Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Corte posted:

-gorgeous artwork
Mononoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Corte posted:

What I loved about the animes I listed(notable expceptions being Toradora and K-On obviously) are the following:
-mysterious pasts that you learn about over the length of the show
-interesting and complex characters
-smooth over-arcing plot that doesn't always dominate the story but has some substance to it
-good balance between comedy, action and emotional moments
-gorgeous artwork
-mature themes
-great music

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Corte posted:

-smooth over-arcing plot that doesn't always dominate the story but has some substance to it
-gorgeous artwork
-mature themes
-great music
Aside from comedy elements, Monster fits this and is excellent

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Redcrimson posted:

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Listen to this guy.

Mawaru Penguin Drum (by the same director as Utena) and Katanagatari might suit you, too.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Utena fits that list pretty perfectly. Princess Tutu is also a good choice, but might require a bit of patience to get there.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Corte posted:

What I loved about the animes I listed(notable expceptions being Toradora and K-On obviously) are the following:
-gorgeous artwork
-mature themes
-great music
As the others posted, Utena is a good choice. If you're interested in something that's like a cross between K-On! and the requirements listed above, you should also watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. (If so make sure to watch it in TV order not chronological order).

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 19, 2013

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I was just going to ask about Utena. I've just seen the film and it's obviously got a lot of gaps in. Is it a recap film? And should I watch the series or read the manga the film's based on?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Watch the series, it's the most famous incarnation.

The movie doesn't have anything to do with the TV series' plot, it's an alternate universe sort of deal.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

ShardPhoenix posted:

As the others posted, Utena is a good choice. If you're interested in something that's like a cross between K-On! and the requirements listed above, you should also watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. (If so make sure to watch it in TV order not chronological order).

I have seen Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya lauded a bunch here and elsewhere, if it's K-On combined with the long list of things I like then it could very well become my favourite anime of all time, I will have to give it priority. The TV order you mention is somehow achronological? I've just never heard this suggestion before since usually the TV order is the one that gets messed up like with the airing of Firefly. Utena certainly is working its way up the list also considering the numerous recommendations it has gotten so far.

Thanks for all the fast and thoughtful suggestions, I hope my long post was helpful. I'm definitely going to look into and give at least some of these series a shot. I'm on episode 3 of GitS: SAC, so far it's been interesting and amusing at times but I'm waiting for it to kick things up a notch.

House of Five Leaves might get the next nod after these as having rewatched Samurai Champloo recently I would love to be able to delve back into that era or genre or whatever again!

Levin fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 19, 2013

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Corte posted:

I have seen Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya lauded a bunch here and elsewhere, if it's K-On combined with the long list of things I like then it could very well become my favourite anime of all time, I will have to give it priority. The TV order you mention is somehow achronological? I've just never heard this suggestion before since usually the TV order is the one that gets messed up like with the airing of Firefly.
The TV order was (as far as I know) intentionally cut up in order to mix up the slice-of-life and mystery/thriller elements of the story better, while preserving some of the mystery. In chronological order it's a bit front-loaded. I watched it in TV order for the first time and ended up enjoying working it all out.

For reference here's the order I watched the 14 episodes of season 1:

The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina 00
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya P1
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya P2
The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya P3
Remote Island Syndrome P1
Mystérique Sign
Remote Island Syndrome P2
Someday in the Rain
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya P4
The Day of Sagittarius
Live Alive
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya P5
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya P6

If you do watch it, don't look up anything else about it. I enjoyed being surprised by the details of the premise.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 19, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, if you watch it in chronological order you wind up with a big exciting climax by the sixth episode and then 8 episodes of comparatively slower slice of life. It was definitely an artistic decision to air them initially out of order, with cleverly placed "foreshadowing" in episodes that happen after The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 6.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Corte posted:

I'm on episode 3 of GitS: SAC, so far it's been interesting and amusing at times but I'm waiting for it to kick things up a notch.
It's hard for me to think of a "realistic" series like GITS:SAC that is more "kick it up a notch".

Do you like holy poo poo political intrigue and secret police shenanigans? Do you like seeing the discord between a dude who is all flesh and blood and a fully augmented cyborg person who both work in the same office? Then you'll like GITS:SAC.

It's got some huge amounts of philosophical mumbo jumbo that can get a bit long in the tooth at times, but it's a drat fine show and drat well animated. I'd say it's one of my favorite shows period in terms of pure animation style and quality.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

It's hard for me to think of a "realistic" series like GITS:SAC that is more "kick it up a notch".

Do you like holy poo poo political intrigue and secret police shenanigans? Do you like seeing the discord between a dude who is all flesh and blood and a fully augmented cyborg person who both work in the same office? Then you'll like GITS:SAC.

It's got some huge amounts of philosophical mumbo jumbo that can get a bit long in the tooth at times, but it's a drat fine show and drat well animated. I'd say it's one of my favorite shows period in terms of pure animation style and quality.

I guess by kick it up a notch I meant have the over-arcing plot get into gear. I've enjoyed the first couple episodes but if it's just going to be encapsulated episodes where section 9 faces a problem and averts catastrophe I can't see it holding my attention for the entire series. I like the group dynamic and there's already been some interesting plots like the young man being transferred into a tank and going on a rather tame rampage to show ma and pa.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Corte posted:

I guess by kick it up a notch I meant have the over-arcing plot get into gear. I've enjoyed the first couple episodes but if it's just going to be encapsulated episodes where section 9 faces a problem and averts catastrophe I can't see it holding my attention for the entire series.

GitS:SAC is divided into "stand alone" and "complex" episodes. Stand alones are pretty self-explanatory, complex episodes are the actual story episodes that cover the overarching Laughing Man incident.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Corte posted:

Back again to take advantage of your fabulous suggestions.

-gorgeous artwork
-mature themes
-great music

I'd suggest checking out

Darker Than Black
Vision of Escaflowne (doesn't hit ALL the requirements, but most of them)
Ergo Proxy

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

Is what you're looking for right now something terrible that you won't enjoy? Because if so, then you're right, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is not what you're looking for right now.

If, however, you're looking for something that hits every bullet point on your list of things you liked, then you should be watching it.

Literally this. GitS:SAC is one of the most solid shows ever. However, I would suggest watching the original movie from '95 beforehand so you get a sense of what GitS is all about. It's also one of the best anime movies of all time, up there with Akira.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Utena movie wasn't a recap movie so much as an entirely different thing - it was almost intensely nonsensical and Utena and Anthy had vastly different personalities. And Utena had a much better fashion sense.

Though it does have the best line in cinema history. Did you think you were the only one who could turn into a car!?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Corte posted:

-gorgeous artwork
-mature themes
-great music

The Tatami Galaxy - if you can get over the weird art and general strangeness (you watched FLCL so you can) - sounds basically perfect for you. The 'overarching storyline' doesn't really become apparent until much later, though, other than some recurring themes.

Mushishi definitely fits some of those points and I think that it's probably the most mature anime I've ever seen and I generally recommend it to everyone, though it doesn't have any real plot other than the fun of piecing together the main character's backstory from the disjointed episodes. More or less the same comments apply for Kino's Journey which has already been recommended by someone else. I also second the recommendation for Mononoke if you like Mushishi and/or Kino's Journey and are looking for something similar-but-different.

If you find GITS:SAC to not have enough storybuilding continuity for you to enjoy then these suggestions are probably all trash though :shobon:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 19, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Endorph posted:

The Utena movie wasn't a recap movie so much as an entirely different thing - it was almost intensely nonsensical and Utena and Anthy had vastly different personalities. And Utena had a much better fashion sense.

I always saw it as an emotional/spiritual sequel, obviously not something that could have literally happened "after" the show ended but still a way to complete what was arguably an incomplete story.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I really really enjoyed Steins;Gate from this threads recommendation and I'm wondering if there's any enjoyment I'd get out of watching Chaos;Head and then Robotics;Notes?

From what I've read they aren't amazing but are they at least somewhat enjoyable to watch?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Robotics;Notes is decent. Not as well put together as Steins;Gate though.

Chaos;Head is to be avoided at all costs. It is the worst kind of bad: the boring kind.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Last Emperor posted:

I really really enjoyed Steins;Gate from this threads recommendation and I'm wondering if there's any enjoyment I'd get out of watching Chaos;Head and then Robotics;Notes?

From what I've read they aren't amazing but are they at least somewhat enjoyable to watch?

The Chaos;Head anime sucks, but the original visual novel is pretty good even if it kind of shits the bed at the end.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the Chaos;Head VN is alright but loses itself at the end, the R;N VN isn't translated but the anime was fairly enjoyable. It was nothing like S;G, though, beyond the 'wacky science' aspect.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah even though the last act kind of falls apart I'd still recommend reading the C;H VN.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Ah, a pretty unanimous response then, thanks!

After watching SG and Madoka recently I'm finding it tough to find something to top them, hence my interest in those two series.

Stay/Night is okay so far but it's not really gripping me like I expected it would after about 5 episodes. Don't get me wrong, it's enjoyable, just at the moment it's not something that is immediately making me want to move on to the next episode.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Emperor posted:

Stay/Night is okay so far but it's not really gripping me like I expected it would after about 5 episodes. Don't get me wrong, it's enjoyable, just at the moment it's not something that is immediately making me want to move on to the next episode.

That's because it's a bad anime adaptation. The VN is much better.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Stay/Night is another one where the VN is leaps and bounds better than the adaptation thereof.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ugh, don't watch the Fate/stay night anime. You don't have to play the VN to enjoy say Fate/Zero, but for FSN you're really better off reading the VN or not bothering at all.

E: Should've seen that one coming.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

You guys just made me realise how dumb I was/am. I had looked up beforehand about the series and heard about how the anime of Stay/Night sucked compared to the VN so I had opted to just go straight into Fate/Zero instead.

Unfortunately I'm an idiot who got the names of the two shows swapped around. No wonder I wasn't enjoying this as much as everyone said I should...

Last Emperor fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 20, 2013

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Thanks again for all the fast and thoughtful recommendations, I've got a long list to work through now. And thanks also for explaining GitS:SAC a bit more, so it's similar to The X-files in that it has stand alone or monster of the week episodes and plot ones, neat.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
A while back someone recommended the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou manga to me. I've read the first three volumes and I think it's lovely. The art has an elegant, lyrical quality and really brings out the feeling of a world in graceful deterioration. The writing, which is always from the POV the characters, does an excellent job of conveying a larger narrative without clods of exposition - the characters have a sense of history and place. A gentle, elegant story so far. I think this is the first thing I've read/seen that captures some of what I liked so much about Time of Eve, beyond the superficial resemblance of having robots in cafes (two of my favourite things, I suppose).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Emperor posted:

You guys just made me realise how dumb I was/am. I had looked up beforehand about the series and heard about how the anime of Stay/Night sucked compared to the VN so I had opted to just go straight into Fate/Zero instead.

Unfortunately I'm an idiot who got the names of the two shows swapped around. No wonder I wasn't enjoying this as much as everyone said I should...
It's fine, the weird naming scheme is, well, weird. I have no idea what Fate/Stay Night is supposed to mean, but Fate/Zero is called that because it's a prequel to F/SN.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

A while back someone recommended the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou manga to me. I've read the first three volumes and I think it's lovely. The art has an elegant, lyrical quality and really brings out the feeling of a world in graceful deterioration. The writing, which is always from the POV the characters, does an excellent job of conveying a larger narrative without clods of exposition - the characters have a sense of history and place. A gentle, elegant story so far. I think this is the first thing I've read/seen that captures some of what I liked so much about Time of Eve, beyond the superficial resemblance of having robots in cafes (two of my favourite things, I suppose).

God drat do I wish that YKK had an English version that I could buy.

As long as I'm wishing for poo poo I also wish the same for Aoi Hana and Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. :sigh: rip Jmanga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah YKK is amazing, one of my favorite all-time manga. I was so sad when it was over (though I also think it had the perfect ending).

E: Just to have an actual recommendation in here, if you like YKK you may enjoy Mushishi or even Haibane Renmei if you haven't seen them already.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 20, 2013

Eddie Dingle
Nov 4, 2007

Got a weasel teazel my pleazel got a weasel.
Ok, so Masaaki Yuasa is by far my favorite director in anime. I'm also a big fan of Satoshi Kon's work, as well as, most of Kenji Nakamura's. Is their anything else out there like these dude's stuff? I've also seen what Yoshitoshi Abe has to offer and while I enjoyed it I didn't love it. looking for something with some artsy and/or surreal elements. Oh, and I loooves FLCL too.

Also, is their anything with an intricate plot full of twists and turns along the lines of Legend of the Galactic Heroes, monster or FMA/FMAB?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Watch the series, it's the most famous incarnation.

The movie doesn't have anything to do with the TV series' plot, it's an alternate universe sort of deal.

That's really confusing then. Thanks, though!

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Endorph posted:

It's fine, the weird naming scheme is, well, weird. I have no idea what Fate/Stay Night is supposed to mean, but Fate/Zero is called that because it's a prequel to F/SN.

I'll just do what you guys recommended and get through the VN of Stay/Night. I've never actually tried one before so it'd be a good introduction.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eddie Dingle posted:

Ok, so Masaaki Yuasa is by far my favorite director in anime. I'm also a big fan of Satoshi Kon's work, as well as, most of Kenji Nakamura's. Is their anything else out there like these dude's stuff? I've also seen what Yoshitoshi Abe has to offer and while I enjoyed it I didn't love it. looking for something with some artsy and/or surreal elements. Oh, and I loooves FLCL too.

Kunihiko Ikuhara (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Mawaru Penguin Drum) is less prolific but excellent.

Hiroyuki Imaishi isn't always as consciously "artsy" as the others, in part because he usually collaborates with a screenwriter instead of writing his own scripts, but Dead Leaves and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt are really cool and experimental in a visual/stylistic sense.

Mahiro Maeda doesn't seem to have a ton of work where he was the sole director, but he worked on the designs of the Angels in Evangelion and directed Gankutsuou.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 21, 2013

Eddie Dingle
Nov 4, 2007

Got a weasel teazel my pleazel got a weasel.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kunihiko Ikuhara (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Mawaru Penguin Drum) is less prolific but excellent.

Hiroyuki Imaishi isn't always as consciously "artsy" as the others, in part because he usually collaborates with a screenwriter instead of writing his own scripts, but Dead Leaves and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt are really cool and experimental from in a visual/stylistic sense.

Cool, thanks. I watched Penguin Drum a while back and really liked it, so I guess It's on to Utena now.

Panty and Stocking looks really interesting, but I don't generally find anime's brand of humor that funny. I do find FLCL, Cowboy Bebop/champloo, and Golden boy to be genuinely hilarious though. Is it something that might be up my alley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eddie Dingle posted:

Cool, thanks. I watched Penguin Drum a while back and really liked it, so I guess It's on to Utena now.

Panty and Stocking looks really interesting, but I don't generally find anime's brand of humor that funny. I do find FLCL, Cowboy Bebop/champloo, and Golden boy to be genuinely hilarious though. Is it something that might be up my alley?

Imaishi directed Haruhara Haruko's rampage in the hospital, so if you liked the distorted animation and slapstick comedy of FLCL P&S is very much more of the same.

The rest of P&S's sense of humor is very influenced by Western, Cartoon Network-type shows, and if that's still not enough the English dub tweaks or outright replaces a lot of the jokes with stuff American audiences would recognize. (It's a good dub, too.)

• Locked thread