Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
New livestream is up on YouTube and demos a lot of the planet tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Baloogan posted:

If you want to fellate the devs go post on their forums.

If I knew they were the people behind SNMC or whatever its called I wouldn't have pledged anything.

I'm wondering how you didn't know this - one of the questions in the FAQ on PA's Kickstarter page is "Will Uber continue to support Super Monday Night Combat?"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

And the fact that it got mentioned almost everywhere the KS project got mentioned, including here, multiple times. With a lot of "Well, they kind of screwed up SMNC, but..." posts.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm not familiar with SMNC, how exactly did they screw it up?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Breetai posted:

I'm not familiar with SMNC, how exactly did they screw it up?

Released early, the game was basically in beta but they decided to not include a beta tag on the early release, so people were fronted with a 'complete game' that had bugs out the wazoo and missing features. This meant that newer players had a hard time swallowing what the game offered, and the veteran players who had played through the bugs were more than tempered enough to annihilate the new players. This, coupled with the fact that the existing community prior to release were mostly venomous douchelords meant that new players had to accept:

1) The game was buggy
2) The game was difficult to learn
3) The game was inhabited by toxic assholes whose M.O was to ruin your experience

In short? SMNC was a game with tons of potential and had every right to be a successful and amazing. It was just handled badly and essentially killed itself.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

New update today and I'm really starting to like how the games art style is panning out.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The aesthetic on the metal planets is fantastic. I hope the gameplay can stand up to the art direction.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Their Friday livestream this week is going to be the first in-game engine thingy demonstration.

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
I loved the original Total Annihilation. I'm so excited for this. The art style is fantastic! Does anyone know if they've started the alpha/beta yet?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I think we're still quite a ways from alpha.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
Yeah still very much in the prototyping stage right now.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugz7I8Z1bkI

Has some stuff about alpha at the end.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
Anyone else notice how Mavor's face goes from normal at the beginning of the stream to reddish on the side by the middle of the video then to super ultra RED AS HELL by the end of the video? I thought his head was about to explode, nobody in the comments seemed to notice it

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It looks really weird to see a TA like game not be based on a grid at all.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Giggily posted:

It looks really weird to see a TA like game not be based on a grid at all.

I don't know if the grid added anything in TA or SupCom. You can still have buildings snap together even if they are not on a grid.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

PITT posted:

Anyone else notice how Mavor's face goes from normal at the beginning of the stream to reddish on the side by the middle of the video then to super ultra RED AS HELL by the end of the video? I thought his head was about to explode, nobody in the comments seemed to notice it

Probably has something to do with the floodlight aimed at his face for 20 minutes, some heat reaction or something.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Combat Demo (Starts at 7:10)

Looks suitably TA-ish.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
It's really amazing how far they've come in the last couple months, from barely having a terrain system to something that could almost pass for a playable game if you don't look too hard. Looking forward to the beta this summer.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Not a single bit of micro. :colbert:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I liked the music they had in the background, I hope that that was from the game's soundtrack. It sounded nice and TA like, so it should be pretty snazzy when it's orchestrated.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

Yeah, I noticed that. I like lining up my units and having essentially line infantry.

It looked very 'blizzard' or star craft 2 with the way the units all bunched up. That isn't what I want :(

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, I noticed that. I like lining up my units and having essentially line infantry.

It looked very 'blizzard' or star craft 2 with the way the units all bunched up. That isn't what I want :(

This is an early Alpha to the point that there aren't even win conditions coded, you know.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Baloogan posted:

Oh, I wasn't saying that as a criticism of the game, just the players. :v:

It seems like it has room for some good micro at least, things were slow but I'm just assuming they were running everything at the lowest possible speed.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Only Kickstarter I ever backed, super glad I did. I'm sure I'll be horrible at the game but it just looks so amazing I just can't wait to screw around with it for a few weeks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So given this is still on a shoe-string budget compared to the big names in the genre, are we expecting there to be quite a few rough edges in the final product? Given they've made the game on only $2.2m and it only cost me $20 I'd be happy with an ambitious but flawed single player experience, but anyone know if there's an outside chance they could still develop a halfway decent and properly balanced multiplayer experience?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Steampunk Gent posted:

So given this is still on a shoe-string budget compared to the big names in the genre, are we expecting there to be quite a few rough edges in the final product? Given they've made the game on only $2.2m and it only cost me $20 I'd be happy with an ambitious but flawed single player experience, but anyone know if there's an outside chance they could still develop a halfway decent and properly balanced multiplayer experience?

There is only one faction specifically to ensure that it is balanced. It is being designed multiplayer first, with single player as a nice bonus for getting way more than they goal.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Taffer posted:

I'm so glad there isn't much of that so far. Nothing turns people off more to RTS games then complicating things.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The single player campaign will basically be a randomly generated set of skirmishes with some kind of meta game, from what I understand, so no need to hire voice actors or anything. There is only one faction, cutting down on artists. Similarly, the game should be more or less procedurally generated, so that should save on cost in the long term. Maybe?

Also they apparently had a lot of the engine done ahead of time.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I'm so glad there isn't much of that so far. Nothing turns people off more to RTS games then complicating things.

Wait... what? How does micro complicate things? Also, the only RTS game that ever got popular was massively centered around micro so that's pretty much objectively false.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Grey Fox V2 posted:

You truly have no clue about RTS games, do you?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope they do have formations and steal conveniences from Supreme Commander like synchronizing attacks, setting patrol routes and adding units to them and all that stuff.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Baloogan posted:

You truly have no clue about RTS games, do you?
He's right, though. Plenty of people don't play multiplayer because needing micro to not lose horribly is a faff- it cuts out casual play and fundamentally /isn't/ why a vast swathe of people play RTSes (the S stands for strategy, after all). Sure, there's large groups who like fiddly micro but just compare the playerbases of say TF2/COD and more intensive FPSes. I think we're due a more accessible multiplayer RTS.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Talkie Toaster posted:

He's right, though. Plenty of people don't play multiplayer because needing micro to not lose horribly is a faff- it cuts out casual play and fundamentally /isn't/ why a vast swathe of people play RTSes (the S stands for strategy, after all). Sure, there's large groups who like fiddly micro but just compare the playerbases of say TF2/COD and more intensive FPSes. I think we're due a more accessible multiplayer RTS.

It'll still be the same. The kind of people who don't like micro are the kind of people who want to build a huge base uninterrupted and build their giant army then a-click the enemy base. People who know how to manage lots of things at the same time will still completely roll over the kind of people who hate micro, even if the game isn't centered around micro.

The solution to the problem is a decent matchmaking system, where people can play against others that are at their level.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
But then it's more understandable, less frustrating and easier to improve on? Consider stealth TML assassinations in Supcom or whatever; as a new player, you can understand the problem easily (not enough air patrolling) and it's a challenge that fits into the game you think you're playing- a strategy game. When they roll over you with an equally-sized army because they were playing an entirely different game to you (ordering individual tank targetting priorites, say) you don't counter by changing strategy- you either go 'well okay I guess I'll play a strategy/fast-paced whackamole game' or 'this is not the game I thought I was playing' and quit.

TA/SC avoid this by having units like commanders and experimentals that're large, distinct, and you're clearly expected to micro to an extent; whilst you're not expected or required to micro Cannon-Fodder Tank #57784.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I do so love the apples and oranges comparisons. Just because people like to lump Starcraft and TA into the same genre doesn't mean they play similarly. Skill ceiling pretty much requires that the required actions per minute increases as you climb the ranks, otherwise it would be a turn based strategy game. Match making is much more important, as long as the game is fun at lower levels and players are matched appropriately at the lower levels, it doesn't matter if micro is required to succeed at the higher levels.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What I really want is a game that plays like Spring; where unit positioning means something but my units will try to position themselves automatically.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This argument is why RUSE is one my favorite RTS games ever. You could play RUSE like a craps table stickman, shoveling masses of units across the play field and making large sweeping tweaks to battle lines, drag selecting entire battalions and moving them around. It was a great feeling, and this is looking like maybe it'll support long fight tactics and strategy rather than intensive micro. Not that micro is a bad thing, mind, but I just want RUSE again.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

It's the same thing with any multiplayer RTS game, from TA/SupCom to Command & Conquer to Starcraft. The "strategy" might be different, but the required skillset is the same: whoever can micro best, wins. Me, I'm the type of player who gets bogged down and distracted watching all the gunfire and pretty explosions while my units do their thing. Consequently, I always lose. I'm not too worried about competitive high level play, but it'd be very good for players like me if at least the skirmish AI in Planetary Annihilation was accessible enough to play against without excessive micromanagement.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's such bullshit. The main skill that separates a regular ladder player from a Masters player in SC2 is their ability to macro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Double post

• Locked thread