Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir-Elysia

Mazir listened to his lieutenants speak, and nodded. They had few spell casters, but they needed to march soon. The army had been training ever since he had taken control and it was already composed of those tribesmen he had absorbed, their harsh life out in the sands giving them a life of training no other person had. Salima was correct, Harlakake was their first step in conquest. It was close enough to make conquest comparatively easy, it would be the march our of the area after that that would be the most difficult, though that would have to be a bridge Mazir would have to cross when they arrived.

Noding, he looked to his people. Very well, then make ready for the march. Assemble the soldiers, at first light tomorrow we march for Harlakake, but first I must adress them before we leave. Berel, you'll stay here and watch over the area and train more people. I'm sorry you can't come for this conquest, but I need someone strong enough to defend the area, and someone I can trust as well. Take the smallest amount of garrison you need, the rest will march. I have faith in all of you, we will succeed, we will bring the Sands to the world, and we will all increase our power! Make your final preparations!

With that they all dispersed. Mazir clasped his hands and went to his wardrobe. He found his black cloak and hood and draped them over hsi body. The time was at hand, soon they would begin the conquest and the spoils of war...the souls of the fallen, would be his.

After waiting a half hour, Mazir exited his house and approached the temple. The various peoples were scattered around, the golems stood silently as they always did. Approaching the steps, Mazir climbed them then turned to face his people. Spreading his arms, he spoke, his voice magically enhanced to boom across the settlement:

"PEOPLE OF THE SANDS! He bellowed THE TIME HAS ARRIVED, AT FIRST LIGHT TOMORROW, THE FORCES FO ELYSIA MARCH FOR HARLAKAKE! THE SANDS WILL POUR OVER INTO THE WORLD OF THE LESSER FOOLS AND THEY WILL FEEL THE BURDEN WE HAVE LONG CARRIED. FOR TOO LONG THE FOOLS HAVE GROWN COMPLACENT, CONFIDENT IN THEIR ABILITIES, AND LETTING FAT STUPID NOBLES DICTATE THEIR LIVES. I SAY IT'S HIGH TIME WE CASE THOSE NOBLES DOWN AND SHOW THEM REAL STRENGTH, LET THEM TASTE THE STRUGGLE FOR SURVIVAL WE FEEL CONSTANTLY, AND KNOW THAT OUT OF THIS CRUCIBLE COMES THE STRONGEST, THOSE WHO TRULY DESERVE THEIR POWER, AND THEIR LORD SHIP, NOT SOME FAT LORD WHO'S POWER COMES FROM THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF A GREAT GRANDFATHER!

WE HAVE TRAINED HARD FOR THIS DAY, AND WE WILL BE REWARDED, SPOILS, PLUNDER, SLAVES, POWER! ALL AWAIT THOSE WHO MARCH AND TAKE HARLAKAKE, THE FOOLS OF TAELESS KNOW NOTHING OF TRUE WAR AND HARDSHIP, THEY ARE CONTENT TO PLAY WAR WITH THEIR MOCK ARMIES AND COMBAT THAT TAKE PLACE OUTSIDE THEIR WALL LESS CITIES! HA, THEY POSSESS AN ARROGANCE UNDESERVED, IN A WORLD THAT THEY CHOOSE TO SEE RATHER THAN WHAT IT IS. IT IS TIME TO MAKE THEM SEE THE REAL WORLD, AND CAST THEM DOWN AND TAKE WHAT IT RIGHTFULLY OUR.

TOMORROW WE MARCH MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS, FOR GLORY! FOR POWER! FOR THE SANDS!

Making a speech to motivate my soldiers, then marching my army to take Harlakake.

[+4 Magic] Using magic to make my speech more impressive, such as making my voice louder and making fancy pyrotechnics to emphasis a point.

[+4 Intelligence] Hitting all the key buzz worlds that will generate excitement and boost morale.

[+2 Charisma] Using my own natural charisma as well to motivate my forces for the march and the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The Imperial Throne-room of Eosia

When Civar and Ilvis reach the part in their speech of "...This is not the time to fracture, to slay one another, or throw society into disarray and cause suffering for the common folk with a costly and dangerous war. This is the time to stand together! Join hands and make right the ills of this city, this Empire, the world!" Edo and the entire company of Magisters pop into existence in the throneroom. They see an Arandian knight, with a sword stained with burned blood standing over the burned corpse of their Emperor holding his sword into the air and crying out for Eosia to join them.

Things are going to go hectic here for a bit for all of you, so I am not going to tell you explicitly whether you succeed or fail, even though I will be rolling. You will all just get narrative.

Wilhelm (Arandia, Countryside around Minburg)

The people on the other side of the wall seemed confused by your attempts to help, which they responded with by hurling stones at you and your people. Before there had been fear in their eyes, but now there was a new and ugly emotion filling the air. Hate. Still your people were industrious and capable of working at night when they were not. The wall progressed quickly with your surreptitious aid and would be completed in a few weeks.

Success, although you learn something unsettling about the people around you that has changed.

Kovar (Taeless, Over-Sellos)

To Kovar time seemed to slow, his heartbeat became distant just as Burd's did. Slowly over the time it took for stars to fade away into nothing the beats aligned until there was one. Kovar could see through Burd's eyes, hear what he heard, even smell and feel what he did. He went deeper as he tightened the bond and he could feel faint beginnings of thoughts flicker around him, little seeds that would bloom into thoughts if not for Burd's meditative state. Deeper still he went, searching for that light he could see in the distance. He reached out for it slipping deeper as-

-He opened his eyes as he returned to his body with a shock. Burd looked at him and shook his head, shivering a little despite the day still being warm and comfortable. "No, you cannot go that deep. Not again." He says softly.

Success, you can link up with Burd for a while if need be, although you both need to be in synch and calm to do it right now.

Rathin Stonewill (Sun Plains, Gazelle Tribe Camp)

The woman, who seemed to be the chief's wife and wise woman of the tribe smiled. "She is friend to all who are kind and just Outsider. I thank you for your offer though, many hands make for quick work and all will be glad to have more time to rest." She says as the Orcs begin to move among the folk of the gazelle. "Her name was Unnaya, she said that she had received a wonderful gift two moons ago when the sky erupted with blue fire. Since then she has been able to move between bodies of water and conjure it from the ground or sky. I do not know where she went, but she said that if we called her name while reflected in a pool of clean water, that she would hear us."

The other Orcs of Rathin's tribe heard similar stories from the others. Although there was a degree of exaggeration to it most agreed that Unnaya was very beautiful and very kind. She had sensed great pain and suffering from afar and wished that at least some place in the world be a shelter for those with goodness and hope. As for the dinner it was not a thick stew, but it had enough herbs to make it taste well enough anyway. With so many gathered on such little notice the thinness of it was no surprise to anyone and so manners suggested none comment on it.

Success, you help out and find out more about Unnaya

Farro and Mazir (Elysian Sands, Elysia)

Farro and Lydia could hear a great cry from the temple as Mazir addressed the gathered army. Every word they could hear and the mighty roar of the army as they started chanting Mazir's name. The brand on Lydia's neck glowed a vibrant green as the people of the sands stirred to Mazir's words. For the first time everyone felt a bit of hope, hope that Mazir had a purpose and cause beyond simply enslaving them.

Then Farro struck the bond. Lydia gasped as it was severed and Mazir could feel the faint sense that something small, but important had been cut from him. Lydia looked wide eyed at Farro, then at her hands, then back to Farro. "You actually did it." She whispered, her voice full of awe, gratitude and fear. "What will we do now though? Wait until they have left, or try and run ahead? The iron and sand men do not move swiftly from what I have seen. If we were to hurry, we might be able to make it.

Successes on both accounts.

Octagon (Val Aman, Val Setin)

Octagon had been contemplating his new city. His people had seemingly rounded up the few surviving humans and were now trying to force them to breed. The humans were not taking well to their new status as livestock though, and for the time being the fresh meat his people needed would have to come from the animals they had raised. An inferior option, but one that would keep them fed until the human cattle understood their new role in the social order of Val Setin. A guard walked into the throne room and respectfully made a gesture of obsequience.

"Great One, there is a human at the gates who wishes to speak with you. She has two men with her who are not men. What shall we do with her?" The guard asks with a little apprehension.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 16, 2013

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo

It takes a few minutes to discuss how to cast a spell that could affect so many magisters at once, and a few minutes more to draw the necessary circles and wards, but soon the magisters and Edo are in the throne room. Edo knows he lacks the support of all the magisters who came with him, so he knew he had to act quickly. He decided it was time for a sign.

Summoning the light of the sun, he caused every single stained glass window in the throne room - one for every emperor since the empire's founding - to shine a beam of golden light directly upon himself. Where once he was difficult to look at, now he was blinding. The living spell shone too, moving to the magical spectrum visible only to those with the gift. Val simply stood impassively, arms folded across his chest.

"Get away from the emperor, Arandian." Edo's words boom out in the suddenly crowded room, enhanced by a minor spell of loudness. "How do we know you are not part of the demon's plot?" As he speaks, Edo walks slowly towards the pair, barely noticing the mechanical horse. "If you harm no one else, and the magisters and myself can cast the resurrection spell successfully, you might survive today. Choose carefully." Some of the magisters look unimpressed at that statement, but Edo isn't paying them much attention. The strange couple over the emperors body look too dangerous to worry about magisterial politics.

Divine sun +2 to shine prettily and possibly contribute to the body of evidence suggesting Edo must be in truth the son of Eosia's main god.

Cacto fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 15, 2013

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Beltheus

Beltheus observes Foruk Kohesh and his son. The father had the stench of failure all over him, and the son, while better, still did not serve Beltheus's children. But his son in the womb. . .his son had potential. He could be shaped. Smiling, he transforms himself into a handsome young man, glowing slightly with a soft light. He appears to the pregnant woman. "Greetings! Be not afraid! For the child in your womb has been blessed by the gods, and shall do great things!He stall restore your family to glory, and shall be long remembered in the city and the world. Know only that my master, the God Beltheus, is his patron, and raise him to love Lord Beltheus."

With that, he extends his hand and blesses the child with luck and charm. Then, he hears the Emperor of Eosia calling out to him in one final prayer, and he senses that the Emperor's soul has left his body and was crossing into his domain.

Blessing the unborn child with charm and luck. +2 Demonic Duke (+4 persuasion, if it fits)

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Adam - Under Sellos

Well, that was something.

He had taken more time getting the shaft of the axe ready than he thought, with the blade part of the axe coming easily from the steel he had lying around. It had taken considerable effort to keep himself from laughing manically during forging, as he reached into his spark of... better fighting? Weaponmastery? whatever it was that Kovar had thought him, to make the axe for Thadroin. He managed to keep it down to an uncomfortable giggle, that had Regalis (lightly balanced on one foot. Smooth left hand. Perfect side for tackle to ground. Chance to break ankle on the way down extremely high if enough pressure is applied) from the carver's shop down the street throwing him a rather odd look.

After completion, he looked down at his product, taking the moment to wipe the sweat off his brow and stare at it.

It looked... done? Ready? Sharp? He wasn't sure. Something seemed different. Like an extra fineness he couldn't remember adding to the mix. He reached down to pick it up and it felt good in his hands. Well balanced. A man's head could come clean off - if he could reach it. Which he would if he started lower and worked his way up. Perhaps he should test this out, after all, the local villages hadn't really said they were working with him to build a better Sellos, so why didn't he just walk in there and sort them out himself? They were only in the way. He'd be doing them a favour after all. Hell, while he was here, why limit it to just the neighbouring towns? He was on his way to the Sun Plains soon, why not just wipe the floor with each and every single village, town and city on his way there? He'd have to get Kovar's group to help, but if Kovar didn't mind, well, he'd make him change. Maybe start with that playboy Burd of his. You cut from the stem, then you get to the fruit. Thadroin wouldn't protest to a little bit of Axe Diplomancy, and with the way this was shaped, he could cleave the man straight in two, stone skin or...

He threw the axe with all his strength at the wall, and it embeded into it to the haft. His breathing speed up, and he sank to the floor, sweating again. It suddenly made sense what he had inherited. It wasn't that he had become an efficent killer - far from it. That would have been an easy enough issue to deal with. It was the sense of conquest he could feel - the words forming from his mouth before he could stop himself

"Conquer your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women."

Sacking land. Looting homes. Taking their belongings, their women, their children as his own to do what he wished as he saw fit. Crushing all who dare to fight him. Destroying everything that stood against him.

He had a new name for his strength. War.

He rose slowly, taking deep breaths, his eyes darkened. He knew how this worked now. What he could do with it. It scared him, but it was a part of him. Rejecting it would be as impossible as pretending he did not have eyes. He had make it a part of him, as he had done with his short stature and brilliant voice.

He turned to his anvil, and took a breath. Ignoring the axe in the wall, he moved to start making something new.

Action:
If we are to be conquers, we would need a banner of some kind. A telltale sign that we were a people, not a group of dudes just hanging out and being short. I'm going to make that Banner as a flag on a pole, so if we do go to battle, we have something to lead us with.
Dwarf (Divine) +2 = This will b the offical symbol of the dwarves. My people are here to stay
Leader (Divine) +2 = I will not be able to do this alone. I need not only people to help make the flag and design it, but a good enough symbol that when people see it, they know what we represent. Short dudes who make good stuff you would not mess with.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Over Sellos

quote:

Kovar: Still recovering from the shock of suddenly being back in only his own body, Kovar looks at Burd, surprised at the other's reaction, "Why? What happened?"

Burd: "Too deep. Too close. Any further and I'd stop being me. You'd stop being you. We'd be...I think we'd be inseparable."

Burd: "Just one thing that was once Kovar and Burd together."

Kovar: "That's... I don't know what to say."

Burd: "I know you didn't mean it Kovar, but you can't go that deep again."

***Burd is still visibly shaken by the experience.

Kovar: "I won't. I wonder why you sensed this coming merge, but I did not?"

Burd: "Something spoke to me, it warned me and that broke the link."

Burd: "I don't think it will help me again though."

Kovar: "Was it a voice, can you recall the sound of it?"

Burd: "A voice...yes, no. It was like a voice but not. It was more...as though it simply put the knowledge into me."

Kovar: "Hmmm... I wonder if it was the same one who spoke through you before?"

Burd: "I...couldn't say." Burd replies.

Kovar: "Anyhow, I think we should continue to work with this bond. We have reached it's greatest safe depth, but we can only even attempt it while we're both in meditation. To get the most out of it, we need to be able to access it instantly, regardless of our location. Do you feel up to continuing?"

Burd: "Not today, I think...I think I would like to be alone for a while sir. If that is okay."

Kovar: "Very well, but I hope we can make it a bit easier to get to the surface level of connectedness before I leave."

Burd: "Indeed. After something so incredibly and terrifyingly intimate though sir, I need to be alone and figure out who I am again." Burd says with a slightly odd expression.

Kovar: "I understand." Kovar pats him on the shoulder, "Eventually, I'd like to be able to communicate with you when Adam and I leave for his training. Also, eventually I think it might be possible for you to access my power to read the battlefield. For the moment though, let's call it a day."

Leaving Burd to meditate on his own outside of town, Kovar returns to the town center, just in time to see the dwarves finish the training yard. His lion, he had decided to name it Lehoia, after the word for it in the tongue of his homeland, perched itself on a nice raised platform near the center, and watched over the surroundings carefully.

Kovar quickly assembled the trainees, and moved right into training. So far, they’d been mainly focusing on basic fitness, and some simple drills, but their weapon-handling skills were still lacking. That would end today, and the new training yard had a large supply of wooden weapons they would use for training. That day and the next would be devoted to learning the basics of wielding a spear, the main infantry weapon, and Kovar turned all his years of experience into making sure the basics of it were burned inexorably into the memories of every recruit there.

However, he was aware of the limits of time, and so he very carefully attempted to release his power in waves, gently washing over the recruits and allowing them to train longer and harder than they’d be able to otherwise. He hoped that would allow them to at least master the basics of the weapon in time for his and Adam’s departure.

Training the Upper-Sellosian trainees on the basics of wielding a spear.

M: Experienced General[+4] - Kovar has worked with thousands of recruits in his time, he’s gotten the process down to a science.

D: Strength[+2] - Bolster the strength of the trainees, allowing them train longer and harder and faster than they’d normally be able to.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 16, 2013

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
Rathin Stonewill Sun Plains: Gazelle Tribe Camp

Rathin listens intently as the chief's wife explained about Unnaya. "Then do you have some water? I would like to speak to her as we share a common experience. I too was transformed when the sky turned blue. I became an Orc. My companions did as well in time. It's quite strange, but many strange things have been happening now days.

"I know water is hard to come by, but we can repay you in deed."

I want to convince the villagers to help me summon Unnaya so we can talk to her.

D: Orc [+2]: We will repay the Gazelle tribe for any materials we need and we're pretty impressive so they should know we're good for it. Also we have helped out in the camp already.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Farro Kapersi - Elysian Sands, Elysia
Update 9

Farro scowled at the sword in contemplation. He certainly didn't know anything about destroying enchantments or whatever that mark had been. The act had been more of an instinct - he had been thinking about how to remove the mark when he remembered the sword. Wait, that didn't sound right. No, he hadn't remembered the sword, he had reminded himself of it. As in, some other thing that was distinct from him but was still the same as him put the image of the sword in his mind? All in all, it was probably something very metaphysical and scholarly and introspective and why is he thinking about this he just heard a maniac godling declare war on Taeless!

"gently caress."

Farro slammed the sword home in the scabbard and turned to Lydia. "No, not a good idea. Even if we could outpace them, I don't have the supplies to get you back safely across the sands. Won't be able to procure them easily either, if Mazir's planning on marching his army he's going to have all that under his control. And if he was able to feel me cut that bond of his he's liable to be on the lookout for anything strange. Not that we'd be able to outrun a man who can control sand in a desert, in any case. No, we're taking a shortcut and hoping he won't be able to follow us without that mark on you. We're still operating on the 'just do what I say for now' principle, by the way. Follow me and let's put some boot to geographic rear end."

As he turned back to attempt the opening of another Arch, his mind raced in an attempt to figure out a solution to this little invasion problem. Mazir's army may not be massive in size, but he had too many factors in his favor: surprise, never-before-seen magic, the iron and sand men, and not least himself and whatever lieutenants he may have recruited. Harlakake didn't stand a chance. And who knew if the other armies of Taeless could stand up in a real war? Their mock battles could be bloody (hell, he'd fought in a few as a mercenary before) but they weren't the real thing. And if Mazir was gaining power by stealing the souls of the living, could he do it to those of the recently slain?

There were way too many questions and scant few answers to them. He was going to have to be crafty for this one.

Divine: Contracts [+2] to open another gate into Terminus (my demesne). This place is getting a little hot for us to be in if I'm supposed to be protecting the girl.

Conversation with Lydia added to my previous post now, for those who are following along.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 23, 2013

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir-The Elysian Sands

He basked in the glow as the people around him chanted his name over and over. The warm...no the sense of power was absolutely intoxicating. It was true, give them a little hope, a goal, an idea to strive for and they would leap at it. Harlakake would be the start of something amazing, something glorious an...

Suddenly he felt a sharp twinge, as though a small cut in his body had been made. Inspecting his arm, he saw no blood, it was difficult to sense as his mind raced, such things weren't incidental, they occurred for a reason, and if you couldn't see it physically then it usually was magical in nature. Racking his brain, Mazir though at incredible speeds until it dawned on him, someone had severed the magical bond between him and one of Elysia's inhabitants, and since all the mages capable of accomplishing such a feat were firmly under his thumb...

Standing tall, he looked across the city, his voice still amplified, he bellowed at the top of his lungs:

THERE IS AN INTRUDER IN OUR MIDST! he yelled, his voice carrying across the city SOMEONE WHO WISES TO TRY AND INTERFERE WITH OUT PLANS, TO STOP US FROM TAKING WHAT IS OUR AND MAKING THE SANDS COME ACROSS THE WORLD. LOOK TO EVERYONE YOU CAN SEE, SEE IF THEY HAVE THE MARK ON THEIR NECK, IF YOU FIND THEM, PRESS YOUR HAND TO YOUR MARK, AND IT WILL ALERT ME TO YOUR LOCATION! STOP THEM FROM FLEEING IF YOU CAN!

Looking across the breadth of the city, Mazir knew that since the caravans stopped, the odds of someone getting through the sands without an escort by the tribes was slim, and given that the bond was severed, it would require magic, therefore, someone use have used magic to enter his domain.

While his people scrambled about trying to find the intruder or intruders, Mazir clasped his hands and began to mumble several enchantments, he might not be able to fully stop a teleport or gate summon, but if he could delay it for long enough, his people could find the intruders and he could ride a wave of sand to their location. Holding out one hand in front of himself, he began to channel the spell, with the other, he placed a hand on a sand golem, if he needed, he would take it's soul and increase the power of the blocking spell.

While waiting to get a fix on the location of the intruders via my people and their bond with me, I'm casting a spell to try and block telepotation or gate summons in my city.

[+4 Magic] Channeling my magical powers into this spell to try and stop the intruder or intruders from escaping.

+2 Divine: Soul Magic I have my hand on a sand golem, if need be I'll sacrifice it to super charge this spell and increase it's chances if I feel like it's not going to work.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Val Aman, Val Setin

A visitor? Bizarre. Who would come upon one of his Arrani and then ask to speak with their leader? One way to find out.

At the Gate... posted:

<Rhjamiz> Octagon would like to clarify something with the guard first; "When you say that this woman is asking to speak with me, do you mean that she has asked for the leader of this city, or did she ask for me specifically?"

<Nenji> "When she saw us, she asked to see our master."

<Rhjamiz> "Ah, very well. Two men who are not men? Curious. Let us see what there is to see."
<Rhjamiz> Octagon then goes to the gates to speak with this girl.

<Nenji> She is wearing a strange red assortment of clothes which looks like a girl's impressions on what elegant clothes might look like.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon looks not nearly so elegant. He could probably do with a wardrobe upgrade. In any case, the Spider Lord peers down at the small girl and her curious companions, whatever they are. Were it not for the strange visitation of the one from the church, he might not be meeting with her at all. "I am the master of this land; to whom do I speak?"

<Nenji> "You may call me Red." She says with a somewhat unearthly smile.

<Rhjamiz> "Very fitting. And what brings you and your companions to this city?"

<Nenji> "Oh I'm not there, just my pets."

<Rhjamiz> "Uh-huh. Your pets?"

<Nenji> 'Red' gestures to the two men. They are wearing torn and unkempt clothes, don't really look up a lot and have strange collars made out of what appear to be brambles.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon glances between the two of them. "They seem well-behaved. What is their purpose here?"

<Nenji> "Hmm, I didn't want them hanging around. Wolves are nasty like that you know." She says as if you understood completely whatever she is talking about. "Also it meant that if people were naughty and attacked me they would die. I like to be a nice Queen, but it's a crime to attack the Queen and I was taught that laws are very important. Even my Rooster says
<Nenji> so."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon steeples his fingers in a moment's contemplation. "I see. Your... rooster is very wise. Although, I am afraid that for the time being, the city is closed to visitors. Renovations."

<Nenji> "Are spiders good at renovating?"

<Rhjamiz> "Quite good, yes."

<Nenji> "What happened to the people here? Where did all the spiders come from?"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon stares at Red curiously. "Most of the became spiders."

<Nenji> "Really? That's odd. Where did you come from?"

<Rhjamiz> "Taelos. But I live here, now."

<Nenji> "Are there spider people in Taelos?"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon shakes his head. "No. There are no spider people there."

<Nenji> "So you weren't a spider person before?"

<Rhjamiz> "No. Were you always a Queen?"

<Nenji> "Well I didn't think so, but apparently you have to be born into it so perhaps I was a princess."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon merely nods knowingly. "Perhaps. And what are Queen of? Does your land have a name?"

<Nenji> "Well, that's why I came here. But apparently the king is dead so I guess that makes me the Queen of Val Aman now."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon ahas. "I see. Well, that complicates things somewhat. While you are welcome to Val Aman itself, this city belongs to me."

<Nenji> "Okay." Red says as if this doesn't bother her in the slightest.
<Nenji> "If you have any people left you should let me check them for wolves though."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon raises an eyebrow. "Wolves, you say. How dangerous are these wolves?"

<Nenji> "They're sneaky. They get into people and cause trouble. They've been chasing me for a while but now they have to do what I say. But you can't trust a wolf." She says and there is a disturbingly hard and insane glint in her eyes at that comment.

<Rhjamiz> "Disturbing. Should I find any wolves, I shall have them sent to you for..." He glances at the collars. "... obedience training."

<Nenji> One of the men looks up and almost snarls at that comment. Then he looks surprised at what he has done, and looks down again.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon gives the 'wolf' a curious glance before peering down at Red once more. "Should I have message for your court in the future, where would I send it?"

<Nenji> "Oh send it to Val Heysus. If your messenger gets lost one of the treemen will help him."
<Nenji> "Do spider people have boys and girls?"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon nods. "We do, yes."

<Nenji> "Well then. Let's have a tea party." Red says with a smile and makes a gesture with her hand. Out of thin air a stool and a table hop down on to the ground. It is followed by a tea set and a plate of biscuits.
<Nenji> "I am not sure what a spider sits on." She says apologetically, waiting for Octagon to fill in the blank

<Rhjamiz> Octagon stared down at the tea set. This was beginning to get out of hand. With luck, it would not last much longer. It was clear that this... girl was, well, not like him. But certainly comprable. He crouched down in what might be a stand-in for sitting. "We crouch, really. This will do fine. Though I must return to my duties, soon. I am sure you understand."

<Nenji> "Then just one cup of tea and biscuit then." She says confidently and smiles as she seats herself on the cushioned stool

<Rhjamiz> "Very well," said Octagon as he peered down at the dainty tea set.

A 'pleasent' tea party ensues, much to Octagon's chagrin. It is over mercifully quickly, however, as a single cup of tea and one biscuit do not last long. Sadly, the food and drink are wasted on Octagon; his tastes are of a different sort.

Once the tea party was finished and Red was out of sight, Octagon turned to the nearby guard, nodding as he passed, "Inform the others; that girl is extremely dangerous and possibly insane. If she turns up again, under no circumstances should you provoke her." From there, Octagon eventually made his way to the Holding Pens, having been working on a solution to food problem.

At the Human Pens... posted:

<Nenji> Red was having a look around the pens. She seemed to jump over fences and the such that humans should not be able to.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon manages to hold in that exasperated sigh as he spots Red. "Any wolves hiding there?"

<Nenji> "No, I haven't spotted any. You seem to be all clear!" She says with a contented smile.
<Nenji> The people living in misery and squalor did not seem to bother her in the slightest.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon is once more pleasently surprised at the girl's uncaring demenor. "That is fortunate, indeed."

<Nenji> "Okay, we're going to go looking for more wolves now. Bye bye Mr. Spider man!"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon manages a bow of some sort. "Fare thee well."

Octagon watched as Red went her own way, where-ever that was, before turning his attention back upon the people. They were ill-suited for farming and livestock. Too willful. They would be rebellious, troublesome, and watched very carefully. But, as with all things, that could change. Who better to mold these pitiful wretches into something far more useful to the Arrani than he? Separating out a little more than half of the humans in the pens, he put them aside for further testing. The rest would be reshaped into an ideal breeding population of Arrani foodslaves. They would need a name, but for the moment, it didn't matter. The fear and terror of these captive humans made little impression upon the Spider Lord as he focused his Divine Will upon them, reaching out with his power...

I am separating out a group of people (a little under half the total number) of the humans to turn into breeding stock; Transformation [+2] is obvious. Toxins [+2] shall also be used. The changes are as follows;
  • Domestic Humans are to be very susceptible to Arrani venom. The merest scratch or spit or bite should easily and almost immediately incapacitate them.
  • Decrease in their average intelligence and memory.
  • Instill a natural docility and servility.
  • Greatly decrease gestation periods and physical maturation time.
  • Increase in number of offspring per pregnancy.
  • Lifespan of 25 years; for those 25ish years a gland very much like an appendix will have been producing and accumulating a toxin. At the end, it bursts, rendering the domestic human permanently comatose.
  • If possible, I will gift them with a proclivity toward gardening and farming.
  • They should breed true with regular humans; a human and... domesticated human pairing should produce domesticated humans. This should allow injection of new stock without the need for further transformation or micromanagement from me.
Basically, I am turning them into ideal farm stock and slaves; easily controlled, mostly self-maintaining, docile, and quick to breed. Cow People. Sheeple. Additionally, regardless of the original gender distribution of the group, the final result will be one ideal for getting the most out of a breeding population (whatever that is). If that means Robert becomes Roberta in the course of my alterations, well then too bad!

Their foodstuff comes next.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 17, 2013

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Sorry Cacto, until puppies or LLSix post I'm going to have to put you on hold.

Beltheus (Taeless, Taelos)

The woman was surprised by Beltheus' benediction, but she smiled a little and said; "Thankyou, I'm not sure who Beltheus is but these are strange times and I am sure that we can use any blessings we can get." It seemed that she did not quite believe what she had been told, but the seeds had been sown. When her son started to experience such good fortune in life she would remember this moment, and who she owed thanks to. When the child would be born, he would have a curious birthmark and sometimes people would comment that when he was angry his eyes would seem to flash red for a moment. But his luck was undeniable and although no-one would figure out where the saying came from, he was said to have the 'Devil's own luck'.

Beltheus for his part felt a change in himself as he did so. Working with such a pure and simple soul, he realised that his own powers had grown since his transformation. Although it took time, he was starting to increase his influence and the amount of souls under his control. In particular the conflict in Eosia was providing to be a great source of power. But now Beltheus realised that in future it would be far simpler and easier for him to affect good fortune in his followers.

Success, Beltheus gains the Divine Trait Good Luck [+2].

Adam (Taeless, Under-Sellos)

Working with fabric was not something Adam was familiar with, but there were those among the families in Under-Sellos who were skilled with it and were eager to help. Even despite his recent peculiarities. The design Adam settled on was a simple on, something that summed up what the Dwarven nation was in a single image. There was a mountain, with an axe and a hammer crossed above it. The mountain represented their home, something stable and unchanging. The axe represented the strength and determination of Dwarves everywhere to stand up for what was theirs and to fight fiercely for it and their home. Finally the hammer represented the craftsman in all of them, the underlying spark to work and create. Thadroin asked mildly if Adam would be creating a coat of arms yet, as that was popular in the rest of Taeless, and in Arandia he had heard. They were easier to put onto shields after all.

Then Adam felt something in him, a kind of euphoric rush. It was not power, exactly, more like a fulfilment of part of himself. Elsewhere in the world people were preparing for war and conflict had already begun. It resonated with him and felt good, just like he felt when he sat down and worked in the forge or lead people.

Success, Adam creates a symbol to unite the Dwarves under.

The training was not a disaster, but compared to his work with Adam the recruits were disastrously slow to learn. They did not seem to properly understand about controlling the area around them and about leading into attacks. Instead they focused too much on one area or their moves were too obvious. All in all it seemed clear that they would need to continue working with the spear to become more familiar with it, which made his work with Burd even more important. As for strengthening them, well there was no obvious changes from his influence that Kovar could see.

Failure, while you make standard basic progress and the fitness regime is having effects, you are unable to influence a sudden leap in skill and strength at this time.

Rathin (Sun Plains)

The chief shakes his head at your request. "While you have been most hopeful, we cannot spare our water. You understand it is our life blood. If you have been to the oasis recently, you should enough to spare. Only to save another life could we make such a risk, I am sorry Rathin Stonewill." It seems that they are unwilling to part with their water for such a thing, which Rathin can understand. Outside of the wet season water was a precious resource that could rarely afford to be squandered.

Failure, the chief is unwilling to share his water. However you do have your own.

An opposed check posted:

Opposed Roll: Attack: 2d6+2 14
Defence +2 Divine: 2d6+2 8
When doing opposed checks I am just counting Divine against Divine, and Mortal against Mortal.

Farro summoned the Gate and bound this location to it, but as he went to walk through it with Lydia something in the air changed. Mazir's spell activated and both were suddenly bound to the ground of the place metaphysically. It was not a spell that literally bound them, but Farro found that he could not touch it. The man, Mazir, clearly knew they were there. Mazir on the other hand was not sure where they were yet, but could feel his spell snare something.

Octagon looked over his work. It had been successful in part but there had been, complications. Those that he had taken aside had been changed. They had all been young and he'd had to reset a few biological clocks as well to get it all to work. Their average intelligence and their memory for things outside of basic tasks was diminished, and furthermore they would all be very vulnerable to any toxins that bore Octagon's trait which included any Arrani as well. The children of this base stock would grow quickly, maturing to physical adulthood within a year and their mental and social development would mirror this, simple as they were.

However there was a catch. For every toxin there was an anti-toxin and as Octagon knew, it usually came from the source of the toxin.

Every generation a number of the Herd would be born free of Octagon's influence. They would mature at the same rate, but they were freed from the diminished life-span, the diminished intellect and memory that affected their kin. But even worse than that, was to any Arrani toxin that was not made by Octagon or one invested suitably with his power they would be immune. As long as they did not show any signs outwardly of this as well it would be almost impossible for the Arrani to detect.

His task finished, Octagon turned the Herd back into the pens with troubled thoughts.

Failure, however this was too good of a roll to simply fail on so I'm giving you quirks and conditions on it. As a result, you have your Herd, but every generation some of them will be free from your thralldom and if given the chance will escape.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wilhelm - Minburg, Arandia

Hatred and spite in its purest form is something easy to spot, though it is so long ago that Wilhelm had felt such things. It always used to be irritation or minor annoyance with those he was working with, but if he sees such things as his people would he think the same as these ones?

Perhaps, but it is not worth pressing the issue. It is clear that Minburg is no longer welcome, and that the wall that now stands erect is meant to contain Minburg. It is a border drawn, but it is one of advantage to a community still in a larval state. Make the nation a paradise within, and when it is ready to hatch the walls will fall.

Wilhelm is going to use Insect Lord +2 and Hivemind Usurper +2 to direct an effective improvement of the lands within the walls. Create and efficient, fertile, and prosperous farmland around Minburg and turn it into a communal paradise for the bug-people and their minor cousins that they work with.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Wilhelm (Arandia, Minburg)

When Wilhelm went to help his people with making the farms, he found himself possessed of a new power. Working in the fields seemed to have given him the strength to simply work the earth itself. As he looked at the ground and willed it to be tilled, the very soil parted and churned until it had done so. More than that, when there were rocks Wilhelm turned his mind to them and the rock simply seemed to crumble into dirt itself. The mindlink he shared with his people was filled with their joyous cries and admiration for his power, which when the time came, would help them topple the wall between them and the outside world.

Succes, additionally Wilhelm gains the Divine Trait Earth [+2]

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Over-Sellos

The training did not go as well as Kovar had hoped, these Sellosians had the heart, but they were not the best students Kovar had ever trained. There were however a few who seemed to be picking things up a bit faster than the others, and when Kovar approached them and mentioned special training, they knew exactly what he was talking about. A few were hesitant, a few eager, but they all showed up the next day, carrying large bags. When they changed out of most of their clothes, and Kovar saw inside one of the bags that they had packed huge sheet like tunics, Kovar knew he had picked the right people.

So, with just a basic introduction, he began to run them through some exercises, and once they'd gotten into the rhythm of things, Kovar steadied his breathing and returned to the meditative state he'd been in when he'd first changed Burd. This time however, after all that had happened, he'd gained a greater grasp on the powers he was working with. So, as he visualized the change coming over the students before him, he tapped into the place of strength within him and began to focus it on the candidates. While at the same time, he reached for the insight and vision within him, pouring over ten thousands potential battles in an instant and pulling them along with him, in order to grant them the soldierly mentality he'd granted to Burd, the kind that normally had to be won with blood and tears.

So, with all his power and vision he worked to transform these new candidates in hopes that they might be better able to lead and train the others, and to offer them the chance to survive should war ever come to this place. It had been so peaceful here, and a part of him wondered with all that had happened if that peace could truly last.

Making me some more super-soldiers. Gonna call them Exalted because of something from the Exalted thread that struck a chord.

D: Strength[+2] - To make their bodies more than human, the strength to survive and succeed on the battlefield, the same strength that Burd gained.

D: Divine Strategy[+2] - To share his insight into battle, and to impart upon them the fruits of that insight, the calm and soldierly demeanor that normally only a seasoned veteran can possess.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon furrowed his brow in a manner of speaking, staring at his new creations. Something wasn't quite right there. They would bear further watching, but otherwise they would have to do. If all went well, they would have a sizable food population and labor force for export, should any nation somehow wish to trade with the Arrani. But those were matters for another time. More importantly, what was he going to feed these louts? The Arrani weren't going to farm corn for them, that's for certain. They needed something... else. Something they could farm themselves. A simple fruit for a simple people.

The Spider Lord bent over and plucked a pair of seed pods from a local weed that grew near the pens. Weeds grew well enough without constant tending. This would make them a fine base for his own needs. He formed a fist around those pods, and once more brought forth his Divine Will...

I'll be renaming my city and country officially (with a big speech maybe) as soon as the ~time is right~

I am creating a new 'crop', called a Chuma plant. The fruits will be called chumas. It doesn't really need to be farmed since it will hopefully grow everywhere but farming it certainly doesn't hurt; Transformation [+2] is obvious. Toxins [+2] shall also be used. The changes are as follows;
  • Grows like a weed, requiring minimal sunlight and water but thriving when it has access lots of both.
  • Its fruits are nutritious enough to sustain humans without needing other foods.
  • It has an effect identical to marijuana. Eating it gets you stoned. Eating a lot of it gets you really loving stoned.
It's a fruit that gets you baked, but it's also all you really need, food-wise. Also it grows pretty much anywhere so even the dumbest of people will be able to cultivate it. Which is important if you're dumb and stoned all the time. I'll scatter one to the wind and another near the pens.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Ilvis (Eosia, Eisos- Throne Room)

"You're going to WHAT?!"

Caught by surprise at Edo's statement I stop and lower my Sword.

"Raise him from the dead? Are you listening to yourself? If this is a joke, it is in spectacularly poor taste. I know you, Edo Blackwater. I saw you and your deeds in the reflection of Johrset's heart. It was you, your 'miracles' which drove the wedge further between the Emperor and his people, that left him cornered and powerless to the point where he sold himself and his throne to the service of a demon."

"And you want to raise the dead? How is that not a complete and utter violation of the natural order of the world? Are there no consequences or metaphysical repercussions of such an act?"

Sorry for holding things up, Cacto, Nenji, LLSix. I got really caught up suddenly with work stuff.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Civar "Good Guy by Authorial Decree, even though he kicks puppies" Kit'An (Eosia, Eosis, throne room, throne dais)

I felt power gathering around the newcomer and reached out to counter it. This didn't have to come to blows, but I certainly wasn't going to wait around and maybe get sucker-punched because I didn't know quite what he was doing. Most of these guys seemed to be using fire-magic, so a little cold and wet should shut him down nicely. I didn't agree entirely with what Eisner was saying, but I wasn't sure yet how far I could stretch my new powers. So I stood mutely and focused on wrapping the newcomer in dense, clammy clouds.

D: Countering Edo's sunlight with clouds
Weather +2
Order +2 to align the air inside the cloud so his light is muffled instead of lighting it up
I really hope I don't lose this roll and give Edo rainbows instead

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Update 10

The skin around his ankles bristled. It felt a lot like he'd stepped into a snare, provided it was some kind of creepy ethereal ghost snare which wasn't physically there. In any case, neither Lydia nor him could step into Terminus through the Arch he had summoned.

"When it rains it pours..." Farro looked down and stroked the back of his neck in contemplation. Whatever it was, this was beyond him. He could tell at a glance that he wouldn't be able to target this the same way as he had the mark: while the mark was widespread and therefore sort of metaphysically thin, this was clearly targeted and much more resilient. And now the whole drat city was going to be looking for the only two (he assumed the only two, anyways) heads without a mark on them. So they'd have to do something about that.

"Alright Lydia, time for plan C, which is plan A but with an angry demigod trying to find us. I'm going to try to simulate that drat mark on us. We'll hide in plain sight until dusk and then make our way out into the desert. I've got enough water for two days if we ration it, and we'll try getting out of the range of whatever spell the bastard just put on us. Just stay with me and follow my lead."

He closed his eyes and drew once more on the power of his contract to protect Lydia. He was pretty drat sure that any normal contract wouldn't supply this kind of juice, at least not at his current level of power. But there was something about Elice's sacrifice that had made this one incredibly potent.

Using Divine: Contracts [+2] to create a faux Mark on both himself and Lydia to emulate the real thing. I imagine it'll be enough to fool everyone excluding Mazir himself and his lieutenants. I suppose that'll depend on how well the roll goes. Also using Mundane: Charismatic Leader [+4] to appear as someone taking initiative and hunting down the interlopers as Mazir has requested.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 23, 2013

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

An Opposed Check posted:

Opposed Roll: Attack: 2d6+4 12
Opposed Roll: Defence: 2d6+2 8

The Imperial throne-room of Eosia

Some of the courtiers yelled at Eisner. "You slay our Emperor and now forbid his glorious return as unnatural? As a crime, when you yourself slew him?!? Silence heretic! Murderer!" At that point Edo began to shine with the radiance of the sun, but Civar looked at him and the light began to crackle a little. As this occurred, mist began to rise form the ground to form a swirling miasma that obscured sight in the room. As this happen Ajikan cried out into the dimness; "Word from the border! The Arandians are invading, a force lead by one named Ser Daveron is making their way through the south!

There was the crackle of building energy in the room again, it seemed like utter chaos was mere moments from breaking out.

Kovar stood before his newest Exalted. They lacked the same spark as Burd, or quite the same brilliance as Jusep or Barbara, but they would definitely do for now and they would far surpass any regular militiaman. They calmly got dressed into their new clothes and waited to see if Kovar had any further orders for them.

Success, you get an average batch of Exalted as the dice were right on the mark for this

Octagon finished his work and opened his hands. To the naked eye the seeds remain unchanged, but Octagon could see the potential within these clearly. They would grow easily he was sure, feeding his people and further keeping them docile. There might be the issue of them not affecting those resistant, but he did not know if they would also not provide nutrition for them either. If not it would make weeding them out, so to speak, much easier. He planted a couple in the pen where the Herd and humans were kept, blowing the rest of the seeds to the wind.

Success, additionally you rolled well so you have created a horrible weed that is going to spread really far. Congratulations you monster.

Farro Kapersi

Lydia nodded grimly and he reached out with his power. There was a faint echo of the mark on her, as well as the memory of it. That would be enough for what he needed to do. Farro worked his power and duplicated the mark, it was temporary and would work in the same way but unbeknownst to the other people around them, it connected Farro and Lydia, instead of connecting them to Mazir. They walked out of their rooms into the ruckus and found that others shared their curiosity. A closer look revealed a curious and frightening kind of morbid interest and anger in the faces of others. The pair worked to duplicate it as they moved out.

A higher ranked mage was working his way through the crowd, which gave Farro pause. He had the power to possibly sense there was no soul magic behind the mark! Trembling inside he waited in earnest. When the mage passed over them, stirring the mark he did not call out. It seemed that he was too busy to do a thorough check. "You should return to your rooms faithful." He said chidingly to them, only to blink for a moment when Farro mentioned he was searching as well. "Go towards the pools then." He said distractedly. "There are few searchers there and they will be glad for your aid."

Success, you manage to get past the first check at least giving you some time to move around.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Over-Sellos

Kovar looks at the new Exalted, standing at attention like any experienced soldier would, "I selected you for this change because you are brightest stars among the trainees. Training is at the stage where the need for squads is going to develop, and you will be the leaders of those squads. You were already the fastest learners, so the need for you to continue to excel is stronger than ever. You've also been granted the continence and emotional fortitude most soldiers only earn by surviving the battlefield. I want you to help share what you can of that with your squads."

"As squad leaders, it'll be your job to mold your squads into cohesive wholes. The people under your command will be your responsibility, their lives are in your hands. So, I want you to do your very best to help make sure that they'll survive if and when this army we're building has to see combat. I'll be doing everything in my power to do the same, but I'll be relying on you as well. Burd and myself will continue with general training when we're able, but we'll also begin to set apart more and more time for you to train your squads yourself. In any army the chain of command is important. I'll expect you to follow my orders, and your squads should follow your orders. I'll leave discipline in your hands as well, but if you feel a trouble-maker needs my personal attention then send him to me. By the same token, if you feel someone in your squad is worthy of being Exalted, as you are, then recommend them to me as well."

"Now, don't worry about going into this cold. For the next few days Burd will be handing the regular training of the trainees, while you will be undergoing some basic officers training with me. Then Burd and I will begin to write up the squad rosters, and I'd like to be able to include you in the process." Kovar sends them off, with orders that they were to report to him bright and early the next morning to begin their training.

That night he reminisced about his own training all those years ago and all the officer's he'd trained since, his successes and his failures. As he did, the insight he had gained on the night of the Starfall was running at full power, taking apart every detail, identifying what worked, why, and how to amplify the effect in less time. By morning he had the best crash course in officer training he'd ever written. He just hoped it would be enough, as ever time was short, and he had a lot to teach them.

Teaching the new Exalted the basics of being squad leaders. A crash course, boiled down from many many officer's Kovar has training and his own training(M: Experienced General[+4]), and filtered through his ability to divinely analyze military matters(D: Divine Strategy[+2])

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo, throne room, Eosia

Edo stares Ilvis down as the man questions his miracles. "If healing people and seeking justice for the poor and the suffering is evil in Arandia, I think it's time you went back there. As for resurrection, Valamnis has no greater gift for his children than to be reborn in his light; it is my duty as his son to use my gifts to heal those in need. If the emperor worships demons, I think he will welcome returning to life that he may repent of his wickedness. I would not condemn him to an eternity in hell even if you would."

Edo realises there's something distinctly odd about Ilvis. The life that flows through him is warped, as if at some stage it was altered dramatically to change his nature. Yet there is no indication that this occured through magic. That and Civar's ability to resist Edo's power gives him a revelation.

Edo turns to the magisters, frowning as the mist begins to hide and distort the presences of the others in the room. "These two are the children of Arandia's gods! They must have come here sensing weakness. We must -"

Ajikan's words cut through like a knife. "Aid me, magisters!" he shouts. "We must capture the assassins before they can escape to rejoin their master!"

Edo frantically calls down more power from the sun, weaving it with flows of magic to form an impenetrable barrier around the two godlings and their bizarre horse. There's a welcome surge as he feels mortal magic supplement his flows, and he spares a thankful smile for those who help him. Nonetheless, he works as quickly as he can, trying to finish before the assassins can start cutting down magisters or destroy the emperor's body.

Using Divine Magic +2 and Divine Sun +2 to coordinate magically with the magisters to bind the interlopers in a dome of light and magic. Not seeking to do any harm with this action except limiting the ability to run away/move/attack anyone else, but the less friendly magisters may have different ideas.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Adam - Under-Sellos

It was a slow start.

The banner was being constructed at Bridgette's - a weaver from a town two stops back that had come to Sellos to see the mines for herself, and stayed for, as she put it 'men who needed a real woman to keep them in check' - hovel when it first started to come to him. A euphoric rise from somewhere deep in his chest. He at first mistook it to be his excitement for creating a banner, and as his workers finished, he threw a wild grin, exclaiming "Dat's da bludy way ta do't!" before grabbing Bridgette by the backside and planting a giant kiss on her lips.

Naturally her reaction of slapping him in the face got an expected round of applause, utterly overshadowed by the one that came when she grabbed him back and did the same. He made a mental note to ask her for that pumpkin pie that she boasted about to anyone with an ear when he got back from the Sun Plains.

He had started walking out from hovel, already feeling the rush starting to overcome his senses, when Thadroin asked his question. "Aye," he answered with a fierce grin. "Let's bbe havin' the others be wornin on that lad... in fact... let's be gathering all the lads by the forge. I gots me something ta say."

He headed to the forge first, and upon his third daintly skip, he began to realise that something was affecting him. Something not exactly right. He paused, taking the time to head out to the night sky, and closed his eyes.

It fully came to him then. a sense of strength, preparation, loyalty, swordmanship, heroes and villans, warriors and squires, emperors and healers, demons and angels. He couldn't help salivate, his eyes rolling back, intoxicated at the sense of War around him. He couldn't pinpoint exactly who were the culprits, not did he want to. It was strong enough to over-run him, and if he was not careful, he might declare war himself and stride into battle just to get a taste of what he was feeling now.

No..., he thought. That's not right...

Adam had had enough of resisting this urge to kill, to maim, to conquer, to crush. He was rejecting a part of him that was so strong it had caused him to stand outside in the freezing cold with just a tunic and pants on staring at the stars. To create an axe that broke sworn oaths and pit brother against brother. This was not a problem, or a crushing fault. This was a power, another spark that he had been blessed with. Resisting it or trying to contain it was pointless. He had to use it. Take it as part of his own like he did when he became three feet shorter and could command a bunch of miners to build a home underground. He was stronger than this power, but if he did not take it in, it would destroy him.

He closed his eyes, took a breath, and let himself enjoy the moment of what was happening to him.

It may have been bad.. but drat it felt good.

When he came back into the hovel, meeting people at the forge, fe felt different. He was still Adam, thwho was scared of making a big deal and being the centre of attention, but he was also Adam, Leader of the dwarves, and possibly ultimate killing demon. And there was nothing wrong with that.

"Friends, dwarves, people of the earth, lend me your ears." He paused, smiling a ittle at his statement. That was a good way to start a speech. He concentrated on keeping his voice the same as he continued.

"For so long, we have been living here. We've made ourselves a home, we have a plan, and we can thrive thanks to all our efforts and work. But sometime, sometime soon if we are really unlucky, someone is going to come over and try and take that away from us.They may come saying they want us to craft for them and themselves only, and will put up quite a fuss when we say no. Thay may just be not very nice people who want our mountain. They may just not like dwarves. When I started this, when I called you all in here and told you what I wanted to do, I was not kidding when I said I would protect you. And that I will do. But if we are going to be able to do that with just us and the giants from Over-Sellos. We need more people, more handymen. More carvers. More forges. More of Sellos needs to be built.

So, I am going to go on a pilgrimage. I will go to the cities, the towns, the villages from here to the Sun plains. I will find people who want to make something more of themselves than just be slaves to the system, I will send them here, and I will ask you to train them, show them our ways, and if they decide to become one of us, you will know when they wake up and their clothes no longr fitit has to be a decision only they can make, so don't force them into it, but the minute they do, we all become brtohers. Brothers who sometimes fight, who laugh, who know how to live and work with each other. And if that isn'twhat being a dwarf is, then I honestly do not know what I've been doing wrong in the past few moons.

I will not be too long, and the stories you may hear of me on my journey may be a little bit exaggerated, but always remember, that no matter how far I go, I will always come if you send for me.

In the meantime, for as long as I am gone, Thadroin, I leave my people to your judgement. You are a strong man, and you have been with me since practically the beginning. I trust you and know you will do our people right.

TTonight, we shall build a set of armour and weapon for you people, heck, if someone knows what the bloody heck a coat of arms for each dwarven group should be, you help me out here. I barely managed to come up with a flag as it was!

Until then, prepare yourselves lads. We'll be getting newcomers soon. Prepare the outer hovels, for when they come, and keep your ears to the ground for any news of me. Remember, no matter where in the world we go, as long as we stand on the gearth beneath us, we are connected. Till then, well... uh... well.. Stay dwarves!"

And with that, he went to work.

Action. time to arm my people. This is my last or so night before I try and prove to the world that dwarves exist, so its time to make a set of armour for the dwarven families according to what each group wants, so in case some punk decides to come raid us, we will be ready.

All divine:
Dwarf (+2): Wel.. obviously.
Leader(+2): this is for my people, I can't make it ALL myself, butif everyone pitches in, especially with the feeling of war around me, I should be able to get through a a crapton of them for the families. I will just have to work all night!
War (+2): Weapons of power, armour of defense, shields of Valor, etc. LEt's not make another one of at Axe that I haven't named yet though eh?

Note, my computer at work doesn't let me see my bloody text when I type, so lets hope this makes sense!

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Rathin Stonewill Sunplains Gazelle Tribe Camp.

It was disappointing to Rathin that the tribe would not like to help, but he understood their plight. However, if he were to use his own water, then they might as well go back to the oasis anyway. Before they went though, might as well see if anyone would go with him.

He walked out to the middle of the camp and tipped over a sturdy bent-wood bin and stood on top of it, "People of the Gazelle tribe, hear me! I am Rathin Stonewill, Lord of the Orcs! We are fearless fighters, masters of the forge, and possess an indomitable spirit.

"I thank you all for your hospitality, and hope that through our labors we have repaid in kind. We are leaving now but before we go, we will setup a small camp for the night just down south. If you wish to join us, then come to the camp and let us taste of your blade, you will spar with us, and should your will be true, you may join us and be a gatherer no longer! You will become a hunter!

"You will see the world, learn it's ways and whys, we will show you how to keep yourself well fed, well learned, and well trained. You may come for only as long as you will. I await your decision at our camp, and may the sands guide you." Rathin hopped down off the crate and gathered his Orks.

They walked a ways south and setup camp, he looked at Vek, "Think they will come?"

"Eh? Some always do, but it's a hard life. We shall see." Vek spoke somewhat hopefully.

Going to try and recruit some of the Gazelle tribe to become Orcs.

D: Orc[+2]: Being an orc is pretty impressive.
D: Heart of the Tiger[+2]: To speak with passion and vigor.
M: Warrior [+4]: To impress the villagers and spar with them if they come to his camp. Non-lethally of-course and using practice weapons.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar "Why am I here again?" Kit'An (Eosia, Eosis, throne room, throne dais)

I sent my thoughts winging silently towards Ilvis via the Raven's Claw emblems we carried. "I don't think we're going to be able to find Beltheus with the whole city chasing us, or while trying to take control. We should leave them to pick up the pieces. Take the emperor's body and see what Daveron thinks he's playing at. Edo was hunting Beltheus earlier, so there's at least a chance he'll seal up the rift if he finds it."

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 23, 2013

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir-Elysian Sands

As his withdrew his hand from the sand golem, Mazir felt a small bit of pride as he felt his spells magic permeate through the settlement, he could still sense the aberration within his lands, it hadn't left yet, which meant the spell worked, the quarry was trapped.

Yet he was still having difficulty focusing in on the location, his magisters were scrambling around trying to rally the people to find the individual or individuals who dared to tarnish the sacred link. But still, if they were dealing with a godling and not a run of the mill spell caster, then even that might now be enough, someone could simulate a mark, or disguse themselves, or even turn invisible, the possibilities were endless.

Directing a small group of Iron men to follow him, Mazir began to walk though the streets, channeling his most potent magics to try and find the souls who sought to separate themselves from him.

Hunting for the interlopers with a small group (10) Ironmen.

+2 Divine: Soul Magic. Attempting to hone my greater connection with the people who are linked to try and triangulate where the non-linked are.

+4 Magic: Amplifying my soul magic with a gamut of normal detection spells to try and separate the normal population form anything new.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Update 11

It was a tough choice; the Pools were more or less the center of the town. Going there would take them away from their goal of leaving the town via the outskirts. On the other hand, the disguise he had managed to cobble together was far from perfect, and it seemed like Mazir’s jackboots were imposing some sort of curfew for anyone not actively involved in the manhunt. On his own, Farro could probably escape out into the desert now- he had plenty of experience being pursued and hiding in the shadows. Lydia, however, did not have any such experience. And if they were caught and stopped for questioning by one of the more powerful mages, they couldn’t depend on them being as distracted as the last one was.

So the best option right then was to head for the Pools and join in on the search party. For themselves.

Maintaining the action of hiding in plain sight from last turn, Divine: Contracts [+2] and Mortal: Charismatic Leader [+4] . This update is pretty much just me telling you I’m going to the Pools. This can’t possibly go wrong! Oh, and I've started numbering my updates for reasons of personal organization, just in case you wondered about that.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon had not heard from the Queen in some days, and decided to go and see just what was going on down below...

Down Below... posted:

<Rhjamiz> Octagon takes a moment from his 'busy' schedule to head down to the excavation site currently being run by the Queen. There was still the curious question of just what was being dug down here. "I trust the diggers I sent down are performing satisfactorily?"

<Nenji> "It's a little awkward watching them work. I have to avert my eyes from the indecency, some things are not meant to move like that." She replies.

<Rhjamiz> "Awkward but effective, I should hope. A small price for expediency." He peers down what he assumes is a tunnel, but who knows what it could be. "How does your... project progress?"

<Nenji> There is a large doorway there now, hewn from the rock. The manner of it would suit the Arrani more than a human.
<Nenji> "It shall take time I think. It would be easier without the annoyances."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon looks the doorway over curiously. "Still a secret?"

<Nenji> "Only if you can't figure it out." She says coyly.

<Rhjamiz> "Hardly sporting. So little to go off of. But I have my suspicions."

<Nenji> "Then you must be patient!" She says with feigned delight and excitement, the way a noble lady might greet a particular small and adorable young dog.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon gives the Queen a look. "Very well. I'll leave you to it. Things progress well in the city above. Our food supply is secure, for the time being. Time will tell."

<Nenji> "I don't suppose you could take these spirits with you when you go?" She asks, gesturing to the air. "They have been pestering my workers, I think they were hiding from something on the surface but every time I shoo them away they return."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon tilts his head and then peers at the air where she has gestured. Intently.

<Nenji> There's a presence there. It seems...lupine.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon narrows his eyes a moment at that lupine presence. "Curious." He reaches out with a clawed hand, as if to touch it. "Where did you come from..."

<Nenji> There's a nervous kind of yelping and an image of woods and Red chasing them through it, an army of walking trees with axes at her back.

<Rhjamiz> "How curious. And what is it you want?"

<Nenji> There is a series of blurred and confused images. There seems to be one of them attacking Red, which is met with confusion and denial, another of them running and hunting which seems dim and faded. Then at the end there's them hiding, in caves, in places where people don't go and sometimes in people.
<Nenji> In the final image there is the constant sense of Red looking for them.

<Rhjamiz> "So you wish to hide. This is correct, yes?"
<Rhjamiz> "You wish to hide here from the Red one."

<Nenji> There seems to be a feeling agreement.
<Nenji> Very eager sincere agreement.

<Rhjamiz> "Perhaps I can find a place for you. What can you offer me?"

<Nenji> Confusion.
<Nenji> The thing does not seem to understand what you mean.

<Rhjamiz> "Mmmnn. Animal minds. Do you understand trade?"

<Nenji> Still confusion.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon furrows his brow. "Let's try it this way. Will you cause trouble if I let you stay in the city?"

<Nenji> There is an image of wolves not caring about spiders.

<Rhjamiz> "I have humans in pens. They are food. It would be in your interest to leave them be as well."

<Nenji> There's two conflicting images here, one is them chasing humans with an overtone of Red in it. The wolf seems to shake its head to clear that leaving it with the second image, which is a wolf hunting for animals such as rabbits or stray sheep and goats.
<Nenji> The impression you are getting, is there is one set of original wolf-like behaviours, and another that Red seems to be influencing,
<Nenji> And the wolves are trying to struggle against it.

<Rhjamiz> "Yes, good. Sheep, goats, rabbits, yes. Think no thoughts of humans."

<Nenji> The wolf seems content to do so.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon nodded. "Go above, then, and keep out of sight. Nothing for you down here."

<Nenji> The wolf thing lingered, uncertainty filling it. But Octagon was a greater force than the queen and then made off through the tunnels to the surface.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon is satisfied. "Let us hope that is the last of that." He nods to the Queen. "I'll leave you to your work."

Octagon left the caverns below feeling rather perplexed. The last thing he needed was roaming wolf spirits attracting undue attention. But no matter, it was not his problem for the time being. He had other matters to attend to. There would come a time when the outside world would mount an assault upon his new stronghold. Conventional armoring techniques were poorly suited to the Arrani's bodies.

And so they would need to develop new, better armor. And they had little time. And so it was up to him, in his infinite wisdom, to find the solution. Silk was lightweight and nearly indestructible when spun correctly. Perhaps, if processed and treated with Arrani venom, it could be made to form a tough, strong resin...

I am going to develop a method of using Arrani silk and venom to create resilient, light-weight armor. Using Spider Lord [+2] for silk, and Toxin [+2] for curing/treating the silk.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 24, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

"Your Emperor was a demon-worshiper!"

I shouted, furious at the insinuation and raising my Sword on high and my voice crackling with wrath.

"Though his sins were light it IS undeniable that he sold himself and his empire, that he CHOSE to ally himself with a dangerous and blasphemous being working from the shadows to poison and corrupt this city and endanger the world. None of you can stand here and say any different."

"You! A resurrection? Are you mad? When has it ever been the province of man or mage to toy carelessly with lives passed beyond the grave? What guarantee is there that what you bring back won't be something worse? I will not allow such a violation of the world's order, especially when it simply serves to play straight into the machinations of the monster endangering us all."

(assuming that in this setting resurrections are generally unsuccessful, radical, rare, dangerous, or all of the above please do tell me if I'm wrong. If it turns out that bringing people back from the dead is kind of old hat then I'm unexpectedly making a mountain out of a molehill and I will change tack accordingly)

"As for the Arandians, I'll stop their advance. I'm going to go tell them the exact same thing. Real actual demons, the enemies of the gods have returned and we cannot afford petty opportunistic squabbling right now."

Nudging Avenger with my knees I turn it towards the gesturing Edo and crowd of courtiers hunched around him, the Emperor's body lying on the ground beside us and reply silently through the same manner in which he spoke to me.

("Are you sure Civar? I guess taking the corpse would prevent them from performing foul rites upon it, but why not simply cremate it right here and now? I was hoping to see it buried properly later, but you're with me on this right? Bringing people back from the dead just seems... wrong. I'm also not all the way convinced that Edo Blackwater isn't in cahoots with Beltheus or in the least playing into the demon's plans by destabilising an already tense situation further.")

Action: Bring them all to their knees with a forceful proclamation of righteousness and might. Come on guys, seriously? Zombie resurrections?! Dicking around with panicky accusations? While there's some guy trying to beat down your door right now and an actual literal evil monster out there? You jerks get down and out of my way and I'll go deal with that other guy because that's the right thing to do (tm)

D Sacred Sword +2: Raising it high, because slightly stained or not this thing's still got a kick and a flare like a motherfucker. Stay out of the way and get awed or get in the way and get sworded. Your choice.
D Justice +2: Listen alright, who here's got two thumbs and is literally all about the justice? That's me. I am. This looks bad, I know but honestly you gotta trust me when I say that I can and WILL do the right thing. Look me in the eye, take it on faith, feel it in your grit. Nothing I've said has ever been a lie and that's not going to change.

Also I think I'm expecting an assist of some sort from Civar on this.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar "Silent as the mist" Kit'An (Eosia, Eosis, throne room, throne dais)

I was content enough to let Eisner speak while I kept on experienced eye on the crowd. Still, he'd been a good companion; I wondered if I could affect other people with my control over the weather? Worth a try anyways. I would try to lend Eisner's voice the irresistible might of a lightning bolt, while parting the mists to make him and his gloriously shining sword more visible.

I silently replied to Eisner: "Burning it in place works for me. There's been enough madness here and from what you're saying he deserves better than an unmarked grave."

D: Assisting puppies
D: Weather + 2

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Beltheus-Taeless

Beltheus smiles at the woman. "Let your son know he can always call on and pray to Beltheus when he is of need and I will aid him. Be at peace, my dear lady." With that, he bows and makes his exit, hoping that his investment now will pay dividends later. After all, what better place to invest than Taeless.

On the street, he takes the time to gather his thoughts. He had heard the final prayer of the Emperor and, through his intermediaries, was aware of the events transpiring, including the Arandian knight's attempt to desecrate the Emperor's body. To actually travel there himself would no doubt mean outright conflict and destabilizing an already unstable situation. It wasn't that Beltheus MINDED instability when it served a purpose. Indeed, he was largely a creature of chaos himself. But further instability in itself didn't serve his purposes, and he did owe the Emperor something. So, he sends a message to his priest. "Aid Edo in helping to bring the Emperor back to life. Give him your support." Ironic, really, that he would help Edo, but in this, at least, they were aligned.

Beltheus-Nundus

Beltheus travels to Nundus. The Ulysses Islands are a mystery to him, and they seem an out of the way place, a potential bolt hole. . .one that he hopes isn't claimed by any spider gods.

Channeling Good Luck +2 through my priest to aid the resurrection attempt of Edo and the magisters/block Ilvis.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wilhelm - Minburg Exclusion Zone

One notable thing of the people's transformation is their capacity to survive in the Gindarr, which was once an inhospitable, cruel, and dangerous place to mankind. With the insects that once turned the place into a hellish, dangerous place now alongside them as less-thinking cousins, the people are now not only capable of living in such a place, but they are able to thrive.

Wilhelm utilizes his wings to leave the walled area easily, and after a short flight lands just short of the jungle treeline. He presses his thumb into the ground, urging one thing from the jungle itself, "Grow..."

Using Hive Mind Usurper +2, Insect Lord +2, and Earth +2 to urge the Gindarr jungle as a whole biome to expand outward. Divinity will play in by turning against nature in this case: Rocky outcroppings that may have once stopped the jungle will crumble to soil, infertile patches that did the same will become more fertile, and the insect life that still remains in the jungle will expand outward to occupy and environmentally balance out the growing jungle while tending to the plants.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

The Exalted as he had begun to call them listened intently, but the problem was the difference between them and the regulars that had yet to change. So Kovar felt confident that the Exalted had taken in the lessons, but it would still take time for the regular soldiers in his small force to learn perfect unquestioning obedience to a superior officer. Again as with Burd though he sensed he couldn't really push further without tinkering, he had to accept that they were not as perfect as he wished. His continuing saving grace was that Kovar from what he had seen, was sure that for any non-elite military force that his troops would right now be a match. They would also continue to improve for some time still, so he would have to trust them and in Sellos' current obscurity to give them that precious time to develop.

Success, but just. Your troops learned the lesson but need time to internalise it. Fortunately you are not immediately being invaded so you have time to breathe.

Adam (Taeless, Under-Sellos)

It felt good to wear a suit of armour and have an axe in hand, or on your back. Many of the Dwarves seemed much happier with their new gear and when they'd finished the last suit, a surprise gift to Adam there had been a great deal of drinking and merrymaking. Being burdened with the new weight of their armour, the Dwarves seemed to act as if another weight had been lifted. As for his own armour, well he might have been able to do a bit better himself it was still a mighty fine piece of work. Thadroin had likely had a hand in it he felt. The crown he had once hated had even been melted down and worked into the helmet, so he could take his kingship with him where he went.

But Adam noticed another change, the Dwarves had once merely been industrious but now...well they seemed more boisterous. Brawling was far more common and people had laid out an area to train for sparring in. It seemed that whatever had gotten into Adam had also filtered down into his people a little. Everywhere the Dwarves started to become a little more warlike each day. But they were also intensely loyal and close knit, with a sense of us against them, with them being the world, the Dwarven people were closer now than they had ever been.

And there was that axe, still in the wall. No one had gone near it yet, but it sang to Adam and to the Dwarves, sang of conquest and plunder.

Success, you did really well. You made enough suits for everyone and Dwarves apparently feel better with a heavy suit of metal armour on them. You're probably the best outfitted army on the planet right now due to your steel.

Rathin Stonewill (The Sun Plains)

As had been with the other tribes Rathin had made the offer, those that came were the younger males, those with a desire to prove themselves as 'men' and few opportunities to do so with their current tribes. One or two brought women with them, which was always a relief as a tribe of men is a tribe doomed to die. There were only nine that came, but it was not unknown for small numbers from tribes to change tribes. In fact this was often welcomed, new blood kept the tribe from inbreeding which was a terrible taboo.

The men seemed to be capable enough, likely those troublemakers in the tribe that liked to fight and had little chance to pursue such tendencies in a primarily gatherer tribe. There were some hunters, but nothing like the Orcs.

Success, you'll attract new people into your tribe Rathin. Do you want to test and or train the women as well? They're not really hunters like the men, but they would be willing to have a go if they need to.

Some opposed checks posted:

Attack +2 Divine: 2d6+6 9 Mazir
Defence +2 Divine: 2d6+6 16 Farro

Farro quickly explained what they were doing to Lydia who nodded silently. She was handling the situation well, simply because she had gone into that state beyond terror. The world for her had become a living dream and she just walked through it in the now without thinking much about the future. Farro and Lydia went to the people in the middle of the rock formations where the pools themselves lay and explained what they were doing. Their marks were checked and satisfied that they were not the escapees the mage coordinating sent them around. Searching hard for themselves was relatively easy given that they knew where they were and that they weren't going to find themselves. In fact no one bothered them at all after they introduced themselves, although Farro thought this was due to the fact that no-one wanted to question someone who looked like they were doing what they were supposed to be doing.

Things became more nervous when one of the great iron men swept past them before Lydia could get out of its way. But instead of knocking her aside or collecting her with its great frame the creature passed through Lydia as if she wasn't there. She stared at Farro for a moment in shock, as Farro realised he was extending his power, something aside from contracts or love, onto the two of them currently. It seemed that he was hiding them from those that were looking for them, something which extended into letting them pass through them apparently.

Farro succeeds on the opposed check and remains hidden, additionally gaining the Divine Trait: Stealth [+2] This won't let you pass through solid objects, but it will let you be invisible, inaudible and insubstantial to those hunting you if you wish.

The resultant silk was quite tough, which made it a little harder to work with but would with a few layers have the desired effect. The silk itself was not comparable even to leather armour, but the poison that Octagon had worked into it would eat through metal and the silk was pliable compared to leather. An Arranian armour would be made up of a couple of layers, the outer ones being looser. The silk would catch the weapon and slowly eat through the metal of the blade. It wouldn't help much with arrows, but only complete plate mail would and Octagon had never actually seen that worn outside of ceremonial affairs. He'd need to rely on tactics to flush out archers before they could wreak havoc on his forces.

Success, you rolled well so I changed the silk a little to be unique in its own way. Instead of stopping a blow, it kind of gums and wraps up a weapon strike and then eats away at the blade.

The Imperial Throne Room of Eosia

Please note, there were a few rolls for this and it was kind of complicated due to different sides doing things so I'm not posting results

Eisner raised his sword as it burst into flames as he began to speak. However his words did not cow people as he had intended, some courtiers did fall back and began to worry themselves a little about his words but the Magisters and Edo stood firm. Edo brought his power to bear with the backing of the magical practitioners in the capital. In the end they did little to turn the tide, but their efforts did lock down the strange steed which the Arandian knight was riding upon. A golden dome of light began to form, spiralling upward from the marble tiled floor of the throne-room as the figures of titanic might struggled with divine powers.

It was at this point that Civar unleashed the powers of his weather abilities, conjuring a mighty wind that emanated from him and Eisner. The glowing down that was coalescing from the multiple golden strands of Edo's power began to buckle. Right when it seemed it would break something curious happened. From somewhere in the room a subtle power reached out and tugged at the strands of fate a little. Civar accidentally slipped for a moment as a blast of wind reflected into himself and threatened to knock him over. At the same moment the Emperor's body was blown out of the dome that was forming and it finally sealed itself. The knight and the vagrant in his company appeared to be sealed.

However this was far from the case. The same way that the pair had entered the throneroom was still available for them to leave, or even to escape the bubble. Ilvis had not had the effect she wished, but the seeds of doubt had been sown in some of the people present. The emperor's body was also beyond the grasp of the two in the bubble for the moment, but the witch Aideen was still stranded in a marketplace and if she was caught when news of the emperor's murder and the invading army came in she would likely find herself attending a public execution as a guest. Everyone had a little bit of something they wanted, but not quite everything. It was balanced on the next move of the three powers in the room, and the watching fourth, whose influence was limited but still available.

Wilhelm

The jungle was kept by the insects in it. Dung beetles moved seeds around, bees cross pollinated flowers and even ants played their own parts by carrying nuts and seeds around. By using the very foundation of the jungle's ecosystem and by managing the earth, Wilhelm willed the seeds of the new jungle to be spread out. It would take time for the seeds to spread, for the earth to be properly adjusted and more importantly for the plants themselves to grow. There was also a degree of climate, but that would not stop Wilhelm's plans as much as he had feared. By the end of the decade the Gindarr Jungle would be almost twice as large as it currently was.

Success, this will take time to take effect but is also a kind of invisible action to most people. As we move into longer time scales you can narrate the expansion of the jungle bit by bit.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

"That's your answer then, Edo Blackwater?"

As Avenger locks up beneath me I stare at the shimmering dome slowly drawing itself together above and around us, gripping the Sword as I stare the Magisters, the courtiers and Edo on the other side.

"I offer to halt the advance of the Arandian army threatening this Empire's borders, and your response is to attempt to trap me in this dome? I'll give you one last chance to do the right thing. Lower this ridiculous barrier and remove yourself from my path. Your mad talk of war and resurrection show exactly what your real priorities are here instead of the peace and stability of this city. You offer no solutions but dangerous and unpredictable magicks which toy with the very fabric of life. You clamour for war when you are offered the chance for peace."

In a flash it all goes before me, the thought of what a war, civil or otherwise will do to these people. Eisos was a peaceful city, governed by a reasonable but uncertain rule of law, and her people unused to the prospect of banditry or warring factions and armed bands roaming the land. A greater conflict here would spread like a spark on dry tinder, and from it chaos, bloodshed, and ruin would follow.

"You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who bring war into a country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had a hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices today than any of you to secure peace. But I will prevent it. Get out of my way or I will go straight through you."

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Rathin Stonewill Sun Plains: Orc Camp.

The next day, they did not embark straight away, instead Rathin spent the time tasting the blade of those that had come. The men were skilled well enough, and while their skills were not nearly as honed as Rathin felt they should be, that can be cured with practice. The women were another matter. They faded into the background as their husbands sparred with Rathin, or if they arrived alone simply faded into the background with the other humans.

Rathin found them clustered together doing linens, shooing the men away when they came to wash their own. Rathin singled one that seemed to have a particular fire about her, "What's your name, new commer?"

"Keri, my chief." She bowed her head. Such fire, contained in the flimsy rules of tribal politics. This will not do.

"Stand Keri, this is an Orc tribe! No women sits on her knees to a man in this tribe!" He bellowed.

It caught her off guard and after a brief moment of suprise she slowly stood and retorted back, "What do you mean! I care for the men, someone must repair the rags you lot cast off! Look at these, absolutely filthy!" She points at a pile of linens they gathered. "Your men seem to think they should do everything themselves. What a stupid idea, this rot couldn't clean the lip of a spoon!" She retorted harshly.

Rathin grinned, "I like you, such fire! You are right, Keri, this lot is a sorry bunch when it comes to cleaning." He roared with laughter. "However, Keri, this is a warrior tribe. All Orcs are warriors and you came of your own accord. Do you know anything of fighting, Keri?"

Keri snorted in derision, "Feh! That's what your for, isn't it? To bang heads and back slap while we do the real work!" She motions to her compatriots and a crowd began to draw near.

Rathin chuckled and drew closer, "What if there was an attack, right now. What if they stormed the camp and all the men were dead." He continued toward her, "What then? Let the animals have their way with you? All because you thought you were too good for a sword, hmm?" He was now face to face with the women, and let the silence linger. After a moment he continued, "No Keri, an Orc women will never be dominated by some brute that caught her without a man. Every man, his own, every women, her own. That is the Orc way. I lothe the day an Orc women is dominated by a trifling human male.

"Here is a sword. You and yours may remain if you but strike me with it. Otherwise, leave now, and forget this place. Take your man with you." He snorted and held up a wooden training sword. He had to nip the traditional tribal bickering in the bud. Orc women must be as self sufficient as the men, and men must be as sufficient as the women. This would be a good demonstration for them, and this Keri, if she took up the blade would be an excellent role-model for the others.

I'm going to instill an egalitarian culture among the Orcs, everyone should do a bit of everything and do what they wish to do, and cutting through the gender barriers that exist in tribal culture. They won't serve the Orcs well.
D: Orc [+2]: An Orc is their own person they bow to no other.
D: Heart of the Tiger [+2]: In the animal kingdom both sexes can be ferocious, and so too shall it be with the Orcs.
Stubborn [-2]: This is the only way.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar Kit'An (Eosia, Eosis, throne room, throne dais)

I placed a calming hand one Eisner's shoulder as I pitched my voice to carry throughout the chamber without raising it "Enough Eisner. These people are fools twice over, but I won't kill them just for making their own troubles worse. So far, no innocents have even be seriously injured, lets keep it that way. They'll see the truth when we stop the invasion heading for them. Time to go back where we came from."

Drawing on the power stored in the hammer still hanging from my belt, I worked to restore Eisner's mount to it's proper order in preparation for our departure. As Tinker's Treasure had been used to make the Swordicorn, it would now help to free it.

"Healing" Swordicorn D: total bonus +4
D: Order +2
Tinker's Treasure +2

Nenji - assuming Puppies travels us out of here to meet up with Aideen without further excitement; can you post up some information gleaned from talking to my cultists about where the Arandian army is, how big it is, etc?

Oh, and since someone grabbed hold of my divine powers, do I have a sense of who? So that I can look in their direction/recognize the "feel" of their powers if we meet again? Right now both me and Civar would guess it's one of the other demons in the City.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo

Edo barely listens as the assassin with the ridiculous sword monologues, his entire attention focused on building up an effective barrier between the invaders and the vulnerable courtiers and magisters in the room. It's only when the magic seizes and becomes stable that he realises a crucial error in the design - the barrier won't stop teleportation. But it's too late, and maybe the foreigners won't realise or don't know any magic. That makes sense to Edo, because already the Arandian murderer - the emperor's blood still dripping from his blade - holds forth yet again with talk of 'dangerous and unpredictable magics'.

Edo strides from the rear of the room towards the glowing cage, Val following a step behind, before standing between the cage and the emperor's body. The remaining Arandian wind whips at his simple peasant clothes, but given Edo shines with the light of the sun, it's unlikely any but the assassins can make that out.

Edo looks very carefully at the two assassins he's caught. He's feeling a lot of righteous indignation, but right now he's also a bit curious. The one with the sword seems deranged. Unpredictable magic? Resurrection was only slightly more complicated than teleporting a long distance, and the magisters did that just fine. As for that weather magic, that wasn't exactly simple either.

"Now that you can't flee, are you sure you're feeling alright, assassin?" he asks slowly and carefully. "You sound like you've taken a hit to the head. You haven't taken demon dust, have you? It can destroy your ability to make good decisions. I've seen it. I can restore you for a little while if you like, but I can't cure the addiction." Edo frowns. "Yet."

He turns and waves over Katikos. "Magister Katikos, what do you make of this one? Does he look crazy to you? I think there's something wrong with him, but I can't quite tell. He's certainly not talking any sense."

Then Edo looks at the other assassin. He's been quieter. Edo gets the sense that probably means he's more dangerous, even if he doesn't have a metal horse and a glowing sword. "If you're not responsible for the Arandian invasion, then we'd appreciate you stopping it. Perhaps it will reduce your sentence for murdering the emperor. But it'll have to wait. You can stay here until we've returned the emperor to life. The magisters and I will then confirm what's happened here and decide what to do with you."

Thinking of the emperor, Edo ignores the crouches over the Emperor's body and carefully examines the wound. It's horrific - Edo casts a practised eye over the destruction and beyond the gaping hole it's clear most of the man's internal organs are badly damaged. More than that, it seems like almost every cell of the emperor's body exploded, most likely due to some evil blood boiling spell. Edo's never seen the like before. Not even that accident involving the firebreather caused this much harm.

Add that to the demonic taint evident around the eyes and elsewhere, and Edo becomes less confident that resurrection will work. "What did he do to you," Edo mutters softly. He looks up, and Ajikan is waiting patiently just over his shoulder, a few other magisters behind him.

"Help me with this, friends," Edo says. "This wound - it's not natural. I fear black magics were involved, something I don't understand. To bring the emperor back will be very difficult. I'll have to fight against both the emperor's demonic master, and whatever evil lingers from that sword. This is not going to be easy."

Still, after his promise, Edo feels he has to try. Bathed in the light now trickling through the windows with the end of the fog, Edo calls forth once more to his Father the Sun to restore a lost soul to the light of life. The corruption of the demon taints the spell, but Edo draws more power to purge it with light, trying to cleanse the emperor of evil even as he wrests his soul from evil's embrace. As for the body, Edo leaves that largely to the magisters and their strange harmonic chanting that restores flesh. Edo spares only enough power to ensure the flesh grows back as it was before, and the taint of demons is minimised. It's a mammoth effort, and it requires much concentration. But with the invaders caged, what could possibly go wrong?

Leaving the invaders to their trap and focusing on resurrecting the emperor and severing whatever connection he might have with the demons for the action. +2 Divine Healing and +2 Divine Magic and maybe +2 Divine Sun (although that's a stretch) for a total of +6. Also calling on the magisters to help out without their qualities if they can.

EDIT:

Edo won't be splitting his attention to defend against Ilvis; I'm not sure about the timing, but if Ilvis attacks while Edo's getting his resurrection is on, no qualities really apply because he won't be actively defending himself. The cage I guess is a static defence, and maybe Val or the living magic or the magisters will do something.

Cacto fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 29, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

"And there you have it, Civar. I ask for the chance of peace, and necromancy and demon summoning is his response. He's clearly working for the demon, willingly or unknowingly out of hubris."

Watching Civar work I feel the tingle of his powers slowly working their way through Avenger, and set my jaw grimly as I lower my helm and lock the Sword into place atop its brow.

"If you think it best, then we should very well leave. I'll advise you to hang on tight."

Clutching the emblem of the Raven's Claw in my fist I compose a final message, warning others about what has transpired should I fall in the course what is to come.

"We're going through the barrier and through Blackwater himself for that matter. Leaving an avowed necromancer and demon-servant in our wake seems like a particularly poor idea to me."

Spurring Avenger I feel its hooves dig further into the marble of the floor, feeling the tension and coiled force mount as it struggles to move.

"Come on pal, see that guy down there? He's the one at least part way responsible for all this and I think it's about time he got what was due him. He's done his part, said what he's needed to say, and it doesn't look like he's repentant or going to change course at all. Straight through the chest and out the other side, easy as cakes eh?"

Feeling it struggle to make a charge, I pat it reassuringly and disengage the Sword from its socket.

"Looks like you're grounded for now, but don't worry. I'm not leaving you behind for these jerks to tinker with. I'll see about Blackwater myself then."

With an upward swing I fling the Sword straight out and through the barrier, winging its way towards the target some distance away.

"Edo Blackwater! You were warned!"

quote:

to all who bear the Raven's Claw: "This is Eisner Faust. Time is short so I'll keep it brief. The city of Eisos (and the world) are under assault by a literal demonic being known as Beltheus. His primary servant is a mad mage by the name of Edo Blackwater, whose exercises in necromancy, demon summoning, and other dangerous magicks have endangered the fabric of reality and destabilised the fabric of society. There are others already lost to Beltheus' power. The Emperor of Eosia sold his soul and his nation into the keeping of the demon Beltheus, but was slain before further evil could be done. Blackwater now seeks to raise the Emperor as a revenant to suit his master's foul ends. Contact ser Daveron's troops at the soonest opportunity and let him know what has transpired should I fall in battle against the necromancer. Warn others of the chaos and bloodshed that is to come. Do what is right."

Assuming that Civar's action to heal the Swordicorn remains the same I'm content to simply load up and RIDE THROUGH THIS BARRIER TO IMPALE EDO BLACKWATER, TO DEATH. Civar will probably want to hang on from the back of the Swordicorn for dear life here because poo poo's about to get awfully bumpy. Attacking Edo Blackwater through the dome.

D: +2 Sacred Sword: It's a sword. The pointy end goes through the magical barrier and into the other guy. Also the handle-y end goes into the double sword horn slot built into the top of the horse's head but um...
D: +2 Travel: gently caress that barrier. Through it, around it, sideways or upside down with a rubber hose. We're going to warp out there at a gallop and use the momentum of the charge to stab a guy to death. Because he's a dick.
+??? Swordicorn: Ride forth like the wind, Avenger! Stab that son of a bitch like it's going out of style!

D: +2 Justice: Does this apply here? I mean it's hard to judge Edo except by his actions and what I've seen in the Emperor's memories, but it kind of seems like Edo's taken one action after the other here to destabilise the city with flashy and possibly dangerous (from the Emperor's perspective anyway) magic. From the perspective of law/order he's kind of a revolutionary what with his trying to usurp Josephtus and all, and afaik there are laws against unregistered magic use in this country right? Is raising the dead against the law? I kind of want to say it feels wrong, like some sort of natural law is being violated when you yank people back from beyond the grave like that. There's only one way to find out!

Also I'll shoot a message out via the magic coin thingy to everybody who can hear it, telling them to spread the news about the whole demon/emperor/revival thing and get a shout out to Daveron that I'm coming to find him soon assuming I don't get killed in the next few rounds. Hopefully giving his troops an actual causus belli to be in the country (there's demons in the capital city, and it's THEIR fault that everything's gone wrong!:ohdear:) and a stern warning will help make his invasion less invasion-y and murderous, and moreso the kind of peace-keeping effort that I'm really deeply hoping for.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 29, 2013

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Upper Sellos

At last the training regime was showing results, he was glad to see that the infantry were up to the standards of a normal army in just two months. It was an excellent start, however, there were never too many advantages. So, he sought out Burd, and showed him to the small garden he had tucked away outside of the house he had been staying in. There, was the small fire-berry plant he had saved when he had destroyed the larger one. As he explained the plant's properties to Burd, he explained that he had been going to great pains to keep it small, but now it might serve a purpose for Sellos.

He instructed his lieutenant to set aside some space to serve as a fireberry orchard, and with Burd's help transplanted it to the site his lieutenant had cordoned off. Once it was in the ground, Kovar focused his divine power in all its aspects, both to give the plant a temporary boost, and to make it far more manageable for the upper-sellosians.

Trying to set up a manageable orchard of Fireberry plants in Upper-Sellos.

Fire[+2] - to give the plants a temporary boost, helping them to go from a shoot to an orchard.

Strength[+2] - To strengthen the skin of the berries so that they will break when intentionally squashed or thrown, but not just when handled too roughly.

Divine Strategy[+2] - To help tame the plants so that they can be used both as a weapon and as a logistical boon. Make the plants easier to grow and manage.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon is pleased with the outcome of the armor, and makes sure to set several aside so that he can instruct others on its make. They'd have need of it soon enough.

In the mean time, while he waited for Elkud to return from his journey, Octagon began to toy with some spare spiders to see if he might create something that would help cement the Arrani's hold upon their land...

I am creating the Silk Road Spiders, which will create and tend the Silk Road; a literal road/path/zerg creep of silk that shall be spread from spidertowns. Spider-Lord [+2] for spiders, Transformation [+2] to change some regular giant spiders into these special Silk Road Spiders and Toxins [+2] because they're going to need to be venomous as gently caress to keep assholes away. I'm not releasing them yet; I'm going to keep them back to see if I need/want them once I am more established. We'll establish what the silk road is then, I guess? Or now?

Also, I am totally ready for a mini time skip when you are, Nenji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Update 12

It was a more exciting revelation than he would have preferred, but this newfound power certainly did come at the best possible moment. Silently motioning for Lydia to follow, he returns to her room and the Gate within. He still couldn't fight the planar binding directly, but if he could spoof it, make it think he wasn't the target or wasn't there, maybe they could finally escape this hellhole. He focuses on his new power and tries to do the impossible: try to convince a trap that already caught him that he was never even there.

Once more, with feeling! Divine: Contract [+2] and Divine: Stealth [+2] to break the magic snare and skedaddle with Lydia into my demesne.

• Locked thread