Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Right now I have the following on my "to invite" list:
  • StrictlyButts
  • DJFlomax
  • DoctorFiesta (yeah I justed added you to the list because reasons)
  • Nacho117214 (edit)

If there is anyone else I'm missing let me know.

Edit: added to list

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nacho
Oct 26, 2010
I'd love an invite. Ingame name is Nacho117214.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Nacho posted:

I'd love an invite. Ingame name is Nacho117214.

Send me a message in game with your favorite bond movie and mention the thread then send me a friend request. I'll get you next time we are both online at the same time.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You guys should totally get in the mumble, you're 100% more likely to get invited and have a good time if you do this

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Elliotw2 posted:

You guys should totally get in the mumble, you're 100% more likely to get invited and have a good time if you do this

Nobody is ever on in mumble. :(

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Artificer posted:

Nobody is ever on in mumble. :(

Me and switchbladekult and majorlazer are in the mumble for like 2-3 hours a day.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

Me and switchbladekult and majorlazer are in the mumble for like 2-3 hours a day.

Around what time, EST?

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Artificer posted:

Around what time, EST?

Usually around 7 to 8 until whenever.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

100% of the time that I'm playing I'm also on mumble.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I'll try playing during those times then! :)

Fiddled around with only the parts I had lying around. How workable is this AK?

Edit: And what about an entirely default parts shotgun except with the V2 Folding Stock compared to the Metal Storm premade? It's got a bit less spread but the Metal Storm has dramatically higher reload. Not sure how much that matters though.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 26, 2013

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Artificer posted:

I'll try playing during those times then! :)

[the thing]

Fiddled around with only the parts I had lying around. How workable is this AK?

Good start. That thing, I would rager, is rather fierce. I like the Mod 0 stock. I would suggest trying to boost the damage to the 56 mark and see how you like it. You should be high enough level to rent the SPR1 muzzle and the Rhino barrel for three days for about 1,000 GP. Give them a test drive and see how you like it.

Speaking of gun builds. My latest creation!

It's first test run:

Needs more testing on bigger maps and during prime time hours. The M4X has a distinct advantage of that map and might not be the best testing ground.

Edit:

Artificer posted:

Edit: And what about an entirely default parts shotgun except with the V2 Folding Stock compared to the Metal Storm premade? It's got a bit less spread but the Metal Storm has dramatically higher reload. Not sure how much that matters though.

I normally run Grip + Default + Drum + BRS. You want to perm the grip ASAP. I put the BRS stock on it because I think it looks pretty and has a nice balance of stats. At this point I'm not sure what stat is best on the shotgun. Right now I'm leaning towards lowering the spread and seeing how it plays.

Edit2: Perm the grip and slap your Mod 0 on it. See how it handles and let us know.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 26, 2013

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Right now I have the following on my "to invite" list:
  • StrictlyButts
  • DJFlomax
  • DoctorFiesta (yeah I justed added you to the list because reasons)
  • Nacho117214 (edit)

If there is anyone else I'm missing let me know.

Edit: added to list

I'll email you in a bit too. Been playing on and off for a couple weeks, not sure how I like it but I was thinking it would be more fun with a group.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The BPFA is fantastic if you slap a red dot on it.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Okay, I need some help to make sense of this. The First M4X I posted that has really low spread but high recoil seems really ineffective. The second M4X I posted that has really high spread but low recoil plays like a dream. Can anyone help me understand why? :psyduck:

pre:
DAMAGE		45
SPREAD-AIM	0.20°	RECOIL	4.61°
SPREAD-HIP	0.86°	RANGE	32/82
SPREAD-MOVE	1.88°

DAMAGE		47
SPREAD-AIM	1.18°	RECOIL	3.23°
SPREAD-HIP	2.22°	RANGE	27/77
SPREAD-MOVE	3.68°

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Just curious, but I'm guessing that all the high level guys like Switch and the rest of the goons in the level 30+ party plays BL:R as their main source of video game entertainment? No EVE, no WoW, no Planetside 2, etc. etc.?

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I have found that to be true with a lot of the guns. I do much better with a low recoil AR versus a low spread, but then something like an SMG is easy enough to handle that a low spread makes it hit like a laser.

It is all about finding that happy medium. I suck at the 0 spread BFR, but if I get it around .15 with a low recoil instead I can both hip and ADS fire like crazy with it.

EDIT

Artificer posted:

Just curious, but I'm guessing that all the high level guys like Switch and the rest of the goons in the level 30+ party plays BL:R as their main source of video game entertainment? No EVE, no WoW, no Planetside 2, etc. etc.?

Other than Blacklight I play WoW, GW2, and LoL most of the time.

Geekslinger fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 26, 2013

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Artificer posted:

I used to play LoL but mostly I'm playing BLR and recording Let's Plays of old SNES and GENSIS games and the occasional indie title.

I think you might be right. Tonight I'm going to attempt to split the difference between the two M4X builds I posted. Here is what that would look like:
pre:
DAMAGE		46
SPREAD-AIM	0.70°	RECOIL	3.92°
SPREAD-HIP	1.54°	RANGE	30/80
SPREAD-MOVE	2.78°
I wonder how possible this build is. Build suggestions?

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 26, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Man, getting the MP and the AK really got me all greedy for GP again. With the TSMG and BFSMG it was just get extended mags and the HE grenade and I'll just coast with that build until level 30 or something. But now it's like, gotta buy clothes and poo poo for my gunbarbies... :(

I'm not really complaining though.

Edit: VVVV I suppose that is the point, huh?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 26, 2013

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Artificer posted:

Man, getting the MP and the AK really got me all greedy for GP again. With the TSMG and BFSMG it was just get extended mags and the HE grenade and I'll just coast with that build until level 30 or something. But now it's like, gotta buy clothes and poo poo for my gunbarbies... :(

I'm not really complaining though.

I said that when I was level 15, then at 20, again at 25, etc. You never run out of excuses to spend GP.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I said that when I was level 15, then at 20, again at 25, etc. You never run out of excuses to spend GP.
And even if you do, why, there are always those Hardsuit Pilot camos to collect :devil:

On another note, if anyone ended up with a spare shotgun on the US server, I'll trade them my spare shotgun on the EU server. Alts need love.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

And even if you do, why, there are always those Hardsuit Pilot camos to collect :devil:

On another note, if anyone ended up with a spare shotgun on the US server, I'll trade them my spare shotgun on the EU server. Alts need love.

Sure. I got two spares on the US servers and you are welcome to one of them.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
This game is pretty good about making sure you don't play for too long at a time. I can sit and play for an hour or so, and just as my eyes start to hurt a little, I'll get a guy who covers the map with proxmines, bodyshots you with an incendiary bar, taunts your dead body, then calls in an airstrike while cloaked and firing swarm rockets, and goes 37/0.

Thanks for reminding me to not play this game, LegalizeWeed.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

FrancoFish posted:

This game is pretty good about making sure you don't play for too long at a time. I can sit and play for an hour or so, and just as my eyes start to hurt a little, I'll get a guy who covers the map with proxmines, bodyshots you with an incendiary bar, taunts your dead body, then calls in an airstrike while cloaked and firing swarm rockets, and goes 37/0.

Yeah, for some reason I find this game infinitely more rage inducing than Planetside 2. :v:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Artificer posted:

Yeah, for some reason I find this game infinitely more rage inducing than Planetside 2. :v:

Not so much rage inducing as "*sigh* alt-f4" inducing.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Artificer posted:

That's why I usually only play it with Goons. Even if I'm getting stomped, having other people to talk to tends to make me rage less.

But yeah this game can be infuriating if you're playing by yourself.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

FrancoFish posted:

taunts your dead body

Haha, that reminds me of some level 40 I ran into last night, on the other team he said during intermission 'Oh look how cute these kids are taunting'. Next game I end up on his team and we win, although his score is 14-10 and mine is 22-8. I just mash T all intermission. Good times.

But yeah, all games like this should be played in short bursts!

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Artificer posted:

I play tons of Planetside 2. I have a guy about to hit 74 in that game.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Okay, I need some help to make sense of this. The First M4X I posted that has really low spread but high recoil seems really ineffective. The second M4X I posted that has really high spread but low recoil plays like a dream. Can anyone help me understand why?
Think about "spread" as creating a disk on your target, and shots can hit anywhere inside that disk. You aim by moving that disk around the target; the more of the target that's covered by the disk, the more likely you are to get a hit with any particular shot. A larger disk doesn't matter so much, so long as your're good enough to keep your aimpoint near the center of the target.

Which is where recoil comes in. What I understand about the current recoil system is that every shot you fire kicks your aimpoint in some random direction, and the amount of kick is determined by your recoil value. And the key point here is that recoil isn't affected by spread--so if you have a low spread but a high recoil, then you might end up in a situation where you start out with 100% of your "shot disk" on target, but the recoil is so huge that it pushes the disk off the target completely.

I have constructed a visual aid:

The pink disk represents the spread; the shot can hit anywhere in that disk. The black dot represents the aimpoint; this is the actual spot the crosshair is pointing at. Left is the first shot, Right is the second shot.

As you can see, "High Spread / Low Recoil" starts out with the potential to miss the first shot. However, the second shot still has a lot of the disk covering the target; in fact, your second shot is about as likely to hit as your first was.

However, while "Low Spread / High Recoil" starts out with 100% of the disk on target, the second shot is almost certain to miss.

"So wait, you're saying that a higher spread is better? Why don't I just make guns with insane spreads and guarantee that I'll always have some of that disk thingie on my target?" Because you don't always engage an enemy at close range who's just standing in the open. I drew the relative sizes of these disks just to show my point; it's possible that the disk would be *so* big that the target only takes up a small percentage of it. Similarly, if you're shoot at someone in cover, then instead of a whole body you might only have a head to shoot at.

Note that this is why tapfiring with a low-spread AR is so awesome; because you give yourself time between shots to re-aim after the recoil kicks your aimpoint around.

Miss-Bomarc fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 26, 2013

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Speaking of frustration, having 2 or more snipers on the other team with AMRs can be really annoying. You know it's not a good gun. You know they aren't playing that well. But when you die to random bodyshots from nowhere over and over, it's not fun, especially considering the discrepancy in visible hitboxes: someone peeking over a chest-high wall has like their head and tops of the shoulders showing, tops, and you have to land maybe 3-5 bullets on that depending on your loadout, while they can see your whole hitbox, have a big zoom, and just need to land 1 shot on you anywhere.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

CapitanGarlic posted:

It's a weird gun. I haven't had much success ADS-ing with it because it seems to lower the fire rate (or maybe I have a tumor and I'm making that up, but it certainly handles differently) - so aiming I only do to get one, maybe two shots off on someone at medium range. Generally I prefer to hip fire it at close range, where it behaves somewhere between the regular Revolver and the Shotgun. It's got a fast enough fire rate that if you're hugging the other guy you can just unload, but if you pace your shots it's not too awful hard to land a few headshots in a row.

Besides, "[player] shot [player2] dead +Snub260" Is probably my favorite kill notification to date.

It's a single-action revolver. When you're hipfiring, you're doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgav7mNzIYo

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

FrancoFish posted:

It gets better. Nothing wrong with leaving and finding a different server, too. Better to leave a bad game and lose a little time than get angry and ruin all of your fun. Just remember that even if you lose you win because you are a GOON and that's how we roll.

That's a great way to think about it! Thanks for putting it into a better perspective. The only thing I'd say is the remark "every shot you fire kicks your aim point in some random direction" is incorrect. It is not random. The severity (distance the aim point will move) is determined by the recoil stat. The aim point moves along a static pattern moving the same direction (determined by the pattern) after each bullet. I love the way you explained the rest, though. I understood the mechanics but could never put it into practical terms like this. I think we should add some or all of this to the OP. I should probably incorporate this into a revised version of my chart.

I think what I need to do is find another stock that gives better recoil reduction without tanking speed too badly, drop in a well balanced mix of spread, damage, and speed muzzle/barrel combo. Copperhead + Jurisdiction + Collapsible? Not sure I’m happy with that. Maybe I'll try out the SMR01 and some other parts I've neglected up until today. I think the biggest challenge is trying to keep the speed over 9 without cranking up the recoil.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 26, 2013

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

Artificer posted:

Ask me about waves and time independent quantum mechanics.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Artificer posted:

I shoot mens in-game so that I don't shoot them in real life. :cop:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SwitchbladeKult posted:

It gets better. Nothing wrong with leaving and finding a different server, too. Better to leave a bad game and lose a little time than get angry and ruin all of your fun. Just remember that even if you lose you win because you are a GOON and that's how we roll.

Oh, I've been playing this for quite a while. I have a blast with it, and then someone ruins it and I have to stop. It's all good.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Artificer posted:

I raid 3 nights a week and play this on my off nights other than friday. Friday i play the get drunk game. I also play FIFA but haven't in a while. I have 50 funbux for ps2 from nvidia not sure if i want another money sink though.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

swatjr posted:

I raid 3 nights a week and play this on my off nights other than friday. Friday i play the get drunk game. I also play FIFA but haven't in a while. I have 50 funbux for ps2 from nvidia not sure if i want another money sink though.
If you don't want your funbux for PS2 I'm still playing with some buddies and wouldn't mind getting more funbux.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Heavy GOONtact on all servers!

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Facebook posted:

Agents, redeem this free code today for a free 1-day Mauler premade Heavy Pistol! YSYPB16
http://blacklight.perfectworld.com/redeem

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Heavy GOONtact on all servers!

7:11 KDR :c00lbutt:
Too bad the Veteran taunt isn't more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Artificer posted:

Level 35, currently - I started playing the week it came out of beta, so I clearly don't spend as much time on it as a lot of folks do, but three-four matches a day on average and I chug along just fine. Really want to hit forty soon though, arrgh

Really, though, my "ehhh that's enough for today" point tends to come when I go like 2-16 on a map against a team of people using almost identical, boring loadouts. Come on, guys, if you're going to kill me have the decency to use something more interesting than the AR, I mean really. Yes, it's effective, but I can't help but think that style is the most important stat. :colbert:

• Locked thread