Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

That NES has lived a hard life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

It's my girlfriend's and I borrowed it until I get my own; I dare say that yes, yes it has. As for the sticker on the Super Nintendo, for some reason I've just been too lazy to remove it so far, the unit is pristine otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Katana Gomai posted:

I finally got a proper shelf for my 50kg TV and all the poo poo I have! Had to paint it white myself but it was worth it. I'm going to Tokyo in two weeks so there will be a lot of new consoles and games on this soon; I'll have to get another shelf just for games so I can free some room on this for a Famicom, Super Famicom and other stuff!

Hey there, fellow Ni No Kuni: Wizard Edition owner :smug::hf::smug:.

I am so jealous of your fancy N64. That and the plush pikmin.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'd take a pic of my setup but I'm waiting on a few things before it's "final" so I won't until then :shepface:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

midwest ink posted:

I didn't realize this game was going for that much. I got it from a local game store for $4 on the recommendation of a friend and instantly fell in love with it. The graphics are great (the explosion when you die is probably the best on nes) and I really enjoy the gravity flipping mechanic of the game and the level design did a great job of making creative ways to force you to use it. Although as you said, it gets to be very difficult late in the game.

The bolded above is one of the reasons my jaw kept dropping playing it last night. There are games out there where you can tell that the programmers had no idea what to do with the game's chosen gimmick. As an example, as much as I love Low-G Man, it suffers from that: sure you can jump really drat high, but in most levels there's no real benefit to it and in some it can even be a hindrance. You can tell that whoever designed Metal Storm's levels really put a lot of thought into them given not only how well the gravity switch was used but how varied each level is from the previous. I doubt anything remotely resembling level 6 has ever been done on the NES and probably not even into the 16-bit era.

I've got the cart and manual and would love to get my hands on the box for this one. It's just one of those games that deserves the extra :retrogames:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

The bolded above is one of the reasons my jaw kept dropping playing it last night. There are games out there where you can tell that the programmers had no idea what to do with the game's chosen gimmick. As an example, as much as I love Low-G Man, it suffers from that: sure you can jump really drat high, but in most levels there's no real benefit to it and in some it can even be a hindrance. You can tell that whoever designed Metal Storm's levels really put a lot of thought into them given not only how well the gravity switch was used but how varied each level is from the previous. I doubt anything remotely resembling level 6 has ever been done on the NES and probably not even into the 16-bit era.

I've got the cart and manual and would love to get my hands on the box for this one. It's just one of those games that deserves the extra :retrogames:

The Japanese version of Metal Storm came out after the US one and I think it's an improvement. To keep it simple, the US version used black as the "neutral" color, while the Japanese version used white. The US game looks good; the Japanese one looks great.

US Version:

Japanese Version:

Unfortunately, this is one of those rare cases where the Japanese version is just as expensive as the US one.

Have a LEGO version of the Metal Storm robot to make up for that.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I added some N64 and PS2 games to my spring cleaning sale list.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Fooley posted:

This reminds me. Does anyone have the link to that absolutely disgusting Japanese dorm that students use as a retro game clubhouse?

To be fair, that's before I cleaned up today.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

iastudent posted:

Activision Anthology and Capcom Classic. How much you want for em?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

RadicalR posted:

Activision Anthology and Capcom Classic. How much you want for em?

$7 shipped?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

iastudent posted:

$7 shipped?

Sounds good. PM me the details?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

RadicalR posted:

Sounds good. PM me the details?

PM sent.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Before I mosey over to SA Mart I figured I'd post this here

Looking to unload all this stuff. SMB2 USA is Missing the instruction manual, Hogan's Alley is CIB. I know a few people were wanting dibs on the saturn s-video cable, the twin famicom and the gba sp so feel free to send me a PM and link to the post showing you were the first one to ask me about it a while back and we'll work out a deal.

FDS games are going from top to bottom, left to right:
Ultraman something - some sort of rpg, can't figure it out. It goes w/ the twin famicom. CIB
Metroid - CIB
Meikyuu Jiin Dababa - CIB & sealed
Kid Icarus - CIB
Zelda 1 - Disk only, no plastic case. Has writing on the disk. Goes w/ the twin famicom
Zelda 2 - DIsk only w/ plastic case & software sleeve
VS Excitebike - Disk only w/ plastic case
Twinbee - Disk only w/ plastic case
Castlevania 1 - Disk only w/ plastic case & software sleeve
Moero Twinbee - Disk only w/ plastic case & software sleeve
SMB 1 & SMB 2 "lost levels" each are disk only w/ plastic case, one of them SMB2 is non-functional. The non-functional goes w/ the twin famicom (SMB1 minus world is beatable and completely different from the cartridge version)
Green Beret (Rush 'n Attack) - Disk only w/ plastic case
Vs Ice Climber & Xevious - Disk only w/ plastic case

Pier Solar too, I doubt anyone here wants to :retrogames: for it but let me know if you do, it's mint w/ all the extras it came with.

AGS-101 GBA SP w/ box. Hinge is broke on the right side but it works perfectly fine regardless. Very few scratches on the outer body.

OEM Saturn S-Video cable. I know someone here had dibs on it.

Turbo Twin Famicom fully refurbished, disk drive works like a charm.

PM me if you're interested, I'll repost this in SA mart in 24 hours after you have had time to pick it clean.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Keep the Pier Solar....y'know...in case you pull me in the swap :swoon:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Sent a PM, really interested in getting more games for my FDS!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

flyboi posted:

I'd take a pic of my setup but I'm waiting on a few things before it's "final" so I won't until then :shepface:

There is no such thing as a finished retro collection.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Oh geez, I don't even have an FDS but that Metroid is so pretty and I want it. How :retrogames: is that?

E: Email me at athreshe at gmail so we don't messy up the thread.

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 2, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I might be interested in your CIB Famicom Disk System titles, PM me with details. EDIT I might also go for the GBA SP.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

MediumWellDone posted:

To be fair, that's before I cleaned up today.

I wasn't trying to make fun of you or anything (I'm comfortable with a level of clutter personally), just the thing i was talking about was "barely see floor, mounds of cigarette butts on cartridge ashtrays" gross.

EDIT: [url= http://thatdamnpixel.wordpress.com/2013/02/04/the-yoshida-ryo-dormitory-and-its-retro/] found it [/url]

Fooley fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 2, 2013

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
[q[/b]uote="Fooley" post="415047595"]
I wasn't trying to make fun of you or anything (I'm comfortable with a level of clutter personally), just the thing i was talking about was "barely see floor, mounds of cigarette butts on cartridge ashtrays" gross.

EDIT: [url= http://thatdamnpixel.wordpress.com/2013/02/04/the-yoshida-ryo-dormitory-and-its-retro/] found it [/url]
[/quote]

Kyoto might not have the famous retro shop. But it's still a cool place for retro fun.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
I'm mighty tempted by the Twin Famicom, if you want, e-mail me at nothing to see here

Tonde Mo Nai fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 3, 2013

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

I finally got a proper shelf for my 50kg TV and all the poo poo I have! Had to paint it white myself but it was worth it. I'm going to Tokyo in two weeks so there will be a lot of new consoles and games on this soon; I'll have to get another shelf just for games so I can free some room on this for a Famicom, Super Famicom and other stuff!

This is exactly the kind of setup I want. Simple, clean and gorgeous. I always love when people decorate their battlestations with little game goodies. Psyduck and a plush alpaca from Harvest Moon watch over my stuff. I used to have two of the Sonic Colors preorder hats, but I sold them for way too much money right before they were being sold in Hot Topics and FYEs. Are those Ragnarok plushies on top of the TV? Where did they come from?

iastudent posted:

How much for Legacy of the Wizard, Mario Golf (I presume it's the GBC one?) and FF1&2?

I haven't heard of any of the Super Famicom games, except Bastard! which I assume is based on the anime. Any of 'em good?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Unmature posted:

How much for Legacy of the Wizard, Mario Golf (I presume it's the GBC one?) and FF1&2?

I haven't heard of any of the Super Famicom games, except Bastard! which I assume is based on the anime. Any of 'em good?

FF1&2 I'm waiting to hear from another goon on, but for Legacy of the Wizard and Mario Golf I could do $9 shipped.

As for the SFC stuff, yeah, Bastard! is based on the anime. It's a weird fighting-type game if you can call it that. Imagine Virtual On's projectile style of combat with Fatal Fury's plane system. It isn't my type of thing but I can see it being fun playing in versus mode.

Gdleen is a RPG, not much else I can really say about that. Madara 2 is another RPG with some interesting-looking systems behind it, and Musya is a platformer with a feudal Japan/horror setting to it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

iastudent posted:

FF1&2 I'm waiting to hear from another goon on, but for Legacy of the Wizard and Mario Golf I could do $9 shipped.

:doh: drat, I should've checked before I posted, but it looks like both of these go for dirt cheap CIB. I'll let you know if anything else on your list tickles my fancy. I'm actually interested in the Japanese SFC RPGs for Japanese study.

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD

univbee posted:

If you run your ROMs through GoodSNES I can send you a ZIP of empty saves with the right names. I had this problem too and while I could semi-automate it, it was a colossal pain in the rear end.

YES! THANK YOU! You can reach me at tslout@gmail.com.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

flyboi posted:

Pier Solar too, I doubt anyone here wants to :retrogames: for it but let me know if you do, it's mint w/ all the extras it came with.

I probably shouldn't even be thinking about it, but do you have an idea what you're looking to get for Pier Solar?

I know I can be a dirty bastard and go the emulation route thanks to recent advances but... original hardware.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

shymog posted:

I probably shouldn't even be thinking about it, but do you have an idea what you're looking to get for Pier Solar?

I know I can be a dirty bastard and go the emulation route thanks to recent advances but... original hardware.

$80?

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I could probably swing $80 for pier solar if you want to sell it to me... just saying...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

shymog posted:

Wait, someone was a big enough "jerk" to successfully emulate Pier Solar?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
So there's been a fair amount of GB Player talk the last few pages but I'm confused about the disc. Is it required to use the thing our is this just about having one that is "complete?"

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Timett posted:

So there's been a fair amount of GB Player talk the last few pages but I'm confused about the disc. Is it required to use the thing our is this just about having one that is "complete?"

Required. The GB Player will not be recognized by the GCN without it.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

^^^
Someone else buy Pier Solar so I won't.

So Kris "Mac Daddy" Kelly died from an apparent OD yesterday. Why am I posting this in the retro thread? First, watch the video for Warm It Up and gaze ye on the terrible beauty of early 90s Coney Island. Note that you can spray paint your rap group's name on a wall and nobody will notice let alone care.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAhp17Mp7Xs
But I've got this album hardwired into my brain. Another kid in my neighborhood had a Genesis and we would play Sonic The Hedgehog on it. However he'd turn down the TV and listen to Totally Krossed Out on loop instead. This means that Kris Kross is retro game music.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Antillese posted:

Another kid in my neighborhood had a Genesis and we would play Sonic The Hedgehog on it. However he'd turn down the TV and listen to Totally Krossed Out on loop instead. This means that Kris Kross is retro game music.

Let's talk about music that is tied to games in our strange primitive brains.

For me, it's this game:

And this album:

I would play them over and over for hours. Why? :iiam:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Not super retro but...

This game:

And this album:

I was like 14, leave me alone.

Also I haven't played Warrior Within since I finished it when it came out, but I always thought it was underrated. It always seemed like the issues people had with it were its actual soundtrack (Godsmack. What?) and super grim n' gritty atmosphere.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Antillese posted:

This means that Kris Kross is retro game music.

Of course Kris Kross is retro game music.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

^^^
To say nothing about Marky Mark.

Everyone also has a CD that happened to be in the drive the first time they played Quake [1]. Mine was Mechwarrior 2 which had redbook audio. So I've got that mixed up a bit too. Mech 2 was a strong enough holistic experience that I don't think of Quake all that much when I hear the soundtrack (which is really pretty good). Especially since I would end up typing "~cd stop" whenever I would join a Quake World server.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

This album + this game + 3 liters of Orange soda pretty much made up 94-95 for me.

Seeing this makes me want to play it again.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
This album [best album, ever, I'll fight anyone over this]

Also this:

And this game:

I can't listen to either without thinking of playing Quake 2.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

+

Metroid 2's music got a little repetitive after a while, so this ended up being my unofficial soundtrack. I think they mesh pretty well, all things considered. It was strange playing it on the 3DS VC and hearing the game's actual soundtrack all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

It's drat tempting but I think I probably shouldn't exacerbate my old man health conditions by putting myself on a ramen diet for a video game.

Let one of these other fine gentlemen sling some cash at you.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Wait, someone was a big enough "jerk" to successfully emulate Pier Solar?

Yes, there are good dumps floating around and I believe MESS now supports it (no CD audio though AFAIK).

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 2, 2013

• Locked thread