Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Rising Storm is a first person shooter multi player game based on the Pacific campaign of 1941-45. It takes place in several, famous strategic locations. The game covers the famous island-hopping campaigns in the Pacific from 1942 to 1945 as the US Army and Marine Corps fight it out with the Imperial Japanese army and Special Naval Landing Forces. Featuring some of the most brutal fighting in the Pacific theater, players are able to experience beach assaults, jungle fighting, close quarters night fighting and more across Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima and Saipan.

Official Trailer

Gameplay Footage

Where to find RS Goons:
Mumble Server: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521554 (Registered Users Only)
Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonswhoplayrisingstorm

Maps:
Guadalcanal
Hanto
Iwo Jima
Kwajalein
Peleliu - The air field assault from The Pacific series.
Saipan

Screenshots:

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texasmed
May 27, 2004

E.Nigma posted:

you will want to play this game

Rising Storm is being developed by Tripwire Interactive.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

E.Nigma posted:

Screenshots:

GOTY 2005.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Is Tripwire still sticking to all their horrible RO2 multiplayer decisions? There was a good game buried beneath RO2's bullshit and with a change of setting and mechanics I might actually play this.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

texasmed posted:

Welp I was excited for this game. It could still be good, but gently caress risking a preorder on a TripWire game after all the poo poo RO2 has gone through.

Also, is there any other games that are both fun and focus on ground combat in the pacific? Thanks to Men of War I'm on a lovely Japanese equipment kick and would love to be able to drive a Ha-Go into a ditch.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
A little piece of info that might be useful for the OP:

Red Orchestra 2 owners who are not sure if they are going to like Rising Storm will be able to play the game FREE when it releases. Rising Storm and Red Orchestra 2 will become, for all intents and purposes, the same game and you'll be able to try out all of the Rising Storm maps. Think of it as getting a massive content patch with half a dozen new maps and a ton of bug fixes and game improvements that carry over into Red Orchestra 2.

Red Orchestra 2 users will be limited to playing the Rifleman role, spawning with bolt action rifles and not able to earn Honor or Class/Weapon XP while playing a Rising Storm map but you'll be able to play in any Rising Storm Server and servers will be able to switch freely from Rising Storm to Red Orchestra 2 maps.

*Full Disclosure for people not following the RO2 thread: I'm currently employed at Tripwire Interactive and actively working on Rising Storm. :unsmith:

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

Trigger warning: Hate speech
e: ^ I don't know if you're involved in / knowledgeable about little gameplay mechanics but if I drop my pistol/katana will I run faster? Are "having a heavy primary" and "having two primaries" the only things that alter your run speed or can I shed some dead weight weapons I never use to sprint a little farther?

Anyone know what the differences between the type 99 and 96 LMGs are in-game? Is one strictly better or are they supposed to be situational?

Also, to anyone who doesn't have RO2 and is looking to buy this - if you have RO2 on your account you get a $5 discount ($12 down from $17) so you can save $5 by having a friend that owns RO2 buy it and steam gift it to you.

Is it just me or is the M1 carbine disgustingly bad? It's possible that the server I was playing on had damage/health settings tweaked but I'm used to semiauto rifles oneshotting people most of the time in RO2. M1 carbine seemed to take multiple shots every time unless I hit the heart or head. Add in spectacularly obstructive iron sights and I cannot wait to unlock better weapons for my American engineer. :v:

Everyone make sure to have a go at the flamethrower class, it is amazing.

milk man fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 18, 2013

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I have been consistenly disappointed by TWI and the choices they've made over the past few years, but I am really really enjoying this game.

There's nothing more satisfying than clearing a bunker with a flamethrower or Banzaiing the final point with your entire team behind you.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

milk man posted:

e: ^ I don't know if you're involved in / knowledgeable about little gameplay mechanics but if I drop my pistol/katana will I run faster? Are "having a heavy primary" and "having two primaries" the only things that alter your run speed or can I shed some dead weight weapons I never use to sprint a little farther?

Primary weapons all have a weight to them and having something like an LMG or two rifles is going to slow you down due to the game's encumbrance system. Things get a bit fuzzier with the sidearms and "other" weapons because there's some fudged math to make sure people who spawn with a lot of gear (Commanders spawn with an SMG/Rifle, grenades, smoke grenades, sidearm and potentially a katana) don't feel like they're running through molasses.

Short answer: Don't bother dropping your sidearm if you're trying to run farther or faster.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

@Questioner86: As you can see TW has a horrible reputation around here.

Tripwire didn't actually develop the game themselves. It was developed by modders in the community with some TW devs.

http://www.risingstormgame.com/crew

quote:

Rising Storm is being created in a first-of-its-kind collaboration between a mod team and a professional game development studio. The Rising Storm team is made up of the best independent developers from the modding community and several members of the development team at Tripwire Interactive.

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 18, 2013

az
Dec 2, 2005

E.Nigma posted:

Tripwire didn't actually develop the game themselves. It was developed by modders in the community with some TW devs.

Yeah right.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

As if anyone other than the people who brought you Red Orchestra 2 would come up with "level up to unlock the actual gameplay we're selling you"

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Remember kids, if a game's thread doesn't have the name of the developers in the OP, it's because it's Tripwire. Probably. Which says everything you need to know!

Edit: I totally forgot what this was named, so imagined there was actually a game about marines fighting dragons. Now I'm disappointed.

Hotwire fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 18, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Cool tip from me: the BAR has two rates of fire, which can be toggled between with the '6' key. The default is fast, the alt is slow. There are very few times when it's preferable to use the fast firing rate -- the muzzle climb is terrible and you're probably not going to hit much of anything. The slow rate is a hell of a lot more controllable.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Tripwire takes a lot of flack around here. I too was disappointed with RO2. The community full of retarded self-righteous old man server admins was more annoying than the game itself, which I thought was pretty fun despite all the automatic spam. Tripwire gave me Killing floor, and some of the most satisfying monster murdering action since doom. I feel like the money I payed for RO2 was just what I owed them for all the fun I've had with KF.

IMO, Their games feel like super polished 90's mods. I don't mean that to be disparaging in the least. Its one of the coolest compliments I can give a PC game these days. I guess my point is that they can make good games, and I'll be keeping an eye on this one. If the community expands past the current weird old man RO2 demographic I'll give it a shot.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

SovietSteel posted:

Welp I was excited for this game. It could still be good, but gently caress risking a preorder on a TripWire game after all the poo poo RO2 has gone through.

Also, is there any other games that are both fun and focus on ground combat in the pacific? Thanks to Men of War I'm on a lovely Japanese equipment kick and would love to be able to drive a Ha-Go into a ditch.

I preordered RO2 Digital Deluxe way back when, felt burned by the slew of problems, took a break of several months and came back to a game that was still wonky and had bad design decisions but that I had fun playing. Rising Storm's beta has definite problems, but I am also genuinely having fun.

milk man posted:

Is it just me or is the M1 carbine disgustingly bad? It's possible that the server I was playing on had damage/health settings tweaked but I'm used to semiauto rifles oneshotting people most of the time in RO2. M1 carbine seemed to take multiple shots every time unless I hit the heart or head. Add in spectacularly obstructive iron sights and I cannot wait to unlock better weapons for my American engineer. :v:

I'd second it being terrible. The tiny rear aperture sights throw me off, which is especially bad considering I always need more than one shot to the chest to put someone down, except for heart and headshots like you mentioned. Playing Engineer on Iwo Jima turns into throwing satchels at wire barriers, then more often than not dying in a shootout to a bolt-action rifle. In the rare cases where I live, then it involves me stealing said bolt-action so I have a better chance at living through the next one.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Why the gently caress is the thread title so misleading? There's no dragons in any of those screenshots. gently caress you and gently caress this, op. :argh:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

quote:

Rising Storm is being created in a first-of-its-kind collaboration between a mod team and a professional game development studio. The Rising Storm team is made up of the best independent developers from the modding community and several members of the development team at Tripwire Interactive.
If by "first-of-its-kind" they mean "Valve did this for Team Fortress Classic and Counterstrike and Day of Defeat and Alien Swarm and Mojang did this for the Bukkit server team and I think Tripwire did this for Killing Floor" then... yes?

This doesn't have a release date yet, does it? I'm not buying it but I do want to play my free Rifleman class (aka my free "whatever gun I want because I can just follow idiots around and pick up their guns" class) to see how the game has turned out. I guess they're jumpy about setting a release date after the whole RO2 debacle, eh?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Why the gently caress is the thread title so misleading? There's no dragons in any of those screenshots. gently caress you and gently caress this, op. :argh:

I know what the gently caress I was expecting something like Orion Dino Beatdown. So disappointing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm on the fence about this. I'm not pre-ordering but if the community sticks and it isn't terrible and they actually provide more content than RO2 ever did I might purchase it in the future.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

texasmed posted:

Wish these guys would stick to what is appropriate for their resources and talent. In other words iphone games.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If by "first-of-its-kind" they mean "Valve did this for Team Fortress Classic and Counterstrike and Day of Defeat and Alien Swarm and Mojang did this for the Bukkit server team and I think Tripwire did this for Killing Floor" then... yes?

This doesn't have a release date yet, does it? I'm not buying it but I do want to play my free Rifleman class (aka my free "whatever gun I want because I can just follow idiots around and pick up their guns" class) to see how the game has turned out. I guess they're jumpy about setting a release date after the whole RO2 debacle, eh?

By first of its kind they probably mean the community modders and developers worked side by side for the initial development of the game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's how it worked with DoD:S, CS:S, TFC, Alien Swarm on Source, and the retail release of KF, right? Those were all new games.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

InterFaced posted:

Tripwire takes a lot of flack around here. I too was disappointed with RO2. The community full of retarded self-righteous old man server admins was more annoying than the game itself, which I thought was pretty fun despite all the automatic spam. Tripwire gave me Killing floor, and some of the most satisfying monster murdering action since doom. I feel like the money I payed for RO2 was just what I owed them for all the fun I've had with KF.

IMO, Their games feel like super polished 90's mods. I don't mean that to be disparaging in the least. Its one of the coolest compliments I can give a PC game these days. I guess my point is that they can make good games, and I'll be keeping an eye on this one. If the community expands past the current weird old man RO2 demographic I'll give it a shot.

They probably feel like that in part because Killing Floor and Red Orchestra were both originally free Unreal Tournament 2004 mods. I guess since RO2 was a whole new game it was a lot easier for them to mess things up.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Pre ordered and in the BETA. With the discount it was something like 11 bucks and change. I'll get plenty of worth out of it, for sure.

So far, banzai attacks are insane and any Japanese team that makes use of them has completely steam rolled the Allies. Other than that, the BAR is overpowered as gently caress.

I'm enjoying it so far. It could probably use a bit more balance and tweaking.

ed

Wow is the Thompson an under powered POS.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 19, 2013

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Is there a reason to use the lower caliber axis weapons? Why use the type 38 bolt action over the 99?

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
Got this game along with two of my buddies last night.

Guadal Canal, at night, armed with a flamethrower and two Springfields, preparing for a Japanese bonzai. Two fuckers with swords run out of the trees, Springfields take them out... then the rest of the team comes literally screaming out of the jungle, and I got to introduce them to propane and propane accessories.

Best $12bux I've ever spent.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Just started playing the beta and so far the biggest plus for me is the maps. I haven't played them all but I feel like they are designed way better. I like not running across humongous fields with only a trash can to hide behind. To me, maps were the weakest part of original RO2. Gotta get that balance between game play and realism.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The game needs a way to block with your sword and rifles. That way we'd get some sick meele fights.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
RO2 was awful when it launched, all the bugs and the bugs with leveling up and such made me leave for awhile but now it really is a solid game and a lot of fun. I decided to get the $12 version of Rising Storm and I am having a blast. It is more of RO2 but with new weapons (and weapon types, not just variants) and much different locales/maps. If anyone had fun with RO2 they should definitely get in on the beta action, it is a blast.

Flamethrower, swords and booby traps.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
God, I've never seen a developer alienate its community like Tripwire did. Even Maxis/EA and the Simcity debacle don't inspire such resentment.

Tried the beta. I have to say the setting and weapons probably suit RO2's playstyle quite a lot better but for the love of me every map is just dying from pixels you can't see, especially in the night maps. The larger outdoor maps still don't have the slow methodical play style that something like Berezina did.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

bsamu posted:

Is there a reason to use the lower caliber axis weapons? Why use the type 38 bolt action over the 99?

The type 38 is more accurate because of a longer barrel, but the bullets are weak. Would you like a higher chance at headshots, or more stopping power? The type 99's sight hood annoys me, which tips me towards the hoodless 38. Both are useful rifles.

VVV Way more powerful, but no trickjumping!

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 19, 2013

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

dongsweep posted:

I decided to get the $12 version of Rising Storm and I am having a blast.
Flamethrower, swords and booby traps.

oh cool, I didn't realize there was a stacked discount for already owning RO2. I don't think I can say no to that price. Here's to hoping the flamethrower is as neat as the one in Wolfenstien '01. :q:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Man, I completely forgot how absolutely spergtastic the RO community was.

Just played for 15 minutes. The first seven and a half were filled with the TL screaming and cursing people for dying in his arty blast that was in between our spawn and the cap point. We're attacking from the South, he starts literally screaming about how we need to attack from the North, and then kicks people who he team kills. The last seven and a half minutes was one guy whining about how I shot him from the rear lines in Guadalcanal. Why did I shoot him? Because he was running backwards from the front lines and raised his rifle at me.

Other than that, its fun. Weapons just need some serious balance. Kinda aggravated putting three rounds from a Thompson center mass only to be cut down by the Katana wielding maniac.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I just dump the magazine every time I fire the Thompson. Actually, I do that with the Japanese SMG a lot of the time, too.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Man, I completely forgot how absolutely spergtastic the RO community was.

Just played for 15 minutes. The first seven and a half were filled with the TL screaming and cursing people for dying in his arty blast that was in between our spawn and the cap point. We're attacking from the South, he starts literally screaming about how we need to attack from the North, and then kicks people who he team kills. The last seven and a half minutes was one guy whining about how I shot him from the rear lines in Guadalcanal. Why did I shoot him? Because he was running backwards from the front lines and raised his rifle at me.

I haven't seen anything like this yet. If you're in NA, try playing on 29ID, or 2FJG. These clans don't teamstack their pubs, and the admins are responsible enough. I've seen bad arty strikes, if a commander is truly awful the server will autokick for exceeding the team damage limit.

If you think someone will complain about an accidental TK, just try to apologize before they get the chance. Keep in mind, getting into position can be stressful in and of itself. Most players rarely bother to forgive; unless you put in the effort to prevent their embarrassing stupidity, most will feel robbed of the 5-10 minutes spent spawning, dying just to search for an ingress. TK points add up fast, especially with explosives. Knee mortars and the engineer's satchel packs are notorious: If you aren't sure about a knee mortar shot, aim much higher. Always keep vision on your satchel targets in order to warn hapless teammates/noobs. Still, people will be in your way. Use their name on mic and repeat yourself, if necessary.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 20, 2013

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I feel like we as a group should move beyond teamkilling and whining about it.

In Chivalry, TK is just a part of the game that happens all the time and mostly, people just roll with it. In case of RO and its mods, we have a chaotic battlefield with unclear positions. Friendly fire happens. War is hell.

I have made it a habit to just automatically forgivea TK unless it was clearly malicious spawn griefing. Other than that, I rest my case with the phrase of "war is hell".

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I don't get mad myself. Hell, I'll laugh at it. The satchel fuse is hilariously long and has resulted in many mishaps and deaths on my part.

But I did go and buy a mic so there's that.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Banzai charges are ridiculously fun. Also ridiculously ineffective at times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mOcIgFDTKw
I've found that between the flamethrowers, light mortars, and banzai mechanics, it's super fun. Wish there was at least one meeting engagement map though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
Man, I wish it was possible for two or three rounds to go by in this game without a whole lot of "ironic" and/or unironic racism!

• Locked thread