Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Samfucius posted:

Is this an MRA style "women use their sex wiles to steal honest men's money" or are you making a joke that I am not getting? The only other woman in 2033 I remember is the little kid's mother and she has like 2 lines.

I think he meant "Pervy internet guys got jacked by the hilarious female NPC."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anatharon posted:

Is there any indication of if the multipule endings will be less arbitrary and ridiculous to get?

Are there even going to be multiple endings again?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There are. At least two of the factors that figure in are really obvious and involve whether or not you kill two major antagonists.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I liked how obscure the second ending was in the first game, it was obviously a hidden ending as opposed to a true alternate one. Kind of a throwback to an older time in gaming.

There were definitely achievements for not killing people as well, so it wasn't like there weren't a couple flags that said "go here, do this".

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Pretty sure the OP will probably just turn unfamiliar people off to the game, as it is. You might want to update it on release.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
uggghh why isn't this out yet? I can't stay up all night on you Metro!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

How do you enable ranger mode?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

404notfound posted:

How do you enable ranger mode?

Is it also just telling you to buy the DLC that isn't there?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
So the game is out now, where do I get the book and comic? I preordered on steam.

Also the first thing it did was blue screen me. In my four years with this computer, the only blue screen I gave ever gotten before was the time I spun in my chair and accidentally axe-kicked it really loving hard. This does not bode well.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
If you're in New Zealand and Australia, it should have just unlocked! I'm in the main menu now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cheston posted:

Is it also just telling you to buy the DLC that isn't there?

Same here, and I preordered it just the same. I was going to use it on the second playthrough anyway, but still.

Artyom doesn't sound quite as depressed as in the last game.

e: I am extremely pleased I can play on high (or close to it) with my kind of crap graphics card.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 14, 2013

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I restarted Steam and then it acknowledged that I have the DLC.

Except now it crashes when I attempt to start a game :bravo:

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Is anybody else having ussues with a media keyboard? When I launch the game the volume controls on my board stop working.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Everything was working fine for me then all of a sudden the game froze and I repeatedly had an enemy screaming in my ears for a minute with the same two second clip until I managed to reboot.

I don't need this poo poo right now man.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
For those of us who are just starting to play 2033 is there a good resource for fixing it's FPS and other technical issues?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Turns out I forgot to preload this. Oops! Oh well. I guess I'll play tomorrow after work.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

For those of us who are just starting to play 2033 is there a good resource for fixing it's FPS and other technical issues?

Turn down settings. Metro 2033's high settings are advanced enough that they're still used as a GPU benchmark.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Ok, last post for real. Is there really no Russian audio option? I don't see it anywhere.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Update your drivers and offer a prayer to Marx

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Samfucius posted:

Ok, last post for real. Is there really no Russian audio option? I don't see it anywhere.

There should be two options for that in 'Game Options' - text language and audio language.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Sankis posted:

Turn down settings. Metro 2033's high settings are advanced enough that they're still used as a GPU benchmark.
I jacked everything up and ran into some serious issues (I'm talking slide show) but once I turned anti-aliasing to AAA it ran fan. What a poorly optimized game.

Samfucius posted:

I was about to ask if 2033 had that option since the English acting is quite...stilted.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I was about to ask if 2033 had that option since the English acting is quite...stilted.

The Russian audio rules. Go for it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Samfucius posted:

Its there, audio or gameplay options.

Also holy hell this is murdering a 7950 at 1050mhz. AMD, get your poo poo togetger and get a new beta driver, tia.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Doctor Albatross posted:

There should be two options for that in 'Game Options' - text language and audio language.

Ah ha, you can't switch in-game.

Edit: by that I mean during gameplay. It is a main menu option.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I jacked everything up and ran into some serious issues (I'm talking slide show) but once I turned anti-aliasing to AAA it ran fan. What a poorly optimized game.

Unless you have a rather high end system, I think you're underestimating how demanding the highest graphical features of Metro 2033 are.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh man I was totally wrong high settings are tearing my card a new rear end in a top hat and normal is having some serious dips at times. The game is really drat pretty though.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sankis posted:

Unless you have a rather high end system, I think you're underestimating how demanding the highest graphical features of Metro 2033 are.

I turned off usage of one of my Titans to test the game out and what was a constant 60 FPS all of a sudden dipped down to something averaging between 40-50. So yeah, if it's stressing out a single thousand dollar graphics card on the highest settings, your expectations are definitely going to need to factor that in.

EDIT: Keep in mind that even the original Metro gives a Titan a workout with everything maxed.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Samfucius posted:

The Russian audio rules. Go for it.
I would but I only see two sliders for audio volume and nothing for language.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Need a performance boost? Follow the steps in the PC Gaming Wiki to change the renderer to DX10 or 9. I'm on DX10 high settings, perfectly smooth on a 7950.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I would but I only see two sliders for audio volume and nothing for language.

You need to look in 'Game Options', not 'Audio Options'. It should be in Audio, but alas...

I'll be streaming this live in about 15 minutes, should be interesting to see how well it performs while being capture in X-Split or Procaster.

dudeman
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Doctor Albatross posted:

I'll be streaming this live in about 15 minutes, should be interesting to see how well it performs while being capture in X-Split or Procaster.

I'm having a hell of a time getting it to work with OBS. It doesn't help that every time I try to change the in-game resolution the game locks up. I can't seem to find a way to force it into windowed mode either, and it's just not hooking with OBS, or even showing up when I broadcast my monitor.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

dudeman posted:

I'm having a hell of a time getting it to work with OBS. It doesn't help that every time I try to change the in-game resolution the game locks up. I can't seem to find a way to force it into windowed mode either, and it's just not hooking with OBS, or even showing up when I broadcast my monitor.

I haven't had a chance to try OBS yet, but another streamer at our community has been fiddling with it and is quite happy with it. Some games really don't like working properly with streaming software - hell, some don't even get recognized by any kind of Game Mode.

You can force windowed mode with this: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Metro:_Last_Light#Windowed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Need a performance boost? Follow the steps in the PC Gaming Wiki to change the renderer to DX10 or 9. I'm on DX10 high settings, perfectly smooth on a 7950.

Might as well give this a shot, it crashed my system the moment I got to the surface.

e: AMD Radeon HD 6800 series, most recent drivers, for the record. Not great I know but it worked fine until now.

e: Artyom moves slow as gently caress.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 14, 2013

Mushball
May 23, 2012
I can't play Last Light at the moment so I don't know if subtitles will work on the side chatter of people in-game which adds so much to building Metro 2033's dreary atmosphere like the story of the nuclear sub fleet that still roam the seas that you can overhear in certain points in the game. Either way I plan on doing one run in English and the other in Russian with English subtitles to get the full experience.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

So how do you use throwing knives? I'm trying to play on ranger hardcore mode and there is literally no interface at all.

dudeman
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Doctor Albatross posted:

I haven't had a chance to try OBS yet, but another streamer at our community has been fiddling with it and is quite happy with it. Some games really don't like working properly with streaming software - hell, some don't even get recognized by any kind of Game Mode.

You can force windowed mode with this: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Metro:_Last_Light#Windowed

Thanks, that actually helped, and I was able to get it into a window, but it's still at a ridiculously wide (like 3 monitors ultra wide) res, but now in a tiny window.

Any idea how to force resolution?

I'm apparently not the only one having this issue.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3121955

Using the new Metro:LL beta drivers too.

Edit: I figured out how to force the res, so I was able to play it in a proper window that wasn't 1440x480. Still can't change resolution in game without crashing though.

I was getting decent performance at 720p with everything maxed and SSAA off while streaming without a capture card.

My pc is a 670GTX, i5-2500k OC'd to 4.5ghz, and 8gb RAM.

dudeman fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 14, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So is it atmosphere and ambience driven, or a CoD in the metro? :ohdear:

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

dudeman posted:

Thanks, that actually helped, and I was able to get it into a window, but it's still at a ridiculously wide (like 3 monitors ultra wide) res, but now in a tiny window.

Any idea how to force resolution?

I'm apparently not the only one having this issue.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3121955

Using the new Metro:LL beta drivers too.

Just downloaded and tried out OBS, it's not picking up my microphone or Metro's video/audio at all. Guess we'll need to fiddle.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Doctor Albatross posted:

You need to look in 'Game Options', not 'Audio Options'. It should be in Audio, but alas...

Found it after I quit the session and went to the main menu. Thanks.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It's fine on DX11 and Very High now that I've turned off 4xAA in favour of just AAA. This is 2033 for anyone who missed my earlier posts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So everyone in the concentration camp was telling me to open the gates, but the only switch I saw was to cycle the airlock. Did I just gently caress them over, or do I do that later?

e: Nevermind, I was looking in the wrong place.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

poptart_fairy posted:

So is it atmosphere and ambience driven, or a CoD in the metro? :ohdear:

The former.

• Locked thread