Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I'm toying with the idea of reactivating again. Unfortunately I think I'd only be able to play during the daytime, but I guess that would be euro hours. Kinda feel like getting a few more RRs on my druid and cleric.

The state of RvR has kind of been commented on recently, but I'm curious if anyone actually goes to the lab anymore, or if that's just a horrible cesspool of stealth zergs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006
calling all forest friends for a game of touch tail
unless you play during the dead of night (3-5am) US time, laby is usually full of groups. you'll find stealth groups roaming the hub and then 8 mans porting around wherever they see spam to wipe whatever is there. hibs especially seem to be drawn to laby since they've got vamps, although all the realms zerg there.

it can be really quick RP though, especially if you are a cleric / rej friar with all the ports. always see people in our alliance wanting healers for lab 8 mans.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

The Labyrinth is still very popular. You can usually find Hibs and Mids in particular down there, especially when Albs are zerging all over the Frontier. Prime time will have 30-40 Hibs in the Laby - 2 full groups running separately and a number of stealthers and smallmans. The tight corridor layout makes fights more interesting and discourages zergs on the level that you'd see in the Frontier.

Once in a while, one realm will field enough people in the Labyrinth to "sweep" it, just for kicks. Mids did this for a while, sending 3 full groups through the Labyrinth to all of the mythirian farming spots and just wiping out everyone. It's pretty rare now. Outside of those situations, though, it's a fairly even playing field.

You will run into stealther groups from time to time, but if you're in a full group of visibles, most stealthers will leave you alone. Stealthers generally go after smallmans or stragglers in the Crossroads. There's also an underground dueler network that meets in the Labyrinth, if you wander around and see a dead end full of people from different realms.

Good druids are hard to come by. If you have any trouble finding a group as a druid in Hib, you're a bad druid.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Found a bunch of my Molvik mans. I have a Blademaster, Warden, and Ranger.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
welp, more or less got my account setup again. Ran around a bit this afternoon on alb with some euro players I used to play with on Alb/Kay way back when. Seemed like there was actually a pretty decent rvr population from every realm.

Is anyone else playing alb or hib during euro primetime? ~2-5PM EST?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I do. Serpus ingame on Alb.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

angry muppet posted:

welp, more or less got my account setup again. Ran around a bit this afternoon on alb with some euro players I used to play with on Alb/Kay way back when. Seemed like there was actually a pretty decent rvr population from every realm.

Is anyone else playing alb or hib during euro primetime? ~2-5PM EST?

I'm on Gnusong most nights in alb.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"
The realm hoppers seem to have come to Hib, so if you want to level up a Hib character, now's the time!

arroze
Sep 23, 2010

right, so don't enter?

DaftAero posted:

ToA and a pie to the face needs to happen asap. Let me give you my ToA story, the only one I can remember since it consumed me, the rest I have forgotten.

For those that don't know three things must be accomplished for every artifact in DAoC. You need to beat the encounter and get credit, pray the artifact drops for said encounter boss, and farm 3 scrolls specific to the artifact itself. Once you do all that, you get the artifact at level 1 and then have to level it up through various means specific to the artifact. DAoC has no instancing, so you were also competing against your realm mates for the spawns.

There was an artifact called the Gem of Lost Memories. Once powered up it basically allowed you to break mezz, which in today's mmos every class gets as some form of ability or trinket, so pretty much a must for a melee class.

The encounter itself is trivial, the mob, Night Terror, spawning is sheer luck and determination. It can only spawns between midnight and 4am game time and has some astronomical low chance and couldn't have been defeated the previous day cycle.

So my buddy was camping this for days and I'd drop by occasionally to keep him company, he eventually gets it after 5 real days or so. On a whim I went there after the next day cycle in game and lo and behold he was there, I was extremely happy, my luck is never this good in mmos. I tease him in guild that Night Terror is back and how it took me a whole 5 seconds of camping to get him. Well guess what, I got no encounter credit for whatever reason but I did get the artifact.

As any mmo player can attest I appealed this to a GM immediately. I was the only one on the island he spawns, so it wasn't possible anybody could have tagged him or shady dealings. Surely they could look at logs or something and see I killed this mob. Nope. Sorry we don't give encounter credit, wait for him to spawn again, kill it again and see if it assigns you the credit the next time.

I had to poopsock that island for 7 real days before it spawned again. I turned my speakers up full blast, so it would wake me up if he spawned. I two manned this with my other buddy who also needed the Gem. One of us was always awake or at the keyboard, it was necessary as harpies spawn on the island and occasionally path into aggro radius or where Night Terror spawned. We both got credit and he got the artifact. Then we had to farm the drat scrolls.

Sounds about right.

I'll add my experience of ToA, which is probably quite a common one. I witnessed what others were going through, heard stories, nightmares, saw LONG lines every stupid underwater quest....

I gave up part way in telling myself, "I don't need this crap! I'm going to keep RvR'ing the old fashioned way!".

It wasn't more than a month later that those who suffered through the Trials of Atlantis were dully rewarded with tangible item/skill advantages over their peers. You either did ToA or you had no place in the Frontier. The game fell to pieces shortly thereafter.

I wonder though.... how long could DAoC have really gone on if not for ToA? It seems every game with large scale PvP has it's breaking moment.

*edit*

On a positive note, i'm playing again! Albion - Pacific Time.... going to create a few characters, see what I like.

Also looking forward to Camelot Unchained.

arroze fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 25, 2013

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?
I just got my account back after going through hoops with Mythic.

Let me know if anyone wants to small man/8v8, I have hero/skald/sorc/friar/sav etc.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Well done, it also took me about a full week and tons of questions before I got mine back.
Kindof annoying I did not remember all of my character names, and original email no longer being active. And back then I didn't have a CC so our gamestore owner had a CC for that. (long before gamecards even existed)

No.Mercy
Oct 4, 2011
On a related note, does anyone here play or have any interest in playing Uthgard Classic DAoC server?

I recently started playing about a week ago on Midgard realm, as a skald, me and my friend are about level 10.

I've played on and off, and I know the grind is really bad but, that's what makes it hardcore :hist101:

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?

No.Mercy posted:

On a related note, does anyone here play or have any interest in playing Uthgard Classic DAoC server?

I recently started playing about a week ago on Midgard realm, as a skald, me and my friend are about level 10.

I've played on and off, and I know the grind is really bad but, that's what makes it hardcore :hist101:

If you are playing U.S Primetime, you will run into no action passed 7PM EST. We rolled there and found nothing at night so we rolled on Ywain.

Just a heads up.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Ywain has seen some influx of bittervets, in the slipstream of the CU kickstarter.

No.Mercy
Oct 4, 2011
Yeah I realize this, but when I'm looking for pvp, I'll start logging in during EU primetime. I don't see why this server has hardly any NA players. Seems like everyone is like, the NA population sucks, so I quit, and that's why everyone quit. Why does classic EQ have more players then classic DAoC? I don't get it.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

No.Mercy posted:

Yeah I realize this, but when I'm looking for pvp, I'll start logging in during EU primetime. I don't see why this server has hardly any NA players. Seems like everyone is like, the NA population sucks, so I quit, and that's why everyone quit. Why does classic EQ have more players then classic DAoC? I don't get it.

Other than the NA population being abysmal, I think it's mostly because the vast majority of NA players are concentrated on Alb side.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Your head smells like a puppy.

No.Mercy posted:

I was there on Mid Uth for quite a while, six months or so. From my experience (and the Euro guys who were in our alliance who had been there for years) its incredibly rare that any US guilds actually get passed rr5. Keeping ~10 players actively interested, actively practicing RvR, sticking with it... its unlikely for a game where most of us played it when we were in high school or college and now have things we need to do 10 years later. As much as I'd like to dump on some of the really veteran, established European players and guilds there for generally not providing any sort of atmosphere that makes NA players/new players want to spend time on Uthgard, well, some of their RvR groups are really very skilled. They'd likely win anyhow, even if it wasn't stacked in their favor already (with gear, rr8-9 groups, ect).

And that server basically replaced ToA with that really awful player designed raid zone, which is equally as bad as ToA ever was and if you can't raid it, well, you're behind on gear. It can take hours to do a raid and you can't pause it in the middle and pick it up again later, so if you can't have your rear in a chair for 4 hours straight (and pray to whatever you pray to that the other 7 people do as well)... welp.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

Other than the NA population being abysmal, I think it's mostly because the vast majority of NA players are concentrated on Alb side.

Alb is the hard road there, also, given that the classes that are favored so highly by the ruleset they use are Hib (see: rangers). It also doesn't help that relics really, really matter there and the chance of Alb having them are rare.

arroze
Sep 23, 2010

right, so don't enter?
I'm rather enjoying my time back in DAOC.... i've got a Friar and Minstrel, working on my templates, may get back into crafting, and got a new house built up. Lots of old and good memories being stirred up. The pain that was looking for a group to do dragons or ToA raids is gone. gone gone gone.

Now if only i can figure out how/where to train my Champion Level abilities, i'm already CL9 and don't even know.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

CactarHero posted:

Alb is the hard road there, also, given that the classes that are favored so highly by the ruleset they use are Hib (see: rangers). It also doesn't help that relics really, really matter there and the chance of Alb having them are rare.

What?

Also Tajendi2 is a replacement for Galladoria/Tuscaran Glacier/Whatever the alb one is. It also doesn't take 4 hours. I really don't know how or why you would compare it to ToA.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

arroze posted:

Now if only i can figure out how/where to train my Champion Level abilities, i'm already CL9 and don't even know.

Try Cotswold or your Shrouded Isles town, whatever that's called in Albion. There should be different trainers there from the normal class trainers. They'll have titles like Acolyte Trainer, Disciple Trainer, Elementalist Trainer, Fighter Trainer, Mage Trainer, or Rogue Trainer.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

What?

Also Tajendi2 is a replacement for Galladoria/Tuscaran Glacier/Whatever the alb one is. It also doesn't take 4 hours. I really don't know how or why you would compare it to ToA.

Mostly the parallel I was drawing (in my mind better than in my post) was that many peoples' complaint with ToA was they didn't want to have to do ML raids, ect, to remain competitive in RvR. So on Uthgard, a server that is going for a pre-ToA RvR experience... it just seemed questionable to add in a surrogate experience of any kind for ToA. And T2 was quicker than T1, but you can't do 2 before 1. Trying to get 1 done as a new player can be pretty rough.

CactarHero fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 7, 2013

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
ggschmitty why have you forsaken me? Did you jump to Hibs? Let me knowwwww!

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

Twlight posted:

I'm playing on alb but I can definatly give you some pointers:

Once you cap out of Cathal Valley ( that is if you chose to but if you're enjoying it why stop) you should be around 4L9 have a decent grip of how your class is played as well as gold and bounty points you can begin to build a suit.

Cathal runs to 4L9? Is it at all populated?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

CactarHero posted:

Cathal runs to 4L9? Is it at all populated?

No, I've levelled about 6 guys to 50 in the last few weeks doing BG quests. Whenever I've been in CV there's either no one, or one stealther, total.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
How quickly can someone jump back into this game after a 12 year vacation? I was hiking with a friend yesterday and being a tremendous shitlord I ended with a chat about Nisse's Lair, making me want to fulfill one of the worst possible urges; returning to ancient MMOs no longer run by the original devs. How many of you can I realistically expect to group with on Midgard?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Easily. You can level a character from scratch to 50 in about 10-12 hours played. They have a quest system set up that basically just walks you all the way there. You can either level in the world or in the battlegrounds, and the quests are just collect 5 bear dongs or whatever easy things. You never have to farm for gear while levelling because the quests always give you free stuff, and the battlegrounds quests give you bounty points to buy gear. When you're 42 or so, you can start doing "atlantean glass" quests, which is a currency for level 50 gear, Master level credit, and Artifact credit and activation. Easy as pie.

I resubbed about a month ago, and levelled up a ranger from 1. In about 15 hours of played time, I was fully levelled, geared up, and templated for rvr. I'm now nearly realm rank 5 and I don't even play well.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
There are glass quests that start at least as low as 35 in oceanus, some of them don't even require combat in case you feel like doing a support class or whatever. If you run it about 50 times, you'll hit 45 at which point you can just do pictish quests until you're 50.

Dunno who all is playing mid these days. I'm trying to play hib but I've only been there a few times. Mostly finding myself playing my cleric since a pile of old guildmates reactivated thanks to news from camelot unchained.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"
Oh yeah, the new quests (in the classic areas and the battlegrounds) are awesome for getting up to level 50 or whatever your destination level would be. I started a healing warden on Friday and got up to level 29 or 30 last night with just a bit of messing around and tanking with 4 blunt spec. I think I'm also up to 3 or 4 deathblows now, since I'm doing the BG quest lines.

As for playing in Midgard, I'm not sure who's playing Mid right now. It seems to be mostly Hib/Alb for goons currently, though we can update the Current Players post if someone is playing Mid regularly. :)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
edit: Is there any way to get my account back if I have no clue what email/account name I use to use? I only remember the character name. I really want to play, but don't feel like starting over.

err fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 23, 2013

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

err posted:

edit: Is there any way to get my account back if I have no clue what email/account name I use to use? I only remember the character name. I really want to play, but don't feel like starting over.

Couldn't hurt speaking with mythic support. The worst you'll get is no, so you're no worse off.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I got mine back recently, but it took half a dozen of mails.

What didn't help my case was that the subscription was paid with the card of a friend, I did not have a CC back then.

They also asked me the answer to the secret question, but couldn't track down what the original question was (a serious case of "42").

If they're being difficult, don't give up. I thought I wouldn't get it back and the day after they mailed me the new log in data.

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

err posted:

Yeah, don't give up.

I got an account back that was actually banned and another one that was stolen. Takes a long time and a lot of emails. If you can find your old CD keys it is a big help. Don't expect a lot of help though from EA/mythic. They tried telling me the accounts didn't even exist.

I've only been back for a few weeks, where is everyone rvring?

err
Apr 11, 2005

Thanks. I sent out an email but I'm just going to make a new account because I doubt it will happen. Sounds like Hib and Alb are the most populated with goons, any suggestions? Also, are bots still required?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Not required, but drat sure useful if you want to get into a group or get anything done solo. They have this "realm buffer" NPC (new since I last played) that can give you all yellow specs, bases, and resists for something like 30 gold or 30 bp. I think its just a goldsink though, because those buffs are really awful compared to bot buffs.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Well that kinda sucks. I'm going to play Alb. Are there any classes that do well without bot buffs, or minimal buffs at that?

err fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 25, 2013

Pappasmurf1978
Nov 29, 2011
Alb side, I'd say maybe Friar/Heretic could do well with the NPC buffs + Self buffs, there's always the Vamp Hib side for a buffless toon.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pappasmurf1978 posted:

Alb side, I'd say maybe Friar/Heretic could do well with the NPC buffs + Self buffs, there's always the Vamp Hib side for a buffless toon.

There are now clerics in most rvr zones which you can buy a token with full buffs, they're close, but not quite as good as bot buffs, they're certainly good enough for normal rvr/leveling.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Lack of Midgard goons is dissuading me from trying to get back into this. I fear change and I miss being a capital T Troll. Just as well, if melee is subject to the whims of casters and I can't splorch everything in a bathrobe that makes me angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Midgard was and still is my favorite....I always think about getting back into this but never have anyone to roll with.

Edit: if you want to roll on Midgard let me know im on Camping the Stairs mumble

SoggyGravy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 29, 2013

• Locked thread