Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NihilCredo posted:

"Any forum but this one is a terrible place filled with idiots" is just a bloody obnoxious goon meme.
You know those stupid alignment arguments that sometimes crop up in this thread?

GitP's forum is absolutely full of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Colon V posted:

You know those stupid alignment arguments that sometimes crop up in this thread?

GitP's forum is absolutely full of those.

I tend to consult it to find (partial) builds on various characters. Usually for Xykon's spell list. But, yes, there is a lot of meta D&D discussion rather than anything of substance. Just like this thread during a long update period. :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The OOTS forum on GitP is the Realm of the Sperglords; but the rest of the forums is okay.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The GitP forums were basically a second TV Tropes, pedophilia included, as of my last visit there. Not a place I recommend visiting.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NihilCredo posted:

They're really hardcore :spergin: as any quick glance at their megathreads on putting stats on OotS characters will reveal, but I don't remember anything especially awful. "Any forum but this one is a terrible place filled with idiots" is just a bloody obnoxious goon meme.

The GitP forums are pretty spergy and threads often descend to TVTropes level of weirdness.

I visit lots of non-SA forums, many of them are great, but GitP forums are not in that list.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's a fairly good place to ask for advice about roleplaying in general, different systems, character builds and so on though. I usually check their Roleplaying Games and Webcomics sub-forums (they have a Rusty&Co thread). :shobon:

Like others have said, you probably want to stay away from the actual Oots part of it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

They're really hardcore :spergin: as any quick glance at their megathreads on putting stats on OotS characters will reveal, but I don't remember anything especially awful. "Any forum but this one is a terrible place filled with idiots" is just a bloody obnoxious goon meme.

They skew young, and nerdy. There's some decent stuff in there though. And Rich's apopleptic :argh: whenever they try and tell him how to do his job are loving hilarious. Also they have the phenomenal Silverclawshift archive of her 3.5 campaigns she played in, which are just great.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks
:siren:New comic!:siren:

One-emoticon summary: :psypop:

How much of what we just saw was even real?

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss it's so good

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

obviously none of it after the runes come into the picture.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But, even then there'd still be the phylactery, don't be so dumb, Roy!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

But, even then there'd still be the phylactery, don't be so dumb, Roy!

Well yeah, but it's around the neck of the trapped goblin with the red cloak.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Vorgen posted:

obviously none of it after the runes come into the picture.

Notice that Vaarsuvius is uninjured. Where did the healing magic come from if this Vaarsuvius is real? I suppose V could technically cast Limited Wish to pull that off, but ...

Edit: Yeah, other things are amiss too. Something's very, very wrong with Redcloak that's not immediately obvious. Compare the real Redcloak here.

Boldor fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 5, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

jng2058 posted:

Key point will be whether or not MitD is right behind Redcloak. Since Roy got fully briefed by O-Chul, he knows there's not much reason to fear Monster-san. If he's there, then the odds increase that it's really Xykon and Redcloak getting in from some back entrance that they know about because Girard trusted Serini, and she put it in the diary.

If he's missing then Phantasmal Killer or whatever is more likely.

CALLED IT! :dance:

No Monster, no reality! (Also, you can tell that V ain't real when she arrives since there's no Blackwing, which is another detail that Roy would omit, and we know that V looks pretty rough right now, and the V here is in pretty good shape.)

Nothing since the door opened is real. Possibly nothing since they entered the squiggly rune room is real, including Haley not finding a trap on the runes.

EDIT: Oh, and Xykon remembered Roy's name, even pleading with him by name not to kill him. Which, since he still has his phylactery safe somewhere is completely at odds with the last time Roy had Xykon at his mercy, back at the Redmountain Gate, where his reaction to his imminent destruction was "Well, crap."

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 5, 2013

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
oh my God please don't let Roy have killed V

Please please please don't let Roy have killed V

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Boldor posted:

Notice that Vaarsuvius is uninjured. Where did the healing magic come from if this Vaarsuvius is real? I suppose V could technically cast Limited Wish to pull that off, but ...

Edit: Yeah, other things are amiss too. Something's very, very wrong with Redcloak that's not immediately obvious. Compare the real Redcloak here.

Also, Xykon killed Mr. Scruffy in the illusion, which was the biggest tip off before the runes for me. Since Belkar's alive in the last panel, everything else must be fake.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Also 'Redcloak' is still carrying his his old holy symbol (Xykon's phylactery) here - his current one is diamond-shaped.

So yes, either phantasmal killer or maybe some epic illusion that makes the target believe that whatever reason they had for seeking the gate is no longer necessary.

Edit:

Boldor posted:

Ooh, good catch. Roy ought to know which eye Redcloak's lost, but maybe in the excitement he or O-Chul forgot which one?

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 5, 2013

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Xykon and Redcloak's Will saves may be too high, as might some of the Linear Guild's, but I'm very interested now what the other gate hunting parties would see entering that corridor.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I have a feeling that last panel wasn't the big reveal but the rather beat before it. I think Roy actually did kill someone he thought was Xykon. Someone who was using his name while pleading? V?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nilbop posted:

oh my God please don't let Roy have killed V

Please please please don't let Roy have killed V

His sword is sheathed. They haven't actually moved.

DoctorTristan posted:

maybe some epic illusion that makes the target believe that whatever reason they had for seeking the gate is no longer necessary.

That'd be my bet.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
It is perhaps telling that in Roy's Fantasy Adventure, Belkar dies quickly.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I wonder what the others are seeing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

His sword is sheathed. They haven't actually moved.

Yeah that. They're just standing there drooling.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You mean the guy who barely has enough Con to not die from having no Con, and thus has huge, retroactive penalties to all his HP rolls? And thus would fold like a world champion laundry folder if he actually gets hit by, for example, an epic level sorcerer's damage spells?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I think the most important thing here is that Roy now knows how to do that spell-disrupting move he learned in the afterlife.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

nimby posted:

I think the most important thing here is that Roy now knows how to do that spell-disrupting move he learned in the afterlife.
Since this seems to be all in his mind, wouldn't it mean that he just thinks he knows how to do it?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

jng2058 posted:

CALLED IT! :dance:

No Monster, no reality! (Also, you can tell that V ain't real when she arrives since there's no Blackwing, which is another detail that Roy would omit, and we know that V looks pretty rough right now, and the V here is in pretty good shape.)

Nothing since the door opened is real. Possibly nothing since they entered the squiggly rune room is real, including Haley not finding a trap on the runes.

EDIT: Oh, and Xykon remembered Roy's name, even pleading with him by name not to kill him. Which, since he still has his phylactery safe somewhere is completely at odds with the last time Roy had Xykon at his mercy, back at the Redmountain Gate, where his reaction to his imminent destruction was "Well, crap."

Sorry I called it before you dude.

Affi posted:

Five hundred pretendbux that this is an illusion.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Affi posted:

Sorry I called it before you dude.

Nope, he said that it's guaranteed to be an illusion if the Monster doesn't show up. So, he still gets the cool points.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zereth posted:

You mean the guy who barely has enough Con to not die from having no Con, and thus has huge, retroactive penalties to all his HP rolls? And thus would fold like a world champion laundry folder if he actually gets hit by, for example, an epic level sorcerer's damage spells?

Actually I mean "the guy Roy doesn't like at all and who clearly will never make an Evasion roll since it's Roy's Dream World," but y'know, pretty much the same thing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
... huh.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

As well as Mr. Scruffy.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

Xykon and Redcloak's Will saves may be too high, as might some of the Linear Guild's, but I'm very interested now what the other gate hunting parties would see entering that corridor.

Xykon is also undead and therefore immune to phantasms.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Man, that comic kicked rear end!!
What do the glowing runes spell out?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

tripwood posted:

Man, that comic kicked rear end!!
What do the glowing runes spell out?
My Lovely Horse told us:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nothing quite so advanced, simply Miskatonic, the go-to font for your webcomics' magic language runes needs. 8-Bit Theater used to do stuff with it here and there, that's where I know it from. Nothing to actually read in there really, it's more like a symbol substitution cypher.
It simply says "NOSECRETMESSAGE" :)

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I wasn't sure the glowing ones spelled the same thing, thanks.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's a neat detail that the colors start getting more and more washed out as the sequence plays out, to the point Roy's sword's hilt turns blue.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
So I got to thinking about what the narrative purpose of this sequence was, and it feels like it was mainly to establish ahead of time that a melee-range one-on-one between Roy and Xykon at this point would, under the D&D rules of the comic, lead to a victory for Roy.

Which probably means that when that situation finally pops up for real, circumstances will conspire to force Roy to abandon the opportunity to off Xykon (perhaps to rescue someone else, because of blackmail or, getting into crazy unlikely turf, the necessity of a Roy/Xykon team-up to stop someone else like a Redcloak who has finally shown his true colors)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Slashrat posted:

So I got to thinking about what the narrative purpose of this sequence was, and it feels like it was mainly to establish ahead of time that a melee-range one-on-one between Roy and Xykon at this point would, under the D&D rules of the comic, lead to a victory for Roy.

Which probably means that when that situation finally pops up for real, circumstances will conspire to force Roy to abandon the opportunity to off Xykon (perhaps to rescue someone else, because of blackmail or, getting into crazy unlikely turf, the necessity of a Roy/Xykon team-up to stop someone else like a Redcloak who has finally shown his true colors)

Or: Roy will try to do it and realize too late that Xykon has a counter he didn't expect.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
No, I think the narrative purpose is to have the Order helpless so that literally only Varsuvius can save them now. Just because the "greatest dream" enchantment has Roy beating Xykon so easily doesn't mean that his move will be an instant win button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

quote:

maybe some epic illusion that makes the target believe that whatever reason they had for seeking the gate is no longer necessary.

I wonder who's going to be the one to see through it. The most obvious choice is Roy, who had earlier demonstrated enough analytic skill to see through not-Thog; but to see through an illusion first you have to want to, and we've just seen Roy almost completely broken, and kind of desperate to get things back in order and win the day.

Who else can see through the illusion, then? Maybe someone who would, in doing so, prove that he does count. Someone who has the ability to immediately see the scenario that just occurred for what it is, which is a very awkward anticlimax...