Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hermi On Me posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the TiVo mini?
I got one for my parents, who already had a premiere xl4 or whatever. The mini when paired with a moca device works great. You only need 1 cable card, that goes in the main tivo. The mini literally just hooks up to power, hdmi and ethernet/moca and thats it. I have lifetime plans for both tivos because in the end its cheaper and this will last for more than 4 years at least. The pricing of the Mini is really dumb but whatever, they already have the tivo and the comcast DVR is absolute dogshit so $300 is worth it to them.

I attempted to use my existing powerline ethernet solution but that didn't work at all. I only had to get 1 moca adapter because both the premiere 4 and the mini have existing moca adapters built into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We recently got a Tivo, and it is connected to a receiver then to a TV. We've had a few times recently where the TV is off, receiver is left on accidentally, and about 30 minutes after we go to bed, it starts blaring live TV.

Any ways to fix this? Ideally, it would just not ever switch back to live TV.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
That probably means someone paused live TV, then left. The TiVo only has a 30-minute buffer; after that, it resumes playing regardless. I don't know of a workaround, unfortunately.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

That probably means someone paused live TV, then left. The TiVo only has a 30-minute buffer; after that, it resumes playing regardless. I don't know of a workaround, unfortunately.

Tivo will also jump to live TV if you leave it on the menu for too long, I assume to prevent burn-in if you left a TV on. I don't think you can prevent it from doing this.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
All correct. The workaround is, remember to turn off the receiver, or make sure it is muted, or something.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Or a smart remote (like a Harmony or something) that keeps track of what it needs to turn off.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
They're doing away with the free version of Tivo Desktop.

quote:

As of June 5th, 2013 the free version of TiVo Desktop for PC will no longer be available for download. TiVo Desktop for PC lets you enjoy your music and photos on your TV. You can also transfer shows from your TiVo DVR to your PC.* Take advantage of this last chance to download the software for FREE!

While they claim that only the paid version works with Windows 8, the free one simply isn't supported but does work.

My S3 finally kicked the bucket before I had a chance to switch hard drives out. Getting it repaired is a little too much for me to want to do, even though I have lifetime on it. They don't have any deals that let me buy a new one and pay some cash to transfer lifetime over, they'll just let me pay full price for a new lifetime, so I passed on that.

The CS rep said the only time they do any sort of deals are mostly around the end of the year, so I'm a long ways off from that. By the time that comes around, I imagine I'll be used to not having it and even less reluctant on dropping hundreds of dollars on something I got used to not having.

It was nice having it in the bedroom, plus it sucks not having any sort of cable box, so I'm getting crap for channels. Oh well, I tried to give Tivo some money but they just want more than I'm willing to part with.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 6, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

chemosh6969 posted:

They're doing away with the free version of Tivo Desktop.

While they claim that only the paid version works with Windows 8, the free one simply isn't supported but does work.

Kind of an odd choice.

What are people using to snag stuff off their Tivos out of curiosity? I'm using KMTTG, was't sure if there was something better out there or not.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Maneki Neko posted:

Kind of an odd choice.

What are people using to snag stuff off their Tivos out of curiosity? I'm using KMTTG, was't sure if there was something better out there or not.

I just tried KMTTG out and although it's ugly it works well. It was much faster deleting things from that interface than using the HD one on my Premiere.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I've always used KMTTG if I needed something. It works. Their desktop software put all these useless services and icons and systray crap all over my system. Screw that.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I have an old Series 2 (dual tuner, I think) that's been sitting in a closet for years. Are these worth anything? I assume it only has standard definition analog NTSC tuners. If I remember correctly, the Series 2 was the last TiVo that could record OTA antenna TV. I was wrong.

I thought about installing a camera to record my front door and street-parked car. Is this a viable option?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 12, 2013

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

goku chewbacca posted:

I have an old Series 2 (dual tuner, I think) that's been sitting in a closet for years. Are these worth anything? I assume it only has standard definition analog NTSC tuners. If I remember correctly, the Series 2 was the last TiVo that could record OTA antenna TV.

I thought about installing a camera to record my front door and street-parked car. Is this a viable option?

The Series 3 and TivoHD worked with OTA too. I'm using an HD now.

Do the new Tivos really not work with OTA?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

LordOfThePants posted:

The Series 3 and TivoHD worked with OTA too. I'm using an HD now.

Do the new Tivos really not work with OTA?

Premiere and Premiere XL can do OTA. The Premiere 4 and 4 XL are CableCard only.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
The future of TiVo devices: SIX TUNERS. I'm not even remotely excited about this.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Supposedly better broadcom silicon, at least. Though I don't know if that was the issue so much as lovely developers.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

If all Tivo does from now until when it collapses is manage to get the FCC to push iptv or ip cable gateways or something out the door, then that's a-ok by me.

For their current lineup if they managed to get faster hardware and less terrible apps that would certainly go a long ways.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dogen posted:

Supposedly better broadcom silicon, at least. Though I don't know if that was the issue so much as lovely developers.

I was going to say that the Premiere had a dual-core CPU and it still didn't have the second core enabled for use, but I'd be wrong, it just took them a year and a half to patch the software to enable it. :sigh: Hopefully any follow-on will have a full-on HD user interface that isn't Flash-based. It was a questionable idea in 2010 to begin with, and anything having to do with Flash in The Year Of Our Lord 2013 is monumentally stupid.

The Google & Cisco settlements are the last of the disputes, right? Hopefully this means they can go back to being a DVR company, rather than a litigation firm that happens to make some DVRs.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
My Tivo Premiere with the old SD interface is fast as hell, and that's good enough for me.

I just hope future software updates address file transfer options (like being able to transfer full folders instead of one-file-at-a-time queuing, or group transfers into TiVo folders) for moving videos from my PC across my home network.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Oh! Also RF remotes I guess. That would be nice, it's something I like about the PS3 (which has a bluetooth remote, but same difference).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The PS3 is the one thing in my entire perfect world that doesn't work with my universal remote. I want to punch who ever decided not to do IR on the PS3 right in the jaw.

If Tivo did this, I would literally drive out to their HQ and burn it to the ground. All of it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IR is godawful technology and I wish the whole industry would conspire to kill it like the computer industry did to everything that wasn't USB.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IR is cheap and isn't susceptible to interference from our increasingly crowded airwaves.

You also know drat well that manufacturers would never decide on a standard nowadays. Better to have all proprietary protocols so that you have vendor tie in.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

To clarify I think it supports both, so everyone can burn down tivo, or no one. Either works.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
If the new generation has built in wifi i will probably pick one up. It's the only thing that stopped me buying one a few months back.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bugamol posted:

If the new generation has built in wifi i will probably pick one up. It's the only thing that stopped me buying one a few months back.

Surely they'll support moca like the P4s do now. I have been tempted to grab one for that reason when they go on sale as my upstairs one is running on a lovely wireless G adapter, but now I figure I might as well wait until these come out.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Premieres are on clearance at Best Buy, so it sounds like the S5 will be hitting soon. Dave Zatz has a living document with some knowns/unknowns: http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-06/tivo-series-5/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Since the FCC was stripped of their ability to enforce the cablecard mandate, I would be hesitant in investing ANY money in a TiVO right now.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bull3964 posted:

Since the FCC was stripped of their ability to enforce the cablecard mandate, I would be hesitant in investing ANY money in a TiVO right now.

Oh wow, I missed that news entirely.

It certainly seemed like everyones looking at ip gateways as the future, and a replacement for cablecard, hopefully the future is more 2014 and less 2024.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Maneki Neko posted:

Oh wow, I missed that news entirely.

It certainly seemed like everyones looking at ip gateways as the future, and a replacement for cablecard, hopefully the future is more 2014 and less 2024.

There is a bill in the house right now to end the FCC requirement that cable providers use cablecards in their own boxes: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/08/tivo-media-center-pc-makers-alarmed-by-cablecard-cutting-bill/

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Looks like the Roamio embargo is done: http://investordiscussionboard.com/boards/tivo/tivo-roamio-what-you-need-know

Oh, and they're for sale, also! $100 off lifetime if you've already got a box with one. Hello, Plus, goodbye, S3.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 20, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Man why couldn't they have put moca in the cheapest model :mad:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Engadget did a review last night.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/20/tivo-roamio-plus-review/

The good is wireless built in finally, faster, more space, more tuners, stream everywhere.

The bad is that they really didn't do much of anything else.

It's certainly the best TiVO ever, but is that really enough anymore?

They went through the trouble of making sure there's a good ATSC model available now, but all of their internet app stuff is still one step behind other media streamers. The ATSC/Streamer crowed seems like the people to target at this point for a TiVO, but they really still don't bring a strong showing to streaming.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 20, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've got one of those terabyte expanders on my old Tivo HD. Will that thing hook up to the new Romeros?

Edit: It does!

Looks like I may just get the low end one with lifetime.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 20, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Philthy posted:

I've got one of those terabyte expanders on my old Tivo HD. Will that thing hook up to the new Romeros?

Looked there was still esata ports on the new devices, should be good.

Overall, these new boxes look interesting, but I still keep hoping that someone will finally be able to make iptv work. :(

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am trying to figure out why I want Roamio (dumbest name ever) when I have two TiVo Premiere, a TiVo Stream, and external Moca adapters. Sure built in Moca would be nice, and would make my cabling less nightmarish. The Stream apparently is getting the watch anywhere on Wifi (remote viewing), so Roamio doesn't help there.

Oh god I want one. I have no reason to, but I really do.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Same here. I have no interest in the streaming functionality, which means my existing Premiere should be just peachy for the foreseeable future.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The thing that tempts me is that it's apparently much faster and Tivos sell still for a decent price on ebay, so I can just sell my old one for the new one.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

It's certainly the best TiVO ever, but is that really enough anymore?

Sadly yes. I'm going to hold out a little bit to see if they give me a better offer since I have an off-contract Premiere once the first adaptor rush is over but I am all over this.

My Slingbox is very long in the tooth and two tuners isn't cutting it anymore, especially after I sent back my piece of poo poo TWC box. This is a looks like a very solid offering to people like me that' would go insane if they had to deal with their cable co's lovely boxes and don't have a realistic way to switch providers.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

Oh god I want one. I have no reason to, but I really do.

Well, if you don't already have 4 tuners, it's compelling. Plus it not being slow as hell seems like a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's both shocking and somehow also completely unsurprising that they still haven't updated the setup screens to the HD UI.

• Locked thread