Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleeptides
Jul 7, 2006
Director: David O. Russell
Staring: Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DeNiro

Understandably this got advertised as a romantic comedy and most people assume it is, but I don't think it really fits in that category. It manages to deal with mental illness without getting offensive or sappy. There is definitely some comedy in this movie but, like in a black comedy, it's left up to the viewer to decide where that line is. Bradley Cooper was really good; surprising given the roles he's played in the past. Jennifer Lawrence also did a great job; her character spikes from one emotional extreme to another and she plays it believably. The plot is not revolutionary but it's the performances and the script that really make this a great film. 4/5.

sleeptides fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
This was definitely one of the most depressing movies I saw this year. The performances were terrific but it was a hard movie to get through, especially for the first thirty minutes.

2/5

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not generally into this genre of movie, and the description of it actually turned me off.

That being said it was one of the best movies I have seen in a long, long time. The acting is all around A+, it makes you laugh, it makes you happy, it makes you sad.

I feel like it is one of those movies where even if it isn't "fun" to watch per se, you will still take something out of it.

5/5

Blind Lemon
Dec 4, 2003

Let me squeeze your lemons, motherbitch!
I myself think that SLP misadvertises itself; where it generally purports to be an empowering romantic comedy that relates to real-life issues, it is a cliché'd romantic comedy full stop. The mental issues treated serve as little more than window-dressing to two seriously attractive people courting eachother. The message, "nobody's perfect", rings hollow when mental, social and emotional issues alike serve as little more than contrivances to keep the action going. From Indian doctors to Constanza-like annoying parents, from shameless financial speculation to gambling addiction, everything gets the same kooky, unobjectionable treatment.

Which is why the movie fails on an artistic level, there is no real excitement or drama when the dice are so obviously loaded. Which consequently is why the movie fails on a moral level: that everybody "wins" for "not being perfect" is perfectly fine among the level playing field of its white bread audience; not so for those suffering the issues themselves (racist violence, sexual assault, institutionalization of the mentally ill), that the movie only purports to address, for middle-class kicks.

Cooper, Lawrence and DeNiro really work the crooked material they're given, however, earning the movie another star.

2/5

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I think I liked this movie so much because the character Brad Cooper played reminded me a lot of myself, and Robert Deniro's character reminded me a lot of my dad. I don't really know what else to say about it, I thought everyone did a great job at their parts, and if you're kind of hosed up you might like this movie too. 5/5

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
The actors were good, but I have to echo the comments above...this was like Analyze This crammed together with Save the Last Dance. JL even looks a bit like Julia Stiles. They could have removed his entire family from that movie and made it a better piece where the two main characters actually talk more about their issues. What the hell was with the garbage bag track suit? Cause he's wearing that thing for like +70% of the movie...

I watched the trailer and I thought it was going to be a good movie, but I found myself shaking my head through most of it...there were a few good scenes so I won't say it's a complete waste but not really any good either.

2/5

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I thought this was a hilarious romantic comedy, which was not even supposed to be accurate or realistically portray the covered issues. Good acting, interesting scenes, lighting & color. I wish they made more light-hearted movies like this.

4/5

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I really didn't find any of the jokes funny. The only part I even thought about laughing was when Tiffany got mad at Pat's gambling father and schooled him on how the Eagles did better when Pat was with her instead of his dad. The main character was very unlikeable and played the part of a love struck idiot right up until the last five minutes of the movie when he finally made the right choice. I don't say this often, but I regret watching this movie.

1/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Really good movie. Best romantic comedy since Crazy Stupid Love. Perfect for watching with your better half. All the characters are well written, even the romantic plot is not groan-worthy. Take note that the humor is really subtle here, no cheap guffaws at all. It's even better if you consider that the main theme of the movie are various mental illnesses/disorders and yet it succeeds in being lighthearted and uplifting. Cooper/Lawrence pairing is really good and not cheap at all since the viewers are treated to good (and again, subtle) character development. I watched the movie expecting it to be silly and forgettable but came out pleasantly surprised.
Also it features De Niro in his best role in, I don't know, 10 years? And who knew Cooper could actually act?

5/5