Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

JackDarko posted:

How do I learn to anticipate overheads? Is it simpler than learning every character and their strings?

Could anybody that's played with me give me some pointers?

There's no way to accurately predict something if you don't know what the factors involved are.

You need to know which moves are overhead (or low, etc) and what situations they are best in before you can get into the higher 'meta' stuff about anticipating and 'reads'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Interstellar Owl posted:

Thanks for all the tips guys, appreciate it. I'm gonna try out some Nightwing and Doomsday, any tips for either? Especially doomsday? I have no idea what kind of character he is.

Dooms is straight up rush down of the meanest variety. Safe as hell specials that let you keep the pressure on and give no fucks about damage when you burn meter on them to close the distance.

Earthshake is such a gently caress you move and makes people question why they bought this game because it hits overhead and then low and of course leaves Doomsday totally safe if you manage to block him. MB Venom is the proverbial middle finger to anybody who thinks they can zone you and Supernova will net you more noob bait online than you can shake a stick at.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 14, 2013

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

JackDarko posted:

How do I learn to anticipate overheads? Is it simpler than learning every character and their strings?

Could anybody that's played with me give me some pointers?

:EDIT

For Nightwing learn to love b.2 it's a great fast overhead with fantastic reach as well; also it's easy to combo afterwards.

At first staff stance will seem like it's useless because of how it limits your mobility but it's actually really good!
NRS games are weird. It's not really "block low until you see the overhead" like Street Fighter, or "block high until you see the low" like Tekken. It's just, some characters have fast overheads that lead to big damage, some characters have fast lows that lead to big damage, some have both. You do kinda need to know each character's options to be able to defend them.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

AndyElusive posted:

This game makes people so upset that when I actually give props to someone for almost kicking my rear end and pulling off some sick corner combos with Arrow I literally get flamed back.

Maybe it's just Sinestro and how easy people think he is to play that does it to folks.

It's not my fault I push blocked you during your sick mix up. Pressed the jet take off and then smashed a robot into your face. Stage transition me next time you big baby. Sheesh!

I had the opposite reaction. Played a few matches with some kid that found his way into the goon room. I gave him a few tips and we had a few matches. Just some good fun, no hard feelings.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
How many goons play this? We should at least attempt to get a big tournament together within the next couple of weeks.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

I had the opposite reaction. Played a few matches with some kid that found his way into the goon room. I gave him a few tips and we had a few matches. Just some good fun, no hard feelings.

This was Ranked Mode. I guess it draws a different kind of beast.

This dude was something like 4 levels higher than me, not that levels mean jack poo poo in this game, but he clearly knew his stuff when it came to Arrow. He squeezed me into the left corner of high Watchtower, caught me with a f2d13 into low ice arrow and then instead of transitioning me, he corner combos my rear end like he's Desk and drops it. He went for another f2d13 right after which I pushblock and win thanks to the jet and a lucky robot who came over head just as he was burning and a fear blast.

He should have won, so I sent him some ggs and compliment his skill and tell him if he should have sent me through the console into lower Watchtower.

Next thing I know I'm spending 15 minutes getting railed over XBL for it. :rant:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 14, 2013

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe

Seymour Butts posted:

How many goons play this? We should at least attempt to get a big tournament together within the next couple of weeks.

There's definitely enough on 360. We'd just need to get together on a time.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AndyElusive posted:

This dude was something like 4 levels higher than me, not that levels mean jack poo poo in this game, but he clearly knew his stuff when it came to Arrow. He squeezed me into the left corner of high Watchtower, caught me with a f2d13 into low ice arrow and then instead of transitioning me, he corner combos my rear end like he's Desk and drops it. He went for another f2d13 right after which I pushblock and win thanks to the jet and a lucky robot who came over head just as he was burning and a fear blast.

He should have won, so I sent him some ggs and compliment his skill and tell him if he should have sent me through the console into lower Watchtower.

Next thing I know I'm spending 15 minutes getting railed over XBL for it. :rant:

I find people like this funny, they're such loving assholes that being a genuine good sport is seen by them as if you'd just kicked their mother.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

Was that the dude that flipped his poo poo about you picking Sinestro?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Was that the dude that flipped his poo poo about you picking Sinestro?

Nope, that was another goon who made someone go Sinsane.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Interstellar Owl posted:

Are there any characters are that easier to learn and don't require perfect execution/insane combos/etc to learn for a beginner person? I've tried a bunch of people and I just have a hard time learning these insane combo strings (still haven't gotten down canceling) I see on TestYourMight

I'm way late to this, but Catwoman is -very- easy to learn. She has a very shallow special move pool and really great mechanics on her b3 and f3, so she's a good choice for learning the game.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
Yesterday, I got a hate mail about using batman's bnb combo 223 j2 123 b23. He stated that I needed to learn another combo so I can get some E skill, but honestly, canceling online is practically a gamble sometimes. Was funny though. Also, I think I clawed my way out of lower bracket and am fighting people who are in the mid range I guess. Lot of the fights I've had lately have been tough and not an easy win. Feels good to learn the match ups even if I get schooled most of the time.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Evil Canadian posted:

Well Hazama did have this none too subtle colouring

"HOUTENJIN!...... I hit because I care."

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Interstellar Owl posted:

Are there any characters are that easier to learn and don't require perfect execution/insane combos/etc to learn for a beginner person? I've tried a bunch of people and I just have a hard time learning these insane combo strings (still haven't gotten down canceling) I see on TestYourMight
I'm not very good at fighting games, but I'm finding that Green Arrow seems to be pretty newbie friendly. He does have some combos, but they're not very hard to pull off and can do some pretty decent damage. Plus, his character power (his bow and non-elemental, electric, fire, and ice arrows you can switch between) is really good under the right circumstances.

Edit: Wow, I'm late with this... :doh:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I just had a guy send me a message telling me to shoot myself in the head because I held back against his hawkgirl so he couldn't hit me with his air maces. Oh, also, if you use the interactables on a stage then you are trash I guess. People are funny.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Just got matched against a total newbie in player matches who was doing nothing but walking forward and pressing light/medium. I played a few matches as Flash explaining each mechanic I was using to punish him (Environment, charge whenever he wasn't blocking, overheads and grabs etc) and suggesting what he should try to do so he doesn't get punished by each. He didn't have a mic but he was obviously listening and within a few minutes he was consistently blocking and trying to counter things. He was bouncing from character to character so I started playing Harley so I could learn along with him and explained how I was testing out moves and developing a strategy. Quickly began zoning him nonstop as he for some reason was keen to downblock constantly at midscreen which would eat it from Harley's bomb thing. He started using Superman after I described his imba super and wide variety of options.

I basically just regurgitated everything I learned from you guys and 10 matches later he was consistently punishing me with Superman :3: I just kept using the same moves at the same ranges (which was destroying him at first) and it was so fun watching him adapt and start blocking consistently. He went from never metering once and haphazardly using his super move to punishing me with his Super and mb eye lazers whenever I downblocked as well. It was so cute!! He thanked me for "showing him the ropes" afterwords.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 14, 2013

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Holy Calamity! posted:

Just got matched against a total newbie in player matches who was doing nothing but walking forward and pressing light/medium. I played a few matches as Flash explaining each mechanic I was using to punish him (Environment, charge whenever he wasn't blocking, overheads and grabs etc) and suggesting what he should try to do so he doesn't get punished by each. He didn't have a mic but he was obviously listening and within a few minutes he was consistently blocking and trying to counter things. He was bouncing from character to character so I started playing Harley so I could learn along with him and explained how I was testing out moves and developing a strategy. Quickly began zoning him nonstop as he for some reason was keen to downblock constantly at midscreen which would eat it from Harley's bomb thing. He started using Superman after I described his imba super and wide variety of options.

I basically just regurgitated everything I learned from you guys and 10 matches later he was consistently punishing me with Superman :3: I just kept using the same moves at the same ranges (which was destroying him at first) and it was so fun watching him adapt and start blocking consistently. He went from never metering once and haphazardly using his super move to punishing me with his Super and mb eye lazers whenever I downblocked as well. It was so cute!!

You just made Injustice online slightly better. Good for you, guy.

When I run into bad players in player matches I just spam transitions on them and call it a day. I'm a dick.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
To the guy who suggested Doomsday. I love you. I gotta learn him more but he's just so awesome. People try zoning me and I just MB venom in. I haven't found earthquake to be effective though. Yet. I gotta learn more of his deeper stuff but I'm loving him. His super is hysterical too.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
EQ by itself really isn't that impressive, EQ with the threat of meter behind it in the corner is though. 22 df2 or 22 df2mb basically means they guess which you're going to do and risk eating full combo if they guess wrong with regards to the meter burn version.

It's also safe iirc.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dosvidanya posted:

EQ by itself really isn't that impressive, EQ with the threat of meter behind it in the corner is though. 22 df2 or 22 df2mb basically means they guess which you're going to do and risk eating full combo if they guess wrong with regards to the meter burn version.

It's also safe iirc.

Yup, both normal and MB are safe.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Its not something many players will be able to do right now, but Doomsday's df2 is blockable with a little practice. More importantly the same timing that blocks df2 will block df2MB so at some (admittedly very high) level of play it'll stop being a mix up.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Hopping on XBL. Trying out some Superman. Gt: strangemobius if you want to have a few rounds.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Seymour Butts posted:

Sign me up for a PS3 crew tourney. :eng101:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

What's the policy on mics in Goon rooms? I was thinkin' about picking this up again after neglecting it for a week or so and seeing how thrashed I get, but my mic is dead.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Crowetron posted:

What's the policy on mics in Goon rooms? I was thinkin' about picking this up again after neglecting it for a week or so and seeing how thrashed I get, but my mic is dead.

No policy or expectations, if people don't recognize your name they might assume you're a pubbie and give you poo poo but you can just use the ingame chat to say you're a goon and no one will mind. Mics always make things more fun but it's not like people will get upset if you don't have one.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Interstellar Owl posted:

To the guy who suggested Doomsday. I love you. I gotta learn him more but he's just so awesome. People try zoning me and I just MB venom in. I haven't found earthquake to be effective though. Yet. I gotta learn more of his deeper stuff but I'm loving him. His super is hysterical too.

:love::love:his voice:love::love:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Injustice: Gods Among Us - AHWILKILLUALL!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Holy Calamity! posted:

No policy or expectations, if people don't recognize your name they might assume you're a pubbie and give you poo poo but you can just use the ingame chat to say you're a goon and no one will mind. Mics always make things more fun but it's not like people will get upset if you don't have one.

This is good news. I'd love to play and practice with goons but I'm not very talkative and usually go micless. If you don't mind that and want an easy to beat up player I'm your man. gt: weekdaynachos

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 15, 2013

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Holy Calamity! posted:

Cool beans. If you guys see a mute Hawkgirl floundering around, that's probably me!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I've seen the term "push block" mentioned a few times and it doesn't seem to be in the OP. What does it mean? Just normal push back to block?

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
GOONroom up on XBL if anyone wants to 1v1 or Survivor!

Soonmot posted:

I've seen the term "push block" mentioned a few times and it doesn't seem to be in the OP. What does it mean? Just normal push back to block?

Press meter right as a block connects and it will push 'em back!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Soonmot posted:

You can use a meter burn to actually shove the other guy away from you while you're blocking. This is a good thing to use if you're in the corner, or if you have a character that's strong at range.

e: Beaten! :black101:

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Holy Calamity! posted:

I'll hop on in a minute.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Holy Calamity! posted:

Tried to improve my Doomsday game but there was so much drat lag. My bad guys.

Interstellar Owl fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 15, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

People get very upset when you call them out on quitting because you kicked their rear end.

Also, can you use qcb to cancel any of Sinestro's projectiles?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

People get very upset when you call them out on quitting because you kicked their rear end.

If you are going to send a message to someone for quitting the best thing you can send is "u mad?" That used to really make quitters angry in NBA Jam.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
Ugh, pretty disappointed in the 'high level' players non embrace of this game. Art uses Sinestros b13 b13 instead of b13 b3.
WolfKrone doesn't even seem to know that boulders are blocked high. Hope the MK players put some time in. Personally the lack of any comeback mechanic alongside emphasis on deliberate magic series combos that punish you for mashing has made it my favourite fighter in the post SF4 era.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Interstellar Owl posted:

Tried to improve my Doomsday game but there was so much drat lag. My bad guys.

It happens, no big deal. GGs all (note: do not feel obligated to say GG or despair when others don't, I just freakin LOVe manners!!)

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Holy Calamity! posted:

It happens, no big deal. GGs all (note: do not feel obligated to say GG or despair when others don't, I just freakin LOVe manners!!)

Not sure which your Gamer Tag was, but any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Spacebump posted:

If you are going to send a message to someone for quitting the best thing you can send is "u mad?" That used to really make quitters angry in NBA Jam.

My one-worders are 'embarrassing' or 'shameful', and if I have my keyboard control plugged in I send them a 'go home and be a family man'. I get lots of swear rants in return.

Does anybody have Raven experience? I played a few matches with her earlier and came out even. I find her db2 is hard to hit with, but I suppose that's because it's way better than the df2.

I figure her strategy is something along the lines of defensive zoning play, and then a shift into offense when your trait is up? She's basically just like P4A's Aegis. I should play her more often.

• Locked thread