Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Well, why not.

I have zero issues making Brandon Dubinsky my #2 Centre.

Solid in the dot, in the right age range. Sounds good. Underachieving for a couple of years, I think the intense scrutiny of the Saddledome is just what this feller needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I seriously thought he was picked. I probably would've taken him instead of Hanzal if I weren't mistaken there.

I'm dumb.

Chairman Wao/Tampa Bay Lightning, you're up.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
I really like Dubinsky but GDT posters had serious reservations when he was put on the 2nd line. It's why I didn't take him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He passes the first rule of scouting: attractive girlfriend.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Dubinsky rules and people have reservations because he isn't always in rage/beast mode. He gets in the faces of superstars like no other, for fucks sake, Ovechkin even started a fight with him once.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Man seeing Tarasenko and Jo Bro drop so far makes me think I could have waited another round or two to take Yakupov and Hamilton. I seriously thought about taking Tarasenko over Williams and just running team HF.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

A flurry of picks until the dude right in front of me

chairman waooooooooooooooooooo

(i realize it's been like 20 minutes)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Bernier and Dubinsky are questionable imo given other players still on the board. I don't hate those picks, but I definitely prefer other guys out there at 2C and 1G.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

eXXon posted:

Man seeing Tarasenko and Jo Bro drop so far makes me think I could have waited another round or two to take Yakupov and Hamilton. I seriously thought about taking Tarasenko over Williams and just running team HF.

Hamilton wouldn't have made it past me.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Oh also I thought James brodin was an actor so that shows you my ~east coast bias~ and makes you all sad that you can't sucker me in trades because I am awful at this

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I know I'm up in a few picks, if these happen quickly and I'm up soon, I'll probably wake up in 12-13 hours, but I haven't sorted out the guys I had on the radar and had a really crappy day so I'm not up for scouting five slots out and my beer intake is about to increase rapidly. Assume that as of 45 minutes after this post, I'll be my avatar and want to pick him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

I would have taken Dougie instead of Schultz if had been paying attention to the board. I don't get why Tarasenko fell so far but works for me so OK.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

T-Bone posted:

Bernier and Dubinsky are questionable imo given other players still on the board. I don't hate those picks, but I definitely prefer other guys out there at 2C and 1G.

If you've got PMs, I'd like to hear the other guys you like for 1G.

vvvvv I don't think he's quite as good as Jordin Tootoo.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 27, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think the reservations people had about Dubinsky involve him scoring 11 goals in his last 114 games going back to the start of '10-'11, that is a veritable Alaskan performance.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

If you've got PMs, I'd like to hear the other guys you like for 1G.

If you want a young maybe starter there are two guys top of mind who have better numbers at every stage of their careers, are younger, and have about as much NHL experience.

E: I don't like Bernier. He has been the next big thing for a very long time.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 27, 2013

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
pick AHL goaltenders to start for your team, goaltender is the least important position.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

eXXon posted:

I think the reservations people had about Dubinsky involve him scoring 11 goals in his last 114 games going back to the start of '10-'11, that is a veritable Alaskan performance.

A significant part of that was that his role on the Rangers was primarily defensive - his great defensive play and strong faceoff performance as well as an offensive slump quickly led Torts to keep him in the depth, since him and Boyle were solid defensive players who could grind and they had Stepan and Richards on the top lines. It's tough to beat out Richards and Stepan, and Dubi ended up being used a lot as a role player for faceoffs, as Boyle took the third line role, and of the depth guys last year, Prust was the best one and he was more or less permanently on Boyle's left wing, with Feds on the right.

While he certainly isn't an offensive superpower, Dubi is excellent defensively, very reliable on faceoffs, quite physical, and he matches up to superstars very well, evidenced by Ovi and Crosby getting into shoving matches (and even a fight) with him. Still, put him on a first or second line with talented guys and he can put up 40-50 points in a year, which is pretty strong with the weaker offensive numbers put up in the NHL right now, and really good for a guy who can play a defensive role with no problems.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What I got out of that is that Dubinsky wasn't as good as Prust.

Sounds like a second line center to me!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Jordan7hm posted:

What I got out of that is that Dubinsky wasn't as good as NAME REDACTED

Sounds like a second line center to me!

ya broke the rule buddy :mad:

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I'm a Calgary fan, I am used to second line centres who score 20 points a season. At least this guy isn't Blair Jones (who I can say because if any of you pick him you should just quit the imaginary draft).

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Great pick with Tarasenko. That's the first pick where I legitimately forgot about a player. I'm sure it'll happen lots more as we get deeper into the draft, but I have a list of 50-60 so second liners/top 4 D/great prospects and I didn't even put him on it.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I thought it was my turn but nope it's still not

Guess I'll get to pick in the morning? I guess I can PM a list to IANSS...

(i'm not going to bed for a little while tho)

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There's a guy I can't believe hasn't been taken yet. There's no chance he makes it to me, but drat.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Paulocaust posted:

There's a guy I can't believe hasn't been taken yet. There's no chance he makes it to me, but drat.

Man there's like two dozen guys like this still around, all depending on everyone's perspective.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?

Paulocaust posted:

I have a list of 20 defensemen for my next few rounds, and 1-5 on there are all great players.

Unless you're talking about a certain gold medalist, stanley cup winning, french-canadian goalie, in which case yeah why hasn't anyone taken him?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Unless you're talking about a certain gold medalist, stanley cup winning, french-canadian goalie, in which case yeah why hasn't anyone taken him?

By my count there are at least 2 that fit this description!!

I am still very unsure about my next pick :ohdear: I don't know western conference dudes at all but in my research I'm seeing a lot of them

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
With our 7th round pick and what feels like it just might be the millionth overall the Tampa Bay Lightning select...

Kyle Okposo
Position: RW
Cap hit: $2,800,000 through 2015-2016

I decided to keep the team young with this pick, almost going with another player, but deciding he'd probably already peaked. We needed a right winger, and while he might not be a top level talent now, we're hoping he can figure it out in the next year or two.

E: Sorry I just staggered in from work, I'm kinda tired. I'll give a more in depth explanation later. Probably.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm going to take Ales Hemsky. I like that he's 29. I'm not crazy about his $5M cap hit, but it expires after next year (2013-14)

e: my team

Perron - Plekanec - Purcell
- Couture - Hemsky

Seabrook - Letang

(not necessarily reflective of final line combos)

myron cope fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 27, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There are no obvious "wow can't believe he hasn't gone!" guys on my board. Just varying degrees of complimentary top six guys and solid top four d-men. I like some of the young goalies still out there (more than Bernier actually), but none of them are guarantees.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

myron cope posted:

I'm going to take Ales Hemsky

Hemsky's a good pick for here if you have the cap room. He was on my shortlist for forwards.

e: Verv's up, then did Zodjdgfsgh send a list or what?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dunno, alex steen i guess

reasons: always seems to score against the canucks i guess he does it everywhere else too

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Steen was the next forward on my board. Good contract, good player, still in his prime. Like.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
very strong pick Verviticus.. I strongly considered taking Steen with each of my last 3 selections.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I guess that makes my team

burr - o'reilly - x
steen - pavelski - x

keith - r
garrison - r

schneider

keith and garrison can easily pair up to run 29 minutes a night against one line teams since garrisons been so drat good on the right side

wouldn't brodin look so good one one of those pairings :sigh:

edit: really shows i went for defence/goalie first. ugh

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Nothing wrong with taking an excellent backstop. Defence is a prime concern to deal with when not able to secure elite scoring talent.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The New York Rangers are proud to select Kyle Turris. Age 23 with plenty of offensive upside, leading scorer on a team that literally caught fire this year and ground to a halt while he managed to not be sidelined with an injury from burns or flaming wreckage. Ottawa was not the right place for him to fill out physically and toughen up on the puck. He's on pace for ~50 points in a full season with a team who has been on defensive lockdown and had most offensive threats in the garage for repairs this year.

Glad to add this young man as a #2 center.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

With the final pick of the 7th round the Columbus Blue Jackets are proud to select:

Patrik Berglund

A rangy centre with a wicked shot, Patrik Berglund is often overlooked on a very deep St. Louis Blues team. Not really a power forward despite his size, he's emerged as a two way threat in recent years. A north/south goalscoring centre, he's not a very adept passer of the puck and is more valuable lined up with more highly skilled wingers or stationed in front of the net on the PP.

He'll be called upon to act as either a 2nd or 3rd line centre depending on circumstance perfectly complementing Bergeron down the middle of my lineup. As he's still only 24 years old so with a bit more responsibility I could see him breaking out beyond the 20g 20a niche he's carved for himself in recent years and proving himself to be a top tier 2nd line centre.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

The New York Rangers are proud to select Kyle Turris. Age 23 with plenty of offensive upside, leading scorer on a team that literally caught fire this year and ground to a halt while he managed to not be sidelined with an injury from burns or flaming wreckage. Ottawa was not the right place for him to fill out physically and toughen up on the puck. He's on pace for ~50 points in a full season with a team who has been on defensive lockdown and had most offensive threats in the garage for repairs this year.

Glad to add this young man as a #2 center.

Turris is an awesome pick.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Onto round 8!

The Columbus Blue Jackets are proud to select

Mark Giordano

The best defenceman on a woeful Flames squad, Giordano is still an excellent player. A great passer with a good shot, he is an excellent puck moving defenceman that repeatedly logs top pairing minutes. He's been the only constant on a slowly dismantled Flames back end, and in recent years has been asked to move away from his attacking role into more of a shutdown position, something that he's done without complaint. He's likely in over his head as a #1 defenceman, he's still an excellent 2nd pairing player that can play any role asked of him. A first choice PP and PK player for a (surprisingly) good Flames special teams, his versatility make him impossible to pass up on. Couple that with a sweetheart contract ($4M a season until 15/16) and I'm amazed he fell as far as he did.

The Flames have the 10th best PP and 11th best PK. Who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

You guys are killing me here.

• Locked thread