Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Muslim Wookie posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. The A4 version of that printer doesn't appear to come with network capability, I guess I should have mentioned that.

The A3 version comes with gbit ethernet as an optional extra, so it's in my bad books already - in what other areas are we going to get nickel and dimed? I'll have a look through some reviews though, appreciate the help.

You don't need gigabit ethernet to get good printing speeds. As long as the printer has a decent amount of memory(which those do) and is good at spooling, it should print reasonably quickly. The gigabit ethernet port is used for adding a Fiery controller or for paranoid IT guys. :)
And I recommended the wrong A4 printer, the right one is the MPC300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Speaking of memory, I'd like to expand the memory on my Brother HL-5340D. Will this Chinese memory on eBay do the trick? I guess the even better question is whether it's worth $7 to upgrade and if I'll see any performance increase.
It's been so long since the thought of PC133 SODIMMs have even crossed my mind.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Why do you think you need more memory? Are you experiencing really slow RIP times?

On the other hand, $7? Just do it!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Heads up, Brother® HL-2280DW is $100 at Staples and Office Depot. Very nearly the 2270 sale price.
It's simply the 2270DW wireless Duplex BW laser printer + a built-in scanner (and LED display so you can connect wirelessly without first connecting to a PC wired).

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 18, 2013

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Brother HL-2270DW is on sale at Amazon for a record low of $78 and it probably won't last long.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Can anyone suggest the best home-tier color laser with wireless that I can snag?

Color is mandatory, and wireless would be extremely helpful - but I can setup a print server at home if needed.

I'm tired of watching the girlfriend shell out $30 - 60 for ink on a regular basis. She's a teacher who prints a LOT and mostly color. Sadly, she works for a poor school district with minimal printing options at work.

Budget is flexible; I'll go upwards of $500 if I absolutely have to. Would love to stay under though.

edit: currently eyeballing the Brother HL-3075CW but am not yet dead-set.

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 20, 2013

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Walked posted:

Can anyone suggest the best home-tier color laser with wireless that I can snag?

Color is mandatory, and wireless would be extremely helpful - but I can setup a print server at home if needed.

I'm tired of watching the girlfriend shell out $30 - 60 for ink on a regular basis. She's a teacher who prints a LOT and mostly color. Sadly, she works for a poor school district with minimal printing options at work.

Budget is flexible; I'll go upwards of $500 if I absolutely have to. Would love to stay under though.

I'm in something of a similar boat - looking for a $400-$500 color printer that will let me print photos and illustrations in the office - looking for something that will get me rich colors for printing up sweet screenshots and concept art. 11x17 support would be a bonus, but not necessary.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Is there a difference between all the different toner refills around? I'm looking to refill a Brother TN2250 (TN450 to some of you guys)..

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

Walked posted:

I own two brother color lasers, both that would be in your budget. At home I have the HL-3075CW ($240 new and $150 referb) and on the road I have the HL-4150CDN ($313 on amazon).

I like both printers and I think either would help your girlfriend out. I have both printers connected to a wireless router via ethernet and it works great. I haven't given the onboard wifi a chance. Speed is great, the time for the first page is on the 4150 is a bit long but it shoots them out after that. The 4150 comes with long life drums while the 3075 is just a starter pack. The 4150 has a better media try for printing on think material like stickers or index cards, it claims the tray can hold 50 sheets while the 3075 has to be feed individually. Could be useful for a teacher.

One downside is neither printer is supported by Apple's Airprint. You can print from an Iphone but you have to use brothers app which I find clunky. I havent been blown away by the color on either of them. I do have it in toner save mode because I am a cheap rear end. I wouldn't trust it for a client but for printing out a bunch of things to proof interoffice it might be ok.

Speaking of Airprint does anyone have any good back door ways to get it work with other printers? It seems ridiculous I can print from an app but I cant print from IOS

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I just received a free HP F4580 (a budget all in one) and it can do wireless printing, however to do that I have to install the HP software, which is generally crappy, slow and annoying.

So does anyone know if there's a way to get wireless printing working without installing their software? I'm on Windows 8 if that matters.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If you plug the printer into your router, your computer can still be wireless and print.

You might still need to install their software to make network scanning work.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You could also try going through the add printer wizard, it might detect it automatically. That works for my Brother wireless printer. But if you want the scanning, you'll probably have no choice but to install their software.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Sound_man posted:

Speaking of Airprint does anyone have any good back door ways to get it work with other printers? It seems ridiculous I can print from an app but I cant print from IOS

https://www.collobos.com among other options, as long as you have a Mac/PC to host the software on. Not a simple task to hack Airprint functionality into printer firmware, even if it is already wireless-capable.

devoir fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 1, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did you mean http://www.collobos.com/index.php ?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Guy Axlerod posted:

If you plug the printer into your router, your computer can still be wireless and print.

You might still need to install their software to make network scanning work.

My router doesn't have any USB ports :( OK HP you win this time.

But I might try setting it up and then uninstalling the junk software hopefully that will work.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

My router doesn't have any USB ports :( OK HP you win this time.

But I might try setting it up and then uninstalling the junk software hopefully that will work.

I meant by Ethernet, unless your printer doesn't have an Ethernet port.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Yerp. Edited my original, thanks.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The Brother 2270DW is under $100 w/shipping on newegg.com. I'm looking at picking this up but I'm curious as to how it works. I'm assuming I have to connect to it via USB to set up (give it my wireless network name and password) and then can connect to it wirelessly and print to it, but I'm not sure if I have to have it plugged in to the router, or if I can have it set up in a different room from my router and the only cable it has to use is the power cable. If someone here has it, can you let me know if I'm right on this? I don't want to have to set it up next to the router, and don't want to spend $100 to find out.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It does use WiFi.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
So my girlfriend and I moved in together a few months ago and we each bring our own printer to the table, but we only have room in the apartment for one.

I have a Canon Pixma MX330 Inkjet Office All-in-One printer which I purchased back in 2010.

She has a HP Photosmart e-All-in-One Printer that is somewhat older, but not sure by how much.

I believe they're fundamentally the same in terms of being able to scan, copy and print photos, although I think the Canon can fax (not that we do any faxing). Really, we mostly just do print.

I'm not a tech guy, so any suggestions on which we should keep and which we should get rid of?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
In my experience HP printers are much shittier than Canons.

americanzero4128 posted:

The Brother 2270DW is under $100 w/shipping on newegg.com. I'm looking at picking this up but I'm curious as to how it works. I'm assuming I have to connect to it via USB to set up (give it my wireless network name and password) and then can connect to it wirelessly and print to it, but I'm not sure if I have to have it plugged in to the router, or if I can have it set up in a different room from my router and the only cable it has to use is the power cable. If someone here has it, can you let me know if I'm right on this? I don't want to have to set it up next to the router, and don't want to spend $100 to find out.

We use a lot of them here at work. They have USB, wired and wireless connections. The default is to use the wired connection. Our procedure is to connect them to the network with the wired connection, monitor the DHCP log to see the new lease request and IP address assigned and then put that into the web browser and configure it for wireless. If you can monitor your DHCP server log then I'm sure you can install the software utility and configure stuff over the USB connection.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005

Panama Red posted:

I have a Canon Pixma MX330 Inkjet Office All-in-One printer which I purchased back in 2010.
She has a HP Photosmart e-All-in-One Printer that is somewhat older, but not sure by how much.
I'm not a tech guy, so any suggestions on which we should keep and which we should get rid of?
I'd keep which ever one has the cheapest ink, especially if you print a lot of color pages. They are both going to be similar in terms of reliability, but I think Canon is somewhat better than HP overall.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
For the 2270DW, there's a utility on this disk you use to set it up. You plug it in via USB, and then you run the utility to get it to connect to your wireless network. From there all you need is a power cord, you can move the printer anywhere and it will be connected to your wireless network.

RoosterBrewster
Dec 30, 2009
Has anyone had any experience refilling toner cartridges for home laserjet printers? I have an HP P1006 LaserJet black and white printer that uses 35a-cb435a toner cartridges and I was wondering how much of a pain in the rear end it is to refill the toner. The cartridges cost about $55 so is it worth it to buy refill kits? From looking online, it looks like I just have to drill a small hole and refill the toner, but it seems like I could have problems due to differing toner types, the electronic chip, and getting toner dust all over the place.

If it's not a pain, does anyone have any recommended sites to get refill kits? Also, are there places that can do toner refills for you because places like Costco and Walgreens only seem to refill ink cartridges.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I've only done refills on Samsung Color toners. You remove two springs, two pins, pry off a cap and refill the toner, and swap the chip for a new one. With Samsung toners (and probably others) you also have a waste toner compartment. This is one of the places that cheap refills usually fail. If the waste toner compartment fills up then you'll get horrible print quality. With the Samsungs you have to melt or drill a hole in the right spot to empty the waste toner, then cover with a piece of mylar tape.

I got my refill kits from Toner Eagle on Amazon and they were good, including color instructions, gloves, special pads to clean up toner, etc.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Anyone familiar with Konica bizhubs who can tell me where I'd configure this "AS Express" button?

I'm told by the users at the site that it's sort of a speed dial one-touch scan to folder for them and it's not working, but for the life of me I can't find any relevant settings poking around the interface nor can I even find any manuals acknowledging the existence of a button in this location.

Konica's "brilliant" idea of splitting the manual up in to 37 different PDFs isn't really helping either, but that's neither here nor there.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I would bet it is similar to what Scanrouter was on Ricoh products, a program hosted on a computer that broadcast out scan locations to all MFP's on the network. These programs are mostly obsolete now, with MFP's able to scan to SMB/FTP/SMTP without outside assistance.

Edit: This is likely why you can't find any config stuff on the MFP, as(at least on Ricoh's) the only option was to turn it on/off.
Might be easier to setup scan to email and see if the customer has LDAP to enable searching of email addresses.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 16, 2013

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
We actually do have scan-to-email at this location, this is more of a user habit problem with users who (as is all too usual) have no interest in changing their ways. Unless I can make the button go away entirely, they'll keep pushing it and complaining when it doesn't work. I can't even find a way to disable it, even Google doesn't have a single useful result for searches like 'konica "AS Express"' (no single quotes) or similar. It's like this feature isn't acknowledged by Konica nor is it used by anyone else.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

We actually do have scan-to-email at this location, this is more of a user habit problem with users who (as is all too usual) have no interest in changing their ways. Unless I can make the button go away entirely, they'll keep pushing it and complaining when it doesn't work. I can't even find a way to disable it, even Google doesn't have a single useful result for searches like 'konica "AS Express"' (no single quotes) or similar. It's like this feature isn't acknowledged by Konica nor is it used by anyone else.
Scan-to-email suuuuuuccckkkks if you're doing any larger scanning jobs. Plus, if you're doing a whole bunch of different jobs, having to receive an email for each individual file rather than batch copying is annoying.

You said you couldn't find anything "poking around the interface." Do you mean the physical interface on the printer, the web interface by connecting to the IP, or both? If you haven't checked out the configuration options over the web interface yet, I'd try there; I don't know what Konicas are right, but I know both Sharps and Xeroxes offer different configuration options over the web interface than they do from the machine itself.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Web interface only, I'm on the other side of the state from the machine so the picture is the only way I even was convinced this button existed.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm... Only other thing I can think of is maybe it's calling it something different in the web interface than on the screen there... What, exactly, is the error it's spitting out when they try to use that functionality?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
The User Guides show a very similar interface, but lacking the 'AS Express' button. I'm almost thinking it is either a user configurable button(so they made up the name themselves) or a 3rd party piece of software. But knowing the error that happens when they press it would be helpful.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Printers have such a short life cycle that it's probably pointless to try and keep the OP updated with recommended printers in certain categories, but drat that would be nice.

Could someone recommend me a printer with the following characteristics for office use by 2-3 people?

1) B&W Laser
2) Wired networking
3) Fast printing
4) High workload ("workgroup" printer)
5) High capacity tray
6) Not a piece of poo poo when it comes to labels
7) Flexible on price, just looking for high quality. Let's say the budget is $5-700 unless there's a point of diminishing return below $500.

e: /\/\/\ Complete shot in the dark, but you're not networked using airport express are you? I have zero experience with them but iirc they can act as stand-alone print servers. We have 4 different Konica Bizhubs and I have never seen that on any of ours and haven't run into anything to date in the web interface by the name of "AS Express". I bounced the question off our our copier company.

goobernoodles fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 1, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seeing as everything else they make seems to be awesome, the Brother HL-6180DW seems to do what you want.

http://www.brother.co.uk/g3v1/g3.cfm/s_page/215760/s_level/222120/s_product/HL6180DWU1/product_tool/1

For labels I'd be tempted to get a separate label printer if you're doing lots of the same size labels. I have a few Brother USB thermal printers and they are awesome for the £30 they cost. The media is reasonably priced too. You can get networked versions for a bit more cash as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apologies for the double post, AS Express seems to be related to this:

http://www.nsiautostore.com/products/autostore/capture/multifunction-devices/konica-minolta/

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Will any of the Brother Laser all in ones scan to a network location from the scanner when connected via Ethernet only? Or have the control software be able to control the scanner over the network?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Will any of the Brother Laser all in ones scan to a network location from the scanner when connected via Ethernet only? Or have the control software be able to control the scanner over the network?

I am using a MFC-7460DN that is hooked up with a static IP on ethernet set up to scan direct to a FTP server on a Synology NAS. It works well, all I have to do it tell people to select Scan to FTP on the printer and it just magically shows up in the Windows/Apple shares a couple seconds later.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Any networkable Brother MFC will scan directly either to a SMB/Windows file share or FTP server. I've never seen one that doesn't offer that ability.

I've been very fond of the MFC-8950DW we have at the main office... Nice little touch screen makes it easy for non techie people to even scan things on their own. You set it up entirely from its web interface.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Can we also post printer issues in this topic?

If so, I have an HP PhotoSmart 5510 that didn't see any action for a few weeks and now is not printing blacks properly. The print quality diagnostic looks pretty much like this, but then with the white blob on the black bar already starting about a fifth of the way through the bar. I followed every possible solution the support website offered: replaced cartridges, cleaned print heads multiple times (which somehow made things worse, it seems), aligned, checked cartridge venting, nothing helps. HP phone support won't be available for another 12 hours in my time zone and I kind of need to print stuff long before that, so I thought to see if anyone here had an idea for a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

RoosterBrewster posted:

If it's not a pain, does anyone have any recommended sites to get refill kits? Also, are there places that can do toner refills for you because places like Costco and Walgreens only seem to refill ink cartridges.
If you spill ink while re-filling inkjet cartridge you're going to have color stained fingers for a few days. If you spill toner you could possibly inhale the stuff and can destroy your vacuum cleaning it up.

There should be a local place that refills and sells cartridges. I thought the office stores do it these days, too.

• Locked thread