Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Taking the stream down for maintenence before something breaks? What happened to the unstable GBS-fm I know and love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

DaWolfey posted:

We're down for scheduled maintenance. We won't be back for at least 24, possibly 48 hours.

What is being fixed/upgraded?

We have a refugee camp here while it lasts: http://open.soundrop.fm/s/WaRAqXSPI1ZD87Ix

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
And now we're back!

Add some Klaus!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

God loving drat. Third time today I'm hearing Eläkeläiset on the radio. I might as well be listening to gbs.fm.

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008
I'm sure that people would complain a lot less if companies used GBS.FM as their hold music.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

"Thank you for calling, Please hold"
*Hold music is Basket of Death*
"Hello? Oh drat, another hangup"

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
I want a Klaus Wunderlich elevator.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Warning: tech stuff.

I tried to reply to http://gbs.fm/forum/thread/492/ but pressing submit keeps giving me a 500 - Internal Server Error.

DaWolfey posted:

We updated Shoutcast to Shoutcast 2 build 29 on 2011-08-03

Please post any problems you encouter.

Things we already know about :
...snip...
Some dongs are causing shoutcast to crash. Shoutcast will restart but a mod may need to press butan.
Post the offending dong itt

Yeah it's one and a half years old but no one else is doing any gbs-fm development apparently.

Here's my would be post:

Is this still a problem on G2? I've been messing around with the G3 image, I have it set so that it only uses sc_trans and sc_serv (no ices). This apparently just plays random dongs. I ran into a problem where sc_serv would "randomly" exit with the following in blahblah.../sc_serv/nohup.out:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): XML parser error: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 6

This is apparently related to the following xml data created by sc_trans (I'm reading this from .../sc_trans/nohup.out):

...xml stuff...
<title seq="1"><8B@89 <8B@8528G (>AB0:>28G - Symphony No. 14, Op. 135: I. De Profundis: Adagio</title>
...more xml stuff...

As you can see it's
A) Not encoding utf-8 correctly (well, take my word for it - the correct artist is shown later).
B) putting < and > characters inside an xml tag in a way that causes obviously invalid xml.

There's an "updated" version of sc_trans that fixes A and B (I put "updated" in quotes because it's from october, 2011...). Running the updated sc_trans gives me:

...xml stuff...
<title seq="1">Дмитрий Дмитриевич Шостакович - Symphony No. 14, Op. 135:
I. De Profundis: Adagio</title>
...more xml stuff...

Now, I guess G2 uses ices rather than sc_trans, but I'm also going to guess that sc_serv is crashing (or exitting) due to bad xml being sent to it by whatever. Which is a stupid thing for a server to do. I guess Someone forgot to handle an exception while using a xml parsing library.

So IF my assumptions about the causes of the crash and the way g2 works are correct, we can fix this for G2 in one of the following ways:

A) Aggressively edit mp3 metadata so that it doesn't generate invalid xml. This would probably mean banning utf-8/unicode/whateves for uniformities sake.
B) If it's ices that's making the invalid xml, then we might be able to fix this by editing and recompiling the ices sourcecode.
C) It would sure be nice if there was a shoutcast server that didn't crash because something gave it invalid xml.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 9, 2013

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Well, We're having a Pink Floyd block at the moment, its been going on for the last 3 6 hours.

Edit: Why do I always pick the bad recordings.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 9, 2013

RandomlyEpic
Jan 7, 2013
On vacation and looking for some good music to and of course and I can turn to my Goons to give me some good tunes to listen to at all times. First time checking out the stream and I am loving it so far!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Lowen posted:

Warning: tech stuff.

Would this also have something to do with the bug that sub-20 second dongs are being repeated until they've played for more than 20 seconds? It makes short jingles kind of annoying, and they shouldn't be.

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

I've only been listening for 10 minutes and I'm already in love :swoon:

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Merijn posted:

Would this also have something to do with the bug that sub-20 second dongs are being repeated until they've played for more than 20 seconds? It makes short jingles kind of annoying, and they shouldn't be.

I didn't know about that bug, but no. What I was talking about is strictly a text encoding issue with ices and SHOUTcast DNAS 2.0 aka sc_serv, and older versions of sc_trans.

It only comes up with dongs that have unicode metadata (title, artist, etc). In my testing the dong plays fine, but if I connect to the test station via winamp, I don't see any metadata, or get the metadata for the last song played.
For fun I left Winamp connected while it played one of the bad dongs over and over - it played fine but added a (station name) tag to the end every time so I got (G2VM) (G2VM) (G2VM) (G2VM) (G2VM) (G2VM) (G2VM) (G2VM) (G2VM) or something like that showing in my Winamp playlist.

If I use the shoutcast admin.cgi to lookup the last played songs it also complains about bad xml and doesn't show anything, but doesn't crash either.

If I then reconnect via Winamp while the bad dong is playing, the station crashes. sc_serv exits saying something about bad xml, and the transcoder (ices, in the case of G2) quits soon after because it can't connect to sc_serv.

Once I managed to get the server to crash by putting a < in an artist name and tested the same thing on the live GBS-FM (with permission), but it didn't work. I can't replicate that on my test server now, and it seems to encode < safely with
code:
&lt
. My guess is it crashed that one time because it had the bad unicode metadata cached and was trying to send that.

Some more information in case anyone is curious. I've poured over logs, added additional logging in views.py, etc in order to determine where the fault lies:

pydj/playlist/views.py next() seems fine, it apparently encodes things safely for xml and supports international characters correctly.
ices grabs that and apparently can't deal with international characters.

ices then sends the metadata with garbled international characters (potentially garbled as <,>, etc) to sc_serv, which seems ok with it until a client reconnects and causes sc_serv to realize it has badly formed xml, then it quits.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 13, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Has Weird Al finally died? EDIT: Nevermind I somehow read Beatles as Weird Al.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Today is classical music appreciation day

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Apparently all we need to hold listeners is non-stop classical music.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's one of Those Days.

(it's all Kilonum's fault)

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
The popeathon begins soon.

e: grammar

Odysseus S. Grant fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 13, 2013

Nomean
Jul 14, 2003
Both of my hands are currently in my pants
I long for the days of Sandra Dahlberg and random Howard Stern clips. I miss you kalleboo. Hjälp!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

You guys should check the forums ever. Namely the snack exchange. Hint.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Site and stream are down, possible DNS shenanigans afoot.

E: Back now. The site works in mysterious ways.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 17, 2013

batmansdrawers
Jan 1, 2006

Y-Y-Y-Yoda
lost my password, and there is no retrieval function.

Thinking of starting back up the crushmonkey radio show or whatever I called it. Got proper turntables now.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

batmansdrawers posted:

lost my password, and there is no retrieval function.

Thinking of starting back up the crushmonkey radio show or whatever I called it. Got proper turntables now.

You'd have to start up the show on GhettoRadio! No more DJ show integration on GBS, sadly.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, if you never started an account on gbs.fm (old was gbs-fm.info or something) then your account was wiped completely.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

batmansdrawers posted:

Come on over and restart that show. Best place to come for information is the IRC channel #ghettoradio on synirc.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Site's currently down. Any ETA on when it and the stream will be back up?

dablakh0l
Sep 3, 2002
...and me here unable to jack in...

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
We're back now, everythings fine here. No idea what caused it yet.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
:siren: New Peachstapler painting now available in SA Mart for pre-order. Ships later this month.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Nihiliste posted:

Site's currently down. Any ETA on when it and the stream will be back up?

:(

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Site and stream are back...for now.

ElBob
May 16, 2004

Kaylee, what the hell's going on in the engine room? Were there monkeys?
Here's a little AppleScript I wrote to upload songs that GBS FM from inside iTunes. You'll need growl helper app installed for notifications to work, and the ffmpeg binary installed either in a path referenced by your bash_profile, or in the default path.

Sorry, Mac only obviously.

code:
on run

set GBSFMuser to "USERNAME HERE"
	set GBSFMpass to "PASSWORD HERE"

growlsetup()

tell application "iTunes"
		set selectedTracks to selection

repeat with thisTrack in selectedTracks
			set trackName to (get artist of thisTrack as string) & " - " & (get name of thisTrack as string)
			set thisTrackPath to quote & (POSIX path of (get location of thisTrack as alias) as string) & quote
			set trackKind to kind of thisTrack as string

if trackKind is not "MPEG audio file" then
				tell application id "com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp"
					notify with name ¬
						"Converting" title ¬
						"Converting to MP3" description ¬
						trackName application name "Upload to GBS-FM"
				end tell

set outputFile to quote & "/tmp/" & trackName & ".mp3" & quote
				do shell script "source ~/.bash_profile;ffmpeg -i " & thisTrackPath & " -f mp3 -ar 44100 -ab 320k -ac 2 " & outputFile
				set thisTrackPath to outputFile
			end if

notify with name ¬
					"Uploading" title ¬
					"Uploading to GBS-FM" description ¬
			end tell

do shell script "curl -T " & thisTrackPath & " ftp://gbs.fm:2100 --user " & GBSFMuser & ":" & GBSFMpass
			if trackKind is not "MPEG audio file" then
				do shell script "rm " & thisTrackPath
			end if

notify with name ¬
					"Finished" title ¬
					"Finished uploading to GBS-FM" description ¬
			end tell
		end repeat
	end tell
end run

on growlsetup()
	--Check if Growl is running
	tell application "System Events"
		set isRunning to (count of (every process whose bundle identifier is "com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp")) > 0
	end tell

if isRunning then
			set the allNotificationsList to ¬
				{"Uploading", "Finished", "Converting"}

set the enabledNotificationsList to ¬
				{"Uploading", "Finished", "Converting"}

register as application ¬
				"Upload to GBS-FM" all notifications allNotificationsList ¬
				default notifications enabledNotificationsList ¬
				icon of application "AppleScript Editor"
		end tell
	end if
end growlsetup

ElBob fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 20, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You might want to change your password now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who needs a script when you can just drag and drop a bunch of files from the Itunes window to an FTP icon? Overengineering is bad, folks.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
We should do GBS.tv again. There are better solutions for streaming nowadays than there were six years ago.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

ashgromnies posted:

We should do GBS.tv again. There are better solutions for streaming nowadays than there were six years ago.

Yeah, but people still have the same amount of time to spend watching video streams as they did back then. I listen to the audio stream while I'm working or driving or folding laundry. If I have time to sit and watch videos, I'm definitely not letting you assholes pick them for me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beelzebozo posted:

Yeah, but people still have the same amount of time to spend watching video streams as they did back then. I listen to the audio stream while I'm working or driving or folding laundry. If I have time to sit and watch videos, I'm definitely not letting you assholes pick them for me.

Considering gbs.fm:s tastes* in music this is wise.

*)i.e. mostly boring pedestrian stuff

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Jerry Cotton's last ten additions posted:

Nena (99 Luftballons) - 99 Luftballons (Sun 19th May 2013 at 4:51:46 PM)
Austrian Death Machine (A Very Brutal Christmas) - Jingle Bells (Fri 17th May 2013 at 10:01:22 AM)
Rebecca Black, as performed by Bob Dylan () - Friday (Thu 16th May 2013 at 10:31:44 PM)

Just in case anyone might get the idea this guy in an authority on anything music-related.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rushputin posted:

Just in case anyone might get the idea this guy in an authority on anything music-related.

Thanks for the support I guess :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Jerry Cotton posted:

Considering gbs.fm:s tastes* in music this is wise.

*)i.e. mostly boring pedestrian stuff

Get back to me when the majority of your adds aren't dumb gimmick crap for nerds.

• Locked thread