Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
But there is so so so much artifact destruction in modern. Not to mention that the combo decks don't even need to attack you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AgentSythe posted:

If you play this deck, you are a sociopath.

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I love everything about this deck.

I had the Opals, so I built this deck. Hoo boy, if you have a Lantern in your opening grip, it is an absolute bloodbath. The concept of "my deck is better than your opening 7, btw you can't attack me game 1" is some kind of good. Still trying to figure a way to beat Chalice for 1 and incidental artifact hate, but Affinity isn't really a thing and Welding Jar exists in my board.

I'm trying to decide between this and Hatebears for GP Portland, I think Hatebears is stronger (especially against Jund), but it just autoloses to Tron, which is the current oversaturated deck, so I'm thinking of taking this deck. I need a better name than "Top Control," though, because that just makes people think of the Dreidel.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mulletstation posted:

But there is so so so much artifact destruction in modern. Not to mention that the combo decks don't even need to attack you.
What combo decks? splinter twin? pod? They fold to ensnaring bridge. No one sides in more than 4 artifact removal and I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to keep them from drawing it. I'm not saying the deck is tier one, but it definitely looks like it has some game to it and is a solid budget choice.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Wadjamaloo posted:

What combo decks? splinter twin? pod? They fold to ensnaring bridge. No one sides in more than 4 artifact removal and I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to keep them from drawing it. I'm not saying the deck is tier one, but it definitely looks like it has some game to it and is a solid budget choice.

-Splinter Twin (and scapeshift, and has counter-spells, sleight of hand, telling time, fetch-lands to shuffle etc... This deck looks like it uses Duress as its only defense against any counterspells that exist in any deck.
-Melira Pod uses murderous redcap to deal infinite damage without attacking.
-Tron has oblivion stones and/or can search up a Ulamog if they're running it to blow up part of the combo. Blue-Tron can lock harder than this deck can.
-Infect would give this deck hell considering it only has 3 pyroclasms and that ensnaring bridge costs 3 while infect can win on T2 and its creatures power doesn't get boosted until after the attack.
-Doran of all decks can get around ensnaring bridge just by beating it with a 0/5 tree man.
-RDW will burn you to death. Grim lavamancer will get fed off of the milling also.

I'm a huge huge fan of janky insane concept decks, but this thing just looks janky and terrible.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I'd be willing to watch a stream of it, if someone wanted to make one. I don't have a MTGO account, or I'd see about throwing it together. Watching how it plays out should give a better idea of whether this is a flash in the pan or a genuine Tier <1 deck.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I'm actually quite interesting in seeing the deck in action as well.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jenx posted:

I'm actually quite interesting in seeing the deck in action as well.

Follow @npcdel on Twitter; I'll take it to GP Portland and livetweet my results.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Tharizdun posted:

I need a better name than "Top Control," though, because that just makes people think of the Dreidel.

People in the MTG Salvation thread were calling it Barber Shop for a while. "Just a little off the top please"

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

That name makes me hate the deck even more. They should have chose a sweeter more badass name like Lincoln Hawk, from Over the Top.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If nothing else, this deck makes a compelling argument for why Jace should never get off the Modern banlist, given that a deck that requires a two-card combo to replicate his +2 comes off as decently threatening, let alone without having the other abilities the card has.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Eh, I think Jace is fine in modern. Tapping out for a Jace is such a huge liability, most decks can just kill you if you do that.
Control could use the boost too.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wadjamaloo posted:

Eh, I think Jace is fine in modern. Tapping out for a Jace is such a huge liability, most decks can just kill you if you do that.

I do not think we are talking about the same Jace, the Mind Sculptor.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

TheKingofSprings posted:

If nothing else, this deck makes a compelling argument for why Jace should never get off the Modern banlist, given that a deck that requires a two-card combo to replicate his +2 comes off as decently threatening, let alone without having the other abilities the card has.

I really, really don't think that this deck is 'decently threatening'

Wadjamaloo posted:

Jace probably could've been legal before Bloodbraid Elf was banned. People forget that the current modern metagame looks a lot like the extended metagame before Modern was announced and Jace wasn't even in a deck at that time. However, Jace was banned basically because of stigma, and not because the card would've been too strong.

EDIT: Now that BBE is banned no way can Jace be unbanned.

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 9, 2013

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Honestly, I'm not even sure that Jace would be that backbreaking in the current Modern. He'd definitely still be good, I don't think you can print that many words on a card and not have it be relevant but he'd be weaker than he is in Legacy. There blue decks have FoW to defend them in the early game, and there are other shuffle/rearrange effects like brainstorm or Top that decks build to take advantage of, so he fits in nicely. In modern blue has a much shakier early game, the brainstorm effects are generally banned and fetches are a lot more painful when you're looking for shocks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The people saying Jace wouldn't be backbreaking in Modern by pointing out how many toys control loses from Legacy are only looking at one side of the equation. The Modern control deck would be under less pressure, particularly from combo. You can't just say that blue loses Force of Will and has to fetch shocks therefore JTMS is fine.

I mean, it'd be interesting to do some pro-level playtesting to see what the actual effects of a JTMS unban would be in a controlled environment, but an actual unban would affect tons of people and if it turned out to be a horrible idea it'd be months before they could gracefully do anything about it. It wouldn't be worth the risk.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
There are actual UB, UW, and WUR control decks that I'm sure would love to have Jace TMS's fatesealing, brainstorming, unsummoning rear end.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

JTMS wasn't played in old extended because there were far too many powerful decks, and Jace didn't really help against DDT, Affinity, Burn, Zoo, Living End, Hypergenesis, etc. It definitely helped put away games in the late stages but you had to pack your decks really heavy to survive DDT and whatever else.

If Jace were legal in Modern I would 100% of the time just play a deck with Thoughtseize or Inquisition of Kozilek, Remand or Mana Leak, 3-4 Jace, and probably Wurmcoil as my finisher. I don't care what the rest of the deck is, it can be 2 colors or 5 colors for all I care.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

If you tap out for Jace against combo there is a huge chance you are dead. Control could use the boost too, there really isn't a real good control deck right now. In modern I feel like Liliana is probably the better planeswalker. Yes IoK into Liliana, into Jace is going to be back breaking, but so is just IoK into Liliana into anything.

As for hurting a bunch of innocent people or whatever, its not like they can't ban him again if he does prove to be powerful. I would certainly rather see them take some things off the ban list instead of add more to it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Bring back Bitterblossom :getin:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AgentSythe posted:

Bring back Bitterblossom :getin:

Only after I get a playset. So I can use them for Legacy. Yeah. Legacy.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What is a good Burn decklist?

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
^ Modern Burn Decklists:
http://www.mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=226&meta=51

I'm wondering what the collective win percentage of top-control is, 10%? less?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If I were playing burn, I would stick to a list that has white mana so I can use some kind of enchantment removal. Leyline of Sanctity is a mother fucker against burn.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

And the only deck regularly packing leyline was eggs which has been banned.

You are pretty boned if they have turn 0 leyline anyways. It's better to just use SB slots for something else and hope they don't have it.
Trying to turn a 0% win into a 10% win is sort if pointless.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...
The finals of Modern format GP Portland are set. Sam Pardee playing Melira Pod, and Joe Demestrio playing Scapeshift with 4 maindeck Pyroclasm.

The match goes live in 5 minutes at http://www.twitch.tv/magicprotour. The commentary is pretty forgettable, they both have trouble relaying the gamestate accurately and the video production is laughable. Got a nice shot of Zvi's crotch as he walked in front of the player cameras, and they played a hilariously bad teaser for DotP 2014.

taladel fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 13, 2013

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Star Man posted:

If I were playing burn, I would stick to a list that has white mana so I can use some kind of enchantment removal. Leyline of Sanctity is a mother fucker against burn.

Figure of Destiny, Boros Reckoner, and Patrician's Scorn :getin:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
What exactly is so devastating, I'm not up on all the cutting edge humor here

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

JerryLee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Oi57fqdU0

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Zac Hill says "devastating" a lot. That's it. That's the joke.

e: Melira Pod wins!

Minority Deport fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 13, 2013

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Just to chime in that the second post of this thread is still lacking in GP Portland reports of any kind.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
I'll write one up when I get around to it, but the thread mostly seems to be about discussing fringe decks.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I think the thread can be whatever we want it to be about relating to Modern.

What archtypes are people playing and having success with?

I'm running pretty well with Melira-Pod right now and I've almost got all the cards to audible into Kiki-Pod if I want to. MP is putting up better numbers atm though.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Shavnir posted:

I'll write one up when I get around to it, but the thread mostly seems to be about discussing fringe decks.

What? No. I would love to read first hand experience about top tier decks as well. I play Living End because I am a poor college student. I presume all of the talk of other fringe decks are related to budget concerns as well. So, if you have the means to play top notch decks, please tell us about them. It may convince us to start building toward those decks.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Shadow225 posted:

What? No. I would love to read first hand experience about top tier decks as well. I play Living End because I am a poor college student. I presume all of the talk of other fringe decks are related to budget concerns as well. So, if you have the means to play top notch decks, please tell us about them. It may convince us to start building toward those decks.

Personally I made a post about Top 8'ing a PTQ with Scapeshift and it seemed like it was thoroughly ignored for fringe deck talk so I kind of stopped following this thread.

VV I wasn't saying scapeshift was fringe at all? Actually I was saying literally the exact opposite?

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 15, 2013

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Considering Scapeshift was in the finals of GP Portland, I don't think the deck can really be considered "fringe" or even that rogue, to be honest.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jenx posted:

Considering Scapeshift was in the finals of GP Portland, I don't think the deck can really be considered "fringe" or even that rogue, to be honest.

I think that's his point. :v:

I alternate between R/G Tron, RWU Mid-Range and 4cc Gifts. They're all sick decks but I'm less fond of Tron than the other too. All 3 of them have been pretty successful in my area, but I'm looking very much forward to Modern Season again to really see how well they do (right now our modern tourneys are only about ten people since it's the off-season) because Standard royally sucks to me. I don't know which one I'll play when PTQ season starts up though, they're all really good and really fun.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
All the discussion about Jace not being used in Extended seems to ignore that he and Cawblade is the reason Modern exists. The first Modern PT was originally going to be Extended but it had more or less become Cawblade the format, so they made modern.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

threefive posted:

All the discussion about Jace not being used in Extended seems to ignore that he and Cawblade is the reason Modern exists. The first Modern PT was originally going to be Extended but it had more or less become Cawblade the format, so they made modern.

Well yes, but I never said that Stoneforge Mystic should be unbanned.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

threefive posted:

If there were no Modern and we had to play Extended, we wouldn't really be able to play Cawblade again since both Jace and Stoneforge are banned anyway: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=judge/resources/sfrextended

I think it was more about how new Extended loving sucks because it was just Standard Revisited: The Format where all the decks you hated in Standard get to come back. That first season was just people picking back up their Faerie and Jund cards. If that was the trend for the future, then nobody looked forward to it except the people who already liked playing those decks. (Hint: Me. I'm the one that played Faeries again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

ChewyLSB posted:

Personally I made a post about Top 8'ing a PTQ with Scapeshift and it seemed like it was thoroughly ignored for fringe deck talk so I kind of stopped following this thread.

VV I wasn't saying scapeshift was fringe at all? Actually I was saying literally the exact opposite?

Well, let me fix that.
I'm assuming that you're Curtis, as it's in Pennslyvania, and I know that you're a Steelers/Penn State fan.

1. Is the Clutch of the Undercity standard tech in the deck? I like that it fetches both Scapeshift and Cryptic. I assume that the Watery Grave is in to hard cast it, so how often does that come up?
2. Are Firespout, Sakura Tribe Elder, and to a lesser degree, Izzet Charm your only tools for holding aggro back? How does that work for you?
3. What decks are you strong/weak against? You mentioned that you were strong against Jund.
4. What can a deck do to you that just throws a wrench in your plan?

• Locked thread