Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Slashrat posted:

I think what you gain in extra loot doesn't make up for the fact that you'd no longer be able to set up an extra satellite uplink and 3-4 satellites in month one. The deadlines for getting those productions started are very tight, and if you're unlucky, even the first UFO won't show up before you have to start constructing the uplink itself.

To get my first classic win, I restarted four or five times in order to get the second UFO before the satellite deadlines. Passing on the first UFO is very much the optimum opening strategy, but to actually work, it requires a pretty high level of luck/savescumming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Phobophilia posted:

Does anyone have good experiences ignoring the first UFO, in hopes of luring a larger UFO later so you can get extra loot?

No. I've never ignored a ufo and I've always gotten a battleship by at least the 4th month, fastest being right after the overseer ship. I honestly don't think there is any validity to the "ignore a small ufo, get bigger one", or as a post on the first page said,

coffeetable posted:

Getting this in on page one:

ANY ISSUES WITH THE PRNG ARE IN FACT ISSUES WITH YOUR lovely MONKEY-BRAIN PATTERN RECOGNITION ABILITIES

Also the picture in the op is apparently down.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 4, 2013

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The only battleship I've seen was when I was still using Ravens. Even with plasma cannons I got completely owned and haven't encountered another since I splashed the Overseer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Brainamp posted:

Also the picture in the op is apparently down.
Fixed, much appreciated for the shout-out.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Brainamp posted:

No. I've never ignored a ufo and I've always gotten a battleship by at least the 4th month, fastest being right after the overseer ship. I honestly don't think there is any validity to the "ignore a small ufo, get bigger one", or as a post on the first page said,

Err... I don't know what you're associating it with, but the idea is to ignore the very first UFO you spot (small scout); a few days later a Medium Scout will show up, carrying much more loot while still being within what your missile ravens can handle.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

straw man posted:

To get my first classic win, I restarted four or five times in order to get the second UFO before the satellite deadlines. Passing on the first UFO is very much the optimum opening strategy, but to actually work, it requires a pretty high level of luck/savescumming.

Anything that requires savescumming to work cannot be the optimal strategy, by definition.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
greedy algorithm is provably optimal on I/I, don't make me type that out on a forum plz, QED

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Shumagorath posted:

The only battleship I've seen was when I was still using Ravens. Even with plasma cannons I got completely owned and haven't encountered another since I splashed the Overseer.

I had one show up immediately after completing the slingshot battleship mission. Fusion cores galore.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I get battleships late in the game (October, perhaps November) even when I've got EMP Cannons across a worldwide cover of Firestorms. Not sure why people are having problems getting them. If you're not destroying missions left and right by around September regardless of the difficulty setting you're on, you should get a battleship even then.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I get Battleships within the first two months.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Brainamp posted:

This is not RNG stuff, it's a game mechanic. It's also easier to notice later on once you can get more details about UFOs and their mission. If you fail to shoot down a UFO that has a scouting mission, a larger UFO will appear over the same area soon afterwards and shoot down your satellite (or get shot down by you). This is the best way to get a battleship to appear whenever you're ready for fusion launchers, by the way.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Just finished a classic ironman game with all the second wave options turned on. Things were a LOT more intense on the world map, first satellite was $420, my monthly income was $23. Had to rush the alien base to help me out with panic, ended up with 5 satellites in total, and that was because I managed to save up and buy two at once for $600ish, 5th cost $1020 and 6th would have been $1600. Ended up with 6 countries lost, my only psychic ended up being my crappiest sniper, with 95 aim at colonel and 50 will.
Can highly recommend, although the tactical missions still end up easy in the mid/late game, there is definitely a lot more pressure to rush for the game ending tech's asap before you lose. I spent a lot more time using light plasma rifles then I normally would, focusing my research on the game ending tech's asap instead of plasma rifles and ghost. Money is always at a premium, I ended up capturing all of my light and regular plasma rifles, and got very few foundry techs complete, just ammo conservation and advanced medkit.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Is there any point to continuing to psi-test? It seems like the first round is guaranteed to give you a psionic, but I've tested about 70 other soldiers across multiple playthroughs and never had anyone turn up positive after that first one.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

duralict posted:

Is there any point to continuing to psi-test? It seems like the first round is guaranteed to give you a psionic, but I've tested about 70 other soldiers across multiple playthroughs and never had anyone turn up positive after that first one.

The chance of getting a psi-soldier is based on their will. Testing rookies and squaddies is very unlikely to get you a psi-soldier, just because they have much less will than your colonels.

I think the game is also rigged a little (to guarantee you one in the first batch, and make them less likely as you get more of them), but you can still put together a squad of six psis with only a little luck needed if you make sure to rank people up before testing them.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Jabor posted:

The chance of getting a psi-soldier is based on their will. Testing rookies and squaddies is very unlikely to get you a psi-soldier, just because they have much less will than your colonels.

I think the game is also rigged a little (to guarantee you one in the first batch, and make them less likely as you get more of them), but you can still put together a squad of six psis with only a little luck needed if you make sure to rank people up before testing them.

In my first game I didn't get a psionic in my first batch

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Jabor posted:

You're not guaranteed a psionic in the first batch, but its fairly likely.
The probability is scaled based on the number of psionics you already have, so as you get more, new ones become increasingly unlikely.
With infinite time and patience, you can still get a full squad if you want. On the other hand, at this point your squad is already an unstoppable group of murder machines, so there's not that much use other than personal amusement.

One of the second wave options increases this scaling by a significant amount, making it so that you probably only get one, and maybe two if you're persistent.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Muscle Tracer posted:

This is not RNG stuff, it's a game mechanic. It's also easier to notice later on once you can get more details about UFOs and their mission. If you fail to shoot down a UFO that has a scouting mission, a larger UFO will appear over the same area soon afterwards and shoot down your satellite (or get shot down by you). This is the best way to get a battleship to appear whenever you're ready for fusion launchers, by the way.

This. Look for the word scout. Letting the scout escape means that soon after you'll get an abductor or battle ship class ship coming after you.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

duralict posted:

Psi testing is also predetermined once you put them in the chamber and start scanning for activity. If you get all duds you can reload a save from before you put those particular soldiers in and try again. I'm just happy that my first psyker was my Assault named after real and fictional Russian heroes.

Soldier hires, on the other hand, are given their details on arrival. This is more useful once you get Rookie->Squaddie training so you can reload if you get yet another sniper.

TheSpiritFox posted:

This. Look for the word scout. Letting the scout escape means that soon after you'll get an abductor or battle ship class ship coming after you.
Hmm, that would explain why I saw mine while the Overseer was doing laps around all my Ravens. Will have to try letting a scout go next time.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 5, 2013

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm in November having finally downed my first battleship and got my fusion weapon tech. At this point I'm just teching up for the final battle / getting my Valkyrie achievement, but China quit the project without even giving me a courtesy terror mission right as I got satellites over every last country. Fuckers.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I wish I got Support Psionics. Heavies and Assaults and Snipers get cool toys to use in the middle of combat, but a Support is a super-rookie. I'd rather day lay down mindfrays and inspires and mindcontrols. Maybe I'll send in my best supports in my first batch this game.

Then again, a HEAT heavy can like one-shot the Sectopods in the penultimate room with Rift.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I'm actually kind of partial to Heavy Psionics, since they have a number of situations where they'll be out of range to use their LMG, but can still pull out a Mind Control or something to make themsleves useful during a turn. And if you position them well, you can even fire off a shot on their first move, and then use Mindfray or something on the second turn to save ammo!

On the other hand, I usually have my Supports positioned very specifically so they can heal/smoke/cover my guys in combat situations. It really kinda sucks having to decide if I want to risk a Mind Control on some rear end in a top hat Muton behind full cover, or if I want to give my Assault guy a medpack before his guts fall out of his plasma hole.

But in all honesty they both work well enough that it doesn't matter THAT much at the end of the day, hell even an Assault Psionic is pretty drat handy considering that he'll probably be in range of everyone he wants to mind zap. gently caress Psionic Snipers though. Seriously.

Hace fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 6, 2013

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I love psi heavies, having Mindfray really helps to make up for the fact that they don't get a real sidearm.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I'm a bit dubious about the game's claim that this area was "empty"

This is on I/I too, so that was a lot of hp to shoot through. Almost didn't manage to save anybody because all the civvies decided that the aliens just really wanted some hugs. All chrysallids, most civilians became zombies, and a cyberdisc for good measure. Two assaults and two heavies can bring the pain, though :black101:

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Soldier hires, on the other hand, are given their details on arrival. This is more useful once you get Rookie->Squaddie training so you can reload if you get yet another sniper.

Ha, I love extra snipers. My third game I actually wound up with four high-level snipers from abduction mission rewards and just went with it. A squad of five double-tap snipers abusing the ghost armor for positioning is pretty much unstoppable in the final mission, I don't think any of the enemies even managed to fire. That squad did really suck at terror missions, though.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Quick question, is the final mission an overseer UFO? Because i'm having trouble taking that piece of poo poo down, and i got four interceptors with plasma cannons.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

You don't have to shoot anything down for the final mission, no. Also research the flight tech, you really need the second-tier fighters if you want to shoot anything down past a certain point.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fargin Icehole posted:

Quick question, is the final mission an overseer UFO? Because i'm having trouble taking that piece of poo poo down, and i got four interceptors with plasma cannons.

No, the final mission tells you it's the final mission.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fargin Icehole posted:

Use up a bunch of the consumables or research Fusion Lances/Firestorms and laugh at any UFO.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think there's another weird bug. I had a Thin Man put a rookie into a critical state, and then spit poison on him. Fair enough, but luckily I had a Revive/Savior/Improved Medkit Support nearby that put him into max health. Strangely enough, next turn, he started panicking, and the turn after, he just died. Poison having some kind of internal timer that doesn't cut out a few turns later, and putting you into negative HP that exceeds your actual HP? God knows, I ragequited afterwards.

Thin Men are total dicks that will loving murder you through Full Cover.

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

greedy algorithm is provably optimal on I/I, don't make me type that out on a forum plz, QED

I am interested to see this proof for academic purposes. Can you link me to it? In particular, I'm curious what metric(s) or decision behaviors are used to define "greedy".

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I am going to find the person who designed Thin Men and strangle them to death.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

duralict posted:

Ha, I love extra snipers. My third game I actually wound up with four high-level snipers from abduction mission rewards and just went with it. A squad of five double-tap snipers abusing the ghost armor for positioning is pretty much unstoppable in the final mission, I don't think any of the enemies even managed to fire. That squad did really suck at terror missions, though.

Double Tap actually saved my lead sniper's rear end in a terror mission yesterday. First shot missed despite an 85% chance to hit, but I hadn't moved so the next one killed the Chrysalid that was charging me.

Hard to take In The Zone on the others after that.

Zore posted:

Use up a bunch of the consumables or research Fusion Lances/Firestorms and laugh at any UFO.
Can you even get fusion weapons without shooting down your first battleship? Mounting one on a Raven seems silly when a Firestorm with EMP or Plasma already takes them out with only a few paint scratches.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 6, 2013

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I thought In The Zone was the ultimate chryssalid killer? Get a plasma rifle and just never ever stop shooting as long as there are more chryssalids in sight? Disclaimer: I have never, ever taken In The Zone.

VVV Yes, it can only be used every other turn. VVV

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 6, 2013

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Does double tap have a cool down? It seems to only work every other turn for me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Orgophlax posted:

Does double tap have a cool down? It seems to only work every other turn for me.

Yep - as designed, though not documented.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Muscle Tracer posted:

I thought In The Zone was the ultimate chryssalid killer? Get a plasma rifle and just never ever stop shooting as long as there are more chryssalids in sight? Disclaimer: I have never, ever taken In The Zone.

Pretty much, I cleared a terror mission in two turns when I threw a battle scanner with my first sniper and then proceeded to murder every chrysalid in sight and two mutons with my other sniper, the second round was just cleanup.

I have since stopped taking ITZ though, I find Double Tap much more reliable while ITZ is still quite situational.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Muscle Tracer posted:

VVV Yes, it can only be used every other turn. VVV

ITZ is pretty good combined with ghost armor and good positioning, but it's a lot more situational than Double Tap. Basically they are both awesome, but one gets more general use and one gets more tactical use.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Double Tap is better, In the Zone is cooler.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can hit F1 when you have your sniper selected to see if they have Double Tap available.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The right answer is of course to bring two Snipers, one with ITZ and the other with DT.

Still, it's nice that X-COM makes all the classes useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If In the Zone is really only worth it against cryssalids, You can make a DT sniper for normal missions, and an ITZ sniper for terror missions.

• Locked thread