Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jenny Olsen is rumored to actually be Jimmy's sister in Man of Steel, although with that character who really gives a poo poo if they did a gender swap. Either way it's less dumb than in Smallville where Jimmy Olsen who was introduced and then died was the older brother or whatever of the "real" Jimmy Olsen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

It looks like they took those praises to heart because everything I've seen from the villains to the costuming thus far screams "We're going with Ultimate Spidey" and that is by far the right call to make.

The folks at Badass Digest have been dropping hints over the past few months that the script is terrific, too.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

The folks at Badass Digest have been dropping hints over the past few months that the script is terrific, too.

Honestly, the only pre-release script that was good and actually lived up to it in final form was Batman Begins.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

It looks like they took those praises to heart because everything I've seen from the villains to the costuming thus far screams "We're going with Ultimate Spidey" and that is by far the right call to make.

I've never been a huge fan of Spider-Man, but recently I've had to chance to start reading through Ultimate Spider-Man from the beginning. Bendis really made the character astoundingly entertaining.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DFu4ever posted:

I've never been a huge fan of Spider-Man, but recently I've had to chance to start reading through Ultimate Spider-Man from the beginning. Bendis really made the character astoundingly entertaining.

Ultimate Spidey definitely has its share of misstepps-- Carnage or any tie-in with Ultimate Events--but overall it's really something special. Everything from the Halfway House "Amazing Friends" arc onwards owns.

Thwomp posted:

Honestly, the only pre-release script that was good and actually lived up to it in final form was Batman Begins.

Even then we still had stupid stuff like the Microwave Gun and "I've got to get me one of these." It's my favorite Batman movie but man is some stuff awkward.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's the full Agents of SHIELD trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3T-evQZiQo

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Was that Ming-Na Wen? :swoon:

Other than that, it looks exactly like what I expect from the CW.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

That looks pretty cool, and I'm very interested in the idea of a superhero show that doesn't focus on the superheroes, because it's an odd concept to roll with.

Also... the superpowered black guy in that trailer. Is that Luke Cage, some other Marvel character, or a brand new character being made for the show?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Could be a bunch of guys at this point since the powers displayed are very generic. Patriot, Rage, and Luke Cage seem to be the three big guesses I'm seeing around town.

I'd rather them not do Luke Cage, at least not right away, and focus on true C-Listers, because Luke Cage needs to be played by Michael Jai White.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The "shield" joke might means he's Patriot. They could then tie his origins to more experiments with the Super Soldier serum like they did with the Hulk (in Ultimate Comics it was also true for mutants, Spider-man, Green Goblin and Venom).

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I will only watch if some guy in the show has massive scars that could only have been caused by three claws slashing his face - be it a hardcore agent, a bitter villain, or a dancing bear that is hardcore and bitter. I demand the creators confirm this will happen or I will not watch.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

I will only watch if some guy in the show has massive scars that could only have been caused by three claws slashing his face - be it a hardcore agent, a bitter villain, or a dancing bear that is hardcore and bitter. I demand the creators confirm this will happen or I will not watch.

But Nick Fury already has those. :confused:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

The MSJ posted:

Say what you will about Joss Whedon's strengths and weaknesses, but he does good TV and this concept seems to have waaaaaaay less creepy potential than stuff like Dollhouse.

I'm officially excited for this now.

E: I'm kinda getting a Fringe + superpowers vibe off of this.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

So they didn't bring over anyone from those Marvel One-shots? I expected to at least bring some of the over.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

AGirlWonder posted:

Was that Ming-Na Wen? :swoon:

Looks pretty fun! Wheedon has made some good, fun TV before so no reason it wont carry over here.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Jamesman posted:

But Nick Fury already has those. :confused:

He looks like he was attacked by someone with a large fork.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rasczak posted:

He looks like he was attacked by someone with a large fork.

So we finally have the identity of the one who scarred/blinded Nick Fury in that universe.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Question: can Marvel use characters owned by other studios for Movies in their TV show? Like the Mutants and Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four? Because that would be one way to introduce Scarlet Witch as a Mutant, and then roll her into the Avengers sequel where you make no mention of her origin...

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

AGirlWonder posted:

It's actually airing on ABC, Tuesdays at 8PM.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Question: can Marvel use characters owned by other studios for Movies in their TV show? Like the Mutants and Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four? Because that would be one way to introduce Scarlet Witch as a Mutant, and then roll her into the Avengers sequel where you make no mention of her origin...
I don't think they can do that

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Actually, it was confirmed a few pages ago that the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver characters both have a special agreement that both Fox and Marvel Studios can use them in movies (and maybe this carries over to TV as well). So, yes, it's possible.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
And assuming the series does well, I'm sure that one or more of the agent characters will show up in Avengers 2 in a couple of years.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking about Scarlet Witch, here's a rumor about Saoirse Ronan being the actress in mind when writing the character for Avengers 2.

Now, time for videos.

Garfield vs Giamatti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZSrfxcG94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBKmryB1vc4

Edit: Captain America 2. More videos and pictures here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk7ELSDdhJY

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 15, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

That second ASM video was hilarious. No words needed just Spider-Man walking away and dancing in that mask with huge, goofy (in a good way!) eyes. I love it.

Even if there were no words to that scene in the final cut (which there will be, obviously), I'd still love it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Jesus, that man's abs have abs. :stare:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Aatrek posted:

And assuming the series does well, I'm sure that one or more of the agent characters will show up in Avengers 2 in a couple of years.

I have a lot of faith in Whedon, and this show, but I don't get why they made a SHIELD TV Show, and didn't use Dum Dum, Sharon Carter or Fury. I mean, obviously Sam Jackson is going to be tough to get for a series, so that's fine, but it's not like Neil McDonough is busy, or just recast him. It's just weird to have a show about SHIELD, where we don't have any characters from the comics from SHIELD. I love Coulson, don't get me wrong, but when I think SHIELD, I think Dugan, Carter and Fury. (And to a lesser degree, that one-shot where Bruce Wayne was an Agent of SHIELD during the amalgam crossovers).

I think the show is going to be fantastic, and I am nothing but anxious for it, but I can't help but wonder why he made an all new set of characters... Maybe they'll introduce some familiar characters down the road, and after HIMYM ends, we'll get Robin Sherbatsky Maria Hill on the show as well...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'd bet money on a Sam Jackson cameo either in the opening episode or the season finale.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Comedy option. Sam Jackson asks for too much money and Marvel gets Morgan Freeman to play Nick Fury. First introduction is that famous panel of Fury on the rocket bike smashing through the Helicarrier hull guns blazing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I have a lot of faith in Whedon, and this show, but I don't get why they made a SHIELD TV Show, and didn't use Dum Dum, Sharon Carter or Fury. I mean, obviously Sam Jackson is going to be tough to get for a series, so that's fine, but it's not like Neil McDonough is busy, or just recast him. It's just weird to have a show about SHIELD, where we don't have any characters from the comics from SHIELD. I love Coulson, don't get me wrong, but when I think SHIELD, I think Dugan, Carter and Fury. (And to a lesser degree, that one-shot where Bruce Wayne was an Agent of SHIELD during the amalgam crossovers).

I think the show is going to be fantastic, and I am nothing but anxious for it, but I can't help but wonder why he made an all new set of characters... Maybe they'll introduce some familiar characters down the road, and after HIMYM ends, we'll get Robin Sherbatsky Maria Hill on the show as well...
Wouldn't Dum Dum be 80 or dead by now? Sorry not familiar with the character, but if that means more Neil McDonough then I can't see that as a bad thing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

achillesforever6 posted:

Wouldn't Dum Dum be 80 or dead by now? Sorry not familiar with the character, but if that means more Neil McDonough then I can't see that as a bad thing.

I think there are some characters, including Widow and Fury, that have some kind of serum or nanites or something that keeps them proper and young. Dum Dum is or was around in the last few years in the comics.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If they brought back Dum Dum Dugan after featuring him in the 1940s they'd have to use the "Fury's aging serum" excuse, which dilutes the significance of Captain America's "Man out of time" schtick, just like it does in the comics.

They're using Sharon Carter for Captain America 2.

Samuel L. Jackson is way too expensive for a series. Dude is a huge box office draw and can easily demand Seinfeld and FRIENDS levels of cash.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah. But in the Comics, he and Fury are roughly the same age, and would likely both have benefited from whatever age-reversing-plot-device was relevant for the current continuity in the books (I stopped reading years ago).

Again, not even nitpicking, I'd just like to see him, Bowler Hat and all, on the new series.

edit:

mind the walrus posted:

If they brought back Dum Dum Dugan after featuring him in the 1940s they'd have to use the "Fury's aging serum" excuse, which dilutes the significance of Captain America's "Man out of time" schtick, just like it does in the comics.

They're using Sharon Carter for Captain America 2.

Samuel L. Jackson is way too expensive for a series. Dude is a huge box office draw and can easily demand Seinfeld and FRIENDS levels of cash.

I don't think Dum Dum's appearance would dilute Cap's Man out of Time thing, as Dum Dum would've hypothetically have lived through the last 60 years, and evolved along with it (ala Fury. They hinted he was super old in Iron Man 2, right?)

Glad to hear they're using Sharon Carter! And yeah, I know Sam Jackson is too high profile to be a recurring character, just wishful thinking.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 15, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe we can have a short arc in the TV show where SHIELD helps Dum Dum capture Godzilla.

And if they can afford or get away with it, they'll totally trow someone from the movie as a ratings boost for a mod-season break or season finale.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Back to my initial question about the character rights:

Marvel owns the TV rights (edit: NOT THE MOVIES, obviously) for Spider-Man, the X-Men, etc. And they just got the film rights back for Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Punisher (I think?) - so what's to prevent them from throwing their own version of Spidey or some of the Mutants into the SHIELD show, aside from brand dilution? Assuming they introduce a character from those licenses, for example, Northstar - and then they only use him on the TV show, and don't refer to him in the movies... That would be "ok" legally, right? Obviously, Marvel likely wouldn't introduce a huge character like Spidey or Scott Summers off the bat, but there's no reason they couldn't, down the line (if the show picked up considerable steam and the showrunners decided to go down that road).

Right? Or am I missing something tricky about the inclusion of the licenses on film and the legal link between the continuity of the show and the movies?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Back to my initial question about the character rights:

Marvel owns the TV rights (edit: NOT THE MOVIES, obviously) for Spider-Man, the X-Men, etc. And they just got the film rights back for Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Punisher (I think?) - so what's to prevent them from throwing their own version of Spidey or some of the Mutants into the SHIELD show, aside from brand dilution? Assuming they introduce a character from those licenses, for example, Northstar - and then they only use him on the TV show, and don't refer to him in the movies... That would be "ok" legally, right? Obviously, Marvel likely wouldn't introduce a huge character like Spidey or Scott Summers off the bat, but there's no reason they couldn't, down the line (if the show picked up considerable steam and the showrunners decided to go down that road).

Right? Or am I missing something tricky about the inclusion of the licenses on film and the legal link between the continuity of the show and the movies?

The Sony/Marvel Spider-man deal prohibits them from doing so. Hell back a decade or so ago Marvel had to sue themselves over the Mutant X show.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

The Sony/Marvel Spider-man deal prohibits them from doing so. Hell back a decade or so ago Marvel had to sue themselves over the Mutant X show.

Wasn't the most recent Spider-Man cartoon a Disney production, though? Or was it owned by Sony and just aired on Disney? And didn't he show up in the Avengers cartoon series as well?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Can you explain? The Sony/Marvel Spider-Man deal gives Sony the movie rights to Spider-Man and Marvel the TV rights (including animation). It seems like Marvel wouldn't want to use Spider-Man in a SHIELD property because it would promote the Sony movies rather than the Marvel movies, but where are you getting that it would be prohibited by the deal?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Spectacular Spider-man was a popular Sony show that was canceled and then Disney came out with their own Spider-man show after they got the rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Aatrek posted:

It's actually airing on ABC, Tuesdays at 8PM.

Really? Okay, that makes me a lot more hopeful. I still associate Whedon with the CW because of Buffy, so there's that. But ABC's much better.

Clearly, I've been emotionally scarred by Smallville.

• Locked thread