Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ambitious Spider posted:

I never knew about the special powers in Kid Chameleon. Maybe that's why I never beat it.

Most of them don't help as much as you'd think. The most notable powers IIRC are 50 crystals for an extra life from the axe-murderer mask, and a cheapo 2-crystal damaging beam for Cyclops which makes him suck that much less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm getting dangerously close to finished recording Ecco, but my last take of the final level ended with me so sure I was close to the end only to find out that I was barely halfway through :smithicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The only thing I remembered up to now of Ecco is that the final level was an absolute loving horrorshow. I wish you the best of luck :ohdear:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I played a disjointed amount of Ecco back in the day, and if the last level is the one I'm thinking of with all the loving -snip- and the randomly direction-changing autoscrolling level then yeah, godspeed sir.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

The Protagonist posted:

I played a disjointed amount of Ecco back in the day, and if the last level is the one I'm thinking of with all the loving -snip- and the randomly direction-changing autoscrolling level then yeah, godspeed sir.

Don't forget that if the final boss eats you, you have to do that level again! :haw:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Don't forget that if the final boss eats you, you have to do that level again! :haw:

I'll have to remember to dig up the Japanese version for its fun and exciting twist there.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I actually don't think there's any music for the level. All the odd sounds are the SFX of the two enemies. And they're very unpleasant. This is TOTALLY a tech demo level they just crammed in there to have something else.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

frozentreasure posted:

It really doesn't take that long to get a moth out of the way or kill it. And I'm not sure I fully get what you mean by "a timing puzzle with only one solution".

The spike placement limits you to one specific path, which you can only move on with a specific timing because of the enemies. Maybe it's the already cramped caves or maybe it plays differently than it appears.
I'll probably get it because on normal it looks like an ok game, so let me get back to you on this.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Hel posted:

The spike placement limits you to one specific path, which you can only move on with a specific timing because of the enemies. Maybe it's the already cramped caves or maybe it plays differently than it appears.
I'll probably get it because on normal it looks like an ok game, so let me get back to you on this.

I think it's mainly because it's such a small path to follow to begin with. The game opens up at the dining halls, so I guess we'll find out together if it's as restrictive then. Still, I don't really have a problem with being asked to follow one specific path with good timing; that's basically what a platformer is, isn't it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Update

Ecco the Dolphin part 11: Deep City

This level is kind of uninteresting. There's one huge jump at the start then some pretty standard farting around in caves looking for glyphs to get past things crap. Not much tension except for the room with our latest pufferfish AI update.

On the bright side I just finished recording everything and the levels are about to get really nasty for the rest of the game.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure that level is about as far as I got in Ecco, it would've been a lot easier if I'd known that you could sing to those statues for some invulnerability and a refill.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, why not. Let's have a run at a game that is fairly infamous for making people go 'Wah this game is hard'.

Let's Play Spiderman and Venom: Maximum Carnage!

So is it as hard as advertised?

Yes. It's chock full of cheapass enemies who love to swoop in and nail you while you're busy fighting other enemies. Particularly the bosses, who will chew through your lives like no one's business. And you have limited continues. Not that I need them, for I'm going to try to beat this thing with nary a death! Can pretty much guarantee I won't succeed at that (Carnage himself is pretty much a boss built to ruin your poo poo), but eh.

But is is fun?

I think so. Admittedly, I'm a great big comic nerd, so I geek out over getting to summon Captain America to belt Demogoblin in the face with his shield. The game is unforgiving, but not insurmountable. It has a surprising amount of replay value, with Spiderman and Venom having their own stories (And in a nice touch, your helper characters will use different attacks depending on who you are. Generally, they bust out more violent stuff when you're using Venom).

The game also has a bitchin soundtrack by Green Jelly, which is the main reason I'm doing this with subtitles (push the CC button at the bottom of the video). I think it gains more from having the music running than it would me talking over it.

Stage 1: Zoot Suit Riot
Stage 2: Ups and Downs
Stage 3: gently caress You, Fat Guys
Stage 4: Tandyyyyyyy!
Stage 5 (Venom Route): We Are Venom!
Stage 6 (Venom Route): Park Mugging
Stage 5+6 (Spidey Route): Demogoblin
Stage 7 (Venom Route): A Bag of Umbrella Wielding Dicks
Stage 8 (Venom Route): Blood on the Dance Floor
Stage 8 Blooper Reel
Stage 9 (Venom Route): Reed Richards is a Dick
Stage 10 (Venom Route): Repetitive Stress Disorder
Stage 10: gently caress You Muzzoid
Stage 11 (Venom Route): I Hate Carrion
Stage 12 (Venom Route): Get Them My Minions!
Stage 13 (Venom Route): I Love You Monkey Captain America

Stage 7 (Spidey Route): The Umbrella Guys Still Suck
Stage 8 (Spidey Route): Spidey Dance Party
Stage 9 (Spidey Route): Reed Richards Is Still a Dick
Stage 10 (Spidey Route): gently caress You Muzzoid
Stage 11 (Spidey Route): Carrion Blues
Stage 12 (Spidey Route): Watch, Watch Morbius! Morbius Compels You!
Stage 13 (Spidey Route): Really, gently caress Carrion
Stage 14 (Spidey Route): gently caress the Police
Stage 15 (Spidey Route): Psychotherapy
Stage 16 (Spidey Route): Cheese
Stage 17 (Spidey Route): Not the End

Stage 18: Carnage Sucks
Stage 19: Carnage Really Sucks

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 27, 2015

CyanideMonkey
Jun 6, 2004
I'll cut the words from your mouth, you'll never speak my name again.

DeathChicken posted:

The game also has a bitchin soundtrack by Green Jelly, which is the main reason I'm doing this with subtitles. I think it gains more from having the music running than it would me talking over it.

I didn't see any subtitles...

edit: also I'm retarded apparently.

CyanideMonkey fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 19, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

He's using captions (the CC button at the bottom of the video). The Tech Support Fort tried to get me to use them but users have to opt into them so no one actually sees them unless they're deaf or were watching certain anime releases that put subtitles there. They're also in a giant white font with a very thin outline by default, which can make them hard to read over bright videos.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

DeathChicken posted:

I remember borrowing this game from a friend in school years ago. It had a bright red cart, kind of like Doom on the SNES. This game is hard as hell and I never got very far in it... but the music is so good.

I'll be watching. Thanks for this.

CyanideMonkey
Jun 6, 2004
I'll cut the words from your mouth, you'll never speak my name again.

dis astranagant posted:

He's using captions (the CC button at the bottom of the video). The Tech Support Fort tried to get me to use them but users have to opt into them so no one actually sees them unless they're deaf or were watching certain anime releases that put subtitles there. They're also in a giant white font with a very thin outline by default, which can make them hard to read over bright videos.

Ahh, never had to turn those on before. I'm used to things just happening without knowing why.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Maximum Carnage is why Venom and Carnage will always and forever be my favorite Spider Man characters no matter what because I loved that game so much. I think I even got to Carnage.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Urrgh, I remember reading the first couple issues of the Maximum Carange series when I was little. The epitome of unpleasant 90s comicry...and music notwithstanding the game looks about its equal. For some reason it reminds me of the death and return of superman beat-em-up quite a bit. How often does it let you get away with a twin boss instakill like that?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I believe that's the first and last time you can pull that one, although there are a few other tricks. And oho will I be exploiting them. This game is cheap, so I shall be cheaper.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

DeathChicken posted:

Well, why not. Let's have a run at a game that is fairly infamous for making people go 'Wah this game is hard'.

I played this one a lot on the Genesis. It has a lot of cheap shots, but it's kinda fun. Love the music, though I find the SNES version to use that really stanky guitar synth a lot. I really wish Green Jelly released a non-console version of the soundtrack, besides the main theme. The next level has my favorite track.

I only beat the game once, and goddamn was it an ordeal. Good luck on not getting dead here!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ecco the Dolphin part 12: City of Forever

Time to do things the hard way. This level is fairly long even without having 5 minutes dedicated to the same 4 jumps. Still far from the most painful levels in the game. I don't remember if we've heard this song before, but it works quite well here.

We're entering into the final stretch, just a few prehistoric levels and then we finally get to meet our alien friends.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 19, 2013

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I loved Maximum Carnage, but was never able to beat it. There's a certain boss, midway through the game I think, I was never able to get past. I've never seen anyone do it either, so I look forward to seeing it done.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Since most folks have annotations off by default (otherwise every other video has LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE and CLICK HERE TO SEE MY 20 STUPID CAT VIDEOS plastered over the things we're actually trying to watch) if you're going to do commentary with annotations, captions, or dwarven moon-letters visible only under the light of a crescent moon during a spring equinox, could you mention it in the video description?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

Stage 1: Zoot Suit Riot

Ahaha the way you took out those bosses. :allears:

Also I never realized Ecco was so loving :psyduck:. I mean I heard stories, but man.

Also I'm not even playing it but watching these jumping sections makes me want to punch the creator of Ecco in the throat, Christ.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 19, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Speaking of which

Ecco the Dolphin part 13: Anachronisms, Ho!

Just me nerding over the local wildlife during the relatively easy first few prehistoric levels. The next video will include our first boss fight. Just think for a moment how horrible a boss in this game might be.

Dectilon: you spelled my username wrong in the OP.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
This is really weird because I *saw* all these levels as a kid but have no memories of actually beating any of them aside from the first few. I don't remember if we had a big sheet of level warp codes or what but I really can't believe that I ever beat any of these as a child.

Maybe I had some kind of Ecco fugue state.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Bruceski posted:

Since most folks have annotations off by default (otherwise every other video has LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE and CLICK HERE TO SEE MY 20 STUPID CAT VIDEOS plastered over the things we're actually trying to watch) if you're going to do commentary with annotations, captions, or dwarven moon-letters visible only under the light of a crescent moon during a spring equinox, could you mention it in the video description?

Thank you, I've been meaning to ask this very thing.

Meanwhile, I didn't realize that Maximum Carnage was a "hard" game. Huh. I think that's my personal case of "played it so drat much it didn't feel hard after a while". I had the Genesis version, in the limited red cart no less. I remember I bought it week one, along with MK2. Driving to the store with my mom to buy the two games I had been waiting a couple months to come out:
Mom: "So what's the names of the games you're buying sweetie?"
Choco: "Mortal Kombat 2, and Maximum Carnage!"
Mom: "What the hell kind of games are you playing these days son?!"
(note: My mom was cool, but the two titles together were kinda funny)

So...How far can you get with that fat guy gauntlet boss where Cloak and Dagger save you at the end? After months of trying I managed to get to where they no longer proc drops at all. :unsmigghh:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, one of the benefits of a no death run is that I don't have to mess around with that. Otherwise I'd be tempted to sit there for an hour and rack up lives. :v:

As is, I'll probably keep going until I slip up and they kill me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

This is really weird because I *saw* all these levels as a kid but have no memories of actually beating any of them aside from the first few. I don't remember if we had a big sheet of level warp codes or what but I really can't believe that I ever beat any of these as a child.

Maybe I had some kind of Ecco fugue state.

The password system is really easy to game and only rarely outright rejects input. I seem to recall the password to a fairly late level showing up in the manual, as well. Plus every cheat book ever printed the debug code and a full list of passwords.

I think I'll have this done in 3, maybe 4 more videos, not counting the death reel and maybe the extra level from the Japanese version. A big maybe on that last one because it's kinda dumb.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 19, 2013

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Yo Dect, I updated my Hard Corps OP with links to all the levels.

Some fun bits: The Japanese version of Kid Chameleon's boxart is a bit different from the other versions.

For one, anime. For two, the costumes look much more like their in-game sprites and not just like "kid wearing a silly hat."

UPDATE

Time for the next set of levels. Things don't get much tougher, but a few more mechanics and masks are added.

Highwater Pass I & II

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Update

Have another. Easy and short one, though it's kind of downhill from here.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Update

Ah. I never knew that secret room just had to be jumped into like that. I always thought it was some weird button combo.

I do like the enemies' grunts in the SNES version. The Genesis doesn't even have a noise for the ladies, which always weirded me out.

The soundtrack in this version feels very slow and hesitant. Climb doesn't sound as slow as something like the level complete theme, but it still feels a little disconnected note for note. Here's the Genesis version for comparison.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

DeathChicken posted:

Update

I have a minor complaint with the captions you are using. They go by very quickly so when yo have those 3 lines on screen I usually have to pause in order to read it. I guess I'm just a bit of a slow reader.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ecco the Dolphin part 14: Blowing this Dinosaur Stand

Time for some of that good old fashioned horrific difficulty. I have over 20 recordings for the 2 levels shown here and that's before I wised up and used a save state on the second one.

If you'd like an accurate dramatization of me playing the rest of the game, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LCGxuFujdI this is for you.

One video remains :suicide:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 20, 2013

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

dis astranagant posted:

One video remains :suicide:

Üdvözöljük a gépet. :getin:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And that,um, battle, at the end of Dark Water, is the part I never beat as a kid.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That boss was total loving bullshit, and just think, it has NOTHING on Welcome To The Machine, at least if my memory serves me right. :ohdear:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Welcome To The Machine was way too loving hard, but it kind of helped make the Vortex seem alien and terrifying to 9-year-old me. After the surprisingly easy-to-defeat Evil Alien Menaces of a bunch of other games, by comparison it made you feel like you were alone and trapped in some kind of oppressive, monstrous world that was inimical to your very existence. It was nerve-wracking and claustrophobic and made me feel miserable and frightened.
God, I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
From a purely aesthetic point of view, Welcome To The Machine is pretty brilliant. Deadly, swarming with monsters, ready to kill you at every turn, and blaring NOISE at you the entire time.

Of course this is at odds with actually playing the thing, which drove me into a frenzy the likes of which I didn't think possible.

• Locked thread