Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Cicero posted:

Interesting that this now puts them in direct competition with Blizzard, their former (?) partners.

The Blizzard thing seemed aimed at a much more casual audience though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

xgalaxy posted:

The Blizzard thing seemed aimed at a much more casual audience though.
Yeah, this one does seem a lot more complex in mechanics than Hearthstone. Still, it's a free-to-play online TCG with many of the same features, and they say they are targeting newbies in addition to hardcore TCG players.

Also I think it's funny that they mention that they made the WoW TCG seven times in the kickstarter, haha.

edit: Oh this one isn't on the iPad. That's actually a major point against it for me, I'm really looking forward to playing Hearthstone on the couch, in bed, on the plane, etc. eSports everywhere

Cicero fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 9, 2013

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
I'm not sure Road: Redemption is going to fail. They're at $122,000 with 69 hours to go. If they keep up the pace then they'll definitely reach the goal. I still hope they don't make it because nothing about the kickstarter or what they've shown gives me any confidence that they will do a good job at remaking Road Rash. Hopefully failing the kickstarter will cause them to step back and rethink what they need to do better.

I feel the same way about the 2 or 3 Master of Magic remakes that have shown up too. The people on the project might really like the game, but I've never been convinced that they really get what makes MoM great.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Occupation posted:

You like Strip Search? Like, seriously, unironically, like watching it? Sincere question: why? I've been hatewatching the gently caress out of it because it's so goddamn poor in literally every respect and I sorta internet know one of the contestants. But I wouldn't even argue that it's adequate, much less anything approaching good.

I mean, it's a show about finding THE NEXT BIG WEBCOMIC ARTIST that has barely any, you know, artistry. Not to mention the goddamn terrible camera work, braindead host, and the hosed-up pacing that makes everything drag on forever.

Yeah I like it. I mean I wouldn't say it's the best thing evar, it's pretty obvious that the docu format isn't the LRR crew's forte, and the challenges vary wildly in how interesting they are. But I like pretty much all the contestants, I'd say about half of them are pretty good artists and the others are all passible, and I've kinda got into the little community that's built up around it. Call it a guilty pleasure if you like :shrug:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well I've put money down on Stonehearth now. I really think the guys behind this seem to really have good ideas. The 2 hour mammoth building video really sold me on it.

I have to say this is the first kickstarter where I don't really give a crap about any of the stretch goals. I just want the base game I don't care about Co-Op and city raids. Just give me a deep city building sim/dwarf fortress that doesn't have a poo poo interface please.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Darkhold posted:

Well I've put money down on Stonehearth now. I really think the guys behind this seem to really have good ideas. The 2 hour mammoth building video really sold me on it.

I have to say this is the first kickstarter where I don't really give a crap about any of the stretch goals. I just want the base game I don't care about Co-Op and city raids. Just give me a deep city building sim/dwarf fortress that doesn't have a poo poo interface please.

For me I got sold the minute I saw the little guys in the demo video automatically constructing and deconstructing scaffolding as necessary -- and then heard the developer talk about how he needed to fix minor graphics glitches. For anyone who's spent whole weekends building tile by tile scaffolding for Dwarf Fortress constructs, that was huge, and it also said a lot about the dev's attention to detail.

I mean, I've waited for like three years for Toady to fix basic bugs with the military not wearing armor or using weapons. If this guy is concerned because of minor graphics issues, I'm sold.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 9, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think this is like the 4th shooty platformer with randomly generated levels that I've backed. I guess the Borderlandsy looking gun generation drew me in.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/843950213/moon-rift

Looks like he has a good chance of reaching his 6k goal, but it's definitely not a sure thing at this point.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I backed the Jagged Alliance kickstarter, but I think they've mismanaged it slightly. I think they could've been way ahead of their current total if they had been ready with some prototype footage, even if they had to touch it up to make it look like a functioning game. Also a $10-15 base for the game in digital, and then $25 for all the digital extras would've fared better, in my opinion.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This game took one look at Penny Arcade and said "hey that sounds pretty good, I'd love to keep all my crowdfunding money but I want to use Kickstarter because IndieGogo seems sketchy to people."

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 10, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Dammit :(

Come on, Energy Hook dude, you're better than this. That game with a bit of polish could easily hit a pretty big funding goal.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah... I hope this doesn't start a trend. I reported the guy, even if it doesn't strictly break any of the kickstarter rules, just because I want to make sure that they're aware of the sleaziness of this. I hope they crack down on projects that try to do this kind of thing, and require each project to actually request a realistic amount of money with a clearly stated goal for what that money achieves, rather than "give us money and i dunno, we'll do stuff with it I guess"

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This game took one look at Penny Arcade and said "hey that sounds pretty good, I'd love to keep all my crowdfunding money but I want to use Kickstarter because IndieGogo seems sketchy to people."

Jet Set Spiderman? I'd almost pay for that if there was more to it than just swinging around some buildings.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 10, 2013

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I hope this isn't the next trend on Kickstarter. I can understand the commitment to releasing the game regardless, but at least put down the amount to cover all the extra features you want to do. At best this looks like laziness in working out a proper budget; at worst a cash grab.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I know it would probably be hard to evenly enforce, but some sort of common-sense minimum goal based on the scope of content really ought to be a rule. Projects that are clearly violating the spirit of this should be kicked to the curb. There's a reason why Kickstarter isn't Indiegogo.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 10, 2013

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I suggest you guys click the "report Kickstarter" button at the bottom of that project page. Hopefully KS will address the problem.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
drat. I've been following Energy Hook for a while because the basic gameplay looked really fun. I'm really disappointed to see that it's being made as a sports game. In the indie scene that basically translates to "alright so we got the character moving, and we made some big, static, empty levels... LET'S CALL IT A WRAP GUYS".

I mean... sure, they could make it into a deep game with a lot of mechanics, but it sure as gently caress doesn't look like that's what they're doing.

Qwo posted:

I suggest you guys click the "report Kickstarter" button at the bottom of that project page. Hopefully KS will address the problem.
Done and done. This does violate Kickstarter's rules. Each Kickstarter campaign is meant to have a specific project goal that they can guarantee if they reach their funding goal. To put it simply: "X" won't happen unless we get funded. This project doesn't have that. Which means that there is no project. The way he's presented it, this isn't a Kickstarter for Energy Hook, it's a "fund my life" project. Those kind of campaigns are strictly prohibited.

Obviously the game will be better if he has funding, because he'll be able to work on it more, but he hasn't really articulated that very well. He needs to remake his project.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got my Barkley 2 kickstarter reward today:

Its pretty awesome! I need a pillow for it though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I would just frame it and put it above the fireplace.

:allears:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I am now instantly sad that I forgot to back that kickstarter.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Occupation posted:

You like Strip Search? Like, seriously, unironically, like watching it? Sincere question: why? I've been hatewatching the gently caress out of it because it's so goddamn poor in literally every respect and I sorta internet know one of the contestants. But I wouldn't even argue that it's adequate, much less anything approaching good.

You complain about bad kickstarters, but then do bizarre things like watch programs you actively dislike, I think you might suffer from a severe case of immediate Stockholm Syndrome.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

XboxPants posted:

Done and done. This does violate Kickstarter's rules. Each Kickstarter campaign is meant to have a specific project goal that they can guarantee if they reach their funding goal. To put it simply: "X" won't happen unless we get funded. This project doesn't have that. Which means that there is no project. The way he's presented it, this isn't a Kickstarter for Energy Hook, it's a "fund my life" project. Those kind of campaigns are strictly prohibited.

I agree with this completely and have done the same.
Also Kickstarter should make a minimum 50-100USD funding for new projects if anything to cover expenses incurred.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Energy Hook looks like a really fun game, but stuff like that doesn't generate goodwill at all. I think he's doing his project a disservice.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I imagine the feeling of receiving that is intense excitement followed by deep, deep shame. And then excitement again.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
Speaking of videogame-related things that are guaranteed to be funded

Kawaii Death posted:

Deadly Kawaii is about magical girls. Mostly Nimh. Nimh is a magical girl with a love of justice and a hate for monsters. Followed by her welsh corgi, Pops the Cacophonous, Nimh runs around the city fighting creepy ghouls and monsters in the name of truth, justice, and coffee. All in all, Deadly Kawaii is a side-scrolling PC/Mac game with a progressive story and colorful aesthetics. And lot's of awesome features! Such as:
  • At least 12 shiny levels!
  • 6 different transformations, each with their own different outfits!
  • Evil and sassy magical girl bosses to fight!
  • A welsh corgi as your companion!
  • Blood, violence, and cuteness!

Homestuck is good writing, right guys? If you give your 'characters' an occupation and a list of randomly-generated quirks based on old movies and celebrities, that counts as personality, right? Corgis are so random! ECKS DEE

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BTW, for those who don't know, Road Redemption made it with a little less than 48 hours to go:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darkseasgames/road-redemption

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

StevenM posted:

Speaking of videogame-related things that are guaranteed to be funded

Homestuck is good writing, right guys? If you give your 'characters' an occupation and a list of randomly-generated quirks based on old movies and celebrities, that counts as personality, right? Corgis are so random! ECKS DEE

Back at the $1000 PURPLE DISHWASHER level and get a full-sized chimpanzee statue made entirely of government cheeeeeese!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Overflight posted:

BTW, for those who don't know, Road Redemption made it with a little less than 48 hours to go:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darkseasgames/road-redemption

WOOHOO!

Keep pledging, so I have an excuse to buy an Occulus Rift.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Stomping Lands prototype looks incredible -- I would play that game right now, even as janky as it is. The developer doesn't come across like he has any real idea what to do with extra money, though. It could stand to have a project manager or some better in between stretch goals. I'm pretty sure it'll smash through 75k at the end, but with 100k gap before the next (not especially exciting) stretch I doubt they'll make a huge amount of extra headway. And the big goalpost is Oculus Rift support, which seems like sort of a joke at this point. Wouldn't it be a little wierd to play third person game with a VR headset anyway?

I guess it's better than promising the moon and the stars with every stretch goal and loading down with feature creep, but the lack of more discrete goals makes me a little nervous about the long-term vision for the project in general.

But, I mean. Team-based dinosaur surival? Me and a few friends are already thinking of running a server if that's a thing that needs to be done.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Everyone knows why you picked that pledge tier.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I really don't think I can handle how tsundre this pillow is.

This truly is the best kickstarter ever.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Only 5 days left on Bitcrobes kickstarter - and only about $200 from its goal!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1664072802/bitcrobes

I really have to thank SA for their support. Reddit gave me a lot of emails, questions, and "karma" - but SA actually put forth money and gave me some advice/tips.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Coldrice posted:

Only 5 days left on Bitcrobes kickstarter - and only about $200 from its goal!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1664072802/bitcrobes

I really have to thank SA for their support. Reddit gave me a lot of emails, questions, and "karma" - but SA actually put forth money and gave me some advice/tips.

Haha, this actually looks pretty cool. Would definitely play on a phone. The splicing minigame looks pretty neat, too. It's hard when you're pitching a free game, but I pledged anyway. :3:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
I am really sad The Realm isn't getting any love. The concept art looks absolutely lovely and their Gameplay Details video sounds great. I want to play this with my little bro but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. What can be done to help them out a bit?

Another project I want to see happen is Among the Sleep. Kicktraq shows it's trending towards the goal, but only just. This means one significant slump or surge in backing and it could go either way.

vvv
Yeah, that sounds awesome too. Oculus should work really well in tense/scary games.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 11, 2013

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

SaltyJesus posted:

Another project I want to see happen is Among the Sleep. Kicktraq shows it's trending towards the goal, but only just. This means one significant slump or surge in backing and it could go either way.

I'm really interested in Among the Sleep. They're including Oculus Rift support too and from the demo video of it in action, it looks pretty engrossing.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Stonehenge looks really cool, but are there any actual gameplay videos of it, preferably with UI? It looks like a real minecraft-alike, which is fine, but I can't imagine playing it as an RTS.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Stonehenge looks really cool, but are there any actual gameplay videos of it, preferably with UI? It looks like a real minecraft-alike, which is fine, but I can't imagine playing it as an RTS.
Do you mean Stonehearth? If so there's no UI yet. If you go to here and skip to about 2:00 you can see pretty pre-alpha footage of them gathering wood and building a house. He comments at some point that they only have one action key working right now. If you're patient there's a couple of 2+ hour videos of them building characters and talking about the game in general. Worthwhile if you're interested in that kind of thing.

It's closer to a DwarfFortress like than minecraft I'd say.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Expeditions: Conquistador has a new positive update after slipping past their first release date and worrying backers with poor communication. Things sound pretty good now: new release date is May 30th, they've been able to include missed stretch goals and extra features, and the game will have the multiplayer they talked about before.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

C-Wars only has 2 hours left, but managed to hit every stretch goal and just keep going

I'm happy for them, the game looks pretty drat interesting.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Darkhold posted:

Do you mean Stonehearth? If so there's no UI yet. If you go to here and skip to about 2:00 you can see pretty pre-alpha footage of them gathering wood and building a house. He comments at some point that they only have one action key working right now. If you're patient there's a couple of 2+ hour videos of them building characters and talking about the game in general. Worthwhile if you're interested in that kind of thing.

It's closer to a DwarfFortress like than minecraft I'd say.

Jeeze I can't even blame that on auto-correct, I just did a dumb.

So far I haven't found the game play part, but at 1:59:20 he goes on a whole tangent about how much lazy gender role stuff in character design is lovely, then tries to make a change in a better way, and then calls the normal lazy poo poo "border line offensive," and that got my pledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mightygerm posted:

Cryptozoic is kickstarting the (first?) digital MMO TCG, Hex:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game
How to play video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfOfGvkdzlI
So far they've got a number of MTG pros playtesting and endorsing the game, and the organized play support looks very interesting. The idea of PvE content in a TCG is interesting, but they've essential done it in paper with the WoW Raid Decks. I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

My biggest problem with this thing is how the F2P system will work. I don't want to be spending 2 dollars a pack to keep up with expansions. Pox Nora has 3 dollar packs, and keeping up with it can require a bigger investment than most people want to spend. All of their sets are like 70 cards with 10 cards per pack.