Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

TheHawkeyedOne posted:

Better question: How can she BE a Super *HIGH SCHOOL* Level Nurse? Nurses need degrees. As in College. So... she really shouldn't be a Nurse if she's still in High School. Maybe Super High School Level First Aid, but not Nurse... Just my opinion.
Guys, it's a game. There's really no need to dig deep into this. In the Dangan Ronpa world high schoolers can become qualified nurses, neurologists, gamble before age 21 and so on. If it were a plot point it would have hopefully been elaborated in the first game, but since it wasn't I think it's safe to say this is just a thing that happens in the wacky universe the game takes place in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

In monoworld you don't need ANY qualifications to perform a job, so obviously high schoolers can do them better than average. Like let's be honest.. who was really exceptional at their SHSL skill in a measurable way? SHSL is a lie.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Indecisive posted:

In monoworld you don't need ANY qualifications to perform a job, so obviously high schoolers can do them better than average. Like let's be honest.. who was really exceptional at their SHSL skill in a measurable way? SHSL is a lie.

Need I remind you how well Leon can throw a baseball? He got it through a chain link fence, and hit a button. He didn't even use a standard baseball. He's not just SHSL, he has plot backing him up. That's the most powerful force in existence!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Falls Down Stairs posted:

...actually, speaking of Kirakira-chan, the "-chan" suggests it's a smaller person.

It suggests a cutesy nickname for a serial killer and not much else. It's as reliable an indication of their stature as Tiny as a name for a big burly thug.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
B-but my animes need to be as realistic as possible so I don't have any inconsistencies in my fan theories! YOU'RE MESSING WITH MY MOJO, VIDEO GAME WRITERS!

Bean posted:

This is something that I keep wondering: when I was in high school, I was totally a Super High School Level bass player, but even my dumb 14 year old rear end knew I didn't have poo poo on a pro. Some of the specialties like 'mechanic' make sense, they're technical and based on knowledge, but 'dancer' or 'cook' take years and years to get right.

The term "child prodigy" doesn't mean a whole lot to you, does it?

CaptainJingles
Apr 29, 2013

Indecisive posted:

Maizono was 15 and was already the leader of an extremely popular pop group, Celes had made billions of yen in gambling, Mondo was the leader of the most feared gang in the country, Sakura never lost a match, and Chihiro loving wrote the world's first learning AI.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CaptainJingles posted:

Maizono was 15 and was already the leader of an extremely popular pop group

This actually happens in Japan, though. A lot.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Consider also Justin Bieber and The Jackson 5. Young people as nationally (or even internationally) popular music stars really isn't that strange.

e: And surely being younger is an advantage when it comes to not losing matches :v:

LordLyndis
May 7, 2013
It's nice to see another parallel from DR with Nidai and Owari being reminiscent of Sakura and Asahina but still having their own unique quirks to the relationship.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I almost think we need some reference explanation to point to for what "Super High School Level" means. It is not [Super] [[High School] Level], i.e. an extreme level for a high school student. It's the result of a not quite-translatable pun, which I think orenronen explained in the DR1 thread. It's more like 'Super High Level' mixed with 'High School'. So they're in high school, but their talents are (supposed to be) ridiculously advanced by anyone's standards, not just for high school students.

Oddly enough my sister actually teaches a 'nursing internship' program at her high school (in the US). Students learn more advanced subjects and get closer contact with nurses and nursing schools. That doesn't mean they still don't have to continue to college and then get a nursing degree too to practice medicine.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

CaptainJingles posted:

Maizono was 15 and was already the leader of an extremely popular pop group, Celes had made billions of yen in gambling, Mondo was the leader of the most feared gang in the country, Sakura never lost a match, and Chihiro loving wrote the world's first learning AI.

None of those are demonstrably real accomplishments, it's all memory and their memories have been rewritten by Plot. You're just drinking the Mono-Kool-Aid! It's the year 30XX and this is the Truman show of their time, any time now the curtains will drop and Aliens Did It All.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Waffleman_ posted:

This actually happens in Japan, though. A lot.

Yeah, I view her acceptance into the school as mainly a publicity thing

CaptainJingles
Apr 29, 2013

Indecisive posted:

None of those are demonstrably real accomplishments

Chihiro wrote Alter Ego in the middle of the game.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I find it incredibly amusing that this game has gotten so much mileage out of the "Ibuki points to the right" sprite.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

kidcoelacanth posted:

I find it incredibly amusing that this game has gotten so much mileage out of the "Ibuki points to the right" sprite.

I know, I love it, too. Heck, all of Ibuki's sprites are just fantastic.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

The sprites in general are a lot more emotive and fun next to Dangan Ronpa 1's, with exception to Fukawa who was always fantastic. Things that were funny and new in DR1 (like Ishimaru's POSSESSED BY MONDO transformation, Sakura when she gets super saiyan, etc) are the norm in this game.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

CaptainJingles posted:

Genocider Syo killed hundreds of people without ever being implicated as a suspect, and Fukawa got an entire nation obsessed with gay fisherman romance.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I distinctly recall someone a while ago made a wonderful cake of the disembodied head of Monomi, which got the idea in my head to produce a partner cake to that and make one of Monobear himself.

(Photo taken with lovely iPhone camera, my apologies.)

Looking back at it, the Monomi cake looks a lot better than this, I'm pleased with this result regardless.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

These two are amazing. :allears:

I hope they both survive so we get to see the rematch later in the game. And the inevitable tag-team match against Mono-Rambo. :black101:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I bet that shower isn't broken. It's most likely where they're keeping Komeda, and now I'm pretty sure Monomi is in on it as well. That trash can is also suspicious.

Personally, I'm doubting whether Nagito is still in captivity. His talent is SHSL Luck, after all. We don't know if whatever restraints he had been placed in were 'mysteriously' released, allowing him to escape. Even if he's been under constant surveillance and Souda's the one currently keeping watch, he'll have the perfect chance to escape once Nanami finishes gathering everyone at the ruins. Perhaps the inevitable finger-pointing over who let Nagito free may end up being the trigger for the second murder?

That said, I'm wondering who else was in on the plot to kidnap Komaeda, other than Souda and Nidai. I doubt the shower room is sound-proofed, so if Nagito is still in there he might be unconscious. I can totally see them calling Mikan in to sedate him every once in a while or something.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

orenronen posted:

If we need a guard, there's someone with the perfect physique for it! Iiiiiiiit’s that person!

This one was the best :allears:

Like, she COULD just say "Nidai." But why would we have her do that, we have a sprite of her pointing to the right, we paid someone to draw it, and it'd be downright criminal to let that poo poo go to waste.

I'm looking forward to many, many things happening just offscreen to Ibuki's right over the course of this game.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Of the characters that I like and badly want to survive to the end(Mahiru, Nidai, Gundam, Ibuki) , Ibuki's the one I would be saddest to see go, if only for all of her wonderfully bizarre quirks and meta jokes. Or rather, orenronen and Fedule's translations of her jokes. :allears:

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
It's possible that Nagito is already dead. If Monobear is following the same rules as last game, we need at least three people to discover a corpse, no? So if Nidai and Souda murder Nagito and bury the corpse...

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Alien Arcana posted:

It's possible that Nagito is already dead. If Monobear is following the same rules as last game, we need at least three people to discover a corpse, no? So if Nidai and Souda murder Nagito and bury the corpse...

Impossible! Burying corpses is clearly littering, and in monobear land, littering is punishable by death. :v:

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

I keep thinking that, if this were animated, she would be doing it like Revolver Ocelot :ocelot:.

Son Conan fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 12, 2013

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Brass Key posted:

Impossible! Burying corpses is clearly littering, and in monobear land, littering is punishable by death. :v:

It's not littering if you're trying to grow a corpse tree.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kangra posted:

I almost think we need some reference explanation to point to for what "Super High School Level" means. It is not [Super] [[High School] Level], i.e. an extreme level for a high school student. It's the result of a not quite-translatable pun, which I think orenronen explained in the DR1 thread. It's more like 'Super High Level' mixed with 'High School'. So they're in high school, but their talents are (supposed to be) ridiculously advanced by anyone's standards, not just for high school students.
Orenronen stated in the first thread that you can basically consider an SHSL talent a superpower. SHSL Programmer used a crappy laptop and coded a working AI? Sure, because their superpower is Being Good At Programming.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Zereth posted:

Orenronen stated in the first thread that you can basically consider an SHSL talent a superpower. SHSL Programmer used a crappy laptop and coded a working AI? Sure, because their superpower is Being Good At Programming.

Puts an interesting tone on Hagakure's talent. He's not awesome at fortune-telling; he's awesome at making money on it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Puts an interesting tone on Hagakure's talent. He's not awesome at fortune-telling; he's awesome at making money on it.

considering that most fortune tellers are considered frauds a 1 in 5 chance is pretty good.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Actually, Hagakure was pretty awesome at it. 100% accuracy 20% of the time? That's still really impressive.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

Actually, Hagakure was pretty awesome at it. 100% accuracy 20% of the time? That's still really impressive.

If anything, he's super bad at making money at it, since he could play the lottery for a month after that then retire to a life of luxury.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

If anything, he's super bad at making money at it, since he could play the lottery for a month after that then retire to a life of luxury.

Not neccesarily. Just because his readings are always right 20% of the time, doesn't mean he can choose what the readings are.
Also, he does make a lot of money. He's just also in a lot of debt.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

ibukipointingright.jpg

Gosh, Ibuki didn't really make a strong impression with me at first but she's been so consistently awesome. Everything that comes out of her mouth is gold. :allears:

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Gensuki posted:

always right 20% of the time

Every time this gets brought up, it makes me think of the Sex Panther scene from Anchorman.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

sweetguts posted:

ibukipointingright.jpg

Gosh, Ibuki didn't really make a strong impression with me at first but she's been so consistently awesome. Everything that comes out of her mouth is gold. :allears:

That's so cute. :3: Ibuki has really nice sprites and I'd be sad to see her go. However, I do think she will go. She doesn't really have much going for her backstory-wise, however funny her meta jokes are.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Suzuki Method posted:

That's so cute. :3: Ibuki has really nice sprites and I'd be sad to see her go. However, I do think she will go. She doesn't really have much going for her backstory-wise, however funny her meta jokes are.

Hagakure had nothing but jokes going for him and he survived till the end. She could be the surviving comic relief character.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Suzuki Method posted:

She doesn't really have much going for her backstory-wise
Right now, maybe. Which is exactly the reason I don't think she's going to get killed anytime soon. Gotta make her death matter first.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SingerOfW posted:

Right now, maybe. Which is exactly the reason I don't think she's going to get killed anytime soon. Gotta make her death matter first.

As if they couldn't just tack on her backstory right before she's executed, or right after she's murdered.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

As if they couldn't just tack on her backstory right before she's executed, or right after she's murdered.

We did get basically all of the Chef's backstory right before he got off'd for maximum impact.

Actually I wonder what his free time events would have been like.

Gadvac
Feb 18, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

We did get basically all of the Chef's backstory right before he got off'd for maximum impact.
To be fair, if they had tried to spread it out over Chapter 1 it would've been obvious and, considering he's not exactly the kind of person to spill out his life story, kind of odd.

TheHawkeyedOne posted:

Better question: How can she BE a Super *HIGH SCHOOL* Level Nurse? Nurses need degrees. As in College. So... she really shouldn't be a Nurse if she's still in High School. Maybe Super High School Level First Aid, but not Nurse... Just my opinion.
I'd say it's reasonable enough to use "nurse" as a shorter way of saying she's great at first aid. You can tell someone they're a great nurse even if they aren't technically an actual nurse.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Can we get a compilation of every time it's happened so far, or at least keep a running tally? That'd be great.

sweetguts posted:

ibukipointingright.jpg

I love you. (And Ibuki.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Justus posted:

Every time this gets brought up, it makes me think of the Sex Panther scene from Anchorman.

Yeah, someone brought that up back when it first came up and it motivated me to my current title.

• Locked thread