Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Here is Top 32 for Injustice at ECT, starts at 12pm EST on KombatNetwork tomorrow: http://testyourmight.com/threads/update-east-coast-throwdown-v-injustice-top-32-to-resume-tomorrow-at-12-noon-est.32659/

Edit: I don't remember if I linked this before, but this is a very, very well put together Catwoman video, covering optimal punish combos for various situations, starters, amounts of meter, etc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqYsOXxgrYw

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Off of various normals or strings (2, 3, f23, probably some others) you can do:

XX db2~MB b3 j3 32 (1 or 2 hits) XX bf2

The Acid Flower ender does the most damage and makes them recover standing. You could instead cancel into far Teeth (db3~f) but most characters can roll and backdash or just wakeup attack out of it.

If you throw Teeth and land a j2, you get this:

j2 (boom) Far Teeth j3 (boom) Far Teeth j3 (boom) b3 32 (1 hit) XX Acid Flower
j2 (boom) Far Teeth j3 (boom) Far Teeth slight pause 33 boom 32 XX Acid Flower

The first is more damage, the second is easier.

Joker would have a stronger oki game with Teeth if he had a string that was both special cancelable and caused hard knockdown like Harley's 112, but as far as I have seen he does not. However, on stages with background bounce interactibles, you can combo into that and then throw close Teeth because the interactible acts as a hard knockdown.

I'm still learning how to cancel moves, any tips on learning that? I really would like to get better with Joker, I love playing Doomsday but I'm looking for a third character that's not Grundy/Doomsday and I just love the Joker's moveset.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Interstellar Owl posted:

I'm still learning how to cancel moves, any tips on learning that? I really would like to get better with Joker, I love playing Doomsday but I'm looking for a third character that's not Grundy/Doomsday and I just love the Joker's moveset.

In the mentioned '32 (1 or 2 hits) XX bf2' you need to finish the bf2 input before the last hit of the 32 string hits. You need to make sure that you only push 3 once and 2 once, if you do 322 xx bf2, the bf2 will not come out.

Basically, precise inputs within the time frame.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Top 32 at ECT starting up now:

http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Prism posted:

Basically, who can I take it slow with and then capitalize on openings left to me with short strings?

Catwoman! Really! I can't pull off a combo above 30%, and I've been doing really well. She's really fast, so you're able to punish more things than a lot of other characters can. Just block and hit back until you're comfortable with branching out into more complicated stuff.

E ^^^ Watching that stream. Best part is when the commentator says "Someone in that crowd is cursing over there. Prolly fuckin' Tom Brady again."

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 19, 2013

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Fellblade posted:

In the mentioned '32 (1 or 2 hits) XX bf2' you need to finish the bf2 input before the last hit of the 32 string hits. You need to make sure that you only push 3 once and 2 once, if you do 322 xx bf2, the bf2 will not come out.

Basically, precise inputs within the time frame.

Oh, I thought it had something to do with the thing that burns meter to bounce cancel, but the "XX" is something else. It's all about input timing, thanks!

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Interstellar Owl posted:

Oh, I thought it had something to do with the thing that burns meter to bounce cancel, but the "XX" is something else. It's all about input timing, thanks!

Nah, you're thinking of 'bounce cancelling'. The notation for that would be something like DF-MB or DB-MB. Also, you can totally bounce cancel with DF/DB instead of that weird dash, wait, meterburn notation that's written in the game and it made bounce cancelling a thing I could actually do now.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Thank God, that's what was confusing me, I saw the xx and saw it was cancel and associated it with that, so I was trying to do these combo strings and it was just weird and it felt weird, totally awesome that it was cleared up for me.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Are the names backwards right now? I've only ever seen Jailhouse play Cyborg.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jmcrofts posted:

Are the names backwards right now? I've only ever seen Jailhouse play Cyborg.

No, Jailhouse plays green lantern, he plays Cyborg online sometimes, he whipped him out for like the first match yesterday he had but quickly went back to GL after 1 loss.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

From the KombatNetwork stream chat, Paulo says:

quote:

Pakostevens: ds changes are -9 on low gunshot (from -4), slightly less falling after ags, less chip on lgs, ss isn't punishable on hit anymore its +4 now
Where ds is Deathstroke, ags is air gunshot, lgs is low gunshot, and ss is sword spin (I think the db3 not the df3).

Presumably this is in the Batgirl patch. Full patch notes are expected to be released Monday night.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Where ds is Deathstroke, ags is air gunshot, lgs is low gunshot, and ss is sword spin (I think the db3 not the df3).

Presumably this is in the Batgirl patch. Full patch notes are expected to be released Monday night.

At least he got a buff along with the Nerf I don't want to see any characters become unviable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JackDarko posted:

At least he got a buff along with the Nerf I don't want to see any characters become unviable.

Unless they replace his trait with a suicide button, Deathstroke's not in any danger of becoming unviable.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Lurdiak posted:

Unless they replace his trait with a suicide button, Deathstroke's not in any danger of becoming unviable.

It's more that they aren't just nerfing things and are also buffing the characters. MK9 had a lot of characters disappear from the tourney scene due to characters only getting nerfs.

That suicide button would be great for mind games if you could cancel it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

He already has that though.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Why the hell would they buff the sword spin? Was Boon somehow offended that people were actually able to get in on Deathstroke?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It only mentions on hit, not on block. Don't get hit and you'll probably still be able to punish.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

AnonSpore posted:

It only mentions on hit, not on block. Don't get hit and you'll probably still be able to punish.

Ah, must've missed that part. Okay, that sounds a bit more fair.
Any notable non-Deathstroke changes?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Sword Spin is db3, right, not df3?

If so, that needed some sort of buff, it was pretty much entirely useless.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Ah, must've missed that part. Okay, that sounds a bit more fair.
Any notable non-Deathstroke changes?

Fingers crossed Sinestros df2 arachnid does indeed hit mid like it's been rumored it will after patch.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

Fingers crossed Sinestros df2 arachnid does indeed hit mid like it's been rumored it will after patch.

Let Sinestro meter burn his trait to instantly get 1 bar of it. :getin:

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Man, if Flash wasn't already a bad matchup for DS, that poo poo is free now. Psycho crusher punish from 3/4 screen on both standing and low gun shots.

Also in this patch:

Superman's breath to be changed to -1 on block
Sinestro's trait loads 35% faster and d,f+2 to hit mid and recover at -11F

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Equilibrium posted:

Sinestro's trait loads 35% faster and d,f+2 to hit mid and recover at -11F

I like my idea better, but I'll take it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Equilibrium posted:

Sinestro's trait loads 35% faster

:golfclap:

You done good here, NRS. You done good.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AndyElusive posted:

:golfclap:

You done good here, NRS. You done good.

I'm really hosed the next time we fight.

Er, I mean, :supaburn: Flash is imba underpowered! No Flash buffs?? NRS IS loving ME!!:supaburn:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy Calamity! posted:

You mean you don't want to play superhero with me until the Batgirl patch?

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AndyElusive posted:

You mean you don't want to play superhero with me until the Batgirl patch?

Daww, I thought the patch was sooner! I fell off the last few days, will definitely be on tonight or tomorrow.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
AGHGHG This game really needs a system in place to punish turtling. Sick of being the guy always doing the all work.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

PerfectLegend kicking rear end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR-LbPNLDuQ

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

gannyGrabber posted:

AGHGHG This game really needs a system in place to punish turtling.
It sure doesn't.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's got this system called throws, pretty good for punishing turtling.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Holy Calamity! posted:

Er, I mean, :supaburn: Flash is imba underpowered! No Flash buffs?? NRS IS loving ME!!:supaburn:

I know you're not serious but oh lord does Flash ever not need to be buffed. He's one scary opponent.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

AnonSpore posted:

I think the issue was even if it hit someone, they could punish you after without meter lol.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dosvidanya posted:

I think the issue was even if it hit someone, they could punish you after without meter lol.

Did you mean to quote someone else...?

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Did you mean to quote someone else...?

No. Deathstroke's spin was like a self tech trap where if you managed to land a hit with it, pushing a button afterward meant you were going to eat something. The issue wasn't never being hit, or not being able to punish it. The problem was there was no reason to use it for DS players.

Even now with the "+4" it'll just make everyone return to that weird neutral state that JMCrofts talked about.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dosvidanya posted:

No. Deathstroke's spin was like a self tech trap where if you managed to land a hit with it, pushing a button afterward meant you were going to eat something. The issue wasn't never being hit, or not being able to punish it. The problem was there was no reason to use it for DS players.

Even now with the "+4" it'll just make everyone return to that weird neutral state that JMCrofts talked about.

Well there was a reason to use it if you felt like EX-ing it. It's the best reversal he's got.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Dosvidanya posted:

I'm still not seeing how that's relevant to my post, which was a response to another poster misinterpreting safe on hit as safe on block.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Injustice is about to start up on ECT.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

Well there was a reason to use it if you felt like EX-ing it. It's the best reversal he's got.

I mentioned meter earlier but yeah

AnonSpore posted:

I'm still not seeing how that's relevant to my post, which was a response to another poster misinterpreting safe on hit as safe on block.

I was elaborating on your non-elaboration. I don't see why this is an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

gannyGrabber posted:

AGHGHG This game really needs a system in place to punish turtling. Sick of being the guy always doing the all work.

Turtling won't mean anything once Batgirl is released. That teleport... :getin:

• Locked thread