having content to show? Last year was really mellow and low-key and low-budget, it was calm and casual, I actually had no issue with the way they did it, there just wasn't anything to show. The only real reason why I can fathom them not going with the same approach this year, is because they still don't have significant content to show. You can't fill an entire E3 keynote with just talking about Wind Waker HD, WIP footage of Smash Bros & Mario Kart, and possibly a main Mario title if it even makes it out this holiday. But you can fill a Nintendo Direct with that paltry amount of content. And that's what I think the real reason ultimately is -- there's still no games, and still no third party support.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 26, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

Microsoft are making wayyyyy too much money off of the 360 to get out of the console game at this point.

But didn't they lose massive money on the 360 hardware for several years before turning a profit? Don't they spend a massive amount of money convincing developers to make games for them? Why couldn't they just turn the PC into their console?

I'm just spitballing here.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

But didn't they lose massive money on the 360 hardware for several years before turning a profit? Don't they spend a massive amount of money convincing developers to make games for them? Why couldn't they just turn the PC into their console?

You live in a fantasy world.

As simple as it is technology scares people and they don't know jack poo poo about building gaming computers or what they're even supposed to have. People are torn apart when they discover their $1000+ macs have the video capabilities of an 80s arcade machine.

Speaking of :10bux: there's still the very hard-to-shake stigma that gaming computers cost a fortune and dim the whole neighborhood when they're turned on. I can get a PC running BF3 smooth for 500~600ish, and with all the money you save on Steam sales and other crazy/free poo poo (and let's not forget the wealth of PC-exclusive f2p games) you make that all back and then some.

It is the most sound investment. America/the public don't like sound long-term, they want immediate gratification. Consoles do that.

(pcmasterrace.txt)

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

PCs are more expensive, the hardware isn't standardized, and they generally aren't conducive to the "take over the living room" thing Microsoft has going on these days.

They have the momentum right now, at least in the states. They're still selling 250k+ 360s a month 7 years in and are probably going to pass the Wii for total console sales in the US by the end of the year. They also have 46 million (something around there) Xbox Live subscribers right now, some of whom may not care to try out or go back to PC gaming.

Also they might be lunatics who are throwing it all away if they pull the always-online bullshit that's been rumored so who knows.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

Also they might be lunatics who are throwing it all away if they pull the always-online bullshit that's been rumored so who knows.

It's going to be interesting to see if they go with that. Especially after how much a flaming pile of death SimCity has turned out to be.

It's nice to see that it seems Nintendo hasn't even thought about it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Crowbear posted:

PCs are more expensive, the hardware isn't standardized, and they generally aren't conducive to the "take over the living room" thing Microsoft has going on these days.

They have the momentum right now, at least in the states. They're still selling 250k+ 360s a month 7 years in and are probably going to pass the Wii for total console sales in the US by the end of the year. They also have 46 million (something around there) Xbox Live subscribers right now, some of whom may not care to try out or go back to PC gaming.

Thanks for mentioning X-box live, I had forgotten to cancel auto-renew. I got it just in time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Somehow I spent a couple hours on that Rayman thing.

How did that happen??

Also in the distance traveled the thing just stops playing around and is out for your blood at 1500 in, like forward pushing wind, hesitate for a fraction of a second and your dead movements, and physics abuse.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwDngBhmQXY

THE YEAR OF LUIGI CONTINUES. LUIGI DOMINATION

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

greatn posted:

I guess it doesn't, video doesn't exist. :v:

Edit: Oh now it does, what the hell...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I guess it doesn't, video doesn't exist. :v:

Edit: Oh now it does, what the hell...

It's probably those darned ghosts' doing!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm just. I can't even begin to imagine how you guys can see how badly Nintendo's approach to marketing and presenting this system has stunted the system's growth worldwide, and respond with "Yeah that's good, they should keep doing this not marketing and presenting thing. They should do even less, actually."

I'm kind of conflicted about it myself. They used to have Space World in addition to E3 and TGS just because of the huge volume of stuff they were constantly publishing. If each of these Nintendo Directs start to be packed with info and announcements instead of one long show of nothing it could be a good idea.

They may also be doing this to avoid embarrassment. Remember this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeR0fL9ofYY

I can't find the clip from the door that really puts it into perspective, but when the Wii was playable for the first time literally EVERYONE for like the first half hour went directly to Nintendo, passing Microsoft and Sony completely by. I have a feeling if Nintendo is there in force this year you'd see the same thing but with people rushing to the XBox 720 and PS4. So reducing E3 to a Microsoft/Sony pissing contest so Nintendo can do its own thing might not be genius, but it may be the "least bad" thing to do.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Having never played Rayman Origins I wasn't sure what to expect for this Legends Trials app. I guess Ubisoft did their job by totally selling me on it. The castle rock level put a huge smile on my face.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Jjaarreett posted:

Having never played Rayman Origins I wasn't sure what to expect for this Legends Trials app. I guess Ubisoft did their job by totally selling me on it. The castle rock level put a huge smile on my face.

You should play Origins! It's really good!

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

The update looks out everywhere now, if you want to get it while its hot.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

greatn posted:

The Year of Luigi is truly panning out to be the greatest year ever.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The update is gonna take an hour and thirty minutes.

:psyduck: the gently caress am I downloading. I've never had this issue before!

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Just to get a clarification, when are the Virtual Console games coming out in the eShop? Is it shortly after this update, or is it on a later date?

vvv Many thanks!

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 26, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

HelloWinter posted:

Just to get a clarification, when are the Virtual Console games coming out in the eShop? Is it shortly after this update, or is it on a later date?

Some time tomorrow.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

So is the update NOT showing up for anyone?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

romanowski posted:

I'm downloading it at the moment. A few minutes ago, it said 50 minutes remaining, but now it's about a quarter of the way through and says 26 minutes remaining.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

It is the most sound investment. America/the public don't like sound long-term, they want immediate gratification. Consoles do that.
It's not quite as simple as you're making it out to be. PCs are a great gaming platform for all the reasons you listed, but there are a lot of variables and uncertainties with an open system. You can have games that run on your computer despite being below the listed minimum spec, and you can handily surpass the minimum spec and still get poor results because the engine soaks up memory like a sponge when running a particular video card. My 3 year old $800 computer can't run Dark Souls while the eight year old Xbox 360 can. To some people the Xbox is self-evidently the better choice.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm kind of conflicted about it myself. They used to have Space World in addition to E3 and TGS just because of the huge volume of stuff they were constantly publishing. If each of these Nintendo Directs start to be packed with info and announcements instead of one long show of nothing it could be a good idea.

They may also be doing this to avoid embarrassment. Remember this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeR0fL9ofYY

I can't find the clip from the door that really puts it into perspective, but when the Wii was playable for the first time literally EVERYONE for like the first half hour went directly to Nintendo, passing Microsoft and Sony completely by. I have a feeling if Nintendo is there in force this year you'd see the same thing but with people rushing to the XBox 720 and PS4. So reducing E3 to a Microsoft/Sony pissing contest so Nintendo can do its own thing might not be genius, but it may be the "least bad" thing to do.
The report I read said that Iwata made a point of identifying the smaller conferences as directed at journalists and distributors. That makes sense to me. One of the biggest problems of the past several E3s (not just for Nintendo, but that's neither here nor there) has been that that they've been interminably dull. They don't generate excitement in the consumers, partiually because they've been caught up in tooting their own horn for investors. Talking up DS/Wii sales and generally gushing about their success?

If the more private, journalist-and-distributor focused press conferences mean more focus on the games and less goddamn charts and statistics? I'm all for it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

romanowski posted:

Instead of using the Download Management page, use the System Settings > Update function. That should get it going. It's possible they haven't sent out the push notification for updates yet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Three minutes left. :f5:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Chronojam posted:

Instead of using the Download Management page, use the System Settings > Update function. That should get it going. It's possible they haven't sent out the push notification for updates yet.

Oh, there it is. Thanks!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Two hours and a half to go. Australian ADSL is the worst goddamned thing.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I'm psyched that there is a unified overscan setting now.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Anybody monitoring their data know the size of the update?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Finish downloading the update. Under your user thing at the beginning, it shows your Nintendo Network ID underneath. Don't remember that being there before. It also lets you know that you can boot straight into Wii mode from powering up by holding the B button on the game pad.

Everything's so much faster now :allears:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Anybody monitoring their data know the size of the update?

I saw a number in the 600's

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
It's 673MB

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow, this update really should been in the launch. So this is all the updates or there still one more next month? I noticed the eShop is closed for the moment so many we won't have to wait until tomorrow to buy Super Mario World.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rirse posted:

Wow, this update really should been in the launch. So this is all the updates or there still one more next month? I noticed the eShop is closed for the moment so many we won't have to wait until tomorrow to buy Super Mario World.
Supposed to be a "summer" update to speed things up further iirc.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I saw a number in the 600's

Crowbear posted:

It's 673MB

Thanks.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

kirbysuperstar posted:

Two hours and a half to go. Australian ADSL is the worst goddamned thing.

I've got an hour to go. I just want to get back to Monster Hunting Rayman challenging Donkey Kong's Crash Coursing :(

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
drat, this update. :stare: That's an impressive speedup.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Edoraz posted:

drat, this update. :stare: That's an impressive speedup.

It's like I downloaded more RAM, but it actually worked!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It crashed on me but when I re-started it, it was at 80% so that's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It crashed on me but when I re-started it, it was at 80% so that's good!

Yep, same. Completed just fine afterwards though.

And yeah, this is much better. I still feel like it could be faster but this is a major improvement, it really should have launched like this.

I also like (read: why the hell did it not do that before) that the screen now fades out when you turn it off, instead of just feeling like it crashed.

• Locked thread