Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

ExtraNoise posted:

Has it been confirmed that the game is only shipping with Stratis and Altis? There are no plans at this time to add another map?
Those were the only two ever announced for Arma 3, even before the Greek incident and before Altis was renamed from Limnos; there is no ETA on when before final release (ETA Q3 2013) Altis would be added.

Besides, Arma 2 only shipped with Chernarus and Utes in 2009. Takistan was added with Operation Arrowhead, Shapur with British Armed Forces, Zargabad and Proving Ground with Private Military Company in 2010, and Bystrica and Bukovina with Army of the Czech Republic in 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if you've ever tried to make a map for any of the Arma games, but Bohemia has public released community tools that you *need* to use to import a map into the game and make it work well/without major bugs/fully functional, which are pretty much the same tools they use to make maps. It is the worst loving experience you can ever imagine when it comes to making maps. It takes a longggg rear end time to make a good map, model all the variations of items on the map, make it functional in game, and to QC it. That's why the game's have only released with one major island and one or a few smaller island. Altis is huge, by the way, you should check out the pics in the OP comparing it to Chernarus.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Chortles posted:

Those were the only two ever announced for Arma 3, even before the Greek incident and before Altis was renamed from Limnos; there is no ETA on when before final release (ETA Q3 2013) Altis would be added.

Besides, Arma 2 only shipped with Chernarus and Utes in 2009. Takistan was added with Operation Arrowhead, Shapur with British Armed Forces, Zargabad and Proving Ground with Private Military Company in 2010, and Bystrica and Bukovina with Army of the Czech Republic in 2012.

Zargabad and Desert (as well as Takistan) were with OA, PMC was just Proving Ground.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Mederlock posted:

I don't know if you've ever tried to make a map for any of the Arma games, but Bohemia has public released community tools that you *need* to use to import a map into the game and make it work well/without major bugs/fully functional, which are pretty much the same tools they use to make maps. It is the worst loving experience you can ever imagine when it comes to making maps. It takes a longggg rear end time to make a good map, model all the variations of items on the map, make it functional in game, and to QC it. That's why the game's have only released with one major island and one or a few smaller island. Altis is huge, by the way, you should check out the pics in the OP comparing it to Chernarus.

I'm actually curious about this. Is it not possible to take a mesh modeled elsewhere and import it into the game (as a start) for the terrain?

There were quite a few maps for Arma II that appeared to be derived from GIS data, for example. I don't know if that's because Arma II had a completely different approach to map making, though.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ExtraNoise posted:

I'm actually curious about this. Is it not possible to take a mesh modeled elsewhere and import it into the game (as a start) for the terrain?

There were quite a few maps for Arma II that appeared to be derived from GIS data, for example. I don't know if that's because Arma II had a completely different approach to map making, though.

Yes, but all that does is add in the basic terrain heightmap and such. Every tree, every ground texture, every road, every building, every boulder, all the various logics and poo poo for the game engine, needs to be (sometimes, if there isn't already a pre-existing one) modelled, and individually placed. It's a nightmare, trust me. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?94222-Resourcelink-collection-How-to-make-a-map-beginning-from-the-idea-in-your-head

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Has anyone come across any good co-op missions suitable for 2 players? Still trying to ween my dad off of Project Reaility

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

RPS is really getting to the point they're not even worth visiting anymore. Their articles and reviews are just plain bad.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steeltalon posted:

RPS is really getting to the point they're not even worth visiting anymore. Their articles and reviews are just plain bad.

Let me tell you wot I think about that post...

Poster above this, I'd quote you but mobile posting is rough about that, there aren't too many that are going to be just for two players (or rather, capable for two people to accomplish) but there are 200+ co-OP scenarios on https://armaholic.com. Barring that, it is actually easy enough to set up your own little thing to do with the mission editor. I'd imagine all you'd have to do is privately host a lobby and invite your dad!

Fake edit: I know this is a stupid suggestion, but when I'm cruising the ArmA 3 server list I see a bunch of games with like -/4 players. I can't remember exactly but if you scanned those you should be able to see what the name of that campaign or co-OP is called and find it on armaholic!

Real Edit:
Oh man, helicopter scripting- like fraps- is awesomely bad if given enough time.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 4, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Good news for mission-makers: editing individual unit loadouts in the Editor "will be present in later versions/final version of the game."

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Chortles posted:

Good news for mission-makers: editing individual unit loadouts in the Editor "will be present in later versions/final version of the game."

But without dozens of complicated loadout scripts how will I ever survive?!@?!

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Chortles posted:

That's cool and all, but editing it in a .sqf file is probably still going to be a lot faster.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Chortles posted:

Finally... I was seriously waiting to hear news about this.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

hailthefish posted:

But without dozens of complicated loadout scripts how will I ever survive?!@?!
There's already been Virtual Ammobox System (VAS) for some time now.

In other news, interestingly enough someone got a non-ACE bipod working in Arma 3 with their FAMAS F1, albeit using a bipod script so that the bipod is toggled with the action menu.

Also, hats.

And apparently someone paired the new fog with creepy music for a really atmospheric-looking mission (arrows are to the immediate left and right of the image).

Finally, watch this, or if you just want the clip of it without the prior almost-hour for context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV0np7HOiSk&hd=1

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Chortles posted:

Finally, watch this, or if you just want the clip of it without the prior almost-hour for context:

I always regret not being able to put the time in to even consider joining a group like ShackTac, this is sort of the Holy Grail for Arma IMO

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Illuminati by Nature posted:

I always regret not being able to put the time in to even consider joining a group like ShackTac, this is sort of the Holy Grail for Arma IMO

Bear in mind, for every time something awesome happens, there are 100 cases of getting sniped unexpectedly and sitting out for the remaining hours of the mission.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Ralith posted:

Bear in mind, for every time something awesome happens, there are 100 cases of getting sniped unexpectedly and sitting out for the remaining hours of the mission.

Or getting disconnected.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Chortles posted:

drat. Anyone wanna run a mission tonight?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Illuminati by Nature posted:

United Operations runs on similar standards as ShackTac but with being less closed off, and the community is generally pretty good. Just avoid mission critical roles and people have no issue with you learning the systems.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
So does this game actually save now? I wish I could play some co-op missions with friends, but BI had different ideas last time we played.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Do you mean "is this game safe from hacking"?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
No because I can guess the answer to that.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Maybe you should word your question a bit better, then someone might be able to help you.

quote:

So does this game actually save now?

If you are referring to save as in game saves, I'm not sure why this was essential to you playing co-op with friends

quote:

But BI had different ideas last time we played

Explain the issue, rather then being snarky.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Thread's always going to be slow during alpha development, have some pictures of army men! I don't really know what I'm doing with the screenshot function but it's pretty cool, albeit buggy.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 16, 2013

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Thread's always going to be slow during alpha development, have some pictures of army men! I don't really know what I'm doing with the screenshot function but it's pretty cool, albeit buggy.

I love that picture; dude's just flouncing away from that explosion. I've been playing with fog they added in the development branch.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Personally I thought that this was a great series:

Not part of the series, still good.

An interview with Lukas "Luca" Haladik" (pronounced "Lutsa"), a design lead who's been with BI for five years. What I thought to be highlights:

quote:

Can you pick one new feature/task/concept you’re working on now and tell a bit more about it?

Lukas Haladik (Luca):
Well, I’m working on a new squad concept. In the past our squads consisted of 10 soldiers, but now we are moving to a more concentrated squad concept with 8 men. We felt that it’s too difficult to micro-manage 10 soldiers when you're the leader. A squad of 8, where each soldier has been assigned a specific role, gives you more leeway for leading and micro-managing. The roles are not fully decided yet, but it's coming along pretty well.

The scenario editor in Arma games has been a continuous source of creativity and fun. What is the most significant improvement to the editor in Arma 3?

Lukas Haladik (Luca):
The editor layout is now customizable, and people can choose from a couple of preset layouts. Alternatively, you can load external layouts, such as those created by the community.

Secondly, we added a mini-intel section, where you can quickly change the time or weather of the mission – including the settings for wind, rain, waves and lightning.

I personally really like the concealable UI, which gives you more space for editing on the screen. The buttons for ‘config’ and ‘functions viewer’ are also really useful. Without going into too much technical detail, there have been a lot of minor changes in different dialogues of the UI which made it more clear and accessible.

quote:

The Arma 3 Alpha has been released and in that time we’ve seen three updates. Could you name a few things that have changed or are being evaluated based on feedback?

Lukas Haladik (Luca):
We've taken the need for a stance indicator into serious consideration, as it was one of the most requested features. But there's always work to do in terms of balancing. Hence, we've recently hired a new game balance designer. The interviews we did were really exciting as we tried a different approach. The applicants had to answer our questions while playing a co-op game, and also tried to design and balance some of the weapons. We wanted to create a different experience for the applicants and also explore their gaming skills, their designing potential, overall creativity and communication skills.

But to elaborate, balance is really important - not only for content assets, but also in terms of small tweaks in the AI behavior, reaction and precision. Our goal is to make the game enjoyable and believable, which means that we need to cross reference the game with reality, and make the best of it. You’ll probably notice that in firefights, you are often being shot at but not killed instantly. This is the way we would like to go. Before, the AI was really deadly. This is definitely not to say that Arma 3 isn’t challenging anymore, it’s mostly less frustrating.

Looking ahead, what will your team work on towards release of the Arma 3?

Lukas Haladik (Luca):
We really need to focus on the basis of Arma 3’s gameplay, which is infantry. I would like us to refine the controls and fluidity of the game play further. We also still need to revise the equipment, which can be improved in some aspects and needs more balancing. Also, we will be looking at the grenades and handling of weapons: there is a big recoil enhancement going on, and some more cool stuff about which we can hopefully tell more in the near future.
While that stance indicator isn't finalized, I found one in the upper right corner of this in a BIWiki article about the communication menu HUD:

More on Arma 3's mission-related screens for mission makers, which also links to said communication menu's article.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 17, 2013

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Chortles posted:

While that stance indicator isn't finalized, I found one in the upper right corner of this in a BIWiki article about the communication menu HUD:

That scroll down menu of support you call in strikes a bit too close to Operation Flashpoint for my tastes, what I always liked about ARMA 2 (with mods) was that your CAS, your Artillery, could be other humans, could make human mistakes, it wasn't just a tool to call down.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Conot posted:

That scroll down menu of support you call in strikes a bit too close to Operation Flashpoint for my tastes, what I always liked about ARMA 2 (with mods) was that your CAS, your Artillery, could be other humans, could make human mistakes, it wasn't just a tool to call down.

That will exist in A3 just like the automated-tool-that-you-call-down artillery strikes are an option in A2.

To clarify, I'm not claiming A3 will have ACE2 style arty by default, but rather saying nothing about that supports menu makes ACE Arty impossible, because that supports system is ported straight from A2. I suspect vanilla A3 will have the same limited manual arty options that were there in vanilla A2.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 17, 2013

timairborne
Aug 19, 2012

hailthefish posted:

That will exist in A3 just like the automated-tool-that-you-call-down artillery strikes are an option in A2.

The cool thing is they made it to where you can adjust the firing arc to get multiple shells on a simultaneous impact.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It may/seems to be just a UI thing for using what hailthefish just called the "automated-tool-that-you-call-down artillery strikes"... but someone has also (or even before) made a support menu for MP where group leaders pick a group member in a helicopter, choose attack or transport, pick the spot, and the selected group member gets a Task to perform an attack run or landing at that spot, with the group leader then getting menu options to call the task successful, failed or cancelled.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, it's a tidied up UI for the A3 equivalent of the Simple Support Module in A2. You can drop it on the map and monkey with the inits and access it through the 0-8 menu. There's a DIFFERENT call support option under 5.. I think it's 5-5, that one is, I believe, for groups operating under a "support" waypoint type which relies on units from the various support unit menus (fuel, repair, ambulance, etc) to come and assist..

Would be nice if A3 unfucked the multiple in-built support methods a little but from that screenshot it looks like they've made the menu a little easier to read but not significantly simplified which... I dunno. It's fine. On the one hand, too simple and it loses depth, but on the other hand, do we really need two different menus named "Call Support" which use two different but vaguely similar things.

And Chortles, that little automated task generating script is kind of neat for generating MP support objectives on the fly. Seems like it would be handy for some missions for a UO/GoonTac sort of an environment.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question for the screen shot guys; how are you taking the shot itself? Like I can get into Splendid Cam but I don't see any sort of capture command. Though I didn't try the Steam F12, I figured it would just capture the splendid cam
UI and everything.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

Question for the screen shot guys; how are you taking the shot itself? Like I can get into Splendid Cam but I don't see any sort of capture command. Though I didn't try the Steam F12, I figured it would just capture the splendid cam
UI and everything.

I'm not sure but if you hit H it hides the UI then you can just steam cap. :v:

Evasive maneuvers!

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 18, 2013

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I enjoy Arma 2 mostly by myself, dinking around in the mission editor and what not. Does Arma 3 offer anything new for a forever-alone type of player like me? I'm really tempted to buy the Alpha.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

DarthJeebus posted:

I enjoy Arma 2 mostly by myself, dinking around in the mission editor and what not. Does Arma 3 offer anything new for a forever-alone type of player like me? I'm really tempted to buy the Alpha.

a) Improved mouse controls, its hard to explain this without a comparison, but trust me, if you play infantry, you will notice the difference.

b) Better optimization of graphics performance (ARMA 3 actually runs better then ARMA 2 for me in a lot of situations)

c) ARMA 3 is focused around modern and "near-future" weapons, so there is stuff in ARMA 3 that is plain not possible in ARMA 2, not to mention modding and mission editor are getting a overhaul.

Would I get the Alpha? In your instance, probably not, a lot of stuff has yet to be implemented. I would say, join the ARMA 3 Goons group and join us next time we have a game night, you might find multiplayer funner then you would expect.

e: Or better yet, look into United Operations and stuff like that, which works with ARMA 2 and is fairly relaxed as a multiplayer community.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DarthJeebus posted:

I would recommend getting it, the change in controls and stances are a huuge improvement, but the main reason I would recommend getting it is the simple fact that the price is way cheaper now than it will be once beta and final release hits. The content included is fairly limited to infantry combat, with there only being support/transport vehicles, but that will purportedly change once beta hits.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I still have all of my lite invites if you want to post/pm your steam info. That way you can at least tinker around a bit.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Gooch181 posted:

I still have all of my lite invites if you want to post/pm your steam info. That way you can at least tinker around a bit.

Edit: lite received, thanks Gooch!

To be honest, multiplayer does sound like quite a bit of fun. The idea of working together to accomplish objectives appeals to me. I just don't want to get screamed at for accidentally getting lost or forgetting to salute or whatever. :v:

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 19, 2013

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DarthJeebus posted:

I definitely would love to give Arma3 lite a spin. I don't have PMs but here's my Steam info.

To be honest, multiplayer does sound like quite a bit of fun. The idea of working together to accomplish objectives appeals to me. I just don't want to get screamed at for accidentally getting lost or forgetting to salute or whatever. :v:

There are groups that do this, you just have to make sure you choose the right groups to play with. I've heard United Operations is okay, but if you gently caress up on mission critical roles I've heard of people getting verbally chewed up. Playing with goons is obviously really chill. Check out the 'Other Groups' section and the stuff past it on this article, it's pretty on mark on what to look for.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Mederlock posted:

There are groups that do this, you just have to make sure you choose the right groups to play with. I've heard United Operations is okay, but if you gently caress up on mission critical roles I've heard of people getting verbally chewed up. Playing with goons is obviously really chill. Check out the 'Other Groups' section and the stuff past it on this article, it's pretty on mark on what to look for.

Effectively, UO is entirely chillaxed unless your role plays a large part in the missions success (i.e. pilot of the transport chopper thats carrying half the server, leader of the mission, leader of a platoon), which you shouldn't really be playing while you're inexperienced with UO and the ACE stuff. I've literally played mortars having never learnt how to do them before, and while some people were snarky in the after-mission about how ineffective mortars were, there was no chewing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mederlock posted:

I would recommend getting it, the change in controls and stances are a huuge improvement, but the main reason I would recommend getting it is the simple fact that the price is way cheaper now than it will be once beta and final release hits.
It should be added that beta is hinted to be only a few weeks away so you have until then for the current pricing of 20 quid, 25 euros, US$33; upon beta it goes up to 30 quid, 35 euros, US$45; upon final release it goes up again to 40 quid, 45 euros, US$60.

I for one still have two one Alpha Lite invites if anyone is willing to post or PM their Steam info!

EDIT: Anyone given this free-for-all deathmatch (DM) a try? It looks cool, not least since you can have AI bots in place of other players and LAN play, and it might be a good "mission" for goons learning the controls or coming over from a conventional shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gThnl5uX0HM&hd=1

Also... have some Gun Game TDM.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 26, 2013