Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Make sure you go with FMA: Brotherhood if you don't want another case of "what is this bullshit" at the end.

Personally, I think the first anime's ending is decent in its own right. It doesn't just abruptly stop; it ties everything together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

Yea, that would be nice to know. How much of FMA does the intro episodes of FMA:B cover?
The two start to diverge during the Fifth Labatory story, which is episode 19 of the original and episode 7 (!) in Brotherhood.

TBQH I think people should just read the manga and avoid this hassle.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Silver2195 posted:

Personally, I think the first anime's ending is decent in its own right. It doesn't just abruptly stop; it ties everything together.

Nah it's pretty much the epitome of a Bones Ending, "narrative logic breaks down in favor of abstract dream scenes regardless of whether they're appropriate, the characters pass over to some kind of alternate world and leave everything behind, we really want to be Gainax but are terrible at it."

And that's being charitable and pretending Conqueror of Shambala doesn't exist.

Nate RFB posted:

TBQH I think people should just read the manga and avoid this hassle.

This works too.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Especially if you watch the movie! :v:

I seriously really enjoy FMA:B though. Pretty much most of the episodes left a good enough hook to keep me watching. I think things in the show really ramped up and started getting awesome as soon as the new content started happening.

I don't think I'd ever watch the original again after Brotherhood but I enjoyed it at the time before I knew there was something that was a whole lot better.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Emperor posted:

Especially if you watch the movie! :v:

I seriously really enjoy FMA:B though. Pretty much most of the episodes left a good enough hook to keep me watching. I think things in the show really ramped up and started getting awesome as soon as the new content started happening.

I don't think I'd ever watch the original again after Brotherhood but I enjoyed it at the time before I knew there was something that was a whole lot better.

I'm reluctant to call the manga "a whole lot better" because the first anime avoids some of the things that annoyed me in the manga. The homunculi have an actual thematic connection to everything else, instead of being generic shonen manga villains. The main characters' flaws are explored more. They essentially admit "yeah, this is magic" instead of resorting to "science-y" buzzwords that don't actually explain anything ("Geothermal energy! Traditional Chinese medicine! Gaia theory! Nuclear fusion!").

The manga also does some things better, though. It has better fight scenes and explores the setting more.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I'm reluctant to call the manga "a whole lot better" because the first anime avoids some of the things that annoyed me in the manga. The homunculi have an actual thematic connection to everything else, instead of being generic shonen manga villains. The main characters' flaws are explored more. They essentially admit "yeah, this is magic" instead of resorting to "science-y" buzzwords that don't actually explain anything ("Geothermal energy! Traditional Chinese medicine! Gaia theory! Nuclear fusion!").

The manga also does some things better, though. It has better fight scenes and explores the setting more.

Is it worth reading the manga if you've seen Brotherhood however? I must admit I'm not the biggest manga reader though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Emperor posted:

Is it worth reading the manga if you've seen Brotherhood however? I must admit I'm not the biggest manga reader though.

Even though I'm reluctant to call the first anime better than the manga or vice versa, I have no problem calling the manga better than Brotherhood. Especially early on, Brotherhood has pacing problems and bad comedic timing, and it cuts out some good scenes from the manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the manga actually does a few things better than Brotherhood; off the top of my head the ending episodes were a little better paced in the manga, which is because the two of them actually ended at almost the same time. So Arakawa got to pace her ending just the way she liked it, while BONES had to make the closest approximation based upon whatever Arakawa gave them for info ahead of time. There are also a few stories that are skipped or dramatically shortened here and there, which perhaps while not necessary in the grand scheme of things were still enjoyable and should have been cut. And of course, if you completely ignore the existence of the first anime, the manga's introduction to the story is leagues better. I actually really hate the first ~20 or so episodes of Brotherhood because they completely half-assed them assuming people would have already watched the first series.

But for you at least the genie is already out of the bottle, so I really couldn't say. The two are still essentially the same story.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 2, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Even though I'm reluctant to call the first anime better than the manga or vice versa, I have no problem calling the manga better than Brotherhood. Especially early on, Brotherhood has pacing problems and bad comedic timing, and it cuts out some good scenes from the manga.

Yeah they were so intent on getting to new content as fast as possible that they skipped stories that were in the manga just because they were in the original anime as well. And the speed at which they did things meant that some emotional moments early on in Brotherhood weren't nearly as effective as in the original anime or the manga.

It really came across as them being unable to decide if Brotherhood was supposed to be for fans of the original series or a new audience, and those initial episodes had some trouble when it came to trying to figure it out.

e: VVVVV yeah, that too. If it's the guy I'm thinking of, it was a single episode in the original FMA! They could have easily gotten the important bits done in Brotherhood in like half an episode if they wanted to.

Srice fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 2, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

I actually really hate the first ~20 or so episodes of Brotherhood because they completely half-assed them assuming people would have already watched the first series.
There's a character who pops up a bunch towards the end whose entire introduction got cut from Brotherhood. It's not a huge thing, it's just really blatant that they expected people to have seen the first series or read the manga.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ViggyNash posted:

Yea, that would be nice to know. How much of FMA does the intro episodes of FMA:B cover?

Even though there's a clear cut-off point between FMA and FMA:B, FMA technically diverges much earlier when it starts killing off seemingly inconsequential characters who end up having much bigger roles in the manga and Brotherhood.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
With that in mind, would you guys suggest watching all of FMA, or would it be better to jump to Brotherhood at the divergence point?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

With that in mind, would you guys suggest watching all of FMA, or would it be better to jump to Brotherhood at the divergence point?

Watch all of it. It's different enough that its not like you'll be retreading old ground.

I prefer the original honestly. Which isn't to say I dislike fma:b but I really like where the original went.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

In my experience I find it best to watch up to about episode 25 or 26 of the 2003 series, then switch to Brotherhood episode 11. They cover roughly the same amount of time in the storyline, there's just a few 2003 anime exclusive characters that won't show up again.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I'd still say it's worth watching the original. It's not that long really and I think it's still a fun show.

Certain characters are completely different in Brotherhood as well.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

TARDISman posted:

In my experience I find it best to watch up to about episode 25 or 26 of the 2003 series, then switch to Brotherhood episode 11. They cover roughly the same amount of time in the storyline, there's just a few 2003 anime exclusive characters that won't show up again.

I don't remember who said it, but someone else recommended something similar. I took a note of it for when I watch it myself.

quote:

When I recommended FMA/Brotherhood to a friend when Brotherhood ended, I told them to watch 1-27 of the original and then continue with episode 12 of Brotherhood. This apparently worked out pretty well.

I personally thought Brotherhood's pacing of those first ~26 episodes [first 12 of Brotherhood] was very poor, removing some essential time for character development and ruining some important, dramatic scenes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silver2195 posted:

Brotherhood glosses over the (minor spoiler)flashback to when Ed and Al were first training, which in my opinion is one of the best parts of the entire series and downright criminal they removed it whole cloth. I don't even think the dude who showed up during that part is even in Brotherhood. I don't remember if it was in the original series either, I think he was.

Regardless, Brotherhood, despite roadrunnering through the first 10 episodes or so, is exceptionally strong. The original had some fantastic fight scenes though, but honestly the ending was so monumentally stupid(as well as the movie) that I'd advise skipping it. Maybe watch some of the fight scenes after watching all of Brotherhood.

I would say watch the rest of the original anime AFTER switching to Brotherhood and watching all of that, if you go back to the original at all.

Or, like was said, read the manga first, then watch the animes.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I'm of the same boat to ignore the second half of the first FMA, but because even when it was the only FMA anime around I hated the second half. It just seemed to gigantically contradict the first half and characters acted in ways I thought they never would have, finding out that they started to stray from the source material made it all make sense. I hated the ending, and appreciate Brotherhood because even though the first half is weak, it's way better on the whole.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

berenzen posted:

I'll check them out, thanks guys.

D. Coil get's kinda depressing at a lot of points...

ViggyNash posted:

They have called me out on torrenting before and I haven't done anything since then. However, my roommate torrents GameCenter CX (which is unlicensed) without repercussion. From the message I received last time, it seems that the it department is notified by an outside group of activity that matches torrents. But even if they do call me out on torrenting again, I can at least show them that it isn't copyright infringement since the product is unlicensed.

This is starting to derail a bit, so lets get back to recommending.

Get a VPN and then your uni won't have any idea your using torrents. Universities tend to just shout at you once they see torrent traffic of any kind.

Also don't bother with peerblock. The only thing it actually does is slow your download speeds.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kingnothing posted:

Get a VPN and then your uni won't have any idea your using torrents. Universities tend to just shout at you once they see torrent traffic of any kind.

Also don't bother with peerblock. The only thing it actually does is slow your download speeds.

Don't start the derail again...

Regardless of whether whatever group is watching my universities internet notifies the university of the activity, LoGH is unlicensed and therefore fully legal to download. It would be easier to simply explain that than to sign up and go through a vpn.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Don't start the derail again...

Regardless of whether whatever group is watching my universities internet notifies the university of the activity, LoGH is unlicensed and therefore fully legal to download. It would be easier to simply explain that than to sign up and go through a vpn.

It's not actually legal to download unlicensed anime. People don't tend to care, but it wouldn't be a defence if you actually did end up having to explain to your university (which would only happen if they were monitoring torrents for whatever reason).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'd go with just jumping into Brotherhood, but I'm of the same camp that really did not care for the original anime, especially because of its 2nd half. I'm a bit of nit-picky person though, so minute details and divergences tend to nag at me. I will admit though, it did manage to pull off stronger emotional beats for certain characters' deaths in the first half compared to both the manga and Brotherhood, but the first anime is just gloomier in general and it never really breaks out of it in a satisfying manner.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Watch both and make your own decisions holy crap. Even if you don't like it it's still better than 99.9% of televised entertainment, anime or otherwise

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think I'll just finish FMA before Brohood. I tried to watch ep 12 of Brohood, but there were lots of little discrepancies in both the plot and backstory that I don't want to have to go backwards to understand.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DamnGlitch posted:

Watch both and make your own decisions holy crap. Even if you don't like it it's still better than 99.9% of televised entertainment, anime or otherwise

He asked for opinions and that's what he got, don't get bent out of shape because the majority of replies don't agree with your opinion that the first FMA went in a good direction, thanks.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

He asked for opinions and that's what he got, don't get bent out of shape because the majority of replies don't agree with your opinion that the first FMA went in a good direction, thanks.

Don't get bent out of shape that I'm bent out of shape, thanks~

ViggyNash posted:

I think I'll just finish FMA before Brohood. I tried to watch ep 12 of Brohood, but there were lots of little discrepancies in both the plot and backstory that I don't want to have to go backwards to understand.

Yeah. Just watch all of em both. You may end up not liking parts of it(like many people who are not me!) but watching some perfected combination is perhaps better on a second watch through after you've decided what's is and isn't for you / for someone who maybe doesn't like anime and you are trying to make things as uncomplicated as possible but stills hare a cool series.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm in DamnGlitch's camp for what it's worth. I definitely recall liking parts of both better than the other but can't rightly say what they are since it's been so long. It may be that people are right about their combination of FMA and FMA:B but it's worth finding out for yourself I feel. I guess if there are time constraints and you can't be bothered then the amalgamation is your best bet though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Corte posted:

I'm in DamnGlitch's camp for what it's worth. I definitely recall liking parts of both better than the other but can't rightly say what they are since it's been so long. It may be that people are right about their combination of FMA and FMA:B but it's worth finding out for yourself I feel. I guess if there are time constraints and you can't be bothered then the amalgamation is your best bet though.

All other things aside, brotherhood definitely shits the bed on the early 'oh gently caress' moments. Some of the most affecting stuff it tries to jam into the first couple episodes and it just doesn't work.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

I don't remember who said it, but someone else recommended something similar. I took a note of it for when I watch it myself.

Yeah I remember reading that in the first recommendation thread and it stuck with me.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Is it necessary/recomended to watch A Certain Magical Index before A Certain Scientific Railgun, and why would I want to watch either of them? (Honestly the main reason this even interests me is because A Certain Scientific Railgun is a really good name for a show :v:).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

ShardPhoenix posted:

Is it necessary/recomended to watch A Certain Magical Index before A Certain Scientific Railgun, and why would I want to watch either of them? (Honestly the main reason this even interests me is because A Certain Scientific Railgun is a really good name for a show :v:).
It is not necessary. Railgun pretty much stands alone, and has a pretty different style. With more trickery in the fights and more focus on comedy in between.

You should watch Railgun because it is good. At least if you prefer it if the main character wins her fights by planing ahead instead of just powering up by getting super emotional.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

tonberrytoby posted:

You should watch Railgun because it is good. At least if you prefer it if the main character wins her fights by planing ahead instead of just powering up by getting super emotional.
Sounds good to me.

edit: Although I also hope they complete the quadfecta with A Certain Religious Icon and A Certain Biological Organ.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 4, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I could not watch Index. I've tried twice and even when I skipped ahead to the "good stuff" in the Sisters arc I still found it tedious and boring. I've gotten by just fine just reading the Railgun manga and watching the anime and haven't really felt lost at all.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ShardPhoenix posted:

General familiarity with Index's existence may help, but I honestly don't think it's worth bothering with.

Aside from the protagonist being magnitudes more interesting, I like that Railgun plays out more like a detective novel or a Batman comic than a run-of-the-mill shounen brawlfest. Misaka stumbles upon some weird poo poo going on in the city and goes to actually investigate it by using her powers in an intelligent way, while still retaining her brash shounen-hero(ine) personality.

Railgun also has way better cinematography. Maybe because it was adapted from a manga, so it's already set up to make use of visual cues.

Granted I only got through the first season of Index, but boy was it a slog. Railgun is just a much more competent series, overall.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

ShardPhoenix posted:

edit: Although I also hope they complete the quadfecta with A Certain Religious Icon and A Certain Biological Organ.
Those are used as bossfights in Index and Railgun respectively.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I see why you guys wouldn't like the ending of FMA. It's was quite a silly, sensationalistic manner of tying off ends. I felt sort of the same with E7, although that ending was somewhat more well done. The silliest part was how Ed and Al kept going back and forth, sacrificing themselves to save the other only so the other could sacrifice their self. It seems to be a bit of a Bones thing where instead of a solid, defined final act, they just try to send the climax as far through the roof as they can.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Index is fundamentally a very silly series. It's built on a mix of shonen/LN cliches and misremembered "facts" about physics, religion, etc. Touma is a fundamentally very bland character; his amnesia is mostly used as an excuse to avoid giving him motivations deeper than "defeat the current villain and save the damsel in distress." Index is even worse; she's a moeblob so infuriating that even people who like moeblobs don't like her. Despite all this, it's strangely enjoyable sometimes.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Index is fundamentally a very silly series. It's built on a mix of shonen/LN cliches and misremembered "facts" about physics, religion, etc. Touma is a fundamentally very bland character; his amnesia is mostly used as an excuse to avoid giving him motivations deeper than "defeat the current villain and save the damsel in distress." Index is even worse; she's a moeblob so infuriating that even people who like moeblobs don't like her. Despite all this, it's strangely enjoyable sometimes.

I mostly enjoy Index because she's voiced by Monica Rial in the dub and she's one of my favorite VA's because I freakin' love Kyoko in Full Metal Panic and her and Cherami Leigh made Shuffle's dub watchable.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Recommend me a show with the anime equivalent of Mulder and Scully -- an adult man and woman whose relationship is professional rather than romantic/family/etc, who work as equals to solve problems. If you know of something similar that only follows most of those guidelines, that's fine too; I'm willing to budge on anything except "they're both teenagers."

The near-perfect example would be Roger and Dorothy's interactions in The Big O, except that he's her boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Psycho-Pass.

• Locked thread