Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Warcabbit posted:

a Kurdish state carved out of Syria? (Yes, I know, never happen, but if I were Erdogan, I'd certainly be promising it in return for aid, if I were aiming at Syria.)

On the one hand, Turkey's the biggest supporter of semiautonomous Iraqi Kurdistan (on the condition they don't support the PKK too much). On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure they want to keep setting that precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
At this rate, both Iraq and Syria are going to be carved up into enclaves, this definitely solves the issue of a Kurdish homeland for Erdogan, and Turkey gets to retain its territorial integrity in the process.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Warcabbit posted:

So. Let's say Erdogan starts a war. We've got, then, a couple players. Turkey. The Kurds. Assad. The Islamist rebels, and the anti-Assad rebels. Plus Hezbollah, Iran, and Israel as minor partners.

The FSA-types may not be thrilled with Turkey, but would they work with Erdogan? Would the Kurds, in return for some quid-pro-quo, some kind of promise of a Kurdish state carved out of Syria? (Yes, I know, never happen, but if I were Erdogan, I'd certainly be promising it in return for aid, if I were aiming at Syria.) The Islamists would aim at Turkey, of course, but what else would happen?

I'm sure someone will come along to tell me how stupid I'm being and how nothing will change, but that's how I learn.

Edit: The only reason I can see this as happening is that Russia and the US have seen the Libya/Egypt results, and maybe they'd want to strongly suggest something different this time.

To answer what you want to know, there are two distinct sects of Kurds in northern Syria. The PYD and the KNC. Kurds under Assad were basically unacknowledged by the Assad regime. As such, being able to represent themselves in government is a huge upgrade for them, and this is what the KNC wants. The PYD are basically the PKK, and want autonomy. Both wings have some support, but in my opinion, the withdrawal of the PKK from Turkey, combined with how proactive the coalition have been in trying to include Syrian Kurds, combined with how Kurds in northern Iraq are really living pretty drat well, is going to result in autonomy not being a hot button issue for regional Kurds, or Syrian Kurds. The Syrian Coalition, and the KNC on behalf of Syrian Kurds already meet regularly with Turkey, so yes, they are already working together. I could see Turkey doing its biggest artillery strikes that it's done since the conflict began if it is PROVED that the regime is directly responsible for the bombings, but in the grand scheme of things thus far, it wouldn't really be a huge development. Nothing to see here, really. But don't discount Saudi Arabia and Qatar's role in the conflict, as it's much more substantial than even Russia's or the US.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
I'm not saying he bombed his own citizens, I don't buy into these Watchmen / V for Vendetta style conspiracy theories. But Internally we've been dealing with a lot of crap, we have the PKK, IBDA-C (some islamist terror group) not to mention a whole bunch of syrians in the area who may be for or against Esad, we have turkish nationalists, we can even go a streth and find more to blame... what I meant to say is the conclusion was way to fast and convenient and the way it was handled was very very suspicious.

If it does turn out they bombed their own people one day, that's messed up, but pretty much everyone in the Hatay region right now is strongly protesting against the government and the general feel of the atmosphere is very tense.

But hey! Galatasaray and Fenerbahce just had a cracking first half of football, so all that doesn't matter really.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

McDowell posted:

Decades of border conflicts, ethnic strife, and economic uncertainty coming to a head in a region where the major international players have diplomatic entanglements (Russia's support of Assad; American diplomatic obligations to Israel, Turkey, and Arab states, China's general ascendance). With the UN powerless, it seems like things can only continue to escalate and bring the major powers into conflict (not they want this because of the aforementioned MAD, but they have to support their regional interests or look like a bad ally)

You admitted there are dozen of similar cases throughout the world and history. I want to hear specifically what about this situation makes you think it's going in the same direction as the 20th century Balkan peninsula, because I feel these circumstances are incomparable for as many reasons as they are similar. Like there are transnational terrorist groups operating in both cases but unlike in the 19th century Balkan peninsula today they have no prospect of actually changing international borders, it's just not internationally acceptable today. While there are international entanglements, only Turkey has treaty obligations with major powers, meaning powers like Russia and China could step backing from any escalation without violating any preexisting agreements. Also what border conflicts did you think were relevant? Israeli occupation of the Golan Heights? Turkish control of Hatay? The 2nd Balkan War? because the analogy just doesn't work for me.

McDowell posted:

On another note it seems like we need a Turkish Alex Jones.

This is the LAST thing you need. Please stop listening the irl insane people, you might start sounding reasonable.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

loving Paypal just closed my account I was using for Indiegogo, so I've lost all the money I've raised, I'm loving furious.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
that sucks man... why would they do that?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Azmodaii posted:

It's pretty normal for PayPal. They're extremely corrupt and always find new ways to gently caress people over and make it impossible to make things right.

Sorry to hear that BM. I suggest hitting PP hard with a response. Don't be nice about it and play dumb like most people, take it straight to them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Squalid posted:

You admitted there are dozen of similar cases throughout the world and history. I want to hear specifically what about this situation makes you think it's going in the same direction as the 20th century Balkan peninsula, because I feel these circumstances are incomparable for as many reasons as they are similar. Like there are transnational terrorist groups operating in both cases but unlike in the 19th century Balkan peninsula today they have no prospect of actually changing international borders, it's just not internationally acceptable today. While there are international entanglements, only Turkey has treaty obligations with major powers, meaning powers like Russia and China could step backing from any escalation without violating any preexisting agreements. Also what border conflicts did you think were relevant? Israeli occupation of the Golan Heights? Turkish control of Hatay? The 2nd Balkan War? because the analogy just doesn't work for me.

This is the LAST thing you need. Please stop listening the irl insane people, you might start sounding reasonable.

Bro have you ever even read the hunt for red October?

They take the money if they close your account??? How is that legal?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Double post

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Warcabbit posted:

So. Let's say Erdogan starts a war. We've got, then, a couple players. Turkey. The Kurds. Assad. The Islamist rebels, and the anti-Assad rebels. Plus Hezbollah, Iran, and Israel as minor partners.

What is it with you and war-eroticfiction

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22499326 posted:

All nine of those arrested in connection with the attacks were Turkish citizens, officials said.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

McDowell posted:

On another note it seems like we need a Turkish Alex Jones.

You should learn Turkish, you seem to foot the bill quite nicely.

BM, I thought you'd discussed the who account thing with PayPal, or was that not the case?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Azmodaii posted:

"Security reasons". I received a £1000 donation this morning, then Paypal decided this was suspicious and asked me to verify details. I did it, then about 2 hours ago I get an email saying my account is closed for "security reason." I now have to wait 180 days for the money in the account, about £4000, which was meant to pay for my living expenses over that period. I also had a major interview in Spiegal Online which linked to my Indiegogo, so I've lost any donations that might have raised.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This is surely the first time that goons have had problems with PayPal? oh wait

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The annoying thing is Indiegogo requires people outside the US to use Paypal, so I had to use it. I'm so angry right now.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rust Martialis posted:

You should learn Turkish, you seem to foot the bill quite nicely.

The Alex Jones line was a joke. I hate that guy and his Kremlin-approved agitation.

I'd get in touch with Lowtax, BM, as someone already pointed out the Katrina incident.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Well I've blogged about it here, and made sure all my journalist friends have seen it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Brown Moses posted:

loving Paypal just closed my account I was using for Indiegogo, so I've lost all the money I've raised, I'm loving furious.

Don't worry I'm sure they'll consider not deleting any emails you sent them in after they've sat on them for 6 months or so. :v:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It helps I've got people like this on my side.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

"Security reasons". I received a £1000 donation this morning, then Paypal decided this was suspicious and asked me to verify details. I did it, then about 2 hours ago I get an email saying my account is closed for "security reason." I now have to wait 180 days for the money in the account, about £4000, which was meant to pay for my living expenses over that period. I also had a major interview in Spiegal Online which linked to my Indiegogo, so I've lost any donations that might have raised.

It's probably because you are getting donated to by a bunch of people with Arabic names, and paypal does their OFAC and such by cubicle farms where people are paid poo poo, don't care, and corporate doesn't care either because their bottom line isn't hurt. Or, just a lot of international donations can trigger security reviews and paypal has a very "close first ask questions never appeals go in the bucket" thought process on security reviews.

My guess though is that your donator got shut down due to OFAC triggers + incompetence, and then another department goes "WHOA LOOK AT THIS SHUT DOWN ACCOUNT TRYING TO DONATE TO THIS GUY" and there goes your account.

Paypal has traditionally changed their mind most rapidly from media pressure. Regretsy, a super popular blog, had a paypal issue (and was possibly actually in the wrong) and they still got a lot of what they wanted by pressuring Paypal through their blog.

http://www.regretsy.com/2011/12/07/paypal-update/

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 12, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of horrible situations, here's a member of the Syrian opposition I've managed to get a name for cutting flesh off a corpse and eating it.

[edit] And on a more pleasant note here's an interview with me (in German) with Spiegel Online, which is getting me a poo poo load of referrals.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 12, 2013

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Speaking of horrible situations, here's a member of the Syrian opposition I've managed to get a name for cutting flesh off a corpse and eating it.

Jesus. That is...yeah. That's the sort of thing we'd dismiss as ludicrous propaganda if we didn't have film of it. What next? Babies on bayonets?

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Brown Moses posted:

[edit] And on a more pleasant note here's an interview with me (in German) with Spiegel Online, which is getting me a poo poo load of referrals.

:catstare:

How many rules of Islam does that break?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Not quite the Middle East but the tragedy continues in Pakistan. Nawaz Sharif seems to be the selected individual to come into power again with what I'm sure is a lot of chicanery. Sad. That country's going to continue to suffer.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Not sure there were any good candidates in that election.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

Not sure there were any good candidates in that election.

Wasn't there a huge spate of assassinations by the Pakistani Taliban against secular/moderate candidates?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
What's the deal with Imran Khan anyway. The last I heard he was dismissed as insignificant, but now he's all in there. What now?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Well this is a positive thing

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, you ARE working with MI6. Did you really just say jump and have the President of motherfucking PayPal ask how high?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Also vice president of global communications Christina Smedley.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

GreenCard78 posted:

:catstare:

How many rules of Islam does that break?

One can eat the flesh of the dead in Islam so long as there is no other food around.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Brown Moses posted:

:stare:

You've got serious weight to throw around to get answers like that.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Twee as gently caress posted:

:stare:

You've got serious weight to throw around to get answers like that.

I always knew BM was with the NWO.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

We're sending you back to autumn 2005!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Svartvit posted:

What's the deal with Imran Khan anyway. The last I heard he was dismissed as insignificant, but now he's all in there. What now?

Imran Khan had a lot of hype. He's a former major cricket player/champion so he's sort of a celebrity politician. He also scored high on a lot of polls. How honest and whatnot is he? Who knows until he gets in there. But I think a lot of people had the thought he'd be along the type of Obama in the sense of bringing hope to a brighter future for the country and trying to oppose and stem the corruption and evil poo poo. There's a godzillia metric poo poo-ton of corruption and evil in the Pakistani government and so having someone new is thought to be a benefit, especially since he in the messages seems to be addressing those issues. Pakistani politicians being famous for having their families live outside the country in Dubai or Europe and and making it rain like billionaires with houses basically the equal of the Palace of Versailles while the people in their country starve, are illiterate, etc. The parties in power in the recent years are basically working together eating the country alive.

Noahdraron
Jun 1, 2011

God Loves Ugly

Brown Moses posted:

I was just about to post this. I'm too tired to do a translation at the moment, but it's a really good and insightful article which gives you a lot of praise, so congrats.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
BM posted this just before the bombing in Turkey, and I hadn't had a chance to really analyze it, but this is extremely significant. Al Jazeera's interview with Moaz al-Khatib, the resigning leader of the Coalition. Tons of insight into geopolitical stances and issues, both regional and with the west. Obviously, he also touches on a lot involving the obstacles facing Syria and the Coalition. The interviewer was really good, but she didn't ask if he thought that the coalition was too far gone and doomed to require replacement, or if it could overcome Saudi and Qatari influence. On the one hand, he states that there is still a movement within the coalition to oppose them and that he will still help them, but on the other, he said that he can help the Syrian people more from outside the Coalition. I still have no idea if it will collapse or not.

I think the biggest thing was his suggestion that for the coalition to function, it needs to have not one single leader, but an executive authority so as to not divide the people. He mentions that as part of that, 5 people needed to step down to less important roles, one of whom is George Sabra. Sabra has been appointed to take over Khatib's position, so it would appear that Saudi Arabia and Qatar are blatantly enhancing their role in the Coalition. That doesn't bode well for the future, if the collapse of the Council upon being successfully co-opted by the Muslim Brotherhood is anything to go by.

Anyway, here's the YouTube video of it. Mandatory watching if you are intent on making any claims about Syrian politics or regional stances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ2ysFsC9Z

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

The-Mole posted:

One can eat the flesh of the dead in Islam so long as there is no other food around.

Not having read the Qu'ran or most of either testaments, I'm surprised that's the case.

Gonna stick with :catstare:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreenCard78 posted:

Not having read the Qu'ran or most of either testaments, I'm surprised that's the case.

It's the same provision as pork, basically "hey normally this stuff is forbidden but if you're in the middle of the desert with only bacon then yeah eat it to survive and make up for it later".

Although I don't think human flesh is what was in mind when that particular exception was made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GreenCard78 posted:

It makes perfect sense though.

• Locked thread