Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Gendo posted:

That is a great deal for 60 - 80 hours of gameplay depending how nuts you are about hitting 100% across the board.

This man speaks truth. Finally beat it tonight after 21 or so hours and I finished with only 38.3 percent finished. Gonna try to 100% it because i'm having fun platforming around town, we'll see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

Krakhan posted:

For those struggling with wall jumping, when you press up against a wall, when you then press away, there's one of two sprites that appear (depending which way you're facing) so that when you press jump, you wall jump.

To add to this, remember not to roll your thumb across the d pad when switching direction; as it can cause you to break out of tumbling animation if you hit up or down. Or maybe I'm just too heavy on the d pad.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Would anyone have advice for someone in Australia whose American Wii U is bricked? There was a loss of power when downloading the update and it immediately died. I called Nintendo Australia and their tone wasn't optimistic. They were like 'You can try to send it back and we'll have a look at it but we may not have the correct parts because it's American.' Am I just screwed?

Wouldn't it be a matter of software, not parts? And have you tried to call Nintendo America?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Aeros Wilhelm posted:

Wouldn't it be a matter of software, not parts? And have you tried to call Nintendo America?

They told me in an email that they don't deal with customers who are located in Australia.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I don't really get this whole "Year of Luigi" thing since I don't think Luigi is that great (I would rather have a "year of WARIO" cause Wario is the best) so the Super Luigi U thing doesn't excite me at all. But goddamn am I glad to get some loving Smash Bros. info soon FINALLY

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Macaluso posted:

So I don't really get this whole "Year of Luigi" thing since I don't think Luigi is that great

Well, I don't get YOU. :colbert:

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/19/smash-bros-mario-mario-kart-in-upcoming-nintendo-direct

Nintendo has confirmed that Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. will appear in a Nintendo Direct before E3. The news comes via Nintendo of America’s Twitter account, which wrote “#IwataSays We will discuss new Smash Bros., 3D Mario game, Mario Kart and other Wii U titles in our #NintendoDirectNA before the start of E3.”

This seems like good news to me. Smash Bros and a 3D Mario Game sound kickass in my book. Nintendo would "win" e3 without even caring about e3.

Coupled with the previous news that e3 titles will be playable in best buys across the country, Nintendo might have come up with a good marketing strategy. Time will tell.

Runaway Five fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 20, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Macaluso posted:

So I don't really get this whole "Year of Luigi" thing since I don't think Luigi is that great (I would rather have a "year of WARIO" cause Wario is the best) so the Super Luigi U thing doesn't excite me at all. But goddamn am I glad to get some loving Smash Bros. info soon FINALLY

They seem to be trying to promote him as a distinct character. There was a survey question in Club Nintendo recently asking people what they thought his defining characteristics are.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I hope next year is Year of Waluigi.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
1. Scared of ghosts (Luigis Mansion).
2. Even when going on super incredible adventures, still gets dicked out of the spotlight (Paper Mario TYD).
3. Is totally smart enough to find that Mario (Mario is Missing)
4. Kinda rapey (Mario is Missing DOS).

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Spacebump posted:

Amen.

How have they not given him his own game yet?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Remember when Nintendo celebrated the Metroid anniversary by reminding everyone via Twitter that they could buy Metroid 2 on 3DS VC? Ah, memories.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 20, 2013

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Hey man Luigi is cool :colbert: better than Mario who has no personality!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Spacebump posted:

Waluigi's Apartment. The object of the game is to scare your neighbors.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The only Waluigi game that should get made is one where he and Wario are two buddy cops on a grand point and click adventure. :colbert:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

WendigoJohnson posted:

The only Waluigi game that should get made is one where he and Wario are two buddy cops on a grand point and click adventure. :colbert:

I'm picturing Sam & Max Hit The Road: Mushroom Kingdom and I'm loving it :allears:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Wario & Waluigi: WarioWare Police. To win the game you just visit the nearby convenience store and use the bathroom over and over again.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Three separate categories of mircrogames for peeing, eating shoplifted snacks, and highfiving each other as you pass in/out of the washroom.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

gobbledygoat posted:

Three separate categories of mircrogames for peeing, eating shoplifted snacks, and highfiving each other as you pass in/out of the washroom.

Artist's rendition of gameplay footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mOki8qn8Ko

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
A GTA styled game starring Waluigi in the Mushroom Kingdom. The goal is to create as much chaos as possible using items like banana peels, shells, and other classic Mario power-ups. Waluigi can kick Toads out of karts. The police are replaced by the Mario Bros, as you cause more problems they use better power-ups. (5 star in GTA would translate to Mario and Luigi getting star power-ups while chasing you.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Waluigi's Apartment. The object of the game is to scare your neighbors.

You could probably make a decent Neighbours From Hell clone with Waluigi.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Whatever kind of game it is, it needs to have the A button be crotch chop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6CLfZl0m88

Edit: Which reminds me, if you own a Wii but not Mario Strikers Charged, you are stupid. Im sorry if that sounds harsh, but its true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxP6gKs1Jp0

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 20, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Remember when Nintendo celebrated the Metroid anniversary by remind everyone they could buy Metroid 2 on 3DS VC? Ah, memories.

Yeah, Other M turfed that franchise harder than most in recent memory. I don't think Ninendo's going to go back to it unless/until they're on stable ground. :smith:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gutcruncher posted:

Whatever kind of game it is, it needs to have the A button be crotch chop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6CLfZl0m88

Edit: Which reminds me, if you own a Wii but not Mario Strikers Charged, you are stupid. Im sorry if that sounds harsh, but its true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxP6gKs1Jp0

Strikers Charged was the only spinoff game outside of Paper Mario 1,2, and Super Mario RPG that actually gave the characters, character.

Like they should have done the last two new Super Mario bros. with the same bizarre over the top action and settings. Yes Mario was briefly encroaching on Sonic Attitude territory, but it was brief and it worked.

Also I'm not sure if this is true or not but I heard Wario's Nose is red because he was really supposed to be a lush. Which was also a call back to when Nintendo itself had other businesses instead of videogames. They supposedly made Nintendo beer among other things.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 20, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spacebump posted:

A GTA styled game starring Waluigi in the Mushroom Kingdom. The goal is to create as much chaos as possible using items like banana peels, shells, and other classic Mario power-ups. Waluigi can kick Toads out of karts. The police are replaced by the Mario Bros, as you cause more problems they use better power-ups. (5 star in GTA would translate to Mario and Luigi getting star power-ups while chasing you.)

I love this. Just vandalize the crap out of the mushroom kingdom, dress as Mario/Luigi to create imposter situations and take on jobs from rival "gangs" like Bowser, Wart and the Boos. The goal being to steal enough money to build your rival mushroom kingdom.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Would anyone have advice for someone in Australia whose American Wii U is bricked? There was a loss of power when downloading the update and it immediately died. I called Nintendo Australia and their tone wasn't optimistic. They were like 'You can try to send it back and we'll have a look at it but we may not have the correct parts because it's American.' Am I just screwed?

That really sucks, maybe commission a kind goon in SA mart to send it to and have them send it in for repair and you give them a little cash for the trouble? I'm sure shipping the thing to and from the US will probably be expensive, but it can't be as bad as just having a 300+ dollar paperweight.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

katkillad2 posted:

That really sucks, maybe commission a kind goon in SA mart to send it to and have them send it in for repair and you give them a little cash for the trouble? I'm sure shipping the thing to and from the US will probably be expensive, but it can't be as bad as just having a 300+ dollar paperweight.
If you use EMS/Oceana mailing services and ship a console to America, more than likely the cost is going to be around 60-90 bucks. It's not cheap at all, especially since the Wii-U is pretty heavy with the tablet and everything.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Yeah I'm thinking the postage combined with repair cost would cancel out the value of the console. I don't know what to do. I can't even sell the gamepad as there are no games that support 2 gamepads yet.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Yeah I'm thinking the postage combined with repair cost would cancel out the value of the console. I don't know what to do. I can't even sell the gamepad as there are no games that support 2 gamepads yet.

NOA would most likely repair the console for free.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

SeANMcBAY posted:

NOA would most likely repair the console for free.

Nah, there was technically no defect in the workmanship of the console, and it warns you not to lose power during the update. I'd have to pay for it.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

AngryCaterpillar posted:

What kind of screwed are we talking of here?

Like won't turn on at all? Or turns on, but gives some sort of bricked screen?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Crawfish posted:

What kind of screwed are we talking of here?

Like won't turn on at all? Or turns on, but gives some sort of bricked screen?

The power light on the console lights up blue, and that's it. No image or sound from TV or gamepad.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I doubt this will actually work, but have you tried that button combination I honestly can't remember right now that helped people when the update before the last one accidentally bricked a whole lot of consoles?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Crawfish posted:

I doubt this will actually work, but have you tried that button combination I honestly can't remember right now that helped people when the update before the last one accidentally bricked a whole lot of consoles?

No I haven't tell me tell me tell me

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I thought this would be something googleable, but I haven't had any luck tracking it down again yet.
Hold on a few whilst I try to find it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You're not confusing it with the 3DS button code, are you?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I don't think so, but I could be. I honestly can't find a thing about this on the internet, but I swear hearing about it not too long ago.

Regardless, sorry AngryCaterpillar. Looks like I was probably wrong.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Thanks anyway. I'll keep exploring my options.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So one last thing before I give up, have you tried unplugging the thing from the wall and replugging it back in and turning it on and off a few times?

It sounds useless and stupid, but it sounds like it's helped othere people in a similar situation.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Crawfish posted:

So one last thing before I give up, have you tried unplugging the thing from the wall and replugging it back in and turning it on and off a few times?

It sounds useless and stupid, but it sounds like it's helped othere people in a similar situation.

Yeah that's the first thing I tried when it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Game and Wario has a Crowdfarter page now. Or alternatively, someone at Nintendo is taking a giant swing at Kickstarter.

• Locked thread