Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I just want all the portable dungeon crawlers. Give me more first person, Wizardry/Dungeon Master style goodness and I will eat that business up.

Maybe I should pick up Soul Hackers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm consistently getting Streetpass stuff for Super Mario 3D Land but nothing shows up in Streetpass Mii Plaza. Any reason why this is happening?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm consistently getting Streetpass stuff for Super Mario 3D Land but nothing shows up in Streetpass Mii Plaza. Any reason why this is happening?

That person has Streetpass turned on for Super Mario 3D Land and not the Mii Plaza.

Edit: Or if this is all the time, maybe your Mii Plaza has Streetpass turned off?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That person has Streetpass turned on for Super Mario 3D Land and not the Mii Plaza.

Edit: Or if this is all the time, maybe your Mii Plaza has Streetpass turned off?

The first one is probably it I guess. I've gotten like 2 Mii Plaza guys and 4 or 5 Mario 3D Land levels. For all I know all the Mario ones are from the same guy and we ride the same bus or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rexroom posted:

Not necessarily. From what I've read, Nintendo requires developers to 1) have registered themselves as a company 2) sign a NDA (which is normal, I guess) and 3) have already released a game on some platform. The last requirement is just to cut off "I R GAEM DEVELOPR 2" newbies, so the people behind Legend of Grimrock could theoretically publish. Although: Grimrock takes it's influences from Dungeon Master rather than Wizardry, with DM having a sense of real-time immediacy with a fully interactive play area, compared to Wizardry's turn-based static game play. However I have reservations how anyone could combine the fully interactive game play with the 3D screen. Still, a Grimrock on the 3DS would certainly be an immediate purchase for me.

I'm very much aware of the difference between the two, I was just putting the esoteric nature (for the 3DS) of the genre into perspective. As far as porting goes though I'm not sure what you're worried about. There were actually a few clones for the GBA and pre-3DS that were fine. Mazes of Fate comes to mind. On the GBA it played pretty much as you'd expect by using the L/R buttons to crab walk, and bringing up a cursor to cycle through stuff to interact with for putting stones onto tiles and picking up treasures and searching. When they ported it to the DS they simply had the main action be on the bottom screen, with the top screen having all your map/data/detail art of what you're looking at/etc. You could still pause the game and use the touch screen if you wanted though, and they even had an option for real time movement to have it play like Deathkeep/Ultima Underworld if you wanted too which was pretty impressive as it didn't wreck the balance of the game at all. When doing that you'd just use the touch screen to look around/steer your character like in Dementium, Deep Labyrinth, Fighting Fantasy, etc.

I mean it just feels like a genre that would do well on a handheld with two screens for obvious reasons so it surprises me that there aren't more.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Is Liberation Maiden any good? It's on sale and looks fun. Seems very Kid Icarus-esque which can't be a bad thing. I'm a lefty though, so can I customize the controls?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Palmtree Panic posted:

Is Liberation Maiden any good? It's on sale and looks fun. Seems very Kid Icarus-esque which can't be a bad thing. I'm a lefty though, so can I customize the controls?

It's very lefty-unfriendly. :( No control customization.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Minidust posted:

Have there been any inklings of Doom/Doom II showing up on 3DS? I want the straight-up 1994 graphics (adapted for widescreen like in PC mods), but with a 3D effect. Controls would fine since you couldn't look up and down in those games anyway. They could even throw in a crazy VR/AR control mode where the left/right turning is gyro based.

Wow, now that I think of it, gyro-Doom on a portable 3D screen is awesome.:black101::getin: It'd be a surprisingly practical realization of some early-'90s Virtual Reality concepts.

When the DS was hacked a port of Doom was one of the first things out for homebrew. One can only hope 3DS flash carts eventually happen.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Palmtree Panic posted:

I thought it was great, but I had no need to change the controls.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How is Code of Princess? I noticed it finally hit EU stores (might have done so a while ago, I haven't looked at the eStore for a while).

Edit: Also, how is Hana Samurai? THe video look pretty good but I'd like to hear from goons who have played it what they think.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 8, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've been reading a bunch of Fire Emblem LPs to figure out what the hullabaloo is over FE:A. Now I want one. And a 3DS XL. And Kid Icarus. My wallet :smith:

One question before I drop the dollars though, is there anything else good out there for the system in terms of JRPGs? I really haven't kept up, and it's been a long time since I've even seen one.

also I want MH3U despite having it for the WiiU already, wtf is wrong with me

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Tales of the abyss, a bunch of smt games, rune factory 4 (out this summer). There's probably more stuff but this is what immediately springs to mind.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Eruonen posted:

How is Code of Princess? I noticed it finally hit EU stores (might have done so a while ago, I haven't looked at the eStore for a while).

Edit: Also, how is Hana Samurai? THe video look pretty good but I'd like to hear from goons who have played it what they think.

Code of Princess is a tough one. The game is technically not that great. I mean it LOOKS great but it runs very slowly, with lots of slowdown any time you're doing anything more than standing still. The story is stupid crap but it is a campy stupid crap. The story presentation will very much will scratch the nineties anime itch if you were a fan of stuff like The Slayers or Those who Hunt Elves. I wouldn't spend more than $20 on it though.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
So, tell me about the Nyko Power Grip. My biggest question is: do I need to pull off the back panel of the 3DS to use it, or what? I've heard plenty of praise for them, but I hate the idea of possibly losing a piece of my original 3DS in case something happens and I need to return it. Also, how bulky does it make the system? Too much to fit into a standard carrying case?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Got a used game today (Pinball Hall of Fame) and as far as I can tell there is no way to erase the save data. Can that be right? Is it even allowed? I've checked the erase methods in other games and nothing seems to work for this. At least GameStop's return policies are pretty easygoing :(

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

RebBrownies posted:

Is anyone here going to play Rune Factory 4?

This is from a couple pages back, but RF4 is the reason I'm buying a 3DS. Yes, I know that's pathetic, and I also don't care.

For content, how is SMT: Soul Hackers? I've wasted a stupid portion of my life on Devil Survivor 2, and enjoy it immensely. Does this mean I would also find Soul Hackers entertaining?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ciaphas posted:

One question before I drop the dollars though, is there anything else good out there for the system in terms of JRPGs? I

Soul Hackers, SMT IV, Etrian Odyssey, Project X Zone, Bravely Default, Pokemon, Unchained Blades

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Shoopuf posted:

So, tell me about the Nyko Power Grip. My biggest question is: do I need to pull off the back panel of the 3DS to use it, or what? I've heard plenty of praise for them, but I hate the idea of possibly losing a piece of my original 3DS in case something happens and I need to return it. Also, how bulky does it make the system? Too much to fit into a standard carrying case?

Its product page says it just clips on and you don't have to take anything off your 3DS.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well that's a pretty goodly number of JRPG game names. Guess I'm getting one this weekend. Thanks, folks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sonic 1 is coming to the eShop as a 3D classics title. It includes faux-CRT visual modes, optional spindashing, save-states and a choice of Mega Drive 1 or Mega Drive 2 sound emulation. That's.. a surprising amount of care.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

For content, how is SMT: Soul Hackers? I've wasted a stupid portion of my life on Devil Survivor 2, and enjoy it immensely. Does this mean I would also find Soul Hackers entertaining?

If you really, really liked DS2, you'll probably enjoy Soul Hackers.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sonic 1 is coming to the eShop as a 3D classics title. It includes faux-CRT visual modes, optional spindashing, save-states and a choice of Mega Drive 1 or Mega Drive 2 sound emulation. That's.. a surprising amount of care.

Wow, I might actually buy that...unless they make it like $10 over here.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

This is from a couple pages back, but RF4 is the reason I'm buying a 3DS. Yes, I know that's pathetic, and I also don't care.

It's a faithful and slightly buggy remake of a game from 1997 that was kind of old-school even for the time it was made; there are a few new features added in the 3DS version, but it still plays like a game from 20 years ago. I liked it, but I've got a pretty high tolerance for that sort of thing. You do unlock the ability to save anywhere fairly early on in the game, so you can at least avoid losing hours of progress to an unlucky ambush. If you don't mind dungeon crawlers, go for it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
poo poo 1993 was 20 years ago.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Has there been any word recently about the Dragon Quest 7 remake? I read something a while ago but have not heard anything new in a long time. Are there any reliable 3DS news sites you guys use regularly?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Geirskogul posted:

poo poo 1993 was 20 years ago.

The Super Mario. Bros movie will be twenty years old at the end of this month.

BadAstronaut posted:

Has there been any word recently about the Dragon Quest 7 remake? I read something a while ago but have not heard anything new in a long time. Are there any reliable 3DS news sites you guys use regularly?

There hasn't been any news about it coming stateside. If it does, I wouldn't expect it out until next year.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 8, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's.. a surprising amount of care.

Not for a M2 joint it ain't!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

There hasn't been any news about it coming stateside. If it does, I wouldn't expect it out until next year.

They'd be dumb not to. It has enough fans in Europe and the US to justify internationalising, right?
I love these games. And there's no talk of any Final Fantasy remakes or original titles coming to the 3DS, is there? A remake of 7 would be cool.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 8, 2013

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

I came into this thread to see if I should bother importing a US 3DSXL and that answered my question. $100 difference!

Time to become Tom Nook's bitch again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Not for a M2 joint it ain't!

Oh, right, they put some right proper care into the Game Gear VC games, didn't they. God bless M2.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Project X Zone, Bravely Default, Unchained Blades

He said good :I

I dunno if Bravely Default is good but I'm going to assume it's never coming out in English until the day it comes out. I played Unchained Blades on the PSP and it is not even worth mentioning really with all the other stuff available soon.

Personally on the 3DS I'm waiting to play:

SMT4
Devil Survivor 2 remake whenever it comes
Pokemon

Not really too interested in Soul Hackers after taking a closer look at it. I love Atlus RPGs but I don't have a high tolerance for the awkwardness of mid 90s JRPGs anymore.

Also need to play EO4 but I don't want to be burnt out by the time SMT rolls around in a couple of months.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I just got an XL and the top screen has rather visible horizontal lines that disappear when I turn 3D on. Now that I know what to look for, I think I can make out the same behavior in the regular unit (though it's much harder to notice, probably on account of the smaller screen).
Are those lines "normal," or did I get a lemon?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

He said good :I

I dunno if Bravely Default is good but I'm going to assume it's never coming out in English until the day it comes out. I played Unchained Blades on the PSP and it is not even worth mentioning really with all the other stuff available soon.

Bravely Default was confirmed as coming out in US and Europe at the last Direct.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's only announced for Japan so far though. God knows if it'll ever come out in any other regions.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

It's only announced for Japan so far though. God knows if it'll ever come out in any other regions.

It's Sega, they whore it out wherever they can.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

njsykora posted:

Bravely Default was confirmed as coming out in US and Europe at the last Direct.

2014 ;_;

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's Sega, they whore it out wherever they can.

Those of us who are still waiting for PSO2's English version to release would disagree :argh:

I thought they were stopping the 3D classics after they hit their pre-determined limit. I wonder what changed or if Nintendo is sticking to that while allowing other companies to release them if they want.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Nintendo just doesn't want to do more because it's a ton of work to basically recreate an entire game just to add a gimmick that, even if it's cool, didn't affect sales much beyond just selling a VC version would.

I'm sure they don't care if other companies want to do it at their own cost.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

2013 in Europe :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I haven't bought a new handheld since the Game Boy Colour and have been eyeing a 3DS XL, but mainly because I have an income and want to spend. I'm not really drawn to any particular killer app per se, but I'm interested in:

Luigi's Mansion 2
Super Mario 3D Land
NSMB2
Starfox 64 3D
Ocarina of Time
Mario Kart 7
Paper Mario Sticker Star
And some DS games like Phoenix Wright, Layton, Ghost Trick

Those games combined will cost way more than the system so I'm gonna have to go through a bit of a process of elimination. Totally forgot the 3DS could act as an MP3 player until today as well and I could get some use out of that.

Thread, encourage me to spend. Or not.

• Locked thread