Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The only thing I know about UX is that, in the grand tradition of Banpresto B-team Nintendo portable games, it doesn't have a Getter Robo representative, a UC Gundam representative (opting for SEED Destiny yet again), and fir the first time in non-OG SRW history, it is missing both Mazinger Z AND Kouji Kabuto (opting for Mazinkaiser SKL :geno: ). And like others have said, the animation looks pretty bland, in some cases worse than the previous games on the DS. On the plus side, there is voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

The plot and crossover stuff is fun but the animations are really poorly done. The actual gameplay is fairly traditional overly-easy K/L Partner-system stuff. The biggest selling point it has is a metric shitload of secrets and recruitables.

I also heard that in a series' first you don't need to hit the flags a second time in order to get a secret you unlocked previously during New Game+ but I haven't actually played New Game+ yet so I don't know that for sure.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

So I've got Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem the other day, which means I only need one more game for a free copy of Animal Crossing when it comes out. I am trying to decide between Donkey Kong and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and just found out the reviewers absolutely slammed the latter one. I only played the demo so far but I guess I'd have to agree (plus Mystery Dungeon games tend to show up in bargain bins quickly), but at the same time I skipped DKCR on the Wii. I'm waiting for reviews obviously but to the people who played it, can I assume I'll like it based on liking the 3 SNES games?

The other option would be to eBay the two codes I got with my games for 10-15€ each (and the one for AC when I buy it, although I think I'd rather have it digitally) and buy Animal Crossing regularly but I don't think that would be a better deal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

So I've got Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem the other day, which means I only need one more game for a free copy of Animal Crossing when it comes out. I am trying to decide between Donkey Kong and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and just found out the reviewers absolutely slammed the latter one. I only played the demo so far but I guess I'd have to agree (plus Mystery Dungeon games tend to show up in bargain bins quickly), but at the same time I skipped DKCR on the Wii. I'm waiting for reviews obviously but to the people who played it, can I assume I'll like it based on liking the 3 SNES games?

The other option wuld be to eBay the two codes I got with my games for 10-15€ each and buy Animal Crossing regularly but I don't think that would be a better deal.

DKCR is very similar to the SNES games except on the Wii it is saddled with the worst control scheme choice imaginable. On the 3DS this has been rectified and you are highly recommend to purchase it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mercury Crusader posted:

it is missing both Mazinger Z AND Kouji Kabuto (opting for Mazinkaiser SKL :geno: ).

It is weird, but so is the entirety of UX's lineup. I mean, between SKL, Demonbane and Fei-Yan HD.. poo poo is strange. I liked SKL, though.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Katana Gomai posted:

DKCR is awesome. Get it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Barudak posted:

DKCR is very similar to the SNES games except on the Wii it is saddled with the worst control scheme choice imaginable. On the 3DS this has been rectified and you are highly recommend to purchase it.

Yea I've heard about the nefarious waggle issue. I got Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion for a combined ~40€ so I'd rather get a third game than pawn off the codes, thanks for clarifying!

vvv I'm fine with the graphics, I watched video reviews and such. I'm talking about mechanics, length and gameplay. vvv

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 4, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm waiting for reviews obviously but to the people who played it, can I assume I'll like it based on liking the 3 SNES games?

Not if a big reason you liked them was the aesthetics, such as the surrealistic atmosphere or haunting music. Tonally it's completely different, more like a generic goofy cartoon.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

DKCR is awesome. Get it.

Many previews have mentioned that it has framerate issues, I'd wait and see how the final version turns out.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Katana Gomai posted:

So I've got Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem the other day, which means I only need one more game for a free copy of Animal Crossing when it comes out.
hold up, what's this about? Is it some kind of regional promotion through Club Nintendo?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

It's the EU Club Nintendo promotion found here.

*edit: Something else entirely, I got New Art Academy a while back for free (digitally) but never played it. I have blue SpotPass notification on the game icon but I can't seem to get rid of it or find out what it is; I tried everything ingame including downloading custom lessons (it didn't find any). It's driving me mad, what is it? I've turned off SpotPass notifications now but the blue dot doesn't go away.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 4, 2013

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

For what it's worth I never looked up reviews of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and absolutely love it. It's flawed, sure, but mostly fun. I love roguelikes and Pokemon so you couldn't pry me away from something with that concept!

My only major criticism is they should have thrown in the DLC dungeons on the request board; it has a similar problem to the one Theatrhythm has where it encourages you to grind one thing a lot and doesn't put your DLC in the mix. Ultimate Wilds is really fun though if you want straight up nails hard constantly-dying-to-bullshit roguelike action, though!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Everything I've seen or heard about the new PMD makes it seem much worse than PMD Sky for the DS. You should probably just pick up that instead.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Yea as I said I'd only get it for the promotion and PMD Sky has been available for 10€ for a while. I'll get Donkey Kong.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

For what it's worth I never looked up reviews of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and absolutely love it. It's flawed, sure, but mostly fun. I love roguelikes and Pokemon so you couldn't pry me away from something with that concept!

My only major criticism is they should have thrown in the DLC dungeons on the request board; it has a similar problem to the one Theatrhythm has where it encourages you to grind one thing a lot and doesn't put your DLC in the mix. Ultimate Wilds is really fun though if you want straight up nails hard constantly-dying-to-bullshit roguelike action, though!

The PMD games are in a gray area where they're too hard (especially compared to the main Pokémon games) to appeal to your average critic but too easy for someone who cut his or her teeth on "actual" roguelikes (NetHack, Crawl, etc.). I could split hairs over what Gates to Infinity did right and wrong vs. the past two games in the series, but in the end, I still loved it as well.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

It's the EU Club Nintendo promotion found here.

*edit: Something else entirely, I got New Art Academy a while back for free (digitally) but never played it. I have blue SpotPass notification on the game icon but I can't seem to get rid of it or find out what it is; I tried everything ingame including downloading custom lessons (it didn't find any). It's driving me mad, what is it? I've turned off SpotPass notifications now but the blue dot doesn't go away.

So what games can you get with this offer? The same as the games you can register?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

FWIW as someone who casually enjoys roguelikes and thinks Pokemon are cute so far PMD has been fun and heartwarming. :3: It's not something I personally think I'm going to spend a ton of time playing, though, more good for quick sessions.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

EGSunBro posted:

I'm still buying the NA release because I want to support more bizarre stuff like this coming over, this is so out of the blue and weird, I'd hate for it to sell poorly and be used as evidence against the genres.

Maaan, please don't support licensed products because they are licensed. I mean, do what you want, but I can't fathom sending a worse message than "I don't mind this game being a bit poo poo because you included a bunch of sprites I recognize."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

kater posted:

Maaan, please don't support licensed products because they are licensed. I mean, do what you want, but I can't fathom sending a worse message than "I don't mind this game being a bit poo poo because you included a bunch of sprites I recognize."

It's going to sell like poo poo either way, so don't stress over it.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I just started Sticker Star and I mostly like it but I'm really confused with how I'm supposed to handle Thing Stickers.

Based on what I've heard about future bosses, they're almost impossible to beat without the right Thing Sticker. But how do you know which Thing Sticker to bring before you see what the boss is? They take up too much space in the album to keep every one on you at all times. For the first boss, I tried bringing every Thing Sticker I hadn't used yet, and that still wasn't enough since the right one to use was the Fan, which I had used in the windmill level. I've heard there are clues throughout the world, but I didn't see any hinting at the fan or I would have gone back to try and get another.

Besides that one gripe I really like the game and don't understand all the gripe. It's a huge improvement over Super Paper Mario, that's for sure.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

mancalamania posted:

Besides that one gripe I really like the game and don't understand all the gripe. It's a huge improvement over Super Paper Mario, that's for sure.

Does "Damning with faint praise" mean anything to you?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

mancalamania posted:

I just started Sticker Star and I mostly like it but I'm really confused with how I'm supposed to handle Thing Stickers.

Based on what I've heard about future bosses, they're almost impossible to beat without the right Thing Sticker. But how do you know which Thing Sticker to bring before you see what the boss is? They take up too much space in the album to keep every one on you at all times. For the first boss, I tried bringing every Thing Sticker I hadn't used yet, and that still wasn't enough since the right one to use was the Fan, which I had used in the windmill level. I've heard there are clues throughout the world, but I didn't see any hinting at the fan or I would have gone back to try and get another.

Short answer, you don't. Long answer: Sometimes you can guess which one(s) to use based on what you've seen in the world and what the boss is. This is more obvious with some bosses than others, but in general it's pretty vague. Kersti will also give hints about which sticker to use, but only after you've died to the boss at least once.

Things are reusable after you've used them as stickers. You just have to go back to whatever level they were in and pick them up again.

fount of knowledge posted:

Does "Damning with faint praise" mean anything to you?

Hey, I liked Super Paper Mario. Its story was a million times better than Sticker Star's near-absence of one.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

mancalamania posted:

You can flee the boss battles, so what I did was fight the boss for a little while and flee once I had an idea of what the weakness might be. But honestly your best bet might be to just look it up before hand to save yourself the trouble.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mancalamania posted:

Each important sticker has a clue somewhere in the area. Once you find that clue it's really easy to figure out what you need.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Does anyone know wether the EU virtual console NES games are 50hz or 60hz? I'd like to pick up Zelda 1+2 but not if they're the slower PAL versions.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Eggn0g posted:

Does anyone know wether the EU virtual console NES games are 50hz or 60hz? I'd like to pick up Zelda 1+2 but not if they're the slower PAL versions.

Is there a way I can check that for you? Are there any differences besides the speed?

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Eruonen posted:

Is there a way I can check that for you? Are there any differences besides the speed?

Speeds the only difference I'm aware of, badly converted PAL games ran around 17% slower than other versions. I know there was controversy about the WiiU's VC concerning this, but I can't find anything about the 3DS.

Yes, I am aware how :spergin: this sounds.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

mancalamania posted:

The first boss does have a clue on which Thing Sticker you need. It's just placed at the beginning of the battle. And so do the other bosses do have clues on which stickers you'll need. Some really obvious, some really subtle. You CAN run away from boss battles. Most of them anyway. So keep that in mind.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 5, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So how does Spotpass work, exactly? Is it just a Thing that happens at random when your 3DS is in Sleep mode? How does the console know what to give you Spotpass goodies for?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No-frills answers:

- By letting the wi-fi/wireless ON when you go places with Wi-fi available.
- It affects pretty much every game that you've been playing recently (1 or 2 months, from what I've heard) that includes some Spotpass features.
- It depends on the game, honestly.

With Luigi's Mansion, we got both a Swapnote and a Mii from Miyamoto. :3:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Eggn0g posted:

Speeds the only difference I'm aware of, badly converted PAL games ran around 17% slower than other versions. I know there was controversy about the WiiU's VC concerning this, but I can't find anything about the 3DS.

Yes, I am aware how :spergin: this sounds.

The menu demonstration thing in SMB is the same buggy, mistimed thing it is on my PAL NES, so I'm gonna guess it's 50Hz.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

mancalamania posted:

Hey, look at this username!! It's me!!!!

Anyway, I know you're on world 2--I can tell you that's probably the clearest of any of them I've seen so far. Take a look at the stadium where that battle takes place. In world 3 one Thing in particular seems like it'll be pretty relevant based on the theme of the havoc Bowser's wrought. The next boss is even more obvious. I haven't seen any beyond that yet, but I think once you get into the game's mindset (?) it clicks a little better.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So I'm gonna get a new much bigger SD card for my 3DS, and then later get an XL. I was wondering if the speed of the SD card made much difference. Is it worth shelling out the extra money for a top speed 32GB card or would a low speed one work the same? Also what's the easiest way to transfer saves and games from a basic 3DS with a 2 GB card to a XL with a 32GB?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

A Sometimes Food posted:

So I'm gonna get a new much bigger SD card for my 3DS, and then later get an XL. I was wondering if the speed of the SD card made much difference. Is it worth shelling out the extra money for a top speed 32GB card or would a low speed one work the same? Also what's the easiest way to transfer saves and games from a basic 3DS with a 2 GB card to a XL with a 32GB?

The listed speed class on an SD card doesn't actually mean much for a 3DS: speed class mostly reflects the performance you'll get when writing or copying a single large file, but for the kind of random-access use that the 3DS requires, cards with lower speed classes can be as good or better than higher ones.

To migrate from your 3DS to your XL, first do a system transfer to copy over all the system settings and data stored in internal memory, then connect an SD card reader to your PC (you can get them for cheap at electronics stores) and use it to copy the entire contents of the 2GB SD card to the 32GB one.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Thanks for the quick reply mate. Gonna get me some Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem and Mystery Dungeon all without swapping carts.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Alright, I know it's about 10 pages back at this point, but I didn't see anybody else say it and it's been driving me crazy.

All of the people who were in favor of 3DS images/decals being right-side up when closed instead of opened: When it is closed you can just rotate it 180 degrees, so the hinge-side is facing you. It is a rectangle, it will look basically the same. :ssh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But when it's open it's upside-down. Bugs the poo poo out of me.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Do note that really slow SD cards can't use the video feature.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

What am I supposed to be doing in etrian odyssey 4 after the lush woodlands? It seems like I'm maybe supposed to go through this windy ravine in the north but I don't know what fits in the hole in the monument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Any ideas on this?

• Locked thread