Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

This loving game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45hBrilbJSw

#3, same issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The release milestone for the second DLC came and went without a peep, so it's safe to say it got canned and hopefully any cool ideas (read: new helmets) it had got rolled up into the upcoming expansion pack. We'll probably see more news about the expansion pack after Civ V's Brave New World is out, so maybe at PAX?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yeah, you're thinking of the head icons in the lower right corner.

Does anyone know if there is a source of XCOM swag? Because if I could get a sweater like Dr. Vahlen's, or even just a Vigilo Confido shirt, I would rock that poo poo every drat day.

IIRC the physical Limited Edition of the game came with a cloth patch of the XCOM emblem that you could then sew onto whatever piece of clothing you wanted.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I honestly would have not minded another Slingshot-like DLC. Obviously it's not ideal, but if it was like 70% done when they scrapped it, I would have preferred that they just finish and release it. A few new missions, a special character dude, and a bunch of new hats/outfits would hit the spot right about now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

revtoiletduck posted:

I honestly would have not minded another Slingshot-like DLC. Obviously it's not ideal, but if it was like 70% done when they scrapped it, I would have preferred that they just finish and release it. A few new missions, a special character dude, and a bunch of new hats/outfits would hit the spot right about now.

As long as there are new armors and hats, I'll pay even for that.

nacon
May 7, 2005

Slashrat posted:

There was a second piece of DLC planned. The achievements for it were already in the game, just hidden, and judging by their text, it was laid out much like Slingshot.

Evidently they scrapped that plan after Slingshot's release and, hopefully, have gone on to plan something bigger and more ambitious instead.

I'd just be happy with some more armor/helmets/color schemes so I can continue to play badass-soldier-dressup.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
I'd love new maps with a map and scenario editor. That's what we need.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

nacon posted:

I'd just be happy with some more armor/helmets/color schemes so I can continue to play badass-soldier-dressup.
Yeah, this is pretty much the only reason why I even bought the Slingshot mission pack.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

GodspeedSphere posted:

I'd love new maps with a map and scenario editor. That's what we need.

A-loving-men. A Portal II-style level editor with themes and set pieces, and a map pack, maybe even with non-wilderness UFO crashes, would scratch all of my non-bug-related itches.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Last DLC Jake Solomon got surprised that people didn't like Slingshot because when he was designing it he was considering that people are only going to play through XCOM a couple of times which would actually make Slingshot work.

After Slingshot release he said that they're going to change their development plan for XCOM.

Considering everything that Jake Tweeted before my bet is that they're working on an expansion-DLC that's going to add more mechanics to the game, because he acknowledged that he realized that it's what people want, also it's probably going to be TFTD themed because at some point he said that he'd like to make TFTD "properly" and when some players asked him if he's making TFTD DLC he didn't deny it.

I've already said it once, but I'll say it again and think that Apocalypse is a vastly superior setting and concept to try to do "properly." But I suppose I'd rather they save that for a sequel (and it would probably be impossible to pull off as a DLC). I'm not sure if an entire new campaign as DLC would be worthwhile. I would think that there would be a lot less mission variety and would generally be shorter than the regular campaign.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that despite Solomon getting surprised regarding a lot of things that X-COM players take for granted I have to give him props for actually listening to the fans instead of pulling a Bioware style whine regarding how the players don't understand their vision. It's a rare thing nowadays, unfortunatly.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound

Slashrat posted:

IIRC the physical Limited Edition of the game came with a cloth patch of the XCOM emblem that you could then sew onto whatever piece of clothing you wanted.

I wanted that thing for my travel rucksack so bad, but the limited edition was way expensive

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

revtoiletduck posted:

I wouldn't mind a (large) pool of Slingshot-like random events, of which one or two different ones could be pulled in each playthrough. It's a shame that it's the same drat thing shoehorned into every game once you have the DLC active.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Azzip posted:

I wanted that thing for my travel rucksack so bad, but the limited edition was way expensive

Something like this?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They could make it so that TFTD enemies start attacking towards the middle of the regular campaign, that would add difficulty and variety to the lategame.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
Finished my I/I game:

:D

Thanks for the advice guys, the last mission really was a breeze compared to the nightmare before: I lost 6 countries, 7 men and a lot of nerves. I'll propably never try it again, I seeing as playing was plain torture and I barely survived to the end of the campaign by sheer luck.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They could make it so that TFTD enemies start attacking towards the middle of the regular campaign, that would add difficulty and variety to the lategame.

I'd be good with a shitload of more varied maps, too. Sometimes it feels like you get the same exact map on your random missions over and over again.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I just finished watching Live & Impossible 3. The part where the two guys get poisoned and then one of them miracle shots the Thin Man and Beagle loses his poo poo is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Jack Trades posted:

at some point he said that he'd like to make TFTD "properly" and when some players asked him if he's making TFTD DLC he didn't deny it.

I really love underwater environments in the unreal engine 3 and can already imagine how atmospheric USO missions would be.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Muscle Tracer posted:

maybe even with non-wilderness UFO crashes

This is my biggest pet peeve about the UFOs. The encounters are always in "Nondescript patch of forest", they have no variety. I would pay good money for DLC that included new UFO missions

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Need my farmhouse, desert, and tundra maps back.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I want Urban landings/cash sites and a late game Chryssalid analogue that isn't the berzerker, because they suck.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound

Elephant Ambush posted:

I just finished watching Live & Impossible 3. The part where the two guys get poisoned and then one of them miracle shots the Thin Man and Beagle loses his poo poo is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

Yeah that was a classic moment. It's like he flailed has hands to his head and knocked over all his poo poo and then had to get up and compose himself across the room.

"Holy poo poo, did you see that?"

I really hope Jake saw it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Are there any decent gameplay mods that work with the latest patches? I tried installing a couple from nexus but no dice.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
So what's the general consensus on OpenXCOM? Grognardy bugfixes, or substantive improvements that make the game more accessible? After being disappointed by Enemy Unknown I tried to get into the old games, but found it too difficult to penetrate the interface. Would OpenXCOM help?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Qwo posted:

So what's the general consensus on OpenXCOM? Grognardy bugfixes, or substantive improvements that make the game more accessible? After being disappointed by Enemy Unknown I tried to get into the old games, but found it too difficult to penetrate the interface. Would OpenXCOM help?

It's made by a Goon! The thread dedicated to it seems to have slipped into the archive however. If the original UI is completely incomprehensible to you, then OpenXCOM probably isn't going to seem much better at this point however, though it might get modded into something more in line with modern sensibilities eventually.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is the Valkyrie achievement bugged or do I need to clear a specific kind of mission with an all-female squad?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Is the Valkyrie achievement bugged or do I need to clear a specific kind of mission with an all-female squad?

I've gotten the achievement. Did you make sure you brought all females and no SHIVs? I did have a 6 person squad though, maybe it won't work with 4?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Shumagorath posted:

it should be any kind of mission and I don't think it's bugged cause I got it just last week. Starting a classic campaign with 4 female soldiers made it pretty easy. :v:

I'd say try it again to make sure.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Do you have 6 women in your squad?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I know it works with one, I picked it up running the one soldier challenge, so it probably doesn't require a specific party size.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

ChronoReverse posted:

I've gotten the achievement. Did you make sure you brought all females and no SHIVs? I did have a 6 person squad though, maybe it won't work with 4?

It works with 4. I got it when the game rolled four female soldiers for the very first mission.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It worked for me on a shot down UFO.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ChronoReverse posted:

I had a 6-person squad with what I'm fairly certain are all women (one or two are kinda butch).

Doesn't matter; I just had three Chryssalids mob my squad leader (Psyker Colonel Support) into a corner on discovery and managed to kill them all with what I can only call surgical use of explosives. Not as cool as if he'd owned them all with CCS, but not a scratch on anyone.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Alternatively, you gently caress up and decide the best way to deal with 3 mutons hiding in a full cover truck is to dump a rocket on the 3 mutons, a rookie and a colonel assault, an alien grenade on 2 of the mutons, and a rapid fire on the final muton. Pfft, who cares, I had medkits. Who cares if that rookie would never make it on the psi testing anymore.

Also the rocketeer who started that out decided to panic after her shot and she freaking ran off into the corner out of guilt. She was nicknamed Mama Bear, and was a total badass until a couple of grave wounds forced her off the A-team :(.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Shumagorath posted:

I had a 6-person squad with what I'm fairly certain are all women (one or two are kinda butch).

Doesn't matter; I just had three Chryssalids mob my squad leader (Psyker Colonel Support) into a corner on discovery and managed to kill them all with what I can only call surgical use of explosives. Not as cool as if he'd owned them all with CCS, but not a scratch on anyone.

Did you use mind control at all during the mission? I just finished the one woman clear on a downed small scout and didn't get it. I had to mind control a muton to help me take out a mob at one point, and an elite to help me take down the ethereal. I noticed I had a fallen comrades debuff despite starting alone, the game is a little screwy when it comes to mind control I find.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Qwo posted:

All of the old school Xcom projects(OpenXcom, Xcom Ulti, UFO Extender), generally fix annoying things that long term players wanted fix, or under the hood bugs. Item limits, stats of characters shown in battle, load out saving before missions, ect. I'm not aware of any that update the interface.

Xcom: Two Sides added hotkeys and did an amazing graphical update which might help the look of the old interface but not really the feel to new players. Their goal was to make the entire game playable as aliens and xcom so the interface was not really improved, unless like I said, you mean the graphics. The project ended due to legal mumbo but the last fully functional version is here: http://ge.tt/api/1/files/5sJHE3g/0/blob?download

Really the best way to play/learn old Xcom is to just play a bunch, make mistakes due to the ancient interface, learn from it and ask questions.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Prison Warden posted:

Did you use mind control at all during the mission? I just finished the one woman clear on a downed small scout and didn't get it. I had to mind control a muton to help me take out a mob at one point, and an elite to help me take down the ethereal. I noticed I had a fallen comrades debuff despite starting alone, the game is a little screwy when it comes to mind control I find.

I wish there was a way to execute a mind-controlled alien. Nothing quite like him waking up after a protracted fight and critting your psychic heavy (he lived).

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Phobophilia posted:

I wish there was a way to execute a mind-controlled alien. Nothing quite like him waking up after a protracted fight and critting your psychic heavy (he lived).

Grenades. Not your own of course, that would be a waste. :v:

I also love using them as suicide troops, since the aliens will gladly gun them down if everyone else is harder to hit. Usually if they are the last enemy left I'll stick them in the open and put everyone else in as much cover as possible while overwatching. But yeah I wish you could target them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Prison Warden posted:

Nope, not sure what's happened as this is the second UFO raid I've done with women only. Not going to worry about it as I'll probably play this on Classic somewhere down the line. I/I is more stress than I need.

• Locked thread