Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.
I have had that happen as well. From my experience, if I let them run pre-battle it goes fine. If I engage and then auto-complete and choose to let them run it results in the hero inexplicably dying. The few times it has come up where I engage and they eventually run the hero hasn't died, but that's pretty limited so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Yeah, it happens when I auto-complete. Also, when I go to a Lair and successfully hire people, event boxes pop up over the recruitment screen, so if the next hero starts a battle I don't get to hire. Or it pops up with the Garrison screen, so oushing any button to make it go away ALSO loses the recruits. It also takes off the special recruits when I choose one, so if I want, say, Fairies AND Dryads I need to use two turns. Bugs bugs bugs

EDIT: And now I can't beat this low morale shard. Oinor is the only dude, and when I beat his stronghold the turn progresses like nothing, and I can keep killing the same militiamen in his keep forever. What is going on today :psyduck:

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 2, 2013

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Does this game perform really terribly on anyone else's computer? I'll admit mine's getting kinda long in the tooth, but it runs Skyrim just fine, so what the heck is this game doing that's making everything chug?

I notice a lot of slow down during the cpu's turns...compared to say CIV V or Shogun it feels like a long time for a fairly (at least graphically) simple game.

slightlyslow posted:

- Added support for displays with 768 vertical pixels resolution.

That is awesome...No matter what resolution I tried I couldn't get any thing that looked decent or didn't stretch the screen so I couldn't see poo poo.

Found a bug today in my game...basically I can visit a wizards tower each turn and they give me 400g. Don't want to ruin the gameplay so I just leave that alone.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
While I like the speed increase, there's two things I dislike, first I have an annoying bug now where it crashes when I load games during a combat. The second thing must have been a feature removal or something because I remember I used to be able to access the building from the captial with a right click radial menu, now the option is greyed out and I have to access it from the button on the bottom on the screen. Not a big deal, but annoying.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Is it just me, or do I have to grind extensively just to beat the first level? Also, the overworld seems kind of slow and jittery, even with the graphics turned down to low.

I'm considering trying to finally get Eador:Genesis working instead, which I purchased on GoG forever ago but could never get running on my 64-bit laptop. I don't think I have the right version of DxWnd to make it work.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Games pretty horribly optimized, my computer stays quiet like a churchmouse during large battles in planetside 2 (medium-high settings) but eador makes it huff and puff even on small maps :gonk:
And yeah that first level is a pain.. I recommend turning down the difficulty until after a few shards when you have access to some good units/spells.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Is it just me, or do I have to grind extensively just to beat the first level? Also, the overworld seems kind of slow and jittery, even with the graphics turned down to low.

Don't worry, in the later shards you won't be able to grind because the enemies will have actual AI. :unsmigghh:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gobblecoque posted:

Don't worry, in the later shards you won't be able to grind because the enemies will have actual AI. :unsmigghh:

I always wonder how these games would play out against other players where there the majority of battles aren't there just to drain your resources. That always seems to be a common tactic in these strategy games is that the challenge is rarely in any individual battle but instead suffering the least amount of attrition over a long game. I wish one of these games would have a "quick battle mode" where you could set the number of units each player had then just duel, that would be pretty interesting to see what works against a real player and what doesn't.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

PaybackJack posted:

I always wonder how these games would play out against other players where there the majority of battles aren't there just to drain your resources. That always seems to be a common tactic in these strategy games is that the challenge is rarely in any individual battle but instead suffering the least amount of attrition over a long game. I wish one of these games would have a "quick battle mode" where you could set the number of units each player had then just duel, that would be pretty interesting to see what works against a real player and what doesn't.

Check out the Banner Saga: Factions on steam. Its f2p and is pretty much exactly what you describe (although its not really that good IMO).

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

Clearly that man has not played Zombies: the Zombie simulator. Wherein whenever a unit dies you keep casting summon zombie to overwhelm the enemy ranks with sheer numbers.

Or maybe the dude just likes to create big ol' doomstacks and gently caress everything up. Can't really blame him if he does.

Its not just about creating doomstacks, its about being able to leverage your economy and keep low-tier units useful in the late-game.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
How do I make my people happy? I have several provinces in constant revolt... But I haven't really done anything to make them mad and I don't see a way to make them happy.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sometimes events but don't count on those. Eventually you will get the ability to build a pub in provinces and when you have a 400 gold building (forget the name, second one after the entertainment tent) in your entertainment quarter it will improve the mood of any province with a pub by 1. You can also get a healer building upgrade that allows you to hire Brothers of Light or something, a guard that goes into the province to make them one happier. There's also a building you get if you ally with elves that improves mood everywhere by 1.

The pub makes you money but the guard cost you money every turn so I tend to put them both down on provinces that get super pissed when you first conquer them, let the extra point of unhappiness they start with fade over time as they all do, let the outrage built up go down a bit, then take away the guard and they'll lose the 1 point of dissatisfaction before they go into full on revolt.

Argy Bargy
Nov 11, 2012
The 400g building is the theater, which is often overlooked but pretty useful, if expensive. There are also some rituals that increase province mood, such as Extravaganza, Gifts of Heaven, Heavenly Light, though these are temporary. Some races are just predisposed to hating you and all you can do is slow down the rate of unrest. They will eventually revolt, though, it's just a matter of how long you can delay it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Don't think of the pub as a money-making building, it's return is really, really poor, and the gold spent on it would be more useful just sitting in your treasury waiting for a random event.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Gamebreaking combat bugs every other fight. Several different ones. I'll shelf this bug-riddled game for now.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Is there any point in conquering the dirt poor goblin provinces?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Spite.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
I keep running into a combat bug where the AI won't start it's turn and it just sits there. I've found that if you start the Auto Combat (NOT the quick combat) and then stop it right away by clicking on the banner at the top, the AI will continues it's turn. When this has happened it's been for every turn in that combat.

Edit: The battles sure do get a lot more epic on just a custom map game.

Starhawk fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 5, 2013

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Lichtenstein posted:

Buffer provinces and resources, like mandrake.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Lichtenstein posted:

My imperialist tendencies won't let me ignore them, no matter how bad they are.

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.
Oh man, just ran into a really depressing bug. I finally got to the point where I could invade other master's worlds and immediately invaded the first evil jerk you meet. It took forever to break through the middle-ground, but I eventually won. I got some really sweet buildings, only to discover that the game didn't actually unlock them for me. I tried reloading the last few turns and I get different buildings but none are ever unlocked. I really don't want to spend 5+ hours conquering that world again, so I guess I'll just wait until it gets fixed. Has anyone else had this happen?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So does this game lean more towards HoMM/King's Bounty, or Masters of Magic? I've always hoped for something to follow up on the latter well.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

So does this game lean more towards HoMM/King's Bounty, or Masters of Magic? I've always hoped for something to follow up on the latter well.
Definitely more in the vein of HOMM. As for the latter, I assume you've played the Age of Wonders series to death?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
No, it's actually been awhile since I picked any of those up since I don't have the CDs or anything now. While my original MoM CD is sitting happily in a case within arms reach.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

slightlyslow posted:

Oh man, just ran into a really depressing bug. I finally got to the point where I could invade other master's worlds and immediately invaded the first evil jerk you meet. It took forever to break through the middle-ground, but I eventually won. I got some really sweet buildings, only to discover that the game didn't actually unlock them for me. I tried reloading the last few turns and I get different buildings but none are ever unlocked. I really don't want to spend 5+ hours conquering that world again, so I guess I'll just wait until it gets fixed. Has anyone else had this happen?

Did the game not show the guy's world as conquered? I'm not to the point where you do have to do this but I'm guessing the end game is having to conquer everyone else's world. I don't have tier 3 units yet and I've knocked off 2 people so far. I killed the Thug guy right away, the Witch and am now attacking the Cloud.

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.
Yep, the dude is gone and I was able to invade other worlds as usual, I just didn't get any stuff from conquering that shard.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
How's the multiplayer? Is it simultaneous turns or one at a time? Is there a variety of game modes for multiplayer? Convince me to buy this game, and a good single player isn't gonna be enough.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The best way to beat a Dragon is using a Dragon transformation spell, it's expensive but it's also hilarious to watch against stuff like trolls.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

So I just finished killing the Cloud, who was totally going to kick my rear end with a level 25 Scout until I lucked into a scroll of summon Demon, and a Necromancer shows up. How many of these drat enemy mages are there, christ! Anyway my rage turned to amusement when I killed the entire population of my shard to appease him. I want someone to invade me now so I can see my awesome ruined world.

Cocoham
Dec 30, 2008

Eschatos posted:

How's the multiplayer? Is it simultaneous turns or one at a time? Is there a variety of game modes for multiplayer? Convince me to buy this game, and a good single player isn't gonna be enough.

The multiplayer is just battles, there's no overworld/city building stuff. It kinda blows.

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.
A new week, a new patch. I'm still not getting building upgrades from conquering master shards, but it seems like I'm just unlucky. As buggy as this game was on release (and it wasn't as bad as some others), at least they are releasing patches pretty fast.

Edit: Hero's randomly dying after battle is also not fixed yet.

A new update is now available for download. Here are the 1.0.6 patch notes:

— Improved HUD for units on the tactical map.
— The way unit speed animation changes has been improved.
— Optimized tooltip display for mouse cursor movement.
— Improved support of displays with 768 vertical pixels resolution.
— Fixed ‘Lighting change’ mode functioning.

Multiplayer:

— Mistiming problems fixes.
— Fixed disconnection problems between the server and the game’s client in a multiplayer game and in the lobby.
— There are now two game modes in multiplayer:

1) ‘Advanced’ mode — number of points depends on the number of played games and achieved victories;
2) ‘Classic’ mode — every player has an equal number of points (1000 at the moment).

— Added icons for player statuses: ‘Player is looking for an opponent’, ‘Player is in the game’.
— Added information display of other players’ spent points.
— Updated prices for units, spells and items.
— Improved chat.

Fixed:

— ‘Endless siege’ bug.
— Berserk barbarian animation caused the game to crash.
— Selected building is not correctly highlighted in the city screen.
— Effects bug of ‘A portal to Chaos’ event.
— Battle starts before some of the dialogues are over.
— Capitals generating on neutral terrain types.
— AI controlled hero doesn’t attack the castle’s garrison while it’s under siege.
— Delays in selection, giving orders and showing tooltip for units.
— Problem with necromancy skill and hero information display after the battle.
— Inability to sell an item in some cases.
— Bug that caused heroes to receive new skills and parameters earlier than intended.
— Attack of the enemy castle with no units in the garrison.
— Bug with provinces capturing where defenders could become guards in some cases.
— Karma transfer from the shard map to the astral.
— Killing a skeleton during a battle could cause the game to crash.

slightlyslow fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 8, 2013

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

slightlyslow posted:

— Karma transfer from the shard map to the astral.

AT LAST.

As far as I'm concerned, the game is fixed now.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I don't know how much content the could add but it would be nice if killing the other Gods got you a something more than a seemingly random group of buildings. Maybe they could patch in replacement or upgrade buildings for each Mage that you can toggle on by spending energy before you conquer a shard. Then there's some thematic building that differentiates one guy from another.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
What exactly does that energy do anyway? I only played custom games until now, due to having a campaign bug.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Tahirovic posted:

What exactly does that energy do anyway? I only played custom games until now, due to having a campaign bug.

You can spend energy to get benefits in that shard. The benefits are things like having certain items in your treasury or units in your armory, extra gold/crystals at the start or per turn, having buildings already built, or having guard contracts available from the start.

Unfortunately, while you'd think this would be intended to allow you to get to the higher tiers quickly, it really doesn't speed up the early game at all. You're still trudging through the same tier 1 units, leveling the same way each time.

This game could really have benefitted from a Dungeon Keeper style system where you could carry over your best army, or HoMM style where you'd hit a level cap each shard. Would really make it less of a slog going through the early game of each shard.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 8, 2013

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Why is it okay for good Masters to throw up Cutthroats and Gangs of Thieves on every single province without repercussion? Vianta is a hypocritical bitch.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm completely convinced guards have no impact on NPC. No karmic repercussions, no cost to their treasury, nothing. They just poo poo out guards everywhere on even lovely little one gold swamp provinces. I've totalled up the numbers while one of them attacked my shard and I could see everything. There's just no way in hell he could afford the upkeep on all the guards.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SumYungGui posted:

I'm completely convinced guards have no impact on NPC. No karmic repercussions, no cost to their treasury, nothing. They just poo poo out guards everywhere on even lovely little one gold swamp provinces. I've totalled up the numbers while one of them attacked my shard and I could see everything. There's just no way in hell he could afford the upkeep on all the guards.

It would not be shocking to see that the AI cheats at various difficult levels. Hell if after 20 years of Sid Meier's Civilization games, which still have AI cheating as a balancing mechanic for higher difficulty, there's probably no way they could design the AI in this game without it.

Let's be honest though, you can't really rush in this game due to map design so it's not like by the time you get to the enemy territory you're really going to get thwarted by running into thieves every province. If the AI is hitting you early, stealing your land, and you can't stop his hero you're already hosed.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Yeah, the latter is what just happened vs. Vianta. Before that I invaded Beleth because he is a prick, and after eight hours of building up to defeat the high level neutrals between us I beat his Cutthroats and Militia and took his vase in five turns. Basically, the AI could use a few tweaks to level the field in the early and late game.

Edit: I mean base, but I took his vases too.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.
Another new patch:

A new update 1.0.7 is now available for download.

Patch notes:

- Added a button at the center of the quarter wheel in the city screen. When pressed, it’ll position the camera on general city view.

Fixed:

- A bug that caused essential for progressing provinces appear on shards with standard conditions.
- Archmage’s inability to use two spells in his first turn.
- ‘Parry’ and ‘Forced March’ skills weren’t working properly in the first turn.
- Game’s freeze after diplomatic capture of a province.
- Event spam after hiring gargoyles.
- Wrong color of information display when a province is 100% explored.
- ‘Unrest’ icon will no longer be shown on the map if inhabitant’s attitude to player’s reign is positive.
- An exploit involving an exchange between heroes and hiring units in besieged enemy capital’s garrison.
- A bug that allowed learning spells during enemy capital’s siege.
- A bug that allowed learning spells from scrolls if the Library isn't constructed.
- Health indicator display at 1 HP for dragon and hydra units.
- A bug that allowed summoning creatures from eggs and keeping the eggs at the same time.
- Ability to summon creatures from eggs outside the garrison.
- Icons of guards unavailable for hire weren’t displayed correctly.
- A bug that allowed constructing planned buildings at the start of a turn during enemy capital’s siege.
- Mistiming in multiplayer caused by use of summoning skills or spells.
- Found ritual scrolls, guard pacts and building blueprints now won’t be displayed if hero’s inventory is full.
- Player’s portrait incorrect display on the statistics screen during the tutorial.
- A bug that caused wrong camera positioning in the city screen when a building from Foreign Quarter was selected.
- A bug that caused recurring uprising in a captured province.
- Inability to place units in a hot-seat or multiplayer battle after starting and leaving the tutorial.
- Upgrades for units weren’t displaying on the strategic map after using auto-battle or ‘Illusionary Battle’ ritual.
- A bug that caused the game to freeze after an enemy slug used ‘Necrophagy’ skill.
- Battle continuation after victory based on morale is achieved.
- Game’s freeze caused by using ‘Double Shot’ skill and enemy unit dying by the first shot arrow.
- Missing screen for choosing the second specialization for a hero when he was leveled up exploring a province.
- Game’s freeze caused by fighting in two battles in a row with different armies with auto-battle set to ‘On’.
- Game’s freeze caused by fighting in a battle and refusing to fight in the next one with auto-battle set to ‘On’.
- A nearby province was highlighted as impassable when ‘Forced March’ skill was used.

• Locked thread