Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I still maintain that Vanko should have had the solution to the palladium problem all along, and eventually gives it to Tony at the end of their drawn-out conflict, allowing Tony to make recompense for the sins of his father (as previously mentioned).

I also maintain that Justin Hammer deserved a much better movie than he was in. "This is a bird in Russia, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hewlett posted:

I still maintain that Vanko should have had the solution to the palladium problem all along, and eventually gives it to Tony at the end of their drawn-out conflict, allowing Tony to make recompense for the sins of his father (as previously mentioned).

Yeah, the arc drawn out in the Overthinking It article is spot-on: Tony finds out his father stole credit from Vanko's father, Tony makes amends, Vanko provides the cure. Ideally they would then team up to take on Hammer, who could use Vanko's technology in a way that is actually threatening and somehow relevant to his goal of ruining the Stark name (such as by outing papa Stark's misbehavior).

Hewlett posted:

I also maintain that Justin Hammer deserved a much better movie than he was in. "This is a bird in Russia, right?"

The dude is 300 lb of charisma in a 150 lb bag. They even included a bit where he got to dance. His performance as the villain is, similarly, the most entertaining part of the Charlie's Angels movie.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The dude is 300 lb of charisma in a 150 lb bag. They even included a bit where he got to dance. His performance as the villain is, similarly, the most entertaining part of the Charlie's Angels movie.

Every role where Sam Rockwell doesn't dance is a missed opportunity.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hewlett posted:

Every role where Sam Rockwell doesn't dance is a missed opportunity.

No joke: if I catch Charlie's Angels is playing on TV, I have to check to see how close it is to the dancing. If it's within a half hour or so...I'm watching Charlie's Angels.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So there's a rumor the Frank Miller/Geof Darrow comic Hard Boiled is being developed again. I'm a big fan of Darrow's art but the idea of a movie seems weird to me. Honestly is there anyone that thinks its a good comic outside of Darrow's artwork? I guess it's possible that they could make the film look like his artwork but I don't even know if that would look any good in real life.

I mean I imagine its only getting made because 300 and Sin City are getting sequels but it just seems like a weird project.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I liked Iron Man 2. Its probably the weakest Marvel movie, but its got RDJ being fantastic, Iron Man blowing stuff up, and Rockwell and Rourke were great, so its okay to me :shobon:.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Iron Man 2 had a lot of very interesting ideas that didn't quite come together, and which were revisited in a sequel. In that regard it is an extremely faithful superhero movie. I think its problems are echoed in microcosm by the repeated incidence in the script of characters talking over each other.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah. I don't think it's legitimate to criticize a movie for merely not being what you hoped it would be. But when half-a-dozen of the film's most evident problems could be resolved by this sort of change it's pretty frustrating. And I think it puts some weight to the theory that this was, in fact, how the movie was supposed to go before Marvel interfered.

Yeah, as others have mentioned, "frustrating" is the perfect word to describe Iron Man 2 because the bits with Sam Rockwell and Mickey Rourke are totally loving awesome and nothing else in the movie lives up to them.

Iron Man 3 was similarly kinda frustrating, but less so since it wasn't quite such an obvious mess. I'd still cut the entire Mandarin plot, though.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I hope Bendis writes for the Shield show. It's straight up Powers in Marvel clothes.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

bushisms.txt posted:

I hope Bendis writes for the Shield show. It's straight up Powers in Marvel clothes.

Is that ever going to be made? They've been talking about it for years.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Joe Don Baker posted:

Please tell us how it told the story well. I'm not sure how you can say that after everything that's just been pointed out. I just don't understand how you can enjoy and gobble up all this poo poo that Marvel tends to put out.

SHIELD has had Tony on their radar since the first movie. In the second movie they decide to embed someone close to him, which doesn't become really front and center until Tony starts to make some really bad decisions and is in obvious need of intervention. SHIELD shows up to make sure this potential asset doesn't completely gently caress up, and they do so by forcing him to make a serious effort to fix his current situation.

Honestly, go back and watch the movie. The SHIELD part of the plot makes sense within the context of the overall narrative. Saying it's literally just a shoehorned in Avengers ad means you either didn't watch Iron Man 2, or simply disregarded everything in the film that conflicted with your already set in stone opinion.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Even though the people who made the film said it?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like to imagine that the video from Howard Stark was a fake produced by SHIELD to snap Tony out of his funk.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DFu4ever posted:

The SHIELD part of the plot makes sense within the context of the overall narrative.

By "overall narrative" are you referring to the narrative of Iron Man 2 specifically or of the Marvel Universe movies? Because when people suggest that it's shoehorned in they're usually talking about the experience of watching Iron Man 2 as an independent work. Whether or not you want to view it as an advertisement, it's a parallel story that began in another film and concludes across two others, but is only loosely related to the events of Iron Man 2.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Is that ever going to be made? They've been talking about it for years.
FX rejected the pilot, but they're moving forward with a new one. There's a very good chance it may only have a passing resemblance to the comics.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

By "overall narrative" are you referring to the narrative of Iron Man 2 specifically or of the Marvel Universe movies? Because when people suggest that it's shoehorned in they're usually talking about the experience of watching Iron Man 2 as an independent work. Whether or not you want to view it as an advertisement, it's a parallel story that began in another film and concludes across two others, but is only loosely related to the events of Iron Man 2.

This is a really odd direction to be travelling down but SHIELD involvement in Iron Man 2 has more to do with (and more "fit, to") the story and its narrative than basically any other place SHIELD has popped up except Avengers.

So it's doubly ironic that Iron Man 2 is the one most singled out for a shoehorned SHIELD.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Sir Kodiak posted:

True, it began in another film, but that film was Iron Man. It's not unreasonable for them to carry over story elements into the sequel. And while the story continues in Avengers, there isn't a sense of a cliffhanger or anything left really unresolved with the SHIELD story (save for the stinger, which shouldn't really count). As for being only loosely related, I would disagree. It doesn't directly tie into the Vanko plot, but it is directly connected with Tony and the questions about his father. The second movie in any franchise isn't going to function as a completely autonomous narrative, and I think Iron Man 2 works as a standalone as well as, for example, Empire Strikes Back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ShakeZula posted:

The second movie in any franchise isn't going to function as a completely autonomous narrative, and I think Iron Man 2 works as a standalone as well as, for example, Empire Strikes Back.

It's obviously not going to be autonomous, because it's a sequel but it shouldn't just function as an ad for the next one (in this case The Avengers). Godfather 2, The Dark Knight, Superman 2 and, yes, Empire Strikes back all work much better (yes, Empire ends in a cliff hanger but it also features huge amounts of character growth for almost every single character. Luke realizes his past and they're going off to rescue Han and because Han and the rest of the cast have confronted their demons, you believe they'll succeed).

Iron Man 2 was Tony not learning a goddamned thing, but still being smarter than everyone all of the time except for his daddy who saves him in a terrible Deus Ex Machina.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I want to believe.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Why did he pic that picture of Cage it's loving retarded. That said, I'd loving love to see a Power Man movie with the Rock as Luke Cage. Rock is so awesome.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm down. And Namor too.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
gently caress yes, I hope they do this.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I want to believe.

I usually think the Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's roles are pretty vapid and... you know... action movie-y, but this casting actually is something that dreams are made of.

Where do I go to sign the petition to get Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in a Cage movie?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
We should start a white house petition to address Dwayne Johnson and whether the White House endorses him as a candidate for Power Man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd still rather see him as Namor.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Isn't the rights to him in a mess or something? If that's the case, we will take what we can get.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

If there was ever an occasion for a crossover movie, the Rock as Namor and Black Adam was it.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
The Rock as Luke Cage sounds great if it's for his own film, or paired with Iron Fist. But I wouldn't want him in an Avengers movie...because the Rock's high profile acting status would mean that a disproportionately large amount of time would have to be spent on him compared to the character's overall importance. He'd basically be the co-lead with RDJ and everyone else gets shoved to the background.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Isn't the rights to him in a mess or something? If that's the case, we will take what we can get.

I love the idea that there is a very real possibility that the question of whether Namor is a mutant or not could end up being decided in court.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

bbf2 posted:

The Rock as Luke Cage sounds great if it's for his own film, or paired with Iron Fist. But I wouldn't want him in an Avengers movie...because the Rock's high profile acting status would mean that a disproportionately large amount of time would have to be spent on him compared to the character's overall importance. He'd basically be the co-lead with RDJ and everyone else gets shoved to the background.

There are two reasons why this doesn't bother me. Firstly, the exact same thing was said about Downey before The Avengers and how Avengers would be the Tony Stark Show with guest appearances by some other dudes, and in my pinion they managed to balance it rather well.

Secondly, there is nothing about "focus on Robert Downey Jr. and The Rock" that doesn't sound awesome to me.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

There are two reasons why this doesn't bother me. Firstly, the exact same thing was said about Downey before The Avengers and how Avengers would be the Tony Stark Show with guest appearances by some other dudes, and in my pinion they managed to balance it rather well.

Secondly, there is nothing about "focus on Robert Downey Jr. and The Rock" that doesn't sound awesome to me.

I think the rock is a smart enough guy to realize he is part of an ensemble and not be a glory hog. It worked in X-men and its not like Jeremy Renner was a small actor when he made that cameo in Thor

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Rock was also pretty good in Fast 5, and he was the latest addition in an already large cast.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Plus the dude is smart enough to know what works well. He would put the rest of the cast over. He has done so in his wrestling career too!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The MSJ posted:

The Rock was also pretty good in Fast 5, and he was the latest addition in an already large cast.

He's easily easily the best part of Pain & Gain, which is saying a lot.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

GonSmithe posted:

He's easily easily the best part of Pain & Gain, which is saying a lot.

And I thought he did a great job in Snitch as well. Still has room for growth as a dramatic actor, but he carried that movie just fine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pillowpants posted:

its not like Jeremy Renner was a small actor when he made that cameo in Thor

That being said, a couple of sites were reporting yesterday that Renner may be out of the Marvel picture, given that he isn't making appearances in Thor 2 or Captain America 2, and Disney / Marvel were apparently pissed at him for comments he made about The Avengers (he hated Hawkeye's arc in it).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I love the idea that there is a very real possibility that the question of whether Namor is a mutant or not could end up being decided in court.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I ask you, have you ever heard of an Atlantian with wings on his ankles? No, of course not. It's just unnatural for these sea-breathing underwater inhabitants to have ankle wings. They're not flying fish.

I'm asking you to do what you know is right, what is just. We, all of us here, have taken on the duty to uphold the law. So I'm asking you, when myself and opposing council finish our closing statements, to go back into the jurror's room and do just that. Uphold the law. Do the right thing. Declare for all the world that Namor the Sub-Mariner is, in fact, a mutant.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A reminder that Marvel once argued in court that toys of mutant characters are not toys of human characters. I forgot the reason for this, but it was definitely to stop them from spending more money.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

The MSJ posted:

A reminder that Marvel once argued in court that toys of mutant characters are not toys of human characters. I forgot the reason for this, but it was definitely to stop them from spending more money.

For purposes of import/export, dolls and non-doll toys are subject to different rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Gyges posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I ask you, have you ever heard of an Atlantian with wings on his ankles? No, of course not. It's just unnatural for these sea-breathing underwater inhabitants to have ankle wings. They're not flying fish.

I'm asking you to do what you know is right, what is just. We, all of us here, have taken on the duty to uphold the law. So I'm asking you, when myself and opposing council finish our closing statements, to go back into the jurror's room and do just that. Uphold the law. Do the right thing. Declare for all the world that Namor the Sub-Mariner is, in fact, a mutant.

For some reason I read this in Harvey Birdman's voice.

• Locked thread