Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

A problem I have with a low sweep-the-pad sensitivity, which is indeed a lot better for twitch FPSs, is that it does not mesh well with a wrist rest, and I consider a wrist rest essential. Making the two work together would require, I believe, a rigid low-attrition mouse pad as well as one of those wrist rests with a strap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

NihilCredo posted:

A problem I have with a low sweep-the-pad sensitivity, which is indeed a lot better for twitch FPSs, is that it does not mesh well with a wrist rest, and I consider a wrist rest essential. Making the two work together would require, I believe, a rigid low-attrition mouse pad as well as one of those wrist rests with a strap.

A trackball with a huge ball accomplishes pretty much the same thing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I play CS:GO with a sensitivity of 3, 2600dpi set on my Gigabyte Krypton mouse (no mouse acceleration and 1:1 dpi mouse fix for windows) and I feel like is when I played CS 1.5 with my old lovely optic mouse back in 2002. I don't know the math but why am I not spinning around considering that I play with such high dpi on videogames? I'm kinda disconnected on that matter and I set up my mouse to what I feel.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Male Man posted:

A trackball with a huge ball accomplishes pretty much the same thing.

If you're considering playing an FPS with a trackball, you're at the point where you really don't need to worry about what sensitivity you would be using with a mouse.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Guillermus posted:

I play CS:GO with a sensitivity of 3, 2600dpi set on my Gigabyte Krypton mouse (no mouse acceleration and 1:1 dpi mouse fix for windows) and I feel like is when I played CS 1.5 with my old lovely optic mouse back in 2002. I don't know the math but why am I not spinning around considering that I play with such high dpi on videogames? I'm kinda disconnected on that matter and I set up my mouse to what I feel.

Wow, that's a 2.1 inch 360, how the hell do you control that?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Wow, that's a 2.1 inch 360, how the hell do you control that?

Does that mean that I need to move my mouse 2.1 inches to do a 360 turn? Yes, I'm really used to that since beta 5.2 (like 13 years ago). I even played CS competitively on the 1.0-1.5 days with a lovely logitech optical mouse with an ingame sens of around 4-4.5. People told me is high but I grew up on Quake/UT days and I'm used to move my hand less than others that seems to need for precision. That or is my old Allsop cloth pad wich somehow "lowers" the speed a lot, because when I use a steelseries I got as gift I need to go from 2600dpi to something like 1400-1600.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Funnily enough, my 360 is about 2.5 inches, and I also got used to it during CS beta 5.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
You guys would do a lot better with a 14-20" 360 in a game like CS:GO.

On that note, come join us http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531063 for 5v5 Goon games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

14-20"? Sounds like you need to move your hand A LOT just to check a corner unless you play walking 24/7 even on public matches.

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW

Guillermus posted:

14-20"? Sounds like you need to move your hand A LOT just to check a corner unless you play walking 24/7 even on public matches.

So I've been playing cs:go at a dpi of 5700 and a in game sens of 0.32. I'm used to every other game at 800 dpi. I own a g700 and with the default built in profiles nothing uses a default sens of 800 dpi.
I keep reading there's certain ways to have the best control over your aim by using high sens low dpi/low sens high dpi, looking up the sensor of your mouse to find it's natural dpi etc etc so what I'm asking is:

What is the best method to go about this for source/any games?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've been tweaking sensitivity on games based on what I feel more comfortable, not numbers since... Quake, in fact every time I got a new mouse I changed most of the games' settings. I'm a sperg on other gaming matters but not in that.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Guillermus posted:

Big mousepad, situational awareness, game sense. And don't play pubs. The benefits offset the negatives by far.

Jawtramp posted:

What is the best method to go about this for source/any games?
400/450 dpi, sens under 3. I can link you to a spreadsheet of pro players mouse settings if you'd like but they're all around that.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
The standard advice that I've heard seems to be that you should aim for about a 12" 360. This lets you make precise, small movements. If you need to whip around real quick you kind of have to get used to moving your whole arm a bit and not just your wrist.

I can't imagine a 20" 360 though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

"mcvey" posted:

400/450 dpi, sens under 3. I can link you to a spreadsheet of pro players mouse settings if you'd like but they're all around that.

Keep in mind though that they mostly don't play at 1080p either. High dpi doesn't work well with low resolution.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Mega Comrade posted:

Keep in mind though that they mostly don't play at 1080p either. High dpi doesn't work well with low resolution.

This is only true for old games (I think 1.6 might be one, I forget) that don't directly capture mouse input and work instead by reading the position of the (invisible) cursor and then moving it to the center of the screen each frame. That can result in negative acceleration when you are slamming your cursor into the edge of the screen in less than one frame because of your six billion DPI.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'd like to set things up so that I can put my computer in my dual-monitored office, but when I feel like, I can also use it on my media center TV via some sort of remote desktop shenanigans. Last I checked Remote Desktop itself isn't capable of this, but is there any hardware/software/etc that is? Or should I just pick one location or the other and be done?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I don't know exactly what you want to do here. Are you saying you want to put your PC down in one room and use it from a different room on a different monitor through a network solution? That means you must have a second PC hooked up to your media center TV to actually use remote desktop to access your main rig. Another option would be a long HDMI cable and a set of wireless mouse/keyboard, if it's not too far away, but that's less than ideal.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Samopsa posted:

I don't know exactly what you want to do here. Are you saying you want to put your PC down in one room and use it from a different room on a different monitor through a network solution? That means you must have a second PC hooked up to your media center TV to actually use remote desktop to access your main rig. Another option would be a long HDMI cable and a set of wireless mouse/keyboard, if it's not too far away, but that's less than ideal.

Pretty much, yeah. I mostly wonder if Remote Desktop is capable, or if not if there are similar apps that are, of handling things like games or sound systems. I'm guessing not, it was kind of a longshot question to start, but might as well check :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There's the unreleased NVidia Shield: http://shield.nvidia.com/play-pc-games

It's very much a developing market out there for that kind of stuff, but I feel like the demand is rising and there are better solutions being made with regularity. Shield is definitely a bit excessive though. It offers the ability to stream directly to the controller's attached screen or to a TV. There has to be some TV-only streaming solutions out there, but I'm not really all that familiar with this stuff.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, it's not really feasible to play high-end or twitch games through remote desktop, although legacy games and strategy etc should work if you can find a remote client that supports Direct3D (the standard Remote Desktop functionality windows provides does not support it IIRC). It still means you need a second PC to actually make the connection though!

e: it's actually easier to stream games through the internet from Onlive than from your desktop to your living room http://games.onlive.com/about

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 19, 2013

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW

mcvey posted:

Big mousepad, situational awareness, game sense. And don't play pubs. The benefits offset the negatives by far.

Sure, please post!

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Jawtramp posted:

Sure, please post!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Ar3-PLR9I0_MdGFVc1N1Vm5RSW5lTVJsVjRLVm45UlE&output=html
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuIgn0wycpRqdDV6ZkpOdy10MlF2SzZ0bDZ5QkZxNHc#gid=0

Plug those into here: http://www.notalent.org/sensitivity/sensitivity.htm to find out the inches/360.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Looking for any mouse recommendations. My current G500 is going out, the left mouse button randomly lets go when I'm trying to hold it (makes click n' drag really hard). This is my 2nd G500 and I think I want to try something else. I think I would benefit with something a little smaller for my smaller hands. A thumb button is a must and I'm actually thinking of going wireless so I don't have to deal with the cord anymore. I guess I'm looking for comfort over features, with my current G5 it just isn't feeling right with my hand on it.

The Logitech G700 looks neat, but it also looks like a giant mouse :|

Another one I was looking at was was Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5 Gaming Mouse. Even though it isn't wireless it looks like it lets you adjust pretty much every surface of the mouse.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks to the sensitivity calculator turns out that my windows sensitivity wasn't the default but much lower (3) and now my mouse is flying at 1600dpi. I had a Microsoft Sidewinder X8 previously and I think it messed with windows sens every time I switched dpi because I never changed that in years since I got that mouse. :v:

Thank you because now I can set up my Krypton properly for any other computer without having to worry about dpi settings.

Edit: The lowest dpi I can use is 1000 (with 6 on windows sensitivity and 3 in-game). If I go lower I can't play UT or any old-school fps (or Battlefield), but is still 5.5 per 360 on the calculator, yet it feels WAAAAAAY lower in-game.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 20, 2013

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Danith posted:

Another one I was looking at was was Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5 Gaming Mouse. Even though it isn't wireless it looks like it lets you adjust pretty much every surface of the mouse.
I'm about to replace my R.A.T. 7 with a Logitech. The Cyborg works most of the time, but once an hour it'll seemingly lock to only a single axis for a few infuriating seconds (which really fucks up my Starcraft games).

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Less Fat Luke posted:

I'm about to replace my R.A.T. 7 with a Logitech. The Cyborg works most of the time, but once an hour it'll seemingly lock to only a single axis for a few infuriating seconds (which really fucks up my Starcraft games).

Ahh thanks for the info. I was looking through user reviews and saw someone else mention that and figured he accidently hit a hot key or something that did that

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

notZaar posted:

What's a good dust filter to keep the air coming into my PC relatively dust-free? It should be a material that's easy to cut and attach to the case so I can cover all the openings, and of course it should capture all but the finest dust.
Just buy some air conditioner filter - it's cheap spongy material that you can cut to fit with any scissors. You can get it at amazon or walmart or wherever.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BO96IW

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

How does that stuff affect airflow? Would a stock Intel fan need any extra effort to keep it going?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Oh here we go again

quote:

Only the next-generation console versions of FIFA 14, not the Windows PC version, will use the new Ignite engine, said Electronic Arts' Rob Hodson on Twitter.

"Clarification for the PC-related questions earlier — EA Sports Ignite will power FIFA 14 on Xbox One and [PlayStation 4], not PC," said Hodson, the U.K. community manager for EA's FIFA franchise. We reached out to FIFA 14 developer EA Canada, and a representative for the studio confirmed that fact.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/22/4355568/fifa-14-pc-no-ignite-engine

This really did well for SEGA and their PS2 to PC halfassery.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

Oh here we go again

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/22/4355568/fifa-14-pc-no-ignite-engine

This really did well for SEGA and their PS2 to PC halfassery.

This was obviously what was going to happen, it's what they did at the start of the current gen when we got ports of the ps2 version for years. Thank god EA are here to save us from the tyranny of Gaben.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Is this because they don't want to invest the resources to port this new engine to the PC just yet? I wonder what other reason there could be.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

notZaar posted:

Is this because they don't want to invest the resources to port this new engine to the PC just yet? I wonder what other reason there could be.
I wish we got the current-gen versions of most sports games ... NHL just up and gave up on PC which is a shame.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

notZaar posted:

In this upcoming generation, they're really running out of excuses (other than :supaburn: piracy :supaburn:) not to bring games to the PC. Same CPU architecture and same graphics APIs.

I think in this case you just write it off as :ea:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Considering with Steam and Origin and really any DD platform that requires you to authenticate a game to your account, there is no breaking street dates like there have been on console while people on PC actually have to wait until someone throws a switch/presses a button to let people decrypt a preload or allow them to download/buy their game.

It may be that the XBONE and PS4 will do that but conveniently forget that is also true on on PC and just piracy_excuses.txt all day, every day.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Microsoft banned swathes of people from Xbox live for playing a game before release. If memory serves it was a game bought in France, with an earlier release date, and played somewhere else where it hadn't been released.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

YourAverageJoe posted:

How does that stuff affect airflow? Would a stock Intel fan need any extra effort to keep it going?
Filters don't affect airflow. Your exhaust fan is going to be moving x-amount of air out of your case every second no matter what, which means new air is going to be coming in no matter what, and that's mostly what matters to your processor fan.

Just don't let them get really clogged up with dust. Wash them out every so often. Otherwise all that air will no longer be coming from your filtered intake but through every other hole in your case like your disc drive, usb ports, power button, etc. and they're not filtered... which defeats the purpose of having a filtered intake.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 23, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
My guess would be with a lot of the games industry really needing the next gen consoles to succeed EA are holding back on the good engine on PC to encourage people to buy those new consoles. Sony / MS may have bribed them to do so but they're probably doing it for free.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The first few FIFAs on the current gen were a big pile of poo poo so maybe it's for the best.

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

If the new FIFA engine is built around 8 cores I could see why they'd struggle to bring it to pc at the minute. FIFA 13 runs on fairly low spec machines so they might have a lot of complaints if it suddenly requires a fast quad core. A lot of people wouldn't understand or wouldn't check the requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

Microsoft banned swathes of people from Xbox live for playing a game before release. If memory serves it was a game bought in France, with an earlier release date, and played somewhere else where it hadn't been released.

MS has never banned people for playing games that retailers sold early. They've only banned people for playing games that were pirated.

• Locked thread