Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Val Aman, Val Setin

Octagon nods to Elkud. "I am pleased to see you are eager to serve. Your task will be to oversee production of more Transformative Toxin and prepare the next city for conversion. Spread my word. I would also like news on just how much the outside world is aware of what has happened here. The smaller villages will be left as a food source for the time being. I'll create and assign additional operatives to you, to use as you see fit. I am granting you broad agency to do what you think best, but do not take any unnecessary risks; you are more important to me alive."

-----Later-----

Octagon arrives at the church where the corpses of three Arrani smolder. Well, that's drat peculiar. But there was something else... something here.

A Conversation posted:

<Rhjamiz> Octagon sort of turns in place as he surveys the church, scanning high and low for the presence he's not felt since... well, ever. The motion of his multitude of legs is probably somewhat unsettling for mere humans to witness. "I can feel you... come out, come out..."

<epicurius> Octagon sees a figure come out of the shadows. An old man in robes and a thin beard. An easterner from Eisos by the looks of him. "Greetings, spider creature. I bid you welcome to this place."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon crosses his arms and peers down at the old man, head half-cocked. "Strictly speaking, the church belongs to me. And you are not one of mine. You're new. How did you get here?"

<epicurius> "Into this church? I walked. I had had a conversation with the priest of this place yesterday, and since then, have been wandering around the town. I happened to hear the speech you gave at the palace. Quite interesting. Might I say, you're a good speaker."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon raises an eyebrow. "And where is this priest now? Dead, I hope."

<epicurius> The old man raises an eyebrow. "We came to an understanding, and he went elsewhere. I hope that is not a problem."
<epicurius> "I am Beltheus, mighty Lord. And who do I have the honor of addressing?"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon gives the priest a moments thought. "I am Octagon, the... Spider Lord." He pauses oddly. "But you are not merely Beltheus and nothing more, else either I or one of my children would be dining on your innards. Nor would I feel your presence as plainly as I do."

<epicurius> "Yes", Beltheus says. "This is unusual. I have never been in the presence of someone like myself before, although I have heard tell of others like us. Tell me, Spider Lord, were you once human until you encountered something...greater? Something that made you like unto a god?"

<Rhjamiz> The gears in Octagon's mind begin turning. Inaudibly. "I was once merely human, yes, before I became something more. And so you are another such being. I presume your gifts are more subtle."

<epicurius> Beltheus. . .ripples. The robes seem to fold into his skin, and the skin begins swelling. He begins to grow, so that he seems large, even in the vaulted cathedral. His teeth lengthen into fangs, and muscles begin to show on his arms, legs and chest, under a skin that has turned into a blotched red and black. From his back, giant wings sprout, looking as if a bat mated with a butterfly.
<epicurius> From his foreheard, horns grow, curling around like the horns of a ram, and his eyes become pinpricks of flame in the middle of darkness. "More subtle. Yes. More subtle. I like that."
<epicurius> "What is it you want, Lord Octagon? What do you desire?"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon watches the transformation with suspicion. "That certainly inspires trust and confidence...," he chortles. "I desire what I desire, and nothing less. For the moment, that will remain my secret. Why do you ask?"

<epicurius> With a quick twist, Beltheus is back to being a robed man. "Merely that I hope we share interests. Common goals, or at least that it benefits us both to work together. There are those....curious about my activities. Individuals I believe share the same traits we do. They may prove troublesome."
<epicurius> "And I believe that they will prove troublesome to you as well."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon pinches the bridge of his nose in both thought and mild exasperration. "So you... fled? to my city, then. To avoid prying eyes. And now you may have brought them here." He sighs. "So, an alliance, then. Of mutual benefit." He peers down at the 'old man' in contemplation. "And what is it you desire?"

<epicurius> "I did not....flee. I travelled here to establish a place of safety so that if I had to flee, I could. And as for what I desire, I desire that these other individuals be dissuaded from their task"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon's brow creases in thought. "I see. Very well, you may stay here for the time being. Though my condition for the time being is that you do not interfere with or alter my children. They are mine. I am sure you can understand my position on this, yes?"

<epicurius> "If they attack me, I will defend myself. However, I will try not to kill them without cause."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon gives Bel a look. "Admirable, but not at all what I meant. As I think you well know. If we are to combine forces, it will be toward future endevors."

<epicurius> "Indeed"
<epicurius> "Most endeavors are future ones, I have found."

<Rhjamiz> "Indeed." Octagon nods. "As long as we understand one another."

<epicurius> "I hope we do. Do you plan to create a spider army to, what, take over the world?"

<Rhjamiz> "For the moment I merely intend to carve out my own part of it. Perhaps most of Val Aman. A nation for our kind. Beyond that... well, one step at a time. One must build a solid foundation, after all."

<epicurius> "Well, you know your business, I suppose."
<epicurius> "At any rate. I suppose you have things to do. Feel free to call on me if you need some help."

<Rhjamiz> "Perhaps I shall. And what do you hope to gain, besides an ally against those who seek you... what plans do they hope to disrupt?"

<epicurius> "Why, everyone needs friends." He smiles. "Lets just say that there are people who don't appreciate the generosity of others"

Octagon is hardly naive enough to believe that Beltheus merely wishes to be friends. But at the same time, surely Beltheus realizes that Octagon would be a formidable enemy. As is true of the reverse. And so the bargain is struck.

"Very well, then. A pact of mutual cooperation it is."

I name my people Arrani. The adjective shall be Arranian.

I am giving Elkud the following orders; help make more Transformation Toxin, pick a city and commence conversion. Spread the word of the Spider Lord. Send back news of the outside. General operations, basically. He's free to do as he deems necessary.

In the meantime, I am going to gather a small group of willing Arrani who wish to serve and turn them into Operatives (Mimic Spiders) and put them at the disposal of Elkud. Transformation [+2] and Spider-Lord [+2] should apply.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
Rathin Stonewill: The Sun Plains.

Breathing in the fresh air, Rathin smiled. It was good to be back on the plains, but something was very wrong with this place. He stopped walking and waited for Vek to catch up.

Vek was one of the first to join him in his journey and had fully taken on the form of the Orc. “This place, Vek, it's wrong.”

“Wrong?”

“Yes, in the plains there are some oaises, sure, but this is far to lush. Look there!” Rathin points to the pool of water in the center, “These beasts are normally scrounging for food at this time, and now there is a full feast ready for them. Make sure none of the others touch anything.”

There was something unnatural about this place, and Rathin was very worried about taking food so neatly presented. He picked up one of the fruits from the ground and sniffed it, then cutting it open and running his finger along it checking for any change.

Soon after, he drops it and before approaching the pool he examines the various animals using it from afar. How does the beast think of these things?

Rathin wants to find out what's weird about this area. He's going to look for anything else abnormal about here by examining, touching, and smelling, the fruits and plants, and observing the beasts.

He tells his companions not to touch anything so that nothing is disterbed.

Heart of the Tiger [+2] – How does a beast view the land? Exercise patience and caution, do not rush into anything and take in every detail, as a hunter would.
M: Wanderer [+2] – Surely I've heard some mention of this in my travels? What is different since I was last in the Sun Plains?

Razage posted:

Rathin Stonewill

Birthplace: The Sun Planes

Qualities – Mortal:

Smithy [+4] A true warrior makes their own blades and armor. You can tell the strength of a warrior by the strength of his armor and the sharp of his blade.

Warrior [+4] The test of strength comes to us all on the battlefield. Meet it head on and never waiver. Your sword will strike true if your resolve remains unwaivering.

Wanderer [+2] When you spend your entire life traveling, you learn something about living off the land. You see many places and chances are you already know something about your destination before you ever get there.

Stubborn [-2] I know what I'm doing, I hardly need know more then that.

Qualities – Divine:
Orc [+2] When Star Fall happened, Rathin's life changed. He went to sleep in a farmers hay loft and awoke completely different. His skin turned green. His jaw elongated and he grew tusks from his lower mouth. His hair become longer and more course. He grew by 2 feet and now towered above most men. His skin became tough as leather, and his eyesight as sharp in night as in the day. His endurance and strength surpassed many a man. His reflexes quickened and even stranger his blood lust and warriors spirit were increased considerably making him a formidable foe in any battle, but also a welcome ally. Although, it does take some explaining when first meeting people...

Heart of the Tiger [+2](Shamanistic Philosophy) The Heart of the Tiger involves courage, vigor, patience, and ultimately making the kill. Rathin can inspire those around him to courage, charge them with vigor, and finally lead them to the kill. The pinnacle of the Heart of the Tiger is to eventually become one with the beast and see the world through its eyes. Rathin lives the philosophy every day, and has a curious charm around his neck that looks like a preserved tiger's heart.

Core Values:
Rathin believes in actions over words. Your actions define who you are. If you are a strong warrior, you have a strong arm. If you are a master of the forge, your steel is straight and true. If you are a politician, you will have a hard time gaining Rathin's trust. Rathin believes in trusting in your family and helping your community.

Rathin also wants to explore and someday see all of the world. He loves seeing new places and people, learning new things and never staying in one place too long.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wilhelm - Minburg

It was worrisome and dreadful- The thought of war and his people or any people coming to harm over a simple and stupid misunderstanding. There had to be a way to talk it out, though it was certain that he would not simply have his people lay down and die. Such a thing was not an acceptable option, and he began buzzing about on his business of thinking up a plan. Polling and open functions let the townspeople join in on the discussion with Wilhelm as he scouted about the very familiar, yet now abandoned farmhouses and fully worked fields.

"We should just run away to the jungle!" remarked one voice, concerned with the well being of its family.

"We can't just let them take our land! We've lived here for generations, and my children will live here too," retorted another, the fires of passion audible in its tone.

"I have family in Tellu, and they're marching here- We can't hurt them, please!" begged another.

There are many voices in the discussion, all pointing in a different direction. There is no organization between the one mind made of hundreds of individuals, and it is clear that his silence did not contribute to it. He was no leader of warmongers. He is just a farmer, just as his people are.

And so his voice joins the rest, "Take the women and children to the Gindarr, where our relatives will keep them safe. Should Minburg fall, that is where our future will be." The words choked up in his mind, like trying to swallow sand. The thought that it could all be burnt depressed him, "We will flood the fields, creating mud that cannot be moved through easily. Dig pits where we may capture them in small numbers, isolating them and making them easy to deal with. Hang the banners of Minburg from our home. We will force a surrender with as little bloodshed as possible."

The many individuals, great and small, move as one body to evacuate and prepare for the worst.

Going to be using Insect Lord +2 and Hivemind Usurper +2 to coordinate efforts for the farmers to flood the fields and dig tunnels and pits that will drop out underneath men to capture them and pick them off, where they can later be released. Wagons and farm equipment will be used as barricades to further mire movement where the mud and pits do not, hopefully spreading the forces out further.

Also I'd like to try to talk it out when they make their initial approach.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 1, 2013

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!

Adam
(Under-Sellos)

This had worked far too well. He had managed to keep things going well, and people had worked well. Now he had something else to work with. It had taken some considerable time to find a dwarf with a penmanship that hadn't been lost thanks to his hands, but the had. Letting him sit down, he had dictated a letter to be copied, and sent to some of the towns nearby, as he started to establish his trading colony.

Action: Going to start sending letters to the leaders of the villages nearby in a larger radius, telling them that I will be sending trade caravans over to them, and the benefits that will go with. Eventually, when we're ready, we will start sending them to larger towns, and the capital afterwards.

Leader(divine) +2: One leader to another.. eh? Help me out here.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Beltheus

Shaking his head at the thought of the Spider God and his strange creatures, Beltheus leaves Val Aman to them and heads to Taelos, in the hope that somewhere in Taeless, there will be individuals or groups more subject to his persuasion.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Farro Kapersi - Taeless, Harlakake
Update 6

Farro had never been to Harlakake, although he’d heard of it. Close to the Taeless-Konwey borders, as well as the main entrance to the great Elysian desert via a major pass in the Val Titanus mountains, it was a great center of trade and cultural melting pot. It was often said that the proximity to the desert and close relationships with the desert peoples had instilled a greater respect for life in the Harlakakens, but they still held slaves like the rest of Taeless. And that, of course, was why he was here.

Part of the transfer of Elice’s love for her daughter had included memories and thoughts closely linked to that emotion. Farro could feel it just as if it had happened to him; nine years ago when his-or rather Elice’s; it was getting harder to differentiate the two now- then six year old daughter Lydia was captured in a raid on the outlying lands around Amast-Bevy. Elice had tracked the bandits all the way back to a black market slave trade outside of Harlakake, one that dealt in slaves who had been acquired by less legal means.

The problem of course, was money. Elice didn’t have near the amount a young girl would sell for on the black market, and she didn’t have the ability or strength to attempt any direct option for freeing Lydia. It was a stroke of luck that a relatively harmless family had purchased her as a future housemaid, as opposed to one of the many bidding whoremongers or worse, but still she watched. Elice plied her trade in Harlakake for as long as she could, but as an outsider the established Harlakaken underworld was unwilling to ignore her for long and she was quickly run out of town not two months after arriving; retreating to Amast-Bevy to lick her wounds and continue to raise money in hopes of buying her daughter back.

Of course, even though Farro knew who Lydia had been purchased by, that was nine years ago. Lydia could still be there, or could have been sold off any number of times. The only thing he knew for certain was that she was alive- maybe most of it was the eternal hope of a parent with a lost child that they should be reunited again, but there was something else. A small, warm sensation, like a sort of handshake. Those feeling of love were anchored onto something, and it was almost as if he could pull upon them like a rope, closing in on his goal. And as always, that little itch in the back of his brain to complete the contract he had made with Elice leading him onwards.

Using Divine: Love +2 and Divine: Contracts +2 to scry Lydia’s location, as she is the target of the motherly love inherited from Elice and the object referred to in the Contract.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 23, 2013

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Kovar (Taless, Selos)

Most of what Kovar wanted had worked. Indeed he'd made the rabbits a bit larger, although the change was mostly in musculature and their ability to dig. They were definitely more nutritious as they ate a wider range of vegetable matter now as well on top of their increased size. They would also follow orders and work in coordinated groups. The only problem in this last statement was that they were working in coordinated groups by themselves. The few rabbits he'd altered so far had managed to all but once evade him, by clever tactics and taking advantage of their ability to move underground where he could not. Catching the rabbits would prove to be a challenging and formidable task for any of his soldiers, requiring close teamwork, precision and sound tactical thinking to try and outsmart the now even more wily hares.

Right on the border, so you get success with a glitch, which I'm flavoured to the weakest applied Trait.

Edo Blackwater (Eosia, Eisos)

Edo got Ajikan and Katikos to try and gather all of the Magisters that they could. This was not easy as there were still quite a few in the country attending to their duties and those in the city had inevitably begun to take sides. Edo found that in the end the group had split into three main factions. The first was his faction, that agreed with what he did and were concerned about the rumours of the Emperor casting aside the old God for a new one, as well as the powers he had supposedly been given. Outside of these were two related but different groups, one being the Magisters that agreed in part with Edo but did not like that he was causing a lot of upheaval and turmoil right now. The final group were those loyal to the Emperor. The Magisters were there to serve him, as he was Eosia. It was his will that they moved by and they would leave the matters of Demons and Demon-Magic to the priests. This view was the practical stance taken by the majority of the more neutral group, they had enough problems and tasks to deal with and their responsibility covered Wizard Magic.

The most concerning thing Edo felt was that the touch of whatever had taken Davos had begun to affect those loyal to the Emperor. He could feel it, much more faintly, but it clung to them as well.

Not really much luck here, although you did get some useful information.

Civar and Ilvis

What Eisner found in the crowd surprised him. He moved among the people and asked them and each time when he asked the question, "who did this to you?" the Sword tugged back to the person. Each of the people affected by the dust that they caught and questioned the sword indicated they had done whatever had happened to themselves. But when Eisner asked "who is responsible for this?" The answer was different, a tug to somewhere that he couldn't explain the direction to. It was as though there was literally a new direction that made perfect sense but that he had not know existed before. When the two Godlings discussed the matter they began to wonder, if perhaps this was the sword telling them that it was in a different place.

The Horse seemed to be nervouse when Ilvis told it what she wanted to do, but it was obedient and it was efficient. The two had not been sure if the Horse could really have feelings but it seemed that sometimes it did, or at least the semblance of them anyway. It was really difficult to tell and Aideen could not sense much from it, her talent dealt with people and not really animals as she had explained. But the deed was ready and the two of bound their power together and the Horse charged with the sword gleaming multihued and multidimensional upon its head. It sliced through and they ran through the tear in space into...

A garden. The smell of flowers, insects and water filled the air and the entire place hung in a void. To Civar there was a deep and abiding wrongness to it, not in the sense that it was evil but that it contradicted the Order of the world and was...well unnatural despite the obviousness of the statement. It was one thing to see it was unnatural and quite another to feel it deep in your being. Ilvis for her matter felt a vague sense of peering through a fog, although everything was clear and crisp. You stand there for a minute and a kindly looking old man steps through behind you. "I was not expecting visitors in this place. Would you care to sit for a while and relax?" He says, gesturing to a stone bench that stood next to a pond with lilies floating on it.

Success, you find Beltheus' Demesne but he left it as the garden and hadn't mentioned changing it back so you see the garden instead. It seems suspicious and to Civar, very unnatural, but nothing yet makes the place seem evil except for some odd coincidences and a sort of nagging doubt.

Octagon (Val Aman, Val Setin)

Elkud paused and then politely replied; "Master, I can only do half of what you said. I can tempt others, find those who are weak and looking for power without realising the cost. I can spread word and gather information. However I cannot make the Transformation Toxin, that is your gift and something only you can do." He paused waiting to see if you would reprimand or punish him. If Octagon did not, Elkud would make arrangements and move towards Val Lichett soon to begin his work there. Val Heysus could wait after all, it was further towards the north and would be unable to amass a great army or pose much threat. Val Lichett was a valuable crossroads and much work could be done there.

The further transformation of some of the Arrani went well, they spent several days in their transformative cocoons but emerged similarly to what he had. On a curious note the females, while remaining slender and sensual in their human forms (a deliberate design mechanism) were all on average larger than the males. The group was mixed though and on Octagon's orders went after Elkud, had he left, or waited for other orders.

Success, you make some more, although it takes about a week for all of them to finish. You can either jump the narrative or do something else or other things during this week if you like. Just explaining some sexual dimorphism in spiders, although you could probably change that with your powers if you wished.

Rathin Stonewill (Sun Plains, an Oasis)

Rathin closed his eyes for a moment and thought. A beast, a predator, thought of the land in terms of the food chain. It did not care particularly for plants, as it did not eat them, but neither did it ignore them. Verdant growth and abundant food meant grazers and herbivores would have much to eat. They would move shorter distances to feed, become fatter and more abundant. But there was also the matter of water, plants were a sign of water but they could drink from the land after the drinking holes had dried up. Was it pure, fresh spring water or was it muddy and tainted? Beasts needed to drink and made do when they could, and if the water was bad then they would see the effect through the animals in the food chain.

But the beasts here were healthy looking and the plants lush but not unhealthily so. Once Rathin had seen what happened when too much salt had gotten into the water and the plants had plenty of water, but had begun to wither and die which had driven the beasts away. That had been a difficult year and the tribe had needed to move far away from that place to survive. Tentatively Rathin drew closer and had a sniff, smelling only clear fresh water with a bit of mud stirred up in it as water holes always had. Then taking a bigger risk on a hunch he tasted it. The water was clear and mostly pure, save for the odd bit of dirt or leaf in it. That was the mystery of it, the place was wrong and unnatural but it was not unhealthy.

Success, I added in some flavour as I thought Orcs might have a better sense of smell as well.

Wilhelm (Arandia, Minburg)

You can attempt to speak to them, but for now their course is set. That doesn't mean your words won't have effects later on though, so you can mention it in your next post if you like.

Although the discussion had been chaotic, once someone took charge your people moved efficiently and with purpose. The 'army' that marched on Minburg was more a rabble of peasants with improvised or inherited weapons. The few decent fighters or men with sense in the group managed to avoid the traps, but Minburg had been quickly turned into a warren of tunnels and traps. None of them were lethal and the people you captured were, although dirty and muddy, mostly safe and uninjured. The battle such as it was really ended up turning into a bizarre game for the insect people, many of them learning how best to taunt the mob into their traps and thin them out. Eventually by the end of the day as it was, the only competent people had fled to get word back to their towns and Wilhelm was left with a town full of traps filled with confused, cold and now scared peasants.

You did pretty well, your people got out and you managed to snag almost everyone in a day. It was a long day to be sure but now, well now you've got to figure out what to do with all of these people.

Adam (Taeless, Under-Sellos)

Sellos had always in the past been an exporter of metals, which had paid well enough. But now that the Dwarves were beginning to branch out into making their own tools, weapons, armours and even jewellery and masonry there was now a multitude more of things that Sellos could export. But trade was built on trust and people would be wary of the new Dwarves. Adam needed to build trust and a sense of reliability for them. That's why the initial organisation work was to do with building those foundations, giving away samples and giving them generous prices for now. The Dwarves would soon be mining plenty of gold and metals anyway, if there was a longer term profit to be made by not having as much to begin with then this was an acceptable payoff. Adam paused for a moment, wondering at how he was thinking in longer timespans and for the future, where once his life had mostly been 'until next week'. Even more so was the fact that he was beginning to plan into a hundred years without even pausing to consider he might not be alive then. It was foolish, no one lived until then and yet...well Adam couldn't really explain it. Beyond being a Dwarf he knew time wasn't so much of an issue for him anymore.

The letters were sent out and arrangements made, again it would take time for these results to show themselves but Adam felt confident that it would work out.

As a side note you did REALLY well. When we properly kick off into longer time scales Sellos is going to have a good strong start. But I'd suggest avoid spreading your people out too much thinner in the near future, you haven't really had time to expand your initial population at all yet.

Beltheus (Val Aman)

You sense someone intruding on your domain as you begin to leave. Ochsbright says he will attend to it as he is closer, but if you wish to 'evict' your uninvited guests you will need to do so personally. Your demesne does however still look like a garden which should amusingly confuse them.

You can deal with this and still move on by the way, just mention which parts of your post are where.

Farro Kapersi (Taeless, Harlakake)

Farro begins his search, first in the slave markets to make sure Lydia had not been resold and then back to where Lydia had been owned. It took some time and a bit of convincing to get a meeting with the estate. Farro made a deal with a gardener to a talk to one of the local merchants, whom he then made another deal with to talk to the owner of Lydia. Both were minor deals and did not require Farro to directly intervene, but Farro felt that if he needed to come back he'd made a foundation to work off next time. When Farro finally got to talk to the man, a spice merchant by the name of Tarrek his heart fell. Lydia had one day fled the estate and travelled into the desert. This would take her into the Elysian Sands and most likely to Elysia. Even worse was the fact that few people had been travelling from Elysia lately and people on the other side of the pass reported seeing an eerie green light off in the distance from that place. Something was happening there and it was an ill omen. Farro quietly checked his bond and was relieved to find that Lydia was alive. Somewhere at the very least. There was still hope after all.

Partial Success, as you rolled low on this. You've got a trail to follow though a clue.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 7, 2013

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos

quote:

Kovar: Having transformed enough of the rabbits to create a stable and growing population, Kovar returns to Sellos and seeks out Burd to plan for the future.

Burd: Kovar finds Burd overseeing the construction of a more useful training yard.

Burd: The Dwarves have been helping carve out some items like training bars.

Kovar: His voice carrying clearly across the clearing, Kovar calls Burd over, somewhat away from the others so that they might have some small bit of privacy.

***Burd gestures a few more times, makes some comments and wanders over to Kovar.

Kovar: "It's good to see a proper training yard going up."

Burd: "I'm doing my best to take care of the smaller details, sir."

Kovar: The lion has wandered in from the fields and taken it's place next to the general when he continues, "I've been experimenting with trying to enhance the foodstuffs so that the town can support more transformed individuals without causing a famine."

Burd: "Perhaps it might be more efficient to maintain a working class of individuals not transformed and simply acquire more arable land?" Burd offers politely under the belief the Kovar wanted a Lieutenant that would see things and have a mind of his own, and not simply a follower. Why else would Kovar have taken him under his wing after all, continuing after his transformation?

Kovar: "That does sound like a good idea, but I was mainly concerned with having enough troops to be able to secure that arable land first. How are the troops coming along?"

Burd: "General fitness has improved substantially since you first arrived, which has been the main focus of Jusep and myself." Burd replies before pausing and continuing. "The men and women still in the training have become more familiar with holding weapons, but against an actual trained armed force we would face difficulty in an invasion. Defensively speaking I think there would be enough to cause them to hold ranks better."

***Kovar is disappointed, though not surprised. "It sounds as though we'll have to primarily rely on those I have changed. Speaking of which, are there any others who wish to volunteer to undergo the change?"

Burd: "I believe so, although as you wished to learn to control it better first I was waiting on the information."

Kovar: "I've gotten a much better level of control. So far the situation with the fire hasn't repeated, and I've managed to enhance this guy here," Kovar rubs the lion's head, "And I've tested it with some other plants and animals."

Burd: "Hmm...well, do you think that you should? I've had a few people scout around and Thadroin and I have been keeping an eye on news from other towns. There are rumours of some strange lights in the Elysian Sands but beyond this no signs of danger. Is it wise to so radically change more people?" Burd asks as a polite counterpoint to your idea and to try and challenge you so that the plan is more well thought out.

Kovar: "Currently we're a kingdom without any real means of defending ourselves. There have been two incursions by something other, but for the moment I'm more concerned that any expansion on our part will inevitably bring us into conflict with either Taelos or Val Aman. That means that we need to have a force powerful enough to make them think twice about attacking."

Burd: "Perhaps our initial expansion does not need to be overtly aggressive? Thadroin tells me that Adam has been making some progress with opening trade with other towns nearby. Building up good will to us would allow us to begin expanding our influence without needing to risk our own forces and maintain the cooperation of our 'conquered' territories."

Kovar: "True, but I fear more that the two kingdoms will see us as a threat simply because we exist. Especially if the fact that people change into dwarves becomes widely known."

Burd: "I shall trust your judgement in how fast you can transform people and escalate our threat until we reach the point where we become a risk equal to our threat." Burd says simply.

Kovar: "I had planned to keep it small, if for no other reason that the change is actually quite difficult, but I think it might be helpful to have more than just you, Jusep, Barbara, and soon Algard as the only fully trained soldiers."

Burd: "We are not fully trained, Kovar. We have a greater amount of discipline and awareness than the others, but we are still learning how to use a weapon. Our progress is faster to be sure, we need to be to teach others which is why Barbara and Jusep are spending so much time sparring...among other reasons. But there are many things we don't know and we all know this."

Kovar: "Hmmm..." Kovar appears pensive, "I think I'll spend some time training just you, so you'll be in a better position to train the others."

Burd: "As you wish sir." Burd replies respectfully.

Kovar: "Anyhow, the reason I'm bringing this up now, is that in several weeks Adam and I will have to leave again, possibly for longer, and I'll be leaving you in charge of Sellos."

Burd: "Understood sir. I assume you will have plans for further development while you are gone?"

Kovar: "Indeed. I'd like you to put you in a position where you can continue to train the troops, as well as help integrate the surrounding towns that have agreed to join us into a more cohesive whole."

Burd: "Understood."

Kovar: "So, I think this week would be best spent making sure you have the skills to succeed. Can you find another to oversee the creation of the training ground? Considering the limited time, I think this training will be quite intensive."

Burd: "Yes" Burd replies and looks around. "Most of what I had wanted done is done anyway, and Jusep can handle the rest."

Kovar: "Good. When you're ready we can begin at once."

It would be an intense week indeed. Closing his eyes and calling upon the part of himself that had been born under the light of the starfall, he explored the infinite roads of possibility looking for the plan that would leave Burd the most prepared for his duties by the week’s end. When he finally grasped onto the strand that met his strict criteria, he began to apply it at once.

Each day would be a mix of weapons training, leadership, management, negotiation, and strategy. The lessons were mixed and would quickly flow from one to the other with little warning, mimicking the amorphous and changing challenges a commander would face in real life. Each of the lessons was also carefully constructed, drawing on Kovar’s long experience in such things, to help prime Burd to be able to pass along the relevant skill, though likely at a more normal speed. It was something that would not become obvious to Kovar’s lieutenant until he attempted to teach them himself.

In short, the entire week-long regime, lasting each day from before dawn till the dead of night, was to help mold Burd, an exceptional soldier, into an exceptional commander. Kovar knew that no war could be won by a man acting alone, he had seen far too many commanders fail in the task of delegating, and had ruthlessly taken advantage of that deficiency in others. Knowing that what he wanted to build was not just an army but a kingdom, having commander he could delegate to and trust would be key if he hoped to have any success. So, he poured all his power and talent into making Burd the first such commander.

Spending some time putting Burd through some extremely intense training in order to help him become the kind of commander Kovar can rely on to manage things in his absence.

D: Divine Strategy[+2] - To plan out the best possible training regimen to achieve the goal of teaching Burd to be a good commander.

M: Experienced General[+4] - Kovar knows a good general relies on good commanders, and he’s helped mold more than his fair share, the ability to delegate is key to his success.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Civar Kit'An (Somewhere?)

"Thank you for your courtesy, I think I will stand for now. We are seeking a man who:" <insert description of the demon drug dealer before his true form was revealed>. "Have you seen him?" Dismounting from the Swordicorn and helping Aideen down I whisper to her "Are these animal's natural? Something seems off here, besides the stars being missing, and the bottomless void all around."

"Eisner, are you sure we came to the right place?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Ochsbright

"Oh no, I have not seen such a man, or thing. This is my master's garden and he made it to calm me after he rescued me. It was a terrible thing, a city turned into spider monsters overnight that tried to eat those that had not changed. I owe a great deal to him." The man says with a gentle smile as he looks at the pair of Eisner and Civar. Aideen had not followed them through, although the Horse pawed the group nervously.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Ilvis

"I... think so? Let me just try one, simple thing... Excuse me sir, I'm so sorry for coming upon you unannounced and all but we seem to have lost our way. Could you maybe just give us a few pointers? What city are we in exactly? It's a darned hot day out today isn't it? Where is my handkerchief..."

Reaching down into my armour I pull forth my handkerchief, the IV and house sigil embroidered poorly across it.

"Spider monsters you say? How horrible! Could you look up here just a moment please?"

Putting the kerchief away I slide the Sword free, and with a flip reverse my grip so that it points straight at the old man, a great gout of flame welling up from within me and pouring out towards him and the garden.

Hey bro, you evil? Burn like a hotdog on an unattended grill if so. If not, I guess we're cool.

D: Sacred Sword +2 - Flaming Justice Scan attack go!
D: Justice +2 - The flames of Justice shall never blind, char, or even sort of moderately singe and harm an innocent! I honestly have no clue as to what said flames will do to a seemingly harmless and possibly magical garden, but I kind of hope on the chance that it's innocent and not full of evil intent or something that the garden too will also go unharmed.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Rathin Stonewill Oasis in the Sun Plains.

Odd, but perhaps fortunate. "Vek, it would seem fortune smiles upon us. Tell everyone to take what provisions we need and then we'll move on. Although I will not forget this place, we shall investigate it further when we run into a caravan or tribe next."

The last few days had been full of strange happenings, the world is definitely changing and there would be much to get used to. It was time to get on the move for now.

M: Wanderer [+2]: Gather some supplies and look for signs of other passers by that we can follow.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar Kit'An (Somewhere?)

"I'm Julius," Civar lied fluently, "what is your name and who is your master? I apologize if we're trespassing, I'm not really sure where exactly we are. Do you think you can lead us to the exit?"

Trying to get the guy to show us the exits using M:Stage Magician +2

More likely, He's going to get crisped by Ilvis and I'll call down a rain to ground out any illusions in massive amounts of running water. Does that even work in this world? Civar's read stories that it does, but who knows! Weather +2 (I guess I'll whack him upside the head with my hammer if he's close, but mostly the rain thing)

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir-Elysian Sands

Mazir huffed in frustration as his students could not control the golems for long/ It was an unfortunate setback. So far they only had the one group of 100 iron men, as the people had taken to calling them, but a larger, autonomous shock force eluded them. As the army continued its preparation, Mazir knew that soon they must depart, least the people begin to question his authority, but his people, while plentiful enough for the Sands, would be outnumbered by the larger Kingdoms that knew naught the struggles of the Sands, and while they could have some success in the initial gains, unless they could somehow tip the balance in their favor, closer kingdoms might come and hammer down his people, even if they faded back and resorted to irregular warfare.

However, Mazir soon saw something that stopped him in his tracks. Something so simple he wondered why he hadn't tried to help others master it sooner. He saw people using the sands in small ways, cutting away larger stones, and making tunnels and shaping it to their needs. While his ability was still presumably, many people had grasped the ideas of magical sands better than the magics of the soul.

The sand was the answer, he had just been looking in the wrong direction. If he could gather enough spell casters and train them well enough, they could have the force equalizer that his people needed. Assuming enough of the sand could be moved, by either magical or mundane methods, they could summon a vicious storm of sand and use it to blanket his foes and cut them down. If it could cut through stone, then it could cut through metal most likely and more easily, flesh. The casters wouldn't need the fine control like they needed to carve out structures, if enough of them could coordinate, the storm could be like a cudgel, unwieldy, but functional and if given enough strength, capable of pushing through any defense.

He quickly gathered together his students and brought forth a small caravan of supplies, they should be a decent distance away from Elysia for this test, least it go wrong and bury the settlement in sand. Announcing that he would return in three days time at most, Mazir and his disciples set off. After one day of travel they arrived at an empty patch of desert. Satisfied, Mazir ordered everyone to set up the test. Two precious suits of armor, along with three of the pack animals were set out. Pulling the remaining animals back to a safe enough location, Mazir instructed his disciples on what to do. He prepared to stand by to assist should the storm get out of hand, but this would be the culmination of their abilities.

The test if successful would come in two parts, first they would see if they could make a devastating enough of a sandstorm to kill soldiers, both armored and unarmored by moving the sands around at a high pace. Next if that worked, the disciples would see how much sand they could move with their magic, and if that would be feasible to carry to create a storm if need be.

Having the Disciples try and make a sandstorm capable of killing soldiers, both armored and unarmored and if they can control it. In addition, if it works, they will then see how much sand they can move (to see if we can bring sand on our crusade and use its deadly effects.

+2 Sand Magic Taught more advance sand magic techniques to the disciples, in addition to providing assistance should they have difficulty controlling the storm.

[+4 Magic] Instructing the disciples on what to do, proper channeling techniques, positioning and stamina maintenance. All to help them better control sands and their deadly effect.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kovar (Taeless, Over-Sellos)

Kovar took Burd aside and after a week Burd had learned much of what Kovar tried to teach him. There was a great deal that had to be taught by experience of course, but Kovar was confident that he had at least instilled all the basics and more advanced ideas into Burd. When the time came to learn by experience, Burd would be well prepared for that time. At the end of the week however Burd was not noticeably better at handling the weapons. Kovar it seemed had been working on making him a commander, but had not yet had time to truly teach him the art of fighting itself, only the art of war. Burd smiled politely as he realised this and mentioned that it was okay. "We will not be fighting seasoned warriors at first I expect, we have time to learn." He reassured you when Kovar thought about it.

Success, although Burd's original comment was he couldn't teach people weapons as he didn't know them well. Your action described and the traits you used it sort of deviated from this, and your success wasn't great enough to do both.

Civar and Ilvis (Beltheus' Demesne)

Ilvis and Ocshbright's contested check posted:

Sword Check: 2d6+4 6
Sword Defense: 2d6+2 9
Ilvis does not overcome Ochsbright

Eisner point his sword at the man and the flames leapt out, only to blow around the man as though there was a barrier of wind protecting him. He shook his head and smiled a little apologetically. "Please, you are a guest in this place. My Master would be most displeased if you were to take advantage of his hospitality in such a way." Then he put up his hand beatifically and swept the remaining flames away. The plants remained unburned by what had just happened. The man turns to Civar then. "I am afraid that even were I to do so, you could not leave. Not until my Master permits it at any rate, I do not have power over the Gate. But you managed to enter by yourself did you note? I am sure men such as yourselves can manage to leave in the same way you entered." He said continuing to remain calm, polite and smiling. "Oh but I do forget my manners. Many apologies. You may call me Father Ochsbright. I may have lost my Church, but I have my faith and it is my duty to tend to my Master's flock. He looks after them so that they might be with him in this place after death. But it would be best for him to introduce himself I think." He finishes with his brief explanation.

Ilvis does not manage to sense whether he is evil or not (you rolled a 2 sadly). Civar succeeds in asking him about the Gate, although he did not really hide that information except for being coy about who his master really is. This is as suspicious as you want it to be, he seems to be a holy man of the cloth though and Civar's experience would be that they do not often directly name their Gods as it is seen as disrespectful.

Rathin Stonewill (The Sun Plains)

The tribe spends the day gathering supplies and hunting, such that you all enjoy a hearty feast that night and sleep well with full bellies. Overnight Rathin hears a female voice gently calling to him from the distance, although her words are hard to make out. When he awakes others among the Tribe mention having strange, but at the same time comforting dreams. Curiously all of them seem to involve water in some fashion, although it takes Rathin a while to sort this out.

The water soaked ground has left mud persisting longer than it should and after he examines it, Rathin finds a group of human foot prints that all seem to move to the north. The ground dries up away from the watering hole, but there are other signs of their passage. It is not recent and the trail is starting to get cold, but it would be enough to follow should Rathin wish to do so.

Success, you gather supplies to keep you well prepared for many days ahead and you have found signs of others that have been here.

Mazir (Elysian Sands)

Together with a great deal of effort the people could conjure a sandstorm. Controlling it was much more difficult however, but that would come with time. With access to rocks and even better, actually dry dirt or sand the mages could use their magic to make sand travel and cut open the skin in many places. A few sand cuts might not have worried an outsider, but those who walked the sands knew the true dangers of being caught in a sandstorm and how flying sand could injure a man. It would sting and tear into unprotected eyes, clog the throat and make it hard to breath and rub the skin raw. It would pass through armour and only clothes that covered the entire body, such as the travelling robes the Tribes wore would protect them from its relentless assault. This was the weapon that Mazir could harness against his foes, and best of all with a bit of work it could be carried around. Already some people were filling pitchers with sand and carrying it with them, so that they could have a small supply with them at all times. A small amount was enough when you could always regain it, although eventually they would need to work the blood out of it.

Success, you have essentially created a tradition of sand benders. Big effects with it are hard, but a number of them working in concert will be difficult for those unprepared to deal with and it will probably bypass armour to a fair degree.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Arandia, Minburg

Prebattle

He fluttered down from the sky wielding a washing pole with a white cloth affixed to it in parlay to the mob that called itself an army. Wilhelm vocalized so that all may hear, "You should all just go home now. We of Minburg may just be peaceful farmers, but we don't show hospitality to raiders and thugs! We may have all changed, but we're no different from you in that we just want to live here in peace." His temper began flaring at the sight of these brutes, and it felt like his chitinous scalp had already caught on fire. Burn down Minburg will they? Wilhelm had never even thought that something like that would happen, and now these people thought they could get away with something so dastardly, "Go AWAY! You've already caused enough trouble here! This is why the world is going to poo poo, it's because of idiots like you doing stupid things!"

Uh oh. His temper was already far gone and he knew it. Diplomacy and friendliness were two things that Wilhelm never managed to grasp. Before anything got worse he decided to buzz back to Minburg.

In the now

"What do we do? We can't just keep them like this forever," mutters one voice of the Hive, and it is clear to Wilhelm that there is no other option except to jump to continue the orders immediately.

"Make sure that anyone wounded in the battle is treated. Give them fresh water and at least passable meals as a show of hospitality- They are no different from us. Make sure they have blankets and at least some straw for bedding. Release a few men from each town to let them know that everyone will be returning safely. They also deserve an apology for the quality of their quarters- We only had a week to dig it out, yes?"

Minburg over the years prior to this change had always given food to its guests, and when these same towns that came to raze and pillage were in need of aid it was always ready to oblige. Killing them would be to spit at a history of generosity that came even before Wilhelm.

"Over the next week release the men in small groups and make sure they head home. Send for the women and children to return, as I am sure that they are worried for our safety," Wilhelm sighed, as it seemed that the attack had ended without any true bloodshed, "And request some assistance from the towns in refurrowing our fields. We have been set back a week from this debacle."

Nobody needed to die for such a stupid debacle.

Just releasing the attackers in small groups to go home after showing them some basic hospitality. Hopefully they'll realize that we're not crazy murderbeasts. Also bringing the women and children home. Dunno if any of this really needs any dice rolls, but I have my two divine traits to make it all a coordinated effort if it does need something? No idea.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 7, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon did not reprimand Elkud for his inability to produce the toxin. One can hardly fault underlings for being less than god-like. "Right, of course. Proceed at your discretion, and keep me informed. I shall send you additional Operatives as they mature."

With Elkud on his way, he decided that he would need to check up on his other confidant. The curious sexual dimorphism did not bother him in the slightest. What is, is.

Down in the Catacombs... posted:

<Rhjamiz> Octagon hadn't heard any laconic comments from the Spider Queen in some time. Naturally, that made him curious just what was occupying her attention so. Which means paying her a visit.

<Nenji> After looking around Octagon found her in the catacombs, with a number of the less intelligent Arrani who were armed with picks and shovels.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon is amused at the sight of giant spiders wielding picks and shovels meant for human hands, but is tactful enough to hide this fact. "Hello, Darling. What are you up to down here? Expanding the tunnels?"

<Nenji> "Something like that. You weren't making much use of them so I decided to do something within them."
<Nenji> You notice there is a large clearing ahead.

<Rhjamiz> "You are welcome to them. If you'd like, I can alter a few of them so they are more capable and natural diggers." Octagon peers past the workers and into the clearing. What's all this, then?

<Nenji> "A surprise."

<Rhjamiz> Aha, there is that laconic wit. Still as unhelpful and uninformative as ever. "Very well, keep your secrets for the moment. I trust all shall be revealed when it is ready." He peers about at the work going on. "I'll create some burrowing Arrani for you. I'm sure they will be useful in many respects."
<Rhjamiz> "Anything else you require?"

<Nenji> "Stone. Probably great quantities of it."

<Rhjamiz> "Plenty to salvage from the city, I'll see it's done. I've sent my best to begin harvesting the nearby cities. Soon our numbers will swell even further."

<Nenji> "Don't get too excited dear, I wouldn't want to share my dinner."

<Rhjamiz> "True enough. I'll leave you to your work. Speaking of dinner..."

<Nenji> "Yes?"

<Rhjamiz> "Mm, just contemplating... something. A puzzle to work out. I'll let you know."
<Rhjamiz> Octagon then leaves, assuming the Spider Queen had nothing else for him.

<Nenji> She returns to her...mysterious work.

Emerging from the Catacombs, Octagon dispatches his minions to begin gathering stone from the abandoned buildings of the city, using whatever means they see fit to employ. The Spider Queen had need of great quantities for some secret project. In the meantime, he has some alterations to make to a few of the new recruits...

I am gathering up a group of Arrani in an attempt to transform them into Burrowing Arrani, incredibly adept at digging and tunneling through dirt and rock alike. Spider-Lord [+2] for a spider-form, and Transformation [+2] to mold their flesh to his will. Once they're done, they'll be put at the disposal of the Spider Queen.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 7, 2013

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Beltheus-Beltheus's Domain

As Civar and Ilvis question Ochsbright, they see a bearded man approach, wearing long red robes inlaid with silver thread and holding a wooden staff. He sees them, and his eyes flash with anger. "You would come into my home and molest my servants?! Get you gone from this place, and do not return except invited!" With that, he waves his hand, and the two of them find themselves back on the streets of Eisos.

"My dear Ochsbright. I hope they have not distressed you too greatly. I must travel to Taelos, but call on me if you have any need." And with that, he's gone.

Beltheus-Taelos

Taelos is a city based on trade, and in such places, there is power and opportunity to take it. Beltheus looks around the city. Some of the merchant houses are successful, and others...less successful. He looks for one that is old, was respected and great once, but has fallen on hard times, and then he observes them, trying to figure out that strengths and weaknesses they have, and who is important in the house.

Researching the merchant families of Taelos. Looking for a former great house that's fallen from its former glory. +4 scholarship, +2 perception if it's needed

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Beltheus' Demesne)

"Well, so sorry to bother you then Father Ochsbright. I guess this was just a missed stop on the way to our true destination. Don't worry yourself about the flames, they're harmless really."

Passing my hand through the flames still wreathing the Sword, I wriggle my fingers for emphasis.

"They're there for healing purposes mostly. Doesn't really hurt at all. I guess we'll get a move on, what did you say the name of the town with those spider monsters was? That's a likely stop right Civar? What? Wait, who are you-"

Hey wait, can he do that? Did we just get booted out and back to Eisos city?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Yes, he can. Farro can do this as well and when other people get it they can do it as well. It is something I have discussed with both of them. The idea of this is that they've grounded themselves in one place and so they can do that as a trade off. Neither Beltheus can really do much in the real world from their world, so even if they hide in there it is not really much of an advantage.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Eosia, Eisos)

"-you?"

Blinking at the sudden transition I look around at the busy street, hanging off the side of Avenger to check the cobblestones beneath its feet. Eisos city.

"Erm. Civar? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but we did just ride forward through a rainbow slash in the fabric of reality, discover an eerie and somewhat unnatural garden occupied by an old man who in retrospect didn't really seem that bad, and just as promptly got booted out by a mysterious stranger in red robes?"

"Oh and there were spider monsters. The old man did definitely mention spider monsters taking over the people of a town. Funny but I don't think I caught the name of the town when he mentioned it. Am I missing anything else here? Oh hello Aideen, just making sure but we did just ride down the street all glowing and sparkles right?"

Right, no worries just checking.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar Kit'An (Eosia, Eosis)

My stomach roiled as foul magics snatched me up and whirled me back to the waking world. Again. Between one blink of the eye and the next I found myself back in the street outside the bookstore. I staggered to the nearest wall and leaned against it as I anointed the cobble-stones with my last meal. Aideen held my hair back until I was completely empty. "drat, I've got to make myself a ward against this sort of crap. Thank you."

Eisner/Ilvis posted:

Ilvis (Eosia, Eisos)
"Erm. Civar? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but we did just ride forward through a rainbow slash in the fabric of reality, discover an eerie and somewhat unnatural garden occupied by an old man who in retrospect didn't really seem that bad, and just as promptly got booted out by a mysterious stranger in red robes?"

"Oh and there were spider monsters. The old man did definitely mention spider monsters taking over the people of a town. Funny but I don't think I caught the name of the town when he mentioned it. Am I missing anything else here? Oh hello Aideen, just making sure but we did just ride down the street all glowing and sparkles right?"

Aideen slid under one arm and helped me walk back to Eisner. "Whoever they were, they definitely weren't on the side of light and happiness. I don't think we'll do any better in a rematch though, he sent us back here with just a wave of his hand. And as you said, it took both of us working together and the best drat horse anywhere to get there. I'm adding both of them to my naughty list, but they're a problem for another day. Neither looked like Arhoun."

LLSix posted:

The blacksmith of Narona, a small farming community just outside Eosis, had a great deal to tell me. The capitol has been a stew of riots and rumors. The blacksmith's second son ran off to join the riots against the Emperor two days ago. I promised my newest ally that I would look out for his son.

My strength was coming back quickly, but my arm felt good wrapped around Aideen. I shied away from examining that feeling too closely, but leaned on her more than I needed to just the same. "I think I've got another way to come at this. I promised a friend I would look up his son. The kid is enough of a busy body to run away to this city to help, so he'll have been sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong. He may have heard something by now, let's go look him up."

It took me awhile to find the kid, but he sang like a canary when I did. The sweetest music you've ever heard. It seemed that Edo was raising the dead now. Good as new. I couldn't decide if that was promising or worrying. Even better...

HiKaizer posted:

Beltheus - (Eosia)
The Emperor recovered first, being given a smaller measure and blinked. His irises had turned a vibrant blood red. Then he looked at his hands and flexed them a little, tendrils of hell-fire flickering across the surface. "We are well pleased by your gift Lord Beltheus." He said and smiled as he stood, the sin of pride blackening his soul even more as he arrogantly rose.

The news was all through the city now. At least on the south side. The emperor could suddenly command some sort of firey magic now. The kid had even been smart enough to check to see if this was new or something he could always do, and according to him, no-one had heard of the emperor doing any magic until a few days ago. He figured the emperor had made a deal with something bad, and given the fire magic Arhoun had been slinging around, I figured the kid was right. Emperor shouldn't be too hard to find, just head for his throne room. Maybe get Eisner to use his knightly authority to ask any guards where the emperor was, just in case.

That was one smart kid, I inducted him into Hammerites on the spot, and gave him one of the spare tokens I'd taken to carrying round. I made sure his dad knew too. Trying to calm his father down, who can now talk to him through the icon, should keep the kid out of trouble until I could get some sort of Order restored to this city. Listen to me, talking about Order. What do I care about Order? Traveling the open roads is how man was meant to live, free to wander as he wills, not bound my some rich man's concept of law and Order. But lately, I've been seeing more and more connections, how to bring the same order I bring to iron when I forge it into shape to people. And maybe to whole cities too.

D Action gobsmacking the Demon Emperor:
D: Weather +2 (rain and fog to counter fire magic)
Tinker's Treasure +2?
Aideen ?
expecting help from puppies

Cacto/Edo, if you'd like to met us on the way to Emperor's and join up with us, that would be pretty rad.

<LLSix> Nenji, please let me know if there's anything you want me to reword, or if I need to roll to find some of this stuff out
<LLSix> I thought that maybe the emperor was obviously enough demonic to clue us in without a roll, but if you want I'll go back and edit it out so we need to make a roll to find out

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 8, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Eosia, Eisos)

"Demonic powers, setting people on fire, and bringing people back to life? That really doesn't sound like a good thing either, any of it. You are sure he's a demon right? I'm in."

Twirling the Sword in my hand I look up at the gathering stormclouds, watching Civar motion and gesture as he calls them into being. Beneath me the Avenger stamps its metal hooves impatiently, and eying the short distance of road before us I grin.

"Alright, let's try this again then shall we?"

Oh yeah, laying down the sword hammer on some guys. My part of helping out on this will involve stabbing people who deserve it, and getting us there violently and atop a metal horse.

D: Assist Civar's action of getting in there and laying the smackdown on that demonic emperor guy. My contribution here will involve the a) getting in there part b) hitting guys with a sword.

D: +2 Sacred Sword- It's real simple here innit? This end's the pointy end, and it goes into guys who are jerks like the (apparently) demonic emperor.
D: +2 Justice- They're demons up in there aren't they? Seems to reason that it ought to be that forces of Justice with a capital J would be conducive towards putting them down innit?
D: +2 Travel- Look we're going to get in there really fast, really violently, and hopefully through or past whatever defensive wards are in place right? Maybe work with Civar's divinely generated storm and ride in on a stormfront wave of lightning, hail, and ride of the valkyries awesomeness?

Ideally here I'd like to not KILL the Emperor per se, maybe impale him painfully and violently upon a flaming metal swordicorn horn of Justice so that his true form is revealed for all to see, but honestly I'm not going to lose any sleep if the dude shows his fangs and gets well turfed.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Rathin Stonewill: Sun plains (Oasis).

“Well if we wait at night, and we hide, we should be able to ambush this ghost!” Vek suggest opportunistically.

Rathin laughs, “Oh Vek, you are too eager for glory. Set the idea from your mind, how do you feel, Vek? Do you feel terrorized? Challanaged? No, this is a place of healing, of calm. I do not know why this place is as it is, but if who or whatever made it wanted to speak to us, it would come out and do so. You must not be too quick to run into battle that you forget yourself. We are Orcs, proud people that respect the land, and we shall not provoke and make an enemy of someone that has shown us such hospitality.”

Rathin kneels down and draws a symbol in the mud, but then looks at it puzzled. Vek looks surprised, “What is it?”

“I just drew it on impulse. It's the orcish symbol for thanks. It signifies this as hollowed ground, we will not disturb this land unless absolutely necessary. The provider of this land is our friend, should we ever learn who they are. A friend of the Orcs. Make a note of it in our chronicle, we will not forget the kindness shown to us.”

Rathin pauses, “Come, there were foot prints leading north, let's follow.”

D: Orc [+2] – To use our superior senses to track the people that stopped here.
M: Wanderer [+2] – Track the people that stopped here using our knowledge of land and what's near by.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Farro Kapersi - Taeless, Harlakake
Update 7

It hadn’t been very difficult to obtain the proper equipment for desert travel. His old short sword was good enough to fetch a fair price, and there were plenty of terrified nomads who were practically selling the robes off their backs for food and shelter. Apparently strange things were afoot in the desert: the stories were wide and varied as usual but almost everyone agreed on seeing an otherworldly green grow on the horizon to the west, over the skies of Elysia. Which, of course, was probably where Lydia was given it was the main bastion of civilization in those parts. The journey to Elysia apparently took around a month, requiring frequent breaks at various watering holes. But somehow in the back on his head, he knew that it wasn’t going to be that long a trek for him. He’d briefly considered opening a gate to Elysia, but the stories had him on edge, and he was wary of overextending himself. So a scant day after his arrival in Harlakake, he left for the desert.

Farro Kapersi - Elysian Sands, Half a day east of Elysia

He sat, resting in the shade of a large outcropping of rock. Based on his pace so far, he’d reach Elysia by nightfall. As far as he knew, people didn’t normally travel the desert by day, but he found that he was able to resist the heat and didn’t become thirsty very often. A week’s travel and he’s only needed to fill his waterskins a few times. A side effect of the powers, he supposed. Whether it was just part of the so called “divinity” or a more direct result of acting on his contract with Elice he didn’t know, but in the moment it wasn’t that important.

Idly, he watched the wind carry sand from the tops of dunes and blow it across the land. Not long ago, shortly after the breaking of dawn, he’d observed a smallish sandstorm off on the horizon. He didn’t know much about them, but the way it suddenly flared up and sort of sat in one place, whirling around sullenly had been most curious. At least he wasn’t in the middle if it; he’d probably have been delayed half a day or more, not to mention miserable.

Navigating the desert had been easy, at least. The eerie green glow was visible even during the day, like a beacon over the sands. At night though, it was something else entirely. Almost sinister, somehow. If he had time after he found Lydia, it might be worth looking into. Hitching his pack over his shoulder, he stood up and continued onwards.

Traveling to Elysia, continuing the hunt for Lydia with Divine: Contracts +2 and Divine: Love +2.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 23, 2013

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo

The turnout at the meeting Edo called was less than he'd hoped. It appeared that the magisters had fractured completely and no longer spoke or listened to each other. Still, those who did respond to his call deserved a response. He addressed the assembled magisters confidently, despite his lack of experience in public speaking. After all, everything rode on success here.

"Magisters and friends. You will have noticed by now the rise of dark forces in Eosia. A vile drug that resists all magical healing and causes madness and violence has emerged from an unknown source and even now threatens the sanctity of the city. Some think I am the cause of the madness, but that is not true. You can see the evidence of that with your own eyes. I shine with the light of Valamnis, and it comes from no spell or conjuring. I am his son, chosen to help the people of this country save themselves from the foul demons now in our midst.

"You all know by now that the emperor has fallen, possessed by demons and denying his blood to embrace evil. He is a living blasphemy on the name of Valamnis, who as you know was responsible for the end of blood magic and slavery in the first place. I am not the radical here. I seek a return to the proper order of things, to a world where the innocent aren't murdered in the name of power.

"Join me, friends. It is time to take the fight to the enemy. It is time to find the emperor, defeat his false god, and cast down his fell works and heal all those who are afflicted. The good name of Valamnis must be restored once more!"

Edo remained afterwards to answer questions and bolster the courage of those attending; if he could not convince the magisters to act, his work would become much more difficult. Then he headed for the palace with all those who would join him.

Action is to give a rousing speech that fires up the magisters and gets them marching on the palace. Along the way he'll be picking up any passing citizens who have any remaining affection for the state religion - relevant qualities are m charming +2 and divine sun +2 for the magisters, and being the literal manifestation of the sun for attracting a large mob. I'm assuming Val and the magic creature are still following and that the magic creature responded negatively to having any special purpose other than following Edo around and learning by watching.

Hopefully Edo'll be able to meet up with civar and ilvis on the way.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Over-Sellos

quote:

***Kovar looks pensively at the sky for a long time, things were moving in ways he had not expected, and now a decision of deep personal meaning to him had to be made. He then looks appraisingly at Burd for a moment before finally breaking his silence, "I think I have a way to resolve the deficiency in your training."

Burd: "I assume this involves teaching me weaponry?"

Kovar: "That is correct. I'm not sure I've ever told you this, but where I come from there is a long line of warriors who have developed a means to master nearly every weapon."

Burd: "That seems like it would only require sufficient time to master each, and also an amount of flexibility to learn the differences between each."

Burd: "Although, I suspect certain weapons would be better suited to our new size and weights."

Kovar: "There's more to it than that, it teaches you to quickly be able to determine the form and movements for even the most exotic and oddly designed weapons. Once you have fully mastered it, there is not a weapon you could find that you would not be able to fully wield within minutes of having first picked it up."

Burd: "There is a difference between wielding a weapon and mastering it though. Even among weapons that are almost the same there are differences in the blade and weight for example."

Kovar: "Indeed, you will not be able to match the skill of a person who has devoted their lives to a particular weapon, though there are ways to compensate, but you will still be more than prepared to match anyone other than such a devotee blow for blow."

Burd: "Hmm, this sounds like it would take some time. Is there sufficient time before you plan to leave?"

Kovar: "No, in whole it is a process that will take years. However, there will be time to start. It is important you understand the gravity of what I am to ask you. These lessons have been passed down master to student for generations, and most never take more than a few students in their lifetime. It is a sacred bond."

Burd: "I do not wish to sound disrespectful, but why is it sacred and to whom?"

Kovar: "It is sacred to me, at least, as it was to my teacher. The techniques to learn these skills have been closely guarded secrets, and to be chosen as a student means that your teacher thought you worthy enough to share them."

Burd: "This I understand and appreciate, but to which god is it dedicated?"

Kovar: "It is not dedicated to any god that I know of."

Burd: "That seems strange. For something to be sacred, it is holy and dedicated to or owned by a god."

Kovar: "Hmmm... I had never thought of that."

Burd: "Perhaps then I shall dedicate this to you?"

***Kovar seems taken aback, he had discussed such things with Adam, but for Burd to come to it on his own. "You think I am such a thing, a god that is?" He asks, tentatively, but showing no signs of disagreeing with Burd's proposal.

Burd: "Kovar, if you are not a god then you are close enough to one. Normal people do not and can not transform people like you have, or harness fire by will alone. Look at how you and Adam have changed things so completely in just two months, and everyone accepts it after a few days as though it is how things should be."

Kovar: "It is something Adam and I had considered, though we had not mentioned it lest we be thought mad. Now that you have come to this conclusion as well, independently of either of us, I have no qualms with accepting the title, should you wish to give it."

***Burd raises an eyebrow at that comment and smiles a little.

Kovar: Seeing Burd smile, Kovar adds, "So, are you alone in your belief?"

Burd: "I don't believe people have really realised what they do yet. It is more the way they act. If you were to decree your status to them they would probably realise."

Kovar: "As I said, I think it might be less than wise for me to come right out and declare myself a god, far too many crazed wizards and tyrants have done just that. You might have more luck on that front, I think."

Burd: "I shall work at it over time then."

Kovar: "Thank you. Now, back to the matter at hand. If you wish to dedicate it to me, then do so. I would be loath to turn away an offering by the man I consider my protege."

Burd: "You seemed to have been investing more time and effort into Adam, I must admit I am a little confused as to whom you refer to." Burd replies with a wry smile.

Kovar: Knowing it was a joke, Kovar addresses Burd seriously anyhow, "Adam is special, there is a bond between us like brothers, but I do not think he will ever become a general. He has the makings of an exceptional soldier, but though he may be a competent leader I do not think he has it within him to order men to their deaths. In you, I see someone who has all the things a great general needs, and I do not say this lightly. The burden of command is a heavy one, and not everyone can shoulder it."

Burd: "It's not surprising given you attempted to mould me in your image."

Kovar: "True, not that I expected it to be so effective." He recalls just how unexpected the results of that little experiment was. "I've never taken the opportunity to ask you what you think about that, and all of this really."

Burd: "It seems like the world is changing, we are changing it and it does not seem surprising that we are changed in return. Perhaps once I would have found this disturbing, but that was a different me, one who was looking for a place to belong while pushing everyone away."

Kovar: "Well, I certainly hope I've given you that place."

Burd: "I would say that you have."

Kovar: "Good. Now, I believe before we went into the metaphysical talk about whether or not I was a god, I was asking you to be my student."

Burd: "Yes, Sir."

***Kovar smiles. "It gladdens me to see that. This tradition is near and dear to my heart, and I hope that you will come to cherish it as I have. Perhaps one day you'll take on students of your own."

Burd: "Perhaps once the world has stopped changing as much, I fear there will not be much time for such things soon, Sir."

Kovar: "We'll have to see. Anyhow, I still have some time before Adam and I head south, so let's begin at once."

Burd: "Very well, Sir."

Working through the same routines as he did with Adam, Kovar began Burd’s training. This time he started with spears, since spears and pikes seemed like the weapons most likely to be wielded by the troop of Sellos, at least until they were more experienced. So, hopefully it would provide Burd with some basis on which to teach the others.

First came teaching him the basics of the guided visualization, controlled breathing, and relaxation techniques. Once Burd had gotten the hang of the pre-requisites, Kovar began the training in earnest. Burd would start by getting used to the weapons weight and heft, then moving through the basic katas. It was a different experience from working with Adam, Kovar noted. First, naturally, was the difference in size, it was far easier for Kovar to move the much smaller Adam through the katas, than the equally sized Burd. However, Adam rarely had more than a handful of ours at a stretch to work, while his training with Burd was able to run all day, with only short breaks for meals.

It was also different in another way, this time Kovar was drawing on the divine core within himself to try and aid the process. Burd had said he’d dedicate the bond to Kovar as a divine being, and the general wanted to live up to that.

Running Burd through some weaponsmaster training, starting with the basics of spears and pikes. To try and live up to Burd’s dedication of this to Kovar as a god, Kovar is trying to add a divine spin on the training.

M: Weaponsmaster[+2] - The training is at it’s core the same as what Kovar was taught by his teacher, techniques passed down from the ages, with each new generation adding their own style to them.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir-The Elysian Sands

He was pleased, the spell casters had learned the art of manipulating the sands to an even fire degree than had been before demonstrated. While still comparatively new and weak, it could only grow with time. He now had what he needed, the Iron Men and now the Sandbenders. Combine with the warriors of the tribes, they could finally start their plan.

The group quickly made their way back to the Caldera, where the people of the Sands were making their final preparations. They would need to move soon, the build up had consumed many resources and a new influx was needed. As he returned to his home, Mazir found an old map he had and spread it across his table, and he also sent for Nomad, Salima, Berel and Kelet. As he waited, he poured over the map, his force would need to move somewhere, but where? The Sun Plains to the south were one option, but that had relatively little mineral wealth that his people needed. Val Aman was one possibility, but it's mountainous terrain might inhibit his people and the wet climate would make things difficult for the sand benders, though the abundance of stones might even the odds. Taeless had many of the resources his people needed, but it also was a wild card, its population had plenty of martial experience with their little show wars, but that was all according to text he had collected, he had yet to visit the land it's self.

The four soon found their way in, each of his lieutenants had been plying their skill wherever he needed them to to make for the preparation.

Salima he said I need you and a few others whom you trust to scout ahead." he said pointing to the map I'll be the first ot admit that I know little of the lands beyond the Sands, and apart from Harlakake, I know of no other settlements that might be closer on our path to spread the sands. See if there is anyone here that might have the knowledge, then start the scouting trip.

Berel and Nomad he said the two How many spell casters stand ready for the march, I understand we only started the sandbending training, but in a week or twos time, when Salima's scouts return, I need to know how many stand ready.

Kelet, how many soldiers do was have at the ready. I know of the one hundred iron men, but how many warriors stand at the ready? I know we'll need to leave a garrison to protect the Caldera, however given that this is the only sport capable of supporting such a large population, we can leave it realistically small.

Getting a sense of my general strength (I don't know how many soldiers and spell casters I have at my disposal apart from the 100 Iron Men and I didn't want to presume as a player) and sending out scout to see where best to strike.

[+4 Intelligence] While I may have only outdated information, I still use my old information to the best effect I can in asking Salima where to send the spies.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Adam - Under Sellos

It was tiring work, trying to organise what could essentially be a trading company from scratch. It was bad enough he did not have enough dwarves to help out, but trying to keep the paper work sorted was hell on it's own. It was fortuante that some of his older brothers were better at it than he was, and he left it to their care while he focused on keeping the place efficient.

Work was tough, and he knew he needed more people. A trip to the Sun Plains was not a bad idea, as it would mean he could go on a recruitment drive on the way, stopping in every town to craft weaponry that the people could see, and then show them where they could go to make it themselves.

However, he thought, the rising problem was protection. Since he gained his new found insight into how the body worked, he had noticed just how easy it would be for someone to bring a band of braggarts over, and if they could get past Kovar's Muscle Men, they could just run ragid all over Under-Sellos. If he was there, this wouldn't be a problem. If he was going to be a sufficient leader, he would have to appoint a deputy when he was away.

Telling Thadroin to keep things safe was good and all, but just Thadroin and the dwarves wouldn't be enough. The man was tough, but an army could topple him.

He needed an edge.

It was then that he remembered the mysterious Armour that he and Kovar had made, and pondered, if he were to try that again, infuse a two weapons with his spark - a banner that would inspire the people around him, and a hammer or a sword or an... even an axe that Emminated the power of War itself, combining that with the armour would make it's wielder a formidable foe indeed.

A formidable foe capable of guarding an entire city.

He grinned, a little too happy at the prospect of making weaponry, and set to work.

Action:
First up, time to make a weapon for thadroin, one that I know he can hold
Dwarf (Divine) +2 - Creating things, piece of cake.
War (Divine) +2 - With this Axe/Hammer/Sword/Whateveriseasyforhimtowield I grant you the strength to protect my people, keep them from harm, and bless them with your chivalry. Also don't get too drunk at Annie's or I will be very cross.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Wilhelm

The people did not know what to make of the bug-men. A primal fear in them screamed that they should be attempting to murder them and yet the insectoid villagers were awkwardly polite and tried to be friendly. Yet they were strange and alien. Near the end of the returns of the villagers to nearby, one of your people reported to you. He informed Wilhelm that the people outside were beginning to make a big wall around them. It was mostly a wooden palisade that he had seen, but there had been the beginnings of frameworks to start moving and settling stone.

Octagon

A spider's form was at its core pliable and flexible, capable of great deformation because it did not need to maintain a strict shape and preserve key joints. The burrowing spiders provided an interesting challenge, because they would need to apply great force which would damage them. Not only this but to pry through rock they would need tough sinew and bone, which would compromise the form. From this Octagon could see two options, the first was to deviate from the arachnid form and branch out into something new. Or, to give the spiders the sharpest claws he could devise and to coat them with acid so as to carve through the rock. The former would be quicker and more efficient, the latter would be less so but remain true to his new form.

Success, although I'm giving you a choice here as the spiders will be slower at it.

Beltheus

Finding a house to suit his needs was difficult in the fact the many houses in Taeless that fell on hard times often relied on the Arena as a last ditch attempt to win things back. Sometimes it worked, often it did not. As a result he found one house where a warrior had simply been maimed instead of murdered and his family had drifted away. The Kohesh family had sold their estates and moved to a less affluent part of the city before they'd been forced into the slums. The man, Foruk seemed to be in a slow death of the soul and was slowly disengaging from the world. His wife had died two years ago and his son made a living as a clerk for one of the local military companies. They were not well off, but they were not starving. A few cousins had married off into other families and the sister of the son had moved up to Sellos in the far north west to marry a miner. By all accounts she was doing okay although people wondered if she had gone mad, as her last letter had talked about men and woman that had grown short, hairy and started living underground while others in the town had grown to the size of giants. The family was for most intents and purposes dead, save only for a name that would be passed down from the son to his son, as his wife was expecting soon and they had made all the proper auguries and found it to be a boy.

Civar and Ilvis

Civar and Ilvis mounted the Horse and hit 88mph, breaking through the fabric of space and into the very court of the Emperor himself. There was a distinct stunned pause as the horse arrived in the middle of the marble room, but the silence was quickly broken by the canter of the horse as it ran towards the throne. Before anyone in the room could react, Ilvis leapt from the Horse, her sword ablaze and shouted out; "Reveal your true form, Demon!" As she plunged her blade into the chest of the Emperor. The stunned silence drew out into a century as the court held their breath waiting to see what happened. The Emperor had red irises, and his pose had been haughty and prideful but yet...the blade blazed a brilliant mixture of black and white with a strange crimson edge. Yet the Emperor did not change at all, and his eyes were still wide when one of the guards regained his senses and yelled out;

"Invaders! Murderers! They have attacked the Emperor! Slay them."

The Emperor's chest moved rapidly, blood starting to glisten around the edge of the blade. It was not a pleasant wound, but it would not kill the man if he were to receive help.

The Emperor is not a demon and the sword is confused as he is both the definition of law in this place, yet has done things which are in some way unjust. This is a Success as it reveals some things about him to you that you did not know and are difficult to learn.

Rathin

The trek northward took a number of days, but Orcs were hardy and so it was not so difficult to move faster and longer than men and woman. On the fourth day they encountered the group of men and women who had gone to the water hole before them. They were a friendly tribe, and were willing to welcome those who walked with Rathin in for a meal despite their strangeness. One of them mentioned that although the Orcs were fearsome looking, she had a feeling that they were not demons and that there was a kind of kindness to them, just like the woman they had met who could call water and walk to another place through it.

Edo

"We know where you came from Edo." One of the neutral Magisters replied. "Blackwater does not take kindly to our kind, yet you walk up to us now and tell us how to do our jobs?" He said and another one, a radical one who followed Johrset. "The Magisters have served the Empire, to protect it from those within with the power to tear it apart. Which is what you are doing now. You are the one who has caused this to happen Edo by challenging the Emperor. Even now you seek to rise up against him! Have you even petitioned him? With all of your mighty and divine power, surely you could force him to agree to see you." He says in a patient, droll and urbane voice that cuts to the centre of the matter. Yet from this some of the Magisters agreed that if the Emperor had been influenced by a fell power, that the matter should be investigated.

Then those that had kept on the palace side of the river went white and froze. "The Emperor has been attacked, in his palace, by men from the south! Arandians have come into the throne-room!" One of them says with amazement and fear. The Magisters looked to Edo then, waiting to see how he would react.

Kovar

When Kovar agreed and let Burd swear the bond in his name he felt...he felt something. There was a small rush of power there, as something which was important to him and his lieutenant was sanctified in his name. By doing so the bond became a part of him in a metaphysical sense, and his bond to Burd grew stronger as well. Sometimes as they trained he could hear a second heartbeat, which grew faster as Burd laboured in his drills and later relaxed as he rested. Burd was strong, tough and had solid endurance. Adam was a solid sort of person but he was not used to long periods of exertion and it was only because he'd been a god like Kovar that he'd done as well as he had. Despite this though it took Burd longer to internalise all the lessons and so the training would take time. Kovar could sense a frustration in Burd, who felt disappointed that he would be outdone so by Adam but unless Kovar tried to directly transplant the knowledge into Burd with who knew what possible risks there was no way to speed the process except for time and patience.

Success, but as Burd is not a god it takes him longer to learn the lessons.

Mazir

"By my reckoning sir we have 100 of the Iron Men, fifty who can move sand well enough to fight and only ten who can make the Sand Men." Nomad replied simply and Berel nodded, adding "Not including ourselves Great Mazir. Should you leave one of us behind, we could continue training more which would allow you to leave a reduced force here." Salima waited until Mazir finished discussing the details of their strength and gestured to the map of the surroundings land that you had made by her description.

To the north there are the mining towns, Sellos is the main hub of these but it's quite a distance away from Harlakake. There are smaller closer towns along the way whose names are mostly only known by the locals. To the south the land starts opening out into the food bowls. That leads down to the Sun Plains, which is mostly populated by nomadic tribes and is a dry land. To the north of that is a wetter and fertile belt which grows much of the grains of Taeless. To the east of Harlakake is the capital of Taeless. Those are the major districts around Harlakake, although I would suggest that it would be the best place to start our conquest.

Adam

The weapon was...well suited to war. It was sharp and its edge swung easily towards its foes. But there was an eagerness to the weapon and although it was a beautiful exterior its heart was much uglier. It would definitely go well with the armour, although looking at it now Adam could not help that it was better suited to Kovar's ambitions. Yet...if he was honest with himself, the part of him that was now grounded in war sang to the axe and it sang back. Part of him liked the idea and the power in it, the capacity to wade into battle and be confident he would fell his enemies. Even if it was a part of himself he kept buried beneath the rest of him.

You rolled just under, so I had you succeed with a consequence. Which is the Axe is suited to a war of conquest, not a defensive war and it will affects its wielder in that way as well. Some might even consider it to be cursed.

Farro Kapersi

As Farro arrived in Elysia he saw people wandering around, not looking around much with a kind of haunted expression in their eyes. Some of the people were more confident and seem to be using some kind of magic to move and shape sand. Those that did so all shared a strange green tattoo on the nape of their necks that glowed vividly. There was also a strange obsidian and gold temple outside of the city, where gathered around it appeared to be giant suits of armour and large men like creatures made out of sand. Farro sensed a power from inside that place, something similar to him and yet...different fundamentally in some way.

But his sense led him to a bar. There was mostly only locals there all with the same haunted expression. They seemed to be nursing mugs that were all empty and there was a young woman who was sweeping sand around. Farro knew it was Lydia. She had he mother's hair and eyes, although she let it fall longer and she had the body of a child that had mostly but not entirely grown into woman hood. Nobody looked at Farro at all, which was strange for in a place like this a stranger should attract attention.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 14, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Eosia, Eisos- Throne Room)

"Erm, well. Bollocks."

(Bad plan, or worst plan? No, this is clearly still a good plan. If he was a good person he wouldn't have been stabbed. Also, glowy red eyes are probably definitely bad. Ahhhhh now he's looking over here right at me. Is he dying? drat I hope he doesn't die. Regicide is definitely a crime isn't it? Wait no, killing tyrants shouldn't count should it? By nature of their illegal and unnatural acts they abrogate the implicit social contract between ruler and ruled, and if he was an alright guy he wouldn't be catching fire and oh balls here come the guards)

Stepping forward before any of the guards (or the Emperor) have the chance to react, I grasp the Sword and channel the full force of my flame, gathering it into one single extension of indomitable will as I utter one word and drive him to his knees as the crackling fire begins to rush around us.

"Burn."

"-wait no, I mean-"

"Repent."

(aaaaaaahthey'restillcomingballsballsgetawaycan'tletgohe'lldietopofthestairstopofthestairstopofthestairs!)

When in doubt? Double down. Action to burn the bloody bejeezus out of this poor son of a bitch force the Emperor to repent his evil deeds through hot roasting of his heart. I'm going to stab the sword down and pin him to the ground like a butterfly on one of those sad velvet display case things, and burn him non-lethally with justice flames and make him recant his naughty deeds. (poo poo I hope he's got some really REALLY naughty deeds) Oh and also move slightly over to a not-surrounded position in the room for all of this.

D: Sacred Sword +2- This is it, proving mens hearts and performing non-lethal heart-stabbing related miracles. With a holy sword that only kills people if they're bad blokes who have it coming (but might maim or brutally injure them regardless).
D: Justice +2- Look alright so it MIGHT not be strictly construed as justice to ride into a guy's living room and stab him in the heart. But! The stabbing is just sort of incidental and the main thing here is that it's not exactly the sort of stab that will kill a fellow so much as make him admit his misdeeds in the hopes of making it stop. And it only hurts because you're bad, we know that for sure.
D: Travel +2- Actually you know what, let's do this thing where I push the Sword and him down into the ground slightly maybe 20 yards AWAY from all of these incoming guards. Like to the middle of the room or top of the stairs or something. Somewhere with good line of sight and acoustics for sure. We'll just nip on over there real quick and not be completely surrounded by angry imperial soldiers, shall we?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Farro's update was added in just before

The Death of an Emperor

Eisner stood there, his sword impaled through the Emperor. He could see the clear signs of the Emperor's demonic taint, the red pupils and the rumours of his new found powers. Clearly he had to be evil, he knew it, the Sword had evil shone black in part. As he willed the Emperor to burn for his sins the Sword shuddered in his hands. Emperor Johrset XXIII screamed as his eyes and very blood began to boil and in his final moments he cried out in agony and in sadness.

"Beltheus, please save my people for me!"

Then he died. Silence filled the throne room of Eosia as Eisner Faust, Knight of Arandia stood over the Emperor of Eosia with his blood on his hands. The Sword in his hands felt heavy somehow, for he had finally felt the man's full weight of his heart in his final moments. He had been tempted by evil power, yes, but he had made a sacrifice to save his kingdom from a civil war that had begun to rip it apart. There were small crimes here and there, but they were mostly the things every person accrued through a lifetime. So few people lived in perfect virtue and the Emperor while perhaps a little prideful and shortshighted, had mostly tried to do well as his nation's ruler.

Now he was dead. Dead by Eisner Faust's hands. There was not any great justice in this, only murder.

The silence seemed to be sucked out of the room by wailing and yelling.

"MURDERER! ARANDIAN INFIDEL! SLAY HIM AND HIS KINSFOLK!"

The guards started surging and the three Magisters in the room began to draw in their power to send against Civar and Ilvis.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo

Edo listens to the complaints obstinately, his face visibly hardening at the neutral magisters' cowardice in the face of a true threat to the empire that was far greater than any class riot. Let alone that dig at Blackwater - if anyone should know why magic can be a bad thing and the former slave colonies distrust its practitioners it's a magister! He's just about to let everyone present have it when the pro-emperor faction reveals the attack on the emperor from foreigners.

An outrage! If anyone was going to punish the emperor for his crime of demon worship it should be an Eosian. It should be Edo. "We must go there immediately," Edo cried. "You know where I stand on the emperor abandoning his Eosian heritage. But this is a matter for Eosians to solve, not foreigners from the south. Please, help me open a gate to the throne room that we can catch and interrogate the perpetrators. I fear they work in collusion with the demons. Who else would want us to fight each other? That was never my aim."

Using divine magic +2 to teleport Edo, Val, the living magic and any magisters wishing to join to the throne room. Hopefully the magisters can assist given the high roll required for teleporting magic. Pretty sure Edo's foible should be at work here too - this isn't exactly going to his preferred plan.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

After much deliberation and contemplation, Octagon decided to create these new diggers in his own image. While there were... other forms perhaps more suited to the menial labor of carving tunnels through stone, he would not rob his children of their blessings so quickly. There were other... lesser creatures for this purpose. He would need to acquire them, and mold them, too. As soon as the new workers were ready, he sent them scurrying off to the Queen.

In the meantime, while he waited, Octagon began to tinker with new and exotic poisons. A sort that may be of great benefit to his new children...

I'm going to use the Divine Quality of Toxin [+2] and the Mortal Quality of Poisoning [+2] to engineer a new venom/counter-venom combination while I wait for things to come to fruition. It will be a combination of paralytic/preservative, rendering a victim helpless and alive for extremely long periods of time to ensure maximum freshness! They can also be "revived" with the counter-venom if their purpose isn't immediately dietary.

I'm fine with skipping ahead to the next major event in Val Setin, be it word from Elkud or whatever it is the Queen is cooking up.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 15, 2013

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar "Kingslayer's Accomplice" Kit'An (Eosia, Eosis)

Eisner stuck a sword in the Emperor as soon as we arrived. That's bad. Then he burned the emperor to a crisp. Which was good, kind of. Except for the part where he died crying out for his people's salvation. That, that was a bad sign. Did Eisner just kill an innocen(ish) man? He and his sword weren't doing a very good job of picking out the bad guys. We needed to talk. And then there were all the angry men with swords. That's when my survival instincts kicked in. Survive first, moralize later.

Grabbing hold of the air in the room I slammed out a blast of wind powerful enough to knock a man off his feet, but bound with order to carry my words instead of howling insensibly. "Halt!"

Divine action - Buy some time to start talking +4
Weather +2 storm type gust front (strong wind) to knock people rear end over teacup
Order +2 binding the weather effects to my voice so that people hear what I'm saying instead of the unintelligible howling of the wind

I love the bit about Puppies being a Knight of Arandia. I kinda forgot that. Oops. This is going to turn into a glorious mess when Edo arrives and I love it. If we get real dead, well, we rolled the dice and lost. Them's the shakes. I would of course prefer to kill everyone who disagrees with me, but we don't always get what we want.

Per discussion with Nenji, I've got a speech planned if this works to keep us from dying/having to murder everyone immediately.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 15, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Eosia, Eisos- Throne Room)

"wait, no that's not what I meant-"

I stared downward at the remains of Emperor Johrset XXIII as they slid dryly off of my blade.

"That's not what I wanted to happen! You have to understand, that's not what was supposed to happen!"

The guards rushed in, faces hard and angry, weapons raised to strike me down and reflexively I stepped back, shearing through their blades as if they were grain before a scythe.

"No, listen to me. Stop what you're doing. I don't want to hurt any of you, just stop-"

And then Civar's voice rings out, loud and thunderous and huge, knocking them off their feet before I have to swing my Sword in self defence. I raise the soot-stained Sword high and raise my voice to join Civar's, speaking quietly and calmly in the spaces between his mighty bursts.

"Listen to me. Look around you, your empire is in shambles, on the edge of a civil war already and you want to start another war with Arandia? There is a poison seeping into the underbelly of your society, a foul drug which ruins the lives of men, bandits and outlaws have begun to pick away at the edges of orderly life, and the Emperor, he HAD changed didn't he? All of you know this. Those of you here and now have seen it for yourself or know someone who has, his demonic visage or erratic behaviour."

Subdued but still bright, the light of the blade ignites somewhat reluctantly but surely and I feel its comforting heat lend weight to my words.

"This is a flame which suffers no evil to live. It cannot harm the blameless. But the Emperor, Johrset. He made a pact with a monster, willingly giving himself and his people over in a desperate bid to maintain order. I... I saw into his heart before he died. I saw his sins, which admittedly were not many. But this is proof, proof as those in the streets already know, that there is something gravely wrong in Eosia and terrible changes are in store for the world. This is not the time to fracture, to slay one another, or throw society into disarray and cause suffering for the common folk with a costly and dangerous war. This is the time to stand together! Join hands and make right the ills of this city, this Empire, the world!"

Once you double down, might as well double down again. It's the only way you can win that money back!

Divine action to support Civar's proclamation, all in. I'll pop up my Sword for inspirational effects and use Travel to help promulgate the effects of the speech.

D: Justice +2 - Look right, so the writing has been on the wall here for some time now and pretty obvious for all to see. Things in Eosia HAVE been pretty lovely, and that's apparently? been caused by this Beltheus character, who also seems to have manipulated the Emperor into becoming some sort of red-eyed monster, which is still a thing. I mean really now, this isn't the time for a civil war or fighting other states not when there are towns being attacked by outlaws, some sort of horrible drug addiction sapping your health, and a literal evil monster out there pulling the strings. This is not just a threat that effects those of us in the room, as Beltheus' actions present a danger to the world. We must, absolutely MUST pull together and do the right thing (i.e. not kill each other and fracture the kingdom/cause more damage to the fabric of an otherwise orderly and just society further)
D: Sacred Sword +2 - It's a bit err, smudged. But it's still got that glam to it right? All inspirational and the like? :(
D: Travel +2 - Let those of you who hear the word, carry and share it with others in your travels.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg

"Do you know how much people pay for a big, stone wall? It's so much that we don't even have one!" Wilhelm is excited. It is clear that the wall is meant as a containment device, but such does little for those who could climb anything that is not polished smooth or able to fly. The logic behind the outlying villages' actions is clearly motivated by fear and panic, but it is a silly decision that costed them many manhours and time out of the fields. It was good that no one was harmed during the small spat, but the quicker that the silliness would end, the better for everyone.

"Go and help them. Dismantle our old homes and use the stone for this. We'll do this right the first time!"

Wilhelm is going to use Hivemind Usurper +2 and Insect Lord +2 at the front to personally assist in shoring up a wall made out of whatever stone they can salvage from Minburg's old buildings. The Minburgians will coordinate their effort with the others if it's wanted, or will work elsewhere on the wall if they are repelled. Wilhelm will lead from the front!

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos

quote:

***Kovar watched as Burd finished the days training, it had been slower than with Adam, but that was to be expected. What truly interested Kovar was the electric sensation when Burd swore the bond in his name, and the bond that had been growing since then.

Kovar: Sensing that his lieutenant was frustrated by his slower progress, Kovar walked over with his canteen and handed it to Burd, "You're doing well. Faster than when I was a student anyhow."

Burd: That comment seemed to cheer Burd a little, with only Adam to compare himself against he came up as inadequate.

Burd: "That's very kind of you to say sir."

***Kovar smiled. "I have a question, did you feel something strange while training, some sort of connection with me?"

Burd: "I have always felt that connection since you changed me, Sir." Burd replies seriously.

***Kovar seems somewhat taken aback, "Truly?"

Burd: "Indeed, sir."

Kovar: "It was as though I could feel your heart beating next to my own."

Burd: "I hope it was not displeasing, I am quite afraid I cannot live without my heart beating, sir."

***Kovar laughs, "Quite the opposite, it was reassuring in a way. Has your connection ever been affected by things like distance to me?"

Burd: "No. I always feel a firm and confident presence in the back of my mind. Sometimes I know that there is something I need to do, even though no one ever tells me it."

***Kovar seemed fascinated by this. "This is extraordinary. Can you give me an example of one of the things you've done as a result of one of these feelings?"

Burd: "I organised to have the yard set up." Burd replies, gesturing to where the Dwarves were still setting up the equipment.

Kovar: "Hmmm... I had been meaning to ask about something like that. It's always been said a good lieutenant knows what his commander wants before the commander himself does, though in this case it appears to be a bit more literal."

Burd: "Thadroin is much the same I think."

Kovar: "Really? That would have some interesting implications about Adam's subconscious then. Anyhow, this presence, how do you feel about it? I could attempt to weaken the link if you find it unpleasant." Kovar clearly does not wish to do so, but Burd is his protege and right-hand, so it's more important that he be comfortable with what was occurring.

Burd: "It does not bother me."

Kovar: "Would you be comfortable with trying to deepen the bond? If we can use it to better understand each other, or allow us to communicate instantly across great distance, or possibly allow me to channel my power through you it would be invaluable."

Burd: "If you wish to then I have no complaint, Sir." Burd replies in a neutral sort of manner.

***Kovar seems skeptical, "It is important that you are honest with me. I rely on your candor, and considering the nature of this connection I would not wish to damage it by pursing something you were uncomfortable with."

Burd: "I have no thoughts on the matter either way so. However you wish to proceed is your choice." Now Burd sounds kind of...emotionless. A flatness seems to spread across his face from his eyes.

Burd: Then they go out for a brief moment as another voice continues,

Burd: "It is your choice on how you interact with your people Kovar."

Burd: There is a timeless quality and a deep...depth to it.

Burd: Suddenly Burd blinks and looks apologetic.

Burd: "I am terribly sorry, sir, I fear I fell asleep for a moment."

***Kovar seems taken aback for a moment, but quickly tries to clamp down on his surprise to disguise what had just happened from Burd, though considering the bond that had just been revealed it might be a futile effort.

Kovar: "Can you tell me the last thing you recall?" Kovar's voice is carefully neutral.

Burd: "You were asking if you could work with our bond, which I did not mind. But I felt drowsy and I can't remember if I said so or not."

***Kovar seemed pensive for a moment. However, he decides that if Burd is truly to be his right hand, then he must be kept in the loop on occurrences like this, and be prepared to deal with them. "While you were asleep, you spoke with another voice."

Burd: "Another voice? Do you know who it was?"

***Kovar racks his brain, trying to think back to if he had ever heard that voice before.

Kovar: "No, I do not know their identity. It was odd."

Kovar: "Anyhow, until we know more I think our best way forward is to attempt to deepen our bond."

Burd: "As you say, Sir." Burd replied, as Kovar seemed to have made up his mind.

The voice, troubled Kovar, but worrying about things one could not control was a fools game, and if he strengthened their bond, Kovar would perhaps be better equipped to detect and shield Burd from outside forces attempting to influence him. No matter from which direction he looked at things, strengthening the bond seemed the natural way forward.

So, Kovar instructed Burd to sit down cross-legged on the ground, and Kovar sooned joined him. The two were facing each other, so close as to be almost touching. Leading them both into a meditative state, Kovar cleared his thoughts and knew Burd did the same. He reached deep within himself, finding the sense that had guided him, he had once felt it as a light, showing a way through a swamp of infinite futures illuminating all before him. Now, though, he attempted to focus the light, rather than illuminating many things to focus only on the bond between him and Burd, attempting to learn all there was to learn about it. At the same time, he reached for the power within him that had first changed burd and established this bond. It had proven itself to be the power to strengthen people, animals, plants, even armor. Now, he would pour all he could into strengthening the bond between him and Burd.

Trying to strengthen the divine bond between Kovar and Burd.

Divine Strategy[+2] - Kovar tries to focus this power down to examine and enhance the bond between them. After all, the very best lieutenants are their commanders' tactical and strategic alter-egos.

Strength[+2] - Kovar has the power to strengthen things, so now he turns the full force of his power to strengthen his bond with Burd.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Rathin Stonewill Sun Plains: Tribe Camp.

Rathin smiles, "It is good to be in the company of such a kind tribe, but we Orcs must insist we earn our keep. We will help you with whatever needs doing."

Rathin directs his comrades to assist the tribe anyway they can and they stay and have a nice meal and trade for supplies. Upon hearing of the kind lady that could use water portals his interest is peaked, "Hmm, there was an oasis we camped at and our night-guard heard a voice carried on the wind. It was soothing, and comforting. Yet, she never spoke to us, never asked for anything in return for the bountiful place and the water which is at a premium out here.

I think it might have been the same person. Why do you think she never tried to speak to us?

"What do you know about her?

"Do you know how we may speak with her? I have counted her among a friend of the Orcs and I would wish to convey this status to her personally."

Going to ask these people about the women that can summon water and use water portals as well as build up some good will with this tribe.

D: Orc[+2] To help out around the camp with our superior abilities and build up some good will with this tribe.
M: Wanderer [+2] To use any information I get from them and piece it together with what I've heard elsewhere and try to get a clear picture of this area and this women that has strange powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Farro Kapersi - Elysia
Update 8

(1:06:58 AM) Nenji: Lydia looks at the door, looks around, makes sure no is around, then makes sure to sweep out all the sand in the doorway first before shutting it.

(1:07:09 AM) Nenji: She looks at Farro with fear in her eyes and whispers harshly;

(1:07:25 AM) Nenji: "Who are you? What do you want? Do you know how much danger I am in talking to you like this?"

(1:08:20 AM) Farro: "Farro, I'm here fulfilling a favor for your mother, and no. Although I expect it has something to do with whoever lives in that temple."

(1:09:11 AM) Farro: "I'm assuming that's a new addition since nobody mentioned it in Harlakake."

(1:10:41 AM) Nenji: "My mother died when I was little, so I don't know who asked you to do what but they're lying." She says with a distance in her eyes before continuing. "That's Mazir. He came into town years ago but a few months ago something changed. Now he has power, I don't know what, but we are all marked." She says with a touch of fear in her voice and turns a bit, gesturing to her neck where that symbol he'd seen before pulsed a kind of dull neon green. "He doesn't own us...but he might as well." She says with a kind of harsh laugh.

(1:16:28 AM) Farro: "Nobody mentioned men made of sand either. Or the people flinging it around like they have it on a leash. That new as well?"

(1:18:40 AM) Nenji: "It is Mazir's power. He can shape sand...he can make it into stone or even living flesh! His servant Nomad was once two people, Hartun and Zel, but they did something and now...now they are this...thing. It looks like a man but has black skin and no hair. He can take your soul and use it. When we die we will just be used to make the iron men or some other...thing in his army."

(1:21:47 AM) ***Farro furrows his brow.

(1:23:56 AM) Farro: "Can't say I know much about magic but moving souls around might explain the goosebumps this place gives me. Gives you as good a reason as any to not be here. So why exactly are you still here? No caravans leaving town?"

(1:30:54 AM) Nenji: "Nobody leaves Farro. When the tribes came Mazir spoke to them, he killed the old leaders and told them that they worked for him. Anyone who resisted was killed and...and..." Lydia cuts off for a moment there before continuing.

(1:31:31 AM) Nenji: "Anyway, we're all stuck here now. Some people tried to escape but they just died in the desert. Without the tribes to guide them no one can find the water holes."

(1:34:56 AM) Farro: "Fantastic. That makes things a whole lot more difficult for me. Crossing the desert running away from someone who controls sand sounds like a great way to get killed."

(1:42:22 AM) Farro: "Alright, here's the deal: we can have fun arguing that your mother died nine years ago when we're not stuck in the middle of a desert ruled by a soulsucking wizard thing. And even if she did die, a deal's a deal. I'm supposed to protect you so we're getting the hell out of here. If you don't mind I'm going to skip the bit where you ask a bunch of questions about how I'm going to do that, and just do it."

Before Lydia has time to react, Farro pulls the shortsword from the silver scabbard and whirls around behind her. With a curt slash, he attempts to sever the metaphysical connection between Lydia and Mazir to remove the mark, drawing on the power of his Contract to protect her.

Divine: Contracts +2 to break Lydia's bond to Mazir. Hi Jimmy! :v:

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 23, 2013

• Locked thread