Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Rotten Cookies posted:

How many sports are interspersed with players engaging in fisticuffs? :colbert:

Every baseball fight is a bench-clearing brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Rotten Cookies posted:

How many sports are interspersed with players engaging in fisticuffs? :colbert:

The NHL should change the rules and award a power play to the team of the player who wins a fight. That, combined with the instigator penalty, would be great, and the arms race to sign guys like John Scott would be hilarious.

Also, you can't win on a takedown :colbert:

e: I say "combined with the instigator penalty" because it would at least make the instigator penalty serve an important purpose

Levitate fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 9, 2013

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I'm reasonably certain there aren't any other sports that measure severity of penalty based on the presence of blood.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Levitate posted:

The NHL should change the rules and award a power play to the team of the player who wins a fight. That, combined with the instigator penalty, would be great, and the arms race to sign guys like John Scott would be hilarious.

Also, you can't win on a takedown :colbert:

Would they call it the "Blades of Steel" rule?

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
May goons live forever!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I think I've got a sort of related question. I've seen some people talk about players having a "hot brain" after a concussion. What is that? I'm no medical expert, but it sounds like something to do with making things worse if they come back too soon after being concussed. That seems like the sort of thing a brain might do. Is that about right?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

McDragon posted:

Well, I think I've got a sort of related question. I've seen some people talk about players having a "hot brain" after a concussion. What is that? I'm no medical expert, but it sounds like something to do with making things worse if they come back too soon after being concussed. That seems like the sort of thing a brain might do. Is that about right?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-04-06/randy-carlyle-concussions-helmets-maple-leafs-leafs-joffrey-lupul-update

quote:

“I have a theory on concussions,” (Carlyle) said. “I think the reason there’s so much more of them obviously the impact and the size of the equipment and the size of the player — but there’s another factor: everyone wears helmets, and under your skull when you have a helmet on, there’s a heat issue.

Basically, Randy Carlyle is a goddamn idiot

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McDragon posted:

Well, I think I've got a sort of related question. I've seen some people talk about players having a "hot brain" after a concussion. What is that? I'm no medical expert, but it sounds like there's a risk of making things worse if they come back too soon after being concussed. Is that about right?

It's making fun of Randy Carlyle, who a few weeks ago said that he thinks helmets might be responsible for the rise in concussions because they trap heat in the head.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1595206-randy-carlyle-provides-bizarre-analysis-on-cause-of-concussions

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Welp, I feel stupid now. Thought it might be a silly way of referring to an actual thing. Oh well, at least I don't feel as stupid as he probably should.

Thanks for the explanation and links, you two.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

ThinkTank posted:

Beard length (or lack thereof) should exactly match your team's success.

I didn't want to say it before, but this explains a whole lot about Montreal's recent playoff success.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

McDragon posted:

Welp, I feel stupid now. Thought it might be a silly way of referring to an actual thing. Oh well, at least I don't feel as stupid as he probably should.

Thanks for the explanation and links, you two.

You shouldn't feel stupid. It's Dr. Randy Carlyle that should feel stupid... very, very stupid.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Tagra posted:

I'm reasonably certain there aren't any other sports that measure severity of penalty based on the presence of blood.

i'm surprised that there aren't players who blade themselves WWE style to try and get 4 minutes

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

i'm surprised that there aren't players who blade themselves WWE style to try and get 4 minutes

I wouldn't be surprised if some players bite the insides of their mouths, hoping to draw blood, after getting high sticked to try to show they were "injured" and get the extra 2 minutes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Levitate posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if some players bite the insides of their mouths, hoping to draw blood, after getting high sticked to try to show they were "injured" and get the extra 2 minutes

Rigged mouthgards with little pockets of water food colored to look like blood. Bite down on it, instant 4 minute PP. :haw:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The blackhawks took a delay of game minor for having 2 guys thrown out of the draw last night. First, Andrew shaw was thrown out, then viktor stalberg came into the circle too early. This thread is prophetic.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Lawnie posted:

The blackhawks took a delay of game minor for having 2 guys thrown out of the draw last night. First, Andrew shaw was thrown out, then viktor stalberg came into the circle too early. This thread is prophetic.

:aaaaa:

I need to make big updates to the OP. Sigh.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I updated the OP with the realignment, updated the stats part, made a few other minor tweaks.

Does anyone want to do a write up of what are dismissively called "fancystats"? I know there is a ton of stuff written and this thread can't (shouldn't) try to go into detail about all of it. But maybe corsi/fenwick/qualcomp and like...zone starts? Even just a basic description. Then we can link to a more in-depth resource.

It will have to go in the second post though because my long-winded rear end has nearly hit the 50k character limit in the OP :catstare:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I will throw together something very rudimentary tomorrow, if you'd like.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Sure, that'd be great!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

I wouldn't mind contributing some, either. Love me some fancystats.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Lawnie posted:

I wouldn't mind contributing some, either. Love me some fancystats.

If you have PMs, I'll write a small bit then send it to you, and you can do what you want with it.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Isn't it all pretty simple? Corsi is just shot attempts while on ice minus shot attempts against. So Corsi takes into account blocked and missed shots. Fenwick is Corsi, but it doesn't take into account shot blocks.

Qualcomp is essentially how much a players opponents play. The theory being that a better player will have more time, so the players that go against the players that play the most minutes will have a good Qualcomp.

You can also look at QoT which is quality of teammates.

I've never been a huge fan of ozone stats. I'm not sure how strongly it's correlated with winning. It's essentially how much you start your shifts in the ozone or Dzone. It only takes into account faceoff starts though,and not other starts when play is still ongoing.

You also have to look at zone starts relative to a players team, and not league wide. An example is Kadri. Has 50% ozone starts, which looks good, but then you realize that Toronto barely ever has possession and starts a lot more in the Dzone. Kadri actually is fourth highest for ozone starts for the Leafs, where someone on a strong Puck possession team with a 50% would not be as sheltered.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

I've never been a huge fan of ozone stats. I'm not sure how strongly it's correlated with winning. It's essentially how much you start your shifts in the ozone or Dzone. It only takes into account faceoff starts though,and not other starts when play is still ongoing.

You also have to look at zone starts relative to a players team, and not league wide. An example is Kadri. Has 50% ozone starts, which looks good, but then you realize that Toronto barely ever has possession and starts a lot more in the Dzone. Kadri actually is fourth highest for ozone starts for the Leafs, where someone on a strong Puck possession team with a 50% would not be as sheltered.

Comparing zone starts across a team may show the intent of the coach, but that would not change the relative effect of them. So, while Kadri (47.8%) may get relatively sheltered minutes compared to the rest of the team, and Gregory Campbell (47.7%) may get relatively difficult minutes compared to the rest of the team, zone-wise their minutes are of equivalent difficulty. That the Leafs are a garbage possession team does not somehow make Kadri's team 'easier.' In fact, if anything, it would make them harder since he would face a greater number of his zone starts against the other team's top defensive players if the other team's coach uses zone matching rather than line matching.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

So is there a limit to the amount of teams you can root for based on familial/relationship ties?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

So is there a limit to the amount of teams you can root for based on familial/relationship ties?

Yes.

Two.

If you root for more than that you have to register your affiliation at http://www.nhl.com/member.htm?season=2013&fanType=2

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Eastern Conference and Western Conference and that's it. :colbert:

Any more and you're Pungry.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I've got two in the west and one in the east, and I don't think that's too much.

Rooting for two teams in one division can be seen as a little odd, but with the bigger divisions next year I bet it'll become more common.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
root for one, sneer at the others

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

DOOMocrat posted:

I've got two in the west and one in the east, and I don't think that's too much.

Rooting for two teams in one division can be seen as a little odd, but with the bigger divisions next year I bet it'll become more common.

Pungry parachute account spotted.

:rimshot:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I have a favorite East team (Boston) and a West team (Minnesota). There are teams I will half-heartedly cheer for just because I like a few players on the team, but I wouldn't call myself a fan of them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

canuckanese posted:

a favorite East team (Boston) and a West team (Minnesota)

A man after my own heart :)

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

canuckanese posted:

I have a favorite East team (Boston) and a West team (Minnesota). There are teams I will half-heartedly cheer for just because I like a few players on the team, but I wouldn't call myself a fan of them.

This is exactly the correct way to do it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DOOMocrat posted:

I don't really cheer for any team that's not the Rangers. Even West teams are just potential roadblocks to the Stanley Cup :colbert:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Isles, Rangers, Columbus since they became Rangers West, and I like seeing the Canadiens do well since I like HAS and they have some awesome guys on their team. I don't know if I'd count myself as a real fan of Columbus or Montreal, but I watch as many of their games as I can, and unless they are up against NY, I root for them.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You can root for more than two teams, but they have to be lovely and not have a tradition of past success. No one's going to give you any static for being a Panthers fan.

Other than...y'know...rooting for a team from Florida.

/Avs fan :negative:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
If you have more than one favorite team you are a slut :colbert:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I have Local (Tampa), Family (Rangers), and significant other's family (Leafs and Habs).

Local takes priority, then what?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

edit: wrong thread lol

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ZenVulgarity posted:

I have Local (Tampa), Family (Rangers), and significant other's family (Leafs and Habs).

Whoever you need to keep happy the most. Depending on the relationship, that could be either or.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Uh...your SO's familly goes for Leafs and Habs?

:psyduck:

You should just piss everyone in both families off and root for the Bruins.

• Locked thread