Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
So I'm curious to try out the Dragon Quest Series having never really played it before. I know there's been a 3DS game released in Japan but no word on a US release that I could find. Should I wait for that as my first entry into the series or is there a DS release that I should really go back and check out as a primer for the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Slightly tempted to upgrade to an XL, then trade my original 3DS in for a WiiU.

I'd keep it around so I can download play with a friend/family member sometime, lend it to someone if they wanted to play a 3DS game, or for trading between Pokémon X+Y when they're out. It'd make a good birthday gift or something too.
I imagine it'd be worth more to me just by being there than the pitiful amount I'd get for trading in.

E:
VVV I have 120 hours in DQIX and haven't done a single one of the free DLC they brought out for it. There were something like 120 bonus quests in the game (of which I did around 70 or so, if I recall correctly) and they brought about the same number out as DLC too. DQIX has stupid amounts of content and I imagine you can still get all the DLC they released too.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 10, 2013

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Spigs posted:

So I'm curious to try out the Dragon Quest Series having never really played it before. I know there's been a 3DS game released in Japan but no word on a US release that I could find. Should I wait for that as my first entry into the series or is there a DS release that I should really go back and check out as a primer for the series?

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinel of the Starry Skies, the first game made specifically for DS, is a pretty drat good game. I'm about 25 hours into it and I feel like I've hardly made a dent in all the content stuffed into this little cart.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Soul Glo posted:

As previously mentioned, don't do this. You'll get, like, $30 in trade credit (at least in GameStop, which is pretty much a good indicator of what you would get at other stores). But the XL is preferred by lots of people. I currently have both and feel like they're about even when you compare all aspects of it.

Even selling it to another person, you MIGHT get $100? Not exactly gonna make a dent in the cost of a Wii U.

Unless you have a limited edition version that someone is willing to pay big money for, or something.
I think places here give more credit than that when you're trading in consoles...

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spigs posted:

Dragon Quest V is quite possibly the greatest RPG ever made so if you want to play something, that'd be a good one.

Finding a copy can sometimes suck though. Price keeps going up.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

irlZaphod posted:

I think places here give more credit than that when you're trading in consoles...

Hey, if you can get it, go for it-- it's your cash. Just don't get your hopes up that you can get a significant amount towards a brand new console is all.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Soul Glo posted:

Hey, if you can get it, go for it-- it's your cash. Just don't get your hopes up that you can get a significant amount towards a brand new console is all.
Yeah, unless you truly need the money immediatly then you're way better off just listing a console on Amazon or something. You can almost always lowball every other seller and still get more than GameStop would have given you. Of course you'll have to pack and ship your item so this takes a little extra patience, but it pays off. Years ago I got like $80 selling my blue fatty DS.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is the Theatrhythm (god what a stupid name) demo wholly representative of the retail game? The demo's amusing, even if I could barely beat expert on Man with the Machine Gun or whatever, but it seems a fairly limited game.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Spigs posted:

Dragon Quest IX is really, really good, as people have mentioned. I'm pretty sure the 3DS game will eventually come out over here, but in the meantime you should at least play IX, and maybe Rocket Slime Adventures because that game was really fun.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Is the Theatrhythm (god what a stupid name) demo wholly representative of the retail game? The demo's amusing, even if I could barely beat expert on Man with the Machine Gun or whatever, but it seems a fairly limited game.
The full game has a bunch of stuff to obsess over and sperg out about. The RPG mechanics are more pronounced, there are like 2 dozen characters to level up, and you can really get crazy thinking about skill loadouts and things. In the Chaos Shrine mode you play progressively more difficult randomly generated playlists to grind for exp, loot, and trading cards. Also, every single loving thing you do is tracked and graded, from playtime to character levels to chocobos ridden, and there's an assload of achievements that work off of those stats. Theatrhythm is kind of whatever you want it to be, whether you want to get SSS ranks and full clear all the songs or just want to poke at things and watch numbers go up.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Minidust posted:

Yeah, unless you truly need the money immediatly then you're way better off just listing a console on Amazon or something. You can almost always lowball every other seller and still get more than GameStop would have given you. Of course you'll have to pack and ship your item so this takes a little extra patience, but it pays off. Years ago I got like $80 selling my blue fatty DS.

"Years ago" isn't specific enough to be very helpful...

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I got $100 trade in for my launch 3DS at gamestop months ago thanks to a promotion. I doubt this is possible now, but whether trading in at GS is worth it really depends.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Spigs posted:

Dragon Quest VII is goddamned amazing, but it's also (the original at least) an incredibly dense game that can be pretty daunting for anyone unfamiliar with the series or RPGs. I'd say the ideal places to start would be the DQ4-5 remakes on the DS and DQ8 on the PS2. There's IX as well but that's a pretty different beast compared to the rest of the series so it might leave a false impression about the series.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I personally think Dragon Quest IV is the perfect place to start. It's not my favorite in the series (III is), but it's a fantastic game that's got pretty low difficulty, is separated into a bunch of smaller chapters with clearly defined goals and constantly changing casts of characters, and requires pretty much no grinding. The format really lends itself to being a game anyone new to Dragon Quest can get into without being overwhelmed. Plus at the end everything converges into a more typical DQ experience with a big overworld and lots of sidequests that you'll now be ready to take on.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I feel like I've missed something important and simple but I'm in a mild illness-induced haze. What the hell is SpotPass, how is it different from StreetPass? And what's the difference between the two, especially with respect to sending in Swapnote?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sorry if I missed this in the OP:

Are games downloaded on the e-shop about the same price as they are for a physical copy? I'm sure Amazon is $37.49 while the e-shop is $39.99, but is it normally close?

I was thinking it'd be better to not have to carry around all the little games while traveling, is there some downside I don't know about?

edit: Found an eshop price list, but any downsides to going all download?

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 11, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spotpass is basically free DLC that is automatically downloaded. in FE13's case, it has characters from past FEs (with no real dialogue and stock art from their original games, but still), six new maps that you can play just before the final chapter, and some free items.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They trade for $60 right now. You'll still get more elsewhere of course. Trade values fluctuate. They were $80 when I traded mine in a couple months ago for the XL.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Chemmy posted:

If you lose your system, then you've pretty much lost your game and will have to re-buy unless you can prove to Nintendo that your system was stolen or destroyed or something like that. You also don't get a box and cartridge so you can't really display it (although this might be a plus for some), and you can't resell your digital games.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Chemmy posted:

Sorry if I missed this in the OP:

Are games downloaded on the e-shop about the same price as they are for a physical copy? I'm sure Amazon is $37.49 while the e-shop is $39.99, but is it normally close?

I was thinking it'd be better to not have to carry around all the little games while traveling, is there some downside I don't know about?

Not all games are on the eShop. All of Nintendo's games from last August and later will be on it, and most Nintendo games from earlier are, but Kid Icarus is not. It's up to other publishers whether they want to sell games that way or not.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ciaphas posted:

I feel like I've missed something important and simple but I'm in a mild illness-induced haze. What the hell is SpotPass, how is it different from StreetPass? And what's the difference between the two, especially with respect to sending in Swapnote?

SpotPass is stuff that activates when you pass by a wifi hotspot, of course you can get it at home if you have wifi. StreetPass is stuff that activates when you pass by another player with a 3DS. It is stuff like Miis on the Mii Plaza or in the case of Fire Emblem the other player's team appears on your map to challenge.

As far as SwapNote I think you have to have someone on your friends list to send them a note, and that it doesn't really use SpotPass OR StreetPass. I don't know, I don't really use it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ciaphas posted:

Streetpass activates when you pass by another 3DS searching for streetpasses. Spotpass activates when you pass a wifi network the system can connect to (either because it's unprotected or because you have set it up for the network). Spotpass essentially means "via the internet" in this case, while streetpass is for sending notes between two nearby consoles.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Also keep in mind that in Swapnote specifically, Streetpass only works with people on your friends list so you can't sent pictures of your junk to strangers. Everywhere else it's just whoever has the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

absolutely anything posted:

you can't sent pictures of your junk to strangers

Awwww. :saddowns:

Thanks for the explanations. Picked up Theatrhythm on the way back. It's nice hearing all this music again, it's kind of been a long time for some of it. Rose-tinted eardrums :unsmith:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The guy lives in Europe, people. Your GameStop trade-in rules do not apply to him.

I doubt GAME or whatever will be much better, but still.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Game will beat any trade-in price by £1 if you can provide proof, and CEX right now offer a £70 trade-in price for an unboxed regular 3DS.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does having wifi on in sleep mode drain the battery all that much more compared to having the wifi off or is it pretty minimal? XL, if that matters.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Does having wifi on in sleep mode drain the battery all that much more compared to having the wifi off or is it pretty minimal? XL, if that matters.

It makes a difference, but unless you're going a significant amount of time without being able to charge it, it's probably not a huge one.

You could also disable streetpass, but leave wifi on. That way you're still connected and routinely lookin for updates and swapnotes and etc, but not constantly sending out a signal. I don't do this myself, so I'm not sure how easy it is to switch it off and back on again, but there's little to no reason to have streetpass running while you're at home unless you've got another gamer in the house.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

Awwww. :saddowns:

Thanks for the explanations. Picked up Theatrhythm on the way back. It's nice hearing all this music again, it's kind of been a long time for some of it. Rose-tinted eardrums :unsmith:

The only bad thing about Theatrhythm is a few classic tracks are DLC (The boss fight music from Final Fantasy VII is a notable one). The DLC tracks will cost you $1.50 each, incidentally (the option to buy them online isn't unlocked until after you've done a few levels, if I recall correctly). Aside from that though, it's a very solid little game and quite fun.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Travis343 posted:

As far as SwapNote I think you have to have someone on your friends list to send them a note, and that it doesn't really use SpotPass OR StreetPass. I don't know, I don't really use it.

When you send a note it literally says "send via streetpass or spotpass?" and the send via streetpass option is almost completely useless and I'm not 100% sure of why it exists especially since you have to be friends with someone for the streetpass to work.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug
Took the plunge and got an XL because I can't resist another Animal Crossing! I'm in the EU and want to cash in on the buy-3-get-1-free thing, so I got Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem but I'm really ambivalent about all the others in the promotion - Castlevania, Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong, LEGO and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Are any of those really standouts above the rest, or should I just hold out and see if I can swipe someone generous giving their promo code away?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

PxiePip posted:

Took the plunge and got an XL because I can't resist another Animal Crossing! I'm in the EU and want to cash in on the buy-3-get-1-free thing, so I got Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem but I'm really ambivalent about all the others in the promotion - Castlevania, Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong, LEGO and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Are any of those really standouts above the rest, or should I just hold out and see if I can swipe someone generous giving their promo code away?

It depends what you like, people seem to really like Luigi's Mansion; I'm having a blast with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon but it's not as well received. I recommend it if you like pokemon and roguelike.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PxiePip posted:

I haven't played the 3DS version of Lego but if it's anything like the Wii U version it's worthwhile. It's also cheaper. Luigi's Mansion is excellent with awesome graphics and Zelda-like puzzles. It is slow moving though, so it depends on whether you want a slow methodical somewhat linear game or an open world action game with lego cars. Those are the two I think would be most recommended by goon consensus.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

PxiePip posted:

Luigi and Donkey Kong are the obvious ones; as far as "someone generous" goes, the codes go for 10-15€ on eBay so I wouldn't bet on it. However, you could get Animal Crossing normally and use that code to complete your set of three and then get one of the ones you're on the fence about. If you're like me though, you want AC digitally so I recommend getting something with a high resell value (Luigi's Mansion is your best bet), using the code and if you end up not liking it, you should be able to resell it for a minimal loss. Here in Germany the going price for new and used copies of it is 39€ and ~34€ respectively. Donkey Kong aside, the other three games seem like bargain bin fodder within a few months.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

It depends what you like, people seem to really like Luigi's Mansion; I'm having a blast with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon but it's not as well received. I recommend it if you like pokemon and roguelike.

It's for swapping notes with someone physically close to you. Even if you're on a wifi network at the time, it's faster to send notes this way. As with a lot of the 3DS's features, it makes more sense in Japan where social gaming takes place in person more often than over the internet. It's also good for children and teenagers, I'd imagine, swapping notes on the bus or in class, where there's not likely to be a wifi connection to use.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

It's for swapping notes with someone physically close to you. Even if you're on a wifi network at the time, it's faster to send notes this way. As with a lot of the 3DS's features, it makes more sense in Japan where social gaming takes place in person more often than over the internet. It's also good for children and teenagers, I'd imagine, swapping notes on the bus or in class, where there's not likely to be a wifi connection to use.

It's just so oddly indirect and kinda slow from what I hear. Yet in some bizarre way it makes sense in 2013 we'd use some elaborate mechanism to chat yet not have an ad hoc wireless mode.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

PxiePip posted:

Maybe I read this wrong (I can't read), but it seems to me like you want to find a third game so you can get Animal Crossing for free (and digitally). Why not buy Animal Crossing as the third game - digital games count towards to promo so long as you'ved linked your eshop and Club Nintendo account -, and buy whatever interests you the most.

If it helps you any, Castlevania didn't jive well with most goons on account of, if I remember correctly, framerate issues and trying too hard to be a 2.5D God of War.
Luigi mans is a lovingly crafted game with a lot of charm and a fun little multiplayer, but 3/4 through the single player I put it down because I thought it was getting kind of tedious. A typical mission looks like this: Enter room, vaccuum everything, shine your darklight on everything, see what shakes out, vaccuum it up.Go to next room. And yet there seems to be something to it, because I recently picked it up to finish it.

e: f,b. Good point about the resell value, too.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Has anyone played either Rune Factory 4 or Fantasy Life? I've got a Japanese 3DS LL with a little less than 6000 yen on the e-shop to burn and am looking for something to mess around with until Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Monster Hunter 4 come out this summer. Both of them look somewhat interesting (the first looks a little anime though) but I don't know anything about either of them.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

PxiePip posted:

Out of those, Luigi is the most acclaimed by far. A lot of people like PMD as well, but as a huge fan of both Pokemon and roguelikes, I feel like it doesn't scratch either itch particularly well. Castlevania is pure crap, and the Lego game is the least likely to retain value as a trade-in or resell.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Has anyone played either Rune Factory 4 or Fantasy Life? I've got a Japanese 3DS LL with a little less than 6000 yen on the e-shop to burn and am looking for something to mess around with until Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Monster Hunter 4 come out this summer. Both of them look somewhat interesting (the first looks a little anime though) but I don't know anything about either of them.

I don't know anything about Fantasy Life, but the Rune Factory series is pretty cool. It's a spinoff of Harvest Moon (I don't know if they still advertise it that way, so people might not realize that), which means all of that gameplay is pretty much intact - you have a farm and you grow crops and raise animals and date anime girls/boys. The key difference is that you also pick up a sword and go dungeon crawling for cash, items, spells, and tools. Also, your farm animals are all captured monsters instead of traditional animals.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Is that weird tabletop style JRPG on the eShop any good? And is it five bucks on sale good?

Edit: Crimson Shroud, that's the one.

• Locked thread