Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

I got the R6 running right, after cleaning and adjusting the float heights on the carbs for the forth time, I traced the problem to two bad ignition coils. I was not able to rule out the possibility that I'm an idiot.

I would share in at least 50% of the blame there. Considering I was the one who told you to clean the carbs again. And to check the float heights.

Thank god for you running it while I'm on the phone though, otherwise we would have been chasing for awhile longer. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Today for the first time ever I cleaned the bikes, well I used winddex and a microfiber towel but its something at least :v:

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
USPS has lost the forks I won on ebay...

So nothing for another week...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Changed the oil on the Futura, first time doing that on anything ever :toot: The manual says to get it done at the dealer, and gives no instructions; online sources say to let it drain overnight as it takes an eternity for the old oil to weep out, but I was impatient so it's not a perfect job. A bit nervous because the oil tank is reportedly made out of foil and over-torqueing the drain bolt by an inch-pound tears it to ribbons, hopefully it's in there tight enough. It hadn't dripped after a few hours, at least. Also had a bit of an oh poo poo moment - Motul full-synth 15W-50 isn't light brown like any new oil I've seen, it's bright coolant green, so even though it otherwise wouldn't have made any sense I still stopped and made sure I hadn't gotten a bottle of antifreeze by accident.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
There's always something. I put the 'new' rear tire on the R6 today. It's a Dunlop GP-A, a 190-55, up from the current 180-55. Installed with the correct chain slack it clears the swing arm by just a hair. I'm going to have to lengthen the chain to keep it from rubbing at speed.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also had a bit of an oh poo poo moment - Motul full-synth 15W-50 isn't light brown like any new oil I've seen, it's bright coolant green, so even though it otherwise wouldn't have made any sense I still stopped and made sure I hadn't gotten a bottle of antifreeze by accident.

That's neat, I use Motul synth 20w50 and it's bright red.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It also smells sweet like candy :3:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Snowdens Secret posted:

Changed the oil on the Futura, first time doing that on anything ever :toot: The manual says to get it done at the dealer, and gives no instructions; online sources say to let it drain overnight as it takes an eternity for the old oil to weep out, but I was impatient so it's not a perfect job. A bit nervous because the oil tank is reportedly made out of foil and over-torqueing the drain bolt by an inch-pound tears it to ribbons, hopefully it's in there tight enough. It hadn't dripped after a few hours, at least. Also had a bit of an oh poo poo moment - Motul full-synth 15W-50 isn't light brown like any new oil I've seen, it's bright coolant green, so even though it otherwise wouldn't have made any sense I still stopped and made sure I hadn't gotten a bottle of antifreeze by accident.

You're wasting money on that oil - Aprilias love Rotella T 15-40 and seem to not take well to synth in general. Not really sure what you're talking about regarding letting the oil drain out overnight. You do want to undo the cap to the right of the filter as that does drain a fair amount of oil. Filling / checking the oil is kinda stupid on these bikes - just stick with whatever the recommended fill quantity is then get it nice and warm / level then check the level. Also the difference in level between low and totally full is a seriously small amount of oil. I figure as long as the oil tank is fairly full you're fine.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

n8r posted:

You're wasting money on that oil - Aprilias love Rotella T 15-40 and seem to not take well to synth in general. Not really sure what you're talking about regarding letting the oil drain out overnight. You do want to undo the cap to the right of the filter as that does drain a fair amount of oil. Filling / checking the oil is kinda stupid on these bikes - just stick with whatever the recommended fill quantity is then get it nice and warm / level then check the level. Also the difference in level between low and totally full is a seriously small amount of oil. I figure as long as the oil tank is fairly full you're fine.

I like to err on the low side of the sight glass, in between the L and H lines. That makes it easier to spot a rising oil level should my petcock fail (leaking fuel through vacuum line, flooding into crankcase). When the oil is at F, almost no sight glass remains.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Managed to lose the keys, thankfully I did figure out I couldn't possibly have left them in the bike when I put it away last week. Ended up finding them deep in the folding guest bed, which is in the same room as my gear, after about 45 minutes of searching. Worst thing about this all is that it took me 15 minutes of searching before thinking of just grabbing the spare keys and getting to wherever I needed to be like that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Did a little 'offroading'. Power slides and rolling burnouts at 80mph are hilarious.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

BlackMK4 posted:

Did a little 'offroading'. Power slides and rolling burnouts at 80mph are hilarious.

You were riding that offroad at 80mph?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For me 35mph off the pavement is like death wish speed.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Zool posted:

I got the R6 running right, after cleaning and adjusting the float heights on the carbs for the forth time, I traced the problem to two bad ignition coils. I was not able to rule out the possibility that I'm an idiot.

"If you think it's a fuelling problem..."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

"If you think it's a fuelling problem..."

Yeah those were the words I eventually said after we kept loving with it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, not doing it today but I found out what I will be doing this weekend.

C14 and ZX14s have a fairly common issue with either valve cover leaks and/or cam position sensor leaks.

Shouldn't be overly difficult, just time consuming and a pain in the rear end because of it being so cramped. I'll drop the plastics and hope I can get my hands in there enough without pulling the rad or header.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 16, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

n8r posted:

You were riding that offroad at 80mph?

Down the groomed straights, yes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

slidebite posted:

For whatever reason I routinely mix up posters slidebite and clutchpuck, and at first glance at the oil puddle pic thought this was some sort of Buell jokepost

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Buell marks where it parks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Snowdens Secret posted:

For whatever reason I routinely mix up posters slidebite and clutchpuck, and at first glance at the oil puddle pic thought this was some sort of Buell jokepost

That's kind of funny :)

Even more funny, I discovered this when my buddy was over on his heritage softtail. He did not let that go unnoticed especially since I routine raz him about his farm equipment.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Been knocking out some paintwork for the new season. Didn't take pics of the primed step or when I laid the black. But here are some later stages. Checkering:

Laying down base color (over the checkered striping)

Final color stage with some pin-striping:

Just need to color sand and then hit them with clear. Afterwards, I'll add the sexy badges I've worked up.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Awesome, can't wait to see the finished product.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I just got my bike out to wash it up and the bike gods said "hey bro, lemme take care of that pre-wash for ya"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

The Rotax engine (and Aprilias in general) definitely err on the low side - if in doubt, over-fill rather than under-fill, and get a free chain oiling (as long as your breather system is working properly). You have at least 300ml of headroom before there's even the vaguest chance of engine damage if you overfill, but as little as 50ml low can begin to cause problems.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, this:

slidebite posted:

C14 and ZX14s have a fairly common issue with either valve cover leaks and/or cam position sensor leaks.

Turns into this:

Notice how the entire top end of the motor is covered in a rubber sheet? Yeah. It is. The entire head is blanketed by it. End to end, one sheet. gently caress you rubber sheet. Completely blocks access to valve cover bolts.

I looked at the shop manual and checking the cam sensor seemed pretty straight forward so I'm thinking gently caress yeah, I'll do that. Even though it is still under warranty I'd rather learn to do it now so I have a rough idea what's ahead in 3 or so years when I check the valves. Well, sounds easy. Step 1 is something like "Remove fairings" Step 2: Remove rad. Might as well be Step 1: Remove motor. Step 2: Fix problem. Step 3: Reverse.

Oh well, still glad I'm doing it. A way to learn on a modern bike. Still unsure until I get more off the front to narrow it down but if I had to bet I'd go with the exhaust cam sensor. Probably just loose and leaking past the o-ring. I'm optimistic I can just snug it down to proper torque. I might pull it, but Kawi doesn't list the o-ring size in the parts list so I'll have to size it up. It's almost certainly some hosed up fractional metric size which I'll have to order in so I have to debate whether to do that or not. See how I feel tomorrow.

Stopped at about the halfway point as beverages are calling and I don't want to do this even slightly gunned. I'd probably gently caress up reinstalling my left subframe or something with my luck. (yes, I had to take out a piece of subframe).

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 19, 2013

SketchyEtch
Mar 9, 2013
Took my mirrors off... to flush my coolant. Coolant is supposed to be a milky rust brown right? Right? ... Crap

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Rode what is probably the twistiest road in FL. http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/163/Florida/The-Ozello-Trail-Ride.html

Took a lovely cell phone pic.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Rotax engine (and Aprilias in general) definitely err on the low side - if in doubt, over-fill rather than under-fill, and get a free chain oiling (as long as your breather system is working properly). You have at least 300ml of headroom before there's even the vaguest chance of engine damage if you overfill, but as little as 50ml low can begin to cause problems.

Why do you say that?

http://www.apriliafutura.co.uk/v2/workshop/servicing/52-oil-and-oil-change.html

"These engines do use oil so a little oil consumption is generally nothing to worry about. The dry sump arrangement means the oil level can get pretty low without doing any damage. Just don't rely on this."

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
As a Ducati owner :smug:, I rode my Ducati in the rain today and was surprised to see that it didn't stall or catch fire.

SketchyEtch
Mar 9, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As a Ducati owner :smug:, I rode my Ducati in the rain today and was surprised to see that it didn't stall or catch fire.

Because it melted?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Your engine can't stall if it is unable to start in the first place.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
Today I purchased my ride.

The only thing I got to take home today was a new helmet though. I'm riding it home tomorrow.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MotoMind posted:

Why do you say that?

http://www.apriliafutura.co.uk/v2/workshop/servicing/52-oil-and-oil-change.html

"These engines do use oil so a little oil consumption is generally nothing to worry about. The dry sump arrangement means the oil level can get pretty low without doing any damage. Just don't rely on this."

It means pretty low in the sight glass, not pretty low generally. If you're not seeing any oil once the engine is warmed up (and switched off for ten minutes) then get some in there quick. If it's at the top nothing particularly bad is going to happen (although that bit about the plug to drain the airbox is weird, and maybe a Futura-only thing, because the Mille and the Tuono both had a drain that emptied onto the chain).

Obviously if you really badly overfill it you're going to cause some damage but like I say the margin for error is a lot greater on the high side.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
I decided to clean my bike for the first time (It's also the first time I've washed anything myself in over 3 or 4 years...) and discovered that a previous owner has rounded the fairing bolts. Yay.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Pulled off the vacuum line to the petcock, put a vacuum plug on the port on the carb, and ran the bike until it stalled.

Then I loaded it in the back of a U-haul.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Pulled off the vacuum line to the petcock, put a vacuum plug on the port on the carb, and ran the bike until it stalled.

Then I loaded it in the back of a U-haul.
When I was a child, I spoke like a child etc etc...
I have put away my childish things.

But I unpacked most of them when I got there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Turned my C14 into a streetfighter
:haw:

Goes back together from here. Won't be done until next weekend though at the earliest as I'm out of town from Weds-Fri.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Leave it like that.

It's some sort of C1-4prilia Tuono and it owns

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

Goes back together from here. Won't be done until next weekend though at the earliest as I'm out of town from Weds-Fri.

The cruelest fate for a transformer, stuck forever between forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

slidebite posted:

Fabricate and mount some kind of goat-demon horns to those windscreen brackets and it's perfect.