Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Green means go
Red means stop

Minnesota is going to stop discriminating so gay people can go get married.

e: :argh: ninja edit

Sorry, I thought he was referring to the Republican's in the state losing the legislature being taken by (some crazy person) as evidence against gay marriage.

Unless you replied to me before I edited my post to include the quote, in which case this thread just moves too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The hall outside after the vote was announced:

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Zeroisanumber posted:

To the FReep thread!

NOM's blog will be better. It took them 2 days to post their disappointment on "redefining" marriage in Delaware.

Link is nomblog.com

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

RZApublican posted:

Sorry, I thought he was referring to the Republican's in the state losing the legislature being taken by (some crazy person) as evidence against gay marriage.

I meant the amendment that failed in November. He was saying that the fact that the majority wasn't bigger is evidence that Minnesota isn't ready for SSM. Pretty gutsy.

Amoxicilina
Oct 21, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

LOL "Metro focused". 90% of the state's population lives here and we pay for basically everything in outstate so...
Not to nitpick, but only 60% of the population lives in the cities, certainly not 90%.

With that said, I can say it truly is a great day to be a proud minnesotan. And to think we could've hosed it up with a constitutional ban last election. What's not to love about this state?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Amoxicilina posted:

Not to nitpick, but only 60% of the population lives in the cities, certainly not 90%.

With that said, I can say it truly is a great day to be a proud minnesotan. And to think we could've hosed it up with a constitutional ban last election. What's not to love about this state?

Sorry, counted Duluth and St.Cloud in that.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
McNamar voted Yes! I know he is just a nobody from a little district, but he's my guy!

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I'm so proud of my state. :unsmith: We rebounded so well.

We were the first state to beat a constitutional marriage amendment, and then we spin it around back in conservatives' faces in under a year. Fantastic.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Bullfrog posted:

We were the first state to beat a constitutional marriage amendment, and then we spin it around back in conservatives' faces in under a year. Fantastic.

That's the icing on the cake.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I wonder what my bi-weekly conversation with my father-in-law will be like this time around, hah. He's a Minnesotan and a true believer conservative, but not insane or in your face about it.

I have 0 idea if he'll even mention it or what he'll say about it if he does.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bullfrog posted:

Arizona voted down an amendment in 2006.

It was modified to only ban marriage and not civil unions and passed in 2008. :smith:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

3 countries legalize it in the span of 2 weeks, and now 3 states are about to do the same in the span of under a month.

I know we're barely 5 months into the year, but is it safe to call 2013 a loving great year?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

quote:

Rep Peggy Scott in tears after the vote. "My heart breaks for Minnesota," she said.

:unsmith:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Sweeney Tom posted:

3 countries legalize it in the span of 2 weeks, and now 3 states are about to do the same in the span of under a month.

I know we're barely 5 months into the year, but is it safe to call 2013 a loving great year?

Great. It'll be loving great if SCOTUS has a treat for the country.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Congratulations MN :glomp:

El Anansi
Jan 27, 2008

Looks like we're going to need this one again:

So proud of my state today.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Bullfrog posted:

Minnesota loving rules, what can I say :toot:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Sweeney Tom posted:

The last year with this much success was 2009.
Just imagine if marriage supporters actually showed up to vote in non-Presidential elections. :unsmith:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Minnesota Nice :smug:

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
Is there a list out of how the reps voted? I can about guess how my hometown rep voted but i'd like to see if he suprised me. And is the senate pretty much on lock to pass this?

Branis fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 9, 2013

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Branis posted:

Is there a list out of how the reps voted? I can about guess how my hometown rep voted but i'd like to see if he suprised me.

Here's a blurry screenshot:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

seal it with a kiss posted:

Here's a blurry screenshot:

It's not up yet, but if you want a text roll call it should be on the bill page soon.
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.php?b=House&f=HF1054&ssn=0&y=2013

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

MPR has a map up of the marriage amendment vote by house district vs the vote by that representative today, major props to the DFL for holding their caucus together.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2013/05/map_marriage_votes_compared/

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Rousing post-vote rally on right now streaming on https://www.theuptake.org!

Now we get to rub it in California's face, also we don't have to take as much crap from Iowa!

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 9, 2013

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

MPR has a map up of the marriage amendment vote by house district vs the vote by that representative today, major props to the DFL for holding their caucus together.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2013/05/map_marriage_votes_compared/

Check out north-east MN. I'm so proud to have been born and raised on the Iron Range. :3:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Listening to the replay on https://www.theuptake.org right now is so much more satisfying now that I know it passes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BeanBandit posted:

Check out north-east MN. I'm so proud to have been born and raised on the Iron Range. :3:

The only people Iron Rangers hate are scabs, big business Republicans, and the loving Green Bay Packers.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Does anyone have a link to the total of the MN debate today? I am trying to find it for a friend. I know TheUptake is replaying it right now, but I can't find a solid link for the whole debate to send them.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Does anyone have a link to the total of the MN debate today? I am trying to find it for a friend. I know TheUptake is replaying it right now, but I can't find a solid link for the whole debate to send them.
Video

If that isn't it, the whole thing will end up posted here.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Video

If that isn't it, the whole thing will end up posted here.

Both of these require me to install the Windows Media Player 11 Plugin, which when I try to install say "Server not found" :(.

Edit: I can make it work through forcing the link to open in Winamp, but I would prefer something simpler for linking to my friend. Just to, you know, be extra picky :shobon:

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 9, 2013

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Rousing post-vote rally on right now streaming on https://www.theuptake.org!

Now we get to rub it in California's face, also we don't have to take as much crap from Iowa!

Hurry the gently caress up SCOTUS, I (kinda sorta, MN did elect Al Franken) don't want my state to be behind loving Minnesota! :argh:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I was overhearing an argument at work between two friends on this today and it was mystifying to hear the conservative not hear the stupidity of her words.

"I'm married and we don't pay any less taxes."
"You can sign a release for someone to visit in the hospital."
"Guess I should get ready to marry a tree."

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Peggy Scott crying like a little baby "This isn't what we should be doing right now." I absolutely love this mealy mouthed GOP claim that this session was supposed to be about the Budget and nothing but the Budget. Well then maybe you shitheads shouldn't have spent your time last year fighting for an anti-gay marriage constitutional amendment! All you managed to do was get yourselves fired into the sun, create and fund a well-organized opposition organization, and create the very political atmosphere needed to propose and pass a bill to legalize gay marriage. The MNGOP is by far the most incompetent major state political organization I've ever heard of.

In short, we all need to thank the MNGOP for loving up so badly at constitutionally banning gay marriage that they actually got it legalized.

^^^ I didn't see that the Tree Marriage Bill also passed

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

Both of these require me to install the Windows Media Player 11 Plugin, which when I try to install say "Server not found" :(.

Edit: I can make it work through forcing the link to open in Winamp, but I would prefer something simpler for linking to my friend. Just to, you know, be extra picky :shobon:

I can't figure out how to link to it, but the 4th video on the Uptake is the debate and vote

http://www.theuptake.org/2013/05/09/mn-house-takes-historic-vote-on-same-sex-marriage/

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Tears

http://www.nomblog.com/35091

NOM posted:

"Minnesota voters should be outraged that they were sold a bill of goods by gay marriage activists last November." — Brian Brown, NOM president —

National Organization for Marriage

Washington, D.C. — Only six months after gay marriage activists promised Minnesotans that there was no threat to marriage in Minnesota, today's passage of a bill to redefine marriage reveals that proponents of last November's failed Marriage Protection Amendment were telling the truth all along.

"Minnesota voters should be outraged that they were sold a bill of goods by gay marriage activists last November," Brian Brown, President of the National Organization for Marriage, commented. "Our opponents filled the airwaves and spent millions claiming marriage was under no threat in Minnesota. And yet they lost no time in pushing for the redefinition of marriage as soon as our marriage protection amendment failed, despite new polling that shows a majority of Minnesotans oppose redefining marriage. We have long argued there is a very grave threat to marriage and today we witnessed our predictions sadly confirmed."

Brown continued: "The recent actions in Minnesota should serve as a wakeup call to other states that have not yet passed Marriage Protection Amendments: if you do not protect marriage proactively in your constitution, the powerful and wealthy gay marriage lobby will target your state for their next campaign to change your laws."

Brown added: "The new legislation in Minnesota will expose pro-marriage Minnesotans to additional legal action and harassment, as we have seen happen time and time again in other states that have redefined marriage."

Brown concluded: "The National Organization for Marriage commends all of the individuals and groups in Minnesota who have worked so hard for so long to protect marriage. This fight is not over. Minnesota will someday, once again, reflect the truth about marriage in its laws, of that we are confident."

Not too many comments from the anti side yet. Strangely, NOM does allow pro-equality supporters to post, although for some reason I was banned a while back.

This comment is precious, though. Is there no decency left in this world!?

CRSmith posted:

Posted May 9, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

FemEagle, I would like to hear more from you or NOM about what you are saying. It is so hard to get accurate information about this. Every time I turn around it seems like I hear there is another state accepting gay marriage. I can't believe that DECENT people continue to cater to the gays again and again on this. Won't the Supreme Court put a stop to this dirty business once and for all?

I appreciate hearing your thoughts. Some of the other people who post on here are just plain filthy with the things they write. It's not decent, and I just skip over it. Thank you.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

I can't figure out how to link to it, but the 4th video on the Uptake is the debate and vote

http://www.theuptake.org/2013/05/09/mn-house-takes-historic-vote-on-same-sex-marriage/

I messaged them about this and they said "We're working on that. Should have it up soon I think." Don't really understand why providing a direct link to a video already up on their website should take so long but oh well.

Edit: mined a link from their website, it is a little crude but here:
http://cdn.livestream.com/grid/LSPl...alse&mute=false

Actual debate starts about 6 minutes in.

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 10, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

In short, we all need to thank the MNGOP for loving up so badly at constitutionally banning gay marriage that they actually got it legalized.
Yeah this is really impressive.
Not only did they create backlash that helped them lose their majority, but the Amendment 1 campaign was basically a gift to Minnesotans United who raked in donors and volunteers to clobber the right.

e: The NOM outrage is fun because it's basically saying the voters of Minnesota are too stupid to know "Voting no will not change the law" doesn't mean the law can never change.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 10, 2013

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
I love how on NOM's frontpage they're calling for action in the 'marriage battles' in RI, IL, MN and DE. They're already lost in two of those states and are about to lose a third one. :allears: Also I'm kinda jealous of how quick the legislative process is in some US states. In Britain our Commons passed the Equal Marriage bill back in February. It's been tortuously winding its way through committee since then, they're voting on it again this month and then it's off to the loving House of Lords.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crameltonian posted:

I love how on NOM's frontpage they're calling for action in the 'marriage battles' in RI, IL, MN and DE. They're already lost in two of those states and are about to lose a third one. :allears: Also I'm kinda jealous of how quick the legislative process is in some US states. In Britain our Commons passed the Equal Marriage bill back in February. It's been tortuously winding its way through committee since then, they're voting on it again this month and then it's off to the loving House of Lords.

Things can be fast if they want to be, but normally they aren't, and if people really want to be devious they can let a bill die in committee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

What's the status of the legislation in Illinois?

• Locked thread