Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Time to drink Grainbelt and listen to Purple Rain motherfuckers.
Edit: Bob Dylan and Summit are also a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

VERY Democratic state! They lied when they said rejecting the amendment wouldn't change the law. Think of the photographers!
:qqsay:

It's weird because I have always considered this to be a more economically-progressive state than a socially-progressive one. We're pretty live-and-let-live, but I would have never expected us to be so early in the list of states that legalize it.

I've had a tingle in my chest since the vote board lit up.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Looking at what happened in Russia last week, it got me thinking. Why do we not have to be told that MLK and people like him through history were good guys, but anti-gay conservatives have to constantly tell us they're the good guys? Hell, what if MLK behaved like today's homophobes? "You will give every man, black and white the rights we all deserve, or we will brutally murder and mutilate all the gays in the south!"

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Best sign:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Man. I normally am not a very political person or a very patriotic person, but as a lifelong Minnesotan and believer in equal rights, I'm choked up and grinning and almost want to wave a flag right now.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's weird because I have always considered this to be a more economically-progressive state than a socially-progressive one. We're pretty live-and-let-live, but I would have never expected us to be so early in the list of states that legalize it.

I've had a tingle in my chest since the vote board lit up.

Yeah, this is how I felt too, but I'm so glad to be wrong.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
Hurray for my home state! To think we almost had a constitutional ban and now after Dayton signs it tomorrow, there will be marriage in August. Sad that Senjem voted no though, can't wait for video of the debate to pop up, watching the House debate was pretty good.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

With my colorblindness, at first glance, it actually looks like the whole chart is the family unit falling apart.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This sign was great too

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It will be in the 90s tomorrow, obvious evidence of hellfire

edit for choice quote

quote:

“Some people have said that they are concerned about being on the right side of history. I am more concerned about being on the right side of eternity,” said Hall.

:psyduck:

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 14, 2013

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Sweeney Tom posted:

This sign was great too

We can't save the economy that way! Satan and his will corrupt the country through Bed Bath and Beyond sales!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Sweeney Tom posted:

This sign was great too

"In other news, Subaru stock closed up 15% today..." :v:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Anybody who includes a reference to Jurassic Park in their civil rights struggle is awesome in my book.

Too bad gay marriage already wiped out the dinosaurs though.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Just got back from the Capitol! Over 8 hours there. Got in at 9:45 to sit in line to get into the Senate Gallery, ended up being 6 people away from getting in :(. Did get to watch it from Senator Ray's office with a few other people though, which was sweet. She came back and said hi/talked to us for a few minutes three times over the debate. Thousands of people there, all three levels of the rotunda were packed. Low double digits protesters from what I saw, though I was in the senate office and went out a side entrance when I left so I missed the main crowd. Some really cool signs/outfits there. A couple of young women with signs saying they had just gotten engaged and to now let them marry. One of them had made her own rainbow dress that was really sweet. Just a wave of thunderous applause/cheering when it passed. Could be heard even from inside the Senator's office.

MN United had equality support signs with blanks you could fill in, right next to me in the Gallery line was a guy who had filled it out I'm "A Straight, Christian Union Thug" and I support the Freedom to Marry," which was awesome.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

MN United had equality support signs with blanks you could fill in, right next to me in the Gallery line was a guy who had filled it out I'm "A Straight, Christian Union Thug" and I support the Freedom to Marry," which was awesome.

Tell me you got a picture of that.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Zeroisanumber posted:

Tell me you got a picture of that.

I didn't :negative:. My friend might have though, I'll ask. A ton of people walking by did too so you might see it pop up somewhere.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

right next to me in the Gallery line was a guy who had filled it out I'm "A Straight, Christian Union Thug" and I support the Freedom to Marry," which was awesome.

Yeah dude we need a pic of this. It's very much minnesota.jpg material.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah dude we need a pic of this. It's very much minnesota.jpg material.

Yeah yeah I'm on it. Can't believe I didn't get a photo, oh well. Also this is from a few pages ago but the guy that was like "We still don't have a budget :qq:." Is my Senator, Senator Hann. He is crazy Christian conservative and was actually pretty rude to me and my group with MN United when we went to talk with him. It was very obvious his opposition was purely religious based and he got really offended if anyone even insinuated that being against marriage equality was bigotry or oppression of any kind or that there were any rights denied to gay couples that straight couples had. He had some quote on his wall directly behind him when he talked to us that was something to the effect that a politician of faith should never vote against that faith. Separation of Church and State say what?

Also, didn't see it myself but apparently Minneapolis Mayor RT Ryback was dancing with people down in the rotunda before the vote. The signing is being done tomorrow outside on the capitol steps at 5pm and St. Paul is throwing an impromptu concert with a bunch of local bands for the occasion. Minnesota owns :3:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Also, didn't see it myself but apparently Minneapolis Mayor RT Ryback was dancing with people down in the rotunda before the vote. The signing is being done tomorrow outside on the capitol steps at 5pm and St. Paul is throwing an impromptu concert with a bunch of local bands for the occasion. Minnesota owns :3:

Rybak owns bones. The only problem with democrats having a lock on higher state offices is that we can't elect him senator or governor. Maybe he'll just go back to being in a band when this next term is up.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Here we go:

Edit: unfortunately I did not get many great photos as my phone died early on.

Edit edit: he was there with his daughter, they were both cool from the small amount of time I talked with them.

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 14, 2013

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That is incredible.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I love that look on his face, so perfect and positive.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Jesus. That really is minnesota.jpg. The little flag just adds a perfect touch.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

This is your villainous opposition, NOM. Yah, I'm quakin' in my booots over 'ere, yanno.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

quote:

“Just six months ago advocates of redefining marriage said that there was no need for the marriage amendment because Minnesota already had a traditional marriage law on the books. Now, they’ve changed that law and imposed genderless marriage,” said Brian Brown, NOM’s president. “Make no mistake, this vote will bring the demise of the DFL majority and end the
careers of wayward Republicans in the Legislature once voters have their say.”

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"genderless marriage" oh get hosed.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Kurtofan posted:

"genderless marriage" oh get hosed.

Is the government now required to confiscate your gender when you get a marriage license?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
All marriages now convert you into some sort of androgynous creature that reproduces asexually. :geno:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Yeah, it could cost the DFL some seats, but advancing the cause of equal rights is the point of voting for the DFL in the first place. I'd gladly trade marriage equality for the Legislature. And if the DFL managed to whip their members into such a tight knit bloc, then I'd have to guess that they know MN United isn't going away and will surely help with their reelection in some fashion.

And who's going to beat Dayton? Jeff Johnson? Who the gently caress is that?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I want the job of writing those NOM press releases. The more ridiculous predictions I make, the happier I would make NOM, the more money they would pay me, and the stupider they would look to everybody else. And I could put in messages in the first letters of each sentence like IM GAY and HARVEY MILK. Then I could write an expose and sell it to Slate or something.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

We're winning so much that gay marriage is no longer a scary phrase and they've had to invent genderless marriage. :patriot:

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

NOM Jerk posted:

“Just six months ago advocates of redefining marriage said that there was no need for the marriage amendment because Minnesota already had a traditional marriage law on the books. Now, they’ve changed that law and imposed genderless marriage,” said Brian Brown, NOM’s president. “Make no mistake, this vote will bring the demise of the DFL majority and end the
careers of wayward Republicans in the Legislature once voters have their say.”

Oh you mean the voters who decided democratically that they didn't want to ban gay marriage?

Tim Selaty Jr fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 14, 2013

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Oh you mean the voters who decided democratically that they didn't want to ban gay marriage?

Activist judges legislators voters. :argh:

Keep moving those goal posts, NOM.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Plenty of people. He is an EXTREMELY poor public speaker.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Here is as good a shot of the homemade rainbow dress as I got: (In the middle with the sign)

I was way better in person!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

disregard the following, please. it's wrong.

Do you not remember that former US Senator Dayton barely beat Tom Emmer, the certifiably bonkers yokel? That it was so close it triggered an automatic recount? That it was during a huge wave year for the DFL? And that Dayton might have been the beneficiary of the IP "spoiler" votes?

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 16, 2013

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
He may be a lovely candidate but he's had some of the consistently best approval numbers of any governor in the country on PPP, I don't understand why you guys think he's so vulnerable.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

MaxxBot posted:

He may be a lovely candidate but he's had some of the consistently best approval numbers of any governor in the country on PPP, I don't understand why you guys think he's so vulnerable.

It is really based on the close election. However, I really don't think that will continue into reelection. Same with Al Franken. They both had really close 1st elections but have really high approval ratings since then. I don't know many Minnesotans disappointed with Dayton and there is definitely not a Republican who has a chance against him. All of the Minnesotan Republicans who have the name recognition to even try are too crazy to get anywhere state wide.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

I have known enough old Minnesotans to say with some authority that they can be incredibly fickle in the most ridiculous ways. This is important because the marriage amendment was defeated in a year with much more young people coming out to vote, compared to the older demographic that makes up non-Presidential election years. So be prepared for some really convoluted arguments next year, because maybe we can convince uncle Knut and aunt Alice that it wasn't right to pass SSM before we had some sub-checklist item of the budget wrapped up. At least, stupid canards like that have definitely been a major feature of every election in this state since I was old enough to care about politics.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Someone a few pages back mentioned that the people in the rotunda were singing Les Mis songs. Did a lot of people join in, and does anyone have video?

Chief Savage Man posted:

With my colorblindness, at first glance, it actually looks like the whole chart is the family unit falling apart.

There is a great metaphor hidden in here somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Argue posted:

Someone a few pages back mentioned that the people in the rotunda were singing Les Mis songs. Did a lot of people join in, and does anyone have video?
I second this request. (I'm assuming 'One Day More' or 'Do You Hear The People Sing' rather than 'Dog Eat Dog'...)

Here is as good a shot of the homemade rainbow dress as I got: (In the middle with the sign)

I was way better in person!
What does that sign say?

• Locked thread