Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

It's like mashing the B button while trying to catch a Pokemon. It may not ever have really done anything but drat if every single person ever doesn't do it.

It's holding up and a I think. It's mostly muscle memory if I had a game boy I could be 100% sure and there is also a timing it has to be at a certain time when the pokeball hits. As far as I know it only works in the original red and blue, I've done it on both. Its actually really easy once you figure it out. It's my standard way of playing, I never buy anything except vanilla pokeballs which are functionally master balls. You can also get some big number of any item with a missing no glitch and all kinds of other stuff I on,y read about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

All you need to know about the Red and Blue RNGs is that you can cheese it to catch Mew, who was only available from pokecentres in like Tokyo, Kyoto and NY

I just remembered a part of FF7 that I hsd forgotten existed. We aren't as near the end as I thought. My memory is seriously shuffled regarding this game

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

simplefish posted:

All you need to know about the Red and Blue RNGs is that you can cheese it to catch Mew, who was only available from pokecentres in like Tokyo, Kyoto and NY

I just remembered a part of FF7 that I hsd forgotten existed. We aren't as near the end as I thought. My memory is seriously shuffled regarding this game

You fool, everyone knows that you find Mew by pushing the truck by S.S. Anne with a level 99 Machamp using Strength :v:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

BioEnchanted posted:

You fool, everyone knows that you find Mew by pushing the truck by S.S. Anne with a level 99 Machamp using Strength :v:

:v: :respek: :v:

simplefish posted:

Hell we still have an entire DISC left.

Buuuuut it's a little special concerning content, I think we covered already how the discs don't mean poo poo concerning game data and how easy you can swap them back and forth. Oh god, I still got my story saved up for that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FinalGamer posted:

Hell we still have an entire DISC left.

There wasn't been a single multi-disc FF game for the PSX that didn't have the final disc consist of pretty much only the final dungeon and ending cinematics. FF8 did it, FF9 did it, it's not really surprising that FF7 would do it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

KataraniSword posted:

There wasn't been a single multi-disc FF game for the PSX that didn't have the final disc consist of pretty much only the final dungeon and ending cinematics. FF8 did it, FF9 did it, it's not really surprising that FF7 would do it.

Gotta find space for those ending cinematics somewhere!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Kanfy posted:

Gotta find space for those ending cinematics somewhere!

How much space do the cutscenes take up in this game, for all 3 disks? A very large amount, I would guess?

Also, Arieth's death has never been more funny! :v:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If I remember right, each disc is about 700 MB, about 270 MB of that are the game itself which is completely identical on all three discs. The rest is FMV.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

If I remember right, each disc is about 700 MB, about 270 MB of that are the game itself which is completely identical on all three discs. The rest is FMV.

Huh. That certainly is a lot of space! :stare:

I suppose that later games have the FMVs take up even more space?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, Sony really was saying "gently caress you dad" to Nintendo and their cartridge format.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Compression was pretty terrible back then too. I'm sure everyone remembers the awful BINK video stuff.

Ropnolc
Mar 7, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

Man, Sony really was saying "gently caress you dad" to Nintendo and their cartridge format.

In regards to that, here's some interesting trivia! :banjo:
FFVII was originally meant to be an SNES game at first but other games being developed at the time required more attention (Chrono Trigger) so development was put on hiatus for a bit and later moved to the N64, but the N64's cartridges lacked the storage capabilities to handle a game this large, so the game's development ended up moving to the playstation in favor of those sweet 700 MB CDs.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Ropnolc posted:

In regards to that, here's some interesting trivia! :banjo:
FFVII was originally meant to be an SNES game at first but other games being developed at the time required more attention (Chrono Trigger) so development was put on hiatus for a bit and later moved to the N64, but the N64's cartridges lacked the storage capabilities to handle a game this large, so the game's development ended up moving to the playstation in favor of those sweet 700 MB CDs.

I still remember the tech demo they did for the N64, using characters from FFVI.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

crestfallen posted:

Compression was pretty terrible back then too. I'm sure everyone remembers the awful BINK video stuff.

Lots of modern console games still use Bink! I know, it sounds crazy, but they do, because they're fast to decode (processor-wise) so you can do other stuff in the background while the movie is playing.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah, Bink requires a huge amount of bandwidth to get decent video quality, but it uses so little memory that it can be used to play a cutscene while the game is loading the next stage. Since the PS4 and new Xbox will have dedicated hardware decoders, then we won't have games that either have terrible quality videos, or enormous file sizes.

The compression used in PSOne games like Final Fantasy VII was motion JPEG, which compresses each frame as a separate image. Modern video compression algorithms store the difference between frames, so if there's very little motion, or something like the camera panning, then a ton of space can be saved. The FMV cutscenes in FFVII only ran at 15 fps, which is why it feels so much choppier when you're given control in one.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Lots of modern console games still use Bink! I know, it sounds crazy, but they do, because they're fast to decode (processor-wise) so you can do other stuff in the background while the movie is playing.
Shogun 2, which might be why the loading times were so horrible.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 78 - Revelations

So this is it, the most important update. Be ready for a lot of images.

Last time Cloud had told Tifa he used to have a crush on her.

Tifa seemed confused, but Cloud wanted to show her something...

"Was it?"

That's both so sad and creepy.

These scenes are the first time we get a different, closer angle to the characters in these Nibelheim buildings. They always have this very static, clinical feeling to them.

"That's right. We lived next to each other. But I really didn't know you that well. I've known you since we were children always thought we were close..."

Past the issue of "obvious amnesia", I like how this game deals with partially obscured memories, or things we just forget.

"I used to think... they were all stupid."

I really like this exchange here.

Cloud's line-of-thought as an introvert kid, rationalizing his situation.

"That I was different from those immature kids. That then, maybe..."

This is so depressing.

Cloud's journey throughout the game is curious because, since things get progressively more messed up, so does he. Maybe the EU was right all along!

Cloud's a human landfill.

I think these parts get skipped by a lot.

They're not really very important story-wise (we'll get to it soon), but they're some of the most in-depth characterization you get in the game.

"I wonder if Cloud was able to get into SOLDIER?"

So I recommend giving this update a re-reading when you're done.

This is a long chapter and the things that come after this sequence tend to eclipse their talk about their past and their relationship.

Some disconnection between Cloud's personalities. Cloud states here that she's talking to a part of his subconscious.

"This was the day..."

Oh.

This is also something that would be pretty minor in other RPGs, but that is explored here.

Depending on the kid, this can be a pretty traumatic and life-changing event and it's not downplayed. Tifa is depressed.

"No one crosses that mountain alive..."

"Did mama pass through the mountains?"

Well that IS a most stupid idea.

Go, red cap kid. Show them you have basic survival instinct!

I would say "And thus, kid with the red cap survived, lived his life fully and decades later had children of his own, thus passing on his genetic code" but he probably died when Sephiroth burned Nibelheim, so all we have is a very Futurama-esque note on the meaning of life.

'I'm not paid enough for this poo poo.'

Yea, if memory serves me correctly, this is what happens to every single person who decides to walk through Mt. Nibel.

At some point they should just block the passage altogether and make more helicopters.

Poor Cloud just wanted to help :smith:.

"We all thought she wouldn't make it."

Yea.

And now we get Cloud's motivation for applying to SOLDIER.

That sure will show that mountain who's the boss.

"If I got strong like Sephiroth, then everyone might..."

Well, all these sound like plausible, very human-like reasons and motivations.

The best way they could have helped each other is by going to a goodpsychiatrist.

Of course, there's a point to all of this.

Tifa: "My childhood memories weren't all made up!"

And finally, finally, we're getting back to Nibelheim to figure out what the hell is going on.

This is it. The big loving moment. Oh my God we're gonna go to the reactooor

Cue Lux Aeterna.

The question is -

How did Cloud know about this if he wasn't there?

He was.

Holy poo poo.

This part

is fantastic.

This is the part that was missing.

The reason Tifa hadn't seen him, even though he knew everything. He was too ashamed to reveal himself.

I think this is the real big spoiler-worthy moment from FF7, which thankfully no one mentions because Aeris' death is too famous. This is the place where all the plot converges. This is the resolution of the biggest mystery we've had. It's the culmination of every plot point.

It's what makes a second playthrough so interesting.

Cloud is not the hero we deserve,

Oh crap.

This never ceases being creepy. Need I remind you that guy just got stabbed in the back.

Cloud :smith:

Jesus Christ, Cloud.

For gently caress's sake, Cloud.

And this is how everything happened. After Cloud tossed Sephiroth down to the Lifestream, he effectivelly disappeared and was declared dead. Much like Cloud who moved from the Northern Crater to Mideel, Sephiroth was carried through the lifestream flow to the North.

The multiple aspects of Cloud's personality gather together...

Cmon, give the guy a break.

Yea guys, I don't mean to interrupt you two, but...

You guys are drowning in spirit juice, which by now must be Cloud's new hobby.

And with this, I conclude this update.

NEXT TIME:

Stop worrying about next time and go back read this chapter again to make sure you didn't miss anything!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kind of interesting how this throws their relationship into a different light.

Cloud and Tifa weren't really childhood friends like the game implied earlier. They knew each other, sure, but it was always a distant interaction. Cloud had a crush on her and Tifa seemed to get some kind of weird complex about it.

And Cloud wasn't anything special in the end, just another grunt.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
The first time I played FF7 back when I was 13, this part was confusing as poo poo. I never named protagonists in games 'Zack' after myself again.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Just to explain some of the "action" for anyone who might be confused by the screenshots:
- Zack runs in the door, gets thrown out.
- Grunt-Cloud comes in, grabs the Buster Sword off Zack, runs through the door and stabs Sephiroth through the back.
- Sephiroth limps out with his sword in one hand and Jenova's head in the other. (Remember it was Jenova's headless body we found at the ShinRa building and chased through disc 1)
- On the bridge(?) he stabs Cloud, who grabs the blade jutting through his torso and uses it to swing Sephiroth off the bridge and into the Lifestream below.

Also, when Cloud takes off his helmet for the reveal there, this part of the main theme plays. And it's great! (The leadup to the reveal uses static and heartbeat sounds to ramp up the tension too.)

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 14, 2013

PoliteMachineGun
Oct 5, 2011

They noticed me!
Covet this, fools!
:sbahj:

I finished Crisis Core long before I started reading this lp, so I was spoiled for the Zack reveal quite a while ago. But I didn't expect the game to subvert the childhood friend trope like that. That would explain all the problems the party's been having though; Cloud's basically an ascended grunt. In any other game he'd be an NPC and you'd help him woo Tifa for a sidequest.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Couple of things I want to say here:

That can be taken in a much more metaphorical context

Also the bit where Cloud gets blamed for leading Tifa there? I am inclined to draw a little social commentary on sexism from that, but also this idea that Tifa is somehow weak and pandering to Cloud all along. Tifa led Cloud up the mountain, Tifa is responsible for Cloud becoming all that he could be.

On the subject of which, I loved this moment because it was the first time I'd ever seen "Faceless Mook Unmasked". Perhaps in part because of the graphics, I thought that a grunt was a grunt was a grunt. Combining the two models was completely out of the blue.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Maybe I'm just glossing over something, but that last part always seemed silly to me. Was it because of Cloud's exposure to Mako that he was able to toss a fully grown man with said man's blade impaling him and not die afterward?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It really is quite interesting how rarely this particular plot twist is mentioned anywhere, considering it's probably pretty high up there in the biggest twists in video games.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

Maybe I'm just glossing over something, but that last part always seemed silly to me. Was it because of Cloud's exposure to Mako that he was able to toss a fully grown man with said man's blade impaling him and not die afterward?

Cloud always had it in him, but he lacked the motivation to blossom. He wanted one day to be as strong as Sephiroth, and ended up stronger.

Or yeah, Mako.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Clearly Tifa and Cloud falling off of the mountain only saved them a horrible death via those grasshopper things that jump on you and eat your face.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
That final confrontation between cloud and Sephiroth also has on of my favorite music cues in. Just as Sephiroth impales cloud the music, which has switch to the main theme ever since cloud took of his helmet reaches this part. Its just so perfectly timed and helps make this one of the most triumphant moments in the game. Both because your finally seeing the resolution to the biggest mystery in the game and because it shows that even though he never made it in to SOLDIER Cloud is still incredibly badass when he needs to be.

Whenever I replayed the game I would always think of this seen whenever I heard that part of the overworld theme. Half the fun of reading this thread has been seeing Elentor build up all the mysteries and unanswered questions in the plot, know that this was coming.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So if this is how things happened, what part did Hojo play in the Cloud story or have we not gotten to that part yet. I don't remember the exact workings of the "created five years ago" reveal, but I'm having trouble gelling it with this.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

So if this is how things happened, what part did Hojo play in the Cloud story or have we not gotten to that part yet. I don't remember the exact workings of the "created five years ago" reveal, but I'm having trouble gelling it with this.

There's a hidden cutscene that explains this. Elentor is going to show it off later.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yonic Symbolism posted:

This is yet to be revealed. Patience.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Ah, sorry, I didn't know if how it works was implied and I was missing it or if it really was left out for the time being.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I gotta admit, I always loved that part of the game, watching Grunty Cloud boss up and chuck Sephiroth off the walkway by his own sword. The Real Cloud may not be the super awesome badass SOLDIER that Fakey made-Up cloud was portrayed to be, but he did have his moments, and shrugging off an 8 foot katana to the gut long enough to pitch the bastard wielding it into the abyss is one of them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

And Cloud wasn't anything special in the end, just another grunt.

I don't think ordinary humans take a giant katana to the gut and throw the katana wielder around.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Now how 16 year old Tifa lived through Sephiroth slashing her off of a flight of stairs is another matter.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
If he wasn't in SOLDIER, how does he have the Mako eyes? I'll just assume this is going to be explained soon?

So Sephiroth (and Hojo?) is really just being a dick because he knows Cloud is all sorts of mentally hosed up and can take advantage of it?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Azure_Horizon posted:

The sword acted as a-- Oh, wait, it fell with Sephiroth.

...He happened to have a Fire materia on him, and cauterized himself with some magic?

And thanks for this, Elentor. Even if I've never really played it all that much, it's still rather fun to see just why this is considered one of the most influential RPGs of all time. And not just for Aerith's death, either; it really is quite the doozy to see this part for the first time, as it all finally clicks together. Now to rapidly rush off to the conclusion. :v:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zarfol posted:

If he wasn't in SOLDIER, how does he have the Mako eyes? I'll just assume this is going to be explained soon?

It will be explained.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zarfol posted:

So Sephiroth (and Hojo?) is really just being a dick because he knows Cloud is all sorts of mentally hosed up and can take advantage of it?

Eh... It's probably more about how badly his pride must've been wounded. Remember, during the flashback sequence, the guy literally cannot take any damage whatsoever, and in-story, he's been constantly hyped up as the best of the best. To get himself beaten twice, in rapid succession, by Shin-Ra's equivalent of a rent-a-cop is not exactly something someone like Sephiroth would be able to live down.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

:aaaaa:

That's pretty much the big reveal of this disc, isn't it?

And I think the reason Cloud was able to throw Sephiroth over was either Mako (I think?) or adrenaline. Maybe both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Sephiroth was also wounded from the blade to the gut as well, and not exactly thinking clearly at the time.

• Locked thread