Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Timid posted:

Just a silly question but, is there a reason that the new Animal Crossing is priced at 35 instead of the usual $40?

Lower cost of entry and to apologize for NoA horrendous choices of 3ds colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Cromlech posted:

Anybody have any tips to clear dust from the corners of the bottom screen? It seems tough because its raised, I can't get most of it no matter what I do (short of using a sharper thing, which would suck). Any tips besides "shoulda got a screen protector dude"? I have an obsession with cleaning my handheld device's screen weekly because my PSP's triangle button eventually poo poo the bed because of what I assumed to be dust buildup within the system (seriously, that thing had a loooot of crevices that were very dust friendly).

With the 3DS off, use a Q-tip, but slowly twist while you run it over the edges. This has worked for both my DS and 3DS. if you get filaments of the Q-tip stuck under the frame/border, you are doing it harder than necessary.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Timid posted:

Just a silly question but, is there a reason that the new Animal Crossing is priced at 35 instead of the usual $40?

Personally I hope it's a price experiment, and if it sells well, maybe other new games will start being 34.99? Hey, five bucks is five bucks.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mystery Dungeon is $35 but it has a lot of DLC. Of which I've bought a bunch and don't really see the point of due to grinding the request board not using any of it and that seems to be what the game wants you to do.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

OK so, the buttons on my 3DS are acting up, after a little bit of playing they'll stop working at random. Rather than sending it off for repairs, I'd like to just go ahead and upgrade to an XL. Problem being that I've got stuff I bought from the eshop on there that I'd rather not lose. So, I'm guessing that I can't re-download those games on a new 3DS, even if they're linked to my Nintendo Club account. So that leaves me with the option of a system transfer. Thing of it is, I'd like to trade in the old 3DS towards the new one, so that's not really an option. Would Gamestop allow me to do the system transfer in the store? Has anyone here done that?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

OK so, the buttons on my 3DS are acting up, after a little bit of playing they'll stop working at random. Rather than sending it off for repairs, I'd like to just go ahead and upgrade to an XL. Problem being that I've got stuff I bought from the eshop on there that I'd rather not lose. So, I'm guessing that I can't re-download those games on a new 3DS, even if they're linked to my Nintendo Club account. So that leaves me with the option of a system transfer. Thing of it is, I'd like to trade in the old 3DS towards the new one, so that's not really an option. Would Gamestop allow me to do the system transfer in the store? Has anyone here done that?

When the 3DS XL came out, a lot of people were claiming that yes some Gamestop's were allowing people to do the system transfer in store. I think you need an internet connection to do the system transfer though, so that may be an issue.

Edit: I think some people even said they bought the 3DS XL and took it home and did the transfer, then went back and had their transaction adjusted to reflect the trade-in cost of the origianl 3DS.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Where the hell is Professor Layton x Ace Attorney? They really need to get that game out before the new Layton/AA games drop.
I'm not convinced it's coming to America. That's a major translation job that'd have to be collaborated between Level 5 and Capcom, one of whom had disappointing sales from the latest Layton, the other of whom chose not to release Ace Attorney Investigations 2 because they didn't even expect to make back the paltry money spent on adapting it.

I think Capcom is relatively hopeful that AA5 will do okay as a niche title in America, but AAI and this Layton crossover are niche within niche. Does Level 5 think Layton fans in America will want a game that detours away from brainteasers to have zany visual novel court sessions? I'm not so sure. They DID bring Guild001 to America, but that wasn't a retail title.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 27, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think Capcom is relatively hopeful that AA5 will do okay as a niche title in America, but AAI and this Layton crossover are niche within niche. Does Level 5 think Layton fans in America will want a game that detours away from brainteasers to have zany visual novel court sessions? I'm not so sure. They DID bring Guild001 to America, but that wasn't a retail title.

To point out how niche AAI is, a Capcom rep said that it sold less in a month than Okamiden sold in a week.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Canadian Goons looking to upgrade to the 3DS XL, Futureshop has it for sale for 150 CAD.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/nintendo-3ds-consoles/30201.aspx

Should be able to price match it at Best Buy for 145 + Tax.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Coming from a lot of Monster Hunter recently, I just finished the story of Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins. It was my first Lego video game and I really enjoyed it. I think the reviews don't do it justice and they compare it to the Wii U version too mich. Here's my take on the common points of the current online reviews:

- Sure, it's easy, but it has lots of charm and it does feel like a big and detailed world for a Nintendo handheld.

- The frame rates are so and so. It's mainly during the driving that the frame rate goes down, but those sequences don't require much precision so it was never an issue.

- The fog never bothered me and I could always see as far as I needed to. The pop-up of objects certainly feels weird, but it's not game breaking.

- The fighting is simple and fluid, and while there are lots of fights, you can mostly get through them quickly (e.g. by throwing goons off rooftops).

- The loading times are indeed long, but you usually stay inside one area for a while, so you don't really run into loading screens until you finish all missions in one area.

I think it's a great effort for a 3DS game and if you haven't played the Wii U Lego Undercover then it's definitely a good game to play through and sell again. I wouldn't download it off the eShop, unless you are a completionist and want to find all the tons of outfits, vehicles and other goodies. The story took me almost eight hours to finish and I only discovered 26% of the items, so there is still a lot search around for. I'm not sure how long I'll still play, but there are some areas that I definitely want to revisit.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

ImpAtom posted:

To point out how niche AAI is, a Capcom rep said that it sold less in a month than Okamiden sold in a week.

It'd have sold more if Apollo Justice didn't exist.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How is the camera on the 3DS XL? I don't care about the megapixels or anything, I'm just wondering if it's fun to use, and if the 3D effect is nifty. I'm easy to please.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I never get any streetpasses where I live, but I took my 3DS XL with me to Toronto today and walked around for most of the afternoon and got like ten. I felt so lucky! One person had a fire emblem team and I should get a few guild cards for MH3U.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Die Laughing posted:

How is the camera on the 3DS XL? I don't care about the megapixels or anything, I'm just wondering if it's fun to use, and if the 3D effect is nifty. I'm easy to please.

It's fun due to being 3D and a neat toy but its a fraction of a megapixel so not too practical.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Die Laughing posted:

It's fun for a "hey look at this this is pretty interesting" but it's still just two bad cellphone camera strapped to the outside and a decent cellphone camera in the inside, Get an actual camera if you want to take pictures, though it is pretty nifty reading QR codes and crap so I'm glad they added in the crappy cellphone cameras.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Katana Gomai posted:

The names for potential DQM2 remakes have been trademarked in Japan. Two more games that won't be released in the west, huzzah! :suicide:

These are the best news, especially since they appear to be making it into one single game instead of having the multiple versions bullshit like Pokémon. DQMT3D was an amazingly addictive, polished and fun game. I look forward to adventures in the kingdom of Malta, and will hopefully put together a much less lovely party when entering this second game with a grasp of the system.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

The 3D effect is pretty cool, and it is heck of fun to share photos with people in Swapnote. The camera sucks as people have said but there's not really any other accessible ways to take 3D pictures.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

The 3D effect is pretty cool, and it is heck of fun to share photos with people in Swapnote. The camera sucks as people have said but there's not really any other accessible ways to take 3D pictures.

There are 3d cameras and phones too that take much better pictures.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said accessible. That 3D phone sucks and the cameras are still more expensive than a 3DS.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is there a consensus on the best XL grip? I'm about to order the DreamGear XL Comfort Grip but figured I'd check with the goons first. The only other option I've found is the NERF grip sold at Gamestop.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 28, 2013

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Woohoo! Went to target and got Zelda for $24 down from $69! Not gouged on price in Australia for once (feel free to tell me its $10 in the states)!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If I could find it for $10 I would own three copies.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

Woohoo! Went to target and got Zelda for $24 down from $69! Not gouged on price in Australia for once (feel free to tell me its $10 in the states)!

It's still $40 here.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You can't even really find one used. When I bought my 3DS a couple months ago I assumed there'd be a zillion of them at GameStop for like $20 since it was a launch title but nope. Ended up just buying it at retail since nowhere in town had a used copy. Even if they did it would have been only about $5 cheaper than a new one.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

big mean giraffe posted:

It's still $40 here.

Even used, cartridge copies are going for $29-34.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
bestbuy.com has them pre-owned for $25. I actually just got a copy of Zelda 3D today from them about five hours ago.

You just have to check the site a few times a day, I found mine after a few days. Only thing is, there's no guarantee they'll come with a box or manual (they just give you a generic case with the game title printed on the sides). I've gotten both the majority of the time though, and so far everything has been in great condition. They even shrink-wrap the game like a retail title, which is a nice touch.

You'll also never get a Nintendo Club insert, of course.

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 28, 2013

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I'm tempted to buy a new 3DS game, just not sure which one. I've had the system for over a year and the only 3ds game I have is Tales of the Abyss. Kind of leaning towards Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey IV or SMT: Soul Hackers. Any suggestions as to which one to pick?

I've never really gotten into the Fire Emblem series, though. I never used to like the whole party members permanently die thing. I did enjoy the previous EO games (but didn't try 3), and I've enjoyed all the SMT games I've played as well. Also was kind of leaning towards EO and SMT because they've still got the collector's editions with the CD in stock at the same price as the regular version.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
You can disable the permanent death in the newest Fire Emblem.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

EO4 or Fire Emblem. Soul Hackers is kinda fun, but fairly dated, and EO4 is definitely the better dungeon crawler.

Personally, Fire Emblem is more to my tastes, but that's me.

e: Or just get all three!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ihatepants posted:

I've never really gotten into the Fire Emblem series, though. I never used to like the whole party members permanently die thing. I did enjoy the previous EO games (but didn't try 3), and I've enjoyed all the SMT games I've played as well. Also was kind of leaning towards EO and SMT because they've still got the collector's editions with the CD in stock at the same price as the regular version.

If you like all the SMT games you've played definitely get Soul Hackers. It's an interesting point in the franchise as it's one of the last games to have a lot of the older installments' stuff while still pushing the style and presentation forward.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ihatepants posted:

I'm tempted to buy a new 3DS game, just not sure which one. I've had the system for over a year and the only 3ds game I have is Tales of the Abyss. Kind of leaning towards Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey IV or SMT: Soul Hackers. Any suggestions as to which one to pick?

FE:A is my first real Fire Emblem (though I played the free Ambassador one for 5-10 minutes and can't count it as my first FE-experience given the small amount of time I spent with it), and I absolutely love it. It's great, you don't have to play it with permadeath if you don't want, and it's a very dense game.

If you go with SMT and still want an SRPG for a little more money, look into Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. It's cheap and made by the dude who made X-COM.

Edited for clarification. Play all Fire Emblems.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 28, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

FE:A is my first real Fire Emblem (I played the free Ambassador one for 5-10 minutes),

That's a real Fire Emblem game. One of the best, in fact.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

"Real" as in the first FE game I've actually attempted to play. I didn't mean that the Ambassador one wasn't up to snuff, just that despite having played that one first, Awakening is the first real FE experience I've had, because it's the first one I spent more than fifteen minutes on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Eh, I would say that the first GBA one is a lot better, both as an introduction and as a game. I love almost all FE tho' so my opinion is biased.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What's the general advice for maintaining the health of the battery in your console?
Googling seems to offer conflicting advice, some say it's OK to play the console with the A/C in all the time and it won't affect it, others say just charge it when the battery is close to drained but playing it while it's on A/C while charging is OK, playing it on A/C while it's at 100% is bad.

Or is it generally not worth worrying about because you can get replacement batteries for reasonable prices at places?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Aurain posted:

What's the general advice for maintaining the health of the battery in your console?
Googling seems to offer conflicting advice, some say it's OK to play the console with the A/C in all the time and it won't affect it, others say just charge it when the battery is close to drained but playing it while it's on A/C while charging is OK, playing it on A/C while it's at 100% is bad.

Or is it generally not worth worrying about because you can get replacement batteries for reasonable prices at places?

Yeah, in a product where the battery is easily replaced, my attitude is to give fewer shits than I normally do when protecting batteries. However, Nintendo did release the product with the suspend feature and an easy-charging dock, so it seems like they intend the 3DS to be always-on and usually-charging.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Timid posted:

It's not a (real) game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOA's priced a few first-party games at $35 recently... I thik Pokemon Mystery Dungeon was another one, off the top of my head.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is it just me or can we not save game in the Fire Emblem demo? (European version)

Loving the game though. Definitely one to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Is it just me or can we not save game in the Fire Emblem demo? (European version)

Loving the game though. Definitely one to buy.

I don't believe FE is one of the ones you can save transfer. Pokemon and Etrian Odyssey are but not FE.

• Locked thread