Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
poo poo man, The Game of Love sounds like they took Stickerbrush Symphony from Donkey Kong Country 2 and mashed it up with Something About Us.

I love this album already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mike_V posted:

One might call that a...radio edit. Something a lot of people in here weren't very happy about it seemed.

Haha yeah I guess that would just be a radio edit. The radio edit of Get lucky wasn't that exciting, doesn't mean they couldn't pull it off better with other songs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Holy poo poo everything in Giorgio.

Fixed that because ALL of it is amazing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Trip report, I have only heard get lucky and the chords chilly gonzales played. Not a review just writing what I'm thinking at the time.

Track 1 - Puts a big ol smile on my face. Solid gold groove.

Track 2 - They still know how to make a good solo. So far I get the feeling that they're making a daft punk album with a studio band and them "singing" with a backup band. One that is godly, obviously.

Track 3 - More smiles, the vo and the track giving way to hot rear end space disco grooves was rad. Makes me recall whichever preview said they were inspired by darkside. Here is where all that money went hahahaha.

Track 4 - Robo ballad hit that never was. Feels like a breather after 3.

Track 5 - Definitely sounds like a strokes and dp collaboration. Could be a darkhorse fav, not sure if it's one of mine. At this point I'm agreeing with a lot of previews that were cautiously optimistic about this album. It's already had a lot of fun moments and it might just be charming for how way out there it is.

Track 6 - Oh my, welcome back to discovery land. WIPE OFF ALL THE SWEAT SWEAT SWEAT! This is hilariously ballsy. This is a hot track. Should've been the leadoff single. Starting to understand what they meant about doing with a studio band what they used to do with samples.

Track 7 - More darkside influence. Paul Williams, gives way to more big band craziness and then plummets down into some robot space crooning. I really like the little soundscapes they throw in here and there. Wild stuff, way outside their comfort zone.

Track 8 - So what's different here? Now that it's in context I like it a bit more. It's not the best song on the album but it is a good primer for what you're in for. Has another breakdown now.

Track 9 - We kept the Tron orchestra late a few days and had them do some riffs. Another Paul Williams song. Slick R&B grooves. The entire album so far sounds like an alternate dimension Discovery. Or something where Daft Punk were charged with having to spend a billion dollars to make a genre hopping space disco funk epic.

Track 10 - Tron orchestra returns. These couple of moments have sounded like Daft Punk wrangling an orchestra and session band into something as tight as a sample. More soundscapes, still really impressed by these

Track 11 - Ween makes a Hall & Oates song, Todd Edwards and Daft Punk re-record it. This loving album owns, there is hardly a down moment. Maybe a song you won't love here and there's always something cool going on.

12 - UNGH YEAH! High gloss beats with DP and Panda Bear popping syllables everywhere. Another style departure that still has the DP touch. That's the story of the album for me. That they were successful at all these different styles, having them still definitely live on one album.

13 - Taking it home, Bombastic rear end shaking drums, almost sounds like Justice's AVD turf with Chemical Brothers' beats. And all of a sudden the Alive 2007 guys bust in, grab the controls and stomp all over your disco album. Almost sounds like a "Just so you know, we can still do this, we just chose not to".

Sounded like a really expensive, really fun, ride with a surprise ending. Hilarious and pretty bold.

In short: Great album, the listening party previews and collaborator series did a good job of preparing me for the craziness and I appreciated it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 13, 2013

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I like how the album is just filled with "Something About Us" tracks, my favorite Daft Punk song.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

I can't really say anything about Giorgio by Moroder right now, because I'm just sitting here going :stare:

Giorgio for best dance track 20forever

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

I think this album might go on to be successful :allears:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I was worried this was going to wind up being Discovery 2.

It is not Discovery 2. Oh my, is it ever not Discovery 2.

Outstanding.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

JetGrind posted:

I can't really say anything about Giorgio by Moroder right now, because I'm just sitting here going :stare:

Giorgio for best dance track 20forever

Yep.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Fragments of Time just had the happiest Vocoder solo ever. It was like the end of Digital Love, except HAPPIER

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011

sethsez posted:

I was worried this was going to wind up being Discovery 2.

It is not Discovery 2. Oh my, is it ever not Discovery 2.

Outstanding.

It kind of is Discovery 2. But it's also Tron Legacy II, with that kind of dark vibe that Human After All had, as well as having that new 70's sound.

I love it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
This albums runtime is dangerously close to the same runtime as Electroma.

Edit: It has a Discovery vibe now and then but it's definitely something else entirely. I have a feeling the process of actually putting together the album was similiar only they were using a library of "samples" they made themselves in the studio. Both albums has a lot of disco guitar and FEELINGS.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 13, 2013

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Is it true that its streaming on iTunes now? I can't seem to find it and I'm listening to the Grooveshark stream and oh god Contact should be the first track, right when it goes into the beat its magical.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Is it true that its streaming on iTunes now? I can't seem to find it and I'm listening to the Grooveshark stream and oh god Contact should be the first track, right when it goes into the beat its magical.

Nope

Random Access Memories Tracklist:

01. Give Life Back to Music
02. The Game of Love
03. Giorgio by Moroder
04. Within
05. Instant Crush (feat. Julian Casablancas)
06. Lose Yourself To Dance (feat. Pharrell Williams)
07. Touch (feat. Paul Williams)
08. Get Lucky (feat. Pharrell Williams)
09. Beyond
10. Motherboard
11. Fragments of Time (feat. Todd Edwards)
12. Doin’ It Right (feat. Panda Bear)
13. Contact

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

That's a lot of likes in 2 minutes :stare:

e: over 10k in 3 minutes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ringo Star Get posted:

It must be, the official Daft Punk facebook account just linked to http://www.itunes.com/daftpunk

^^^ Like he said.

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992
2nd song in and I could cry, amazing already!!! Daft Punk <3

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Yeah it finally came up, I had to restart iTunes, wouldn't be surprised if it was being hammered a bit. It's so good, I'm dancing in my chair already and its only been the first track.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Now to see how it holds up as the background music of FIFA2012

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Slate Action posted:

The live drums are consistently amazing, and these might be the best hand claps I've ever heard on an album.
Yeah. The rest of the album is very good so far, but holy poo poo that third track is off the goddamn charts.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Thank god their career didn't end with Human After All.

Flotzilla
May 3, 2003
Pride of the Peaches

Sent from my iPad posted:

Yeah. The rest of the album is very good so far, but holy poo poo that third track is off the goddamn charts.

I haven't made it through the whole album because I keep going back to replay the 3rd track every 10 minutes or so. :(

AvidAcid
May 30, 2004

oh christ
this album loving sucks

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Just made it to Get Lucky, is it too early to say this blows Discovery out of the water for the rank of best dance album?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

AvidAcid posted:

this album loving sucks

This is slander.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Whatever the case, its clearly the most derisive album of all time. Holy hell are people on opposite ends of the spectrum about this.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Lose Yourself To Dance is unbelievable.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

JetGrind posted:

Just made it to Get Lucky, is it too early to say this blows Discovery out of the water for the rank of best dance album?

I haven't listened to it yet, but don't you think it's a little premature to call this the best anything?

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 13, 2013

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oh my god this album is incredible. Holy poo poo.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

AvidAcid posted:

this album loving sucks

I'm only halfway in, but it's not what I was expecting at all. I..I don't know.

the mattness
Oct 11, 2005
Why does it hurt when I pee?
http://starttheband.com/blog/daft-punk-may-stream-new-album-random-access-memories-today/

This popped up then discover it's out now, the interview stream on radio 1 with Zane Lowe is actually really though, can't decide if I want to switch to the album or stay with the interview:/

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

My one complaint is that I'm not a fan of how Contact ends - too much scratchy

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

AvidAcid posted:

this album loving sucks

Counterpoint: nope

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Don't

I haven't listened to it yet, but don't you think it's a little premature to call this the best anything?

I was mostly joking, but I'm sitting here in utter disbelief that this album is as good as it is.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
This is everything I've ever wanted and more. Touch is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Hahah I never thought i'd hear Jazz in a Daft Punk Album. This owns.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Just curious, what was the general initial response to HAA? Did it start this positive and then cool off? Or was everyone pretty cool to it on first listen?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Colonel Whitey posted:

Just curious, what was the general initial response to HAA? Did it start this positive and then cool off? Or was everyone pretty cool to it on first listen?

If I remember correctly, initial impressions were so negative that some people thought Daft Punk had leaked a fake, deliberately lovely album to mess with everyone. It took until Alive 2007 for people to really warm up to Human After All.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
On the 3rd track, enjoying it very much so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I know a lot of people didn't like it much at all when it first came out, then said Alive 2007 made then reconsider what they thought about it.

• Locked thread